All BigCommerce Reviews

Kavindu Githsara

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Reviewed December 2022

Reliable and Powerful Ecommerce Management Platform

First of all, i have to say, this platform will never collapse your financial stability. It really worth for your investment. BigCommerce is the main reason to grow our product sales in our business. This platform gives you ability to manage your all the business needs from one single place in a professional way. And this platform is not only to sell Digital Goods but also Physical Goods. BigCommerce offers a grate experience for both Business side and Customer side.

PROS

BigCommerce Support team is excellent. They respond to our inquires quickly with solutions. They are available on 24/7 for our support which is a grate thing about this platform that their competitors don t have. This platform offers lots of features that will help, any kind of online businesses. Such as Store setup, Inventory Management, Order Management, Marketing Tools, Website Builders and many more. Platform is very easy to adopt. Easy to configure. It offers many integration options with other tool, which makes this platform has no limitations. It has grate security features, so you have nothing to worry regarding any security issues. that helps us to build trust with our customer base. It has lots of custom templates that we can create colorful and attractive checkout pages and designs.

CONS

Their plans has Sale Limits. Also, the ability to recover abounded carts is available only in Higher-Tier Plans. Other than that, there is nothing to complain.

Margaret

Design, 51-200 employees

Reviewed May 2020

Great e-commmerce platform if you can't afford custom designs but have a large inventory of products

The company I worked for had a B2B e-commerce website, but wanted to start a second e-commerce site that was more B2C focused since the clientele had different needs, and the B2B site was not set up to accommodate all the new B2C business. We were able to set it up quickly and provide accurate shipping costs and product option costs.

PROS

I loved the versatility available for building product pages, being able to set it up so pricing adjusts automatically for different product options, and the import/export functions to update large inventories via Excel documents instead of manually editing within the web app.

CONS

Initial setup can be confusing, especially when new to e-commerce and knowing how to tell it to calculate tax, shipping, etc. Their customer service is great though, so if you're confused about a setting you can call and talk to someone very quickly. I rarely ever waited more than 5 minutes to talk to a rep.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

We ultimately chose BigCommerce because of the affordable yearly costs to own for our projected business size, and the in-depth setup options. The company was also looking to open a second location which would complicate shipping and tax implications, so BigCommerce was the best value for the functionality available.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

We needed an easy to manage platform that all departments could easily learn, and one where we would not need a developer to manage the setup, design, etc. Ultimately we switched because Volusion could not support a product page with a large variety and combination of options. Even after speaking with a technical rep at Volusion, they said that based on all of possible combinations created based on the size, price, and color options we had for a single product that it would overload and freeze the system.

Justin

Music, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2022

BigCommerce Honest Review

I didn't like BigCommerce. It was not user intuitive and the customer service was terrible. If you want to cancel the subscription, it is a multi step process and hard to accomplish.

PROS

I liked that it was pretty easy to set up and use a free template. It looked clean and basic.

CONS

I had trouble converting customers and having to pay high amount for good template. It looks good until you dive under the hood and then it is not what is expected. The fees are also very high compared to Wordpress or other alternatives.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

It looked enticing and seemed to be better than the competition. However, upon building a website, I found that the other alternatives were WAY better.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

I thought it would be better because of lower fees but ultimately I found out that it was not a good option to switch to BigCommerce.

Jackie

Reviewed April 2022

Happy over-all.

Over all I am happy with BigCommerce.

PROS

I like the store I created. I like the creative freedoms in BigCommerce. I find my way around easily. I like that I could use Quickbooks to process payments. At the time I started my online store that was not possible with Shopify.

CONS

You should be able to add locations to invoices. I don't print packing slips, just the invoices. I have to hand write the locations on the invoice for the person pulling items for the order. I wish I could sort the order of the items and have it stay that way! It takes a bit of time for the average Joe to learn their way around on BigCommerce. Once I got past the learning curve it became quite comfortable.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

Because I wanted to integrate the payments with Quickbooks.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

OpenCart was very limited in its functions.

Reviewed February 2020

Bigcommerce edged out the competition for my online store.

I tried several shopping cart e-commerce solutions and found that Bigcommerce suited my needs the most. I ended up using a free style template and customized it myself saving me a lot of money. Online and phone support are top notch!

PROS

The ease of use was a major factor in my decision to go with Bigcommerce. There are many choices out there for online retailers to build their storefront. I liked the ease of customization and the large amount of standard features. Their integration with online marketplaces and social media really saves a lot of time.

CONS

There is an annual sales cap that I'm worried about, but when I get to that point I will just upgrade the service to where I need it. There are not enough free store style templates available. Custom styles get very costly. Some features that should be standard are non existent.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

For my use, it was the superior product.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

I liked the layout and template choices more with Bigcommerce.

Lisa

Reviewed May 2022

It's been a nice long relationship

Overall, it's been pretty smooth sailing. Customer service is ALWAYS there and trying to help the best they can. They never leave me in the dark. Way easier and faster site than dealing with Magento.

PROS

I have used Bigcommerce for over 8 years. Overall, I think it works better and at a more reasonable cost than other related platforms.

CONS

I have 1k parent skus with 11k child skus. It will not import my large spreadsheet. So if there is a major price change from my brands, it's impossible to import my vendor's .csv or excel sheet. We have to update each regular price and sale price one by one. Takes way too much time to permanantly discount items / sales too.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

Shopify charges fees for every sale. Overall with all the apps you need to buy with Shopify, Bigcommerce had more features out of the box. I still had to buy 4-5 apps. But I would have had to invest much more money with Shopify. Which wouldn't be enough money left for me to operate the rest of my business.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

Magento was a never ending money pit and operated very slowly.

Jason

Printing, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2021

Easy to use but they didn't have my back

At first it was great, but as they got bigger they didn't seem to value my business the same way and forced me to pay almost 3 times what I had agreed to. I was happy to switch to a competitor when I did.

PROS

I liked that it was very easy to figure out. It was updated regularly and laid out nicely. I built my first e-commerce store on my own using this software.

CONS

I kept hitting walls with what I wanted to do. Some of the features were limiting like "Options" and I kept hoping they would improved them. They also made a change to their pricing structure and took away Customer Groups on the plan I was on. It was $29/mo and then all of a sudden it was $79/mo. I wish they grandfathered me in. When I called to complain or work something out, they had a take it or leave it attitude... so I left it.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

I switched since BigCommerce changed my pricing basically taking away Customer Groups unless I paid $50 more per month. I felt a little ripped off and they seemed to not care when I called. I was happy that I switched.

Alana

Reviewed September 2020

Definitely better than Shopify

PROS

I like the customer support, usually they can help with any problem. Their stores do a good job out of the box but for me, with over $10,000 products, it was a headache!

CONS

I guess everyone is always looking for more flexibility. Their confirmation, invoice, etc. emails are the worst!

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

Price, service, ease of use.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

BC did more out of the box, our OScommerce store required so much customization.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2019

Love it!

PROS

We've been using Bigcommerce (or BC, for short) for about 4 years now, and we love it. It makes ecommerce easy and efficient.

CONS

There are some instances where the lack of control or access to the server has caused us to change some of our plans, but it's nothing I would call a dealbreaker.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

Better customization options for our business at the time.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

Lack of service and support for the product.

Christine

Plastics, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2019

Big Commerce Works for Harman

Our previous platform was limited and not very user friendly. BigCommerce has made managing our online store so much easier and it has allowed us to provide a better customer experience.

PROS

I love the way the interface is set up. It is very easy to manage and everywhere you need to access is easy to find - You can also customize different status' so we can identify every situation quickly. We are just starting to use the Blog feature and we are very excited about how easy this is to manage.

CONS

The blog themes are kind of generic. We had to have our blog template designed so it would stand out and match the overall look we are going for.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

Functionality and ease of use was not what we wanted

Ivan

Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 employees

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed October 2018

A Poor Man's Shopify Plus---Easier to Use/Maintain than Magento But Lagging Behind Shopify

We moved from Magneto Go, to Magento CE, and then to Bigcommerce over the course of several years in business. Moving from Magento, Bigcommerce was an obvious and needed upgrade for us. Our store was more reliable, and significantly easier to manage day to day. A lot of things that had kept me up as a sysadmin were no longer an issue and we saw very little loss in functionality all things considered. We used Bigcommerce for roughly a year and a half, leaving the platform entirely in early 2018 for Shopify Plus. In terms of the software itself, I do not regret this transition at all. If you can afford Plus I would advise you to go for it. The product is more mature than it was even a year ago, and is now a clear industry leader over Bigcommerce, OpenCart, Magento etc.

PROS

Cloud based, more-reliable-than-magento hosting, decent discount rules engine, compatible with most major "Shipping Manager" softwares like Shipstation etc No overly-restrictive terms of use, suitable platform for sellers of "high-risk" items. Better than Magneto in practice for 85% of small to medium businesses.

CONS

Poor optimization for speed, poor user-facing checkout experience, tepid app ecosystem, objectively inferior automation and reporting tools, admin UI is clunky, customization of themes is difficult and costly, new features/product launches are paywalled and often incomplete, didn't stop billing us when we canceled service to switch to Shopify, experienced a glitch which inexplicably hid paid orders... Out of the box Shopify does practically everything better while minimizing the potential for errors during setup, configuration, optimization, and daily use of your store. In almost every metric and use case Shopify dominates Bigcommerce. Bigcommerce is playing catchup, and it's obvious from the back end of the software their team is struggling to stay competitive. While we were on the platform some updates appeared to suffer from "Microsoft syndrome" in that they looked pretty but had minimal depth or practical utility (think 3D paint or the latest version of windows media player). Bigcommerce only comes out ahead in pricing, terms of service, and a few configuration edge cases (which can mostly be solved by Apps in Shopify.)

Renata

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2020

Great E-Commerce Solution!

It's a pleasant and delightful experience. It is a robust e-commerce solution for B2B, B2C and Wholesalers.

PROS

At our agency, we were used to working with WooCommerce, Shopify and we had never really worked with BigCommerce. Until we decided that it was time to step things up for one of our clients. We had a delightful surprise to see that BigCommerce is one of the most complete platforms out there, that is extremely user friendly whilst being robust and complete. You have every type of solution you can imagine within your platform. From Wholesale B2B to a simple one page shop, you can build it all. BigCommerce offers amazing templates you can choose from, and also the Cornerstone which is a blank canvas. As an agency, we've gone through the partnership process and we are officially a part of BigCommerce marketplace!

CONS

What I don't like is how the development can be a bit different than what we're accustomed to, and not as user friendly as Wordpress. For instance, on Wordpress our team can set up the background in a friendly way for our customers to use and manipulate sections without the need of a developer 24hs helping them. Now as far as BigCommerce goes, the way some pages are set up require you to have an intermediate understanding of HTML if you want to manipulate some text and imagery. I find this quite difficult since our clients are the ones changing content on the website once we hand it off to them.

Reasons for switching to BigCommerce

We needed a more complete platform solution.

Mattie

Reviewed May 2022

Good Until You Need To Integrate It With Other Software

Overall, I like BigCommerce's eCommerce software, however I don't think it's for anyone that had a psychical store trying to start out online. If you are selling online only, it could be a good option.

PROS

Overall, for just only eCommerce, BigCommerce is great, and I have been using it for 10 years now. It is easy to use and customize, and has lots of great features (however you do have to pay for higher end features). No percentage fee is nice for smaller stores, but once you get to a certain scale, others offer no percentage as well with way more features.

CONS

The worst part about BigCommerce is their ability to integrate with outside software. Many small eCommerce stores are based out of a physical retail store, and there is NO easy, cheap, or even good way to integrate your in-store inventory with your BigCommerce inventory. For instance, if you use the popular Square POS in your retail shop, you have to pay an expensive 3rd party software for a janky, somewhat working system to that keeps your online inventory in sync with Square, so when you sell something in the store, it removes that stock online. BigCommerce refuses to take this issue seriously, which is unfortunate because I can't recommend it to anyone that has a physical retail store and wants to keep live inventory online.

Billy

Computer Software, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2020

Excellent Store Management Plumbing and Partner Alliances

Big Commerce has built a fabulous eCommerce engine that integrates with many important providers of inventory, POS, shipping, tax calculation, etc. They offer all this at a reasonable fee. Their Achilles Heel is their website builder and they know it. The current WordPress headless play is probably a wise interim step... but LAMP is getting long in the tooth... Plan B.2?

PROS

Big Commerce have done an excellent job of identifying and integrating the components necessary for a very robust large scale online store. It is wrapped in a very inflexible templated front end that requires programming to break out of. They clearly recognized this shortcoming and have deftly pivoted to a headless model that tosses the client-side rendering to... WordPress.

CONS

The theming/template/programming model of native BigCommerce is an investment. It is a specialty that does not feel like a career investment, rather it is a commitment to be a Big Commerce partner/developer. I suppose that with a pool of large clients this might seem monetarily attractive, at the end of the pool with smaller clients and smaller jobs, customization work required will often exceed their needs or desires and even at the small business end of things, e-commerce websites have become content marketing tools as well as storefronts. The out of box BigCommerce sites just don't accommodate the rapid transformation required. A free WordPress plugin for headless BigCommerce machinery under the hood certainly addresses this... for now, but I see incredible advances in the flexibility and programming model of Wix. If (when?) they get that to scale to faster performance on larger datasets... look out World...

Katherine

Marketing and Advertising, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed October 2020

It's a good platform

At some point we always found ourselves strengthening the site and working it on Wordpress, at least for the coding and styling. Bigcommerce for the product set up and integration with google shopping was effective.

PROS

The good thing is that you don’t have to buy web hosting or install anything on your computer to use it, since it's hosted. It has a good amount of templates you can explore. Despite it is thought for people less into web designing, it also allows more tech-savvy users and developers to apply some HTML and CSS styling.

CONS

You really need to evaluate well the plan that will help you the most according to your business growing strategy, if not, you'll feel limited. Review the transactions fees and the sale limits.

Reason for choosing BigCommerce

The company was already working with it.

Reviewed August 2019

Great E-Commerce Platform for Both B2C and B2B Companies

We have a consistent revenue stream of active customers on our website daily. We are able to process these and ship them within the BigC system. It makes all of our employees' day-to-day processes so much easier.

PROS

Customization, ability to have product variants and options, filtered search on the category pages and search pages.

CONS

Support sometimes doesn't know everything about ongoing issues with the platform so sometimes it is frustrating to iterate an issue that team members don't even know are happening. It's often mediated with a day or two but the initial message can be cumbersome.

Out of date technology