• Pros

• "I love that I can use this all office application for free. A lot of functionality, great user interface, really recommend! "

• "Mi piace il concetto che sta dietro l'azienda, è uno strumento in continua evoluzione e non delude le aspettative."

• "I love the fact that it is free and powerful."

• Cons

• "Has some issues, takes a while to understand some functions, and has a few difficulties but nothing serious"

• "Some shortcuts are a bit weird in LibreOffice but other than that everything works just fine."

• "Some "heavy" files take a few seconds longer than normal to open, but it's tolerable."

Browse LibreOffice Reviews

Radek from ZERO

The new go-to Office suite!

LibreOffice is a perfect alternative for other Office suites. It's opensource, it handles multiplatform collaboration very well, and it's a breeze to switch from any other office suite.

Pros

LibreOffice is unbelievably easy to hop in for a newcomer - no matter what you've been using previously. Because most of us, its users, are probably "switchers", either from MS Office or OpenOffice, LibreOffice not only makes up for the software we've been using before - it also does a lot more, and does it in very intuitive, effective manner.

Cons

I hate the fact that I've hesitated so long to actually try LibreOffice. But after installing it and giving it a chance to shine - it was love from the first sight.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

We've felt that OpenOffice was abandoned. Also, it did not handle MS Office document import very well.

Zuhairah from Shopee

Free office suite

It save some of my budget for my software costing as this software is free to use either or work or personal purposes. They may not have have all the premium feature that bigger software like Microsoft Office has, but they still has their own strength.

Pros

The best feature with LibreOffice is the flexibility of the document format that can open other software document format like .docx or doc. It is very important because it will not change the document layout and placement of the text or table. It is free to use and using open source which it will receive constant update from user to upgrade the software.

Cons

This software is full of bugs and things to be fix. The auto-save feature is not as reliable and i have experience my document is crashing and the auto-save can't recovering the document back to the last save point. I had to create the document back from the start and it is consuming so much time.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

More feature supported with LibreOffice and free to use.

Barbara from Binghamton University Psychology Department

Industry: Research

Great for small group or individual use but not across platforms

As a student, I liked using LibreOffice as an alternative to Microsoft Office, especially if a professor insisted on uploading .docx files to Blackboard or Banner with no alternative file type. However, now that Microsoft is becoming more proprietary, LibreOffice is not keeping up with the features and integration, and much of the formatting that my coworkers prize are lost when uploaded elsewhere, making LibreOffice outdated in our workplace.

Pros

It's free and looks a lot like Microsoft Office. It carries out the major functions: writing a document, creating a spreadsheet, even adding formulas and embedding images. Because it is less bulky than Office, it moves faster and its documents are faster to email. Files can be saved in many formats including .doc. You can open .docx files without paying for a Microsoft license.

Cons

Many features do not open correctly when importing from Microsoft. Formatting, special conditioning, and even many formulas will not import to LibreOffice, so cross-platforming is not possible.

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

Google Docs did not yet import .docx files.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

LibreOfffice was free and less clunky

YoYo from FeedShare

Open Source version of Microsoft Word

It's Microsoft Office with it's older user interface that we are all used to. And it's free. There is no need to pay hundreds for Microsoft Office when LibreOffice does the same thing but free.

Pros

It's basically the free, open-source version of Microsoft Word. I have been using it for over a decade now (back when it was called Open Office), before Google Docs even came out. If you need to open a Word document that Google Docs can't open but you don't have Word, LibreOffice is great for that.

Cons

It doesn't open word doc format perfectly all the time. There are still some marginal differences some times. Which is okay, it is not expected to. But it can be great if that could be done.

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

We still use Google Docs for the collaboration and most of our documents are stored on Docs. But sometimes you need something to be done in Word, and that's when we use LibreOffice.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

Enterprise software at enterprise rate is a little too expensive when there are better free options avaliable.

Maisarah from Digi Telecommunications

Great free alternative for creating document

Managing and editing all my document files with LibreOffice is quite easy. Not only offline, it is also available for online usage. The template in this software is not that many, but still good to be use. Overall, me and my team very satisfied using this software.

Pros

LibreOffice tools for creating and editing document is on par with other famous software like Ms.Office or Google Docs. The size is not too big and not slowing my computer even when i am opening redundant document files at the same time.

Cons

It takes some time to fully grasp all the feature of this software, because it is totally difference mechanism from other document creating software. Other than that, I really don't have any problem with this software.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

LibreOffice is free and has a many feature that can edit the document smoothly.

Aminuddin from Celcom Axiata Berhad

Free but packed with feature

I mostly are using this software for documentation controlling for our technical operation documentation. Creating various type of document like text and spreadsheet file is doable with this document.

Pros

I really like all the tools for creating a text document that are offered by LibreOffice. No registration needed to start using the software, and the file size is not too big preventing from using much RAM resource from my old computer. Not only compatible with Linux, its also work well with my windows operating computer.

Cons

There are some of the feature that is quite hard to use and totally unnecessary to be included, like the Vlookup tools that i still can configure what exactly the function of this tools.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

WPS is not feature rich for some of the tools.

Nicolas from Corona Print

Industry: Printing

Meilleur éditeur de feuille Excel

Pros

La fiabilité et la compatibilité dans l'interprétation des caractères est le point décisif qui m'a fait basculer définitivement vers Calc de Libre Office.

Cons

Les mises à jour sont manuelles, mais peu fréquentes (quelques-unes dans l'année).

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

Pour sa gestion impeccable de toutes sortes d'encodages.

Kimberly from The Perfect Touch

Almost as good as windows office

My overall experience is great I definitely love the ease of use and it is a overall most if you wanna alternative to Microsoft office or comparable products. I don’t think you can go wrong if you want this alternative. I also believe that it is definitely worth the money.

Pros

I like that you can edit documents with is in one software program and don’t have to download different programs like you would with acrobat. I find that the ease of importing and exporting documents is fast and reliable. There is just as much you can do with us as you would with Microsoft word although the document saving options are a little bit different format.

Cons

Document formatting can be a little bit of a con as you would have to ask for if you want to save as a normal word doc or PDF which is usually the format you need to send to college or business customers. I also do not like play all the tools our group together a little overwhelming to find one thing and go through one section and 10 grades in each section. But overall I would say there is it too much to not like about this house it is great price and exceptional for all kinds of different uses.

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

The price is great but the features are want you need in any office. Business perspectively this is a win. Easy very useful with all the features and a must for office work.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

Too many viruses seemed to be going on with Microsoft.

Madhav from Global IME Bank

Review of Libre Office

My overall experience with LibreOffice is very good. I use it daily for personal and business use.

Pros

The feature that i like most about Libre Office it is totally free and the loading time is also very less compared to Microsoft Office products

Cons

There are not so many features and functionalities in Libre Office lke choosing a template, collaboration with other users and so on.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

I made the switch because i switched the operating system in my device.

Adolfo from Ministerio de Salud

LibreOffice has made it possible to scale the number of users in the organization

Using LibreOffice has experienced a significant cost reduction compared to other office applications

Pros

Libreoffice is very easy to install on users' machines. Updates are easy to apply, and works well for organizations with many users.

Cons

The learning curve for users already using another office suite can be a bit slow, and users will feel a bit frustrated.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

Due to the costs it was impossible to scale to all the users of the organization

Ray from Trimal

Industry: Research

Best alternative to MS Word

Outstanding. I use LibreOffice every day to review, edit, and translate documents in English and Chinese. The software handles multiple languages well.

Pros

I have used LibreOffice since 2010, when it forked from OpenOffice which I began using in 2003. From the beginning it has offered a viable alternative to MS Office. - Easy to use - Intuitive old-school menus, but offers an optional ribbon toolbar - Excellent track-changes features - Good document layout tools - Open standards

Cons

It has trouble handling long documents. When I edit dissertations of 100 or more pages, LibreOffice can become sluggish and responds poorly. However, been less of a problem in recent versions (ie current version 7) but has not been completely resolved. When adding Comment to a document, if the text in the Comment is too long, it cannot be seen without scrolling inside the Comment bubble. This makes makes it difficult for the user to scan a document and read all of the Comments without constantly using a mouse to scroll through Comment text. To resolve this, LibreOffice needs to add a Comment Bar on the side where all comments can be see in full text. MS Office includes this feature. To avoid problems when editing very long documents, I tend to stick with MS Word, despite finding it more awkward and inefficient.

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

LibreOffice is - cross platform. I use it on Linux, Windows, Mac. This makes it easy to share documents among colleagues who use different computers and operating systems. Perfect for small to large organizations. - easy to earn and quite intuitive - stable - full-featured - free - open source LibreOffice is open source and supported by a large community of developers under the guidance of the The Document Foundation (TDF) non-profit that promotes open-source document handling. The organization issues frequent updates of LibreOffice that fix bugs and introduce new features. LibreOffice has developed rapidly since 2011.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

LibreOffice follows open source standards and saves files in ODF (Open Document Format), an open source, standardized format that ensures the documents that you create will always remain readable even well into the future. The ODF format is unlikely to ever become obsolete and thus render your documents inaccessible. I had this exact problem with documents created years ago in Microsoft WORKS and in WPS Office Suite: the old files could not be opened. Luckily, LibreOffice was able to open them and I was able to re-save the old files in the modern ODF format.

Dorothy from St. Placid Priory

Excellent Quality, Price Right

We are a small women's monastery and don't have a big budget, so we look for inexpensive but dependable ways to keep costs low. LibreOffice certainly does this. I would recommend it both to individuals and organizations.

Pros

LibreOffice is similar to MS Office, enough so that moving from MS to Libre is seamless. Impress (Powerpoint equivalent) works well for slide presentations--and I also use it for desktop publishing. The only function it lacks for that use is text flow from column to column, which I always found troublesome anyway. I've been doing newsletters in Impress for many years and recommend it. I also like Libre because from the beginning it could read .doc and .docx, whereas MS Word has only been able to read open document formats like .odt since 2010. So collaboration with those who use MS products has always been possible, because Libre has always had the ability to save in MS formats. Back when PDF editors were not common, I used first OpenOffice Draw, then LibreOffice Draw to edit PDFs. I find Calc, the spreadsheet part of Libre, good to work with except for one function which I mention below. LibreOffice is open-source software, meaning that anyone who has the skills can contribute to its development. And although The Document Foundation, which manages the development of LibreOffice, always appreciates donations, the software itself is free of charge.

Cons

There is one function which may not be missing in Calc, but which for me is more difficult to use than the same function in MS Excel. That is searching for and deleting duplicates, for example in a mailing list. I wouldn't say it's intuitive in either software, but easier for me to figure out in Excel. The only other thing I can say that can, but doesn't always, make for difficulties, is if you are collaborating with a group using mixed operating systems, e.g. Linux and Windows. The versions of LibreOffice for each of these OSes are just slightly different, as one might expect. A certain amount of alertness is necessary when one OS sends a document to another--occasionally formatting can change when opened in Libre on a different OS. But we have not found that to be a big problem although we have used a mix of Linux and Windows for many years.

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

I tried LibreOffice when it forked from OpenOffice and found it more responsive to my needs, and it looked like it was heading in a better direction developmentally. I haven't been disappointed. Definitely recommend it. In more recent years I have looked at some other suites, online and local, but was not impressed.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

Originally I switched because I switched operating systems, from Windows to Linux. I still use Linux, as do some others here, but many use Windows. LibreOffice also works very well on Windows, and has saved us a lot of money since MS stopped including its office software with the OS.

A solid MS Word alternative

Very fast up time, small footprint, efficient and effective with a familiar interface. I use it for first drafts of my books. I use it alongside MS Office (which has no problem dealing with the files) knowing that if I should ever be unable to maintain my MS licence, all is not lost. Definitely recommended for those who need some serious power without a serious price tag.

Pros

For many people, MS Office is bloated, expensive and a resource hog. While Libre Office doesn't sport all the powerful features of MS Office, as a practical, no-nonsense office suite it can do just about anything you want except the very fancy stuff which, to be fair, few of us use!). For those on low incomes or even those more used to older versions of Office, this is a very efficient alternative with a familiar front end and a much smaller footprint, making it ideal for laptop computers with minimal hard-drive space. It's kept up to date, there are forums where any issues can be highlighted and it does what it says on the tin. If you're looking for an alternative to MS Office that's free and will do the job in most cases, this is the one you want.

Cons

There are features in MS Office full version you won't find here, but as most of us are used to using a Word Processor with occasional forays into spreadsheets, the bulk of users won't miss them. There are, of course, other open source alternatives to those programmes too. The point is, if all you're looking for is the basics, this'll do it and it has the overwhelming advantage of being free (though you can donate if you care to). If you want more, you may have to download others that aren't fully integrated, which is rather more fiddly but is doable.

Rodrigo from Dapa Sistemas Ltda

Everything you can ask for from a free office

I use LibreOffice almost daily mainly for reading and file conversion tasks, also because many companies and governments have used the OpenDocument format, which is much better worked on Libre. The improved support for CSV is really fundamental for my work, especially when I exchange data between programs and I need to make adjustments. I just don't use Libre completely, because standard Microsoft files like DOCX and XLSX open better and look better in MS Office - LibreOffice often messes up these types of files.

Pros

I love the fact that it maintains the purity of the traditional office layout, while in other programs everyone switches to the ribbon tabs (I particularly hate the ribbon). I really like Libre Office Calc's CSV support too, which lets you deal with different row / column separators. Command line automation options are also great for solving document conversion and repetitive tasks with scripts, even when calling by other programs.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about LibreOffice, for the purpose for which it is intended. Perhaps the fact that standard Microsoft files, such as doc / docx and xls / xlsx, do not always open correctly, as it is relatively common in more elaborate files, that LibreOffice makes a mess. But that usually doesn't affect me and I alternate between the two programs.

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

Abiword seemed very simple and very expensive (at the time, it would was paid), and at the time also had poor support for my language. With the end of OpenOffice I tried to find alternatives, and the first attempt was with Apache OpenOffice, but in the tests it seemed to me an outdated copy of the original OpenOffice, with little or no improvement. LibreOffice stood out to me for having a foundation focused only on its purpose, and it has really been getting more and more things, getting better and showing itself to be a living project.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

It was not quite an exchange. In fact, MS Excel's CSV support is terrible, as well as OpenDocument support is also terrible, and as I use it a lot, I ended up having to use LibreOffice for these tasks and MS Office for others where it works best. The ideal would be to do everything with a single program, but in computing this would be an illusion.

Ron from SaaS Company

Excellent for small businesses!

Overall, LibreOffice was a very nice and useful tool to have in the office, before transitioning to GSuite. The features in LibreOffice are more powerful than GSuite, generally speaking, and there are far more use cases. However, the likelihood of incompatibility or data corruption when transitioning between LibreOffice to other similar software is a little bit higher, even if it can be negligible. That said, it is still a fantastic choice of software, and it's up to you to determine whether or not the pros balance out or exceed the cons. I believe it's worth a shot!

Pros

The software mimics Microsoft Office quite a bit, so the learning curve is very small. Being that the software is free and open source, it's an excellent ethical addition to the workplace especially during a time where pirated software can be frequently found in the small business world.

Cons

Compatibility between MS Office and GSuite can be dicey sometimes. Most use cases are fine and not worth worrying, but if you do a lot of work with importing and exporting data and need a consistent way to edit/parse it, LibreOffice may not be your best initial choice for the workplace. LibreOffice can also be slow depending on your computer; a lot of the stuff that is trivially quick to do in a program such as Excel can be a little bit of a crunch with LibreOffice's equivalent.

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

LibreOffice was the best way, at the time, to ensure that our office was not pirating software (due to unethical practices by a previous manager). It worked out as an office-wide tool for years, until GSuite's options expanded and became more refined, at which point it became beneficial to switch. However, I still firmly believe that even despite LibreOffice's flaws, it still makes for a magnificent alternative to paid or cloud-oriented products.

Does most things. Does them easily. Does them for free.

I have used LibreOffice for years in tandem with Microsoft Office -- largely to do work on personal systems that did not have Microsoft Office licenses. Keeping the limitations of LibreOffice and it's compatibility with Microsoft Office in mind, I have run into few issues using it in this capacity. In many ways, I prefer the more traditional outlook of LibreOffice to Microsoft Office; while Microsoft is switching its software to primarily using cloud-based saving, LibreOffice does not make the maddening assumption that the user will never want to store a file on the local system. And as LibreOffice is regularly updated, I am certain that it will continue to get better, rather than more annoying to use.

Pros

LibreOffice is actually a suite of software products. That said, the biggest pro of the entire suite is that it offers virtually all of the functionality found in the Microsoft Office suite at none of the cost. This review focuses on Writer, Calc, and Impress as those are what I use. Writer, in particular, spares no feature I can possibly imagine needing for standard word processing tasks (such as writing reports). Unless there is a specific feature in Word that is needed for something -- what that would even be, I don't know -- Writer does the job just as well. Similar points to Calc and Impress -- although the differences can be a bit more glaring in those cases. Still, for most users in most contexts, the LibreOffice suite is more than suitable. Plus, on Linux, it's really your best and only option.

Cons

Navigating the GNUsphere can be a little weird for the uninitiated. For the user reading this review, you likely have knowledge of what you're getting into -- or at least a strong enough interest in using Office software for free to figure it out. However, the code behind formatting rules in Writer, as an example, differs from that of Word even if the actual formatting rules are the same. So sending a LibreOffice-generated document to a colleague using Microsoft Office can sometimes lead to strange formatting problems and additional work. In the case of Calc and Impress, users will likely find that the features simply do not stack up to those offered in Microsoft Office's equivalents. Particularly with Calc, equivalents to certain advanced formulas found in Excel may not exist, or may not operate in the same manner.

An excellent suite solution for analysts

We have used Libre Office (and open office, as it was known previously) for a long time. It's a solid product, it does anything you'd expect from a suite and it has all normal benefits or a large open-source offering. It works well, tracks Office suite very closely and exceeds it in important ways. In calc for example it has something like 10-20% more formulas than say Microsoft Excel (though it is missing a few excel formulas). We like Calc particularly for one feature- the ability to compare two spreadsheets. This is useful for modeling where you have multiple people working off a base sheet over a long period of time, and then if you need to merge or figure out where primary differences are- either in formulas or data and where specifically- it makes it much easier to get down to this quickly. This is something that is not really possible in online versions of Google Suite (or Microsoft Office, to our knowledge), so it saves a lot of time. Libre also- perhaps unsurprisingly for an open source suite- has better import/export options. Too many to list here, but one we like particularly is being able to export a sheet to an image in one click. If you do this a lot, it saves quite a bit of time. One weakness here is that if you are heavily integrating with Google or MS suite users, google apps scripts won't carry over at all and MS macros are sometimes limited significantly. The mathematical graphing of formulas is also very nice in Libre.

Pros

Libre Office has a number of great things not found in other suites, esp in our case but definitely not limited to: * number numerical and mathematical features (esp spreadsheet enhancements over excel) * number of import/export options and document format compatibility * formula editing and charting * also, it's FREE. (and open source, though we do not use or plan to use this aspect, nice it's there) * being that it runs locally and not in cloud, this means you have 100% control of your data so it's good for very proprietary information These mostly relate to Libre Office Calc (the spreadsheet program) because that is primarily what we use LO for. It's Writer document-editing program is pretty advanced and probably better overall- or at least in significant ways- than Google Docs or MS Word, particularly if you have a document you re-use a lot. It's styles feature are much more advanced than other word processors. We don't have much opportunity to use styles or Writer relative to Calc though, so this review mostly focuses on Calc.

Cons

It's a download. Most software these days is run anywhere from a website, especially if it's end-user facing. However Libre Office being totally free, you have to download it and run locally. It's pretty large (hundreds of MB), but with big drives these days not too much of an issue. You do have to maintain your own backups and updates though, which can be an issue. Also you have to install the whole thing, so even though we primarily use it for Calc, people who use it get everything. It also being a desktop app, lacks modern collaboration features with multi-user editing that you find with online suites from Google or Microsoft. This is more about it being free and offline, but important. Would also say that if you are tracking latest whiz-bang features from Microsoft's suite, Libre Office tends to be several years behind it. Most people this doesn't matter, and for some important things it's ahead... but it's very application-specific so you probably should do a lot of research to make sure it's right for your case.

Ishanka from Global Systems Solutions International

The best alternative for the MS Office if you are looking for free software

Of course, in some aspects, Libre Office cannot compete with Microsoft, but at the same time, it has all the software needed for work. It doesn’t demand powerful hardware and it is easier to learn. Office suite LibreOffice perfectly copes with most of the tasks associated with working in text or spreadsheet documents. This software package, without any tricks, is absolutely and unconditionally free. However, it is not perfect, especially if you switched from Microsoft Office. LibreOffice remains a highly competent office suite, and this free software continues to improve. Due to its rich functionality, LibreOffice is ideal for many people who need a free alternative to Microsoft Office.

Pros

LibreOffice is a powerful office suite with an intuitive interface and rich features aimed at productivity and creativity. LibreOffice includes several applications, such as Writer - for working with text documents; Calc - for working with spreadsheets; Impress - for creating presentations; Draw - for vector graphics and drawings; Base - for working with databases and, finally, Math, focused on working with various formulas. LibreOffice allows you to work with documents of all types. It is compatible with Microsoft Office documents and with the new open standard ODT (OpenDocument Formats). The interface of the software in the package is as simple as possible. There is a detailed "Help", so this office suite is perfect for inexperienced PC users; This is a completely free open-source product; It supports many languages; LibreOffice can be used on many UNIX-compatible systems, such as MS Windows, Mac, Linux; Low requirements for the hardware of the computer. It will start without any problems and will work even on the oldest computers.

Cons

But like any software, LibreOffice has its disadvantages: The functionality of some LibreOffice programs is inferior to the functionality of similar programs from the MS Office package; Some programs that are in MS Office have no analogs in this package.

Rajatkumar from The One Technology

LibreOffice - A genuine helper

My organization generally follows linux principle to work upon. Opneness of code and development in open source technology like Kubernetes, java, python. Our primary os is Ubuntu. For that reasons, LibreOffice is a natural choice for Office work and collaborative report generations. Overall happy with my choice as libreoffice as it is not expensive as MS Office.

Pros

It is freely available. It supports the Windows, Linux both environment. Adaption of notebook bar recently is very helpful in organizing menus and choosing tasks. Most important tool for me as a report maker of whole day work is .. Export to PDF. Portable format support. Rapid and active development of this project is plus one point here. zotero plugin support for libre-office is undeniably useful for researcher and uni students open server collaboration facility is useful for online collaborative work support for wide variety of extension and file format makes it a desirable choice. some small suggestion box and tools are implemented very well targeting the need of end user

Cons

some issues are regarding formatting.. several times you get a faded document once you open an MS Word document here. There is compatibility issue with respect to MS format and The document foundation format. ODF formats are not widely acceptable due to dominance of Microsoft Office products. Recent changes in interface are good. but need more of that to match with modern era

Sébastien from Omnívoro

The Best Free and Cross-Platform Office Suite Available, Period

Because there is no need to get a license in order to use it, it has been helpful in giving friends and family members who aren't tech-savvy access to this software on their own computer to be able to work freely on their own projects. It has worked really well on all major operating systems and it is a breeze to help out when something is not going as well as planned, since one file will open exactly the same on any machine. There is even a portable version of the suite that makes it possible to execute the software directly from a USB stick, which was also handy more than once. In work settings where there is no budget to install paid software on all machines, LibreOffice really is a lifesaver. Even though it is free, it has all the necessary features to get the job done and that is why it consistently becomes the number one choice to use, especially on Linux systems and in companies with less than ideal budget.

Pros

LibreOffice has a complete suite of tools that includes a word processor, a spreadsheet application, tools for drawing and presentation as well as a database manager. The word processor integrates flawlessly with other components of the suite: you can easily enter mathematical formulae, insert tables from a spreadsheet or drawings as multimedia files. It can also export to PDF with great results any kind of document that's opened with it. Apart from PDF, it can also export to various other formats depending on the type of document (including PNG, SVG, HTML, EPUB, etc.). One other clear advantage of LibreOffice is that it is free (as in open source) and uses by default open formats, which makes it easy to use with different software that use the same file extensions. It's also quite lightweight and works even on older systems. Since it works on different operating systems including Windows, MacOS and Linux, it can be used in work environments with machines used for different purposes without any problem. There are many templates and extensions available to customize the experience and the way styles and paragraphs are handled makes more sense than with other alternatives: it is clear what result is obtained and changes are easy to apply to a whole document.

Cons

One has to be careful with the database manager as there are a number of cases of corrupted databases that have been reported. LibreOffice also tries its best to import files that use a format from other popular suites but sometimes, the formatting will not match exactly what is expected, especially with DOCX and XLXS files when special components such as macros are involved. Because it uses Java to be cross-platform, it can feel slower than other alternatives and it doesn't look as well integrated as native applications for that reason. It can be tedious to design flowcharts with LibreOffice Draw because aligning elements between each other and resizing them is not always as intuitive as it could be. Opening PPTX (PowerPoint) presentations with LibreOffice Impress sometimes causes notorious lags and display errors with multimedia files. There are non-obvious workarounds, but this can be an issue when receiving presentations that are designed for other pieces of software.

Santiago from El Brunch Show

A free, safe and reliable office automation, a revelation.

For any entrepreneur, the costs of the programs are usually a limitation, as an independent worker it is vital for me to have advanced programs and high professional skills, in order to offer my clients a quality service, so I have achieved with LibreOffice, find a faithful ally to all the work I must do, from processing reports for a service request, to developing all the presentations that my clients require to know the capabilities of my work, it is thanks to LibreOffice that I have managed to save the money that other commercial options they ask for the same capabilities that I get with LibreOffice, at the cost of a donation to your project if it is to my liking, or I download it and later with the payments of my clients I can finance this wonderful experience.

Pros

One of the things I like most about LibreOffice, is that it allows you to use any of its programs just by downloading it, it's great to have free software available for your equipment, whatever your operating system, it's precisely that mobility and adaptability of your platform, which has led her to always include them in the list of programs that I must download once I format the computer. The saving of money is abysmal, you can install as many times as you want in as many teams as you like, and after so many years of constant work of its developers, it is possible to have versions adapted to the languages of your region. There are no limitations to use it, in addition you have everything that private office sells you completely free, you have word processor, calculations, presentations and much more, do not hesitate to use it today.

Cons

For iOS its interface has reached beautiful levels, and little by little they have brought that high quality feeling to their other platforms, that is why I can not negatively qualify any of its components because LibreOffice itself is a true revelation.

Nairoby from CANTV

Use makes the expert

Pros

- For those who do not know, is the competence of Microsoft Office, open source and I can say with complete certainty that it is very good and can perform almost all the same, if we are casual non-advanced users. - It is easy to install, intuitive and easy to use, it is multiplatform, it comes in different languages, it has a portable version that can be carried on a pendrive. - Currently I use the version Version: 5.0.1.2 and although it is free, I do not have the freedom to update it in the pc of my work. - A great advantage of LibreOffice package tools over your competition, is that I can export to PDF or HTML without installing anything additional, as it is included in your menu. - It is important to familiarize yourself with the format in which the documents are stored as it can be confusing when sharing with another person, usually sent in .odt or in the case of Cal I send it .ods and if by chance they tell me that they can not open it, because what I do is recommend that you download LibreOffice before converting it. - You can make tables, insert images, graphics, make macros, bring templates by default for trades, communications, cards, curriculum, all tools are compatible among themselves, from my point of view has greater variety in fonts. - If you want to start in the world of free software, the first step is to install LibreOffice.

Cons

LibreOffice allows you to open a .doc, an .xls, but it is possible that something will move or something will be unraveled at the design level, the content will be there but something can be distorted. Cal has its limitations in terms of macros, the number of columns, has few styles of graphics compared to Excel. The documents in LibreOffice seem to be slower to open.

Harlan from Roofing contractor

Its Free!

The best benefeit of Libre Office is that it is a free download and free to use. For a small buisness it helps to save on the start up costs of an office. I do not miss Microsoft office nor it's expense!

Pros

This Office software Product competes favorably against Microsoft Office. It can read Word document files as well as Excel Files and Power point files. You can also create files that The Microsoft Office suite can read

Cons

Although the suite of software is Free, The breadth of functionality is quite as good as the Microsoft office suite of software... But its Free!

WE just liked it

Cost

Nickey from PC ON SITE 247

The best alternative to Microsoft Office

My overall experience with LibreOffice has been very positive since this product cost nothing to own and has the same functionality of premium products such as Microsoft Office 365

Pros

LibreOffice has the look and feel of Microsoft Office without the price tag. LibreOffice looks similar to Microsoft word and it's functionality is the same.

Cons

I have no con since this software is free and it works well for everyone that I recommend it to. I would recommend as a MS Office alternative

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

Because it has more support and more updates.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

Free software with the same functionality

Libre Office Review

One of the most important business problems that I have seen my company resolve by using Libre Office is that we are able to utilize Libre Office at the fullest capabilities and resolve customer tickets much faster; because before it was time consuming to copy the file from the server and paste them in my local PC and then open them via excel, but with Libre Office is FREE to use and downloading the application is simple and fast. I would recommend other users who have not used Libre Office to use it before purchasing other competitor Office applications such s MS office which is pricy.

Pros

Libre Office is free to use on any platform of PC, what I like about Libre Office is that it consist of the 4 major applications that MS Office would charge a fortune in this day in age; Libre Office has word, powerpoint, excel, and Access; In Libre Office the application naming is different they had it at Writer, Calc, Imporess, Base for data base; even though the naming of the application is different compared to MS office or Google Applications, Libre Office has the same features as you would for writing a document, making a powerpoint, creating excel sheets, and developing a database; same features but FREE. Libre Office makes it easy to use and there is no need to learn tutorials on how to use Libre Office because I have seen the same generic icons across other applications. I am using Libre Office in my day to day activities for work purposes as well as to open and view client docs and financials and etc. our systems team has installed Libre Office in our servers so we can easily open and view documents mostly excel docs.

Cons

I have not had any issues using Libre Office

Suhailah from 7-Eleven Malaysia

Cheap document creation software

Even though LibreOffice is free to be use, this software is often updated by the community to make it better and to have more feature and tools. I really have a great experience working with this software.

Pros

LibreOffice offer a free to use account, also with premium account that start as little as USD0.10 per month. It has every document type that Ms Office has, like spreadsheet and and word. It also has a text search function that let me to search content on the document easily without having to skimming thru all the text manually.

Cons

One of thing that i thing thing this software lacks is, they don't have a feature to convert the document to other format type like PDF file format. Sharing the file need to be done manually, as there are no cloud storage offered thus i need to use third-party cloud storage service to share it.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

LibreOffice is free and has more option and type of document that can be created in this software.

Opeyemi from Blessed Academy, okuokoko

libreoffice review

Pros

This document editing app is simply the best i have ever used. i came across this application as an alternative to the mainstream software when i decided to try Linux and since then i have never gone back. The software is lightweight, easy to use, feature rich, a plethora of helpful options and most of all, it is free. Open source; this software as against the other popular options does not make its users wait a very long time for updates and the regular updates that comes to this software is as a result of how other people with software development knowledge can add features they thought are missing and on and on it goes until the software gets to the very top on the chart of document editing softwares. Spell check integration; what makes writing fun on the libre office is not only the fonts and the many options that aids productivity but also the spell check integration and the uniqueness of this spell checker is the fact that it is not only limited to the writer app, it can be judiciously used in every of the softwares embedded in the libreoffice suite. Cross platform support; finding out that libreoffice is not only limited to the linux operating system heightened my interest even more as having it on the windows platform and on macos means i can do away with the paid alternative i had been putting up with for years now.

Cons

is there something i don't like about this software? The answer is no, i love every bit of it as it handles all the task i throw at it as a writer.

Eduardo from Tigo Honduras

A spreadsheet software that interprets data from different software

I solve an essential task in my work, the calculations. I use LibreOffice spreadsheets to create quotation documents, as well as budgets. Also, we benefit from the fact that it is a free software for which you do not have to pay any license.

Pros

LibreOffice is easy to use and allows me to make any calculation easily. This software is essential to manage sales or purchases in my organization, since I can keep all the data sorted. On the other hand, it is free software, so you save a lot of money that costs a license of a spreadsheet software. Also, I also like that it has Excel support, so I can open the same documents in both programs without the documents changing their structures.

Cons

I cannot criticize software that gives me totally free features and that are fundamental to my daily work.

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

LibreOffice is a free software, so it did not generate expenses for the purposes we are using.

Petr from OKAY s.r.o. - Jena nábytek

Industry: Wholesale

advantageous variant for microsoft office

I have been using the software in parallel with microsoft office since 2013 and since the older versions I have been satisfied with the functionality of the program, which is definitely clearer than the new versions of microsoft office.

Pros

We use the software on Linux computers (due to faster data processing). The financial savings are great, we saved a significant amount on licenses, which could be invested in other software. Thanks to Linux, another advantage is the processing speed, by which I mean mainly the base and calc program.

Cons

In its current form, version 6.4 can be criticized, the software is completely comparable to Microsoft Office, support also works without problems. The only problem is that employees have to learn it (mostly they know microsoft office).

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

The main reason was the price and also the ability to use the program on computers where Linux is installed.

Abel from Score Capital S.L.

Libre office is the best free alternative in the market

I totally recommend this product, I am a faithful follower of free software and I believe that this is one of the best indispensable tools that an office for making all kinds of digital documents has little to envy to other products with very high costs.

Pros

Of the best tools to make office documents of all kinds and for free, it has a continuous update service and a large community collaborating in this project. Simple to install and very easy to use since it looks a lot like other paid services that have a very high cost and in this case libreoffice is completely free.

Cons

The biggest problems I have seen in this software is that for computers with few resources it is quite heavy and very old versions of the product are required to avoid the high consumption of resources in the system.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

Microsoft is a very expensive technology and requires reluctant subscriptions in this case.

Irfan from DatumSquare IT Services

Best Free alternative of MS Office - Plus great option to use for Linux User

Its my daily routine as a Linux user to use LibreOffice because of its extensive features and because most of the times clients use MS Office so I can easily open and edit files sent by my clients to me using LibreOffice. Great free and opensource alternative as I said before to MS Office

Pros

- One of the major benefit of LibreOffice is cross platform availability because it is available on Linux, Windows and Mac. Because I am a Linux user so I am using LibreOffice since long time and it has great features just like Ms Office does - Completely free and full feature which is a huge plus. Also Ms Office documents can easily be opened and edited using LibreOffice too - A huge opensource community uses LibreOffice and because of it there are a lot of templates available for Word and Impress (MS PowerPoint equivalent). - It also supports free plug-ins ans using these plug-ins core functionality can be extended - You can convert documents to PDF very easily like on one click which is great especially because its totally free

Cons

- On opening MS Office files sometimes little layout issues can occur for Word and Spreadsheets - No Outlook and OneNote equivalent available which is kind of an issue for Linux Users like myself - For MS Office users or other beginners it can be difficult to learn some of the advanced features of LibreOffice

Praveen from SLIIT

A free and powerfull office alternative to microsoft office products

Overall, this is a great software suite for office. There is hardly anything that you can find fault in and it offers almost everything that is offered by the premium options. On top of everything else, it is completely free. It is a truly great software and I recommend it very highly. You might end up never paying for an office suite again.

Pros

LibreOffice is a full suite of office software including products for editing documents, presentations, spreadsheets, databases and vector graphics that are on par with what other competitors offer. On top of that, it's completely free! Even for commercial use. It's compatible with all microsoft file formats such as .word , .ppt etc. Although this product is free, you will not see advertisements and there is no hidden paywalls. There is a great team of developers behind it which ensures you are constantly updated with the latest features that are on par with premium softwares such as those from Microsoft. The user interface will be not what you are used to if you are switching from Microsoft office, but it's not a deal breaker as you will quickly get used to it.

Cons

There is no cloud storage available if you relied on cloud syncing capabilities of your previous office suite. But this can be easily solved by manually uploading your documents or setting up something like Dropbox or Google Drive for your computer. There are also less templates compared to Microsoft Office but you have the option to find and manually install them from the internet.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

Office 365 is expensive and I have to pay continuously. LibreOffice offers almost everything that Office 365 does and its free and open source. It's a great software.

Teresa from RetireeGifts,Com & CreationbyTL

LibreOffice is a great alternative to Microsoft Word

LibreOffice have everything I need. I use the spreadsheet module, I use there various templates, like creating a business card with a logo. I will not switch

Pros

I love LibreOffice and use everyday. You don't have to cloak up your system with software you do not want like PowerPoint or Excel. LibreOffice already have a spreadsheet embedded in there software and it's does everything that Microsoft do.

Cons

I really don't see many cons other then it ugly looking. It gives you everything you need to type a document and even a spreadsheet. Now if you need to do a powerpoint or a database then LibreOffice do not have that options and you would need a alternative

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

Take up to much resources on your computer and will not allow you to delete the software (like powerpoint) you don't want.

Radoslav from eSoftware

LibreOffice - create your all documents with ease

I have been using the software in my work when I was Junior. On the machine I have been working there was an install of the LibreOffice. I found it pretty cool and useful for some kind of needs. I was able to create some documents and graphics that I needed. I was also able to open MS Office files, which most of our company used - that helped me not to have the need to convert the document in order to open it. I think the software supports small business needs and personal needs - when in school or University. So for everyone with that needs, I pretty recommend it because even it is open software it gives you a lot of features that can make your documents very cool.

Pros

I found it cool because of: 1. It is an open-source software. It is free and you can use it how you want for creating your powerful documents. 2. For me, LibreOffice includes applications that are enough for working - like software for creating documents, presentations, sheets with calculations and creating databases for your needs. 3. Its design is very intuitive - I think this is one of the most important features when you need to do your job fastly and without sparing much time on understanding how to work with the app. 4. There is support for opening many types of documents, even those from the MS Office, also PDF Documents. This feature makes it helpful in order to open documents that do not have the need to be created by the product you use. 5. There are many different types of extensions that you can customize with your needs. 6. Easy to install and use within groups of people.

Cons

I think the product is quite good for its features. However, if you think about using it as for your business needs, I think it won't do your best job. There is no support. There are also no value-added features that can be powerful for your business. However, if you have a small starting business, you can try organizing your documents. Also, it is very cool for study purposes, where you do not need that type of support and many features.

David from Religious Institutions

Industry: Medical Devices

Microsoft Office alternative worth checking out

We originally chose LibreOffice because it seemed to be the closest to which we were familiar. My wife (long-term MS Word user with a Master's degree) struggled finding the functions she needed as opposed to how she did it in Word and got very frustrated. We tried it for probably a month before switching back to Office 365

Pros

All of the fairly simple functions of MS Word are here, too. Even some of the medium-complex functions are included if you know how to find them. Never really got as far as needing the advanced functions so not sure about those.

Cons

We had some compatibility issues with other documents created in MS Word or other apps and then discovered that the version we were using had some goofy defaults that allowed this compatibility to happen (as I recall).... it cleared up after we adjusted the settings but it probably shouldn't have been this way.

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

Seemed to be the simplest to learn based on how close the functions were similar to MS Word and MS Excel

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

When I retired, my "free" copy of Office 365 my employer provided expired so I wanted to find a low or no-cost alternative to save money.

Jennie from J.F. Posthumus

Industry: Writing and Editing

Free Office Software

Overall, LibreOffice is a good software to install locally if you don't want to pay the price of MS Office, or if you don't want something cloud-based like the Google Suite. For a free product that doesn't have ads (a major bonus, by the way), you can't go wrong. I would definitely recommend this product for anyone on a limited or no budget. Or if you don't want to go with Office for whatever reason.

Pros

The best part about LibreOffice is it's free. It will do pretty much everything you could want a word processor to do. The rest of the Office Suite is on par with MS Office and most of the other free products available. It isn't cloudbased (like the Google Suite) so if you're wanting something locally installed, this is a great option. The setup is similar to MS Office, so switching between the two products isn't too confusing or difficult. Obviously there are some difference, because of legalities (you can't just copy one software and rename it!) but there isn't enough difference to cause confusion. LibreOffice uses the same shortcuts as MS Office, so you don't even have to worry about learning new keyboard shortcuts. It offers all the usual tools, including tracking (which I think every author uses at one point or another).

Cons

There is a small difference in page count. So if you're going by page count, and not word count, you're going to run into some challenges. Also, LibreOffice has it's own save format, so you have to remember to choose the more common word doc extensions (.doc and .docx). You have to really search for a few features, but considering it's not a clone of MS Office, it's to be expected that not everything will be in the same place.

Jayne from Self

reliable, powerful, essential

I'm a consultant with nonprofits and work with clients all over the world, most using Microsoft products. We've been able to work together, sharing files and editing each other's work, very easily. Sharing files is a substantial part of my work, so it's essential I have a reliable tool.

Pros

What I love about this software is that it's free and of high quality. It looks and feels like any word processing, slide show presentation or spreadsheet software, including Microsoft's office products. It does everything I want it to do in terms of producing documents, creating presentations and crunching numbers. I can open old files created in other programs relatively easily, and I can save my material as a Microsoft file, which my clients usually prefer.

Cons

The support documentation is lacking, and the support forums often aren't helpful to those of us who are not software programmers and coders. I'm an end-user and need help focused on someone that is simply using the software for everyday office tasks - but often, I cannot figure out how to find that help. Also, saving a file as a Microsoft file often affects the layout - not in a good way. There also seems to be some accessibility issues - I created files for a client who told me this, but she couldn't easily explain what the problem was.

Danielle from Loorducation

Libre Office Review

Libre Office has been used to create essays, resumes, reference and recommendation letters. We have used Libre Office to make slide shows and fliers. It is very user friendly and useful.

Pros

LibreOffice is very comparable to Microsoft Office. It has everything that MS Office has. LibreOffice has the same bells and whistles as MS Office without paying. You can create awesome presentations and word documents that are the real deal.

Cons

The features of LibreOffice are just as good as MS Office. You can do it all. LibreOffice has professional features. I like using this software. The only con would be that it is not as widely used as it should be,

The price

LUCAS from Self Employed

Industry: Writing and Editing

Very solid free office suite. Transition from Microsoft Office requires an adaptation period

Very light and solid office suite, when used by itself. If working with colleagues or clients that use a different suite, requires some preparation and the habit of saving documents in a few different formats, if the user wants to be sure.

Pros

Very light and fast office suite, constantly makes security saves while you work on the documents. In the case you have a blackout or your computer is suddenly turned of for any reason, its recovery feature never failed to restore the archives. If transitioning from ofher software suites, expect to need some time to get used to the placement of tools, and the way formatting works. Usually works better than I would expect on computers with weaker hardware.

Cons

Probably, the main nuisance is the need to save documents in two or three formats to guarantee they will be opened by software from the other office suites. Also, for the later stages of work, when changing platforms, it is recommended to also save the document in pdf, as changing from Libreoffice to Microsoft Office can result in loss of formatting, comments, highlights or other features. Evidently, this is not an issue with Libreoffice, as it is a cross-platform situation, but this should be taken into consideration

Jason from Self employed

Industry: Graphic Design

Great software

I use LibreOffice's word processor to draft documents and reports. And I use the spreadsheet software to manage my sales and inventory. In general, it's one of the first pieces software I install on all of my computers.

Pros

LibreOffice is free and comes with all the standard office applications you'll need.

Cons

Some of the menus are hidden at first until you configure them, compared to OpenOffice which has them available by default. Also incorporating a database in to your spreadsheets has a learning curve.

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

I chose LibreOffice over OpenOffice because it receives more frequent updates (Libre is a fork of Open.) And I chose it over WordPerfect and Office 365 because of the price point and the lower system requirements.

Bethany from Underground House of Prayer

Just like Microsoft Word

Libre Office has been amazing for me personally and for my organization. I love that it is free and I love all of the functions it provides.

Pros

Libre Office is free and offers all of the same types of programs as Microsoft office does. It is so similar to Microsoft Office that it was easy to learn and easy to learn all the functions it offers.

Cons

We are satisfied customers! There is nothing that we would say as a negative after almost 5 years of using it on a daily basis.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

I switched because my Microsoft Office program was out of date and I heard about Libre from a family member. I tried it because it was free and offered the same functions and have loved it ever since.

LibreOffice is my go to word processing solution every time

I use LibreOffice in my business and for personal use, in fact I encourage my friends and family to install and use the program. It does everything MS Office does and more and is easy to use. In my opinion its the Best free alternative to MS Office and I don't miss a thing.

Pros

I"m always using LibreOffice on my desktop, its a suitable and free alternative for Microsoft Office. The things I love about LibreOffice is it ability to use plugins aka extensions that enhances its functionality. There are language and translation extensions, Dictionary extensions, Clip Arts extensions, Templates for calender, formating etc. LibreOffice also has features which allow the user to export documents in multiple format e.g. PDF and even .doc plus its own format which is .odt LibreOffice also opens documents of other formats such as .doc, .xls. Basically anything from Microsoft Office The Interface is very similar to that of Microsoft Office so in my opinion there is no learning curve. In fact I remember once working in Calc where I was plugging away and forgot I wasn't using Excel I can do everything in LibreOffice that I would do in Microsoft Office and more and remember LibreOffice Is free Through the use of an extension I can save documents in multiple formats I can save my documents on Google Drive and this is a built in feature LibreOffice takes much less space on my hard drive than that popular commercial word processing software

Cons

There is nothing about LibreOffice that I dislike

Daniel from Industrial Manufacturing and Supplies

Industry: Industrial Automation

Quality, Ease of Use in a free package.

I fully recommend it, I have been working for more than 10 years since it was called openoffice. It used it all along my College and now in my work.

Pros

I've been using libreoffice since it was Openoffice. It has all of the features of other non free options. It is very easy to use, customizable and stable. It is a clear example of how collaboration between developers and community can make awesome free things.

Cons

None, I simply like all features. It is a very complete suite including, spreadsheet, document writer, drawings, etc etc.

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

It is free and very powerful.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

Cause I switched to linux and there was no microsoft office option for it.

Gihan from People's Bank

LibreOffice, free & open to all

LibreOffice is a powerful office type application that has modern and fully featured tools. Best thing is it is an open and free software for anyone also who aren't rich for buy a software. LibreOffice works with most operating systems such as Windows,Mac,Linux etc. There are many apps in this that we need in file editing like Writer(text formatting),Calc(data analysing),Impress(presentation),Draw(painting) and such other apps. So we can edit texts with many features,easily analysing data and presentations with media rich contents and and others.When we documenting files there is a feature named automatic spell check that corrects our typing words. So we don't have worry about some mistakes.Calc is really easy to understand and work with it.There are so many styles and tools for presentations in Impress.So many tools to work with Draw to design graphics. Because of these tools we can edit our office files completely and professional.Also there are some problems regarding LibreOffice.Sometimes some file types doesn't match with this application,so documents get confused.And also I think that still the user interface not match with modern office types.It should be developed.With these modifications LibreOffice becomes a good office application.I highly recommend LibreOffice for document purposes.

Pros

Free and open software. Working with most operating systems(Windows,Mac,Linux). Impeccable documents with automatic spell check. Support for many file types (doc,ppt,xlsx,etc.). Easy to use and have multiple features.

Cons

User interface still not applicable with modern type. Sometimes some file types not adjusting with LibreOffice(spreadsheet docs,Impress presentation files,etc.)

Amanda from Cybernet1

LibreOffice is our go to office suite for Docs

To get LibreOffice at no cost is amazing. At work we suggest Libre Office to all our customers if they want a way to read, edit or create office documents. When customers buy a new computer and they are on a budget Libre Office is the only way to go.

Pros

I love that I can open other documents from other software companies with LibreOffice without having to pay an arm and a leg. The spreadsheet program is just as easy to use as excel. The appearance is a bit different but as with any software I got familiar with it and now I don't have to think about it. I was able to use the spreadsheet program when exporting names and address from one program to another and it worked perfectly.

Cons

So far I have not found a least. I like it so much I use it at work and home.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

The cost. Libre Office was free and user friendly.

Kevin from eCommunities

Great software, just a few rough edges

We've been using Libre office for many years, and open Office prior to that, and it has been a wonderful, stable, effective replacement for the costly Microsoft Office.

Pros

This software package has every feature you would expect from a top-shelf Office Suite and is fully integrated from app to app, able to put the power of all features into your documents and sheets. And it has the added benefit of full support for all Microsoft document formats, on top of its default Open document format.

Cons

Because this is an open-source product, and constantly evolving, the user interface has gone through a number of major overhauls and is changing often. Overall the UI is usable, and somewhat intuitive, however it is generally rough around the edges and not as attractive as It's bigger competitors like Microsoft Office.

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

Libra office is a fork of open office, and seems to get more releases and features than open Office.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

Microsoft Office, and Office 365 are quite costly, especially for multiple seats, and open Office / Libre office provided a great alternative for free.

Luiz Henrique from UFERSA

One of the best text editor...

t is a free and affordable program. Use to solve just about any problem and write all the college assignments I need. It's practical, intuitive, essential features for those who need to save time with a busy schedule. Any other program can easily read your files without problems, it is extremely compatible with other platforms.

Pros

I use the tool practically every day. Extremely practical and intuitive, it sets up the best text editor I know and have ever used. Its navigation bar is always well distributed throughout updates, and its features are always optimized. And to top it all off, we still have the powerful text recovery tool for unexpected incidents, always avoiding major inconveniences. Here we have the definitive tool for making, editing and creating text. I recommend!

Cons

Sometimes it happens that the program crashes. It is not a usual and recurring problem, but it can happen. Also, depending on the size of the document, it may take a long time to execute and sometimes crash during the process. Any program functionality that requires more processing, if the machine is not ready, you may experience problems.

Ramon from Allstate

The best alternative to Microsoft Office

All of the functionality of Microsoft Office, but for free. This is as good as it gets.

Pros

It does literally everything that Microsoft Office can do, but it is free to use. Sometimes converting .doc files to Google docs will give formatting errors, but this almost never happens with LibreOffice.

Cons

The collaboration tools aren't as perfect as their google alternatives, and sometimes it is hard to find the exact shape or command that you want to use, but these are all things that you have to figure out with any software.

Reasons for Switching to LibreOffice

Google docs has formatting issues or inconsistencies when converting .doc files.

GERARD IAN from Lone Wolf Tech LLC

Libreoffice Is a Robust Set of Office Automation Applications

I like that the LibreOffice software supports several other document types. In particular, an accessible document format called OpenDocument Format or ODF, PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Publisher formats. The FOSS package is constructed on the foundation of OpenOffice technology, which makes it an efficient heir to the obsolete Open Source Office platform.

Pros

LibreOffice is a robust set of office automation applications that aim to unleash a creative and productivity-driven environment for charitable organizations, homes, companies, and public sector agencies worldwide. And at the end of the day, the office-based suite also delivers a comprehensive portfolio of plug-ins. Furthermore, it offers some layouts that empower end-users to improve the performance of their workflow and generate more documents more swiftly and wisely.

Cons

The user interface can be a little confusing at some points in time. At the same time, it only takes a bit of effort for one to familiarize themselves with the UI.

Reasons for Choosing LibreOffice

With a clean and easy-to-use user interface and functionality-rich features, LibreOffice can generate meticulous and highly professional documentation of all kinds: engineering diagrams, financial and marketing communications, leaflets, prospectuses, thesis work, and correspondence.

Mack from Mack Skinner Technical Support

Industry: Libraries

Best MS Office Alternative

Not only do you benefit from the initial cost of the program (as opposed to MS Office) you also benefit due to free updates. Sharing LibreOffice documents of all types with Microsoft users has proven to be flawless, with few or any very minor compatibility issues.

Pros

LibreOffice is a great alternative to costly Microsoft Office suite. It is compatible with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents and is completely free. It utilizes a standard toolbar as opposed to the "ribbon" used by current Microsoft products, which may make it easier for some users to adapt. In addition, the Linux version of LibreOffice is the finest office suite available for Linux users. Ability to export files to .pdf format is a big plus.

Cons

While the default file formats are fine, if you are sharing documents with Microsoft users you will need to either use the "save as" option to change the default format, or change the program's defaults to those of Microsoft products, i.e. .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, etc. Also, the product does not contain any built in clip-art, but such clip-art is readily available elsewhere.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,138 reviews