What are Citavi users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Citavi software through verified user reviews

• icon"The product is incredibly powerful. In my opinion, there are two core functions: on the one hand, you can use Citavi to organize materials (like papers and other files)."
  • icon"It's absolutely essential for me and I would highly recommend it. I've also found the Citavi support team to be outstanding - very knowledgeable and I've always received a response within 24 hours."
  • icon"Customization is incredibly good. You can get everything you want."
  • icon"Problem: We have a collection of now over 10.000 titles listed in the software Citavi, many of them kept in over 33 folders. With those consecutive numbers we could find them easily."
  • icon"Some of the features can be difficult to find and require many clicks to get to."

Browse all Citavi Reviews

• Have you used Citavi and would like to share your experience with others?

Ganjar

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Reference Manager and Knowledge Manager in One Pack

Pros

Citavi is a reference manager which works well with various word processor software. However, Citavi is more than reference manager. It also provides tools for users to quote important texts, to write summary and to arrange the references according to your article's structure. After you have done those, when you are working with your article, Citavi will detect the current chapter of your article and will show you relevant references and knowledge (those quotations and summaries that you have made before). Very handy! Citavi also provides a free student version which allows users to manage up to 100 references. This is very generous, considering Citavi has excellent features necessary for writing scientific articles.

Cons

Citavi does not work on Mac. Users need to install third party software to allow Citavi in a Mac. That's a shame since this limits the user base.

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Dear Ganjar, Thanks so much for your review! I'm very glad to hear that you like Citavi so much. Regarding Mac compatibility, you'll be happy to hear that we are currently working on an online version that will work with Mac and Linux computers. It should be available later this year.

Replied February 2019

The must have Literature program for research and education

By using a literature program you want to collect knowledge and want to share it. Working together in a team can be done now with the cloud version very easily without boundaries. Making comments, notes and using the citations for the resulting article can be done quickly and efficiently.

Pros

The list of features is very long. All in all it is the easyness of using the program at first which makes it possible to use it for beginners and also later on for real research. We can make Citavi as required for our students without making them troubles - it is the opposite. Often students discover that they get more time concentrating on the content and do not have to think about citation rules, e.g.

Cons

For sure there are missing features - this is always the case when you use a software as this is a living process. But the missing points are on a high level. Often it could be discovered that they have been built in already when asking the support people. So, there is no speacial feature which could be presented here.

Reasons for choosing Citavi

First of all the easyness. The software is much "lighter" than other products. A very important point also is support: I never have seen any company in the last 30 years which is quicker but also coming to the point than Citavi. And we as university are not combined in any way with this company, we also have other software products for literature out of which I could choose from.

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Thank you very much for your kind review and detailed comments! We're very glad to hear that you think that Citavi is easy for students to learn but can also support more intense research later on. We're also very glad to hear that you've had a good experience with our support team!

Mohammad

Allgemeine Erfahrung mit Citavi

Alles in einem ist Citavi ein gut geeignetes Toll, wenn man bereits einige Zeit auf dem Feld der wissenschaftlichen Forschung ist und kein Problem mit einem nicht intuitiv bedienbarem Softwareinterface hat. Besonders geeignet ist die Software für Personen, die Wert auf eine Literaturstrukturierung legen, Citavi wird in diesem Fall auf jeden Fall Abhilfe schaffen!

Pros

Der größte Vorteil von Citavi ist wahrscheinlich die Intention der Software, eine umfangreiche Literatur- und Wissensverwaltung zu ermöglichen, weshalb sie hauptsächlich von mir genutzt wird.  Konkret gesagt kann man mit ihr gut Ideen strukturieren und Texte analysieren und behält so einen Überblick beim Schreiben einer wissenschaftlichen Arbeit. Lobenswert ist zudem das Recherchetool sowie der Internet - Picker, mit dem Informationen simpel inkludiert werden können. Ferner ist die Teamfunktion ziemlich praktisch, denn durch diese wird eine Zusammenarbeit an den Quellen bzw. der Literatur im Allgemeinen ermöglicht. Bücher können zudem per ISBN importiert werde, was ebenfalls ziemlich sinnvoll ist. Abschließend sind noch die einfache Integration in Microsoft Word sowie die Möglichkeit in der Cloud zu arbeiten positiv erwähnenswert.  Alles in einem kommt man auch mit der kostenfreien Variante weit!

Cons

Negativ anzumerken sind erfahrungsbasierte Verluste von Daten und das Softwareinterface. Letzteres ist nämlich meiner Meinung nach sehr unübersichtlich und nicht anfängerfreundlich gestaltet, an dieser Stelle ist die Beachtung der UX leider zu kurz gekommen.

RAUL

PERDIDA DE INFORMACIÓN

Mala. He perdido información varias veces. NO lo recomiendo.

Pros

La vinculación del programa con el word.

Cons

No permite ordenar por fecha lo elementos el conocimiento. Con ello, se hace dificil ver lo que no se graba. Tiene muchos problemas de coordinación en uso compartido en varios ordenadores. Se pierde info con facilidad.

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Dear Raul, I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire Citavi team for the data loss you experienced in your Citavi Cloud project. I've looked at your support tickets, and the first instance was very likely due to a synchronization bug in the version you were working with that had since been fixed in an update. As long as users let us know the project key within 30 days of the error message appearing, we are able to restore projects. Unfortunately, we did not receive the project key on time in your case. Regarding the knowledge items, sorting by date is possible within categories, but not in the overview of all knowledge items. For this reason, my support colleague offered to have a developer find the recently changed knowledge items for you and asked for your project key, but we never received it. We are very sorry that you had such a bad experience with Citavi and hope that you'll give us another chance to make it up to you! Sincerely, Jennifer Schultz

Replied September 2020

Miriam

Industry: Writing and Editing

The best knowledge organisation programme

Pros

- It offers everything you need for research (finding texts, analysing texts, formatting the in-text citations and the Works Cited, etc.) - It helps you keep track of your tasks (which texts do I still have to read/scan/borrow, etc.) - The customisable categories and keywords are extremely helpful when you quickly need to find all titles concerned with a specific topic. - Allows you to compile grouped lists of titles (e.g. all titles from a certain time span or all titles within a certain category). - Allows you to search all of your quotes and all OCR’d pdfs in your project at once. - The support is phenomenal! They answer extremely fast and always propose helpful individual solutions. I once had a pretty big bug in my project and the support spend several days solving it – even though I’m only a PhD student. Long story short: I couldn’t write my PhD thesis without Citavi.

Cons

It might be a bit too complex for undergraduate students, but with their 10-25 pages papers and 30 secondary sources max, they don’t need a knowledge management system anyways. I’d say the best time to start using Citavi is in your first M.A. semester.

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I'm very glad to hear that you've found Citavi to be so helpful for writing your PhD thesis!

Frédéric

Gestionnaire de connaissances

Pour moi le meilleur, grace à ce gestionnaire de connaissances. Il nécessite un temps d’adaptation pour être bien maîtrisé, mais s’utilise assez facilement si on reste sur les fonctions de base référencement, citation.

Pros

En plus de la gestion bibliographique citavi gère les connaissances, c.-à-d. toutes les notes, surlignages associés à un article qui peuvent être classées et cherchées. La citation dans Word se fait par recherche de la référence ou de la connaissance associée, plus besoin de se souvenir de la publi, juste de ce qu’il y a dedans. Plugin citation, plugin capture, travail collaboratif. Une version gratuite permet de gérer 100 citations par bibliothèque créées. Peu s’utiliser comme une GED pour les plus débrouillards

Cons

Assez pratique en mode une bibliothèque = 1 thèse / articles, un peu plus compliqué quand on cherche à n’avoir qu’une bibliothèque pour tout, cours, articles, pour tout organiser correctement (>700 réf). Les références doivent alors être gérées par catégorie plutôt qu’en « chapitre ». Le gestionnaire de connaissances nécessite un temps de prise en mains pour comprendre les différents types de référencement.

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. We're very glad to hear that you find the knowledge management features useful!

Ca

Hilfreiches Instrument zur Literaturverwaltung für Forschung & Publikation - auch für Teams

sehr viele verschiedene Möglichkeiten zur Literaturverwaltung, hohe Anpassungsfähigkeit an individuelle Wünsche und Bedürfnisse; guter Support;

Pros

Die systematischen Literaturrecherchen können mit Citavi sehr gut organisiert, strukturiert und verwaltet werden. Ich benötige keine zusätzlichen Excel-Listen o.ä. Sehr hilfreich finde ich die verschiedenen Varianten zur Textannotierung und die unterschiedlichen Verknüpfungsmöglichkeiten mit meinen Texten. z.T. sind verlagsspezifische Zitierstile hinterlegt, das ist sehr komfortabel; Arbeiten im Team mit gemeinsamen Cloud-Projekten ist gut möglich.

Cons

Beim Umzug von Citavi 5 (lokales Projekt) auf Citavi 6 (Cloud-Projekt) gingen Anhänge, Verknüpfungen und vereinzelt Titel verloren. Damals umfasste das Projekt ca. 1500 Titel. Die Anleitungen im Handbuch dazu fand ich nicht ausreichend. Der Support war bemüht mir zu helfen, es konnte aber nicht das gesamte Projekt gerettet werden.

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Thanks for your review! I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced when switching from Citavi 5 to Citavi 6 and that the problem couldn't be resolved. If you ever want us to take another look, please just contact our support team again!

Anna

DAS Tool zur Literaturverwaltung mit ausgezeichnetem Support

Eine sehr gute Software ohne Schnick-schnack, die sich ständig weiterentwickelt mit einem qualitativ sehr hochwertigen Support. Bei richtiger Verwendung spart die Software viel Zeit und Nerven

Pros

- Zentrales Management der Metadaten an einer Stelle (Autorenname, Journal etc.) - Zitierstile jeglicher Journals (international) enthalten, immer aktuell und mit einem Klick umstellbar - Citavi-Picker, mit einem Klick Quellen importieren (spart sehr viel Zeit) - Sehr schneller und sehr guter Kundensupport, auch am Wochenende - Arbeit mit mehreren Autoren an einem Projekt möglich - Verschlagwortung der Artikel, Zitate etc. möglich - Export nach Excel, z.B. für Meta-Analysen der verwendeten Literatur

Cons

- Je nach Version lädt Word das Citavi Add-in manchmal nicht, kann einfach behoben werden (Optionen - Add-ins)

Reasons for switching to Citavi

Word ist nicht ausreichend für umfangreichere Abschlussarbeiten (Master, Dissertation) und sehr ungeeignet für Veröffentlichungen in unterschiedlichen Journals.

Jakob

Industry: Research

Extremely powerful tool, withoud which I could not work

I have been using Citavi since my last years of high school all through university and for my PhD thesis. Without citavi, I would not know how to effectively organize my sources. With citavi, it is super easy to keep track of thousands of sources and also retrieve them again after years, even if you didnt know anymore that you have a source.

Pros

The product is incredibly powerful. In my opinion, there are two core functions: on the one hand, you can use Citavi to organize materials (like papers and other files). On the other hand, you can use citavi to facilitate citing those materials when writing papers. But, you do not have to use both. Already, the organizing function is incredibly powerful.

Cons

Personally, I am not missing anything. But you have to keep in mind that it is an incredible powerful tool, so you need time to discover those functions you need most.

Response from QSR International

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and glad to hear that you like Citavi so much.

Replied September 2021

Peter

It's perfect!

I am writing papers in social science/education. (you should give the item education without management to your 'industry drop down menu). It's so helpful in gathering sources quickly and not always re-search citations again. I would never miss it.

Pros

CITAVI is a SUPER stable, easy to use and useful program. Within years of working with it I collected 1635 sources, many with quotations and some with full text. The most extreme example for its value: I wanted to contribute to a scientific discussion in a journal where the deadline was already over. But since they were also interested in my statement, they gave me 5 days for the article. So I wrote a theoretical statement about sience in a certain context of 22 pages within only 5 days (working day and night ;-}} ). Without CITAVI I would have needed at least 14 days!!!! I really would never miss it!

Cons

I am sorry. I worked with Citavi for years (Vers. 2?) and never found a spare wish.

Reasons for switching to Citavi

Because of all the quality mentioned. This was a program, which no other one I found in the internet at that time I switched could comped. AND I WAS RIGHT!

Great software and solid support

Our experience has been mostly positive, although our few encounters with others besides our sales contact has not been great. The company needs to have a more responsive tech support team willing to talk with customers on the phone. They keep wanting to deflect us to Q&As and email questions. Since we are in North America and Citavi is in Europe, this can mean at least 24 hours before our query is read and responded to.

Pros

Can be adaptable to our house style, has gatekeeper functionality, quite easy to learn and use

Cons

Support is not as responsive as we had hoped; The Rep on the sales side has saved us from extreme frustration; support people unwilling to help in any way besides email - which we find inflexible and counter to our reasons for choosing this provider. Citavi is lucky to have that rep on their team!

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Thanks for your review, and please accept my apologies for our support team not living up to your expectations! Since we are a small company, we unfortunately can't provide 24/7 support yet. Our support hours do indeed reflect our European location. However, we aim for a 12-hour maximum response time for questions from anywhere in the world. I am sorry that this was not the case for you, and I will work with my colleagues to ensure that this doesn't happen again. We always begin with email as it allows us to use screenshots, attach guides, share links to FAQs, or send a link to a chapter in our 500+ page manual. We usually can resolve problems quickly, and we currently have a 97% satisfaction rate: www.citavi.com/rating For issues that can't be fixed via email, we set up a live support session, which lets us view the customer's screen. I am very sorry that you had such a bad experience. We will work to ensure that future interactions with our support team will be positive ones!

Replied May 2019

Tim

Absolutely recommended for scientific work

I used Citavi mainly during my studies to write scientific papers.

Pros

The automatic creation of the literature list and the function to load bibliographic information based on the DOI have saved me days of error-prone work. The knowledge management functions are also good, even if I have not used them so intensively.

Cons

I often had problems with the Word plugin. In this case, Citavi sometimes crashed completely. There are workarounds for this on the internet, but it's still not ideal.

Response from QSR International

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Regarding the crash when using the Word add-in, feel free to reach out to our Support Team at support@citavi.com as they may be able to assist you further on this matter.

Replied September 2021

Thomas

Organizing

Citavi allows me to manage a big part of my scientific work at one place

Pros

The possibility to link dozens of scientific sources, to analyse literature digitally, to import literature sources directly from the internet and to manage bibliographies when writig publications is great, because ist is so easy and reliable.

Cons

The export of all the citations and comments out of one single source should become less laborious.

Reasons for switching to Citavi

The Reference Manager was a literature management system, Citavi is in addition to that a knowledge management system.

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Thanks for your kind words and for your feedback regarding the export of quotations and comments from a reference! It's currently possible to do this by creating a selection and then creating an annotated bibliography that includes quotations.

Replied February 2021

Bryan

Citavi 6.0 Review

Pros

Citavi is a comprehensive software that can handle reference management, annotation, outlining, organization, citation, and more. I use it daily for my scholarship requirements at my university and to work on my dissertation. I can't imagine managing all of my resources, annotations and ideas without it. It's absolutely essential for me and I would highly recommend it. I've also found the Citavi support team to be outstanding - very knowledgeable and I've always received a response within 24 hours.

Cons

Very little. It could be a bit more user friendly, especially with citations, and can be occasionally buggy, but that's because it has so much functionality.

Response from Swiss Academic Software

What a beautiful review. Thank you so much, Bryan! Please note that our support area at https://help.citavi.com/en allows you not only to ask questions and report bugs, but also to share your ideas with us. All the best for the completion of your dissertation with Citavi!

Replied June 2019

Guido

Citavi makes you and helps you think!

(a) keep track of all the libraries I use (including my own) (b) keep track of my scientific projects. SIMPLE - EFFECTIVE - TECHNICALLY PERFECT.

Pros

Hard do choose only one of the many features I love in this software, but if I were forced to do so: (a) task management (b) data import (picker etc.) (c) export styles (d) structuring tools (grouping, categories etc.)

Cons

No serious missings, but as »nice to have«: (a) automatic mail alert for due dates (b) possibility to redesign the forms for data

Reasons for switching to Citavi

Access was too complicated for me.

Thomas

Perfect Tool for literature administration

manage 1200 title with attachements in the cloud version. Write articles and books. Collaboration with changing teammembers. I had all the time only two contacts with the support necessary, who solved the problems quick.

Pros

Ease of use of the different features and diversity of possibilities. Interaction with word and other sources

Cons

To learn to use all given features takes some time.

Better product

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback! We're very glad to hear that you like Citavi so much and that you had a good experience with our Customer Support team.

Replied October 2020

Karl-Heinz

Very good support

I am writing scientific publications

Pros

Ease of use, export to other software and the very quick help if there are questions

Cons

It would be nice if there would be consecutive numbers given automatically by the software to find manuscripts! - Problem: We have a collection of now over 10.000 titles listed in the software Citavi, many of them kept in over 33 folders. With those consecutive numbers we could find them easily. Now we give the numbers manually in a free text field.

Reasons for switching to Citavi

ReferenceManager did stop the support

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Thanks for your review! I'm glad that you like Citavi so much. Regarding the numbering of references, this was something we had in earlier versions but unfortunately had to remove for technical reasons in Citavi 6 because of the addition of cloud projects. I'm glad that you're able to use the custom fields as a workaround!

Johannes

excellent software

Excellent! I love it and would always recommend it

Pros

Super helpful and easy to use. Very stable and reliable. No major issues over the last 5 years (!) Many functions and very helpful service

Cons

Browser add-on (Firefox) sometimes a bit slow if a page has 50+ references. No open office support

ui, service, pricing

Rahel-Maria

Wouldn't want to miss Citavi

Pros

I apprexciate the reliability and ease for keeping track of the sources I use. The Word Add-in and the Browser picker make the use smooth across programmes.

Cons

Because it offers so many functions, it can seem a bit complex at first. However, there are several tutorial videos out there that make it easy to get started and then, as with any programme, you learn about it as you use it.

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Many thanks for your kind words! We're very glad to hear that you like Citavi so much!

Replied January 2021

Sanela

helps a lot

Pros

I work with the word add-in and love it. Managing the literature is much easier with Citavi. Also, I like that you can adjust the citation styles so that it fits your needs.

Cons

Unfortunately, it is not a good solution for working with archival sources.

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Thanks so much for your feedback, and glad to hear that you love the Word Add-In! Archival sources are indeed a bit tricky with Citavi - you can use the "Archive Material" reference type, but you do end up having to type everything in by hand and use workarounds when you have an item that doesn't fit the standard fields as well. If you ever have any questions when trying to input archival sources, just get in touch at support@citavi.com.

Gedeon

Tolle Möglichkeit Wissenschaftliche Arbeiten zu erstellen

Pros

Citavi ist für mich die beste Möglichkeit Literatur in wissenschaftlichen Arbeiten zu verwalten. Die vorgegeben Zitationsstile sind gut und lassen sich vor allem nach Belieben anpassen. Wenn man mal nicht weiter kommt hilft der Support umgehend (in meinem Fall innerhalb einer halben Stunde).

Cons

Am Anfang ist das anpassen eines zutationsstils nicht gerade intuitiv, aber sobald man in der Materie ist, kann man alles bearbeiten wie man will.

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Many thanks for leaving a review! We're very glad to hear that you like both Citavi and our support team so much.

Replied December 2020

Lukas

Industry: Research

Good program and special service

Pros

No need to check your list of literature, because citavi is adjusting it automatically. Footnotes always have the same sturcture and form, which helps to aovid a careless mistake, when writing a paper. Tags and the possibillity to work on a paper (marking, commenting,...) inside the citavi software is very helpful.

Cons

Nothing. There is a solution for mostly everything.

Response from Swiss Academic Software

We're glad to hear that you like Citavi so much! Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

Replied October 2020

Andreas

Industry: Research

Easy way to store your literature collection

Pros

Free to download, not very difficult to understand the main features, intuitive working, access from everywhere through cloud-saving; very quick and satisfactory support service

Cons

Unfortunately not possible to save the citation style in the cloud; therefore you manually have to copy and paste it to other devices

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Thanks so much for your review, and glad to hear that you like Citavi so much!

Gertje

Industry: Veterinary

tolle unproblematische Software

Pros

- benutzerfreundlich - leichte Verknüpfung mit anderen Programmen (z.B. Words) - sehr schneller und freundlicher Kundenservice

Cons

- soweit keine Beanstandungen, kann nichts negatives bis dato berichten, benutze die Software seit dem Studium und in der Dissertation

Response from Swiss Academic Software

We're very glad to hear that you like Citavi so much! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - we really appreciate it!

Replied March 2021

Cynthia

Excellent customer service and intuitive software

We're still in the roll-out stage, but so far I've found the software to be quite intuitive. We've had challenges doing references manually, so it will be wonderful to have a software program that pops out a properly formatted list that won't need editing.

Pros

Citavi is very user-friendly, and the customer support is amazing. Even though we're on a different continent than the customer service reps, they always get back to us very quickly when we have questions. They also did two demos of 1.5 hours each for our staff, and they programmed an output style with our customized house style for references.

Cons

It can be a little slow to open and save a project. I think this is because we're running the cloud-based version and we're in a different country than the servers.

Response from Swiss Academic Software

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review! I'm glad to hear that you've had good experiences with our customer support team and that you find the software easy to use. Our support team would be happy to take a look at the speed issue you've experienced when opening and saving projects. Please just send us a description of the problem at citavi.com/ticket and we'll get in touch.

Replied May 2019