All October CMS Reviews

Bozhidar

The best Laravel-based CMS

To make our web site about HR agency. There is a lot of SEO options, a lot of modules that can help you not start everything from 0

PROS

It`s very easy to use. The CMS is very flexible and intuitive. I`m using October since it was free, but for now is very affordable to pay and I continue to use the CMS. Strongly recommend to my developer friends.

CONS

It`s very easy to use it. I`m integrate the CMS in several different ways: From web site about road assistance, furniture site, HR Agency

Reason for choosing October CMS

Because is more stable and security!

Reasons for switching to October CMS

Because is more stable and security!

Adam

Reviewed November 2022

A good choice for a long time WordPress user

Overall they're somethings that our customers found not so convenient to switch from (visual editing ect) but the new ones we implemented this software for were happy to use it.

PROS

The ease of use of the software, a clean codebase that enables you to develop further features with more ease and with great readability. It's Laravel based so you get access to a lot of plugins that you can use.The team develops new set of useful features each new version - features that the users vote on OctoberCMS portal.

CONS

Sometimes the updates breake the current installation also because it's based on Laravel it can require you to switch to new PHP version when updating - which in itself isn't bad, but can require an code update to fir some changes in newer PHP versions.

Reason for choosing October CMS

Price tag and we did try it before.

Reasons for switching to October CMS

The previous software was bloated and getting slow, plus the availability to break thing by the customer in an easy way

MIchal

Good for some purposes

PROS

ease of use by end user, tailor, simplicity

CONS

documentation - not so many tutorials on tailor or how to make own plugins

Reason for choosing October CMS

i thought it will be easier to extend

Reasons for switching to October CMS

Because i want to be free in changes

Maria

Very satisfied after 7 years creating websites with October CMS

As a software company, October CMS is our platform of choice for any website necessity that can be fulfilled with a CMS. We have been using it for more than 5 years. Sometimes we scan the other offers on the market, but after testing a little we always decide to stick with it.

PROS

It offers a great flexibility and customization capabilities, the point where you have to say "ok, this cannot be done" is really far. And even then, usually you can find a workaround to achieve an acceptable solution.

CONS

I find it hard to find documentation about advanced features, the official documentation lacks some depth, the slack group is very useful to ask questions and receive help, but it's a shame that the answers get lost there, I'd prefer to have a good repository of questions/answers online.

Reason for choosing October CMS

We decided to use a Laravel-based CMS because it's a framework that we love for its elegance and power, and we choosed October CMS between Laravel based CMS because of the advanced admin panel features and easy of customization.

Renick

Laravel-based CMS made easy

We work since the beginning of OctoberCMS with it. We came from WordPress and Grave (Database-driven, and flat-file). And OctoberCMS is the best of both world. Quite fast, but also has all database strengths. It provides us a RAD environment to create web-based software for all our needs.

PROS

I love the underlaying Laravel foundation, and the easy-to-adjust backend forms. It just works. Well. I never had bigger trouble with updates (minding updating trouble with WordPress, Typo3, Magento....) which saves lots of time and money.

CONS

It still misses some features typical cms have. Like version control, a out-of-the-box blog boilerplate, migrations of content. But in theory, everything can be custom created by ourself.

Reason for choosing October CMS

It's open-source, was free to use, and now has a reasonable price-structure. It has consistent updates, doesnt break stuff, and just fits.

Reasons for switching to October CMS

Grav has a terrible ux for editing content.

Alexandre

Internet, 11-50 employees

Best CMS I've seen in the last decade

I'm an experienced web developper, more than 15 years of experience. Worked with Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla... October CMS is the best experience I could see since I do that Job.

PROS

Most of the things are intuitive. No need to install 50+ plugins to have base features. Theming is awesome, and you save lot of time compared to a standard laravel application. In fact, it allow us to do tailor made websites for the price of a template based wordpress website (ok, just a little more expensive).

CONS

Some elements are a bit less well designed or missing. The most missing feature to me is a page builder that would allow customer to edit their landing page content in a visual way. Or the file management widget that is confising between fileupload and media manager.

Reason for choosing October CMS

It's based on the laravel framework (PHP) which is the language I know the most.

Thanks for the review, Alexandre!

Martin

Best CMS system for the PHP (xAMP stack) based on Laravel

I am working with October for over 5 years, I converted from Wordpress CMS, because it was a really pain in ass. At first it wasn't hard to learn principes, and overall it is a much better and faster experience than wordpress.

PROS

- Easy of use, - Fast learning curve,- Based on Laravel - Page speed - Improvement team is not sleeping and doing very good work

CONS

There is no disadvantage for me now. Team is doing great work. Every problem was fast solved by the team. Also portal and talk at octobercms are doing great job for octobercms improvements.

Reason for choosing October CMS

I've tested a lot of CMS products, but October is based on Laravel, which is for me best PHP framework.

Reasons for switching to October CMS

Wordpress is very bulky, slow and very hard to administrate web sites. Plugins and themes are complicated and overkill to use it together.

Thanks for the great review, Martin!

Joe

October CMS is Best!

We're able to develop features extremely specific to clients' use cases with ease--it's a pleasure!

PROS

The documentation is straightforward for newer developers and for that reason it's easy to integrate into team development.

CONS

It's hard to find things that we don't like about October CMS.

Reasons for switching to October CMS

It was too difficult to develop very custom features with WordPress and at the time the overall architecture was antiquated. We still develop with WordPress for those clients who demand it, 9/10 projects we reach for October.

Yan

Government Administration, 1 employee

Why I Use October CMS in my Project

PROS

I really love the plugin infrastructure, it gives me so many options to build what my office needs.

CONS

I really hate when I need to customize how the User Interface component interact in Backend, althouth I rarely got this challenges. Let me give the example: when I need to create Point Of Sales Backend UI, I have 2 number fields and need to updating the other field based on these fields. Add then discount, tax fields etc.

Reasons for switching to October CMS

OctoberCMS gave me based platform to start any web based app I need.

Rostyslav

Real Estate, 1 employee

OCMS is perfect

I create various sites for: real estate, restaurants, hotels.

PROS

Highly customizable and extensible code and architecture

CONS

Everything is perfect. There are enough of features, especially in v2 and v3.

Reasons for switching to October CMS

Other CMS are poorly customizable if needed to extend admin panel or third-party plugins. It is possible to create a site of any type on OctoberCMS and create any functionality. Almost any whims of the client.

Devin

Design, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2022

Amazing Software, Integrates well with my workflow

Overall, this software has helped me build many many sites. It's been a breeze integrating it into everything I build.

PROS

Ease of setup, configurability, responsiveness of the team, and ability to adapt to any workflow

CONS

The documentation is sometimes missing on things that you can do with it.

Reasons for switching to October CMS

Ability to completely control the code.

Pedro

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed December 2022

Brazil keep using OctoberCMS ;)

I decide to work with October CMS in 2015 when I was reading about all features. I was on Rio de Janeiro Airport and I show to my partners in company. We implemented the CMS in 2015 and we don't have any major problems until today.

PROS

The administration panel. Amazing. Fast and flexible.

CONS

The October CMS is loosing compared to others CMSs on "Headless" approach.Build a Requests and auto documentation is the main key for us.

Reasons for switching to October CMS

The quick API headless setup got us.

Mihai

Computer Software, 1 employee

Very nice work!

Solved everything i was challenged to do by my customers.

PROS

Easy to use, quick development of new plugins.

CONS

In Media, missing a description of the image size detail. I have to open the file in a new tab to see that info.In backend, sometimes i need to group some fields in more that two columns (span: left|right|full).

Reasons for switching to October CMS

Offers me more speed in development.

Thanks for the review, Mihai!

Robin

Reviewed December 2022

Framework that can be used for any product.

PROS

Even when you don't need the CMS functionalility at all, you can use OctoberCMS for any SaaS application, CRUD operations, etc.

CONS

There were some bugs in the beginning. But these are already solved.

Reasons for switching to October CMS

More simple, faster, easier for developers.

Joe

Reviewed October 2022

A perfect tool for web developers to build fully customizable and manageable websites

Montana Banana uses OctoberCMS to build the majority of complex websites that our clients require. While we do use other tools such as WordPress for lower budget "brochureware" sites, we use OctoberCMS for all of our larger budget projects with complex business logic, custom site flow, API backends, and integrations with other systems.We have been using OctoberCMS solely for our advanced projects since 2017.

PROS

The backend interface provided by OctoberCMS is their "killer feature." Our developers love the plugin structure and power provided by the system being Laravel based, and our project managers and clients love the backend CMS.

CONS

Some of the boilerplate code and yaml files required to build plugins feels like it could be reduced.

Alexandru

Banking, 11-50 employees

Reviewed July 2023

Alex BSD

I enjoy it even when I need to do some workarounds just because the features and the final result are much better than the other CMS I've used.

PROS

I started using it from an early version and it evolved so much with very nice features!

CONS

Froala is ok overall, but I would like a better and more customizable richeditor.

Reason for choosing October CMS

Because of the ease of creating custom plugins and themes.

Stewart

Reviewed May 2023

great framework

I'm the CEO of a web development company. We have been using OctoberCMS for 5+ years and it is now one of our core frameworks that we use for custom web development. It has been a great tool for us.

PROS

It is the perfect balance of default features and flexibility to customize features when/where needed.

CONS

I honestly have no complaints. My developers all speak highly of this framework.

Neil