Directus

Directus Reviews

RATING:

Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"I like that Directus is free and open source, with an active community over Slack and that the software evolves very quickly."
  • icon"Truly open source gives commercial products a run for their money, super helpful community, rapid development, easy customization."
  • icon"The best thing about Directus is the community. It is great to be able to ask questions and get a real person to walk you through a solution."
  • icon"Often new bugs in new releases. Many things missing in the documentation."
  • icon"Since the project is Open-Source and community-driven, it's a bit hard to get support for very specific problems. Sometimes nobody responded to my questions on the official Slack channel."
  • icon"No Spatial Data Types (searching by distance is not possible)."

Have you used Directus and would like to share your experience with others?

All Directus Reviews

Alejandro

Excellent headless CMS

I have a very difficult multi-platform usecase involving languages from R/Python, reproducible data slicing, on the fly dataset creation all the way to front-end react, pregenerated app (gatsby) in a single build command. Directus is my sole source of truth, what I use to back this whole thing. This allows me to use the same translations and metadata for everything no matter if I am in R or Javascript consuming graphql, either on production client code or in static pregeneration stage in gatsby. There are other headless apis that can do this, but I cannot self host them and I need to be able to very quickly generate large datasets on the database as I research and tear them down in the same base as the CMS for the app. That is, I need this to run on my computer first. This is where directus knocked it out of the park for me. Also, docker setup is touch and go. Nothing needed. It is just great.

Pros

This is Free and Open Source Software at its best. Directus has a great, well tended community, excellent developers, many options and lots of friendly answers to real questions. I have not found any other headless API I can self host in amazon or wherever I want. This makes for a local development cycle, short time to market, very easy to prototybe setup for example for react/gatsby apps.

Cons

The app where you manage the database still needs a bit more documentation. It does not lack features, but some features lack propper documentation. I hope to help on this in the future!

Reasons for choosing Directus

I tested all headless cms apis out there (cant remember the names of all of them). None of them fit my use case.

Jens

Best headless CMS on the market - powered by Open-Source

I loved the previous versions, but especially the new V9 really excites me. I never experienced any smoother experience setting up any content management system (including the old guys like WordPress or Drupal). From a product and/or IT lead perspective, it brings you so much power for so many use cases - without a huge price tag or complexity.

Pros

It is free, if you are able to host it yourself! It is completely white-label, which makes your employees love it even more. It is perfectly customizable. In case you miss something, you can easily jump on the train and add it for your project - or all Directus users (contributing in the open-source community). If you want it fully managed, there is a cloud-version at a fair price (cheap compared to others) too.

Cons

Potential con for some people: The PHP version got more or less deprecated. There might be one version again, but focus is definitely with NodeJS. If you want to host it yourself and are not able to run Node or Docker, you might run into problems. File management could be better and more customizable (in terms of conditional rules how uploads get processed per collection and field).

Reasons for choosing Directus

One though, of course, always is, if those guys are able to maintain their speed and perfection. Especially compared to better funded companies. The answer lies within the dynamic open-source approach. It enables the tool to benefit from the community to keep up with things like Contentful. At the same time, it is also some kind of guarantee for the future. While every company might get closed down in the future, open-source lives on. Picturing the worst case, you could still take over and manage it all by yourself. Other tools simply go offline and bring you headaches. This, combined with the awesome feature set (see pros) and the beautiful UI, puts it above the mentioned Contentful, but also tools like Strapi or GraphCMS. I skip the part, why headless "kills" full CMS like WordPress ;). And, of course, this kind of tool provides you with more flexibility than complete no-code-solutions like Webflow or Squarespace (but this would be an unfair comparison anyway).

Davide

Fantastic concept, medium user experience

Until now the experience is good: I like the idea and it works for the project that we started with Directus. We still need to resolve some issues, like how to properly manage pages and SEO data or how to overcome the lack of the repeater field, but it's working well. The experience with the support was fantastic. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was kind and friendly, in spite of my incompetence. I appreciate the enthusiasm and the open source spirit. Sometimes I experienced some limits for the reasons mentioned early, but I'm happy.

Pros

I love the concept behind Directus: the idea to freely create a database in an easy way, organizing the content as you need or as you imagined it. I come from Kirby CM and Craft CMS and doing websites in which the custom design is the key, it's important to us to shape our content as we want. It's easy to install, the Slack support is friendly and helpful. In the search for the perfect headless CMS solution, it was my choice, also because it's open source and at the moment the pricing of others options is over budget for our clients. We were ok paying a fee for a license, but not a perpetual subscription. Moreover, a key point in the decision to adopt it is the self-hosted solution: we wanted to avoid every possible lock-in. Finally, the stack: working in a communication agency, we are not software engineers: PHP + Vue.js it's a perfect combination. React and node.js onthe server was a switch too big to take another leap.

Cons

Above all, the bugs: being open source and free it's normal, but it is frustrating in the measure we decided to use it for clients works. Second: the lack of documentation for the interfaces or for the detailed use of the JS SDK. Moreover, sometimes I felt overwhelmed by the technical details of the interface. I don't have competence in relational databases and to me too much things doesn't have a meaning. But I'm mainly a front-end developer that try to be "independent", so I think that it's normal. Finally: the lack of a good repeater. At the moment it's impossible to use a file field in it, or to repeat a group of field. For us it's almost a strict requirement for clients projects.

Reasons for choosing Directus

For the pricing, but above all for the requirement of our managers to have the code and the data on our servers. In addition to that, the idea to have the opportunity to customize it was very important. But please, takes Dato CMS as a reference: it has everything a digital agency could dream!

Reasons for switching to Directus

I wanted a database to manage complex dataset, like products catalogues and a product in which the headless concept was at the basis. Moreover, Kirby comes with the concept of "pages", that it's perfect for hierarchical content but a nightmare in some situations.

Response from Monospace Inc

Hi Davide, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Our open-source platform is far more stable now, thanks to the full API rewrite, and also includes the Repeater interface you were looking for. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Alan

One of the greats

Pros

I'll start with the flexibility, you can create and edit every table in real-time and in an easy-to-use GUI. Best part is this can be clamped onto any SQL database and it will just start working then you can setup the table existing into the software.

Cons

Well I mean it's not quite and intuitive as something like WordPress but point people in the correct direction and they soon get the hang of it

Reasons for choosing Directus

Simple to use compared to other platforms and the awesome community support from them!

Reasons for switching to Directus

Limitations in WordPress and customisability you just can't, won't, and will never get with that platform. (Not to mention being slow and sluggish)

Brian

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Great product that is still young

We had departments using many different CMS's. They ranged from extremely expensive to open source projects. While Directus is not perfect, it has proven to be better than all the others. We have actively tried to improve the product, and we find that the others in the community do the same. Also, and this is a HUGE value, the response to questions and issues within the Directus-Slack channel is amazing! Actually, the communication and support from this organization is impeccable. Friendly, helpful, understanding. Just out of a sense of loyalty to such good people, I will want to stay with them.

Pros

The interface is very friendly, and as the product matures, the installation is becoming better.

Cons

This is not an enterprise-level application, yet. It has a number of tiny gotchas that one has to learn about. One can still do most anything they desire.

Reasons for choosing Directus

Regarding Adobe -- a CMS should have a small learning curve. With better documentation, Directus will be a product that is quickly adapted to any organization. Regarding Umbraco -- the decision here is hard to explain. We just found Directus to work better for us in more situations.

Reasons for switching to Directus

We also switched from Adobe, but I wasn't able to enter that. We switched off this product for it was really expensive with a really, really, really steep learning curve. We switched off of Umbraco due to design and small issues. Umbraco is actually a pretty decent product.

Ignacio

Best headless open source CMS

We're creating a completely custom web in which you can reuse components.

Pros

It's community support, open-source, and features. Nothing to envy from really expensive proprietary CMS.

Cons

Breaking changes in updates, lack of Many to Any support on App, failures updating large datasets with relationships, lack of a tool to perform migrations between environments and long URLs to consume. All of which are getting addressed at the moment :)

Reasons for switching to Directus

We had proposed Strapi to implement the solution because on paper was better, but once we started using it we got into many issues and features that at the moment weren't there. We tried directus and, even though at the moment was also lacking some things, got convinced quickly.

Response from Monospace Inc

Hi Ignacio, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. We've specifically addressed many of your Cons, including the very powerful many-to-any relationship type! Our open-source platform is also far more stable now, thanks to the full refactor. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Rémi

Industry: Printing

Directus, your friend and your first backend services (headless cms)

We build our api with the minimum technical ressources. Since I'm the only dev, it allow me to stay focus on the main product. A must have for starting projects.

Pros

Directus will allow you to create instant database with all security layers you may need for an api (auth, ...)

Cons

The data ownership by users is quite a pain (e.g : You want to create an item through a webhook and attribute it to a specific user) and user registration through api require some custom code to follow your expectation.

Reasons for choosing Directus

Directus is open source, can be hosted and works well with Docker.

Reasons for switching to Directus

Stronger than the previous one with more functionalities

Response from Monospace Inc

Hi Remi, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Our open-source platform is far more stable now, thanks to the full refactor. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Great headless CMS

Pros

You can manage your collections and content through good looking administration, you create (even complex) relationships between the collections, there is a support to manage localized content. Your content is served through REST or GraphQL API that is simple learn. Good support of roles and permissions who can consume the content through API. There is a good extensions support for both APP and API. Easy deployement with Docker.

Cons

Performance of API calls for more complex data (relation) can be a bit sluggish, but it can be solved by setting up cache. There are bugs that take a long time to solve. GraphQL API has still lacking features compared to REST API.

Reasons for choosing Directus

They don't have localization support for content

Reasons for switching to Directus

We needed to have headless CMS that could provide content through API

Response from Monospace Inc

Hello, and thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Some of the biggest improvements have been in the API's performance (even without the new Redis/Memory cache support). Our GraphQL API is also a lot further along now compared to the REST API. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Riley

Directus: A Rapid, Hands-Off-Your-Data, Headless CMS

Directus is fantastic for both building out databases without the tedious headaches of old, and for allowing end-users to manage and post content. There's a field for pretty much every scenario, and if there isn't one, the platform is built in a way that's extensible. The bonus on top of everything is the built-in API, which allows me to get projects up and running and cut out basically two thirds of application development. With Directus, I only have to worry about building the front-end—it's nice to know that I have the backing of an entire system as the other half of my team!

Pros

I am impressed with the continuous development of Directus and the commitment to deploying frequently. There are always new features and fixes and the team releases at a pace that would make a commercial team sweat, let alone an Open-Source team.

Cons

The only challenge I faced while setting up Directus was a little confusion about the config of setting up multiple projects on the same install. However, the documentation was thorough and the Slack talkative, and I was soon up and running with a shared instance that eliminates the maintenance of multiple instances.

Reasons for choosing Directus

Directus was appealing because it allows me to use the data structures and architectures for my projects that I have planned out, rather than forcing me to conform to a system or framework's way of doing things. After getting things set up, the speed for iterating is unparalleled, and I can make changes to the underlying UML and the admin panel and the API within seconds.

Eloy

Awesome piece of software

I've had to learn express and knex to implement custom endpoints and I really enjoy doing things this way. I also started using it's javascript sdk client and it's simply awesome!

Pros

It's really easy to setup and encourages to learn new technologies

Cons

It's not really done yet, I mean Directus is switching from PHP to Nodejs and this is a long proccess that is still happening and the documentation is not complete yet.

Reasons for choosing Directus

The price, the options and the possibility to run it locally

Limit of roles available

Goran

One of the best open source Headless CMS alternatives

We use directus for rapid database management, and for API endpoints to the data. We are customizing the solution to better fit with our needs and it works great.

Pros

1. Documentation has been on point. 3. The easie in which it is to get started is excellent with multiple alternatives like docker, 1click digital ocean setup etc. 2. I love the "project" aspect that allows you to connect multiple database instances within the same Admin App. 3.The Admin App is written made in VUE . Its super easy to pull it locally and connect it to your existing api if you need to fiddle with it. It also has a very modern design which is appealing. 4. Easy to add custom extensions in both the API and Admin App. 5. Good code design. For example the Admin App makes use of the same API endpoints intended external use. Anything the Admin App can do you can replicate with your own API calls. I use this as a cheat sheet when i'm too lazy to look at the documentation. 6. New release come regularly, and it's really getting better all the time. 7. Can import databases that were not created within the CMS

Cons

1. Support for only mysql. MongoDB support would have been magical. I have seen it in the roadmap, so let's hope it comes soon. 2. API response time. It's not bad, but its not great. I know they are working on it.

It's the better product.

Reasons for switching to Directus

1. More engaged community 2. Actively developed 3. Modern Admin App 4. API and APP seperation

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Beginning with Directus

Pros

Cons

Difficult to get started. Documentation is a bit lacking / confusing.

Reasons for choosing Directus

Community. Features. Development frequency. Tech stack.

Reasons for switching to Directus

Wanted to go in the headless CMS direction to better make use of our content.

Response from Monospace Inc

Hi John, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. I know you found it hard to get started with Directus, but we now have several guides for installation, and this quickstart guide: https://docs.directus.io/getting-started/quickstart/ Our open-source platform is far more stable now, thanks to the full refactor. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Joseph

A Powerful Open-Source Headless-CMS

I transitioned from Ghost for my website and it makes it super easy to have a decoupled & flexible CMS + website. The non-fixed data model system also lets me add custom features & models to my site.

Pros

I love that it is open source and the new version 9 is rewritten in JavaScript instead of PHP, so it is super fast and has modern features, like a GraphQL API. It is also versatile and open-source, making it possible to write extensions. The maintainers are super active on their Discord community and are super friendly.

Cons

Version 9 is still in pre-release (as of writing), so some parts are still a work-in-progress, but is otherwise pretty stable for pre-release.

Response from Monospace Inc

Thank you for the review, Joseph, we truly appreciate this feedback. I know Directus 9 is still in pre-release (RC), but is there anything specific you've noticed that we can improve/add/fix to earn a full five star rating? We value the insight each user/contributor offers... so I just wanted check!

Juan Carlos

Directus... You will love it!

Pros

Directus, as a Headless CMS pioneer, offers entirely free software that within a few minutes can have a full API, an easy to travel and learn app, and available with an SDK to easily develop applications. The GraphQL has been a great addition to the latest technology, and additionally, the community support is one the best I have had experienced. As I said, you will love it!

Cons

The latest version is written on NodeJS but uses a snake case compared to camelcase which is a JavaScript standard.

Lionel

Headless CMS, easy to use and administrate

It's a central piece of our organization, with thousands of DB items that are exported through multiple JSON feeds, so that they are consumed by several clients on a daily basis. Very happy with Directus, it's an upgrade over the solutions we used before that.

Pros

I like that Directus is free and open source, with an active community over Slack and that the software evolves very quickly. I also *love* the fact that you can access the whole SQL DB schema besson Directus.

Cons

New versions sometimes introduce critical bugs. The Directus team is responsive on GitHub and Slack, but it needs some time to validate new versions before upgrading production DBs.

Reasons for switching to Directus

Directus is more extensible and more scalable.

Response from Monospace Inc

Hi Lionel, thank you very much for your review of Directus 8. Over the past year, we've worked nonstop on bug fixes, Docs, and improvements to our open-source platform. Now on Directus 9 (a major release since your review, and now in node.js), we'd love the opportunity for you to take another look. Hopefully you'll consider checking out the latest release of Directus and updating your review to reflect this improved version. :)

Vladimir