What are SmartVault users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using SmartVault software through verified user reviews

• icon"It has been great at helping us move to a more paperless environment. The best feature is the tight integration with Lacerte (it also integrates with ProSeries)."
  • icon"Product is easy to use and secure for clients. I like that you can send a direct link to documents."
  • icon"Ability to scale, Docusign integrations, ease of use, customer support. Great value for the price."
  • icon"A client opened its vault and saw identities of all clients -- in violation of IRS security requirements."
  • icon"There can be a little frustration when it comes to the search function of clients and their vaults."
  • icon"It's sometimes difficult if you have the same name clients."

Browse all SmartVault Reviews

• Have you used SmartVault and would like to share your experience with others?

Tammy

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Smartvault is aweome

Tracey

Awesome to add to my tech stack

My compliance department introduced SmartVault instead of google drive or another service. I couldn't be happier! And, the integration with docusign is awesome. My clients find it easy to work with .

Pros

It's an easy way to securely hold all of my clients documents. I LOVE that it works well with docusign. My clients find it easy to use.

Cons

If you cannot get in touch with customer service (everyone is busy!) they have FAQ's that I easily found what I was looking for!

My compliance department.

Well packaged Document Management System, well presented!

Overall, I have been very impressed by SmartVault. I was using Office 365 Business and was fed up that Sharepoint kept falling over for clients - I had set it up as groups to move documents around as I provide payroll services, but often I would get an email from the client saying not received or can't access. SmartVault integration has been very easy and clients have embraced - I think that for many it looks like IE tree set up for navigating makes it easier and that a desktop version is available for their use - a feature taken away by Microsoft - they feel they have greater control too. The current global pandemic has meant that the software has been a god send in maintaining client relations and service provision. I am pleased to have moved over and would recommend.

Pros

- Very user friendly and easy to navigate - Easy to set up and invite clients and give the appropriate access according to their status i.e. full for the company director down to folder or file specific - Easy to upload documents and great that it has a desktop version in addition to the online version. Clients like the Apple integration and the fact it works happily with MAC's as comfortably as non-MAC Windows PC's - Good support, though confusing when you get a US number for someone who lives in India to assist! - I'm a UK based company - Free set up and training assistance including full run through of the software - Unlimited Companies - Free access for clients - Templates for Accounts/Payroll etc save a lot of time for setting up year on year

Cons

- Integration with Outlook - this is hit and miss if it works and mine doesn't meaning I can't link email in - have been advised it is due to not having the full office suite, though I have and it still wouldn't integrate - A little expensive compared to other products, but it was best fit for the business

Reasons for switching to SmartVault

Sharepoint kept falling over and files would disappear or not be available.

Nic

April 2022

Great Software for Users and Clients

Excellent. Customer support is always easy to speak with and the software is a great fit for our company.

Pros

Simplicity for our internal users and our clients. Easy to organize files neatly in their respective folders for a clean presentation for clients.

Cons

Software still needs some small tweaks, but overall, I believe the developers put their hearts into the projects. Seems like any time there is something in the software that I think needs to be addressed, the staff comes out with an update and fixes it.

Edward

April 2022

Clumsy/confusing to use, and SmartVault will screw you on the way out the door.

Low end portal service that clients found difficult to use, and which we found more difficult to integrate into our business model as a document management system than we felt should be necessary.

Pros

I had high hopes for the platform. Clients found it difficult to use. It did provide a marginal level of flexibility for small clients/individuals. Larger clients had higher expectations than what was provided.

Cons

The pricing has become ridiculous in comparison to what is received. Price has doubled year to year??? Great punchline to this joke. SmartVault's cancellation policy is morally void. After getting hit with an unexpected doubling in cost year to year (after a significant increase the year before), I was informed on my renewal date that I could cancel my subscription and lose all access to the account, but SmartVault's policy was NOT to refund anything for the year subscription that they charged to my credit card, even though I would not have access to the service for the year. What a crock. SmartVault is an expensive, marginal portal service that is designed for the lower end of the market and set up to screw you on the way out. Beware.

Christos

Wouldn't use anything else

We are operating a paperless office and everything in the cloud, this is eco friendly as paper waste is minimal. Also all data is securely stored in a cloud so we do not have to worry about backups .

Pros

Possibly the most seamless cloud-based solution for accountants. There are a few ways to work with SmartVault depending on your circumstances, these are the portal itself, Connected Desktop and SmartVault Drive. All can be used from your main PC. SmartVault Portal You can use the portal in a web browser, this is fantastic if you are on the move and away from your usual machine when you need to access documents and all you need is an internet connection. Connected Desktop This would be used from your PC, this is where you can do tasks such as sending password protected documents, links to documents, or get documents signed by clients. SmartVault Drive This is simply a mapped drive from the cloud to your PC, it is so simple to use, where you can access files drag and drop documents in seconds. One of the most important pros is the use of 2 Factor Authentication as this does hold client records and data.

Cons

Only con I have found, when getting documents signed by DocuSign using SmartVault, if you select one document to sign, then drag and drop other documents, only the original selected documents get updated in SmartVault, and then you have to update the signed documents manually via drag and drop.

Reasons for switching to SmartVault

eFileCabinet kept on corrupting files when they were checked out. I use another accountancy practice package called TaxCalc which is compatible with SmartVault and that's the main reason why we moved over.

Response from SmartVault

Thanks for your review Christos! Great to hear you're finding SmartVault easy and seamless to use. I'll pass along your drag and drop issue to our developer team :) -The SmartVault Team

Replied August 2020

Mickele

Not worth the effort or price

Even though I have had issues with the software and it does not meet all of my needs I likely would have renewed had they honored the agreement made when I signed up. You are required to have a minimum of 2 licenses and the agent I worked with was able to waive that requirement and I agreed to use the software as opposed to going with a different provider. They have now decided to unilaterally enforce the 2 licenses even though I was told my pricing would be locked in as long as I remained a customer. So due to the price, because it does not contain premium features, and the lack of integrity I would not recommend this software to anyone.

Pros

I like that the software does what it is supposed to (securely stores documents) but there aren't too many bells and whistles and a lot of it is very manual to do. I also like the DocuSign integration.

Cons

There are a lot of features missing and since they are now doubling the cost it is definitely not worth it. There is no way to securely request files from clients who do not have an account. They just barely added a document request feature which I will not be trying since I am not renewing. It is not intuitive to use for my clients and it does not integrate with my tax software. There is a feature to send tax organizers to all of your clients which would be useful if I could upload a template but that is not an option.

Reasons for choosing SmartVault

It came highly recommended and due to the original pricing agreement, it was at an okay price point.

Maria

December 2021

Good service but it has become prohibited for a solo tax practitioner.

After the initial learning curve, it worked fine. It's a secure and efficient way to exchange and store client documents. The only reason why I didn't renew it is that the plan I was using was discontinued and I was put in a plan that had a minimum of 2 users. I was going to start paying 3 times more than the previous year's fee. They did some improvements but I didn't need those.

Pros

It is robust, well structured and secure.

Cons

I had a couple of glitches, I couldn't login in my account, and it was scary. I resolved it after a few days, trying many other things, including contacting customer support. I cleared the cache in my browser and I had access again. It was a steep learning curve for me. I was used to another client portal that had a modern look and this one looked a little outdated.

Reasons for choosing SmartVault

Citrix was not tailored to my practice and SmartVault had a "Tax Professional" portal. I couldn't figure out how to tailor Citrix for my needs.

Reasons for switching to SmartVault

I needed more space that the former provider offered. In addition by picking different services I was going to save money from the all inclusive service I was on.

Dawn

Reliable and Secure

I love the integrations. I cannot say enough about their vision to continue to improve it's interface. This is a super cost effective way for me to operate my tax practice as well as the work I do with other clients.

Pros

I love that SmartVault can integrate with other software applications I use. The security that SmartVault brings to the table is critical to the protection of my clients data. This application fits perfectly with my suite of other applications and I can count on it remaining secure.

Cons

The website times out too often. Maybe I am not aware of being able to extend the time-out but that is definitely something that needs to improve. I also would like to see improvements in the mobile application.

Reasons for choosing SmartVault

Sharefile operated in a standalone capacity and was difficult to maneuver compared to SmartVault.

Renee

Easy and secure

SmartVault is easy to use and secure. The price point is great. Clients find it easy to use. I really like the integration with Outlook. I can easily email links to documents, which makes SmartVault even easier for clients. It is secure, and that is very important to me. Access to files anytime and anywhere is also important. Customizable folders is an added benefit. Each year I get more clients using it. I will use it as long as am in practice. I have no need to shop for anything else.

Pros

Security is the number one feature. SmartVault is easy to use and secure. Clients find it easy to use. Integration is Outlook works great.

Cons

A function to email a third party a document without them having an account would be great. Maybe it is there and I don't know how to use it.

Reasons for choosing SmartVault

Security, ratings, recommendations by IT people, price was also a smaller factor.

Georgia

Consistent and Cheaper than other options out there

Overall I am very happy with the service for the price.

Pros

It is consistent across the many years we have used it at my small account firm. It is a cheaper options for delivering our tax returns to our clients.

Cons

We have some issues with permissions on our end and on the client end that requires some troubleshooting and frustration.

PRICE!!!

Steve

Smooth link to Lacerte but could use improvement on links to clients

Integration with Lacerte and cloud storage. Does provide one place to receive documents from clients, send documents to client and share documents within our team.

Pros

What I like most is the direct link to Lacerte tax software. Employees can send a return or any form from Lacerte with only one click.

Cons

Sending documents to clients seems inefficient - for example the only way to send more than one document is via a "link" or password encrypted email - would like ability to select multiple documents from different folders and send by email link, not just passwords.

Jeremy

Excellent portal for Intuit tax users

I haven't used other portals, but researched several and think that Smartvault is likely the best standalone portal for Lacerte/ProSeries users. Overall a great experience and can't imagine life before Smartvault.

Pros

We started using Smartvault for our small firm four years ago. It has been great at helping us move to a more paperless environment. The best feature is the tight integration with Lacerte (it also integrates with ProSeries). If you print returns from Lacerte you can choose Smartvault and the returns go straight to the correct folders so you can save a copy and the clients have a copy. There's also good integration with scanners. The connected desktop app is great to use. The client facing portal was previously clunky but much improved this year. The software is quite easy to use and relatively affordable. When we've had issues support is helpful at resolving.

Cons

I wish there was a way to make a request from a client for a specific document like more modern practice software has. Wish accounting folder templates were included in the "tax plan" at the same price...doesn't seem like that feature should cost extra. This year we decided to add workflow management and I looked at competitors like TaxDome/Canopy which offer a lot in one but in the end have added Karbon through IPM. I must say however that TaxDome seems to offer a ton at a much better value than Smartvault. Would love to see Smartvault get to that point and would gladly pay more to include other features. E-signatures are just ok, we got a trial to use some free this year but without KBA. The price for the e-signatures especially with KBA is too high and we're going to use Intuit's e-signature product going forward.

Integration with Lacerte

Easy and effective document management system

Pros

I use this software on a daily basis since all our documents are stored on it. Thus, I am constantly "checking out" and "checking in XL and PDFs. Once I am done working on something I just save it, close it, and ot automatically is updated and checked back in to the software storage.

Cons

The one thing that would be nice to have (which I was able to do with our prior software filing system) is to be able to "check out" a document in a "view only" manner. Technically, of someone else has already checked out a document and you subsequently check out the same one, this is what happens to your version, but if you want to do this with an unchecked out file, you cannot. This would be helpful for cases that you know you do not want to have any changes made to a file but still want to view it. It would allow a peace of mind knowing that you are not going to accidently change anything.

NetDocuments

Lydia

SmartVault used everyday

I have been using SmartVault for over 5 years, when I first started with SmartVault it was because Intuit decided to no longer offer Document Management System and they partnered with SmartVault, you could say I grew up with SmartVault, over the years they have added additional features to enhance and not only allow me to be paperless but now automated too.

Pros

Love the integration with my tax software, ProSeries and also DocUSign which I depend on immensely. With the Pandemic and having to social distance this ability allowed me to continue to work and stay in business.

Cons

difficult to understand how to set functions up and utilize the more advanced features

Integration with ProSeries

Reasons for switching to SmartVault

no choice, they stopped making it for a year or two, when they brought it back I stayed with SmartVault

Beth

Excellent Secure Storage Software

Pros

I love how easy this software is to use! We first started using it when i had a chromebook, so i was even more impressed when i got a normla laptop and could use the desktop app for saving/downloading files! It gives our clients a sense of security, and it's very easy to set up a folder structure, add engagements, and invite clients to use it!

Cons

My number one complaint is that you cannot edit documents in Smartvault. You have to download them, edit them, and then reupload them, which makes things difficult when both us and the client need to update something

The price was cheaper

Drive is not as secure

JERRY

Highly reccomend SmartVault

We use to use Lacerte DMS. It was a nightmare. Always having to reformat and things kept in diff folders. Data was not easily found either. With SV connected desktop software we can find any client easily.

Pros

We love how SmartVault is integrated with Intuit/Lacerte. It makes our lives simple, efficient, and stress-free.

Cons

in mid-2019 SV did an update that made uploading files more stable and faster. Since then I honestly have no complaints. We upgraded our internet speed for faster uploads and using SV is just a breeze. I did think of one issue, but I do not know if the problem is Lacerte's fault or SV? Sometimes a client may already be in SV with years of historical data, but SV will create a new folder for that client under their Lacaerte client ID? So a duplicate of sorts. I have not found a consistent pattern and never complained because it's rare and random.

To upgrade

Sibylle

Could not run my bookkeeping practice without it.

Thanks to SmartVault, it's easy for my clients to provide me with the data I need to keep their books, and I can answer almost any question they have for me quickly and easily. I started off receiving statements by email. I've left that M.O. behind forever.

Pros

Bookkeepers depend on bank and credit card statements, payroll reports and other documents to do their work. Smartvault makes it easy for me to get these documents from my clients and to keep them easily findable as needed. Without Smartvault, I think my daily stress levels would be 100 percent higher and I could not have grown my business to the extent that I have.

Cons

The fact that I need to switch "views" to get certain jobs done.

Reasons for choosing SmartVault

Pricing was reasonable and it's specifically designed for use by finance professionals.

Joe

Great integration with our tax software

The cloud software has been great at moving our firm from the back office server environment to the cloud.

Pros

The features most liked about SmartVault for us has been the ease of initial installation, the integration with our Intuit ProSeries Software and how it has helped our office move to the cloud for a safe secure location for our data.

Cons

The folder setups for multiple clients could stand to be easier. Seems like we've been having most issues in how to set up engagement folders that are not pre-formatted. Also the price is not incredibly cheap for us, but due to integration don't have much choice.

Reasons for choosing SmartVault

Not really another viable choice considering our needs.

Reasons for switching to SmartVault

ProSeries stopped making DMS and recommended we try SV.

Tammy

Great product for storage and collaboration

With SmartVault I never have to worry about where my documents are for all of my clients. I know they are secure and accessible at all times no matter what computer I have access to.

Pros

I love SmartVault for the unlimited storage capacity and ease of use. I am easily able to collaborate and share files and sensitive documents with colleagues and clients alike with different permissions. I love being able to access my documents from any computer, anywhere, anytime. I feel like care about me as a consumer and try and be as helpful as possible.

Cons

Learning SmartVault was a bit difficult in the beginning but the company provides plenty of training and hundreds of videos.

Mila

December 2021

Only document storage and not the best one

The software is only document storage and not the best one. It is supposed to integrate with Intuit tax software (Prosystems, etc.), but if you use something different (I am on CCH), you are out of luck. Customer service is horrible and not worth the time you spend contacting them. Please read my Cons section for more impressions.

Pros

They promise many good features, but only a few of them actually work.

Cons

I was originally on the tax-pro subscription for $360/year for several years. They canceled the tax-pro plans and charged my credit card $112 just for the month of November. It is almost four times the price and not something I would pay for this software. The change of plan was not communicated clearly, the specific date of change was not communicated at all, and now customer service tells me that refunds are outside of their policy even though I cancelled SmartVault immediately. There are more cons than pros to this software. My customers were receiving upload notifications after a three-week delay, which created a lot of confusion. The software was not intuitive to the customers. Individual files had to be made accessible to them even when uploaded to an already accessible folder, which was a complete waste of time and another source of frustration. Sometime last year, SmartVault had a hiccup and resorted our filing system, e.g., files from 2017 folders were randomly moved to different folders, etc. DocuSign integration worked in about 30% of the time; in most cases, I would get a file error and go directly to the DocuSign website, which defeats the purpose of this integration. I had contacted customer service for each of these issues and received no help. They now require a minimum two licenses regardless of whether you are a single-member firm.

Reasons for choosing SmartVault

Only because of the original pricing of $360/yr, which now has been tripled.

MIRANDA

Proud Member of the SmartVault Fan Club

We have been very satisfied with smart fault, which allows us to organize and archive securely an enormous amount of client files to be shared.

Pros

Smartvault is ridiculously easy to use, and provides a ridiculous amount of storage for the price. Our organization has set up branded portals and client folders for exchanging large files, and set up and transfer of terabytes of information took only one day. It is easy to manage customer access from the administrative tool, and support is always available when we need it.

Cons

The tool is extremely secure, but there is one things that I have found frustrating. It is difficult to create top-down permissions for subfolders. This will only slow you down a minute or two, but it can be mildly frustrating.

Response from SmartVault

Thanks for your review Miranda! We love to hear how we're helping our customers and appreciate your feedback! -Team SmartVault

Replied September 2019

Nicole

Smart Working

Pros

What I like most is the organization of files and the security behind the product. I know for a fact that my customers and company’s files are safe.

Cons

I enjoy everything about Smartvault. They are always evolving.

Reasons for switching to SmartVault

Was not as secured or organized

Carol

SmartVault Is Very Helpful

Overall, SmartVault is positive with my business, but I would REALLY like that feature that I mentioned in the box about what I like least about SmartVault

Pros

Ease for me and my clients to upload documents and to read uploaded documents. It is fantastic. I also love that there is a limited DocuSign feature to where I don't have to pay the full price for full DocuSign subscription. Plus, I believe that having a secure portal on my website is a positive thing that could help attract new clients

Cons

Overall, I do like SmartVault, but I wish there is a setting where I could get notified (perhaps via email) that a client uploaded a document. Otherwise, I just have to check every once in a while. I'm very busy so it is tedious to check to see if something is there, whereas if I got an email notification, I'd know that a document was uploaded

Reasons for choosing SmartVault

I had previous experience with SmartVault from another accounting colleague. His stated view about SmartVault in the past to me helped determine what secure portal I eventually used on my website

Gabby

Great Software

Very convenient and safe for clients

Pros

The software is so easy to upload to and from. Clients access their folders with ease and we get email notifications hourly if there are uploads. It puts clients at ease that their documents are in a secure home. We've used SmartVault for a few years, but with the pandemic it was imperative to have since no one was dropping off and mailing in documents with everyone being remote.

Cons

It's pretty tedious to go in and set up new folders and restrictions/allowances for clients.

SmartVault