Joomla

Joomla Reviews

RATING:

4.14

(535)

User Review Highlights

Overall Rating

4.14

Ratings Breakdown

Secondary Ratings

Ease-of-use

3.5

Customer Support

4

Value for money

4.5

Functionality

4

  • icon"Joomla CMS is easy to install and maintain. It is best suited for websites that need articles under multiple hierarchies of categories."
  • icon"Joomla is a stable and a good CMS platform for running a website. Joomla provides lot of customization, templates and etc. to make your website perfect."
  • icon"We have used Joomla! for the websites of our projects. The result looks good with great templates."
  • icon"I dislike that the WISYWIG isn't true. I dislike it is difficult to change fonts and have them hold as designated."
  • icon"Moreover, it has also a problem with installing."
  • icon"Some common software integrations can be difficult to find."

Browse all Joomla Reviews

  • Have you used Joomla and would like to share your experience with others?
  • Write a Review

Apply Filters:

User Industry

Company Size

Time Used

User Rating

Showing 1 - 25 of 519 reviews

Paul

Company size: 1 employee

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This reviewer was invited by us to submit an honest review and offered a nominal incentive as a thank you.

October 2021

Too much for our needs

User Profile

Steven

Verified reviewer

Company size: 11-50 employees

Industry: Information Technology and Services

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This reviewer was invited by us to submit an honest review and offered a nominal incentive as a thank you.

EASE OF USE

4

VALUE FOR MONEY

5

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

4

FUNCTIONALITY

5

September 2022

An excellent content management system

I admire Joomla. It is my 2nd choice behind WordPress.

Pros

Joomla has a more formal system-like feel to the CMS than WordPress. IT system admins will enjoy it.

Cons

Adding content widgets to pages is a bit complicated.

Paolo

Company size: 11-50 employees

Industry: Information Technology and Services

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This review was submitted organically. No incentive was offered

EASE OF USE

4

VALUE FOR MONEY

5

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

3

FUNCTIONALITY

5

November 2022

Joomla, cms che mette tutti nelle condizioni di creare

Ho realizzato progetti semplici e molto complessi, sono pienamente soddisfatto. Il core è sviluppato bene e lascia il programmatore libero di esprimersi.

Pros

Ottimo per la creazione di siti web, per la gestione dei dati (diversi moduli gratuiti), per la gestione dei progetti un po' meno ma è comunque possibile...è possibile integrare qualsiasi modulo esterno (i plugin sono infiniti)

Cons

Un utente poco competente potrebbe avere difficoltà nella configurazione e gestione anche del sito web base (forse wordpress o siti com wiz sono più semplici); per utenti di medio livello credo sia il massimo. Lo uso ormai da tantissimi anni

Reasons for choosing Joomla

Perchè ha una comunità di programmatori più grande ed è più professionale. Diverse persone mie conoscenti, all'inizio, potevano aiutarmi a capire le dinamiche di programmazione di moduli/componenti.

Reasons for switching to Joomla

Perchè ha una comunità di programmatori più grande ed è più professionale.

María

Verified reviewer

Company size: 11-50 employees

Industry: E-Learning

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This review was submitted organically. No incentive was offered

EASE OF USE

2

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

3

FUNCTIONALITY

3

October 2022

Más complicado que otros

Prefiero trabajar con wordpress porque me parece más coherente en su estructura y tiene muchísimas más posibilidades gracias a la multitud de plugins gratuitos que tiene. Trabajar con joomla me da mucha pereza y poco a poco voy trabajando para sustituir todas las webs que tengo en joomla por wordpress.

Pros

Al estar construido por módulos la verdad es que es muy versátil en cuanto a diseño, lo que hace que las webs creadas sean más originales.

Cons

Su estructura me resulta bastante liosa comparada con otros gestores de contenido y eso hace que se vuelva un poco tedioso trabajar en un equipo multidisciplinar. Muchos de los plugins son de pago y encima a veces ni siquiera tienen buena calidad y pagas por poca funcionalidad.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

Porque no conocía wordpress

Reasons for switching to Joomla

Porque necesitaba crear una web de contenido, no una tienda online.

José Miguel

Company size: 2-10 employees

Industry: Information Technology and Services

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This reviewer was invited by us to submit an honest review and offered a nominal incentive as a thank you.

EASE OF USE

4

VALUE FOR MONEY

5

FUNCTIONALITY

5

September 2022

A classic and still alive CMS

Joomla is an excellent solution for any small or big business that needs a dynamic and scalable website. In my case, I don`t use Joomla when I need e-commerce, but that doesn't mean you can`t have a Joomla e-commerce, is just my personal preference. If you are looking for an easy-to-install and manage CMS, just give Joomla a try; you will surely use it in more than one project when you start with the learning curve. Like all the CMS, if you want something simple, is almost an out-of-the-box solution, but you will need to advance some more knowledge to use Joomla successfully.

Pros

Joomla is one of my two favorites CMS. It`s an easy-to-use content management solution for any size of business.It is a robust solution for any business that needs a scalable solution even if they are thinking on e-commerce. One of the pros of Joomla is its big community; anyone can learn and create a solution adapted for their business by looking in the big sea of free material you can find on the internet.

Cons

Like any other popular CMS, security is a big problem. You will have many attempts of brute attacks and use of the known vulnerabilities (is open source). Of course, this problem can be handled using one or more of the many components you can find for free or purchased in their extensive extensions library.

Antonio

Company size: 2-10 employees

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Time used: Less than 12 months

Review Source: Capterra

This reviewer was invited by us to submit an honest review and offered a nominal incentive as a thank you.

EASE OF USE

4

FUNCTIONALITY

5

September 2022

Ottimo CMS

Pros

Piattaforma Cms funzionale e di semplice utilizzo. Senza la conoscenza di linguaggi di programmazione si gestiscono le pagine web con relativa facilità e sopratutto rapidità.

Cons

Il costo dei plugin in certi casi è eccessivo, sopratutto per alcuni dove la qualità si rivela poi scarsa.

User Profile

Gianfranco

Verified reviewer

Company size: 2-10 employees

Industry: Computer Software

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This review was submitted organically. No incentive was offered

EASE OF USE

4

VALUE FOR MONEY

4

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

4

FUNCTIONALITY

4

October 2022

Wonderfull Cms

Pros

It is a very agile website creation and content management platform with various opportunities. There are thousands of modules and plugins to customize your site to the maximum.

Cons

The platform is really well done. In some ways the cost of the individual plugins is excessive and not up to the situation.

Phil

Company size: 2-10 employees

Industry: Information Technology and Services

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This reviewer was invited by us to submit an honest review and offered a nominal incentive as a thank you.

EASE OF USE

4

VALUE FOR MONEY

5

FUNCTIONALITY

4

July 2021

Joomla my favourite CMS to use

Overall I love Joomla, been using it for over 10 years I think it version 1.3 or 1.4 I started off with back then and stuck with it all the way through as other CMS systems just didn't seem as user friendly when I tried them. I can create nice websites that do what I need, just wish there was more help on making them great in the eyes of Google to pass the page speed and core web vitals tests etc

Pros

It has to be that it works logically and makes sense, if there is a problem you can usually work out what has caused it and fixed it without much of a problem. If you do get stuck then there are usually places where you can find answers to your problems online

Cons

When coming to technical SEO issues for things like increasing page speed, removing unused Java script & CSS etc most of the tutorials online seem to be focused more on different CMS users like WP etc, it would be great if Joomla did actually have some paid employees who could create useful guides for non coders who aren't experts that could make some walk through guides so the average user could make their own websites run like experts sites. I know Joomla is an open source software, but I wouldn't mind paying a small fee when I set up a new website to contribute to having some full time paid staff who could provide more documentation and training for Joomla, as opposed to having to paid large fees to experts as that's not really in my budget.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

I tried Wordpress and found it very frustrating and unintuitive, then Drupal I didn't actually try, read a few reviews and decided to go with Joomla. Although I did see quite a few impressive websites that had been made on Drupal. Another thing that turned me off Wordpress was that I started to notice that most of the WordPress sites I was coming across seemed to be very very similar and so didn't really think that this would help my sites to stand out. Joomla seemed to have lots of very different styles of website which made it seem a lot more flexible.

User Profile

Orlando

Verified reviewer

Company size: 1 employee

Industry: Internet

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This review was submitted organically. No incentive was offered

EASE OF USE

4

VALUE FOR MONEY

4

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

3

FUNCTIONALITY

3

October 2022

Joomla

Por lo general ha sido buena.

Pros

Fácil trabajo con Joomla es lo que mas me ha gustado asi como su buen rendimiento en reden de menor velocidad.

Cons

Si en realidad plantilas más funcionales y vistosas.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

En su momento era la mejor y la mas utilizada, ahora no tanto.

Cosimo

Company size: 501-1,000 employees

Industry: Internet

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This reviewer was invited by us to submit an honest review and offered a nominal incentive as a thank you.

EASE OF USE

4

FUNCTIONALITY

4

September 2022

Scopri Joomla 4.0

Pros

La gestione della sicurezza e dell'accesso e gestione del databae MySql

Cons

Mancano buoni temi di default e sarebbe meglio modificare alcuni plugin di base del prodotto joomla. Cosa che nella versione 4.0 sta già avvenendo

Juan Carlos

Company size: 1,001-5,000 employees

Industry: Farming

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This review was submitted organically. No incentive was offered

EASE OF USE

5

VALUE FOR MONEY

5

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

3

FUNCTIONALITY

5

October 2022

Tu sitio en pocos pasos

Bastante bueno, muy recomendada. Se puede aprovechar todas las caracteristicas que trae.

Pros

Es muy sencillo, puedes tener tu sitio en pocos minutos. El uso de plantillas facilita el desarrollo. Es muy fácil de administrar el contenido.

Cons

Se debe tener muy en cuenta las vulnerabilidades y debes tener siempre actualizada la plataforma.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

Es la mas sencilla y conocida del mercado

User Profile

Stefan

Verified reviewer

Company size: 1,001-5,000 employees

Industry: Retail

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This review was submitted organically. No incentive was offered

EASE OF USE

4

FUNCTIONALITY

3

July 2019

Joomla review

I have used Joomla to create a number of websites and Joomla made it really easy for me to do this. Instead of writing a whole website by hand I can have a working prototype that I can showcase to the customer in a matter of hours.

Pros

Joomla as a CMS has a lot of options and is very modular, for someone who has some knowledge with web development Joomla seems like the right option . Another thing that gives Joomla an edge over other content managing systems is that it has very good search engine optimization which is something very important if we rely on Google for site recommendations.

Cons

Joomla doesn't have a very wide choice of add-ons and templates, which we should consider when deciding on which CMS to use. Also for regular users Joomla is harder to use since it has a somewhat steep learning curve.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

For developing website that I personally take care of I always choose Joomla over WordPress. This is due to that Joomla has a model-view-controller workflow that software developers are accustomed to.

User Profile

Joe

Verified reviewer

Company size: 2-10 employees

Industry: Information Technology and Services

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This review was submitted organically. No incentive was offered

EASE OF USE

2

VALUE FOR MONEY

3

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

4

FUNCTIONALITY

3

October 2022

Joomla Review

At the beginning, Joomla was good for the website development side of my business. However, I had issues at times, especially the template limitations.

Pros

It allowed me in the beginning of my business to have customers customize their templates and it did not take long time to implement their websites.

Cons

We had a lot of problems using templates for Joomla, and there were times when the CMS end-user interface would stop working. It was hard to fix, and we would have to restore backups in many situations.

diego Luis

Company size: 1 employee

Industry: E-Learning

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This reviewer was invited by us to submit an honest review and offered a nominal incentive as a thank you.

EASE OF USE

5

VALUE FOR MONEY

5

FUNCTIONALITY

5

July 2022

If you want a powerful portal this is the option...

Excellent experience in my projects. The power, scalability and stability of Joomla really allowed me to create very professional portals and sites. If you have an idea in your mind of how you want your site to work, Joomla allows you to make it a reality in a very concrete way, due to the great features it has. There is also a very active community, and also a lot of documentation if you need it.

Pros

Scalability Powerful Good bookstores and active community Trajectory, prestige and reliability stable and secure Allows larger and more complex projects

Cons

It requires a certain learning curve, but it is worth it If you are not in a large-scale project, sometimes you could get a little lost among the many possibilities it offers in terms of the extensions it offers Customization can be a bit hard if you don't have experience

Reasons for choosing Joomla

Drupal had a lot of instability, little customization for people with little design knowledge, and in general I felt that I was limited when it came to creating a site or portal according to my needs. On the other hand it was unnecessarily complex in some areas of the dashboard

Reasons for switching to Joomla

I got quite frustrated doing some projects and found that I couldn't implement everything I wanted, and worse still, in some cases the site had instability and crashes with many plugins. I couldn't afford to focus or base a serious project on a platform that had these issues

Vjekoslav

Company size: 2-10 employees

Industry: Design

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This review was submitted organically. No incentive was offered

EASE OF USE

4

VALUE FOR MONEY

5

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

5

FUNCTIONALITY

5

November 2021

Still best overall CMS

I have been using Joomla since the time it was a mambo CMS. I have created a large number of websites since then and what I can say with certainty is that Joomla is still a better CMS than other opensource solutions. Joomla CMS is a great tool for creating business websites and portals with lots of articles and content. Most popular Joomla templates allow me to create module positions where I want. I can display the modules on the sub pages where I want. To create a multilingual website I don’t have to install additional extensions if I don’t want to. Thousands and thousands of great extensions, modules and templates are available to expand the capabilities of the CMS system.

Pros

I love being able to create a website without additional plug-in installations or extensions. Joomla core has built-in features and capabilities to make a simpler website. I like better visibility and management of articles and categories in administration. I like the ability to use multiple templates on one website. I like the ability to, for almost everything, make an override via the menu. And what I like most is that I have complete control over the website from start to finish.

Cons

What I don’t like the most is that the process of upgrading to a new version can be problematic for people who have no experience with Joomla. I am not thinking here of the update process but of the upgrade. Eg. from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4. But the online community is great and always helps, and there are a number of instructions so everything can be solved even if you get stuck.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

Wordpress is the most popular CMS and clients sometimes ask for a website to be created in Wordpress. Wordpress is also a good CMS, but it took me a long time to accept that I can't create a website without 10-15 extra plugins.

User Profile

Ali

Verified reviewer

Company size: 2-10 employees

Industry: Information Technology and Services

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This review was submitted organically. No incentive was offered

EASE OF USE

4

VALUE FOR MONEY

3

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

3

FUNCTIONALITY

3

February 2021

Flexible and SEO friendly Content Management System

I have been working with Joomla CMS for many years and it is one of the strongest and oldest free and open source CMS in the world and it is one of the best in terms of security, technology and simplicity and I’ve use Joomla for some website cases that have special features.

Pros

It's open source and free! It supported by volunteer community for many years and it's free forever.

Cons

Joomla template design could be more beautiful and with more features. In appearance, it has fewer molds than other competitors and should invest more in the appearance and design of the UI.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

Open-source, great extension directory, free and paid templates and modules with fair prices.

Reasons for switching to Joomla

For some websites cases and projects need to use another CMS and Joomla

User Profile

Emeka

Verified reviewer

Company size: 2-10 employees

Industry: Information Technology and Services

Time used: Less than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This reviewer was invited by us to submit an honest review and offered a nominal incentive as a thank you.

EASE OF USE

4

VALUE FOR MONEY

5

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

5

FUNCTIONALITY

5

December 2019

A Content Management System for building websites

I used Joomla to build my website. It was relatively easy to get started with. Joomla works with extensions and templates which allows them to be easily customisable. Joomla saved me the cost of having to outsource my website design to a website developer.

Pros

Joomla is a Content Management System (CMS) that can be used to build websites. The things I like about Joomla are: 1. Ability to build a website with no technical knowledge required: The first time I worked on Joomla, I didn't know how to write the programming languages on which Joomla was built, but I was still able to build a website with it using available Joomla templates and extensions. 2. Easy learning curve: I learnt everything I needed to get started with Joomla, and also built my first Joomla website in one day. There are available YouTube tutorials, and plog posts on the internet that can help one to get going with Joomla. 3. Free domain name and hosting: Joomla provides users the option of using Joomla customised domain names for their websites, and also provides them with free hosting. I leveraged Joomla's free domain name and free hosting to build my first Joomla website. 4. Easy to customise: Joomla is very easy to customise. Joomla works with templates and extensions. The templates helps someone to decide how his/her Joomla website will look like, while the extension helps someone to add some functionalities to his/her website. 5. Security: Joomla constantly updates their CMS to provide security patches, and also to keep it from the attack of viruses. This increases the level of confidence with Joomla.

Cons

Joomla is an awesome CMS, but that is not without its cons. The cons of Joomla are: 1. Despite the fact that Joomla is easy to learn, it's learning curve is more complex than that of other CMSs like WordPress, Wix, and Weebly. 2. Poor layout: For me, the outlook of a website designed with Joomla seems to be less elegant than that designed with other CMSs like WordPress and Wix. These are the two cons I can point out with Joomla.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

I chose Joomla so that I'll explore its features and see what it can help me do.

Stacy

Company size: 11-50 employees

Industry: Events Services

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This reviewer was invited by us to submit an honest review and offered a nominal incentive as a thank you.

EASE OF USE

3

VALUE FOR MONEY

4

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

3

FUNCTIONALITY

5

October 2019

A little work goes a long way!

I was a faithful user of Joomla for 8 to 10 years. I actually got very good at working within the CMS. Once you learn how it all fits together, it can be a productive CMS, but it's simply not as easy as Wordpress. Wordpress is much less complicated and can do what Joomla does.

Pros

Joomla was the very first CMS I ever used. Being open source doesn't hurt, as it's always updating and evolving. The biggest pro for this product is that you have an enormous extensions catalog, both free and paid, which means you can create a one of a kind website.

Cons

For me the same thing that makes it great, is also the same thing that makes it less great. With Joomla being updated quite often, it happens often when extensions fail to update as quickly as the CMS itself, which renders them inactive until updated. Plus, there is a learning curve to working with Joomla, and it doesn't take long to forget which extension controls what element of the site.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

I was leaving Drupal for something with more flexibility and a more robust building environment. At that time I looked on Wordpress as only a blogging platform, but since then it is now a very robust CMS too!

Reasons for switching to Joomla

Joomla had a more extensive extension catalog and there were more templates available for Joomla than Drupal.

Frederico

Company size: 2-10 employees

Industry: Design

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This reviewer was invited by us to submit an honest review and offered a nominal incentive as a thank you.

EASE OF USE

5

VALUE FOR MONEY

5

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

5

FUNCTIONALITY

5

July 2021

Want to build a website now? Use Joomla!

Jommla is a web content management system that helped me a lot in my early career as a web designer, in publishing and managing web content, mainly because I had little knowledge on the subject at the time. Used for online stores, corporate blogs, news portals, service catalogs, among other formats. It is a CMS that does not require in-depth programming knowledge. With little knowledge of HTML and CSS, a lot of cool stuff can be done. It has many plugins and components that complement and facilitate the construction of online content. I am so grateful for all he has given me.

Pros

Jommla is easy to manage content online and solves everything without programming. There are many tutorials on youtube and communities that help each other to resolve any difficulties that may arise when developing web projects.

Cons

It could have more native functions. There are endless possibilities, but they have to be added through components, modules and plugins.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

I chose joomla for its ease of use and for not needing programming knowledge. In addition there are many tutorials on youtube where other users teach you how to use and configure very easily.

User Profile

Sergey

Verified reviewer

Company size: 1,001-5,000 employees

Industry: Hospitality

Time used: More than 2 years

Review Source: Capterra

This review was submitted organically. No incentive was offered

EASE OF USE

5

VALUE FOR MONEY