What are Drupal users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Drupal software through verified user reviews

• icon"I like the product for its capability for development, content management and integration with other applications."
  • icon"Drupal's ability to fit every potential need is what originally drew me to the platform and keeps me developing in it's rich environment."
  • icon"I liked this CMS because it has a huge number of ready-made modules and from them, like from bricks, you can easily assemble a site."
  • icon"But I had problems when choosing a hosting. I managed to connect only one of the three hosted hosting, because the platform requirements are quite high."
  • icon"Also, the admin UI has - until recently - been quite poor."
  • icon"Drupal can be daunting or simply to complicated to use for untrained staff, and for a developer it's tricky to lock down so they're forced into a set pathway, without losing that versatility."

Browse all Drupal Reviews

• Have you used Drupal and would like to share your experience with others?

Luke

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

Powerful open source alternative to WCMS monoliths

Darwin

May 2022

Very complete CMS with robuts security features

Pros

We use Drupal for most advanced developments we can't do with using Wordpress, it does do its job and way beyond that.

Cons

It's a bit more complicated to use than other CMS which requieres more "hard to find" developers with experience on it.

Drupal is difficult but worth it

It was very difficult to get started with the product but I find the flexibility more than rewarding as I perceive an unlimited ceiling in developing with the product.

Pros

Cons

It's very challenging to get started in Drupal. Naming conventions concerning views, nodes, taxonomy, menu items, panels, modules and tokens can be confusing and particularly overwhelming to a beginner.

Reasons for choosing Drupal

Drupal appeared to have the most professional large-company client base.

Reasons for switching to Drupal

Wordpress's core product was too simple and full of frustrating "gotchas". It seemed that to get anything setup except a basic site would require the purchasing of multiple plugins.

Industry: Medical Devices

Drupal Was a Decent Option Years Ago but I Would Not Consider it Today

Drupal has been an affordable content management system for us over the years but I wouldn't consider them now based on there being more user friendly options out there.

Pros

The Drupal content management system is free and the WYSIWYG ( What You See Is What You Get) editor is helpful for those of us who run a website without much HTML knowledge.

Cons

The product is difficult to use with limited coding knowledge. Additionally, there are few plug-ins and the add-ons that do exist are not super reliable as they are essentially created by volunteers.

Reasons for choosing Drupal

At the time, it sounded like Drupal would be the easiest to integrate with an online store

Reasons for switching to Drupal

As a recent adopter of the HubSport CRM, we think HubSpot CMS is worth taking a chance of due to the promise of integration. The CMS package also seems affordable.

February 2022

Drupal is more for advanced users/developer

Initially great as I built the site out, I had to utilize more resources than I wanted or intended. If that was not an issue I may have stayed there but as a smaller company that became an overhead beyond the initial scope of just a time investment.

Pros

It was super fast (which I loved) it was very advanced lots of tools. Customization was fairly straightforward. I also felt like at the time is was very flexible giving the me the ability to integrate other content modes (images, video's etc.) with little effort.

Cons

The initial learning curve was hard. It's not operate out the box system like other CMS programs. As fast it was initially without constant tweaks as you add to site the load becomes a separate job itself. That fact there forced me to find a pay and developer. Not what I had in mind.

Reasons for choosing Drupal

It was the first CMS product I ever found. I have previously be html only.

Waqas

Best for Building Enterprise class Web Applications.

Drupal is very scalable for developing enterprise standards intranet based applications.

Pros

I used lots of Content Management Systems for building website. Durpal is one of them it is older than the Wordrpess. It's custom content types and views are very flexible. Provides Access Control/ User Permission even you can create your own rules. It provides multilingual sites support without any third party extension. It is best suited for developing Enterprise and Intranet based applications.

Cons

Sometimes it hard to configure on web hosting site due to higher hardware requirements compare with other Content Management Systems. It customization is limited to compared with the most popular CMS Wordpress. It requires basic coding skill.

Reece

The Best CMS

Excellent. Very nostalgic to think about my journey with this software. I have built countless websites over the years using Drupal, and my experience has been varied.

Pros

Drupal is, in my opinion, the best open source CMS available. I have seen it grow since version 4.0 and heavily used it right up until version 7. Drupal 6 was the golden era. There are countless extensions, most of which are completely free and built by a passionate community. If you need a fast, reliable CMS for free, this is the first place you should start.

Cons

Since the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] left, things haven't felt the same. It has sadly become more up-market and commercial. However the core software and extensions still remain, and it is still probably the best CMS on the market.

Reasons for switching to Drupal

Drupal is better in almost every way. It feels more open and has a better community.

Mckenzie

Best CMS solution

As much as the ease was for us to host our website, there is little scope for us to move on to the higher upgraded version of Drupal.

Pros

An easy and affordable CMS that can help build websites and ease of maintenance and upgradation

Cons

There is not much support on certain modules beyond Drupal 8 which has made us keep our website running on Drupal 8. The higher versions do not help customized or migrate to those versions and lesser support for them.

Reasons for choosing Drupal

More features that we needed were in Drupal than in Confluence made us opt to use Drupal

The rival to Wordpress that does not want to win the fight

Drupal is very different. It tries and tries to be better than WP but nevertheless it is still the tool for the specific people who are fed up with WordPress and want to try anything but doing "another wordpress website"

Pros

I like the functionality Drupal offers and the different approach to things. It is a nice try and the features such as security and performance that come with drupal as well as the tool for multisites are amazing and they work very nicely.

Cons

Drupal is nowhere near being a beautiful tool. It is pretty hard to learn and not easy to customize. Partially because the shortage of new integrations and new developers joining the community. It's hard to fight wp, but I really like that drupal tries and I believe it will always will but will never get there due to its audience limitations.

Reasons for choosing Drupal

Drupal was a part of my work requirements and I was doing a couple of projects on it before switching to WP.

DRUPAL DEPLOYMENT

I have generated multiple content management systems with DRUPAL, it is a great ally for the developer because of its easy connection with thousands and thousands of plugins, it also allows the generation and creation of them from native php

Pros

It is easy to generate its deployment in production and testing environments

Cons

It is not a complaint but sometimes when making a modification the cache is not cleaned immediately and you should wait

Reasons for choosing Drupal

La experiencia de desarrollo es mas amigable, y se contaba con mas experiencia para este CMS

April 2022

Most useful CMS

Pros

The security and ease of deployment it offers

Cons

Its not favourable to non technical users

Tafadzwa

May 2022

drupal review by TAFADZWA MUSINIWA

quite an overall good experience

Pros

it is good in designing websites and pages are properly aligned

Cons

its not very easy to use and the user experience is not actually good

Always Flexible

I have solved various business use cases with Drupal. I've been able to build standard marketing web sites, real estate sites, work order system, online calendar scheduling, and a multitude of other types of sites. This is all possible via the modules available and the software being open source.

Pros

The most impactful feature of Drupal is that the software is open source. This means it is full extendable and allows new features to be created to enhance the product by end users. The flexibility this provides to continue growing a web site makes it priceless. The community around the project is amazing and has provided excellent modules to get a site up and running easily.

Cons

The product does not lack features. There is a learning curve to get started, but every new product has a learning curve. The hook system allows integrating to the site, but does have a learning curve to understand the various hooks that are available.

Reasons for choosing Drupal

Drupal provided more features than those that were available with Joomla or WordPress. The user permission system and editing system was much more robust.

Imad

Great for multiple teams in different Regions

Overall, it gives me the peace of mind that I don't need to learn coding to update my website.

Pros

Once it's set-up, which I'm sure would be a complicated task, it gets very easy to modify things on the website. Even people who don't know website building, can easily update their websites.

Cons

Once the webiste is built, there is not much room to move around, be creative. The design layout is fixed and no place where you can modify them, as a user ofcourse.

Reasons for choosing Drupal

More secure, easier for multiple team members to work on it and update it.

Reasons for switching to Drupal

You need to know some amount of coding for this which wasn't helping me and my team.

Bryan

Drupal 8 is my go to for Website Development

One of the most significant of business problems that I am solving by using this software for my consulting business is being able to provide a secure and stable website. The software itself informs me of when updates to the software or modules are available and those updates have always been painless and easy to implement. Similarly, creating websites for clients has also been easier with use of the Drupal 8 software as it reduces the need for repetitive tasks that tend to be associated with either creating websites file by file or the use of some of the other CMS software solutions that are available. I have also found that installing and setting up client websites using the Drupal 8 software is much easier than some of the other CMS software solutions that I have used in the past.

Pros

One of the things that I like the most about this software is its reliability and flexibility in being able to adapt to the various needs of businesses wishing to have an online presence.

Cons

Throughout my use of this software, I can not truthfully think of anything that I don't like about this software as it has significantly improved over the past seven years.

Reasons for choosing Drupal

While Drupal and Joomla have similarities in the flexibility that they offer in the design and development of websites and the availability of plugins, modules, and extensions, I found that Joomla! seems to have changed the way plugins for the software are made available through its website. Unfortunately, in that change, the modules, extensions, and plugins listed on the Joomla! website aren't always what they are listed to be as some of the developers of these Joomla! additions/modifications use the listings as a means of driving traffic to their website rather than on the delivery of what was indicated in the listing.

Reasons for switching to Drupal

I made the switch from WordPress because Drupal 8 gave me greater control over the appearance of my website with a fresh install and little need for the installation of additional modules and plugins. While WordPress also offered and made notice of regular updates that were painless to install, I found that not all of the verified plugins provide a desirable effect on the website (sometimes these changes aren't readily visible outside of search engines such as Google sending notice of problems).

Jason

Drupal is a fantastic CMS

I like it a lot but because of their update cycle it should only be used on projects that have a lifespan of 5 years or less.

Pros

Views is the best thing about Drupal. Pre-Views, Drupal is a decent CMS, perhaps a bit more logical than WordPress, but with a lot less users it's hard to justify it. However with Views, you can make advanced applications with a pretty easy to learn interface. It's really, really close to a visual programming language, although there are still some things you'll need to break out the code for. I also really appreciate that most of the modules don't make too many assumptions. With WordPress, I constantly have to fight against styling and strangely formatted HTML inserted by plugins, and that's less common with Drupal modules.

Cons

It requires a fairly beefy hosting setup and a good caching setup to perform well. I also strongly, STRONGLY dislike that sites created five years ago now HAVE to be rebuilt, or they are not secure. That may be fine for enterprise, but it sucks for someone who makes lots of small sites for small businesses. Platforms should be supported for at least ten years IMO, the web has been stable for a while now and there's no good reason to force complete rebuilds. WordPress does this better and manages to continually keep sites upgradeable without a rebuild.

Reasons for choosing Drupal

Drupal is a good choice over WordPress for projects that require a searchable database, where Views is at its best. WordPress is a better choice for SEO-focused projects because of Rank Math and other great SEO tools that exist only in the WordPress ecosystem. I don't even understand how Joomla is still a thing. Almost all of its plugins appear outdated. I haven't used it in over a decade, but there's a reason for that.

Joaquin

One of the most robust and secure Web CMS in the market

The security of having a tool that allows me to deal with almost any web project that requires content management, scalability and security.

Pros

If you have to face the development of an intranet or a medium or complex web project, Drupal is definitely one of the options that you have to consider. It is open source backed by a large community that has been committed for years to a project that is characterized by its flexibility and security. Drupal provides a robust content authoring platform and is capable of handling large numbers of users with clear rules and permits. One of the bases of Drupal is its system of modules. Eventually, almost any functionality you may need can be added to the system through modules (built based on PHP, JavaScript, HTML and CSS). And yet, I bet you will not even have to develop it, because surely it will already be available among the immense amount of modules that the community has contributed during these years (especially for version 7). The theme system is another of the important element. If you do not need to develop your own interface from scratch, you can choose one of the large number of free themes available and adapt it to your needs, being able to even configure many features without modifying the source code. Certainly, it does not seem like a very intuitive method, but once you understand it you can implement almost everything you need. In its latest version, Drupal has been almost completely modernized; it has discarded many failures that hindered its performance and have included in its core many important functionalities that were contributed by modules.

Cons

Drupal can be difficult to deal with for non-developer or technical profile users. Depending on your objectives, the learning curve can be considerable. The fact of being an almost module-dependent system for most of the functionalities can force you to deal with many configurations, compatibility issues and workflows when you want to implement complex functionalities that may even need several modules working together. As I see it, this is not necessarily a negative thing, but rather the cost of the flexibility and power it gives you. If the design and the appearance are important in your project, you will have to put a little more effort into the work; unfortunately, many of Drupal's graphic themes do not look as fashionable or in trend as those of WordPress, which is still the leader in this section. It is possible to achieve it, but you will have to dedicate time or pay for it. As the number of modules and the database grows, the performance of Drupal may be affected, so it is important to learn to keep it in shape and updated, activate the cache and continuously evaluate the relevance and usefulness of each of the added modules. Although it has been greatly optimized with the arrival of Drupal 8, it is not something that should be neglected in medium and large projects.

Drupal has Evolved into a Great CMS

Peace of mind, in regard to security. With a bit of customization, it makes managing web development projects much simpler and more productive. Releases like Thunder and Lightning hold the potential to become ever-better 'jump starts' toward the ideal CMS for publishing collaboratively.

Pros

Open Source GPL v2.0 or later = no license fees, ever. That's hard to beat, but the fact is that it's the better solution (even if it wasn't free). I've used it before, constantly revisiting; hoping it could be what 8.4.x is now. Know that "Enterprise Level Security" doesn't make it bulletproof, but that there are scores of highly skilled folks constantly pouring over every aspect of this software, with each component required to complete stringent testing before it gets a pass -- using experimental modules 'n such can reduce these benefits, soOo... do your homework. Biggest Pro? It isn't Wordpress. If properly installed and maintained, it's one of the best possible solutions. That's why so many government agencies, or even governments themselves, have built upon Drupal. I have 500+ active domains, and have used Drupal 100+ times or more. It's been our best choice, in most cases.

Cons

Documentation is sorta thin, which is often the case with major releases of open source software solutions, but it isn't that difficult to find answers: People often answer others that have encountered similar problems. The 'steep learning curve' isn't such a hard climb, since there are countless videos and tutorials out there... it's easily worth the trouble, even if you have no background in programming of web development. Installation could be made far simpler (e.g. the 'trusted host configuration' should be set up by the installer itself). But, it is hard to complain when -- sorta ashamed that I haven't put in the hours it takes to affect these changes I'd like to see. Manual (and frequent) updates are a bit of a pain, but it sure beats software that isn't being so actively developed as to require updates. Or, worse still, have nobody watching what the others offer as plug-in. Again: It's hard to complain without having put in nearly the time that countless others have (we all oughta give back, when/where we can ~;-)

Madhu

Industry: Graphic Design

Phenomenal software

Pros

Drupal has seven main Pros: 1) It's uses a very flexible system of modules. You can use Drupal modules to add new features to your site. For example, the Membership module lets you add member based services, the Video modules lets you host video clips, while the Commerce module lets you add shopping features. Each modules is made up of smaller modules, which ensures you only activate the bits you need for your project. Best of all, you can mix and match the modules to create things the original module designers might have never considered. For example, combine the Commerce, Membership and Video modules to create a paid for membership site of training videos. 2) It's very layered. In Drupal, system code lives in one layer, code to do with appearance (e.g. CSS, HTML) lives in another separate layer and custom modifications live in another separate layer. This makes it very easy to change things. For example, you can change the entire layout of your site without having to modify the original content to adapt to it. 3) It's free Remarkably, the core technology and all these modules are available for free. There are some themes that you have to pay for if you want to change the look of your site, but you can make your own themes and there are number of free themes as well. 4) Great user support Drupal has a good support network of dedicated and helpful users who are willing to provide plenty of free help. There's also free training videos on YouTube. 5) Plenty of updates Drupal releases minor updates on a monthly basis which address any of bugs or security concerns that crop up. There are also major updates every 2-3 years, which radically change the functionality of the core system. 6) Portable code Most code can easily be transferred between sites. Hence, if you create a function on one site, you can move it to another without having to re-do it all from scratch. 7) Don’t need strong coding skills Drupal's module system means you can easily achieve a lot without needing to know how to code. It might not look and function exactly as you want, but it will be a decent effort.

Cons

Drupal has 2 main set backs: 1) It can get very complicated The down side of all the flexibility, is that there are often 10 ways to do one thing in Drupal and it's not always clear which method is best. Often the only way you can find out is through experience. Which means your early Drupal projects might not be as good as they could be, as you cut your teeth on learning which methods are best for you. 2) Your code won’t last forever. Every 2-3 years, Drupal releases a new major update which radically changes the functionality of the site. The plus side of this is that it makes Drupal better. The downside is that you will often have to completely re-write your custom code. Because these major updates change everything, you will often need to install new modules to replace old ones. Essentially you have to rebuild your site (thankfully all the content can be transferred over). Upgrading isn't a requirement. But after a couple of years, the older versions of Drupal are no longer supported. So if building a Drupal site, expect to redo it from scratch it in 3-5 years. Hence, it's not really good for projects which only have a budget for minor changes each year.

Very well engineered CMS

Drupal has been an excellent CMS and has helped us greatly in implementing and maintaining a data driven website.

Pros

We've been using Drupal for our websites for many years and have found it to be a very well engineered Content Management System (CMS). We have a comprehensive back catalog of sermons and songs and Drupal has the best data storage and organisation system of the open source CMS systems. It has been a pleasure to work with Drupal and how it has been designed from the ground up to handle all manner of complicated scenarios seamlessly.

Cons

With the transition to Drupal 8 and beyond, a lot of contributed modules that we were using on Drupal 7 became unusable and there seems to be no plan to update these modules from the contributors. We've had to look into paying extra for custom module programming to update to Drupal 8.

Reasons for choosing Drupal

The superior data management system of Drupal.

Reasons for switching to Drupal

It was becoming unwieldy to use static HTML.

Adam

Drupal is a premium enterprise solution

We have been using Drupal for over a decade and regularly check it against other products in the field. We still believe this open source project is one of the best on the planet.

Pros

Drupal provides a huge amount of power in a Content Management System. The latest version Drupal 8 is enterprise level software available as open source so while it is free to download and use, you will need a professional to get it doing everything you need. That said, with the right help - you can pretty much do anything online with Drupal. There is also an amazing community to access who will do what they can to help.

Cons

Drupal does require Drupal experts to get the most out of it - if you are new to software and software development, you would be wise to get a consultant or Drupal development company to help. This doesn't come cheap, but it does give you huge amount of power to design and develop exactly the website or software that you want.

Joomla and WordPress

Adam

The Supreme CMS

It was a difficult process to start. I came from Wordpress which was stupid simple, but once I learned Drupal and realized the power it had I was completely sold. It's great for all sizes of projects and has a great community of people using it.

Pros

Drupal's content management struct and philosophy is so robust. It can handle any kind of content, not just blog posts. The ability to model data exactly how you want it and even query and create views is unparalleled.

Cons

The learning curve on Drupal is high. The documentation is cumbersome and so it's difficult to know where to begin without help from somebody who already knows. That said, once you "get" Drupal you'll never look back

Reasons for choosing Drupal

While it might have been fun to do, it was just too much to take on when Drupal could do it out of the box.

Reasons for switching to Drupal

Wordpress was insecure and needed a lot of hacky modules and custom code to work the way I needed it to.

Patrick

The best open source CMS

Well over half of my agency's digital business id conducted through Drupal websites and applications. We have used it with great success on anything from small, basic websites to full-scale business-critical applications.

Pros

My favorite part of Drupal is that it is really built to be more of a platform than just a CMS. To see what I mean, look up e-commerce platforms on WordPress, Joomla, or basically any direct competitor. You will find many options available that do things slightly different than each other. In Drupal, there is really only one option, and a slew of submodules to build out the functionality you need. This results in a much more stable, secure, reliable and consistent platform. Second is the community. Everyone is on board with the idea of keeping it a platform and working together to make Drupal a great, modular CMS. Support, tutorials, documentation, and basic question/answers are readily available.

Cons

The upgrade paths between major versions is historically challenging. Drupal has promised to correct thing going from Drupal 8 to 9, but it is not yet available to confirm. As with any open source tool, you do have to be sure to keep up with any and all security updates to maximize security.

Reasons for switching to Drupal

Because Drupal is more of a platform that is easier for us, as developers, to build out. The community is also stellar.

Stephen

Industry: Farming

Drupal is a CMS that can do it all.

Pros

The best part about Drupal is that you can do anything and the best functionality is either in Drupal core or a free module at Drupal.org. There is a misconception that the learning curve is difficult. In comparison, achieving the basic needs of a brochure website are the same in all of the top CMS solutions. Aside from comparisons, the best tool within Drupal is Views. You can create lists and grids of data that can then be sorted, filtered, and altered in so many ways without adding any additional modules. Of course you can extend views and provide even better data lists or different view types but the ability to display and work with items that reside in the system is unlike any other system.

Cons

With so many options available to you, the learning curve comes with learning how to best use the best module for the job. There may be 5-10 modules that achieve a result, but in the end, there may only be one module that does it exactly how you want it. So the complexity is in the trial and error of having multiple options. So you may waste time working through the complexities of a module and realize that was not the main intent of the module or it doesn't quite do everything you wanted. This is worth it to me though as I will then be able to understand how different modules can be used in different ways to perform different functions.

Great software made by a great community that uses and enforces best practices

Pros

With Drupal, you can make almost anything you can imagine even (and mostly) complex sites/apps without the need for starting from scratch. This is possible because of its great (in terms of quality and size) community and contributed modules. Some features I like the most of Drupal: - Myriad of contributed modules - Security - Possibility to work with several environments and replicate a site/config/contents from code - Great documentation, repositories, issues... everything you need in one place - Backend allows managing most of the tasks using a great user interface - Multilingual - Community - Encourages and enforces best practices - Possibility to perform most actions from command line - ...

Cons

It has a steep learning curve Last 8.x version requirements are quite elevated

WordPress