All Square for Retail Reviews

Janna

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Square is super easy and I love it.

Shawn

Fantastic!

I have been using this register for sometime now. I use it for all my transactions and even take it with me for fairs and markets. I do all my inventory with it and the barcode scanner it’s simple. I have low inventory alerts set up to remind me to reorder products. You can create a personalized customer file for each customer and track their sales. I have square loyalty which lets you set up a customer loyalty program to reward regular customers.

Pros

I love how it’s so easy to use and very user friendly. I have the Square Register which has a large screen for me and a small screen in the front for the customers transaction. It is easy to add inventory by name and barcode with the barcode scanner. You can set up alerts, and I can still use it for cash transactions. I have the cash drawer accessory so it opens as soon as soon as you complete cash sale. It is basically a very advanced and convenient cash register that isn’t large and bulky.

Cons

The price is a little steep for small businesses. You can get the system that requires an iPad but I didn’t see the point. If you don’t have an iPad you have to purchase that in addition. I settled for the standalone register.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

I switched because this was more lightweight and more advanced. I needed a better way for inventory and I wanted to initiate a customer loyalty program.

Coree

Perfect On-the-Go Payment Solution!

When I first began using Square, it was simply for fundraisers. My husband and I would participate in events, and we would allow patrons to make donations to the charity we were fundraising for. Now, as I begin designing my online store for home decor and crafts that I sell, there was no guessing on where I would have my store set up. Square has truly made it that easy to work with, that I suggest using them to everyone I know!

Pros

I absolutely LOVE the ease of use of Square! The app allows you to literally set up your shop in mere minutes, and then allows you to input your products with prices for an easy tap to add it to your customer's cart. I especially love the Square business card that holds all my funds, which makes keeping business money separate from family funds so much easier!

Cons

I honestly cannot think of anything that I do not love about this software. It is designed in a way that allows even the least techy person to set up their store and products, and go through a checkout seamlessly.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

PayPal's app is not as intuitive, and is not as easy to use as the Square for Retail app is. If you are just punching in amounts and charging cards, it was fine. But adding products with variations just became too difficult, and led me away from wanting to use them for my online store.

Crayle

I'm Not Sure Why This Is The Default For So Many

I haven't processed any sales. I don't trust the company enough to handle my money. They claim to be for mobile businesses, but require a desktop to manage your account. Many pages of their site were broken when I did my set up. Their customer service leaves much to be desired.

Pros

The fee structure is lower than some, and they send first time users a free mag strip reader. That's really the only benefit I can see.

Cons

-You can't manage your account from your phone. Most options are grayed out and say "desktop required." -Once I got to my desktop, the site was really buggy and hard to use. For instance, little black dialogue boxes telling what kind of info to put in each field hover over the space you actually need to type in when you do your account set-up. When you hit the "X" in the corner of the dialogue box that is blocking your view of the typing area, a full-screen pop-up asks "Are you sure you want to leave setup?" No, I don't want to leave setup, I just need this box out of the way. My first form that I filled out was full of typos, because I couldn't see the field to type in through the black dialogue boxes. -Their customer service is REALLY bad. When I had trouble signing up for the free card reader, I used the WORST customer service bot I've ever seen. It just kept sending bursts of 3-5 messages with links to broken pages on their website based on key words before I could even fully type my question. Then the human customer service rep I chatted with wanted to add things to my cart for me and kept trying to assume the sale before actually addressing my problem.

Jared

November 2022

Pros

The user interface of square is very easy to use and can be learned by young employees with little to no difficulty.

Cons

The simple user interface can appear unprofessional to some customers.

Craig

Square is a great payment platform for retail stores.

This system works great for pop-ups and retail stores. You can also track what you sell and square sends you emails when you are low on products. We will continue to use Square

Pros

How simple it is to set up. You know exactly how much you are being charged. There is no hidden extra add ons. Square updated the os, so now if your customer wants to return 1 item and they purchased two, you just pull up the item and hit return.

Cons

Just make sure you do all the updates for square and os system for any pad you are using. We use an Ipad and it works great! Not much to not like.

Reasons for choosing Square for Retail

I liked the way it looked. Especially when it was paired with Apple products. Most importantly it was easy to use. This made it very easy to train our employees.

Mayela

The simplest payment processing system

I have a small a small business and the square software works well for my needs

Pros

The software is very easy to install. The pairing of the software with either the magstripe or the contactless reader is quite fast. Processing payments is a breeze and both readers can be used on the go or a set location.

Cons

I don’t have any problems with the software itself. It would be nice to have a better rate for card processing.

Reasons for choosing Square for Retail

I liked the fact that there was not contract or installation fees. Also there is no monthly or retal fees. The equipment is inexpensive.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

I was unsatisfied with the service and the fees paid

Marc

Daily User

Totally love it. i'm happy with the features, and I'm sure that by being well funded I will continue to see new features come up, unlike software I previously used that wasn't as well funded.

Pros

I enjoy easily keeping track of my customer's info, including the ability to create my own custom fields and also group customers. These features make it easy for me to note a history with a customer, aside from just their purchases. Grouping customers allows me to enter a location, find the group of customers there, and know everyones name as a result of this reference

Cons

I wish it were easier to transfer my client lest from other software, but thats the nature of software I guess.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

CODA required too much hands-on and coding, which is not my forté. Nor do I have the time.

Janna

Square is super easy and I love it.

Overall, it's awesome, super easy to use and I love it.

Pros

I love how easy it was to start taking credit cards and to use Square as my POS. It syncs to my accounting software automatically and keeps track of all my products, invoices and charges.

Cons

There isn't an automatic section for shipping and I have to add it manually as its own category. Not sure why they haven't built this into their invoicing platform yet even though so many people have asked about this.

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

Easier to use and keep a list of my products as my POS. The swiper is also easier to use.

Industry: Publishing

A Useful Solution for your eCommerce Needs

Overall I am pleased with Square because, for my business at least, it covers most of my needs. Set up could not be easier. Simply log-in to the application and begin creating store items. You can even allocate a low inventory alert so that you will always know if your inventory supplies are dwindling. It's very easy to assign a bank account to Square and the approval process, unlike some eCommerce providers, is almost instantaneous. Setting up the seller page is also easy and Square offers a variety of templates to choose from. No programming knowledge is needed and the page is largely WYSIWYG, so there are no surprises. The site displays well across PCs, tables, and phones.

Pros

Square for Retail enables you to easily create an online eCommerce store, list your products, and sell them. It's quite simple to use, and this is perhaps what is the best reason to use Square. It is particularly useful for small businesses trying to build sales via social media and other online avenues. At the same time, it is useful for brick-and-mortar stores as well. While I use it for online sales, several of my colleagues use Square in their stores.

Cons

A big drawback is that Square (as of the writing of this review) is unable to process payments from outside the United States. Thus, if you anticipate worldwide sales, Square may not be the best solution for your business. A second drawback is that it can be difficult to reach a live customer service representative. Unlike most companies, in which one simply phones in for service, Square requires that you first create a trouble ticket (at which point you will be assigned a case number). You then use the case number when phoning customer service. It's not horrible but in today's business world it's kind of annoying and time consuming. Square also lacks live online help, which is another downside.

Reasons for choosing Square for Retail

Square provided everything we needed for our small business in terms of selling online. Additionally, with the Square reader, we are able to take our store to any event. For example, as a book publisher, we can sell our books at writers' conferences and not be limited to accepting cash only. The portable Square reader enables us to accept credit card payments and to keep inventory and accounting records via the Square store front. Ultimately I would rate Square a 10 (on a scale of 1-10) were it not for the restrictions that prevent us selling to international customers on the web. If this isn't a concern for your business, then I definitely recommend that you look into this selling solution.

Danielle

Industry: Cosmetics

December 2022

Square Retail

This product eliminates the need all the pos machines major retail stores use.

Pros

I like the fact that it is lightweight. I can attach it to my ipad and iphone for pos. This product eliminates the need all the pos machines major retail stores use.

Cons

I do not have any issues with this software.

Excellent Software with Hardware Shortcomings

Overall, Square for Retail is a powerful software that allows you to take sales portably with a very small footprint. However, the hardware has catching up to do.

Pros

Square easily handles transactions for our church book stall. It provides up-to-date inventory and online reporting for tax purposes. You can easily add sales, promotions, and other tailor-made functions.

Cons

What I like least about this software is the hardware. We utilize the Square Terminal, which was attractive as a portable register in that it takes credit cards via swipe and chip, but also prints receipts. The optional scanner is even nicer to use. However, for the scanner to work, the terminal must be plugged into an outlet, which robs it of its portable nature. Additionally, adding inventory via the Terminal is cumbersome and slow. Imagine typing in inventory titles using a small smart phone that is slower than a smart phone.

Reasons for choosing Square for Retail

Square for Retail was a more reputable brand with better rates via the Terminal and had more attractive hardware in its Terminal product.

Itzak

Perfect POS for small business owners

Incredibly user friendly, nicely designed interface and overall no issues.

Pros

Square pretty much takes all the leg work out of setting up a POS system for any business, but I'll speak specifically as a small business owner. -If you're a first time small business owner, save yourself the headache and just go with Square; you might be able to get a lower merchant fees rate with another service, but then you have to deal with the hassle of setting up a separate POS register, possibly a separate app you'd have to setup on an iPad if that's what you plan to use, setting up the merchant account, etc. With Square, it's all wrapped into one easy setup. -Easy to setup on an iPad, create a catalog of items to sell and process payments -The item catalog screen is very user friendly and customizable -Doing refunds is easy -Reports are incredibly easy to run -Square integrates with QuickBooks online, so it's been seamless to link all my Square sales to my accounting books and makes my tax filings much more accurate -Creating invoices is also easy and gives a professional look to my invoice emails -Ability to create forms that require signature, so no need for another digital signature service (unless you need more details, see Cons below)

Cons

-I wish you could have the same virtual terminal on the iPad on desktop as well. There have been times when my iPad crapped out and had to use my laptop, and it's not the same experience. -If you're using the signature service for forms that you need to send out, it only records the signature itself and nothing else. Either it's a user error on my part, or they need to update it, but it needs more customization.

Industry: Alternative Medicine

June 2022

Let Square free You

I Get paid without having to run around the office

Pros

I love that I can use my Square terminal anywhere. Whether I am at an event or in the back room, I can get paid.

Cons

I do find that sometimes the payouts can be confusing

Cost and ease of use

Reasons for switching to Square for Retail

cost ease of use. I got tired of going to my computer to check patients out

Elizabeth

Square Payments Processing is a good credit card processing system

Square is very convenient specially attending off-site events. We were able to get it up and going at any time. Other Points of Sales software is very clunky when it comes to a mobile application. Because of the versatility and ease of use, we do recommend it for small businesses.

Pros

Square is a payment processing system with supporting systems such as Point of Sale. We initially did the trial period to determine if it meets our requirements. It was very user-friendly and easy to use. The training was easy for the staff. If we had any issues, customer support from Square was always available. Sometimes we did have a short wait, but issues were always resolved.

Cons

Square didn't have a many features as other Point of Sales software. Reporting and analytics were pretty limited. The software did have some, but not as much as we needed. Support was available, but sometimes we had to wait to get help.

Reasons for choosing Square for Retail

This is the same as stated above regarding convenience of use.

Edgar

Small business turned Large with Square

Square has helped my business scale to greater heights, more than I could have imagined. The POS is a great addition. My favorite feature is the management of customers, receipts, and automated thank you messages. If I was not using Square but ran into someone using it, I would surely be jumping ship.

Pros

Square is free and easy to maneuver. With no experience, Square appointments made it easy to start my business and manage it. Customers can book on the platform and I can manage appointments and inventory, as well as run my website.

Cons

Square is easily the first choice for anyone trying to start a business. However, some features may seem a challenge to access without any guidance or guide. An example is learning about taxes being applied the first time I used the POS system. Coincidentally, the party I was conducting business with was a tax-exempt business and I had no idea how to bypass the tax.

Kelsey

First time Square user

Work for a company that only exists for 2 months of the year (winter seasonal), and was very easy to have people trained on it in a short period of time. Easy for customers to use online

Pros

Use this product for just 6 weeks, was very very easy to learn and had people using it that were generally not good at computers. They also had an easy time using it. Easy to change product description at one location or across all locations. Really enjoyed the reports, easy to manipulate

Cons

Really really challenging to use on a ipad for scheduling and adjusting people's time cards. Was very slow and would regularly crash. (This was specific for this app, all other functions on the ipad worked fine and quickly). Online orders, loved that when they came through you could update the progressed. HATED that you could not undo it. Would like to see the function that you could go forward and backwards, not just forwards. Online orders - customers would enter address online and it would go to the shop "closest" to their location. However this was closest as the crow flies, not closest for driving directions. Would love to see it function off of driving directions. Frequently, a people would make a curbside order and they would end up going to the second or third closest location to where they lived due to this

Elena