(6,929)

6,929

(3,447)

3,447

• Pros

• "The themes are amazing and I can choose and customize my website at any even time which is awesome! I love it!"

• "I love that this programs gives you a quality feel. It’s not like the other cheesy website builder programs. I also love that I can buy templates for my site. "

• "It very easy to use and you can find lots of themes and plugins for it."

• Cons

• "- WooCommerce is great, but the shopping experience isn't on-par yet with Shopify out of the box... though it can be customized."

• "All in all its a great product, but I don't like its installation proccess."

• "It's fast for a CMS, but it's still slow when comparing speeds to a site that is built in straight Laravel. "

Browse WordPress Reviews

Stanislav from Remotek Ltd

WordPress is the universal CMS

Excellent product and overall experience. WordPress helped me build out several sites and in general get a feel for web design. I'm a digital marketer, so I mostly do edits and not full-blown buildouts, but even those are easy with this CMS. I highly recommend WP for anything but large scale e-commerce.

Pros

Without a doubt, the biggest thing about WordPress are all the plugins that are available. Whatever you end up wanting to do with your Wordpress website, there's a big chance that there's already a plugin for it, which not only allows you to perform complex operations without any coding knowledge, but provides you with additional tools to fully customise the setup. With WordPress the sky is the limit to what you can do and its often a matter of being able to find plugins and tinkering with them until you've added a desired functionality. Since it might not be fair to talk only about plugins of third parties, while reviewing the WordPress CMS (although they are a big reason it is so good), I'll also try and cover some of the things I like about the platform itself. Firstly, it is an ever evolving one and there are constant updates. I remember when I first used WordPress and began editing and later building a few websites some 5 years ago. Back then the CMS was more basic and you would often need some coding skills to get around. Fast forward to today, themes and plugins have advanced greatly and there is far less need for actual coding - it's being done by third parties. WordPress themselves have done a great job at improving the CMS in terms of content editing capabilities for regular posts.

Cons

The core of the CMS could be expanded more to include popular options you get with plugins. Third party plugins can sometimes slow down a website or conflict with one another due to coding incompatibilities. Because of this and the fact that WP can get cluttered with a bunch of plugins and you eventually end up with a backend that's hard to navigate, I think they should expand on the core a lot more than they have been.

Jeremy from Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health

Industry: Mental Health Care

Versatile with plenty of options!

Wordpress is extremely easy to use in comparison to some other website softwares. You can make a basic page for a business or blog in a matter of hours and have it up and running. There are quite a few themes that it is very likely the design you want has already been created.

Pros

Wordpress offers the most options and built in plugins if you are willing to pay. With how broad the use of wordpress is there are also plenty of resources online to help you build and expand your webpage. You can edit your site and get it up and running in a matter of hours.

Cons

When you are starting out on wordpress there are features and plugins are are only available at higher priced points. Unfortunately you have to pay for the entire year so there is not much flexibility in terms of trying things out for a short period of time before committing.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

If you are willing to pay a bit more, wordpress provides everything you need in one spot, you do not have to go search for additional plugins.

Joshua from JNM Rise Inc.

Industry: Machinery

JNM Rise WordPress Review

As stated above, I really enjoyed working with this software. I mean truly, web design has now become a great side hobby of mine and using intuitive software such as this makes it a very pleasurable experience.

Pros

I consider myself to be a tech savvy guy, but when it came to web design my creativity seemed to falter. WordPress provided me all the solutions I needed to build a website I felt would attract customers and allow my team and I to build a website that represents us, and how we see our company. It was ease of use like I hadn't experienced trying to code other websites, and to be perfectly honest I was disappointed when our website project had ended simply because I was enjoying interacting with the software so much.

Cons

I can honestly say from my experience working with WordPress and past experience with other software that there really weren't any cons. The tools allow for "drag and drop" functionality which was huge for me as much of what I added were video or pictures of our products. Additionally, the suggestions provided by the software were great to have, and even better was the fact there are so many communities out there with people who use WordPress regularly and who are able to offer some great ideas on site improvements.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

As stated above, it at first made for some great discussion with my CTO on, should we, or should we not make the switch to WordPress. It meant both of us working with software that we weren't familiar with but the learning curve was quick and painless. Now we both enjoy using WordPress and are looking forward to the next projects ahead of us.

About as you would expect from a software that's leading an industry it wasn't designed for

I was able to develop custom websites (landing pages, as well as sites with more in-depth content, managed by an editorial team) that our customers were then able to fill with their own content and that would let them perform basic management tasks on their own.

Pros

Wordpress makes it very easy for editorial staff and / or your customers to create and manage their own content for their own websites, leaving only theme design & development and development of special business functionality up to you. The process of which is also helped by the vast amount of plugins available for the platform. It's easy and efficient to create custom themes & functionality for Wordpress based websites and support is never far away thanks to the massive adoption-base it has.

Cons

The fact that Wordpress, at its core, still wants to be about blogging hinders its development. If it was reworked with the integration of custom content types & landing pages in mind, development of websites that aren't blogs (which is probably the majority of websites Wordpress is powering at this time) would go much easier. Its underlying technologies, which feel like they're stuck in the days of PHP4, are also not nearly up-to-par with modern software development frameworks and environments. If you want to change the way a store-bought theme displays some values, you have to manually edit the theme's files, which you have to do over and over again if you update the theme, because Wordpress' hooks for software developers just won't cut it for most customisations. Wordpress also doesn't have any concept of MVC-like (or any other) patterns for managing code & assets and it also lacks native support for any kind of build-system like grunt, gulp, or webpack. In short: Wordpress is held back by its blogging roots and its resilience to acknowledging more modern approaches to web development.

Ethan from Freelance Entrepreneur

Wordpress can do just about everything you could ever want a content manager to do!

I have created many websites for my self and clients with WordPress. Its great for getting potential clients to take the plunge into conducting business online who have no idea how to get started or any experience with internet marketing. Being able to assure a potential client that they will be able to easily update their websites with little to no assistance beyond creating the original site setup. People love the simplicity of it all and that helps me sell more often and more successfully to people who fear the complexity of online marketing but want to try it out.

Pros

I love that you can use WordPress to accomplish almost anything related to building a website. Word press is a program that can out of the box build a fully function website or be modified to accomplish most tasks you normally have to spend time writing line after line of code. Its great having a program the you can acquire and use for free or nearly free that can do so much. Once you setup how you want WordPress to display your website you can easily create new content for your website with no more than few clicks. You can rearrange elements on your website with something as simple as drag and dropping if you want to. WordPress takes what would be hours of coding and cuts it down to minutes, but what really makes WordPress stand out is how easy it is to add functionality with plugins. It is so simple that to add a plugin you merely have to go to the plugin section that you can find right on the dashboard main screen and type what ever you are looking for into a search bar and then its as simple as picking what plugin bets meets your needs and there are literally 1000s plugins that you can choose from for any given need you my find your self wanting fulfilled.

Cons

I am freelance Web Developer and from my perspective WordPress is probably the most changeable and easy to personalize program available for free that is easy to learn how to use, but if I had to say something negative the only thing I can say really is that on its own it can feel limited but like I said before. You can easily change how WordPress works by customizing with plugins that you can install will no more than a few clicks a little time spend familiarizing your self with how the plugin works. So even though WordPress may be limited to start with you can easily fix that by spend a few minutes adding the plugins you need.

Jeheen Mahmood from Binary Bees

Industry: Writing and Editing

This is WordPress, do I need to say more! My entire blogging business is based on this one product!

I started making my own websites and assiting with other's projects with only 30 minutes of training. I knew near to zero about web development. Then I watched a video tutorial of the basics and that was enough to start me on my way. I learned by doing new things, stumbling on new issues, then learning from the mistake and troubleshooting from online forums. Now I have 10-15 websites at a time and also help my clients with their websites. Of course, I am still learning and I am no coder, I have 0 coding knowledge. Yet I manage to do a lot of things without any coding.

Pros

The way a total layman can pick up the basics and publish a website for oneself is mind boggling. I know there are even easier solutions. I tried them. But no one, absolutely no one has the same balance of freedom, ease of use and gradual learning curve like WordPress.

Cons

It's an open market when it comes to WordPress. If you dont like something, it is likely that there are at least 10 alternatives. So I can not say I dont like something, I KNOW there is an alternative that I would like. The new Gutenberg update had caught me unaware like thousands of other users and I am still using the old interface (guilty!), so that transition might be called somthing that gave me a hiccup. Again as I said, there are always alternatives, you can use several plugins to revert to old WordPress OR you can even use page builders.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

Freedom, cheaper cost, fast development, and many more reasons.

Shareque from Technoswift

WordPress: A Complete CMS To Start Swiftly Your Brand New Website/Blog

WordPress helps to make a powerful website or web application, it suitable if you are in hurry to start your website, it has multiple plugin which saves your development time. With WordPress you can easily build eCommerce based website and other services related websites, within few days if you have all the resources required to build it. My overall experience with WordPress is very impressive.

Pros

WordPress allows to quickly setup and go live with few customization, I like its installation facility with too easy to use. It has n number of plugin which are free and as well as premium version as well, you may choose accordingly to your requirement. Its best for blogging purpose or for personal website, its easy to maintain and upgrade-able.

Cons

Its become complicated if you install multiple plugin without knowing is it compatible or not. So make sure you must update only when you need to update it. Otherwise its very convenient to use and maintain through out the development stages. It allows to share plugins or code to reuse in other project as well.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

Its easy to learn and maintain and their team regularly gives update for this, which helps to maintain security of web applications. That's why I choose this.

Stefan from Information technology and services

Great CMS for starters and professionals

I'm currently maintaining 10 different WordPress pages in various sizes and setups. The sites vary from personal Blogs to business websites to online stores. Some run out-of-the-box available plugins and templates, some run custom code or are heavily modified. Update and backup management can be achieved through a single, dedicated WordPress site running MainWP for all connected pages. Even disaster recovery or site migration to another hoster is a breeze.

Pros

The easy setup, administration and maintenance as well as the great plugin, template and support options available (free and paid). I also like how most plugins / templates follow the overall system / logic in WordPress and integrate themself logically into the menu structure for easy administration or content creation.

Cons

Due to the overwhelming amount of available plugins and templates the compatibility sometimes suffers. For example each new major WordPress release might break a plugin or template. Or just updating a single plugin might break compatibility with another which wasn't maintained for years and you have to dig into server logfiles or the source code to identify the issue.

Site from Catholic University Institute of Buea

WordPress overall review

- I can't miss out on the chance to recommend WordPress to anyone. You kind of don't "re-invent the wheel" anymore (coding from scratch). It helps me save time and energy in creating a website for my clients rather than creating it from scratch. WordPress is generic, meaning it suits the need for any kind of website you may want to create (blog, eCommerce, portfolio, organizational, etc)

Pros

- Using WordPress is one of the easiest and fastest ways to set up a website without the need for extra cost for an experienced Web Developer. - WordPress being a free Content Management System (CMS) handles a lot of things for you. For example Security, Performance, File uploads, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and many more. - As a part-time Freelance Web Developer, I can actually create any category of a website for my clients, ranging from personal to blog to eCommerce to organizational without having to code anything from scratch. This saves me a lot of time and energy. - It is widely used and very popular, powering millions of websites. This makes it easy to have online assistance just by Googling the technical issue you face. - WordPress comes with free and paid website templates that can be integrated directly and has thousands of plugins that permits me to add more functionalities to my clients' websites, all these without coding. Some of these added functionalities include contact form submission, user registration, accepting online payments, newsletter and many more. - It is so easy to customize or update content found on any webpage of your website. - One of the greatest features of WordPress is the ability for multiple admin users to be able to work on the website with their accounts created and their roles defined as it is the case in our company (our main university website is powered by WordPress)

Cons

- WordPress requires a database to run. - WordPress is widely used (powers millions of websites). This makes it vulnerable as a security flaw could be discovered and exploited by malicious individuals.

Steve from Focus on the Family

Still the best and getting easier

We use WordPress to power a surprising number of content sites, many with more than a thousand articles (the largest site has over 10k total pages). This is a huge blessing from where we were just a few years ago with an expensive, development-heavy, closed-source behemoth. The one thing we really don't intend to use WordPress for is the e-commerce area. We went with a special-purpose platform for that because we didn't want to cobble-together a ton of WooCommerce plugins.

Pros

We use WordPress for more than ten websites, the top three of which have more than a million visitors per month. So, with the right hosting platform, WordPress can be "enterprise". What I like the most is that we've been able to train more than 50 content producers to easily use the system. There is so much self-help training (just not from WordPress itself, all 3p) out there that you can pretty much teach yourself anything. We especially like the SEO courses that all have modules about WordPress--that's crucial because trying to do SEO yourself, without good tools and processes, is a huge time sink. WordPress has so many plugins that you can find anything almost anything you need.

Cons

The greatest strength, the extensibility through plugins, is also a huge weakness. The "batteries not included" model means that you will spend a lot of time selecting, managing and updating plugins. This is still easier than coding site features yourself, but the all-in-one approach of competitors like Wix or Squarespace is pretty attractive if you don't want to configure a bunch of disparate pieces of software.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

We choose WordPress because it has the richest ecosystem of software and hosting options. We made it customized for our needs with very little expense. Plus, almost every creative agency is able to use it, and that's really helpful for keeping costs low.

Umair from Butt IT Solutions

Best Content Management System in the World of Web

I use WordPress for all my Websites, I teach online so I am using a LMS (Learning Management System) theme, which makes my work very easy. I can create courses and share my best knowledge with the world with the help of WordPress. I have also an E-Commerce Website where I am selling the products. Very important that I have added few payment gateways including cash on delivery. I am also running a personal blog where I write on different categories. So overall I am 100% satisfied with WordPress.

Pros

WordPress is the best CMS. I am using WordPress for my own websites and also for the clients websites. There are several free and premium themes that we can download and install in our Website. I purchased Divi Package, so that API i can use for any website. WordPress is very easy to use, where you can build a website without the knowledge of Programming Languages. In the directory of WordPress you can find different layouts of themes like with one sidebar, two sidebars and even without the sidebar. There are thousands of Plugins which makes your life very easy, by Installing and activating these plugins you can save your time and the things will execute in your website within few minutes and seconds. If you are running an E-commerce business then it's also very awesome, because with the help of Woocommerce Plugin you can make your E-commerce website. You can control your online E-commerce business in such an easy way, where on your website selling and managing the products will be very easy with the help of WordPress.

Cons

If you are using free Theme, so there are few things that you can change only from the Theme Editor. For Instance if you want to change something in the header of your website, then you will edit header.php File. So according to my experience this is only the thing which difficult for the beginners, because they don't have programming knowledge also.

Brian from Haunted San Diego Ghost Tours

Wordpress - Must Use for Your Website (Business or Personal)

I use it for my own business site and for client sites. It is my go to and the best experience possible out there and I have tried a lot. Consider that it covers everything: 1. Well suited and coded for SEO with supporting plugins. 2. Lot of security plugins which are necessary, effective and you need to use as it is a very popular platform and thus lots of hackers are interested in it. 3. Works congruently with Social Media platforms. 4. LMS / Drip Content / Paid Gateways - it's plugin for all that. 5. Ecommerce - Woo has that cover with a massive amount of plugin and options to get what you want done. WP just does it all and very effectively, I can't imagine using something else. Plus with the community support and the ecosystem, you'd be a full not to in the majority of cases.

Pros

Top 6 - Reasons to Use Wordpress (I'd write more but ran out of space) 1. The code is already there. Coming from a corporate design background (Historically I was an online marketing director and creative director). It is a massive relief not to have to rely on a programmer to get the functionality we need for a top performing and efficient website. 2. Design wise - there are a number of templates out there that you can easily utilize and manipulate to get the look and feel your brand supports. Sure there is a learning curve but it isn't too steep for most and you can use freelance sites or in house designers to get over that at a fair price. 3. Community - Wordpress powers over a third of the site online and is massively supported and well documented. 4. Plugins - There is a plugin for that. Believe it! If there is not know you can manipulate one that is already out there or have a developer create it for you. 5. Price - Wordpress is free and the plugins, extensions and premium themes are 90% of the time very reasonably priced.. 6. Independent and Yours - If you build an independent WP site (not on wordpress.com but on your own site and installation) your site can exist for years without worry on what WP is doing. This is massively important because if you build your site on Wix or Squarespace or any like them (heaven save you if you build a "site" on Fbook, that's terrible), and they change their system it can ruin your site. Ultimately they own your site not you.

Cons

The new Gutenberg blocks - As an experienced WP user I don't like it. Probably would not affect a new user. I've disabled it with a plugin so all is well. Speed - WP can be slow if you overload it with plugins and extras. You have to keep an eye on that and take measure to make it fast (which is totally possible, just consider it part of the build).

Emeka from Innovation Growth Hub

WordPress had been awesome

I've been using WordPress to build websites for my business and also for clients. Also I train people on how to use WordPress, thereby generating revenue for my business. I love WordPress so much because of its ease of use, stability, and large community. Also that WordPress is free to use is very beautiful.

Pros

I've been using WordPress for about three years, and it's been amazing. I like a whole lot of things about WordPress, and those things includes: 1. Short learning curve: unlike other Content Management Systems (CMS) I've used, WordPress have a very short learning curve. It's beginner friendly, and even those without prior knowledge about website designing using CMS can get over it in just a few hours. 2. Ease of Use: Using WordPress to design a website is very easy, and you can build a website in 30mins or less. 3. Free to use: WordPress is an open source CMS, and is free to use. 4. Availability of Support: WordPress works with themes and plugins, and the developers of the themes and plugins I've used had been supportive. 5. Availability of free themes and plugins: There is a huge database of amazing free plugins and themes to get one started immediately. 6. Huge community: WordPress have a whole lot of user base, and this had led to a large number of both online and offline communities. Finding solution to bugs is easy due to the availability of those supportive communities. 7. Ease of managing WordPress websites: Managing WordPress websites is very easy compared to some other CMS I've used. One only need to login to the admin dashboard, and from there the website can be managed easily. One can post contents and edit already existing ones without having to go to the Cpanel of the website hosting account, or using File Transfer (FTP) softwares.

Cons

It is very hard to point out anything I don't like about WordPress. The only turn off of some sort for me is that some WordPress themes and plugins can be expensive. This is not a big issue as there is almost always an alternative.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

I chose WordPress because of its ease of use, and the beautiful outlook of websites designed with it.

Vernessa from Blog Posts, Long-Form Articles, Short Reports, Case Studies

WordPress Evolves, Adapts and is Lovingly Wrapped

Initially I was searching for a way to create and save tech-related notes, then link to relevant others, and search the entire pile. That was years ago (and I found some other software more suitable to that task). WordPress creators listen to the community that develops with it and the end users. So it has continued to evolve and adapt to the way the community uses and wants to use it. Over the years WordPress has served my needs as a blog, front page for a static website, content management system and ecommerce platform.

Pros

WordPress evolves, adapts and is lovingly wrapped around by a caring community of coders, developers, techies, and users alike. I began using WordPress before it was worthy of a full integer (it was like version 0.4!). I was impressed with it then even though I used it as a storage place for tech-related notes. I watched it evolve from a mostly blog engine to an enviable content management system. And adapt from being primarily in the purview of hobbyists to become a serious tool in the business realm. I remain impressed by (and grateful to) the community that creates for it, tweaks and supports it, and teaches others how to achieve the results they're seeking.

Cons

Oh the woes associated with upgrading! I've had a few because while the software will always warn you to backup and backup and know what you're doing, it can't foresee every possible thing that can go wrong. So it will sometimes break things. Or some ill-coded plugins will bork your site when you upgrade WordPress. My other least favorite thing about WordPress is the WordPress Plugin Repository. I don't think it is designed well enough to rule out bad actors (who create crappy pieces of software that causes problems for your WordPress site). Finally, although I applaud WordPress for finally figuring out a way to "edit in place," I don't think Gutenberg is the answer.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

I've continued to try out other softwares to see if they are better suited for a particular project. Sometimes there are alternatives that work well. More often than not WordPress, with its ecosystem of plugins, gets the job done.

Shayne from ReckGear

As simple or as featured as you need it to be

Very happy that I have switch to wordpress for its woocommerce plugin. It makes running a business more viable and not as limited as when using an all in one CRM/eCommerce solution.

Pros

It allows for amazing scalability as you grow your blog, site, or business. You are provided a great simple tool to get started and create the site you need. With a huge library of options in plugins to expand the capabilities and themes to curate the brand image displayed. It is the building blocks that can really help anyone build what they would like. Best of all, what you build travels with you. You can change domains, host servers, themes, and everything can be migrated or backed up so you can bring your site over. Even if you scale up to have a dedicated server, you can maintain the design of your site.

Cons

It can be a bit daunting with its capabilities, it doesn't hold your hand and you are required to research your own solutions and contact theme/plugin developers for help with issues. Finding incompatibilities between plugins can be a bit draining at times when something just doesn't seem to be working.

Scaleability, customization, branding

Scott from Pro Voice Media LLC

Wordpress Enables Entrepreanerus to Create and Manage Their Own Website

Wordpress should be your first web building choice if you are brand new to building for small business, and especially for blogging on a .com domain, where I use the platform integrated very easily through GoDaddy. Wix and Squarespace are easier to get up and running, but can't touch Wordpress for increased functionality as your skills grow. If you are with GoDaddy as your host, integration with WordPress is a no-brainer. Ive created sites from scratch for two of my businesses, a non-profit, and a band. They each use seperate templates and have individual features, so it's not one size fits all on the templates and features.

Pros

Templates create functional and informative websites with modern looks, CSS, and a plethora of aesthetic options. Once a template is chosen, it's easy to implement and adjust a look that you like, such as where the menu bar(s) will go, whether you look more like an informative site, an E-Commerce site, or a simple blog, which is the default. Numerous plug-ins are available to help with basics like site analytics, form creation, mailing list cultivation, and E-Commerce integration. To get something up and on the web, you can literally be worldwide in less than an hour.

Cons

While I recommend this for not just beginners, but even intermediate web site builders, there are some things that are irritations, rather than complaints. One is that the numerous templates can always get your started, but with only a few of the most basic templates, most require some sort of payment to become fully functional. You don't need that functionality until you do, and at that point, you are pretty married to the design you have built upon that template. I would recommend doing A LOT of research before installing any of the plug-ins to make sure they also will produce what is promised without fee. I am not trying to say that everything should be without cost, just that it's only through trial and error that you spend some time with something before finding out it won't do what you thought it would do without that fee. In customer service, the software itself doesn't have much if any tech support other than online tutorials---you are much better off going to youtube to find out how to do something.

Clemens from Staffbase

Content Management Champion

I don't think there is a website, shop or blog that WordPress can't help create. I'm running a podcast and multiple forums on this and I couldn't be happier.

Pros

It's mindblowing how powerful WordPress is, considering the fact that it's free. I would go as far as to say that this is only part of the reason for its success, as some 60% of all CMS-pages are built using WordPress: there's a whole universe of plugins, free and paid, the interface is foolproof and the results are only limited by your own capacities.

Cons

It can be overwhelming at times. Especially if you are looking for a plugin to, say, have a grid on some landing page, there are some 40 providers who offer similar looking solutions, varying between free and expensive. In fact, the price and the quality of the plugins aren't necessarily related.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

Squarespace has limited possibilities, granting better results, but it just didn't fit my requirements. Typo3 seemed like a lot of work to get into.

Karmon from White Acres

Wordpress ease of use, highly functional, great software!

As an influencer and artisan I needed something with the best ease of use to deliver my content easily and quickly and this is the best in my opinion. Everytime I use this product I find something new I can do with it! 5 stars

Pros

Wordpress has been a go to source for me, mainly for my blog but there is so much you can do ! The templates are amazing and just like all of wordpress very user friendly you dont have to know how to code to use wordpress. Visually pleasing and so many plug ins to take your blog or online shop, real estate listing site or forum or heck even a scheduling plug in, so many additional things you can add or use to make using wordpress an amazing experience! Ilove the fact that also if you have your own website you can manage and moderate all your content or if you have more than one blog mange those from a dashboard all on one spot! The analytics are all right there also and being able to breakdown site traffic etc is a must. This is a must have and if you research even more you'll see all the amazing ways you to can use this little gem!

Cons

I'm gonna have to stretch on this one as I dont really have alot of complaints so if I had to list any would be making sure to look for updates and that us a stretch lol I love wordpress!

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

In the end as I have other choices I've signed up for and purchased it was the one I kept coming back to. Its ease of use and all additional plug ins etc won me over.

Juan Pablo from Grupo Axento

One of the best website managers out there

It has been a very good experience to get to know wordpress and use it. It has granted us a great tool to manage websites, blogs, communities and landing pages. There is a lot of tutorials and information around, you just have to have the will (and/or time) to keep updating.

Pros

WordPress is one of the best website managers and content creators. It has tons of templates, addins and is supported almost everywhere (even if you want to install it locally). We have used our website with WordPress for more than 4 years and everytime we need to update or upgrade it, is as simple as to look for a new template, create a backup, install the template and customize it a little bit and in less than a week (sometimes even days) we have it up and running

Cons

The con I could find on Wordpress is that it can sometimes be difficult to keep an eye on the new versions of everything you install. There are updates for the theme, the addins, the plugins, the connectors, etc. What we have agreed to do is to always look to minimize the addons we select for our website to keep this controlable but there is always some antispam addin or comments addin you will eventually need. And sometimes, with the updates, you can get your site broken.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

It could be migrated in case we changed our hoster and had tons of addins, templates and plugins.

Tamara from Engaged Marketing

Great for Beginners to Advance and everywhere inbetween

Wordpress is a community, believe it or not. They want to see people connecting, growing, and sharing new information to make it be the best open source platform out there. They are constantly trying to grow and for such a big company, they really try to keep their conferences cheap so anyone could attend. Which I give them alot of respect for. Anything that uses code will have its troubles. And I hope in the future I can help contribute to the code to help it be the best it can be. Its an open source and I want it to stay that way.

Pros

Wether you are an avid blog writer or a web developer. Wordpress is a flexible, open source platform for building a website to your needs. I use wordpress on a daily basis for building websites for clients. I know your basic code (HTTP and CSS) but wordpress is coded using a PHP code. The beautiful thing about wordpress is that it can be used by absolute new beginners for free or be a platform that a company used it to build websites for their clients. Wordpress believes strongly in being an open source platform in other words, their information, code, and resources are open to the entire public. Which is what I believe makes it thrive. Anyways..I am not a big techy. I am new and growing. But wordpress allows for things like 'page builders' to help build a website without having to know code. My favorite page builder is Elementor. Also if you have never gone to a wordcamp st louis or just a wordcamp I would highly recommend it. Its an amazing conference that wordpress puts on. The tickets are super cheap for an entire weekend of sessions that include SEO, building your brand, the latest news on wordpress, building websites for people with disabilities, and so much more. They also have venders there such as Elementor, Woo Commence, Siteground hosting, Yoast SEO, and so many others that are dying to give you free t-shirts, discounts on plugins, and all kinds of merch for free. The community is awesome and I had a blast.

Cons

When wordpress does an update to their core files you need to make sure you website is always backed up. It can break your website (rarely happens but I can). I wish when they put out their newest wordpress files, that you could revert back to the last one in case the new one is corrupt.

Tracey from Userlane

Great Platform but Latest Update Needs Work

I've been using WP for a number of years now and, on the whole, I've always had a pleasant and enjoyable experience. I found it easy and intuitive to use when I first started to use the platform and navigate its features. I use it both personally (for my own blog) and professionally, and it gets the job done, so it's a great platform to use if you're a first-time blogger, etc. If you are just getting started with a blog, you can do a lot for free. I would highly recommend WordPress, but I am disappointed with the new update - it really has made publishing content more frustrating, which is sad, because on the whole, it's a great platform!

Pros

I've always been a fan of WordPress. Lots of free features, great themes, easy-to-use (although after the update ... read my comments below!), ability to add in a number of plugins. I've never had any major issues with the platform, and publishing content is relatively effortless. They also have tooltips to help you navigate the platform, but the onboarding process could be improved :)

Cons

Since their latest update, I've found that the platform has come with a number of problems that weren't there before. I also prefer the previous way of composing posts as opposed to the new version. For a more trivial example, when editing hyperlinks, the page will always bounce back up to the top after you've edited a specific hyperlink, and then you'll need to scroll down again, often losing your place, etc. Overall, the UI just doesn't seem as user-friendly to me as it was before, and I've found it frustrating at times to get content published quickly because of small little things that make it more time-consuming to push content out. There also seems to be issues with certain plug-ins now. Onboarding, once again, could be better for this updated version.

James from New World Computers

A Standard for websites, especially for small to medium businesses

After a shaky start, WordPress has become one of our swiss army knifes. We opt to use WordPress much more often than we used to. Why? Because customers expect more and want to pay less. As a result, we do less all-custom website builds than we used to, and use WordPress as the starting point. With other build tools out there, our workflow has sped up considerably and we can complete websites in less than 1/3 the time that we used to.

Pros

Quick setup, updated frequently, thousands of paid and free plugins. It is supported by ISP's other software, and is customizable to fit customer business objectives and budgets. The API is open, which allows for a great deal of customization and future adjustments to match our customer's changing needs.

Cons

Occasional core updates are problematic. For this reason, we wait for some weeks when a new version is out before updating our customers to ensure stability. WordPress could take a little more time to be sure the new versions have better stability before feeding the notice to update to the dashboard. This is a known issue, and veteran WordPress uses all do this.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

Joomla drops our profit margin so low, that we refuse to build with it any longer. It is a good tool for technical work, but a terrible tool for a businesses' bottom line.

The swiss army knife for the web

Actually I use Wordpress with the Elementor Pro plugin to create website for clients which are not sure what their website look should be, and it works pretty well cause I'm able to make changes with very little effort.

Pros

Wordpress power a lot of websites on the whole internet, so his value is pretty proved on the field. You can build almost anything on it, from simple blogs (which is the CORE of Wordpress) to social network websites, to e-commerce all via his plugins ecosystem which is humongous. Think of something you would like your website to do and there will be a plugin for that!

Cons

It's widespread adoption has made Wordpress one of the most hackable system on the planet, so be careful where you host your site and keep it updated!

Brad from Manheim Township School District

Blog + Application Framework + Content Management System

Using WordPress, we were able to rebuild our public facing website and our staff intranet simultaneously on one installation. And we were about to roll out features and updates at a pace that suited us. In the title, I mentioned Application Framework - WordPress is so extensible and flexible that you can treat it as a framework either apart from or in conjunction with the content management system and blogging engine.

Pros

For starters, the price can't be beat. WordPress is open source, so it's free to use in pretty much any way you need. With most free software, there's no support, but the WordPress community is so massive that you can find help for nearly anything WordPress related. If you're a developer, it's incredibly easy to add and customize features by writing plugins. If you're a designer, you have total control over the appearance of your site with the WordPress templating system.

Cons

There's not much to dislike about WordPress. As a developer, I find some of the older APIs to be a bit unwieldy, but most of those are being deprecated in favor of new methods as updates roll out. The new block editor isn't my favorite thing in the world, but it can be disabled if you need.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

Once we decided to move away from Joomla, we didn't even consider anything else.

The Essential Web Platform for Flexibility and Depth

WordPress is terrific. It gives us a platform where we can combine plugins and themes that speed up or automatically accomplish many otherwise-tedious tasks, but gives us options through plugins or back-end editing to add whatever functionality or customization we need. It is an exceptionally powerful open-source platform. Our only complaint is that the wide variety of options sometimes means that even simple tasks require a tremendous amount of involvement and decision-making. But these are few and far between.

Pros

WordPress offers unmatched depth of customization WordPress also offers a wide variety of attractive prebuilt themes, templates and simple front-end builders The documentation and support is freely available and extremely helpful The plugin store includes helpful information about each plugin to assist users in making choices about modifying their website

Cons

With great customization comes density of optionssome tasks are excessively complex to achieve Some utility tasks are offloaded to plugins, which necessitates a never-ending search for the right plugin to accomplish a basic task

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

We chose WordPress because we valued the open-source design, and the depth of customization.

Matt from nurango

We couldn't live without it in our OU.

Hosting multiple sites on one platform with a single login. Extend our website and webapp functionality with pre-designed plugins. Free and secure updates also make management affordable and easy.

Pros

- Multi tenancy - Fast and easy updates - Central management - Security and auto updates - Extensive pre-built plugins

Cons

Non standard html code implementation generated due to things like visual studio editor. Loading plugins that aren't needed on every page instead of loading only when the page calls for it.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

WP is easy to setup and maintain compared to other CMS. The multi site flexibility and thousands of plugins available for free or next to means we don't have to develop from scratch or wish we had features.

Vinay from Freelancer

Amazing blogging platform

As a content writer and not much of a web developer, I was able to pull in a website with less complexity. Whatever I have in mind, I can put it on the design using the plugins. Even the SEO is made simple. I like wordpress and I built 5 websites on it.

Pros

I liked wordpress for the Ease of usage and the plugins. It is pretty straight forward to use the blogging platform with amazing templates and free plugins. As wordpress has a great developers community, the plugins are often of high value and serve all the needs. We need not code much and we can reuse the existing options to build the complete site. For a person who is not much into web development like me, wordpress is a great choice to build own website.

Cons

I don't have much to say on the cons side of wordpress. Everything in wordpress seems pretty easy and straight forward.

Justin from Capacity

There is a reason it is the most commonly used

I've been on teams that have built and managed sites doing tens of millions of visits a month on heavily customized instances of WordPress, all the way down to personal pet projects that get single digit visits a month. It's the only CMS I consistently recommend.

Pros

The ecosystem built around WordPress is second to none. Every front end developer is familiar with WordPress. There are multiple plugin options for just about anything you could ever want to do. Most importantly, it's open source and therefore free. Some people are deterred by open source, but WordPress powers a third of the Internet, it isn't going anywhere.

Cons

It can be a bit of a pain in the butt to do certain things. For example, if you want to use it as a CMS for a larger site and not just a blog, the out of the box configuration needs customization. Also, they recently switched to a fundamentally new way of doing things "Gutenberg" and it is not without its warts. Over time this will improve.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

The community around WordPress was better.

Whitney from Business By Design

Making a Website That You Control Has Never Been Easier

I have been very happy with WordPress. I taught myself how to navigate the platform and there are so many great resources out there for people to learn.

Pros

How quickly and easily I can set up a site for someone and teach them to manage it on their own. I hate in my industry that may developers sometimes hold sites for ransom more or less.

Cons

There is a learning curve to it but once you learn the basics you are set! I love that they offer so many plug-ins as well. You can do things that used to take a fortune to get coded all yourself.

Maria Celestina from Green Buckets

WordPress Review

The best experience I have with WordPress is that it adapts so well with my needs. I have a small personal blog and if in time I would need to improve it, run a business or monetize it, that can also be done easily without spending so much money because of its flexibility.

Pros

WordPress has made life easier for me as far as blogging is concerned. First of all, it is free and it is easy to use, from managing your content to customizing your website appearance to adding functionality. Because you own and control your website, you can do anything with it that would work best for you. WordPress has thousands of customizable themes to choose from, both free and paid. As someone who has no knowledge about web design or web building, this has been so useful to me in creating my own website literally from scratch. In WordPress 5.3, it comes with a minimal brand new default theme (TwentyTwenty) which is really cool since I like to keep my personal blog simple. As for adding content, I can say that WordPress post editor (Visual/Text) works wonders for me, as I much prefer it than the drag and drop type. But should you need a fancy drag and drop feature, chances are you can easily find an add-on that has the functions. There are also thousands of add-ons in WordPress called Plugins. Plugins are extensions, like apps that you install on your mobile phones. Some plugins are simple while some offer more features and functionalities. Adding new features to your website, or extending its functionality has never be easier as you have the access to install these applications whenever you need to. This is why WordPress is so popular and bloggers and business owners choose it over other site builders.

Cons

I've been using WordPress since 2016 and though it is the best platform that works well for me, it is not perfect. Sometimes I encounter difficulties when customizing themes, but I also get to learn many things. And because you are in control of your website, you are responsible for choosing your web hosting provider, installing updates, making backups and especially your site's security.

Zee from The App Solutions

My favorite tool for creating websites

I love it. As a non-coder, but at the same time, a person who deals with websites a lot, I like WordPress because it allows me to meet the needs in terms of marketing.

Pros

I have been working with WordPress for years now. My own personal blog is over 10 years old. I love WordPress for its ultimate versatility and user-friendliness. I've created several sites for various companies using WordPress.org and it has been super-easy to maintain them. I have used both WordPress.com and WordPress.org, and they are both great (I do prefer the .org one since it gives the opportunity to import custom plugins and themes). Most of the themes offer a drag-n-drop design option which is convenient for those who need a website but don't know how to code. The SEO is also great with plugins such as YOAST and others.

Cons

Sometimes when the platform version updates, you need to be careful with updating your website because it might crash. I have had that happen a few times and it was a stressful time. Thankfully I had backups. Therefore, beware of those updates - whether it's your theme, or WordPress itself, or your plugins. ALWAYS have the backup. (That's good in any case.)

Anthony from African Paradise World

Wordpress Review

I see it as a tool for making online publishing and marketing more easy and interesting. I have been able to solve a number of dangerous attacks on my website by simpling looking at the activity log and responding immediately by contacting my host or fixing it myself.

Pros

Wordpress software alone makes my blogging experience easy and convenient. With just a click I would have the quickest update about my traffic statistics. There is no single day I don't use WordPress software to check my website's performance and security issues. I enjoy using it a great deal because of the following reasons: 1. Activity log to find out if there is a strange action from a hacker or anything unrelated to my most recent activities. 2. I get daily, monthly and yearly insights about my website's visitors, their locations, the particular pages visited, the referral link like Google, Bing, etc. I don't necessarily need to rely on google analytics 3. This software gives me an instant notification about new comments, trackbacks and anytime there is a boost in my traffic. 4. It makes me feel secure because of their 2-factor authentication. I confirm my identity through my phone number. 5. I have been noticing regular updates adding new features and making it more user-friendly. 6. I have been able to use the android version of this software happily whiles I was having no access to a PC for more than one year. Because the software's user interface makes it more enjoyable than using a browser itself. Now I use it on my laptop and my phone altogether.

Cons

Since I moved my website from WordPress.com to wordpress.org I haven't been able to publish an article using this software. The major problem I have been encountering is about having an error message anytime I try to upload a media file like a photo. The error message says: "failed to insert media. Please try again." It frustrates me a lot but I believe because I am no more hosting my website with Wordpress. I transferred my website to a different host. Because of this, I do all my publications using wordpress.com which is my self-hosting platform. Finally, since I moved to a self-host, I haven't been able to have direct control over my plugins via the WordPress software.

OSWALDO from Healthcare

Industry: Libraries

WordPress Is For Winners

WordPress is the site to visit if you going to start your very own website or blog.Their prices are reasonable and the best domain names are always available. WordPress will teach you the fastest and best ways to start a blog or website.WordPress will also teach you how to monetize your blog or website. WordPress offers a online 10 part course that teaches how to create a fantastic blog or website, totally free.When i started building my blog through WordPress i was a beginner. I did not know anything about building a blog or website. I learned so much with the WordPress 10 part online course. I also began watching and studying other free WordPress webinars on how to generate passive income using my blog. In time i was making a passive yet steady income from my blog. WordPress is the best site [platform] to purchase your domain and hosting. I give WordPress a 5 star rating and i highly recommend WordPress.

Pros

What i liked the most about this software was how easy it is to use. Anyone can actually do it. Anyone

Cons

I found nothing that i disliked about this software.

Sacha from sachax.com

Professional websites for (almost) every need

Adopting Wordpress as a solution for your customers that need a website, is a mandatory choice: setting up the environment is a matter of minutes, the server requirements are common and available on almost any web hosting service, the community behind Wordpress is really huge and, with standard design and programming skills, you can really pack wonderful products. The core of Wordpress (the starting package) has a lot, but the full power of the framework is unleashed thanks to the plugin architecture and the template system (themes). Plugins add almost any kind of functionality: from social media needs to showcases and e-commerce; from impressive sliders to portfolios and newsletters. Themes (the template system) allow you to design truly effective communication: modern themes are designed to allow users to craft their website with an incredible detail, providing end users with the most beautiful experience. As of today, you can install a theme and setup any kind of template, for any section of your website. Not only: Wordpress is greatly devoted to web standards and trends and it looks perfect on desktop computers, tablets and smartphones. We jumped on Wordpress since the first version, back in 2003. Since then, while implementing other solutions for huge online stores, we could provide a solution for small and medium enterprises at an incredibly affordable price. And this is really a great advantage: everyone can get a professional and effective product. Thumbs up!

Pros

Server requirements are minimal and available at a small price from any web hosting service. Plugins architecture allow you to add almost any functionality to the website and easily write one, if you need a specific tool. Template system - the so called "themes" - allow you to craft incredibly beautiful and responsive - looking perfect on any device - design. A huge community of developers makes sure you can solve problems fast. Websites can be up and running in almost no time. And can be updated and maintained by any designer/programmer, thanks to its architecture and ease of use. Your customers can update the website easily, with an intuitive and easy to use backend. Last but not least - at all! - as a developer and designer you can provide great products that are absolutely cost-effective.

Cons

If you have to run a complex online store, with a lot of products and categories, thousands of visitors and specific e-commerce needs, Wordpress might not be the perfect choice. But if you provide solutions for personal, small and medium businesses, this won't be a problem at all.

George Rex from ROC Aire Consulting Limited

The Most Usable and Feature-Rich CMS Ever

WordPress has evolved over the years, from a simple blogging tool to a sophisticated content development framework that can be used to build any kind of web system, including mobile. This incredible evolutionary fact has indeed increased its usability and have made me to continually horn my skills and experiences in this piece of software. Also, the fact that WordPress is Opensource and provides opportunity for extending its functions, gives rise to lots of useful plugins in its ecosystem.

Pros

For the fact that WordPress is flexible, simple to use and sophisticated to handle large projects at the same time, I can not help but love WordPress the more.

Cons

Most plugins and themes in the repository are not totally checked for conformity. Some of these plugins and themes are poorly coded and as such creates vulnerability concerns; allowing malicious inclusions and attacks on a standing website built on the framework.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

WordPress is simple to use, has a lot of extendable plugins and the famous 5-minute setup was something you can easily teach a newbie without hassle.

Stacy from Unknown Paranormal

Anyone can build their own website

I'm not new to building websites. I used to use Joomla and phpbb to build sites. I actually got fairly good at it. One day I decided to try Wordpress. I was concerned, as I didn't wish to build a blog. I always considered Wordpress blog software. I soon was very surprised that it goes well beyond blogs. It is one of the easiest to use to build your own website.

Pros

This software is beyond user friendly. With a small amount of research, you can build a professional looking website. This saves a purchaser a large amount of money. paying someone to build your site is very costly, and some non-for-profits simply don't have the capital to do so.

Cons

Unfortunately, Wordpress has always had a spam issue. Every contact form from Wordpress is constantly hit with spam. You can use captcha to offset the spam and use some plugins made to stop the spam, but there are always a few that slip through.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

Wordpress is quicker to update and to me has better security than the others.

Jake from Evergrow Marketing

The Best CMS Out There

I would choose no other platform for my website. I've built and managed sites on Wix, Squarespace, Shopify, and more. WordPress is by far the best CSM out there, especially for SEO. That's all our agency uses for our clients' sites. And if they're not on WordPress, we encourage them to migrate.

Pros

The best thing about WordPress is the amount of functionality and control it offers over your website. There's nothing you can't do with it. Since their CMS is an OpenSource platform and the most widely used CMS, just about every host out there can host your WordPress site. On the note of it being OpenSource, you're not bound to the first party features of the CMS like you would be with Wix or Squarespace. You can find a 3rd-party plugin for literally anything you need your site to do without having to have any website development background.

Cons

There is a learning curve to getting started, I'll admit. It takes anyone a decent amount of time to get going on the platform and really understand what they're doing. With that being said, there are tons of resources out there. All it takes is a little time investment to master your WordPress site. If you don't have anyone teach you how to operate the backend of the site, it can seem not very intuitive.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

Squarespace is a good platform. But it isn't scalable like WordPress and isn't the end goal. If I was going to switch from a lesser platform, I might as well get on the best platform and not settle for something of lower quality.

melissa from spcm

good website product

Overall I really like it - it is just inconsistency with customer service that wastes time

Pros

I like the ease of use and customer service is available in a variety of ways. It is easy for a non-developer and looks professional. Easy to add purchase or donate button. Over all I really like it

Cons

Some of the web pages are hard to change. One customer service agent told me to do it one way and actually changed some things themselves - but it was wrong and very difficult to change. The next customer service agent said it was set up wrong to begin with so those pages had to almost be deleted altogether. Also, there are many answers to the same question I found out - differing customer service agents will send instructions and links to differing ways of doing the same thing. Also, some customer service agents do not read the question in chat - it takes repeating the same question or giving the same answer several times as they do not take time to read

AS above

Jemma from Journo Resources Ltd

The only option I'd use for my website for my start-up

I used Wordpress to host my start-up Journo Resources and it's been a well functioning and customisable solution. It was easy to set up, I'm able to do the majority of it myself, and I've found it easy to integrate the work of outside developers. As my business is based entirely online, it's important for me to have a lot of control, and this helps me to do this is a customisable way.

Pros

There are a number of features I'm a big fan of on Wordpress.org, mainly centred around ease of use, customisation: This is one of the easiest pieces of kit to set up in terms of your website, and they're very good at walking you through how to tie it all together when you're starting out. It's intuitive, so you don't have to spend a lot of time explaining to people what they need to do, and there are good (and customisable) permission levels so you can make sure the right people have access to the right things. The platform is free! All you need to pay for is your own hosting. It's incredibly customisable. There are no shortage of Wordpress developers out there if you're looking for a custom build, and there are thousands of plug-ins and themes which can sort you out if you're looking for an out of the box solution. For the most part, I don't need anyone else to look at the website on a day to day basis, and am able to effectively manage it myself.

Cons

There is a ratings system on the plug-ins, but it would be good to make this more robust. Generally, though, I'm very happy with the service.

Chase from The Hope for Fertility Foundation

Perfect Tools for Building a Website Without Coding Skills

We have been very happy with WordPress for our use. We are a small organization and don't have any coding skills, so we needed something that we could use, update, manage without a lot of prior knowledge. We've had to make a lot of changes to Wordpress in order to keep is secure, and Wordpress is making large strides to help simplify this.

Pros

Wordpress was very simple to set up and get going. There are a lot of great templates to get started and lots of great plugins to use. Without any coding skills, we were able to get a fully functioning website up and running in a matter of hours, rather than days, months, or years.

Cons

There is a lot of maintenance and when you need to start customizing things beyond what your template or plugins are able to do for you, it can be really difficult. Wordpress was obviously created as a blogging platform, but has widely been used as a web designer. It is pretty clear that there are limitations when it comes to using Wordpress as a full website.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

WordPress was far simpler to use than any other platform we were able to look at. Plus being able to host Wordpress on our own servers (through Wordpress.org) for free was a huge benefit.

Jason from Ogre Techs

Easy, fast, ridiculously customizable

Years ago, when I first started using WordPress, it was because I'd been doing the occasional client website from scratch for many years. HTML, coded by hand, graphic and colors layouts, etc. Eventually it no longer made sense, especially as we moved into the era of working with databases, caching systems, etc. It just made sense to find a solution that already had that backend in place, rather than reinventing the wheel every time. So I tried several systems: Drupal, Joomla, and others, before finally coming to WordPress. When I finally tried it, it was a revelation: lots of clear documentation, a massive community of users who help each other through the learning curve and the assorted issues that inevitably appear, more plugins and themes than you could ever imagine. I stumbled a bit with the learning curve back then, though mind you, this was at least a decade ago. WordPress, in the time since, has become so easy to setup that most web hosts these days will, in fact, do it automatically at the press of a button if that's what you wish. Basic setup couldn't be any easier, in my estimation, and for a lot of people, that will be enough. If you're a more advanced user, however, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to extend the system's capabilities. Beyond plugins, there are also countless cloud services that integrate with WordPress in various ways. For example, FreshWorks offers a number of systems, such as help desk ticketing, live customer support chat, etc.

Pros

I've been using WordPress for many years, and the thing I like most is that it's constantly evolving, changing, becoming more than it was. Year after year, absolutely without fail, WordPress becomes a more sophisticated, more streamlined, more functional system for managing websites, and I can't recommend it enough.

Cons

Like any software system, WordPress has a learning curve that can be a little challenging if you're new to the world of Content Management Systems. You'll hear a lot about all that WP can do, and it's true, but often, that functionality comes via plugins or custom built themes you'll have to add yourself. It's not hard, and if you're an experienced web person, you'll get it easily, but for the newbie it might be a challenge. Don't worry, you can manage it, though.

Create, communicate and manage easily!

Wordpress is a platform designed to create personal blogs in a basic and simple way, especially since it is free and there is a great advantage when considering savings for your company ... It is a fast and efficient solution for those who seek to have a personal space as a blog where you can describe your opinions, thoughts or any other content that you consider appropriate, including as a catalog for simple sales that links to other applications is very useful. However; it is not a solution designed for complex digital projects such as a website with certain features, an online store or any other type of web page that contains certain programming features.

Pros

Its source code is accessible by anyone, which can be shared and modified to contribute to its development; that is, it is "open source". It's free, it allows you to download it without having to pay a dollar for downloading the source code. All the resources that WordPress offers are free, including: the core (your source code), thousands of templates of designs to decorate your website, along with thousands of plugins. Setting up WordPress is simple, it only requires filling a couple of data such as the name of the site, the general slogan that will be used, the email, and you will be ready to continue working on your site. One of the features that most caught my attention was the migration of hosting, has simple ways to migrate to other web hosting providers.

Cons

Limited changes in the web page, since Wordpress allows us to modify texts and images in a relatively comfortable way, but there are certain changes that are not available to the user because they are part of additional codes of the template and we can only change programmatically. In the "Editor" option in Wordpress we can access several layouts and style files to modify some contents of the web page, although if you do not master HTML, CSS, JavaScript or PHP you will have problems when making these changes. It usually leads to load problems in some of its topics because there are plugins that consume many resources. Depending on the subject we use and the hosting where we have hosted the website, the load will be more or less fast.

Default option for any level of professional website

I have been using Wordpress since it was first released. I gave up on it for years and then returned to it when it was becoming more of a CMS. I got frustrated with the limited development of important apps at the time like Buddypress and gave up again other than for blogging and if a client specifically wanted WP. Joomla is a lot better conceived as a CMS. Before WP and Joomla, I used phpNuke, post-nuke, xaraya, mambo and several other CMS and have since used or tested most of the contemporary options such as Drupal.

Pros

Best availability and quality of support available from third party products. For almost all needs there is a Wordpress option to plugin or API and there are quality developers always available.

Cons

It has become the default CMS. As a CMS it is not as elegant or modular as it should be and it was not designed to be a CMS but because of the other benefits it offers it is now the best option as a CMS.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

I used Drupal for application specific projects because there are some high quality options in areas such as LMS. But the default for me became Joomla, because of the very logically conceived and modular administration. From the very beginning of Joomla, infighting amongst lead developers reverberated to the whole community. Poor support from the best 3rd party developers has always been a problem for Joomla and the fact that many of them are scattered across the globe makes it a bigger problem. Compared to WP in particular, WP has become a better option unless your goal is very specific as a CMS where you can use the better Joomla administration without the need for missing 3rd party options. Even when Joomla was a legitimate or possibly superior option to WP, the overhead (number of calls on single transaction) was ridiculous. But for Joomla enthusiasts you lived with this for superior site administration. There remain a handful of third party apps that are superior on Joomla but many of the best have either come out with a WP option or completely abandoned Joomla for WP. Because of the extensive options WP offers in this area, you can also come up with better quality options and professionally supported 3rd party apps/plugins/themes. If you are based in the U.S. or enjoy the quality that U.S. based support offers, then WP is also leaps and bounds superior to any other option.

Need a Website? WordPress is the One for You!

WordPress's freely available website builder has allowed us to create a feature-filled website to which we can add, remove, or change information at a whim through quick access via computer or mobile to the website administration portal. Users can manage or post using both the web interface and the mobile app, which was incredibly useful to us. It has helped us achieve an online presence at a fraction of the cost compared to other platforms.

Pros

WordPress itself is offered for free as an open source tool (although they do also sell hosting plans and domain names if required). Its website administration portal is very easy to navigate and contains a wealth of help and support information in case you get stuck. There is a large collection of free website layout templates available that can be customised to your liking, as well as a large stock of free user-created plugins in order to add additional functionality to your website (for instance adding custom maintenance pages or contact forms). You can use the WordPress mobile app to manage your website, view visitor statistics, and post to your website.

Cons

Although WordPress itself is freely available to create websites with as an open source tool, they do also sell website hosting plans and domain names on their website; their pricing however is not as competitive compared to other website hosting companies such as GoDaddy or Wix. Recent updates to WordPress include a new post editing interface called 'Gutenberg', which is a radical redesign that may not sit well with those who have experience with and are used to the traditional editing interface of previous versions. Website layouts are somewhat basic using stock design layouts, this can be improved upon by purchasing layout modifying plugins.

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

We ultimately went with WordPress as using the free website builder and sourcing cheap website hosting ourselves came out as the cheaper option for us. In addition to this, it was easy to integrate our CRM systems with WordPress due to the abundance of plugins available.

Rosa from Freelancer

My experience with WordPress

WordPress was a good and nice experience for me, and it definetely satisfied my blogging needs. I cant say it was always smooth, specially when trying to customize my blog, but generally speaking I liked it a lot, specially the statistic data it provides for you and the community. I met a lot of really cool people from different countries through this site that shared my interests and published similar things to mine and that was a very enriching experience. My articles and stories got a fairly good traffic, all things considered, and I can say it mantains the time-money-value balance. Would encourage you to give it a try if you dont mind taking your time to understand the settings.

Pros

I used WordPress for blogging for almost two years. It was a personal blog in which I published opinion pieces and short stories mostly and my experience was generally good. I really like the fact that you can select from a varity of templates that are actually nice and aesthetic, unlike other sites and softwares that provide you ten templates at most of them kind of ugly. It allows a certain flexibility to personalize your site and to rearrange the templates. I also like that you can save entries and program them to automatically get published at a specific date and time, which is super useful. The community in general is nice and wide, you can find blogs of every topic and people that share your interests, which is really cool. It also has very nice options to show you the statistics of your site, like how many people are visiting your blog, how did they find it, which words they googled to find your articles, etc. That information is really useful to improve your sites traffic. I would go back to WordPress without a doubt if I ever started blogging again.

Cons

I did not love the blog administrator interface. I think it can be more intuitive. Sometimes I struggled to understand how to edit certain aspects of my blog, because I just could not find the option. I said before that you can edit and rearrange your template, and this is really cool, but sometimes it can be tricky to understand how to do it or to get exactly the look you are going for. You move something to the right and suddenly it is back again in the left and you dont even know why. Templates misbehave. Or they did back in my blogging days. Still, if you have enough time and patience, or you are not that much of a perfectionist, you can probably overlook this cons, they are not that big of a deal.

Wordpress - Best tool for putting up a website in seconds

I have used wordpress for putting up several friend and customers websites when I was working a IT project manager for one of my previous employer. It has helped shortening the deployment time of customer's. I work with this CMS for over than 6 years now and I would say it is the perfect fit for almost 90% of website design projects with the myriad of templates and plugins already available out there.

Pros

Support - The good thing about WordPress is the fact is wide used and widely supported by hosting companies. There is not a single website hosting provider that I know that is not supporting WordPress. Easy Installation: On most of the hosting providers, you simply have to fill a form and in one click get WordPress installed on your website. This is very useful for non-technical people. Easy website management: No need to be an IT guru to install wordpress and start publishing pages on the web in few minutes. Wordpress backend administration interface helps creating and editing webpages in few clicks. The only thing an administrator needs to know is how to login on the backend administration interface, create empty pages, and add contents including text, images, videos and finally publish it. Plugins: There is a plugin for almost everything you need to do on wordpress. There is a very strong community of developers designing useful plugins and publishing them on wordpress. Support: The WordPress community is really wide and active and for almost all bugs you will encounter, there is an already existing fix.

Cons

Some plugins are very sensitive to WordPress updates. This sometimes leads to a site breakdown until the problem plugin is fixed or WordPress is downgraded to the working version. This cannot really be imputed to WordPress, but to plugin owners, but a better coordination of WordPress update release and major plugin owners would make it really the best CMS to all website builders.

Petrus from Yookoo Ride

Great place to start your own site

WordPress is a great place to start for people getting their feet wet in having their own website. It has lots of features and options and the support community and documentation out there is fast and well established. It might not be for everyone, but I would recommend anyone new to the scene to start here. They will learn so much, even if they decide to move to another platform later on. The upside is that once it's set up, you do not need to pay hosting fees to a 3'rd party company. So you can really build something wonderful with little or no money.

Pros

A lot of support documentation and help available out there, as many people are using it. You can do it all for free, or on a shoe string budget, if you are patient enough, as there is a steep learning curve. No matter what you can think of, someone is probably doing it already with a WordPress site out there somewhere, so you just have to keep looking till you find the right info/help. Many hosting sites come WordPress 'ready' so you can have a fully installed site in seconds. A ton of plugins out there, and a lot of them are free... So you can ultimately get what you want/need provided you are willing to experiment, read and try a lot of them.

Cons

A bad plugin can break the entire site, and then is not always a simple click to roll back. Sometimes plugins do not work together, and there is no easy way to determine root cause or how to resolve. It's well known, so hackers often find vulnerabilities. That being said, you can always install some security plugins, and go with a hosting site that offers WordPress security. While you do not need to know how to code, you're going to have to learn some stuff, like making site backups, fixing security vulnerabilities and speeding up the site load time. Fortunately there is a lot of good info out there to help with all of this.

Matt from New Focus Films

Best Web Platform Available and Worth the Learning Curve

Wordpress is without exception the best web design platform available. If you require a blog that you'd like to customize or monetize, you need Wordpress. If you have require a business website that outranks competitors on Google search, you need Wordpress. There are few cases that I would recommend a different platform.

Pros

This review is about Wordpress.org, not Wordpress.com which is the free site (they have paid versions too though). I've built over a hundred sites with Wordpress. I've also built them from scratch in PHP and HTML, and with Wix and Squarespace, so I do have experience with the gamut of web design. Wordpress is by far the most versatile and widely used web design platform out there. Because it is so ubiquitous, it has the most available resources. There are thousands of themes so you don't have to create your site from a blank canvas. Many of these are free and those that do cost usually are very inexpensive. Plugins like Yoast that help your site's search engine optimization or plugins like Redirect which allow you to fix broken links or redirect a page you no longer want attracting traffic to a new page. And then there's the overall SEO of the site, which is where Wordpress truly excels over any other platform. Wordpress structures it's pages and posts in such a way that if you're willing to take advantage of it, Google will reward the site with a higher ranking. Also, Wordpress, unlike competitor platforms like Wix or Squarespace, is free! Many of the themes and most of the plugins are free too.

Cons

Wordpress doesn't have many cons, but here are the few: Domain registry and hosting is handled separately, by you. Customizing your site can definitely be challenging. It's not as easy as the competitor platforms. Site speed can be slow when you want to have a lot of background video. It's slow on any platform, but with Wordpress, it's extra slow. Only with excessive video background though, not at all in other cases.

Nigel Masimba from Calmlock Web Design

The WordPress Community Makes it the Best CMS

I've been using WordPress since 2016 and it has been an amazing journey. An important note to make is the difference between WordPress the software ( wordpress.org or dotorg) and WordPress the hosting service ( wordpress.com or dotcom ). Dot org is the project website where you can download the WordPress software to install on any hosting provider of your choice ( apart from wordpress.com ). Dotcom is a hosting service provider that is run Automattic, the company of WordPress project co-founder. I've had an overall positive experience with WordPress even though it has hit a few speed bumps in the past year, mainly due to the project to introduce a new editing interface. The new WordPress editor has caused a lot of conflict within the WordPress community however, I believe the new editor will ensure WordPress' relevance in future. I highly recommend WordPress for almost every website on the internet. if someone argue against it due to a proprietary system, I would suggest a headless setup where WordPress only handles the display of data, while a proprietary system handles the manipulation of data.

Pros

The most important thing about WordPress is the community! People who are passionate about WordPress have formed a vast network of online communities that communicate online and also meetup regularly in person. The WordPress community gives members support, training, and motivation. WordPress has a low barrier to entry. No matter your skill level or goals WordPress has an entry point for everyone. WordPress has the slogan "Code is Poetry", which can be interpreted as meaning that code is beautiful to everyone in different ways. Whether you're a beginner, writer, web developer, or advanced coder you can use WordPress to achieve your goals at or beyond your initial skill level with relative ease. WordPress is highly flexible thanks to its theme and plugin system. Plugins allow you to add custom functionality to a website. You can download free plugins from the WordPress repository or get advanced premium plugins with all the bells and whistles you need. Themes allow you to change the appearance of a site. There are thousands of free, awesome WordPress themes, as well as paid themes that add extra finesse to the design of websites. WordPress is free. The basic WordPress software is free to download and do whatever you want with it. For services like domains, hosting, or additional functionality you may still have to pay, depending on the service provider.

Cons

Unless someone built a website for you, you have to manage WordPress on your own. This can be challenging when you want to perform the core functions of your business and maintain a website as well. Adding customization can also be challenging however, WordPress is less challenging than most of its competitors. WordPress has a lot of unnecessary legacy bloat. It often maintains support for outdated software to ensure backwards compatibility. This isn't a problem for ordinary users however, it can be challenging for developers who are new to WordPress. WordPress requires regular updates of themes, plugins an WordPress itself. This can be a nuisance. You can automate the updates but this adds the risk of site downtime in the event of incompatible third-party updates. While WordPress typically very secure vulnerabilities are sometimes revealed in the WordPress core code or third-party add-ons. Patches are usually added quickly, though. Some may prefer proprietary systems where vulnerabilities are not available to the general public. In December 2019 a major update to WordPress was released along with version 5.0, which caused a bit of turmoil within the ecosystem. While I believe the update will benefit WordPress in the long run, there has been a lot of discussion as to whether the update was executed well or if at all was necessary. The conflict revolves around the introduction of a new editor sometimes called the Gutenberg editor. You may want to look it up.

Great for fussy UI people and amateurs alike

WordPress is a large part of my business - developing it for clients with businesses. I have also worked on web platforms such as Wix, Squarespace, and Shopify. And the last 2 are pretty good! Once people have those kinds of sites up and running, however, I find them wanting customizations to their sites that are not possible on those platforms. Had they set up their sites using WordPress, it would have. Clearly, I enjoy working on WordPress sites a lot!

Pros

The reason why I turned to WordPress expertise was because basically everyone else started to, too! The benefit of this is that people of all talents are creating all sorts of apps (called plugins) that have great functions and features for it. Same thing for the themes (that's the look of the site). There's nothing that can't be done with WordPress. Basic awesome websites. Amazing multi-functional enterprise-level websites. Even if you're not an expert, and don't have high demands for your website to ... build a rocket ship for you... you can still enjoy using it and getting your business or your artwork out to the people.

Cons

Funny enough, the thing that makes it so great can also be a thorn in the side. Just because your WordPress site can do all these cool things such as connect people from your site to an autoreponder email list, or accept payments via Paypal easily, it does not also mean that removing other keystrokes/steps for other functions is as easy. So website owners who love their WordPress sites and want the sites to be even more efficient, to do more things automatically, often come across this tricky situation where 'customization' is required. And that means testing, time, and money. Sometimes significant amounts. Customization is open ended. The sky is the limit to what your website can do. But just because it offers a whole lot of cool features out of the box doesn't mean that adding to those features is easy. That's something I run into a lot with clients. The other thing is that the high level of free offerings of apps (again, called plugins) means your website will be able to do a bunch of cool things for free. But you have to be somewhat aware of your site on a regular basis to make sure that the plugins remain up to date and don't cause conflicts with other parts of the website. Regular maintenance does not have to be a big deal or cost at all. But if you don't do it, the costs can become huge when you have to clean something up.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 10,643 reviews