• Pros

• "I like the ability to offer individuals the rights and permissions to do their job efficiently. The search capabilities are robust. I like to the flexibility that this product offers. "

• "Flexibility. Its easy to configure to suite almost any need we have. And the way it seamlessly integrates with the Windows environment is outstanding for our users"

• "The application is user friendly and as well being adaptive to users. It is an application that is handy and challenging to learn as an administrator"

• Cons

• "Reporting is somewhat lacking but since the database has a SQL back end it gives the user the ability to create reports on their own."

• "When I'm telecommuting and using a remote control software for the computer the software sometimes runs slow or is glitchy."

• "The interface is little bit sloppy and need to be worked upon. "

Browse Document Locator Reviews

Edward from Appuli Corp.

Implemented in Engineering, HR, Finance and IT departments in three companies 2 small, 1 large.

Very happy customers. Great pricing. Great support. Integration with forms tool (Perfect Forms). Integration with custom .NET software used to accelerate IT Architecture development. Integration with secure HR systems to manage employee hiring and on-boarding. Ease of use finding Engineering documents.

Pros

Document uses SQL Server as storage for documents instead of a file-share. This provides the ability to encrypt data while stored and retrieve on the desktop without un-encrypting. Thus making it very easy to use for handling sensitive HR and Finance records. Document Locator includes standard and custom workflows that include forms which are routed for approval in a variety of ways. As an engineering tool, Document Locator make SharePoint look like an old-fashioned file server with its ability to add meta-data to each document. Document Locator has a vibrant web interface but also includes access via the desktop app.

Cons

Not much. I have done many document management studies and Document Locator exceeds all the others for my list of requirements. Perhaps some of the icons used on the client could be modernized.

Keith from Wisconsin Public Service Commission

Industry: Public Policy

Excellent Customer Support

Customer representatives have a great relationship with the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin which makes to the support for this product great. Once again a product is only as good as its support team.

Pros

A software product is only as good as the support you can get from the product. This last weekend I was upgrading the Document Locator backend database from SQL Server 2014 to SQL Server 2016 SP1. I called Columbiasoft to let them know during the week what I was doing. In return, they emailed me steps to take when migrating to a new SQL Server failover cluster and gave me instructions on what to do if I ran into issues. I did not expect to run into issues but did on Saturday and sent Columbiasoft an email. The turn around to a reply was sooner than I expected. Rep walked me through some standard checks. The main correction we made was changing the DLRepcatalog database owner to cssadmin. The best news is I still left before 1:00 pm on Saturday giving me enough time to buy my 2010 Ford F-150 to start the camping season.

Cons

This is a hard one in that this product matches our business requirements. That said we use a lot of custom action steps and there are times I wish the documentation on customer action steps would be easier to understand.

Alan from Ftech int.

2.5

August 2016

Outlook integration is great for emails

Pros

I used document locator with 1 of my previous job and started using it since then for personal use. The best feature we like about Document locator is the email management using my favorite software "outlook". It helps with a number of other features including PDF conversion, Document preview etc.

Cons

The interface is little bit sloppy and need to be worked upon.

Scott from Rayonier Inc

Best document management out there!

I’ve been administering my company’s Document Locator system for 8+ years. Never have I come up with a problem they couldn’t solve. I had 8 different document management systems in my company, and picked this over all the ones I already owned. Never regretted it even one day.

Pros

Not only does Document Locator works seamlessly inside windows, it has a great API and is very easy to administer. Users generally don’t require more than about 15 minutes of training. Support always answers questions within an hour or so, and the help cheerfully even with “dumb” questions.

Cons

Training is only offered a few times a year, and mostly in Oregon, though they will send an instructor onsite if you need.

Reasons for Choosing Document Locator

Better full text search, faster deployment, better API access. Lower cost!

Louis from LionRT

Document Locator offers a self contained convenient and efficient solution which allows our team remote and instant access to company files and data .

Document Locator software works beautifully and seamlessly with Microsoft Office and Browsers while allowing us to configure specific rights per user to the most sensitive company information which often will requires remote access in the field under pressure situations .

Pros

We found Document Locator or DL as it is otherwise known to be consistently reliable offering the ability to to send links which can be controlled offering specific file access to users. DL additionally offers a nice system to organize files so once connected users can find those intended files. DL's customer service support is first rate offering timely and high quality support.

Cons

We are extremely pleased with Document locator however there were was an issue that we encountered. The supplied user interface was some what clumsy as key commands were less intuitive to locate and use. This is a common occurrence though with file acquisition programs.

Rebecca from Vopak

Industry: Oil & Energy

Over all a good system. Ability to customize is hands down. Support team is EXCELLENT.

Having both a flat view with metadata and the actual file in one spot.

Pros

The webtool is very easy to use, which is the part most of my team uses. I love that I am able to customize the system to my company's needs, there are very few limitations to the customization. I like the ability to get a spreadsheet report out of any folder and it includes the headers.

Cons

The bulk loading is great for first time in documentation, but if you have updated versions in bulk to existing documents - the bulk load feature is useless. I work in engineering and we typically receive documentation in bulk and several versions over the life of a project. If the bulk load feature would actually version the documents this would be life saving.

Patrick from Medivators

Industry: Medical Devices

ColumbiaSoft1

Pros

The indexing or searching for files is really nice and fast.

Cons

Initial setup is a pain when creating workflows or repository setups and security.

Response from ColumbiaSoft

Replied December 2018

Thanks for your feedback and support, Patrick. Apologies that your setup was a bit of a challenge. Our Services and Training teams have been informed ¿ they take new customer set up very seriously and want to make sure customers are up and running quickly. Your account manager will be reaching out to see if there anything we can do with implementation or training to make it right.

Keith from PSGC

Document Locator has been one of the easiest and seamless Doc Mgmt systems I have worked with

Versioning and the ability to publish external links usable from other applications

Pros

Cons

I really see no weaknesses to speak of. Every scenario that I have thrown at it it has easily handled. And the few items that I originally though of as downfalls where simply my lack of knowledge.

Lyllcelsius from CTC Global

Industry: Utilities

Excellent and fabulous

It is cost effective, mobility oriented, and adds to data management

Pros

Cons

I have not really find any cons applicable to me as a user and an administrator. Except on the web tools, users that have folder permission on the repository, are not able to see it on the web.

Michele from LifeLink Foundation, Inc.

Document Locator is a great product for Document Management

The benefits allowed our organization to proceed to a paperless environment easily.

Pros

The Document Locator product stays up with technology and is simple to implement and utilize. Best of all their Customer and Tech support is fabulous.

Debbie from morrow

DL software is very user friendly

Pros

Cons

I would like to see more functionality added based on project management. As a recent grad of CMII practices, I would like to see some functionality added to this product based on the principles established in Configuration Management.

John from Jac. Vandenberg, Inc.

Reliable and does the job.

Pros

Reliability and ease of use

Cons

OCR in the Scan Console is not great. Tedious to create/replicate repositories. Not compatible with iOS. No app available for use on ipads/iphones

Response from ColumbiaSoft

Replied March 2018

John, thank you for your feedback. We would like to reach out and learn more about the OCR concerns, and help fine tune this so it works better for you.

Danielle from Scovan Engineering

Industry: Oil & Energy

Comprehensive document management software suitable for engineering

Overall has been a great software that has improved our document control process and improved our internal efficiency

Pros

This software has many features that allow for organized and detailed document management. The search function in the software is incredibly powerful and even allows for searching for content in documents. Bulk uploads allowed for an easier transition when the software was implemented.

Cons

As the software is so powerful it requires a decent amount of training to become proficient. Also the inability to link to the folders in the software is inconvenient at times.

Omarie from K08 Sounds

Save on Paper and Save Trees!

Pros

This helped us flip into a paperless office (except for patient charts and promo). We can easily scan, filter documents, find reports, and more! Life-saver forsure.

Nicole from ITHACA

Great reports with Document locator

Pros

Easy to use tool with good reporting options. Reports can be filtered to get custom data. It also has the option to see usage metrics. Notifications can be scheduled for missed tasks. It helps users to review the assigned documents.

Cons

Functionality can be defined specific to the users. If there would be a super admin role which can assign various modules based on user type, it will help to only see required screens.

August 2016

Michael from Andron Construction Corp.

Highly customizable DMS

Highly customizable document management system. Integrated into Windows OS for seamless end user experience. Best customer support in the industry.

Cheryl from Dakavia

DL - makes like easier

Document Locator's Windows integration makes the system particularly easy to use. I also like the fact that we can access our files online in a browser and on our mobile phones. It super easy to find any file we are looking for because everything is searchable. The support team is very helpful. They always answer the phone whenever we have a question or need help.

Pros

Searchable files, Simple access, Customer support

Cons

changing user passwords

September 2016

Austin from IdealU

September 2016

Mobile access helps managing docs while travelling!

Pros

The best feature about Document locator is Drag and Drop from other applications. Drag and Drop makes it really easy for people who want to work quickly. Mobile access helps me managing docs from anywhere even when I am travelling. Good application to help out!

Cons

I would like the docs to be integrated with third party CRM like Pipedrive. It will help managing all docs from a single locations and I would not need to keep multiple copies.

Great tool to remove redundancy and track documents

Pros

The version control is fantastic. I love that I can keep one document as a source for everything else to refer to. I no longer have to wonder which version is the "Current" version.

Cons

The reporting piece is a real struggle. I would like to have a more user-friendly option. It would be great if I could build a report on the fly with a few fields from a pick-list.

Hina from Information Technology and Services

Managing docs integrated with MS Office

Its always easier when cloud technology help connecting your documents directly from your MS office tool. Document locator helps me integrating my documents form MS office and integrate it with Cloud to give additional functionality and security. It has good visual charts to see the statistics of data as well.

Pros

I like working with it since it integrated with MS office.

Pat from Medivators

Industry: Medical Devices

Should've had Pro Svcs setup the new install, it was a cluster to work with until this was done.

Record retention of medical equipment from birth to recycle was very important part since many teams within the organization reference this daily.

Pros

The indexing is the best part, training was good. The employees in OR are calm and very nice to work with.

Cons

Meta data being returned from a Unix ERP system was not the easiest to change, constant testing. Good thing now is that the company is going to SAP.

September 2015

Troy from Horizon House

September 2015

Most practical, useful, cost effective software I have ever purchased in 16 years as a network admin

As a network adminstrator for a large nonprofit retirement community it was my responsibility to take the business as paperless as possible. Document Locator is by far the best software I have found to do this. It is also the easiest to use and most important to a nonprofit company the most cost effective software I have ever purchased in my career. We use it for document archival, and work flows in Accounting, Marketing, and HR. and eventually every department will be using it. the customer service at Columbiasoft is also the best I have ever come across in my career.

Ryan from Lime Energy

Excellent Customer Service

The software is beautifully complex and pretty flexible. I can make it do a range of things out of the box and also easily customize it to do non-standard functions. The real benefit of the software though is the support. The support people are fantastic about getting you an answer to (sometimes dumb) questions and doing it incredibly quickly. I'm been faced with plenty of challenges and they've always done their best to give me a reasonable expectation of what I'm about to walk into, if not giving me the answer outright.

Bill from BNSC, Inc.

Best Value

Other document management solutions are complex and have user interfaces that require learning. There is a learning curve here, but it's not dramatic and that really helps make this solution the right choice.

Pros

For a document management software, the fact that this software is integrated into the Windows Explorer shell makes training staff simple. There is very little interface to learn. I'm impressed by this one feature and recommend this solution because of this. Other user interface is available, but the shell integration is what sold me. The competitive price is what made me dig deeper into the product.

Carol from Blackstone Valley Community Health Care

Document Locator

Pros

The best thing about this software is the integration with Microsoft Office products. It is one of the main reasons we chose it.

Cons

We are still at the beginning stages of implementation so I currently do not have any cons. I hope the rest of the implementation goes as smooth as it has so far.

Jasmine from Lake County

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Awesome Software

Pros

Extremely easy to use and glad that I was introduced to this product by my coworker. Definitely makes life a whole lot easier.