(6,272)

(4,873)

4,873

(1,372)

1,372

• Pros

• "Outstanding performance, highly accessible, easy to use and the pricing is by far the best."

• "I really enjoy it as a user and highly recommend it to all organizations as the best in value for money."

• "The ease of use and ability to have non organizational resources be a part of projects is fantastic."

• Cons

• "I am a multi-disciplinary designer myself, and despite trying (very hard) several times to use Basecamp, I just can't get past how ugly, unintuitive, and clunky the UI is."

• "I just found it boring that you can only view one person's task list at a time, if you have a project with multiple members, it makes it difficult."

• "It is integrated with limited software which restricts to carry out multidimensional projects. It’s pricing is also very high, it restrict its use for small organizations."

Browse Basecamp Reviews

Syamir from Pejabat Pendidikan Daerah Klang

Improve project management effectiveness

What i have realize with Basecamp is, we have improve the way my team communicate. We have ditch from using email or other messenger application, and mainly using Basecamp as our communication platform. It is effective because we can quickly pinpoint the subject of our discussion and attaching document to it.

Pros

Tracking for a project progress by team members and keeping a quick communication contact with my colleague is easy to do with Basecamp. Its workflow method to managing many project that are running at the same time is flawless. Separating each team members roles and their responsibilities towards the project only need a single click.

Cons

The feature tools name is quite funny, they use term 'campfire' to indicate messenger board where people gathering for discussion. There are some integration that are not well connected, my integration with google calendar is choppy and some of my calendar event is not properly exported to Basecamp calendar.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

Asana is too complicated and expensive for us. Basecamp can do the same with less cost.

Nichole from Wild Me

The best all in one HQ for remote teams

Overall, I love the way it feels like a virtual headquarters for your company where employees can chat, stay up to date with projects, and post all related docs and files, and integrate schedules, but in order to get the best experience with running an office remotely there is such limitation and little customization available. This is a great start, but you still need to use other tools to get a comprehensive set of tools to run and operate your business.

Pros

I love the fact that basecamp feels like a virtual office. The dashboard looks like virtual rooms that one can enter depending on the department you want to access. Basecamp has many features to make it feel like you're at the office like the different departments with access to files, chat, project management , to-do's, groups, and a link to schedule your time and tasks and keep track of meetings.

Cons

There is very little customization that can be done besides adding a company logo, and setting up your departments, groups and selecting which features to incorporate into the department tiles. I would love to be able to custom colorize the look and feel to make it more unique and visual, but there are limitations. Each tile that can be used for departments or projects, also have very little room for customization and you're not able to create any unique features besides your standard to dos, schedule, chat, and files.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

ability to have employees connect in one place rather than just working separately and feeling disconnected

Bethany from Publish with Pleasure

Industry: Publishing

My, well, base camp for client communications!

I create an individual Basecamp project for each of my clients to handle communication, deadlines, and file-sharing. Basecamp is the only project management software I've found that really excels at being used in a client-facing manner. I can get clients set up within minutes without confusing or overwhelming them.

Pros

My use of Basecamp is unique in that I personally don't need project management software as much as a client communication interface, and Basecamp is perfect for that! My work requires me to implement deadlines for both my team and my clients, and Basecamp allows me to clearly communicate that entire timeline while keeping all files and communication in one place. It really is a perfect "home base"!

Cons

I'd love to be able to customize which projects we receive updates on! Instead of just choosing email updates or no email updates, it would be great to have a newsfeed of only starred projects or even the ability to designate and filter by role within a project. I also feel that the jump between Basecamp Personal and Basecamp Business is a bit too stark. I'd love to see, say, a Basecamp Entrepreneur option in between aimed at companies that don't need unlimited features and can't afford the $99 monthly price point. Basecamp 2's "10 projects for $20/month" package would be an ideal model!

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

While I preferred the pricing structure of the alternative products, Basecamp can't be beaten in terms of client friendliness.

I'm not sure if it's the same people on this one, since there are different versions of this gig sw

For the fact that it's an app on a major app store, I would have obviously come across it, for the fact that it was something of some form of various thing that I would come across in categorical and ad hoc searching, as it turns out. Aside from not understanding what the purpose of the software was, based on the description that was included in all of the versions in the App Store, I found it particularly disparaging to the community that they framed the purpose of the app as an occupation and dump in of trucks and trailers, and tons of people from out of town, on any given day, whereas the trailers were there in supposition that they were showers that were provided to the homeless, on one day. On one hand, they're not there every day, but on the other hand, it was a bit strange that this ended up being what the app is about.

Pros

In essence, I suppose that this app seems a bit in opposition to the browsing app store user coming across it and then, at some point, upon trying to understand what the portent of the impact of the software is, fairly soon turns up browsing through more apps, wondering what this app is about; particularly to have 3 release versions of it, at this point in time. Regardless, it turned in to a yellow sign "base camp" social work news article publication thing for the sake of publicizing push material of support for what ended up being a seething attrition for the locals of the area where the "base camp" installment of "obviously, it's on account of the app in the app store thing," and on top of that, there was significant opposition to me as a mental health client recipient of services (supposedly), just tangentially, and for a few times, perhaps, of this art therapy group of people, and then they talked and acted out towards me in my head, outside of any sort of professional or service provider and client circumstances.

Cons

I feel like the spirit of development in software, for the purpose of disparaging the client, of a completely different and separate supposition of relation, whatsoever, in regards to the original purpose of meeting with these developers, is simply wrong and unprofessional. These developers cause a significant problem in a different locality between people who are not housed in downtown Los Angeles, on the incident that happened witnessed, and whatever the story was in my head about what anyone might think about such an influx of people in to the area, which is all too common, in various ways; On top of that, they're plotted right at 222 S. Hill St. 7th floor, Los Angeles, CA, 90012, and they do events of disparagement against me and my family commonly, while trying to suppose that their self esteem is supported and is superior, while homeless and mentally ill bullying and stalking victims are inferior, on account of group brute strength over an individual. They run ostensibly false and slight charity drives for supposedly unfortunate other people.

Jason from Ildis

Making project management easier

Overall, Basecamp is a solid product that I use almost daily to manage projects. I haven't had any major issues with the software but would like to be able to easily reference tips and tricks to improve my workflow.

Pros

The ability to collaborate with other people on my team on task management is critical to making sure the work is done on time. Basecamp also allows me to communicate with clients and vendors on project specifics tasks and goals which means less time writing emails and more time getting things accomplished.

Cons

The user interface is a little too bare-bones, and things aren't always intuitive. I would like to see more tips on how to set projects up and manage them properly.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

More clients were using basecamp already.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

I had more clients that were using Basecamp, so it made sense to be on the same platform as them.

Kevin from CANUSA Automotive Warehousing

Basecamp for Teams

We have started and completed close to 150 projects in Basecamp; crossing every department in our organization. It has helped us keep people informed, keep tasks on target, and complete projects in a timely and efficient manner. Their help system is very detailed. It seems like most reviewers just can not find it. https://3.basecamp-help.com/ We are very pleased with the product, but we want to see more enhancements coming, and more often. The product desperately needs sublists, priorities, milestones, and very tight integration with Office 365. We would also like to see the use of templates. Anything from planning a canoe trip to launching a new retail store would be very helpful. Overall, it is a great product, but we may outgrow it if enhancements are not added. If some of these features do not come soon, it may drive long-standing customers away from the product.

Pros

We have been using Basecamp for 7 years now. What we liked at first was the simple design and speed at which you can learn the product. You can be up, running and have a project underway in less than 10 minutes. It checked all the boxes initially. Simple to use, ability to create project groups and associated tasks, assign users, and dates, and attach files. In Basecamp 3 they added grouped tasks within the parent list, and the ability to assign multiple people to a single task.

Cons

Basecamp needs sublists, priorities, and milstones. They also need to build a native integration completely into Office 365. Instead of fighting it, embrace Office 365 Sharepoint, Onedrive, and Teams.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

Basecamp was far simpler to use, less expensive, had all the features we needed, and none that we didn't. We just needed a simple to use, and well-thought-out management tool.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

Prior to switching the company used a very simple excel list. Excel was too static and not the ideal use of the product.

Maszni from Astro

Good software for building project management

I mainly use it to collaborating on project with my team members which working on the other branches. We can communicate and work on the same task in real-time and making the project collaboration process very effective.

Pros

The feature and menu is perfectly placed in the software dashboard. I can easily find the tools that i need really fast and that has speed up my work progress. All my project and the progress can be tracked by the visual percentage thus make it more easier to know the project level of completion.

Cons

Basecamp tools for task management is somewhat lacking because there are no tools to managing a complex project that need many resources for the project. The software dashboard and overall design is too old and very unappealing compared to other software that has more modern looking software design.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

I have using the Asana trial period, and Basecamp has more to give than Asana and fraction the cost.

Zuhairah from Shopee

Basecamp as a tracker for project and task

I have use it with my team for our marketing department and it proven has help us to accelerate our effectiveness in finishing our task and project. Its build-in communication hub let us to communicate quickly and solve any problem arise on the spot.

Pros

The most impactful feature that Basecamp has for me is the ability to know the percentage of the project that has finish and track which element is complete or still under progress. It help me to have a better insight of the project completion and go forward with the report. Its minimalist concept of the dashboard also help me to find the tools that i need quickly.

Cons

It is perfect to managing a simple and basic project with this software, but it will be harder to manage it for a project that need feature like Gantt Charts or Kanban Board that are more suitable to manage complex process project.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

We use this software for more basic project that we had, and it works quickly than Trello.

Mary Ellen from Rep Cap

Basic functionality, hasn't kept pace with competitors

Basecamp has been the foundation of our company's project management and communication systems for the past 9 years, but we're starting to feel like we've outgrown it. Those frustrations combined with the recent leadership missteps have us shopping for an alternative.

Pros

Basecamp is an extremely accessible, cost-effective task management system for simple projects and teams. It's easy to invite people to specific projects without adding to the cost.

Cons

Having to use third-party tools for basic functionality, such as kanban boards and time/points tracking. Lack of common milestone tracking, such Gantt charts.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

At the time, we preferred the simplicity of the UX/UI and the functionality for the price. As a remote-first company, we also appreciated the management philosophy of the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN].

Victor from Lightspeed HQ

Great scalable solution for small and medium size businesses

For small to medium-sized businesses, Basecamp is a great solution to simplify the process of creating new products, from ideation to completion.

Pros

Basecamp is very easy to use, the interface is clean and intuitive. We can invite external clients to see the status of their projects without incurring in additional costs and the pricing strategy makes sense for us. We can continue to hire new people without having to buy additional licenses.

Cons

I with that tasks had their own ID that we could refer to later. Moving from systems such as Jira where each ticket had an identifier, this is something we miss in Basecamp and would love to see implemented.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

We've tried a few project management software and basecamp was one of the easiest ones to work with. We were also familiar with the work done by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], which increased our confidence in the company.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

Jira was too complicated and clanky for the small team and kind of projects we were dealing with, we also needed to give access to external parties to follow the progress of their project, which was not easily done in Jira.

USMAN ZAFAR from Aspire College

Best and All-In-One Toolkit for Working Remotely

Pros

Our team is using Basecamp since 2019 and all the things are managed and well settled because of Basecamp. Our messages, schedules to do the tasks, our important documents, our conversations regarding the projects and tasks are safe and well managed on Basecamp. Some of the best and helpful features are: 1. Message Board: You can post announcements, pitch ideas and check progress with daily and on time updates. 2. To-do's: Best option is to set the to-do option in which one can easily make lists of the work or task the you want to get done, set due dates for a tasks and much more. 3. Schedule: You can set important dates on a schedule and can subscribe events in google calendar, Outlook or ical. 4. Docs and files: Easiest and helpful thing us to share the files with teams but the exciting thing is that you can upload and share docs, files, images and spreadsheets with your team and organize in folder as yiu want so they're easy to find. 5. Group chat: You don't need to talk to your teammates using your mobile number here in Basecamp you can easily chat with group members, ask random and important questions relevant to your queries and share stuff without any problem. In simple, Basecamp is the best platform that have the tools for any company or firm includes all the tools all teams need to work together. Keep everyone in the loop without all the meetings.

Cons

As I'm using Basecamp without facing any problem so a big Thank you to the Basecamp team. All the tools and features are very helpful. Even one can try Basecamp free trial without any credit card requirement. You can enjoy free trial then you can select package according to your needs and requirements. I hope you really enjoy it. One suggestion to Basecamp team is that please add special package and tools for teachers and students. In covid-19 situation every school and college facing problems in online learning, I suggest to add special LMS features for education side. Again Thanks

Great for Project Management

Love basecamp. Easiest software to use to project manage. We use this every single day. Don't foresee that changing anytime soon!

Pros

Such an easy way to communicate with teammates on a project, track our progress, share files, and project manage. We also use the basecamp calendar to track all of our marketing emails, social media ads/posts, print marketing, and events. It allows for easy "Traffic control" of marketing efforts. I also love that when you want to communicate on a project/task, you may have for example 10 teammates on the project but you can pick for your email notification of the new message/post to only go to specific individuals among those 10 included so it still tracks the conversation but only notifies those needed without overwhelming others with tons of email notifications.

Cons

Honestly nothing. This software has so much to offer and they have amazing notifications and tutorials that are 5min or less to learn more to better project manage and take advantage of everything it has to offer. If anything (and to be honest - perhaps they have it and i just dont realize), it would be great to have a quick way to review marketing pieces and comment on needed updates/changes made to a document vs. as almost like a "chat"... we separately use inmotion to review marketing pieces while also using basecamp to project manage.

Ease of use.

Chuck from That.church

Basecamp is irreplaceable! Trust me, we actually tried too Lol!

We use base camp for each department. Every team has their own project. Within each project is every teams important training documents documents, files, and weekly tasks. We use the ping feature for group messages. It has made file sharing very easy. Many of our documents have to be referenced by several different at various times throughout the year. Basecamp makes it simple to keep up with these documents.

Pros

Basecamp has been an amazing product for us for years now! It allows us to manage projects in events by keeping to do lists, files, and instructions all in one place.The team I manage uses it to assign tasks, communicate between team members and keep up with conversations so we can reference them later, and , keep track of files and receipts. Every document and system that our team members need access to can be attained in one place. There is a little bit of a learning curve at first but it makes sense very quickly the more you use it.

Cons

There is a little bit of a learning curve at first but it makes sense very quickly the more you use it. There are really only two things that I dislike about Basecamp but I’ve learned to live with them for now. 1.). There is a great variety of ways to send communication. You can send a ping (which is kind of like an instant message), You can make a comment on the general message board of each project, you can comment on the calendar item, you can comment on the task item itself, and you can comment on individual files you add. At first it seems real handy but once you start adding multiple projects it can sometimes be difficult to go back and figure out where a conversation happened. Thankfully the search icon works rather well in these instances but not always. The way we have gotten around this is to make sure our Team is clearly instructed on what features we will use to communicate various kinds of information. 2.) there is a feature called haystack. This functions as your personal inbox letting you know what due dates are approaching, what tasks were recently assigned, and what conversations have happened recently that you need to be part of. However, once you click on an item it disappears immediately from your inbox. So when you see something important, you need to respond or add a personal to do immediately. I wish it didn’t delete until you told it to delete like a normal email inbox. This way you could come back to the message and deal with it at a better time.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

We originally used base camp for years. About four years ago we tried office 365. We found that the same small problems we had with Basecamp, we also had with Microsoft. However they were much more confusing. Unlike base camp, Microsoft separates its features and to several different apps. For files they have one drive. For communication they have teams. And for everything else they have SharePoint which kind of combined them all together. What we found was this was more confusing for our team as a whole especially for the project managers themselves. With Basecamp you select the project you want to work on and everything you need for that project is there. The mobile app pretty much has most of the same features as the desktop version which is a plus. We kept teams for about a year and then went back to base camp. We still have an office 365 account but use it mostly for Word and Excel documents and online questionnaires

Bryce from Hurricane City Recreation

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Best Bang for the Buck

Our team has been better at communicating with one another and collaborating on ideas. It has connected the team and made it easier to know what everyone is working on without it feeling like big brother is watching what you do.

Pros

I love how I pay a yearly fee and I can have unlimited users, projects, files, due dates, etc. We looked into other software and no one could match the ease of use and affordability for a city government on a budget. I love how you can search by keyword and find what you need, I love the chatting option between employees and I love how you can create projects and assignments with ease.

Cons

I wish you could integrate your google calendar with this software.

Cost

Evan from SOS International

Unburden your Inbox!

I encourage you and your team at least test this system. If you find yourself sorting through constant emails to find where you left off on a project- this is for you! For our team, this dissipates stress in the workplace and I have found it permit clearer communication across departments, providing for an amplified experience when teams meet in person- more productive meetings.

Pros

As a non-profit end-user, there are multiple projects I will have on my plate on any given day. In 2020 alone, I was managing the implementation of database training, following-up with Q&A from my colleagues while also navigating new tech integrations for our CRM. With so many moving parts coupled with a shift to heavy remote work, Basecamp provided an ease in transition, permitting us to keep pace with our current systems so that we would not lose the full measure of impact we have on providing aid to at-risk children during the pandemic. In short- less clutter in your standard email inbox and rapid collaboration within secure channels.

Cons

You do not have the ability to archive content, which can make sorting difficult if you are use to this dynamic in say Gmail.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

While we used Slack for a short-while, I found that it was not as user-friendly across the different generations represented within our office.

Shannon from A Little Adrift

Feature Rich and Effective for Project Management

I signed up for Basecamp to work within a client's Basecamp processes, and now I use it to manage most everything that I work on in collaboration with others. It makes a lot of sense and is intuitive once you accustom to how the projects and to-do lists work.

Pros

The ability to add clients to a project and hide them from information within the project is SO handy. We use that feature a lot for internal to-dos and managing the client without them seeing behind-the-scenes.

Cons

To-do lists are pretty basic. You can assign to a person and add a date, but if you are used to feature-rich todo lists (embedded images, color coding, sub-checklists in a to-do, etc) then you will be disappointed. And although I find the "me" tab easy and intuitive, when we add new members to a project they almost universally struggle in the first weeks to really use Basecamp to its highest functionality.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

I switched over to Basecamp because it's what my clients were using. That said, I still use Trello for my personal projects and there is a lot of Trello functionality that is done better over there, and vice-versa. It really depends on the project whether I use Trello or Basecamp.

Daniel from Self-Employed

Basecamp - for small and (some) medium-sized projects

I use Basecamp to manage part of my projects. It helps me to keep in better connection with my clients and the members of the team. I think it is well suited for small and maybe medium-sized projects. It’s reliable and effective at keeping everything organized as long as your teams will have less than 20 members. But if you’re taking into consideration to use Basecamp, you must also evaluate the complexity of the project and the need of communication between members. Sometimes the conversation will become hard to follow because everything is put together, and after a while it’s difficult to keep track of it. We also use the document management and sharing feature to organize project files. Number of emails between team members and/or client dropped after starting using Basecamp. In fact, you can use Basecamp entirely as a communication platform to organize and keep in touch with your clients. Basecamp consolidates all messages with the client in one place. If the projects are for external clients you can add them to your project and choose only certain resources that they can have access to.

Pros

Basecamp has a very easy to use and intuitive interface. Managing and supervising projects is clean and efficient. It allows us to share only certain resources with the client. Groups allow team members to collaborate and share resources. Members can communicate real-time with the chat or direct messages(pings) or by posting on messages board. I can dismiss questions or responses if inadequate for the group. We’re able to set a responsible and set deadlines for tasks. I can quickly see the tasks we still need to do. I like how I can have all communication with the client in one place. We don’t need to communicate by emails so often. Calendar will tell us the time spent and the deadline of the projects. You can define project hierarchies to break down projects and make them more manageable. Sometimes I need to share something with a person who’s not on the team; for this I can create a public share link. We can use templates to speed up the creation of similar projects.

Cons

There is no plan between Free and Business (99USD/month). Grouping and following longer discussions is not that easy. I would like to have the possibility to delete files in bulk. The calendar is just basic, it lacks many features like exporting or syncing with external apps/tools. I think there are too many email notifications. I would like to correct or edit online an already uploaded document. If you want to change the design after your company branding, don't expect that from Basecamp. I miss a standard feature to prioritize the tasks so we can drop out our custom conventions.

Sridhar from SRC Technologies Pvt Ltd

Decent project management tool for small teams!

We started Basecamp in v2 and still using it for smaller internal projects. Basecamp does a lot good when you are working with smaller simple focused projects which are run individually. Most of our clients are now demanding to be in Slack or MS Teams as part of collaboration so we have to move to newer tools and apps as required by clients. As part of 2020/2021 vision, we are now targeting to move all our artifacts and teams to Slack or MS Teams and service most of our collaboration/discussion/file sharing

Pros

The most important and stand out feature of the product is the fixed pricing. Its use all you can and no per user seating billing makes it absolutely a product for internal smaller teams. We have used this product for little over 2 years now and is used by various teams inside the company. With basic features like tasks, calendar, file sharing, we found it relatively smaller projects which does not involve too many requirement changes or too much of pre-start documentation required.

Cons

Handling large multiple projects, tracking each project activities, and above all tracking individual contractors work/ timesheet tracking has been a pain point with this product for us. Check-ins work great for a product company but since ours is a technology services projects where work really has to be tracked and detailed at most levels has been a challenge for us. Most of our clients are already on or they prefer/recommend apps from slack and MS Teams and demand to use basecamp in their ecosystem is not very in demand for us.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

The number #1 was obviously fixed price of the product and not per seat basis. We found value in collaboration and getting things done with smaller teams and smaller projects. We can easily add clients and share only data that we need.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

Trello was adopted well by most of our clients and we proposed to use the Trello boards for projects. But the fact is that we don't always use Agile strictly in "services" industry. As in all services companies, we find ourselves always racing against time, hence the boards will not always reflect correct effort, time or estimation. Hence we made a switch from Trello to Basecamp as it offered client portal which can be shared and we can add clients and wanted more collaboration

Curt from HypeLife Brands

Basecamp helps us streamline project/account management and increase our efficiency

Overall, we're very happy here at my startup marketing agency, HypeLife Brands, with Basecamp...we've been using it for a VERY long time and haven't looked back or considered anything else really. I think the 37Signals team has done a great job with the product from the beginning.

Pros

The ability to manage a team, often in multiple locales, especially in the days of COVID now, much easier than any other alternative out there.

Cons

Sometimes a conversation for tasks becomes non-linear though Basecamp is setup in a linear fashion, so it can be a bit tricky to manage that without the ability to thread comments, but this is more of an advanced user need I think :-)

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

I felt Basecamp was easier and cleaner for me as a project and account manager for our select clients, working on accounts with a sort of "agile within waterfall" hybrid approach to how we work...so Basecamp just fit much better, and I'm a big fan of 37signals' core philosophy too in building businesses, so there was really no competition in the end.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

We need a more robust, and hosted option instead of having to maintain and customize a tool to our needs on a local version. Basecamp fit the bill at the time and we haven't had to make a single customization once adopting its workflow.

Kim from Kingstone Insurance

Fixed our team!

This program solves our disorganization and order of operations issues we were having.

Pros

I think the most impactful part of the program is that now everything is in one place and everything is accountable for I'm bored. You no longer have to worry if you directed someone to do something and if they completed or not. This now helps to get everything organized and in order as if there was an employee they're performing all of the work.

Cons

I haven't done anything that we liked least about it yet play the but we do like the improvements because we had tried it a few years ago and it didn't work as well as it does now for our company.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

The reviews for this and the price.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

We saw a review online for this program

Jonathan from Bennett Software Solutions LLC

Great choice for team discussion, file sharing and basic task tracking

Our overall experience has been great. We were using a custom-built tool for team communication, but ultimately decided that Basecamp just has more features and will save us a lot of cash in the long run versus building the tool ourselves. It's nice that there is a flat charge for the service, instead of charging by the user like some other services do. This saves us a considerable amount of money.

Pros

It was very easy to setup and get going. We just invited our team members in with each of their email addresses and it handled the rest. Our entire team found it easy to create their account or do a social login. We use it primarily as a message board and chat system on our team. I really like how the entire message board is searchable, which is useful for finding things later on. "Remember when we talked about XYZ", and you can just search for XYZ and it shows up quickly. The calendar and file sharing has also come in handy for simple things, though it's not as robust as using something like Google Calendar or Google Drive. Basecamp also has a useful API that we've used to pull some data out of their system and display it in our other systems. The mobile app works great. It's probably one of the best designed apps I've ever used, to be honest. It makes it easy to talk with the team while on-the-go.

Cons

I was hoping for some kind of wiki system to be included with Basecamp. You can kinda make up your own wiki using specific categories on the message board and file sharing, but it's not quite the same. A wiki would be really helpful for internal documentation.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

Basecamp seemed better suited for the team communication that we were going for. The Message Board has worked perfectly for us. However, if our needs were more focused on task management, then I think Asana would have been a better tool. Basecamp's task management is essentially a team-based to-do list that is fine but lacking some of the advanced features of its competitors.

Tamara from Knott's Speakeasy Toastmasters Club

Industry: Public Relations and Communications

Basecamp - Great for young people, not user friendly for older generations

I had to give a presentation on Toastmaster's Pathways and navigating to and through Basecamp and I realized we are not utilizing a lot of the great features Basecamp offers. Again, a lot of the members I've spoken with (both local and international) all say the same thing, that it's confusing to navigate through, the look of the website changed and the headers are confusing. The word Basecamp didn't sit well with a lot of people, but after searching this on YouTube I figured out that Toastmaster's didn't do a good job of explaining what is Basecamp and what the purpose of Basecamp is. If they had chosen to use words or headers like, "Account" that would sound more familiar it would've helped with getting to know the layout. Also, finding materials is still a bit of a maze, but again, that's the organizations lack of set-up and not really Basecamp's fault. With Basecamp all of the learning materials that used to be in booklets were now transferred to the computer and had live video demonstrations, organized power points and links to more resources beyond what is written on the page; it definitely enhanced our learning but also overwhelmed us because there were almost too many resources available in every language you can think of in different parts of the site. Now that I know that Basecamp is a project management software I can help others learn about it and utilize it to the fullest extent.

Pros

I use this software for my Toastmaster's Club and it has a lot of great features that aren't being utilized because of the confusion of maneuvering through it. I can: leave feedback or ask for feedback from other members, track my progress via pie charts, access multimedia learning materials easily, store documents related to my project for historic record or for easy recall.

Cons

Toastmaster's is an world renown organization that has a very even mix of younger and older or retired members; the oldest member in my club is 92 years old. As of June this year, everyone was required to get a Pathways account and log into their Base Camp. I am one of the younger members (39 years old) and even I didn't find Basecamp to be clear cut or intuitive and was frustrated. It got so bad, that the area directors asked every club to nominate a Toastmaster's Pathways or Base Camp "Ambassador" that they can refer people to when they needed help. We had a virtual conference recently and there was an intro class on how to use Pathways/Base Camp and everyone was clearly confused and it didn't make sense to them. There were too many steps to get to the login pages and to get to the actual base camp. Also, the word base camp was not explained to everyone. I think we were looking for something like, "Account" which is equivalent to going to your base camp. I believe the roll out of this new website and way of tracking our progress was poor and has cause a lot of frustration, discouragement and even loss of membership for our older members.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

I didn't choose Basecamp, the organization I'm a part of choose this. My guess is a lot of developers were also a part of Toastmasters and saw the need to move everything online.

Terrance from Mavenforce

Recommended - Use it daily

We use Basecamp almost on a daily basis. It is fantastic for managing our team and different partners. Our operations side has also been thrilled with the lists that Basecamp provides. Makes it easy for managers to see what has been completed

Pros

Basecamp is well suited for project management. I've used Trello historically but it never had the same degree of functionality. I love the fact that I can have lists, easily collaborate with others and make it almost like a task force that I can assign to various people on our tea.m It was easy enough to implement and also great if you need to hit the ground running since the learning curve is virtually non existant.

Cons

I use Basecamp 2 and the part I like least about the software is that within the cards itself, I can't @person to provide updates. I can assign various cards to specific people but can't call out specific individuals in those cards.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

Trello is limited to kanban boards. We needed to have different views and basecamp was able to provide that at a cost that we could afford.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

Features and functionality. Trello is great if you like the kanban approach but we needed something that had more features.

Ryan from Brightstar

Basecamp allows me to track my team's progress easily and efficiently

I've used Basecamp for my team for several years now. The communications solutions, file management services and archival features are all excellent. As an administrator and user, I highly recommend Basecamp for any organization with several ongoing and simultaneous projects.

Pros

Basecamp is a project management solution that allows me to stay on top of my team's projects with ease. Projects can be categorized and organized so that only members working on a particular project are exposed to the communications and back and forth. We use Basecamp as our primary solution because it is easy to implement and onboard, simple to use and has a robust set of features that are among the best in the industry for what we need.

Cons

My only complaint is that the different versions of Basecamp have different features. For example, the version we use does not allow for time tracking. While this is not necessary, as we don't bill out by the quarter hour, it would be a nice feature that would allow me to better understand how long certain tasks take my team members. If Basecamp had universal features across all versions, this would be a miracle solution.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

Basecamp is simply more user friendly for my organization. We didn't want to use the same ticketing system that our dev ops or IT uses because we had differing needs.

Kristen from Vernier Software & Technology

Basecamp Has Helped Us Organize the Chaos

Our marketing team was the first to implement Basecamp, and, eventually, the benefits to project management were so evident that most of our company uses the platform—from R&D to technical support. The application is quite intuitive, requires very little training for use, and offers multiple ways to communicate: private messaging, group chat, and message boards. The integration Basecamp offers with Google is also seamless. Tip: Once your teams are established, setting communication expectations for each tool is a necessary step to achieving a high efficiency.

Pros

The integrations that Basecamp provides make communication for cross-departmental projects quick and effective. The integration we use the most is the support of Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Calendar. Within Google Drive, the folder system makes it often difficult to find documents, but Basecamp allows not only Google Docs and Google Sheets to be linked to, but conversations about that specific document to take place in one place. This makes it easy to hand off documents and files to another department, route items to our publication team, or to request feedback from partners. As an original user from Basecamp 1, there have been so many improvements to the second and third editions. Basecamp certainly does an excellent job listening to its users.

Cons

The only change in version 3 that I am disappointed with is the elimination of the built-in calendar. What used to be "Events" with an interactive project calendar became the "Schedule." The Events interactive project calendar functioned a lot like a Google Calendar, which allowed someone to see all touch points on the calendar itself. The "Schedule" is mostly a list of upcoming events. However, the benefits of the folder systems, the access to resources, and the task assignments outweighs this issue. Plus, if you are a new user to Basecamp 3, you won't even be aware that anything is missing.

Clayton from LEAP

Hands-down my favorite project management software

I really love Basecamp. It is simple, powerful, and gets out of your way so you can get work done. It has replaced about three other apps (including Slack) for our team. In Basecamp communication is now centered on getting things done and improving our products versus just chatting. There is an ideology to understand when using Basecamp but if you can adopt that you will be more productive and less stressed about getting work done.

Pros

Very affordable especially considering how many other solutions it replaces. Very clean minimal interface that gets out of your way and lets you get work done. Very fast and reliable. The mobile app is fantastic as well.

Cons

There is a little bit of a learning curve with the single page interface but that is be design.

Ideology and price.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

We needed a new system that was focused on action and not just words. A single source of truth.

Basecamp is the best all user portal!

Our team has always been collaborative but with Basecamp used as a tool, we have been able to increase our collaborative spirit. In addition, we have been able to accomplish projects and tasks faster because it gives us a way to share which piece we are working on and thus eliminating duplication.

Pros

I love Basecamp! I think it is a great software for keeping tabs on projects and people you work with. It is a collaborative space for users to update each other on what parts of the project they are working on or finishing up. It gives our team the balance needed to ensure no one is working on the same thing or on overlapping projects. It has been a huge asset and we have all loved watching the progression of projects and campaigns we are working on. It has many settings so you can really set it up based on how your team would best thrive.

Cons

One con is that this product could easily turn into a micromanaging tool for bad managers and leaders. When utilized properly it will do wonders for your team but if overused it could be a huge pain point and stressor for employees. They allow an option to have your team give a daily summary of their tasks and I could easily see that going wrong if used by the wrong manager.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

I have previously used OneDrive and I think it could have been a great tool for our team but Basecamp is just better structured. OneDrive has limitless possibilities I think and Basecamp has a more structured layout that makes it easier for me as a supervisor to control and shape to best fit my team.

Michael from Michael Stebel Consulting, LLC

Great Solution For Team Collaboration & Basic Project Management

I've used Basecamp to manage development projects, marketing programs, product management, company calendars, and basic HR/company policy documentation for several years. I've always found it to be reliable and easy to use. I will continue to use it going forward.

Pros

Basecamp is incredibly intuitive and easy-to-use. New users can start using the system in a very short period of time. I love the ability to upload files to specific projects or teams and to organize them into folders and update them with new versions. I also really appreciate how Basecamp makes sharing news, messages, and schedules with members of the team. Basecamp is also very affordable, even for small teams.

Cons

I would like to see some additional project management features added. Specifically, project milestones and Gantt charts. A few of the features are not particularly useful, such as the Gaussian-looking completion chart.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

In my last organization, we chose Basecamp over Jira because it was more flexible and suitable for the broad range of applications we needed. While Jira was much better for software development.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

For my purposes, Basecamp provided more capability and was simple and intuitive for basic project management.

Sean from Highway 85 Creative

The best production management software for our company.

We use Basecamp for every project that goes through our company, and we have some team members that use it constantly and some that barely want to touch it ... when you rely on Basecamp for your company to run smoothly, you need to make sure you have 100% buy in from the team and everybody is using the software with some form of ground rules in place to help keep everything organized. Once that is dialed in, basecamp really can cover every needs we run across and it has grown with us from a 3 person company up to a 28 person company and should be able to sustain for the foreseeable future.

Pros

The pros of basecamp are the company wide team access and usage, easy access to current project related data, storage for project photos and renders. We have an archive of our projects for the past 6 years as well, so we can always go back in and find any info we may have had in the past but are missing now.

Cons

Basecamp is just difficult enough that our team members who are a little less tech savvy can feel overwhelmed with navigating the software. We tend to have 150 -250 open, active projects at any given time, so they struggle to know which project relates to them and get discouraged by the navigation. Since there are so many ways to use the software, to-dos, conversations, calendars, file browsing, etc. it can become disjointed and unorganized quickly. You really need to stay on top of keeping everything in a manner that cuts down confusion.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

We could never find a software as robust or as simplistic as we were looking for ... but once we found basecamp, we knew almost immediately it would be our software package of choice.

Ellie from Awakening Church

A Really Good Project Management Tool!

Bringing Basecamp into the organization wasn’t difficult. The system was easy and simple to integrate. My team loves it! We hare very satisfied with Basecamp.

Pros

Prior to basecamp, my organization was unorganized and working organically, there was no structure or timelines to our projects. Basecamp brought all that and MORE! It’s so simple to use and assign team members the tasks. It has a great user interface structure. There’s not a day that goes by where I’m not on Basecamp. It made such a positive impact in my organization!

Cons

When it comes to tracking, Basecamp doesn’t give a good overview of this. You need to consistent check what tasks have been completed and which ones aren’t. I hope they make an improvement on the Gantt Charts along with full project reports!

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

Basecamp’s price and overall system is what my team needed. Wrike is great but a bit too “intense” for my team.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

Wrike was a great tool but lacked the ability to collaborate that Basecamp offers with its message boards and campfire.

Lawrence from Sherpa Marketing

The hub for all great quality projects

Our experience with Basecamp has been very positive. It has been a greatly important tool for the management of efficient and timely projects. The features within Basecamp have been positively used by the vast majority of our clients and create a really collaborative and team-like feel around the projects.

Pros

The best thing about Basecamp is that it provides a secure and easily accessible central hub for your project. It is easy to invite all key project stakeholders and has features that allow for quick and easy discussion around the project, easy communications of important notices and action points and acts as a central storage place that gives everyone oversight to essential project documents and files. Basecamp also provides an accurate project timeline based around the actions of the individuals who use it, meaning that assists with project traceability and track. In addition it will also send automated reminders to the inboxes of those registered which is a fantastic feature for keeping on top of all project details. These reminder emails can be customised to specific individuals which means you can easily reach/remind/engage with the action point owner.

Cons

The main frustration with Basecamp is the updating of personnel profiles when the original creator has left the company. For example, I have needed to update the job titles and email addresses associated with people for accounts I have inherited after my predecessor has left the company. However, this action is blocked as I was not the original creator which was highly frustrating.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

We chose Basecamp due to it's referenceability with a lot of US businesses, as the majority of our clients are US-based. We also preferred the look and feel of the tool when we took out a trial period.

Jason from Bluebird Botanicals

Better way of doing business

While there were other, cheaper PM softwares to consider, one of the reasons I started to look at Basecamp is because they are, in a sense, industry leaders. They are constantly publishing books or podcasts about better ways of doing business and that's something their software does.

Pros

Since switching to Basecamp we've seen better communication, collaboration, and better delivery on projects for our marketing team. The way Basecamp delivers information—keeping it all up front and easily accessible—makes it super easy to find out where a project is at at any given time. We've also seen an increase in productivity. People are spending less time trying to figure out what it is they are doing and spending more time getting tasks checked off their list. It has also improved team morale. PM software can be frustrating, but the user interface has made it more fun. While we haven't rolled this out company wide, we are looking forward to it.

Cons

I think there is room to improve the educational components of Basecamp. Based on their customer experience, are there best usage stories? Are there best practices for implementation and usage that we can use? Key piece is communication. There's a lot of choices for where people can submit updates: Campfire, in the task list, in individual tasks. What are the best practices? Someone, please tell me.

Pricing and user interface

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

As a company, we had been using Wrike as our Project Management system. But one of our biggest issues was how we can have more widespread company usage of a PM system. Whenever projects needed to be reviewed, we would pull the assets out of Wrike and shift the conversation to email or Slack and would lose some of the data. We couldn't move everyone fully into Wrike because of the additional cost.

Kate from TCGplayer

Easy, Affordable Project Management for Your Entire Team

Since we started using Basecamp, our project intake process has become much more organized and it's way easier to see what everyone has on their plate. It's also helped us get approval from key stakeholders since everyone at every step of every project has to-dos assigned to them. I also love the integrations. We sync with Everhour so we can keep track of exactly how long it takes to complete each step of each project, which has helped us become more efficient and also see where we're spending our time.

Pros

I love how intuitive Basecamp is to use and how easy it is to keep track of upcoming projects and set priorities. I'm new to project management and it's been so easy to set up every project and teach new employees how to navigate the system. You can set different projects for different teams and even invite clients to view projects. Plus, you don't have a limited number of seats so everyone in our organization can access it without us needing to purchase anything additional.

Cons

There are too many places to communicate within Basecamp so it's important that you have a clear process. You can comment on an overall project thread, a group and in each individual to-do so sometimes it's hard to tell where a comment is located. However, it does show you which to-dos have comments within them and there are easy-access notifications at the top of your screen at all times so as long as comments are recent, they're easy to find.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

We did free trials of each option and Basecamp was the easiest to use and the most intuitive. We were all comfortable using it and thought it would be the best option for us as the company grew since we could add people to the team easily.

Christopher from OneWorld Properties

Gather around the fire, Basecamp is here!

Basecamp felt fun to use and really made us feel that we were optimizing our workflows in terms of assigning tasks and work flows.

Pros

Basecamp's user interface has changed over the years and has become for easier for clients and client facing individuals. Basecamp became a part of a sales pitch in terms of giving access to clients to a platform where we were accessible and there to help them.

Cons

Basecamp has a lot of bells and whistles that are not immediately apparent. We did have to do a little digging under the hood in order to take advantage of some key features!

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

Basecamp's friendly user interface and accessible onboarding features made it easier for users at my previous organization to adopt the platform. I would recommend this to any budding business who wants to manage workloads/workflows and keep their client engaged and excited about the service being provided!

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

Basecamp was an easier platform for us to engage clients and keep everyone on the same page! Trello felt a little outdated in terms of having swim lanes for each task.

Chris from In-Step Digital

Organising the mess!

There is a distinct before and after Basecamp in our lives. After the implementation, we noticed a distinct improvement, not just in the output, but also in team culture and job satisfaction. Basecamp helped to clear the mess that project communications were. While we still work a lot of hours, we now streamline it better.

Pros

Centralise all traffic, in-house and with clients.

Cons

It is a single approach to Project Management. The client side could be more developped as well.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

Basecamp was simpler, and focusing on what it does well.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

Mavenlink was the worst experience we could go through, and the priciest in the bunch. In comparison, Basecamp felt like a libreation.

Christopher from Mobile Associates

We would be a Mess without It

Despite my complaint about Discussions, I REALLY love this product and honestly cant' see how we could keep organized with the complexity of our projects without it. I know there are other products that do similar things in different ways, but you guys hit perfectly on providing exactly the functionality we need without a lot of extra fluff. We use Basecamp B2 BTW and not B3 because we don't need all the additional fluff of B3. We have other products to handle chat (like Skype etc) so there was nothing about B3 that we needed. WE LOVE BASECAMP B2 !!!

Pros

I love the ease of use, and the how it allows us to keep very complex projects organized via the To-dos etc. I love the fact it lets our teams collaborate in a single location and keep everything related to a project organized. (We use Basecamp B2 FYI)

Cons

DISCUSSIONS. If I had a way to turn off the ability to start a new discussion I would. I like the fact the discussion area shows the chronological listing of activities, but I DO NOT like the concept of a discussion. Everything we do in Basecamp is in the TO-DO section because you can assign ownership and due dates. A DISCUSSION on the other hand, cannot be assigned to someone or a date added. Anything we need to discuss, can be done inside a specific TO-DO item and at the point someone needs to take action it can then be assigned to someone for ownership. A discussion without the ability to assign ownership and a time element is Just a bunch of talking and worthless to a business. I'm also continually having customers go out there and open new discussions when they want something instead of opening a to-do because discussions are the first thing they see. If I could turn off the ability to open a new discussion I would. Because of the issue I just mentioned, it would be VERY HELPFUL if there was an easy way to move an item from a DISCUSSION to a TO-DO. That would make it easy to deal with the situation if someone opened a discussion instead of a to-do and also would make logical sense that people are talking about something for a long time (Discussing it) and then when it's time to get off their butt and do something they could move it to a to-do (have the history of the discussion) and assign ownership.

See Previous Response

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

This was exactly what we needed without any additional fluff.

Daniel from Sisu Inc

(BC3) A friendly project management tool

Basecamp is a great way to collaborate with clients and teams still. The nature of direct 1-1 communications means it will never compete with Slack in terms of moment to moment integration (We dont use campfires or pings or whatever they are called), especially since we do a lot of work in JIRA and therefore our project and process are already disconnected (I could see Campfire being more useful if we were more actively using Basecamp). For now, it serves as a place to post assets for review and archival to the client, as well as a place to post longer messages, like meeting notes in a way that is organized and contextual.

Pros

The reintroduction of client permissions made BC3 instantly more usable as it reintroduced the collaborative nature that wa a hallmark of this product (The "clientside" approach was garbage) Basecamp offers a clean and approachable structure to project management. It is not intended for software development really, but can be used to run a project or even as a company hub (we use it for both, though in full honesty we have mostly transitioned to slack).

Cons

As above, the initial clientside approach was really underwhelming. It worked for specific low-touch clients, but if you were actively collaborating, it was offputting and cumbersome. It can be sort of cumbersome to navigate files, and I wish there were data integrations to link Google Shared drives

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

We didnt want to deal with self hosting and we had used the older version of Basecamp. It was also priced competatively

Walter from Clary Business Machines

Industry: Wholesale

Organizational Tool - but not export or import friendly

Overall, Basecamp is a good solution easy to manage but its inability to export into different formats, which its competitors do provide, might cause most of their users to switch to another platform, like us. Apart from the issue highlighted above, I think basecamp is a great tool to add, update, notify and manage any task, be it tech-related or sales related. As I have been through technical support, sales and then e-commerce sales of my company I think this tool would be very handy.

Pros

It is easy to enter, search and assign tasks in this online tool. As an E-Commerce Manager, I find it easy to enter our online order information, keep track of them with due dates, assign tasks to my team members and update our higher management on the goals and their progress.

Cons

The Export feature of this online tool is the worst!! I have tried contacting their support about exporting my tasks to excel or CSV format and they informed me that they do not have that option. We receive over 200 to 600 + orders a month which we have to keep track of, this helps us do that, but when our account manager asks me to get him details of orders then my life goes to hell. It takes me 2-4 days to extract all the data and organize it and send it to our accounts manager. This is the RED Flag for me for this software, I have my team looking at other options to switch to, however, if they do incorporate it, I have no problem sticking to Basecamp. Another thing I would like to point out, which is not a red flag or an issue but in the last month we had basecamp service unavailable or crash twice. Since it is a company solution, we are using, and I have been using it for the past 3 years, I never had seen this issue, maybe an upgrade in their services or some other bug is causing this but it did happen. Hope it does not happen again as it will affect our work seriously.

More orderly workflow

The fundamental advantage of Basecamp is the capacity to allot out explicit undertakings to explicit people and with a due date. Basecamp helps organizations to know which individuals from every office on chipping away at a customer. With the due date highlight, clients can demonstrate time-touchy or important matters. This component is discretionary, which enables our organization to recognize transient undertakings and long haul objectives. Basecamp's plan is agenda arranged. Agendas advance incredibly to our increasingly fastidious representatives, yet in addition, empowers the more Type B workers to center their thoughts into convenient and quantifiable assignments. The freshest move up to Basecamp 3 presented the Campfire include which is perfect for inward ventures, an advantage that was missing from the past rendition. This part of the product is ideal for intra-office non-customer work. For instance, the record supervisory crew utilizes this element to work together on building another layout for our customer introductions. In general, Basecamp enables my organization to accomplish extensive scale objectives by separating them into particular objectives.

Pros

I have been dealing with the customer confronting side of a medium-sized computerized advertising organization. I cherish that Basecamp adjusts superbly with our multi-customer firm. The latest upgrade to Basecamp 3 contributed to the item's utility. Basecamp's plan enables my collaborators and me to dole out and oversee undertakings crosswise over divisions. The new Campfire highlight extends Basecamp's utility to incorporate inner tasks, besides the principle advantage of sorting out customer work. This element takes into account an increasingly easygoing stream of thoughts for ventures that my group is chipping away at as a team.

Cons

After you have transferred documents, you can not download them combined at once. You need to exclusively download each document that you need. This can prompt having different form of a record. On the off chance that you don't erase a past adaptation of an archive, at that point there will be two. the best way to not keep running into this is to us the record fuction in Basecamp. This element is exceptionally essential. in the event that you don't remain over record the executives and discourse you could be soon over run and end up with a ton of tidy up work.

ABEER from Social Security Hospital

Industry: Online Media

A very handy tool for client management tasks

Cons

Maryellen from First Impressions, Inc.

For managing details and timelines for complex projects

I am a fundraiser, and often - OFTEN - have several big fundraising projects in preparation at the same time. Before Basecamp, it was a nightmare to keep all of the details for each event separate and clear, without dropping the ball on some important responsibilities. Unfortunately, failing to take care of an important detail on any of these events can be devastating, so I could barely sleep because of the stress of worrying about where I was on each project. Also, since I often use some of the same vendors (caterers, tent rental, hotel space) it was hard to remember if I had talked to them about each individual event, and had all of my facts straight for each individual event. Basecamp makes it possible to track each and every event carefully, set up connecting emails to keep everyone informed, and makes it very easy to set deadlines, timers, and reminders for every important goal and part of the event. It took an entire weekend to set up all of the lists, timelines, and connections needed within Basecamp for the eight complex fundraising events I had on my calendar when I first set up in Basecamp. But after that weekend, I slept better than I had in months because everything was organized, I could see in a few seconds exactly what was on my "To-do" list for each day, each week, and up until the day or the event, as well as what I was waiting for from anyone else. This program is certainly an expense. But it gave me incredible peace of mind.

Pros

It is so well integrated. For example, taking one action will also notify several team members who need to know about that action without me having to send numerous emails. The software makes it possible to track several or many projects with dozens of people without losing a step or forgetting anything.

Cons

A bit of a learning curve to get started, but technical support is good, and the program quickly becomes intuitive. The other members of your team - not only your staff, but your client - must also be willing to learn Basecamp. On the other hand, once they do, they will love it - and you!

Stanislav from Remotek Ltd

Can be Really Good if Team is Synchronised

Basecamp provides a platform for collaboration and project management that can be the backbone of digital marketing agencies, software development companies, or any other company which has a team of 5+ and at least 5+ projects (my estimates, not limitations of the product). It just helps the team to keep it all in one place and more importantly - it helps bring together remote teams, which is an ever-increasing scenario for many IT companies hiring VAs, content writers, PPC specialists, developers.

Pros

It gives you the opportunity to manage a complex business with multiple projects and team members, providing a platform for communication and collaboration. I've personally used Basecamp for two years and have liked it in general for organizing Digital Marketing projects within an agency. You also get the ability to add the client to the project and choose what to show or hide from them, making it just a bit easier to keep them in the loop and get required feedback from them. The ability to export tasks to Google Calendar is a good touch, but it would really depend if workflow creates Google Calendar worthy items. If not, you have a calendar within Basecamp.

Cons

Like any software with vast functionality, you have to learn all of its features to use it as it is intended to be used. Collaboration with teammates adds one more layer of complexity and problems can arise if the team is not coached to use it in a common way. The ability to assign tasks to others can get overwhelming for the assignee. I personally had two account managers above me, as well as content writers I worked with and they all kept assigning even the smallest of tasks, or even worse - largely undefined tasks, that eventually led to me accumulating a whole lot of tasks and not seeking to clear my list.

Kamila from Heart Behind Hustle

Great for client management and projects

It helps us keep the communication with clients in one place versus using email which is helpful. I wish they had a free version though. I like the style and branding of the app, but if I wasn't using it for client work I doubt I'd be using it for my own projects.

Pros

- The interface is fun to navigate, it's just pleasant to look at. I like all the little buttons, the way that the check marks are designed, it's fun to comment and check things off. I'm a big nerd when it comes to the actual enjoyment of a platform. The brand is on point. - I like that you can set up different sections for todo's versus having them all be in place. It's also helpful to have a separate files section and discussions section for things not related to specific to-do's although we do rarely use them with my clients. - I see they have an option to use Clientside where the client doesn't get to see all the things in Basecamp, and they can still use email primarily when it comes to the communication. I personally don't use this option and we just have the client in their own Basecamp but it's a great option for folks if they don't want their clients IN the actual project. - It's easy to attach images, write quick comments, and send pings to team members.

Cons

- The price point, it's obviously not a free option like Trello or others and it is the same in terms of quality as those two except for the design and having clients in there. - It can get confusing for the client. They don't know where to go. - Sometimes we don't know where to write things, there are too many options for communication and discussion which makes the organization of our conversations a bit trickier to manage. - I wish it was possible to see a visual representation of the deadlines for each task, like a gantt chart or something. I feel like Asana has more options when it comes to all of that and it's easier to organize things.

Russell S from FusionSPEDtech

Great idea for team management!

Allows my team to stay organized, communicate effectively, and accomplish tasks all from one platform!

Pros

Basecamp is classified as a project management platform, but I see it as more than that. It's a digital space that enables your team to all be on the same page and up-to-date. Here are some things I love about that platform: - It has a very simple design and feel. It's extremely "boiled down" and there's no reason to worry about less techy folks getting lost. It's easy to learn to use and navigate the platform. - It organizes everything in one place, so it's easy to find key documents, hold individuals accountable, find help, etc. There's no email chains, certain things saved in the Cloud, while other things are saved on someone's computer - it's all there. - When you enter a project folder, I like that there are really three categories for communication. Things that need to be done are filed in the "to do" thread, on-going communication/questions occur through the "message" thread, and just general questions or thoughts or concerns can be posed through the "campfire" thread. This is simple idea, but is really quite brilliant. It allows your team to rank or categorize the message they're about to send (Is this urgent? Is this a general question? Is this a task that needs we need to get done?). This really provides structure that effective teams need. - Another cool feature is that in that you have access to all of the important, shared files in the project folder. I would compare that to "team drives" on Drive, if you're familiar.

Cons

Basecamp is not too technical, it feels human-friendly! But because of this, you do occasionally find yourself looking for something more, a feature that would really be helpful. For example, the to do lists could be a little more robust (graphics, attachments, etc.). Another idea would be to add a bit of customization. I understand the desire to maintain simplicity, but just the ability to add your brand would be a nice feature or even change the color designs. Not crucial, but would be nice.

Ross from Igniter Media

The Best "Pick Up and Get Going" Task Manager

Basecamp is where we keep all of our assignments and initiatives, and we've become diligent about not letting any lists or to-dos creep outside the system. This relies heavily on managing the project list carefully and making sure everything has its place. There are not guide-rails to keep you from placing a task in the "wrong" place - fortunately you can move tasks all around if someone puts something in an incorrect place. It's important that you define what Projects exist and create a framework for where assignments should go. A frequent complaint we hear around the office is "I don't know where to put this" so it's important that you outline your project structure and communicate it clearly. If you can nominate a gate-keeper to watch over the system organization, Basecamp can be a very effective way to manage all assignments across an organization and allow people to simply see what's due, when, with ease.

Pros

Basecamp requires very little setup and there are very few barriers to overcome to get in and start making projects and tasks. It can very very scalable in terms of users and project count, and it's approach to To-do Lists and Tasks makes project organization fairly straight-forward. At it's core, making tasks is as easy as choosing a place to put them, naming them, and assigning them. With simple reports, users can view their tasks across all projects and start tackling them. If you want to take things a little bit deeper, you can assign mutiple people to tasks, set due dates, and loop other people into the tasks for conversations.

Cons

Basecamp still has some key missing features that create workflow issues every now and then. You can create recurring events, but not recurring to-dos. So, for example, if you want to create a "Close Accounting Books" to-do and assign it to a user to be finished each month by the 15th, there is not currently support for that. There's also no built-in gannt views, although they continue to innovate project management with new simpler ideas such as the "Hill Chart" which i'm a fan of. A lot of the lack of complex features comes from their desire to carefully curate features to keep the application from ballooning into a beast that's unwieldy and hard to learn.

Scott from Bellevue Presbyterian Church

Basecamp 2 is a good base for collaboration

I work in the non-profit world and we have many volunteers that help for a season, or a project or some other random and unpredictable way. Basecamp allows us to invite users into a specific task or project in a way that is almost fool-proof. Using Basecamp means I don't have to get a volunteer network clearance to be on our internal network. Basecamp lets us store files in the cloud so all can access items easily. We even have staff creating weekly virtual meetings and updates for volunteers can access info at their best time and know what is happening that week and what expectations are for their volunteer teams. Basecamp allows our staff and volunteers to think outside the traditional uses of project management apps and gain some real productivity and communication value.

Pros

Basecamp 2 is an intuitive collaboration tool that helps groups work together by keeping all conversations, files, to do lists and timelines in a central location that is easy to access and easy to invite clients, volunteers and others into the process. I f a feature isn't intuitive for you (or you forgot how to do something), the quick videos located throughout the app bring the feature into focus quickly and easily. Basecamp is simple enough for the masses to use without using expensive live training resources. They have really figured out how to get people on board and up to speed quickly. Basecamp has the ability to store files with specific projects. that saves me lots of time when I want to find that obscure file but I can't remember where I saved it or what I called it.

Cons

Basecamp presents itself as 'project management' software. I am not so sure I would place it in that genre of software. I see it more of an easy access, bring the crowd together to collaborate and make sure you have an easy place to catch up with conversations, read files or see what is next on the to do list. I guess the fact that it has a to do list makes it a simple project management tool. So, maybe it is okay to call it basic project management...

Nagish from UNDP Pakistan

Best Tool for Online Project Management and Team Management

I am using Basecamp from last two year. I love it because of its Team Chat, the average price which is very affordable, Message Boards/News which have so many options to edit the text, such as bolding, coloring, bullet points, etc which I personally didn't see in any other project management tool. Most of the time I use it to update stockholders, where it also provide privacy. When I want to inform specific persons I can select those and send them message once at the same time. I love its reports feature too. Drag and drop for rearranging tasks in task list is pretty awesome feature. I like Basecamp’s structural way of arranging everything like links, file, comments, communication, etc. I recommend it to everyone because of its Free Trail which is a very good thing to try it before buying the full package.

Pros

Basecamp is an online project management tool which can be accessed through a Mobile device by its app or directly through the web on both PC and Mobile devices. Managing multiple projects at the same time is very easy with Basecamp. Basecamp is featured rich web app where each and every feature such as Project Updates, Discussions and In-project Todo Lists/Tasks are on one-page and a user can easily find them directly by first look. The best thing in Todo list is multiple Todo lists in a single project for different department’s collaboration which makes it more powerful than the other available tools in the market. Document upload and sharing with others and receive feedback or comments makes it more versatile. The coolest feature which I like is the Catchup option for knowing about today and today’s progress in a single click. The best feature which keeps me update about the progress is the Progress feature, where the whole project is displayed as a timeline on one page, that’s just amazing. It’s so easy to see the milestones and progress right in one screen and scroll to see how much of done for the course of a day or month. The simplicity of Basecamp makes me love it; because Basecamp has a very lean user interface, the smooth learning curve for first-time users and scalability to use it for larger projects which makes it adoptable for everyone.

Cons

The workflow is not built around any specific industry so it may not be a very perfect for specialized companies but it can be used by anyone and it can be adopted easily because of its ease and more features. The Calendar view/ Schedule doesn’t show a specific task's progress in details. it will make more sense to calendar/schedule view if the schedule is shown like the progress bar for every task.

Using Basecamp has totally changed the way my organization is ran

Mostly it saved me tons of time. Everyone can easily see who is doing what without sending so many annoying emails and attending wasteful meetings.

Pros

The three things I love most are the ease of use, how nice it looks, and how useful it is. Basecamp is super simple. It's easy to learn and it allows you to keep all the data you need in easy to navigate locations. There's no searching through folder after folder and file after file for the data you need and the status you want to update. No more needing a bookmark bar full of websites to rummage through. More direct or analytical people may not care (or think they care) about how nice the tools they're using look, but believe me... If you want to get your entire company on board with a NEW product you're going to want it to look good. For better or worse that goes a very long way toward getting people to want to use a product no matter how useful it is. Which brings me to my next point: it's useful! This software has honestly saved us SO much time because we now get to avoid so many status update meetings. I personally only had to attend one status meeting each week and build the slideshow for it, but that alone saved me personally three hours. The rest of our organization spends who knows how many going through those things and Basecamp has fiercely cut back on those. It's awesome.

Cons

The only con I can really come up with is a people issue and not a software issue. No matter how simple, useful, and well designed a piece of software or website is, far too many people are just going to try and ignore it so they don't have to learn something new. Fortunately Basecamp is nice and easy enough that it wasn't a huge problem.

Gurbir Singh from Oxibase

Amazing Project Management Tool

Proper management of projects in my company. Upto date client reviews/feedbacks and more.

Pros

I am using Basecamp since 2014. One of my friend from Dubai introduced Basecamp to me. It's simple and ready to use. No puzzles to do settings. Simple team member invitation. Simple client invitation. Create project easy. Tagging teammate is an awesome feature. we can simply tag our teammate in comments, to-do items, team chat, personal chat etc same as we do on Facebook. We can appreciate someone for his/her response. Set reminders and a lot of other activities can be done. No billing issue. the unlimited number of team members and no limit of file storage. Easy interface. If I talk about the support, team basecamp is very supportive and active to help its customers. You need help? write on Basecamp's twitter account and get a response in very short time or simply go to the website and write them, they'll definitely write you back. Once my account got suspended because of less funds, I simply wrote an email to support@basecamp.com and got an instant reply from Sylvia Chong with positive response and activation of my account for next one month. They understand customers and help them back.

Cons

Ammm.... Truly I have nothing which I like least about the Basecamp. Yea, more features can be added. Like invoicing, proposals, lead management and few other services. Because we have to find other vendos for all these services. It's complex to manage multiple vendors. Oxibase Software is one in all. They have invoicing, lead management, proposals, payment collections, project management, HR all in one. So, I would suggest basecamp to include some more features in it so that we don't look for other softwares :)

Jenny from Romio

I've used Basecamp intermittently over the last 3 years.

Pros

Basecamp is best for improving organization and instilling clarity among teams. I love the notification board in Basecamp. It helps organize and clarify details and next steps in a team, which can often times get cluttered or grow faint via email and standard chat-type programs like Slack. The self-saving feature is awesome, too. I've been screwed over many times on other programs and email systems if my computer freezes or my browser shuts down unexpectedly so I have a wave of relief being on Basecamp in general. Any applicable files needed can be easily searched for and found within the system, too, which is great. This feature is definitely reminiscent of Google Drive, but Basecamp as a software tool is way more robust, functionality-wise.

Cons

Upload times can be slow and it can get a little glitchy, but the latter may be a function of my company's WiFi. If everyone on your team knows how to use Basecamp and if everyone on your team are solid workers, Basecamp can help you save so much time. BUT, if you have slackers or lazy people on your team (all too common even in the best companies out there) it can be incredibly frustrating to have to repeat information that's already clearly in Basecamp for them to reference. This isn't necessarily a 'con' but I'm often finding out about features I didn't know existed or didn't know were beneficial to leverage for my specific projects until I discovered them through conversations with colleagues. It'd be great to have tutorials embedded into the system so users know they're utilizing the system at its full capacity.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 12,970 reviews