All Microsoft OneNote Reviews

Keeping track of notes for your 50 weekly meetings is easier with OneNote

Nicholas

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Reviewed May 2022

OneNote: a great foundation for collaboration

OneNote has become central to our documentation at our organization. Especially after the integration between OneNote and Office 365 Groups and then Teams, the addition of the Collaboration Space and Documentation Library has helped us create central repositories that can be worked on simultaneously and frequently. Administration can collaborate and share materials and use the private spaces for groups members to take their own notes or have individual content distributed to them to work on or reflect upon. I love this product and since growing with it in my career have also expanded to use it in my personal life for notetaking, organization, and planning.

PROS

The notebook structure was very appealing to me when I first started using OneNote. Once I unbound myself from the concept of creating everything to translate to a printed letter size piece of paper it really took off. You can create your notebook and its contents to directly translate to what if it had to be printed. But you can also transform it to a fully interactive collection. With links to various other locations in the same notebook, other locations and materials on the internet, and even embedding videos and other documents directly in the pages of the notebook you can make the reach of the content presented to extend beyond the boundries of the document itself.

CONS

The different versions - When OneNote transitioned to the web, it was during the focus on the Metro UI in Windows 8 and it suffered for it. The simplicity of what the web version could do was crippled by the ability of the internet browsers at the time. Over time it has increased in parity between the desktop version and the web, however - the Metro UI designed app has lingered and its design has stayed truer to the web version than the original desktop version. It is getting harder to find the desktop version that has content central and navigation to the left, top, and right sides. The web, mobile app, and "for windows 10" versions make navigation subjectively more complex when you have extensively robust notebooks.

Reason for choosing Microsoft OneNote

It proved to be the most logical and user friendly to translate hierarchical structures of documentation, collaboration, and communication the way we needed to get the most buy in and participation from the community.

Zakau

Real Estate, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2024

I use this app almost everyday!

My overall experience has been a really good one. I’ve used this app for the past two years now, and haven’t had issues with documentation, storage, or note taking, anyone looking to stay organized and on top of their tasks, I think this is a good app for them.

PROS

Once you get the hang of how to use it, it really can make your day-to-day activities so much easier. I found that when there’s something that I need to remember or a specific note that I want to take I just quickly note it down in the app. Overall it helps me stay organized!

CONS

My least favorite thing about the app is that it’s not the most user-friendly. I’ve had many colleagues tell me that they had never used it simply because they either didn’t know how or weren’t sure what it was for. I think it could do a lot better if the interface was made to be more user-friendly.

Karlie

Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

OneNote Difficulties

PROS

I like that the color of the icon is purple.

CONS

I struggle to determine what the need for OneNote is. I have tried to use it numerous times across different computers and I feel as though every time I use it the application it fails, freezes or does not perform like anticipated

Galaad

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 201-500 employees

Reviewed January 2024

A simple tool to gather all my note in one place

I'm a supply chain analyst. I use Microsoft OneNote to gather informations from multiple source shared with me (mail, web, presentation, call) about supply chain operation. I also use it to organize my note regarding coding and datavisualization.

PROS

I like the intuitiveness of Microsoft OneNote. I can copy-paste from multiple source (web, presentation, screenshot) while note taking. And it keep me organized in a fast-pacing work environnement. I also like the bulleting icon and tab it feels like a physical note taking tool. Which help me a lot switching from pen and paper.

CONS

Sometime I find it difficult to format my note when it's relating to code. I really wish Microsoft make it connected for its PowerBI langage (M langage and DAX).

Reasons for switching to Microsoft OneNote

I wasn't able to search easily accross multiple file. Managing all the files became too tidious.

Melissa

Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Versatile and Easy To Use

PROS

I like how versatile and customizable it is in terms of creating different folders to take notes and keep documents. As someone who isn't a manual note taker, I like that I can keep my meeting notes organized and on a digital platform while keeping recurring documents I need to access on a regular basis easy to find.

CONS

Nothing at the moment. I've been using OneNote since 2016 both for school and now for work.

Jeemish

Computer Software, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed May 2023

Great tool for taking notes

It’s a fantastic digital note-taking tool and capture all my docs, images, and other content in one place and organize it

PROS

Good organization system, easy to setup, rich formatting features, easy to print and a great mobile app.

CONS

Limited exporting options to other formats and less features in mobile app as compared to desktop version.

Vigdalia

Legal Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed April 2024

Microsoft OneNote to forget nothing!

Microsoft OneNote is my loyal friend in my daily routine, not only while I'm working but also when I'm studying. I write my notes and organize information on files, knowing that anytime I need them, I'll get them right away. It's always a win-win tool!

PROS

I love Microsoft OneNote a lot, from its help in taking notes about the tasks and information I need to keep track of to the beautiful colors I can apply to my files. Yes, I know. It may sound nerdy, but this is the way I am.

CONS

Nothing; Microsoft makes everything useful and nice. I started using Microsoft OneNote a few years ago and never got disappointed.

Karolina

Retail, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed March 2024

Useful and keeps your notes organized

PROS

OneNote is quite intuitive tool and easy to work with. It helps me during the meetings - I can make lists of things that I wanted to say and also note some comments, insights and conclusions. You can also paste some screenshots if they are neccessary. All changes are automatically sent to the cloud.

CONS

For now I didnt have any bad experiance with OneNote

Ishraque

Education Management, 1 employee

Using of Microsoft onenote

PROS

Easy to copy from webpage and edit it along with I use to review the document in different languages and can also hear it properly as well as I use pen tablet to write different mathematical equations and solve it.

CONS

I think it uses lots of space in the mobile as well as in computer due to which it consumes a lots of space of onedrive storage.

10,000+ employees

A Great Tool for Meetings

Overall experience with Microsoft OneNote has been very good. I would highly recommend it to other businesses.

PROS

Since using OneNote to track meeting minutes, I have found it easier to collaborate with coworkers and check back on items that have happened or air in the process of happening.

CONS

At the upload of adjustments are edits are slow.

10,000+ employees

OneNote Experience

PROS

Helping people to keep their notes and align on the business objectives, including meeting agenda, records, and next step actions.

CONS

Creating a document and managing its layout and structure are not convenient compare to MS Word or even PowerPoint. Keeping my notes tidy and structured need some extra attention.

Erin

Medical Devices, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed February 2022

OneNote - Unified Resource

Overall, using OneNote for our team document/process library has been helpful because it's a central place for a wide variety of information and documents that were formerly in many different places. It can sometimes be tricky to decide how to organize the notebooks because there are so many section and page options, and sometimes content is relevant to more than one section - however, the search function is usually quite reliable.

PROS

The search features of OneNote are very useful. I like using OneNote for my meeting notes, as they are easily searchable and I can organize them in various ways. It's also nice to use OneNote for our team process manual/helpful notes/new hire checklists/etc. We use OneNote as a centralized document library because it is easy to search and share content.

CONS

We run into frequent sync issues with shared notebooks, so it can be challenging to know if all team members are seeing the same content. Not sure if this is a PC issue, a security issue or a OneNote issue - our IT help desk offers various solutions that work for some users but not for others. It would be nice if the sync error notification was more obvious to let you know you're viewing outdated content.

Reasons for switching to Microsoft OneNote

We were using SharePoint just as a file folder so we didn't have the ability to add notes/information if it wasn't in its own document (like a word doc) - OneNote allows us to add information related to a document on the same page.

Drew

Defense & Space, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed November 2023

Microsoft OneNote Review

PROS

Great for taking notes, especially in a work environment. If it is integrated to your Microsoft Outlook email it is easy to transfer over meetings and notes between the two. You can also flag tasks that you need to follow up on in OneNote and then that will transfer to your To Do list in your Microsoft Outlook. You can easily search your notes using a few keywords and you can tag your notes and search them that way. The way you can breakout your notebooks into sections and those sections into pages really makes organizing your notes easy. You can also create templates that let you easily format your pages. Overall this is my go to note taking app both for personal use and work use.

CONS

You need to buy the whole Microsoft office to use OneNote to it's full potential.

Reasons for switching to Microsoft OneNote

I bought Microsoft 365 and it just was a better fit than Evernote.

Betsy

Photography, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2022

Not my favorite for note compilation

I used it for managing email templates, project notes, and the like. I didn't like having to sync with my other devices and having things be changed in two places = sync issues.

PROS

it comes with office 365, so I used it...as it was already on all the computers I had. I didn't have to install another piece of software or pay for another subscription.

CONS

Your data is stored in a clunky "onenotes" notebook file -- and it is (or was?) difficuly to sync to other devices

Reason for choosing Microsoft OneNote

functionality was already in my office 365 subscription.

Reasons for switching to Microsoft OneNote

this was preinstalled. I wanted one less software item on my computer

Mohamed Salah

Management Consulting, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2023

My Personal Experience with Microsoft OneNote

Overall, Microsoft OneNote is an incredibly useful and powerful note-taking tool. It is versatile, customizable, and feature-rich, and is perfect for any user who needs a comprehensive way to capture and organize their thoughts and ideas.

PROS

Microsoft OneNote is an incredibly versatile and user-friendly note-taking program that allows users to quickly and easily capture notes and ideas. The platform is highly customizable and allows for a wide range of features such as templates, text formatting, password protection, and more.

CONS

Despite its many positive features, Microsoft OneNote can be a bit difficult to navigate and can be overwhelming for new users. Additionally, certain features require a subscription in order to access them.

Reasons for switching to Microsoft OneNote

Microsoft OneNote stands out amongst its alternatives due to its wide range of features, its versatility, and its user-friendly interface. It is also highly customizable and can be tailored to any user’s needs, making it a great choice for any note-taking needs.

1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed August 2022

OneNote for Tutors

Overall, I would like to recommend everyone to use this app to prepare your notes. It's very handy and versatile.

PROS

There are may features of Onenote which makes it useful like: 1. Clippers, which allow to move data from any browser to OneNote. 2. Can be used in multiple devices simulatneosly. 3. Allows to add Multimedia. 4. Doesn't have formatting contraint. 5. Document Management , division on basis of subject, Notebook, Pages. 6. Flexible formatting option. 7. Works very well in laptop, pc, android tab and mobile. 8. Can use Digital Pen.

CONS

The Synchronisation with cloud features lags a lot. Many times doesn't works properly. Have to click sync many times and have to wait if internet is slow.

Reason for choosing Microsoft OneNote

I have used limited version of other notemaking softwares but was not at all satisfied with them, so decided to try OneNote and yeah it was a good decision.

1 employee

Reviewed April 2022

Worklife organization = peace of mind

Migrated from Evernote a few years ago and never looked back. Keeps my work life organized and in sync across all my devices!

PROS

It's free and offers all the tools to keep your work life organized. I use it daily to organize my tasks (great and easy to use ToDo list features!), to keep and organize notes from meetings and to write memos or analysis of tasks I perform. The Notebook>Tabs>Notes organization is simple and effective.

CONS

The notebook>tabs>notes interface could be rethinked. As it is, it is functional, no doubt, but I can help feeling that some other views of this greater organization of your notes could be improved. It would also be great if double clicking to tray icon opened the app instead of the quick note shortcut (it can be changed in the options thou). Small grievances.

Reasons for switching to Microsoft OneNote

Evernote did a big bait and switch with plans on users. Didn't like it, got out.

Lex

Computer Software, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed July 2021

Not my first choice

I need to concede, that at the outset I had numerous issues getting myself set up with one note, however from that point forward, it has been an outright lifeline. The entirety of my archives are in one region, I can get to them from each PC I own and Id need to say I use it regular, I in a real sense couldn't abandon utilizing this program.

PROS

Microsoft OneNote is loaded with numerous highlights that go past taking notes; it likewise gives you a few different ways to change pictures over to message. For instance, the OCR instrument permits you to snap a photo of an archive, business card, flyer or whiteboard, then, at that point extricate that content. You would then be able to save that content in OneNote, Microsoft Word or Standpoint. OCR's productivity relies upon a few elements. These incorporate picture quality, the intricacy of the characters it is examining and the intelligibility of the transcribed notes. So consistently make a point to twofold check in the event that it perceives everything effectively. Regardless of whether OCR doesn't get each letter, it is as yet a vital life hack, particularly for organizations and entrepreneurs.

CONS

Matching up can take some time , Unacceptable portable application, Average web cutting augmentation

Already had an account

Reviewed May 2022

Take the first step to a cleaner, less cluttered life.

OneNote is one of the most popular note-taking apps on the market, and for good reason. It offers a robust feature set, a wide variety of integrations with other Microsoft services and web services, and it’s free. The app has been around for years and received several updates over time. However, OneNote’s biggest update in recent memory arrived in 2018 with the release of Microsoft 365 — an updated version of Office 365 that includes all the latest features from the company’s productivity suite. With this new version, OneNote got a makeover and now looks more modern than ever before. It also brought a lot of new features to the table that make it even better than before.

PROS

It gives you an easy way to keep all your notes in one place. It’s available on every device, so you can access your notes no matter where you are. You can organize your notes any way that makes sense to you—by topic, date or even tags, like #work or #personal.

CONS

Lack of Customization - It's not possible to customize any of your notes or notebooks in OneNote which can make it difficult if you want something more advanced than what it offers out of the box. Microsoft OneNote doesn't have any open APIs or integrations with third-party apps like Evernote does.

Reasons for switching to Microsoft OneNote

Brought Microsoft office subscription.

Jessica

Primary/Secondary Education, 201-500 employees

Reviewed October 2022

Powerful digital notebook for teachers and students

As mentioned, OneNote is an exceptional digital notebook resource for educators, making it easy to curate course materials, organize them into sections (or units), and share them with colleagues and students. The application is easy to use, and the onboarding learning curve is quite friendly - most of the features are intuitive. There are so many additional functions that more advanced users can explore to customize their notebooks. Especially with stylus functionality, OneNote replaces paper course materials as an interactive digital notebook that students can edit and keep forever without worrying about losing any paper. This has become an essential teaching tool for me as an educator and my preferred notetaking tool as a student.

PROS

OneNote is an amazing digital notebook for teachers and students. Teachers can create a living course workbook filled with learning resources, including diagrams, videos, and links to online sources. They can also create worksheets directly in OneNote or import an existing Word or PDF document into the notebook that students can edit. One of the best features of OneNote is how smoothly it works with tablets and tablet laptops. With a stylus, students can write and draw in their OneNote notebooks, making it feel like a paper notebook. OneNote also includes a suite of drawing tools that make it easy to draw and label diagrams and even graphs for math. The Class Notebook add-in makes it an even more powerful tool for teachers to manage their classes. A teacher can quickly look into each of their students' notebooks to assess work and leave feedback. Students can sync their OneNote notebooks and receive feedback immediately. With Teams, entire OneNote notebooks can be easily shared between colleagues, and collaboration is seamless.

CONS

The current OneNote desktop app no longer offers the ability to export pages as .one files, which makes it more difficult to send or attach individual pages. Rather, sharing can only be done through links, which sometimes run into challenges with sharing settings and others not being able to open the page. The inability to rename students at the teacher level also makes the "Review Work" function a bit less user-friendly when teachers try to mark them in alphabetical order. Finally, I would love to see more integration possibilities with other learning management systems.

Miguel

Graphic Design, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2018

All your notes in one place

OneNotres has been a part of my arsenal of tools for the enterprise environment. I have used it on a personal level as well. I have used both the loal and cloud version, choosing the cloud due to my ability to access from any device. You can also add a local copy, depending on your subscription level, and sync your online content to your local machine. This helps in keeping your data in 2 places at once.

PROS

Microsoft OneNotes offer a single place to enter, manage and access all your notes. It provides flexibility in how you organize your content. From simple note taking to more complex graphics and images, OneNotes lets you organize in efficient ways. The use of tags helps you find what you need across multiple notebooks, section and pages. No more having to navigate through complex and cumbersome folder hierarchies. OneNotes is a massive repository tool that takes the place of many other tools. Using OneNotes rids you of separate Tasks or To Do lists, file repositories, and even digital media. OneNotes lets you combine all your electronic files into a single place and manage it in a way that works for you. This level of flexibility is what gives OneNotes the power it has and its popularity.

CONS

OneNotes tend to have a different layout between the online version and the downloaded version. This might bring some confusion to some users. Microsoft is moving more towards the cloud, and until this becomes the norm and their downloadable applications can mimic the cloud experience, there might be a bit of a learning curve.

Nolan