• Pros

• "I really appreciated the potentialities to adapt the CMS to many various environments and contexts."

• "I really liked the headless aspect and how easy it is to build up the overall construct for your data. The API is nice documented and easy to understand."

• "Pretty Easy to setup. Conceptually it's easy to understand, just a wrapper on mySQL. Very powerful API Very easy to use admin interface."

• Cons

• "It very occasionally has bugs, but the support is fantastic and very quick to listen to users and out things right"

• "There is a lack of regression tests that validate when new features are developed, that everything is still working correctly. Sometimes some new developments break previous ones."

• "- There are still some rare bugs. (But the team will squish them afap as soon as it is reported)"

Browse Directus Reviews

Alejandro from CIBNOR

Excellent headless CMS

I have a very difficult multi-platform usecase involving languages from R/Python, reproducible data slicing, on the fly dataset creation all the way to front-end react, pregenerated app (gatsby) in a single build command. Directus is my sole source of truth, what I use to back this whole thing. This allows me to use the same translations and metadata for everything no matter if I am in R or Javascript consuming graphql, either on production client code or in static pregeneration stage in gatsby. There are other headless apis that can do this, but I cannot self host them and I need to be able to very quickly generate large datasets on the database as I research and tear them down in the same base as the CMS for the app. That is, I need this to run on my computer first. This is where directus knocked it out of the park for me. Also, docker setup is touch and go. Nothing needed. It is just great.

Pros

This is Free and Open Source Software at its best. Directus has a great, well tended community, excellent developers, many options and lots of friendly answers to real questions. I have not found any other headless API I can self host in amazon or wherever I want. This makes for a local development cycle, short time to market, very easy to prototybe setup for example for react/gatsby apps.

Cons

The app where you manage the database still needs a bit more documentation. It does not lack features, but some features lack propper documentation. I hope to help on this in the future!

Reasons for Choosing Directus

I tested all headless cms apis out there (cant remember the names of all of them). None of them fit my use case.

Brian from Bose

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Great product that is still young

We had departments using many different CMS's. They ranged from extremely expensive to open source projects. While Directus is not perfect, it has proven to be better than all the others. We have actively tried to improve the product, and we find that the others in the community do the same. Also, and this is a HUGE value, the response to questions and issues within the Directus-Slack channel is amazing! Actually, the communication and support from this organization is impeccable. Friendly, helpful, understanding. Just out of a sense of loyalty to such good people, I will want to stay with them.

Pros

The interface is very friendly, and as the product matures, the installation is becoming better.

Cons

This is not an enterprise-level application, yet. It has a number of tiny gotchas that one has to learn about. One can still do most anything they desire.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

Regarding Adobe -- a CMS should have a small learning curve. With better documentation, Directus will be a product that is quickly adapted to any organization. Regarding Umbraco -- the decision here is hard to explain. We just found Directus to work better for us in more situations.

Davide from we-go

Fantastic concept, medium user experience

Until now the experience is good: I like the idea and it works for the project that we started with Directus. We still need to resolve some issues, like how to properly manage pages and SEO data or how to overcome the lack of the repeater field, but it's working well. The experience with the support was fantastic. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was kind and friendly, in spite of my incompetence. I appreciate the enthusiasm and the open source spirit. Sometimes I experienced some limits for the reasons mentioned early, but I'm happy.

Pros

I love the concept behind Directus: the idea to freely create a database in an easy way, organizing the content as you need or as you imagined it. I come from Kirby CM and Craft CMS and doing websites in which the custom design is the key, it's important to us to shape our content as we want. It's easy to install, the Slack support is friendly and helpful. In the search for the perfect headless CMS solution, it was my choice, also because it's open source and at the moment the pricing of others options is over budget for our clients. We were ok paying a fee for a license, but not a perpetual subscription. Moreover, a key point in the decision to adopt it is the self-hosted solution: we wanted to avoid every possible lock-in. Finally, the stack: working in a communication agency, we are not software engineers: PHP + Vue.js it's a perfect combination. React and node.js onthe server was a switch too big to take another leap.

Cons

Above all, the bugs: being open source and free it's normal, but it is frustrating in the measure we decided to use it for clients works. Second: the lack of documentation for the interfaces or for the detailed use of the JS SDK. Moreover, sometimes I felt overwhelmed by the technical details of the interface. I don't have competence in relational databases and to me too much things doesn't have a meaning. But I'm mainly a front-end developer that try to be "independent", so I think that it's normal. Finally: the lack of a good repeater. At the moment it's impossible to use a file field in it, or to repeat a group of field. For us it's almost a strict requirement for clients projects.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

For the pricing, but above all for the requirement of our managers to have the code and the data on our servers. In addition to that, the idea to have the opportunity to customize it was very important. But please, takes Dato CMS as a reference: it has everything a digital agency could dream!

Riley from Freelance

Directus: A Rapid, Hands-Off-Your-Data, Headless CMS

Directus is fantastic for both building out databases without the tedious headaches of old, and for allowing end-users to manage and post content. There's a field for pretty much every scenario, and if there isn't one, the platform is built in a way that's extensible. The bonus on top of everything is the built-in API, which allows me to get projects up and running and cut out basically two thirds of application development. With Directus, I only have to worry about building the front-end—it's nice to know that I have the backing of an entire system as the other half of my team!

Pros

I am impressed with the continuous development of Directus and the commitment to deploying frequently. There are always new features and fixes and the team releases at a pace that would make a commercial team sweat, let alone an Open-Source team.

Cons

The only challenge I faced while setting up Directus was a little confusion about the config of setting up multiple projects on the same install. However, the documentation was thorough and the Slack talkative, and I was soon up and running with a shared instance that eliminates the maintenance of multiple instances.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

Directus was appealing because it allows me to use the data structures and architectures for my projects that I have planned out, rather than forcing me to conform to a system or framework's way of doing things. After getting things set up, the speed for iterating is unparalleled, and I can make changes to the underlying UML and the admin panel and the API within seconds.

Rémi from Coraye

Industry: Printing

Directus, your friend and your first backend services (headless cms)

We build our api with the minimum technical ressources. Since I'm the only dev, it allow me to stay focus on the main product. A must have for starting projects.

Pros

Directus will allow you to create instant database with all security layers you may need for an api (auth, ...)

Cons

The data ownership by users is quite a pain (e.g : You want to create an item through a webhook and attribute it to a specific user) and user registration through api require some custom code to follow your expectation.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

Directus is open source, can be hosted and works well with Docker.

Ignacio from CoKaiDo

Best headless open source CMS

We're creating a completely custom web in which you can reuse components.

Pros

It's community support, open-source, and features. Nothing to envy from really expensive proprietary CMS.

Cons

Breaking changes in updates, lack of Many to Any support on App, failures updating large datasets with relationships, lack of a tool to perform migrations between environments and long URLs to consume. All of which are getting addressed at the moment :)

Great headless CMS

Pros

You can manage your collections and content through good looking administration, you create (even complex) relationships between the collections, there is a support to manage localized content. Your content is served through REST or GraphQL API that is simple learn. Good support of roles and permissions who can consume the content through API. There is a good extensions support for both APP and API. Easy deployement with Docker.

Cons

Performance of API calls for more complex data (relation) can be a bit sluggish, but it can be solved by setting up cache. There are bugs that take a long time to solve. GraphQL API has still lacking features compared to REST API.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

They don't have localization support for content

Lionel from SheerID

Headless CMS, easy to use and administrate

It's a central piece of our organization, with thousands of DB items that are exported through multiple JSON feeds, so that they are consumed by several clients on a daily basis. Very happy with Directus, it's an upgrade over the solutions we used before that.

Pros

I like that Directus is free and open source, with an active community over Slack and that the software evolves very quickly. I also *love* the fact that you can access the whole SQL DB schema besson Directus.

Cons

New versions sometimes introduce critical bugs. The Directus team is responsive on GitHub and Slack, but it needs some time to validate new versions before upgrading production DBs.

Vladimir from Canic Interactive LLC

Slick looking and easy to start with

Overall impression (on our initial evaluation) was that someone really invested lot of time and thought into it.

Pros

CMS looks very mature, with lots of functionality already there. No need for installing tons of plugins, modules, extensions... Open source and i18n were our main perks when we chose Directus over others.

Cons

We've pinpointed bad time to start with it. Directus Team just started rolling out v8 where available documentation was for v7. Some small issues were visible, but quickly ironed out with swift releases. On the other hand - Slack support + Git issue tracking worked for us very well.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

PHP based, easy to clone instances and keep presets (content types, userbase), clean DB structure. Updates are as easy as "git pull".

Nils from Brackweder Gymnasium

Fast, simple and easy to setup.

Pros

Getting started with Directus is pretty easy because the documentation is very beginner friendly. Due to its simplistic style, it's easy to understand, but not restricting in any way. Its easily expandable and customizable and can be used anywhere.

Cons

There are only a few people working on the project so progress can be slow sometimes.

Goran from Retail Industry

One of the best open source Headless CMS alternatives

We use directus for rapid database management, and for API endpoints to the data. We are customizing the solution to better fit with our needs and it works great.

Pros

1. Documentation has been on point. 3. The easie in which it is to get started is excellent with multiple alternatives like docker, 1click digital ocean setup etc. 2. I love the "project" aspect that allows you to connect multiple database instances within the same Admin App. 3.The Admin App is written made in VUE . Its super easy to pull it locally and connect it to your existing api if you need to fiddle with it. It also has a very modern design which is appealing. 4. Easy to add custom extensions in both the API and Admin App. 5. Good code design. For example the Admin App makes use of the same API endpoints intended external use. Anything the Admin App can do you can replicate with your own API calls. I use this as a cheat sheet when i'm too lazy to look at the documentation. 6. New release come regularly, and it's really getting better all the time. 7. Can import databases that were not created within the CMS

Cons

1. Support for only mysql. MongoDB support would have been magical. I have seen it in the roadmap, so let's hope it comes soon. 2. API response time. It's not bad, but its not great. I know they are working on it.

It's the better product.

Shea from Resauce Development

Exceptional Product

Both my clients and I update our content through Directus and we find it very easy to do so!

Pros

Directus is Open-Source and provides an easy-to-use interface that allows myself and my users to navigate the system and update data and content as needed. The Rest API is well-documented making integration into any system very easy! I love being able to get setup with a new project in minutes rather than hours.

Cons

There's nothing I don't love about Directus, there's always something that could be added to make the product better, but it all requires financing and I can't complain when it's free

Reasons for Choosing Directus

The cost of the product was a defining factor for me, I much prefered an Open-Source product that I could contribute back to!

Fabian from dasbomm

Only one important thing is missing

Using it to manage users of a plattform that offers handmade image-editing via a software.

Pros

+ Minimalistic interface + Cool features (e.g. to create those individual "views" on tables in the interface) + JS SDK that makes authorization in vue-apps a breeze + Token-refreshing + Fast + Easy to setup + "Readable" SQL-structure + Extensive roles & rights management

Cons

- There is no relation-type, that can handle relations between items of multiple collections (This is my most wanted feature, and for others too as i saw in the slack-workspace) - sometimes things happened (i dunno exactly when) that made the DB or tables crashed (maybe referred to a faulty operation from my side)

- More lean - More simple - More slim

John from Appalachian Mountain Club

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Beginning with Directus

Pros

The best thing about Directus is the community. It is great to be able to ask questions and get a real person to walk you through a solution.

Cons

Difficult to get started. Documentation is a bit lacking / confusing.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

Community. Features. Development frequency. Tech stack.

Steve from Internet

Free headless CMS that does everything you need it to

I'm using it on several websites as the backend CMS. I also have writers using it who are not hugely computer literate and they have no problems with it at all. It allows me to build the front end of the site without having to worry about fitting in with the framework of another system.

Pros

The flexibility in that it can be used with our without the api

It's free

Adrian from EY

Industry: Program Development

Directus works fine

Pros

Directus covers almost entirely the needs of the project. Many improvements are currently being developed that help make things easier, in addition to new features

Reasons for Choosing Directus

Directus adapted much more to the needs of the project

Kevin from web://contact GmbH

Using Directus since v6.x

we needed an headless CMS which we can self host and Directus was perfectly for this part. Easy to install and to set it up. Specially the translation part was necessary for our first project and even without it we're still using Directus. Version 7 was great and now we're about to upgrade some of our projects to Version 8 (the demo looks awesome so far)

Pros

Cons

In version 6 the API is really slow when your database is quite huge. The issue was reported but couldn't be solved in this version so we had to upgrade the whole project (loading time for a site was 6s+...)

Reasons for Choosing Directus

We just found some alternatives but the most of them were way too expensive and then came Directus. We tried it and it fits us perfectly. No need to name some alternatives.

Lazer from Tech Elevator

Feature-Rich Admin panel

I have created a headless API that serves JSON metadata about podcasts, including a link to the MP3 file (in an S3 bucket), the name of the presenter, the series of talks to which it belongs, and a boolean isPrivate. I have created related collections in the Admin panel, and now the 1 or 2 admins who add new recorded alks can add a series easily, add a speaker easily, add a category easily, and then add a lecture - using a dropdown to select which speaker, topic, category, and series this lecture belongs to. Now the management of organizing these assets can be handled by anyone who knows how to use a web browser!

Pros

The admin panel has an intuitive interface for managing database relationships (collections), users, fields for your data types. I feel excited to present my non-technical media producers with a way to add their media files, tag them appropriately by creator, relate them to 'topics' stored another table, and be able to update and add new topics with no technical expertise.

Cons

I had some challenges in setup that came down to outdated or incomplete documentation, but that may also be lack of experience on my side. Perhaps some things that were not explicit were actually expected knowledge that I was lacking.

Vincenzo from Doxee

Great Potential

I'm currently using Directus and working on customizations, sometimes it appears hard to add custom modules or to work on the already existing architecture but I'd say that I'm generally positive about Directus.

Pros

Directus is quite impressive about the potentials it have from a business point of view. The software is easy to configure and the community is very active continously improving the available functionalities and solving known issues

Cons

Some features are still not fully working (i.e. forgot password and reset password needs some work) PHP in my opinion is not very flexible for developer, so it require lots of components to be added

Benjamin from Freelancer

THe first headless CMS that truly can claim the name headless CMS

I love having the ability to create EXACTLY my Interface in the Backend as i needed. I can easily extend it, and if i got problems the Team is made up of really great people. I would not ever think about using any other CMS currently as this is, as a Developer, a real heaven.

Pros

- Data is 1:1 mirrored for the End User and you can implement DD interfaces as a dev yourself. - JSON REST API - User and Groups

Artem from frequi GmbH & Co. KG

Very lightweight Open-Source headless CMS

Pros

- Open-Source - Lightweight - On-Premise Version available - Great support

Cons

- Sometimes too breaking changes in the minor versions - Support mostly only for the last main version

- Lightweight - Open Source - On-Premise version

Derek from Lambda Curry

Directus: Best Open Source Headless CMS Out There.

Overall Directus has been great.

Pros

Cons

There's a considerable number of bugs, and some features just flat out don't work anymore (caching). The documentation for docker wasn't great, but it is getting better! PHP isn't that fast, I haven't been able to get sub 100ms response times. PHP isn't a well loved language anymore, and fewer developers know it each year.

Damien from Spicy Life

A fair customizable CMS

Directus allowed me to quickly build up a multilingual CMS for various client projects. It was not so complicated to setup although the overall UX could be improved, especially for the newcomers.

Pros

Cons

It it sometimes cumbersome to understand the logic when discovering Directus. It lacks a comprehensive support for beginners, for usual and advanced use scenarios.

Alex from AppHouse Tech

Love how easy it is to start creating APIs

Pros

The documentation was really good and I found it easy to figure things out without needing to contact the support guys all the time

Cons

Not having available plugins to use out of the box and having to build them.

Christian from mutor GmbH

Feature-rich and extensible Headless CMS

We are a creative agency, which is using the software for small and medium sized projects - mostly mobile app scenarios. We really appreciate the efforts of RangerStudio to produce such a stable piece of Open Source software, which also can withstand production use cases with ease.

Pros

The CMS is quite feature-rich and already provides most of the functions we need for our customers' scenarios. Beyond that, it is fairly easy to extend it to special requirements using modules and custom endpoints; we are now using it for several projects over the period of several month, and the CMS and its functionality gets better and better; The new v8 Admin panel looks great too.

Cons

Since the project is Open-Source and community-driven, it's a bit hard to get support for very specific problems. Sometimes nobody responded to my questions on the official Slack channel. Debugging errors and custom endpoints is a bit cumbersome, since every change needs to be first deployed to the final staging or production environment.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

- Open Source - multi-language translation possibilty - extensibility - liked the UI more

Esther from Financial Services

a great tool

It´s a great experience to work with directus as it is a free tool that can be used for clients as well as developers in a friendly way.

Pros

it's for free. You can customize any data.

Cons

whenever there is a new version some of the items some functionalities doesn´t work.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

It´s for free and all the functionalities that I need are there.

Jolomi from Philleep Florence

Why use Directus

Useful for API Management as well as Content Management for Web Apps.

Pros

Open source and non opinionated. Easy to extend. Flexible. Customer service on Slack.

Cons

Documentation could be a bit more in depth for developers looking to extend the open source code, but some help is provided on Slack.

Michael from michaelneumair.de

Greate database management content management system

Needed a CMS but without interfering in how I set up my database model in any way. Directus helped a lot by having a mature and well made and user friendly user interface and on the other side it didn't force me how to design my database in any way.

Pros

The well designed user interface and how I can plug it in into any MySQL database. One big plus are also the developers of directus who react quickly and helped a lot.

Cons

Sometimes its bugs due to rapid development of the software itself.

Reasons for Choosing Directus

It was the best open source headless CMS I found which had a beautiful and working user interface and gave me a lot of freedom as a developer.

Carlota from Az

Industry: Computer Networking

Nice CMS

Pros

Customizable cms with a lot of options and is improving in each version. Further, you can suggest changes and improves and usually they add in the next version.

Cons

In some improments some old functionalities stop working.

David from Studio Brüll

Modular

Headless cms for contents of interactive trade fair exhibits that roll out event based..

Pros

Open source Modular Scalable Apo first Multilanguage support

Cons

No option for push pull control of database for offline usage.. I seek to use it as an offline local environment with an online version for content editors. But I local machine has to check online vs offline version and pull latest content. Locally the the client software would call a local api..

Local install. Open source

Jonathan from Duffy & Shanley

It WILL be great

Using Directus as a CMS for a fairly simple Nuxt site. I've been very back and forth about this review. I want to recommend it so more people use it and it gains more traction, because I know it's going to be a great product, and it's getting better all the time. But for the time being, I don't think it's there yet. Check back in six months!

Pros

Free, open source, self hosted, some docker support. They do listen to community desires (GraphQL recently implemented as well as a repeater field (THANK YOU), among others).

Cons

Lots of fiddly bugs. In the last release, M2M relationships weren't deleted from the database when they were deleted in the CMS leading to all sorts of issues. Just one of many bugs. It gets better all the time, but I recommend testing it out first. There's DigitalOcean one click install that is pretty simple to set up.

Alberto from Becreatives

Cool but not ready to use, at least for me

7/10

Pros

Easy of use, the dashboard is done really well, i think one of the best i’ve seen in a Headless CMS.

Cons

A lot of bugs: - the main problem are sql queries, there was a lot of bugs when tried to create/update data or fields - if you enable cache (via redis for example) login is broken - when you choose the size of the fields there isn’t a grid for 3 fields

Linton from OneSheep

Pain Free Headless CMS

It works as our content management service in the back end of a mobile app, non technical people are using it and are not struggling. Extensions are working seamlessly.

Pros

I really appreciated the ease of installation, set up and the final integration with your existing database. I also found a way to write a small extension for the software very easily. I had to use the documentation very rarely, and when I did it was at worst adequate, but generally good.

Cons

I can't think of a complaint yet. All has been well

Reasons for Choosing Directus

The overall ease of installation, flexibility of the management of the tables as well as directus not really impacting your own database structure too much, storing all it needs in directus specific tables.

Jan from Radio Hitwave e.V.

Very simple headless CMS with ready-to-use REST API

We are moving multiple web applications into Directus, and managing our data within that system. This makes data-maintenance much easier for our data managers, and enables our developers to focus on the frontend development.

Pros

Quick to install and upgrade, just clone the GIT repository. Bugs get fixed quite fast, and there is an active community. The software brings a ready-to-use REST- and GraphQL-API and permission management.

Cons

While the community is quite active, there is an initial delay when asking questions in the Slack space.

Andres from Innlab Company

Easy to use initial configuration SQL for REST API & GraphQL

Good functionality because you don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Pros

It has control panel management for collection (tables) from SQL for REST API (CRUD) functionality with GraphQL support. And it has permission system through JWT

Cons

It has some minor UI errors, but the team fixes them daily. Some features you need functional. but team reports next implementations

Pascal from OnlineLessons.tv

Industry: Music

My directus review

Pros

- Very flexible - big community and support

Cons

- many small bugs in depth - often new bugs in new releases - many things missing in the documentation

Liran from Computer Software

Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Directus Review

Pros

1. helpful community on slack 2. slick UI 3. many functionalities with Directus app

Cons

1. the tech stack - using PHP instead of javascript.