• Pros

• "It does everything for you; doesn't change with updates - stays nice and remains consistently productive."

• "as above - easy to use and reliable. it is always current and is specific to our needs regarding trust administration"

• "It is extremely flexible and can help you craft just about any document that you want. I prefer the desktop version to the cloud version. It just works every time!"

• Cons

• "It is difficult to understand, difficult to set up, and difficult to work with. I have read the instruction manual, taken the the three day course, and am still having problems with setting it up."

• "Software coding functionality within the word documents can be cumbersome to implement. It can be hard to go down certain logic paths without a lot of workaround."

• "Takes time to create templates Must have extensive knowledge of word Take time to learn how to use the software"

Browse HotDocs Reviews

Gordon from Monroe, Wallace & Morden, P.A.

Outstanding document production, fair UI

Document automation saves time and reduces errors. I've found HotDocs to be extremely reliable, stable, and bug-free.

Pros

This product's integration with Microsoft Word is outstanding. It is a fantastic scripting tool for document generation. I've also prepared some documents in WordPerfect and it seems entirely capable with that as well.

Cons

Hands down, the data entry interview is crude at best. It is probably ok for a developer who has never worked with another UI, but the "automation" it provides comes at a steep price - loss of control. If you want truly professional user interfaces, you'll have to write the front-end in some other language, write an "answer file" HotDocs can understand (which is not hard, it is very basic XML) and then let HotDocs work its magic to assemble the language in Word. When used that way, HotDocs is very powerful and flexible. When used in its native UI, it is fairly inflexible.

Gene from LawHawk Limited

The obvious choice for professional users

While we use HotDocs ourselves, and have since 2012, our main use of HotDocs is now on behalf of our customers, who are mainly lawyers (in firms or in-house legal teams). As noted above, we find it is an extremely powerful document automation tool, which can be used on almost any forms of document. We've had good support from our key contacts at HotDocs, and after 4 years with LawHawk (and having recently upgraded to the new HotDocs Author/Advance product range) I remain very happy with the solution. The overall time savings (75%+) and quality improvements that you can expect to get every time are substantial, and one of our customers won a 2019 IACCM Asia Pacific Award for Operational Improvement as a result of their HotDocs automation project. Because it is a very established product, with a lot of written guidance and a large user community, it's very easy to work out in advance what can be done and how best to do it.

Pros

I think HotDocs is THE choice to use when you need to prepare more complex legal documents, particularly in packages. We are lawyers who specialise in automating documents for other law firms in areas like loan and security documents, share sale agreements, and complex wills and estates. We really haven't found anything we can't do with HotDocs, but we know that most (if not all) of the other document automation tools we've looked at, and sometimes use for simpler work, couldn't do the job at the high end. While a lot of focus is on the actual document creation aspect, we also really like the ability to build organisational compliance and training into the interview questionnaires.

Cons

The biggest issue with HotDocs is the annual per user licensing model, which restricts the ability to use HotDocs in situations where you have a lot of POTENTIAL users, who may only need to use it occasionally. It also stops people from starting to use it when they don't know how large the benefits will be. I would love to see a more flexible licensing model that allowed people to get started using HotDocs, because they would love it, and would quickly see many more uses. With a more scalable licensing model, I think millions more people would use it. The ability to collaborate with others (e.g. via client interviews) would be a great help. I'd also like to see more easy - out of the box - integration with other systems, particularly Office 365.

Reasons for Choosing HotDocs

I've been involved in document automation projects as a lawyer since 2000, most of them going nowhere because we were trying to automate without a specialist document automation software. What we learned - the hard way - is that the additional costs of HotDocs are minor compared to the substantial costs (mostly in lost time or having the effectiveness of a key business process limited bythe capability of the technology) trying to automate with a weaker solution. Applied to the right documents the ROI is substantial, and for lawyers or other document creators that need to be able to operate at a level of complexity, you need a tool that can scale up to that level which a lot of the simpler tools can't do.

Audra from Wickens Herzer Panza

Time to move on

Pros

The product takes substantial time to learn, but is robust and can be extremely helpful if you are willing to devote the time on the front end to save time on the back end.

Cons

We have been with HotDocs forever and likely would have continued; however, since they were acquired by AccessData they have switched to a new pricing model requiring a perpetual monthly cost per user that will dramatically increase our cost for this product. We are currently exploring alternatives. I do not yet have pricing or sufficient information to know if any of these will be less expensive and work for us, but we are looking at Contract Express, XpressDox, and Exari. I am online today performing research for other viable competitors.

Jason from Law Offices Of Jason F. Barnes, P.C.

TOO PRICEY -- In my opinion HotDocs priced themselves right out of the market

Love it, but not for the price they want you to pay. I have been using Hotdocs since around the mid-nineties and have seen the company change hands. The current "custodians" of Hotdocs have unfortunately missed the boat on pricing.

Pros

I can easily sell this program to anyone, and have in fact have turned several attorneys on to this program. It's a great way to automate your documents. It's logical. Is it complex? Sure it can be, but that gives the user a lot of options and makes it a powerful tool.

Cons

Cost prohibitive. For some reason HotDocs has elected to increase the price of HotDocs well beyond what they charged. From my understanding they want to have you pay a MONTHLY FEE where they used to just charge you a one time fee for the program. The price is too high for solo attorneys and small law firms. Bottom-line: Until Hotdocs can figure things out on the pricing, do not start using Hotdocs; there are other ways to get the same job done for cheaper, A LOT CHEAPER!

Jonathan from Nazette, Marner, Nathanson & Shea, LLP

Great software, but still needs to improve

It's really the best software out there for what it does. It just still seems behind the times in terms of connectivity, componentization, and still no HiDPI support.

Pros

Cons

I feel that HotDocs has been stagnating recently. Here are some things that they need to address: *Easy import/export of answer data to other formats. For example, if I use some other tool such as an online form, it should have the ability to import that data into an answer file. *It still doesn't support Hi-DPI displays. *It would be great it if could be more flexible in the storage of answer data. The ability to componentize the fields/answer data would be wonderful. As it stands, each template is limited to only one component file.

Overall, it's a helpful tool for drafting my documents.

Ease in drafting documents... biggest value for me. A lot of my practice is tailoring forms to my clients needs and wishes, and having the basic form available in HotDocs is a big help.

Pros

I enjoy being able to address both areas of my legal practice in the same program. I do not need to switch if I am creating for my client both estate planning documents and business transaction documents.

Cons

Most challenging is learning how to create new Hot Doc templates. Maybe I'm too busy in my legal practice, but I do not have time to devote to learning the ins and outs, and therefore am forced to pay an admin person to create any new forms I'd like. If it were more user intuitive, I know I would have MANY more documents created under the software and get even more productivity out of the program.

Jennifer from Gilk Legacy Law

Industry: Law Practice

Streamlines your life, but expensive

I use HotDocs while using my Trust Funding software.

Pros

I love how HotDocs streamlines the drafting of frequently used documents, such as Health Care Directives and Powers of Attorney. You can enter info through a template, hit a button and viola, you are ready to go.

Cons

It has an expensive user license fee. It can be cumbersome to get started and require additional tech assistance.

Response from AbacusNext

Replied December 2019

Thank you for your review, Jennifer! HotDocs was designed to make drafting documents extremely efficient, and we're happy to hear it's hitting the mark for you. We're glad you mentioned the learning curve. We highly recommend our customers factor in adequate time for setup to get the most out of their investments, and take advantage of our knowledge base and support team. Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can still be of assistance. All the best, The team at AbacusNext

HotDocs is very easy to use and super affordable.

saving time and money

Pros

The software is very user friendly and easy to figure out. I definitely do not have a developer background, but have been able to teach myself how to architect documents in HotDocs. It was almost impossible to figure out how to architect documents in our previous software without support from our IT department.

Cons

The user interface could use an update... it often feels as though we are using old technology.

David from Obolus, LLC

Good functionality, and once implemented, easy to use

Pros

Allows a certain amount of flexibility with master documents while having a fairly low learning curve on the user side.

Jason from Aging Options

A great idea and certainly something that a company could deliver a quality product.

Pros

- It is powerful and can do a lot. - It allows us to have a robust interview that generates templated documents - The software generally works, though it has some shortcomings which are not easily solved.

Cons

- The company is about one thing: how much money can they get out of your firm. I received 4 sales calls in one week to get us to upgrade or change or whatever. They call other people in my firm who then refer the calls to me. If they redirected some of their sales staff to make the product better, it would be better for everyone! - It lacks a robust network of developers that work with it. We struggled to find qualified providers that could help us develop interviews and templates. - It has a dizzying array of different product editions, two different SAAS products, a desktop product which comes in different versions.

Great software, but beware of new owner's year-to-year subscription pricing.

Pros

I've used HotDocs in my law practice for more than 10 years. Love it. Very powerful. The more time you invest using it, the more you'll appreciate its many features and the better your templates will become.

Cons

My only warning concerns the new year-to-year subscription pricing requirement. How does that make sense for this kind of software? The software becomes helpful only after you make your own serious upfront investment of time to build HotDocs "templates". Without that investment, HotDocs will do nothing for you. Don't make such an investment without considering that, in future years, you'll have no guarantee that you'll be able to renew your HotDocs substription on a basis that makes sense. And without yearly renewals, you'll forfeit your own upfront investment of time in templates. But for the pricing scheme adopted by HotDoc's new owner, AbacusNext, I'd give HotDocs an overall rating of 5 out of 5. However, as it stands now, I suggest you look at other software. Perhaps XpressDox. Or, for less ambitious automation projects, consider TheFormTool or Pathagorus.

Kristy from Polsinelli PC

HotDocs Developer 11 - Ease of Use

I have been working in HotDocs for the past 11 years, as a user and a coder. To be able to use this program to assemble our documents saves an incredible amount of time. I have had to enter in repetitive information on a set of 25 documents many times over the years, but being able to use HotDocs has been a great improvement and a fantastic time saver. Over the years, I have been able to increase the amount of client documents used through HotDocs and gained the interest of several other departments.

Pros

Our firm works on a vast amount of forms that are specific to our individual clients needs - these are not fill-in forms, but documents ranging from 1 single page to 100+ pages. We use a sometimes complicated Answer File whereby HotDocs lets us quickly assemble a single document or multiple documents - I sometimes do 20 or more documents at a time. The amount of time that is saved being able to use HotDocs for this document assembly process is phenomenal.

Cons

If the answer to a variable is not readily available some end-users would like there to be a prompt on the draft document indicating what fields/questions have been left blank. For the person filling in the answer file those unanswered questions are known at the end of the answer file, but after assembly these documents are passed on for further editing and review and a reminder of what information was not available at the time of assembly would be helpful.

Lois from HOGE PARTNERS, PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

Practicing Family Law with HotDocs makes a world of difference.

Creating motions, petitions, orders, briefs, and so much more is easy with HotDocs. It would be difficult for us to practice Family Law without it!

Pros

We've been using HotDocs for almost 15 years. We have an enormous amount of time invested in the creation and updating of hundreds of HotDocs templates that help us create a huge variety of critical documents. The product is extremely powerful and flexible.

Cons

The least likable factor about HotDocs is that it has become so expensive over the years.The basic program hasn't changed a lot since then but the cost has become exorbitant. We've been through several changes of HotDocs ownership over the years and the one thing I can count on is that the cost will go up every time. I think you could sell a lot more firms on this product if using it weren't so expensive.

Mark from Kegler, Brown, Hill & Ritter Co., L.P.A.

HotDocs is easily one of my top 10 successes in 25 years of working in legal I.T.

Great efficiency.

Pros

HotDocs saves us a lot of time drafting complex documents. The software is well-written, and reliable. It is highly cost-effective.

Cons

HotDocs requires a time investment on the front end, wherein the document construction process must be formally defined and articulated. (To be sure, this task would be common to any effort or tool to automate the construction of complex documents.) HotDocs also requires a fair amount of care and feeding, but not so much because the product requires it but rather because of the base documents and the process change. I recommend that any customer find a HotDocs partner that can assist with building and maintaining the workflows, and base documents.

Michael from Baugher Law Firm PLLC

Best Product for Document Automation

The quintessential software for document automation. One of the best software (if not the best) for this purpose. It can take some time to learn all the available features to use in document creation but once start to understand the basics then you can start to unlock the true potential for this software. Very robust and the possibilities are endless. Generating documents and pleadings now take a fraction of the time they normally would using any other software. I highly recommend this product.

Pros

Huge time saver Generate documents in fractions of the time

Jeffrey from Barnes Walker, Goethe, Hoonhout, Perron & Shea, PLLC

Very dissatisfied.

Due to the pricing changes, I am left with the decision to abandon hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of my time because the new owners have priced me out of the continued use of software I have already paid for.

Pros

I used this software for years and put a lot of time and effort into the program. There were no subscriptions. You paid for the software and it was yours. I did pay for an upgrade to HotDocs 11.

Cons

Now that the company's pricing has changed, I was told that I would have to purchase a new monthly, per user subscription to re-install what I already paid for onto a new computer that replaced my old one.

Bruce from L. Bruce Swiren, P.A.

Industry: Law Practice

HotDocs is a real time saver and very easy to use.

There is a large cost and time savings to my firm. Documents which used to take hours to produce are now done in minutes.

Pros

You just answer the questions presented on the document automation screen and your document is generated for you. Little training is required and the process of preparing pleadings greatly enhanced saving time and expense.

Cons

Programming new templates and questions for presentation can be complex and time consuming. Designing the required questions in order to solicit the right responses in the correct order to produce the desired result can require multiple design refinements.

christine from Nirenstein, Horowitz & Associates

Industry: Law Practice

it meets our needs, is updated frequently and easy to use

accuracy and uniformity in preparing documents

Pros

Cons

I wish the answer files could be networked so everyone could have access. I also don't like the storage on the local drive. if a user forgets to back up to the server we can lose information and have no record

Bradley from Anchorage Estate Planning and Probate Services, LLC

Great software for automation.

Pros

It makes very complex form automation possible. The price of a developer license is very reasonable compared to the hours saved by using automated forms.

Cons

It needs an update for hi-res screen use. Better (or at least easier) interaction with MS OneDrive would be useful.

Susana from CSJ

Love it!

Pros

It's so amazing to use. The assembling of documents is so smooth there is hardly no chance to make a mistake when filling it out. It can be customized to each company's need. Data entry is very easy.

Cons

No issues until now. Very reliable and it reduces so many weeks. Feel comfortable using it. Very nice software.

Frank from GSNT

Ease of use

Works with our Cal Wills and Trusts program wonderfully!

Pros

Very reliable and compatible with our needs

Cons

Cannot say, we have had no issues. The install was great

Dawn from Compass Law Firm, PA

Easy to intergrate with other programs

Pros

Ease of use with other programs, customer service is very responsive, and documents look professional and clean.

Leslie from Doroshow, Pasquale

Have been a long time HUGE fan of HotDocs.

Pros

Kenneth from Kenneth C. Henry, Jr., P.C.

A very positive experience. Excellent documents

Convenience and ease of producing documents

Pros

It if very comprehensive-regarding surrogates courts and real estate documents. The tax forms are wonderful and helpful . The tax forms are up to date. The tech support is best of any software I have ever used.

Cons

Especially in the real estate have to enter the same information too many times. The forms must have been developed over time and to make them backward compatible the software makes you re enter data.

David from Hoogendoorn and Talbot LLP

Industry: Law Practice

Great software for any document assembly needs

We are drafting legal documents with complex interviews in minutes, saving hours of drafting every day.

Pros

Very flexable, no matter how complex the document is you can build the template in hotdocs. The interview is also great, being able to control what the user sees depending on inputs makes the program very easy to use for the end user. Also, the help page is incredibly helpful, I hope people are using it because it is nothing like the usual help page programs have.

Cons

Rather steep learning curve. Took me a couple of weeks to get the hang of it, and the built in functions are hard to find without the help feature. Once you have them memorized its great though. I imagine it will take me a few more months to master the program.

June 2016

James from Medical Models Direct

June 2016

Great time saver

We have to produce a large number of purchase agreements and contracts. Many hours were spent creating then proof reading these documents. We purchased Hotdocs and the difference in time spent on producing documents is amazing.

Pros

Once we created our templates every document we produce is 100% accurate. The whole process is a lot quicker now as well.

Cons

It can be tricky to get the hang of.

Steve from Longsworth Law LLC

Industry: Law Practice

HotDocs has allowed our firm to be more productive.

Pros

After the initial setup of our templates, we have found that the accuracy of the draft documents are better and review process takes far less time.

Cons

While I understand that it may be hard to be fully compatible with every client management software it would be beneficial to allow for the client/contact information to be able to be at the very least imported and exported via .csv file. We currently use Clio for our client management software and it would be great if HotDocs would integrate with Clio.

Neal from Neal Nusholtz, PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

I enjoy using hotdocs, wish i knew more.

Saves time.

Pros

I like it because it speeds up my work. I can automate documents and I enjoy making the templates.

Cons

I don't always know what I am doing and can't get it to do what I want. Also, there are software glitches that might come from linking it to time matters.

I use it with Wealth Counsel and it works seemlessly

Pros

I love the integration with Wealth Counsel and the customization that it allows with the word documents I produce for estate plans.

Cons

Navigating the menus can be difficult. However, I use them so infrequently that this may just be a function of my lack of use.

William from Smallwood Legal

Easy.

Pros

Ease of use, quickness to end product. Amount of work that can be done with one set of data entry.

Cons

Lack of customization.

Doug from Legacy Legal, LLC

Integrated my existing forms into HotDocs

Pros

Once it's set up, it is SO easy to create work product. Moreover, once you learn how to use the tools, they are easy to use.

Cons

Takes quite a bit of time to learn how to use the tools. While it doesn't take a computer science background, that type of background would probably be helpful.

Jeffrey from Attorney at Law

I have found HotDocs to be incredibly difficult to understand and work with.

Pros

The concept is great, but the implementation is poor; the videos are not much help. I have not found customer service to be of great assistance.

Cons

Response from HotDocs

Replied June 2018

Dear Jeffrey, It would be good if we could discuss your particular situation to help us better understand what you are trying to achieve with your templates. We have some video resources available in HotDocs Academy. Are those the videos you are referring to? Please contact us at 800-828-8328 or contact your sales representative so that we can provide you with the help you need.

Holly from Simpson Law Firm, LLC

time saving

A lot of time saved in entering client data over and over. Easier to proof read my docs.

Pros

Time saving, carries client info. into all docs, able to mirror husband and wife documents for wills, etc.

Cons

Sometimes takes too long to assemble doc., it may be possible, but I would like to know how to customize a template for docs I use frequently.

Daniel from Selzer Gurvitch Attorneys at Law

Fairly easy to use, complicated to set up initially.

Pros

It allows us to use outher software to seamlessly create document forms which enables us to work more efficiently and much more quickly.

Cons

Time consuming to set up during initial set up and there is a learning curve for new users. There are many things that could be done to simplify the setup and learning process.

MARK from SIPPEL LAW FIRM PLLC

FRUSTRATED! ANGRY! IT HAS AN UNBELIEVABLE LEARNING CURVE

it will work with Eldercounsel as the front end. When I can get it to work, it does a nice document I cannot get word to change easily.

Pros

There is little to like -- when it works, it does allow the document to be created and then you can edit in Word --

Cons

it forces a new mentality that is different from every other merge program and forces too much data entry that is restricted and secretive and non user friendly. It won't work with Word Perfect. If you don't use it daily, you have to retrain yourself. I get inscrutable update messages and am fearful ty try.

Response from HotDocs

Replied July 2018

We are sorry to hear you are having difficulties. In order to assist you we need to determine if you are using HotDocs via its integration with ElderCounsel, or if you own HotDocs Developer and are designing and building templates using your own content. For HotDocs Developer support, please call 800-828-8328. For ElderCounsel support, please call 888-789-9908.

Lindsey from Bricker & Eckler LLP

HotDocs - just okay

I simply use this product, I have never needed to contact the HotDocs team for assistance (our IT department works with them).

Pros

It's great that we can keep all of our companies needed documents on one software that is accessible to everyone at our Firm.

Cons

It's just not very comprehensive. It's a clunky software, and I think there are probably may software companies out there that have a similar product. Nothing is that special or outstanding about this one!

Kandice from Bradley & Riley PC

Can be challenging

We've used Hotdocs for over 10 years. It's a great program to develop forms and templates such as letterhead. The end users love it as it's a simple series of clicks and the custom form/template is completed. It is a challenge though for developing those forms/templates as it is similar to coding at times. I'm not an IT person but I've learned how to make changes to forms/templates but I've never started one from scratch.

Denise from Jackson Kelly PLLC

We use HotDocs to create templates for our estate planning group of attorneys/staff.

Pros

I like the fact that it is relatively easy to use from a developer standpoint, but even easier to use from a user standpoint.

Ben from Barkow Law Company, PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

I think there is potential here that I just can't figure out how to unlock.

Drafting time, although I need to learn more to capitalize on it.

Pros

HotDocs allows me to draft without worrying about any confidential information being left in the documents.

Cons

The HotDocs academy is hard to navigate. There is nothing about the software that seems intuitive even though I am a moderately accomplished user of Word. I feel like I need to spend thousands of dollars in training just to get value out of this software.

simple and fast

Pros

I used HotDocs to compile some files, very simple and easy to use, the interface is intuitive. It doesn't need a lot of work, it gives you your documents straightforward.

Cons

Worked for me like a charm, so I don't have any con to share, but depending on your use case and your specific need you may find them, the best way is to try it and evaluate.

Tiffany from FR&S PLLC

Simple & Easy to Use!

I used this program to compile legal probate documents and it was a great tool! Very simple and user-friendly program! Just plug in the info you have and your document is ready for you! Great for simple, straightforward documents you need in a hurry.

Julie from Garan Lucow Miller, P.C.

Too complicated - gave up.

Pros

It's possible to create very detailed, complicated forms that would really save time if used by the entire firm.

Cons

It was too complex for our needs. We don't use enough standardized forms, and to set up an entire template for each document and attorney is too time-consuming. The software is also pretty expensive.

Penelope from DuPlain Law

I've used hotdocs to transform legal documents into templates used by our firm.

Pros

I like the software's capabilities. That it is based in BOOLEAN phrases, which are relatively easy to work with.

Cons

At times, figuring out how to get the software to perform as I want is a bit burdensome. But I use the HotDocs forums as a massive resource, and often find my answers there.

Brett from Legalzoom

UI Holds it back

Disclaimer: I am not the purchaser and have not interacted with customer support personally. I am simply an end user. I have been using this software for a couple of years now. If there were more flexibility with the end user to be able to manipulate the field questions and links, it'd be a fantastic product. The need to switch between multiple applications keeps the maintenance end of it more siloed here, preventing those who are actually using it from understanding how it works and ways to improve it.

Eric from Eric W Eifrig LLC

Monthly subscription model is a trap

Pros

Any positives are overshadowed by the new owners’ fixation for signing up new customers at any price. See comment below

Cons

Beware of entanglement with the new owners of this software. They will suck you into a monthly subscription scheme which is virtually impossible to cancel.