What are ExpressionEngine users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using ExpressionEngine software through verified user reviews

• icon"Another great thing was the level of customization that could be done when building an ExpressionEngine site. Each website could be configured and custom-tailored to the particular client's needs."
  • icon"This made the CMS a great choice for large companies with web developers on staff."
  • icon"Built on CodeIgniter, it was relatively easy to customise with a little knowledge."
  • icon"This platform was especially difficult for marketing managers with limited HTML knowledge."

Browse all ExpressionEngine Reviews

• Have you used ExpressionEngine and would like to share your experience with others?

Robin

Industry: Publishing

Great Website Building Tool

Our website designer used this program and it's been a lifesaver for our organization. There is a learning curve, but it's easy to learn.

Pros

Functionality is great and ease of using once you learn can save a business a lot of time and frustration.

Cons

There's a learning curve, but it's a small one

A useful CMS whose best days are behind it

I have used ExpressionEngine for several sites, from basic four pagers to full ecommerce solutions. For a few years, ExpressionEngine was my "go to" CMS. However, over the years support has dried up, and it is no longer the first CMS I choose for a new project.

Pros

When I started using ExpressionEngine I liked the variety and quality of add-ons and extensions that were available. It produced clean code, and was highly extensible. Built on CodeIgniter, it was relatively easy to customise with a little knowledge.

Cons

Over time, many of the add-ons and extensions have lost developer support. Many key development teams have left the platform. As such, it is harder to create sites that fulfil the requirements of clients.

Reasons for choosing ExpressionEngine

Quality of code.

Alyse

Good Foundation for Heavily Content Managed Apps, A Bit Dated

It was good for a period of time, but now we are transitioning to Craft.

Pros

The platform was robust and allowed us to create a complex event management platform layered on top of Expression Engine. We were able to do most of the things we wanted and it served its purpose.

Cons

Popularity seems to be waning as more companies are shifting to Craft, which has a simpler interface and we find is easier to use.

A great and flexible CMS

I was in love with ExpressionEngine and used it for almost all my project (big and small) for 4 years or so. If you have a big project it can handle it like a charm!

Pros

ExpressionEngine was one of the first CMS to support extensively custom fields. Via its plugin architecture it was possible to shape content to fit your needs. Moreover its template system was great and HTML free (meaning that you were in full control of the code). ExpressionEngine was a pricy CMS since two years ago when it eventually turned OpenSource, which is a great news.

Cons

The great template engine was not supported in the forum and member section of the site, so code this sections was a real pain...

Stephen

Very flexible and dynamic CMS

It's a great CMS and I wouldn't hesitate to build any site or process on top of it.

Pros

It's feature complete and extendable, UI isn't just an afterthought

Cons

Wordpress gets more plugins and more attention in general, so EE has smaller dev base

Melissa

No restrictions on what you can build

It's hard to start with what's the best thing about ExpressionEngine (EE). Member management is definitely at the top, but the biggest thing for us is the ability to build whatever you want to build. EE is a blank slate and you decide what you want to build and how. That's great for developers that know the software. It can be intimidating for those that don't and are more use to a "plug and play" CMS. We've used EE on over 500 sites, from simple blogs, brochure sites, college websites to e-commerce sites to robust custom infrastructures. It never fails and the support is amazing.

Pros

that we can build whatever we want with it and there are a ton of premium addons that build on to the core functionality

Cons

upgrading can be a challenge since sites are so uniquely built

Vicki

Easy Website Management

Because we have a web designer who is extremely familiar with this product, when we have issues, we reach out to him, but for the easier edits, we can do them ourselves without much of a problem.

Pros

This product is helpful when we want to update and/or change our website. It behaves much like other website design programs.

Cons

It's not as easy to learn the system and int's not as intuitive as we would like.

Erik

Great for Large Companies with Devs on Staff, Terrible for Smaller Companies

Are used to work for a company that specializes in ExpressionEngine installations in the heyday of EE2. The move from EE3 was messy and caused a lot of problems. Experience I have now with ExpressionEngine is helping client migrate their sites away and into more modern and well supported CMS platforms.

Pros

From my personal experience, one of the best things about ExpressionEngine was EllisLabs and their customer support. A lot has changed after Ellis Labs was acquired and then ExpressionEngine was sold off 2-3 years ago. Development seems to proceeding smoother under the new ownership. Another great thing was the level of customization that could be done when building an ExpressionEngine site. Each website could be configured and custom-tailored to the particular client's needs. This made the CMS a great choice for large companies with web developers on staff.

Cons

It has a really difficult learning curve in my opinion. It can be overcome but website clients have a hard time with using it and maintaining the site without an in-house web developer. This platform was especially difficult for marketing managers with limited HTML knowledge. Overall, the small marketshare size, the lack of third party developer support, and the highly customizable nature of the initial installation all contribute to a high cost to produce and maintain an ExpressionEngine site. Unless you can afford an in-house web developer that is absolutely in love with ExpressionEngine, it's a terrible platform to choose.

Easy Admin of Users and Content Updating

Expression Engine makes it easy to train someone new or entry-level on administrating site content blocks as long as it's all set up properly for them.

Pros

I appreciate the ease of updating content. The channels and entries are easy to navigate and the tabs to easily check categories and other options such as post time and expiration time are most helpful. You can schedule content to post and also schedule when it comes down, so you don't have to do everything in real time.

Cons

I wish there were easier previews of the changes being made or a content editor that showed the page layout while you were editing. There just isn't an easy way to preview how the changes will appear on the actual page.

Great for quick website edits

Pros

It is easy to navigate to the page you would like to edit, and is overall a very user-friendly platform.

Cons

I don't have experience actually building any of the pages, just editing/updating, so I can't speak to how simple it is to set up.

Martin

Industry: Law Practice

Similar in function and quality to Wordpress

Pros

I had previous experience with Wordpress which helped a lot to get used to ExpressionEngine quickly. It has a similar interface. Publishing is instantaneous and easy to go back and fix if you made mistakes. I worked on a calendar at work and it kept it very neat and orderly. Ultimately very happy with it.

Cons

I know it had plenty of other functions that at other departments used it for (who were more focused on story publication), so I guess my biggest complaint is that I didn't how to use them more.

P.J.

Industry: Writing and Editing

20/20 about ExpressionEngine in 2020

Overall, my experience was pretty basic. I used the software to edit and fact-check reviews for the PopMatters site. I had little-to-no training and found it fairly straight-forward. Wouldn't object to using it again.

Pros

I liked how organized the site was and straight-forward it was.

Cons

It had lots of minutiae. However, for what I was doing, it was fine and easy to use.

ExpressionEngine