What are Joomla users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Joomla software through verified user reviews

• icon"Joomla CMS is easy to install and maintain. It is best suited for websites that need articles under multiple hierarchies of categories."
  • icon"Joomla is a stable and a good CMS platform for running a website. Joomla provides lot of customization, templates and etc. to make your website perfect."
  • icon"We have used Joomla! for the websites of our projects. The result looks good with great templates."
  • icon"I dislike that the WISYWIG isn't true. I dislike it is difficult to change fonts and have them hold as designated."
  • icon"Moreover, it has also a problem with installing."
  • icon"Some common software integrations can be difficult to find."

Browse all Joomla Reviews

• Have you used Joomla and would like to share your experience with others?

Emeka

A Content Management System for building websites

I used Joomla to build my website. It was relatively easy to get started with. Joomla works with extensions and templates which allows them to be easily customisable. Joomla saved me the cost of having to outsource my website design to a website developer.

Pros

Joomla is a Content Management System (CMS) that can be used to build websites. The things I like about Joomla are: 1. Ability to build a website with no technical knowledge required: The first time I worked on Joomla, I didn't know how to write the programming languages on which Joomla was built, but I was still able to build a website with it using available Joomla templates and extensions. 2. Easy learning curve: I learnt everything I needed to get started with Joomla, and also built my first Joomla website in one day. There are available YouTube tutorials, and plog posts on the internet that can help one to get going with Joomla. 3. Free domain name and hosting: Joomla provides users the option of using Joomla customised domain names for their websites, and also provides them with free hosting. I leveraged Joomla's free domain name and free hosting to build my first Joomla website. 4. Easy to customise: Joomla is very easy to customise. Joomla works with templates and extensions. The templates helps someone to decide how his/her Joomla website will look like, while the extension helps someone to add some functionalities to his/her website. 5. Security: Joomla constantly updates their CMS to provide security patches, and also to keep it from the attack of viruses. This increases the level of confidence with Joomla.

Cons

Joomla is an awesome CMS, but that is not without its cons. The cons of Joomla are: 1. Despite the fact that Joomla is easy to learn, it's learning curve is more complex than that of other CMSs like WordPress, Wix, and Weebly. 2. Poor layout: For me, the outlook of a website designed with Joomla seems to be less elegant than that designed with other CMSs like WordPress and Wix. These are the two cons I can point out with Joomla.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

I chose Joomla so that I'll explore its features and see what it can help me do.

Ali

Flexible and SEO friendly Content Management System

I have been working with Joomla CMS for many years and it is one of the strongest and oldest free and open source CMS in the world and it is one of the best in terms of security, technology and simplicity and I’ve use Joomla for some website cases that have special features.

Pros

It's open source and free! It supported by volunteer community for many years and it's free forever.

Cons

Joomla template design could be more beautiful and with more features. In appearance, it has fewer molds than other competitors and should invest more in the appearance and design of the UI.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

Open-source, great extension directory, free and paid templates and modules with fair prices.

Reasons for switching to Joomla

For some websites cases and projects need to use another CMS and Joomla

Joomla still a vital CMS in 2021

Joomla is a great Open Source project that will continue to give it's users a voice on the internet.

Pros

Joomla is still a vital Open Source CMS for building websites. The ease of use and MVC model is still far superior than the other CMS's. The true power of Joomla is what you can do with the core product without needed 3rd party plugins or products.

Cons

There is a lot to say about the cons, from beginner ease of use, to backward compatibility issues, and the overall advancement of the code and services.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

When I first chose Joomla, WordPress was just a blog.

Reasons for switching to Joomla

The Open Source Community and advanced capabilities of Joomla.

Use Joomla if you like structured and guided onboarding

Joomla has quite alot of features out of the box so you can get started quickly without worrying about installing additional add-ons.

Pros

I've used Joomla from time to time, when I have no say over what CMS to use. It's fairly popular in the early 2010s. The fact that it is still around now, though it's market share has been dwindling over the decade, shows that there is still value. I love how the setup process and admin panel are so structured and guided. So it is really easy to get started with zero knowledge. The menus are all well categorised and labelled properly so you know where to find what. You won't get lost: system, users, content, etc. Just click on every single category and page, and your website will be done in no time.

Cons

The actual website layout is pretty boring and lacks creativity so it may not be suitable for all kinds of website. However, if content is more important than aesthetics or presentation for you, then Joomla may be what you're looking for. People say there is a steep learning curve, it does take awhile. Funny thing is, if you're IT saavy or know some basic coding, I find I take longer to customise Joomla than its competitors. But if you're not so good at computers, then use Joomla.

Arnis

Joomla is very functional web platform, but needs knowledge to use

Joomla has been around for ages. And older Joomla versions are still out there a lot. But they has many security flaws. Latest Joomla version (3) ir much more modern and stable to use

Pros

Functionality. It is very modular and has rich functionality

Cons

It's complicated. It's not easy to make changes and implement modules. Many of modules are commercial and is not for free even to try

Reasons for choosing Joomla

It's free and customers have been working with Joomla older versions before. It's more modular and functional even without web developers.

Phil

Joomla my favourite CMS to use

Overall I love Joomla, been using it for over 10 years I think it version 1.3 or 1.4 I started off with back then and stuck with it all the way through as other CMS systems just didn't seem as user friendly when I tried them. I can create nice websites that do what I need, just wish there was more help on making them great in the eyes of Google to pass the page speed and core web vitals tests etc

Pros

It has to be that it works logically and makes sense, if there is a problem you can usually work out what has caused it and fixed it without much of a problem. If you do get stuck then there are usually places where you can find answers to your problems online

Cons

When coming to technical SEO issues for things like increasing page speed, removing unused Java script & CSS etc most of the tutorials online seem to be focused more on different CMS users like WP etc, it would be great if Joomla did actually have some paid employees who could create useful guides for non coders who aren't experts that could make some walk through guides so the average user could make their own websites run like experts sites. I know Joomla is an open source software, but I wouldn't mind paying a small fee when I set up a new website to contribute to having some full time paid staff who could provide more documentation and training for Joomla, as opposed to having to paid large fees to experts as that's not really in my budget.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

I tried Wordpress and found it very frustrating and unintuitive, then Drupal I didn't actually try, read a few reviews and decided to go with Joomla. Although I did see quite a few impressive websites that had been made on Drupal. Another thing that turned me off Wordpress was that I started to notice that most of the WordPress sites I was coming across seemed to be very very similar and so didn't really think that this would help my sites to stand out. Joomla seemed to have lots of very different styles of website which made it seem a lot more flexible.

Nigel Masimba

It's Ok But There Are Better Options

I use Joomla! intermittently for client websites. I never set up new websites with Joomla! as I believe there are better solutions out there. However, in the case of existing websites where Joomla! has been used for a long time and a large amount of content has been uploaded, it is usually easier to maintain the existing installation than to migrate to a new installation.

Pros

It's free and open source. It's fast, lightweight and easy to install. There is a large community of developers and users ready to help with advice on how to use it.

Cons

The interface is unintuitive for beginners It is lagging behind other similar content management systems Depending on the issue it can take time to get support from the open-source community Some common software integrations can be difficult to find

Reasons for choosing Joomla

It was the existing solution on an established system so it was easier to maintain the legacy than move to new systems.

Nabin

Powerful CMS for growing websites

We have been developing large and complex news portals for our clients using Joomla.

Pros

Joomla is a free and open source CMS that can be customized and extended easily.

Cons

Web development speed is slower using Joomla

Reasons for choosing Joomla

Joomla is beginner friendly CMS with powerful features.

Md Billal Hossain

Industry: Writing and Editing

The Best CMS For E-Commerce Store

It is great for e-commerce solution. Not perfect as a blogging platform.

Pros

- Awesome inventory system - Easily able to create e-commerce store - Free of cost - Huge number of templates

Cons

- Functionality little bit messy according to other CMS. Especially according to WordPress.

Reasons for switching to Joomla

Joomla is easy than Magento. Less bugs in Joomla.

Stefan

Joomla review

I have used Joomla to create a number of websites and Joomla made it really easy for me to do this. Instead of writing a whole website by hand I can have a working prototype that I can showcase to the customer in a matter of hours.

Pros

Joomla as a CMS has a lot of options and is very modular, for someone who has some knowledge with web development Joomla seems like the right option . Another thing that gives Joomla an edge over other content managing systems is that it has very good search engine optimization which is something very important if we rely on Google for site recommendations.

Cons

Joomla doesn't have a very wide choice of add-ons and templates, which we should consider when deciding on which CMS to use. Also for regular users Joomla is harder to use since it has a somewhat steep learning curve.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

For developing website that I personally take care of I always choose Joomla over WordPress. This is due to that Joomla has a model-view-controller workflow that software developers are accustomed to.

Joomla has decent features but still needs better plugins

Pros

Joomla is a feature rich CMS similar to Wordpress and Drupal. It was fairly easy to deploy and had many templates available for purchase.

Cons

Most of the plugins that are worthwhile must be purchased. The support between many of the commercial plugins can be problematic. We spent so much money on plugins and then switched platforms due to lack of interoperability.

Reasons for switching to Joomla

Commercial plugin reliance and lack of interoperability between plugins.

Vjekoslav

Still best overall CMS

I have been using Joomla since the time it was a mambo CMS. I have created a large number of websites since then and what I can say with certainty is that Joomla is still a better CMS than other opensource solutions. Joomla CMS is a great tool for creating business websites and portals with lots of articles and content. Most popular Joomla templates allow me to create module positions where I want. I can display the modules on the sub pages where I want. To create a multilingual website I don’t have to install additional extensions if I don’t want to. Thousands and thousands of great extensions, modules and templates are available to expand the capabilities of the CMS system.

Pros

I love being able to create a website without additional plug-in installations or extensions. Joomla core has built-in features and capabilities to make a simpler website. I like better visibility and management of articles and categories in administration. I like the ability to use multiple templates on one website. I like the ability to, for almost everything, make an override via the menu. And what I like most is that I have complete control over the website from start to finish.

Cons

What I don’t like the most is that the process of upgrading to a new version can be problematic for people who have no experience with Joomla. I am not thinking here of the update process but of the upgrade. Eg. from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4. But the online community is great and always helps, and there are a number of instructions so everything can be solved even if you get stuck.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

Wordpress is the most popular CMS and clients sometimes ask for a website to be created in Wordpress. Wordpress is also a good CMS, but it took me a long time to accept that I can't create a website without 10-15 extra plugins.

Stacy

A little work goes a long way!

I was a faithful user of Joomla for 8 to 10 years. I actually got very good at working within the CMS. Once you learn how it all fits together, it can be a productive CMS, but it's simply not as easy as Wordpress. Wordpress is much less complicated and can do what Joomla does.

Pros

Joomla was the very first CMS I ever used. Being open source doesn't hurt, as it's always updating and evolving. The biggest pro for this product is that you have an enormous extensions catalog, both free and paid, which means you can create a one of a kind website.

Cons

For me the same thing that makes it great, is also the same thing that makes it less great. With Joomla being updated quite often, it happens often when extensions fail to update as quickly as the CMS itself, which renders them inactive until updated. Plus, there is a learning curve to working with Joomla, and it doesn't take long to forget which extension controls what element of the site.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

I was leaving Drupal for something with more flexibility and a more robust building environment. At that time I looked on Wordpress as only a blogging platform, but since then it is now a very robust CMS too!

Reasons for switching to Joomla

Joomla had a more extensive extension catalog and there were more templates available for Joomla than Drupal.

Frederico

Want to build a website now? Use Joomla!

Jommla is a web content management system that helped me a lot in my early career as a web designer, in publishing and managing web content, mainly because I had little knowledge on the subject at the time. Used for online stores, corporate blogs, news portals, service catalogs, among other formats. It is a CMS that does not require in-depth programming knowledge. With little knowledge of HTML and CSS, a lot of cool stuff can be done. It has many plugins and components that complement and facilitate the construction of online content. I am so grateful for all he has given me.

Pros

Jommla is easy to manage content online and solves everything without programming. There are many tutorials on youtube and communities that help each other to resolve any difficulties that may arise when developing web projects.

Cons

It could have more native functions. There are endless possibilities, but they have to be added through components, modules and plugins.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

I chose joomla for its ease of use and for not needing programming knowledge. In addition there are many tutorials on youtube where other users teach you how to use and configure very easily.

Sergey

Zero $0 investment, resulting in a great looking website

Not only I learned something new, which I've never known before, I was also able to present a great looking product to a higher level management, which really didn't cost company a penny.

Pros

I came to use Joomla when I needed to build a web based portal for my company to organize internal resources and data. While I can't call myself a Linux guru, it really took me 15 minutes to get my initial Joomla website up and running. Instructions are very clear and simple. Joomla was my first CMS product to evaluate. While it did take me a couple of days to understand it's structure, from that point, building a website was as easy as 123. Everything is visual. You don't have to be a great programmer / web developer to get along with this product. With the amount of available free and paid plugins, sky is really your limit to your web site customization. While my website was fairly simple (as that's the way I wanted to have it), I've seen examples of very complex high end websites, built on Joomla. My favorite feature is a backup. It so happened several times, that I managed to break my website. Restoring from a backup and going back live was so easy, it was hard to believe. Provided this was a totally free solution (Ubuntu Linux + Joomla CMS), I couldn't ask for a better software for my project.

Cons

Really nothing. Like I said it did take me a couple of days to understand how to add content and structure it, but once this was figured out, the rest was a breeze.

‘Thanks to Joomla Community’

Wouldn’t exaggerate. A community who believes that the web should be for every one, works tirelessly to afford that opportunity free of cost. Go get it and experience for yourself. Go to https://downloads.joomla.org/ and understand your limits or nolimits. Then just leave a note of appreciation @ Joomla.

Pros

Thanks to Joomla community we have open source CMS to build websites at free of cost. Imaging the cost we have to incur if we had to rely on a multinational SW developer? This community of developers have come together and given us an exceptional CMS in building a site be it personal or commercial but free of cost. All you need is a hosting plan (free or paid and in most, Joomla is included as the CMS together with WP etc.) and you can get going building your site but you may need some coding skills if you want to customize your site. Having said so, Joomla has its own resources even for an average person to learn through errors. ‘If you are keen, Joomla is lean’. Why worry, you don't need to pay for your trials and errors. There are tons of learning material available at https://training.joomla.org/, https://forum.joomla.org/, etc where Joomla community is behind you to help you in making your project get going. There are enough of layouts and extensions/plugins free and paid, choice is yours. Don’t ask questions about SEO, all built-in. No need to pay for third parties to bring your site to the front. Don’t get caught to advertising, and if you, you will end up paying for what is offered free at Joomla. Now don’t worry about where you come from and the language you speak. Joomla will speak FOR YOU. Now, try Joomla for the endless features and resources.

Cons

Ideal for webmasters. That doesn’t mean you cannot utilize Joomla. Joomla is never downgraded. Its not an insult to Joomla community. But what I meant was for webmaters, the limit is beyond the sky.

Joomla is a great cms alternative to Wordpress

I’ve used it for years with great results for myself and clients. I feel that my joomla sites have been more easy to update and more stable than the Wordpress ones as the years have went by. I’d much more rather troubleshoot a joomla error than a Wordpress one :) any day

Pros

I love Joomlas structure both from a content editors perspective and a coders perspective. Joomla is setup out of the box to handle and organize large amounts of content and is seo friendly. It’s templating system is easy to work with and makes it so much easier for designers and users. It’s admin is customizable and is logical. I’ve tried to love Wordpress but find myself always going back to joomla. In so many ways it’s core features and overall structure is just more logical to me and cleaner. Many times there isn’t a need for plugins cause the core will do most things which helps later on with site migrations and upgrades. With either Wordpress or joomla of one finds themselves needing super advanced feature sets such as for e-commerce or other things then I’d recommend looking into a customized saas service since they will be a lot more stable and better in the long term for maintenance and security. But for content sites and most business applications I love joomla over most other cms choices. The latest versions of joomla have also added nice core features making it extensible in a myriad of ways. As a non coder by trade I was able to learn joomla well and customize things myself since they are laid out more logically,

Cons

I think akeeba backup should partner with joomla and make akeeba a core feature of the cms :) but it’s still easy to install myself and run backups :) so no problem.

Qamar

Joomla for Perfect web site devolpment tool

Best way to expressing and perform search engine optimization, mostly used for social media marketing, Classic UI and more configurable items make it useful, much secured and convenient working with server side, Lesser extensions are available to add more feature, integrated perfectly with social media like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube perfectl.

Pros

Much secured and comprehensive content management system that supports wide range of websites, discussion, introduction, with personal messaging service, user management, role defining is fully covered including access to pages, detailed pages and customization can be done accordingly to enhanced added feature, direct access and working with server through its configuration.

Cons

Much complicated and hidden type setting, hard to customize it, due to complexity and difficult customization comparatively lesser plugins, extensions are available, so it needs more and more customization and work if you did not found your required features in prebuilt in extension.

Secured

Brendt

Industry: Wholesale

Love the Joomla!

Very good system - combines ease of use with a very professional look and feel to the end user experience.

Pros

I have been using this platform for many years and it is the easiest to use CMS system I have had the chance to try. Great template selections from many outlets and the Open Source aspect makes looking for tweaks easy.

Cons

There are constant security updates that you need to be on top of and keeping the version current can be challenging with keeping certain Modules working properly - not a problem if you read up before making the updates.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

It was the first platform I tried in this vein and it did what was promised and I did not look back.

Reasons for switching to Joomla

Ease of the WYSIWYG platform.

Great CMS, with a great responsability of privacy for users

Complete CMS from the first installation, it really grew up in the last years! I ported already one wordpress site :-)

Pros

As any other CMS it installs in minutes, not even seconds, but its asking about tracking, its asking about privacy, by default it manages user requests pretty good! WordPress can learn from this. The default editor in Joomla is rich, very rich and is not stripped of like you see in other CMS systems where you have to install add-ons to have the full functionality. Of course you can disable the editor and go full with HTML content yourself. A simple website with a little banner, contact form and some company info, with your choosen template from the integrated installer is done in no-time and you don't need experience.

Cons

The editor is great for me and I love it, when creating pages(articles) but maybe you can also create a lite version of the editor for people who want to copy/paste from word? There is up to now no default way to enter a youtube ID for easy publishing a youtube video or maybe I am wrong, but can not find it, of course you can add an embed link, but users are not always aware of how to do this.

Reasons for choosing Joomla

For every client you have the perfect fit, but more and more is moved to Joomla, mainly because of modulair the management page is these days and how easy you install extensions., Thanks Joomla TEAM!

Reasons for switching to Joomla

Privacy is important and that's what Joomla is doing out of the box.

Alvaro

Industry: Utilities

CMS that is fully customizable

Joomla! CMS is one of the first out there, and it keeps improving. Support is easy to find via their active Open source community. The setup requires a little reading up, but once you get past this initial hurdle, everything else is easy to use, intuitive, and super flexible to suit everyone's need. Joomla! is also a good choice in teaching young IT and Web enthusiasts since it is open source and fully extensible and customizable. It will run on older hardware, and minimum requirement will not be a problem.

Pros

Joomla! has been around for decades, and the reason for such popularity and continued use is that it is easy-to-use and manage, it is open source and has a huge and active community that maintains it. The community provides extensive documentation, FAQs, and support for almost any question or issue you may encounter. Joomla! can be set up locally and easy to deploy to the Internet publicly. The security features have significantly improved through the years. This CMS comes with an intuitive dashboard. And there are many third-party integrations available for setup. Since this is open source, the elements are customizable to suit your needs.

Cons

Setting up may require an initial (steep) learning curve. May be not as easy to set up as Wix or Weebly. Hence may require the admin to be more-or-less tech savvy (and not just a beginner).

Candace

Exceptional web developing software application!

The benefits of using Joomla include managing content within a secured database. Other benefits of Joomla include learning about site analytics, metadata, structure and navigation of building a professional website. Additional benefits of utilizing Joomla include receiving a certification for the completion of certain exams. Furthermore, the benefits of utilizing Joomla consist of being able to clone or download repositories from GitHub to assist with more website development.

Pros

Joomla is an open source content management system that non-profit, state agencies, small-businesses, or corporations. Organizations can benefit from utilizing Joomla because the features within the applications are relatively simple to utilize to distribute company's information on a website. Joomla is an excellent tool that interfaces with your company's network that allows for online applications to be built. Joomla utilizes a standard website content builder similar to Word Press that allows for classified fields to be entered by the end user. Content can be managed by authenticated or authorized users for publishing purposes. Content can be synced with the company's intranet or internet ensuring smooth synchronization between two platforms using PHP and SQL.

Cons

Promotional materials may be forwarded to the company's legal address as providing an address is required upon registering with volunteers.joomla.org. IP Address may be utilized to identify possible abuse, which may be shared between third parties. IP Addresses my be shared when commenting on features, which also includes the users name and email address. Other information may be collected, but the "other information" is not specified within the terms of service agreement or privacy policy. Sharing of other information can be allowed with third parties regarding advertisements of goods or services.

Lisa

Joomla Is Robust and Extensible

I've been using Joomla! for almost 10 years, since the very early days of the project. It's come a long, long way since then, and it remains one of the most flexible and feature-rich CMSes out there. The caveat is that any novice will have difficulty learning the ins and outs of Joomla unless they are massively dedicated to pouring over pages of documentation. When compared to WordPress, it has more out-of-the-box features but is a little less user-friendly in terms of getting up and going.

Pros

The built-in ACL is excellent, allowing you to easily create user-focused site without adding a ton of plugins. Joomla beats WordPress in user management, menu management, and template management out of the box. There is very little that you can't do with this software.

Cons

Many people don't keep the software up-to-date, which leads to security concerns and has given the impression that Joomla is insecure. It's not any more or less than other open source software, but it HAS to be kept up-to-date, and with all open source CMSes security software is a must. SEO isn't quite as easy in Joomla but I hear that's changing with upcoming releases.

Alan

Amazing CMS for larger government websites

I've had a great experience with Joomla as it has a huge number of extensions, particles, and templates to help you get the perfect results for a refined and highly functional website.

Pros

We use Joomla for our County websites that serve 1 million plus customers. We have a number of staff editors that maintain their specialized content for our 3 local government websites here in Southern California. When working with Joomla, a good template developer is essential and it's important to use a good hosting company for ease of installation and maintenance. We use InspireThemes for our templates and SiteGround as our hosting company. This is a terrific combination as these vendors provide excellent products and superior support. Joomla is a fantastic CMS for our needs as it provides stability, powerful extensions, room for expansion, and ease of use.

Cons

I would strongly advise anyone wanting to use Joomla to start with a Quickstart template with a strong framework built in, like Gantry5 framework. The Quickstart templates save development time and frustration. You can easily install a fresh template in a matter of minutes and then choose your features and away you go! But use a reliable template developer and a customer service oriented hosting company - VERY IMPORTANT!

I will keep using Joomla and can't recommend enough

I was able to collaborate on design changes to our corporate website with my fellow designers and developers, and overall the experience of editing, designing, previewing, and publishing content was at first a little time consuming to follow all the steps, but eventually was so easy to follow time and time again. It is a tool that myself and my colleagues continue to turn to when we have web development tasks that need to be completed and with new features continuing to be pushed out, it's never been a better time to learn how to use and train others on the program as well.

Pros

I found Joomla to be a great tool that was used as the back end engine of our customer facing website. As someone with some technical skills, I was able to learn how to use the editing tools pretty quickly, I learned how to be a user administrator and set up permissions for our customer portal to allow ease of access for customer materials - the overall set up of these features was a very stress free process.

Cons

Depending on how you've decided to use this content management tool, the process of upgrading certain features and customizing the back end user interface can be challenging when the needs arise. I find the normal challenges that I've found with similar content management tools, however there is little that I dislike from a back end user perspective.

Joomla