What are Basecamp users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Basecamp software through verified user reviews

13,724 Reviews

6,720
5,120
1,439

• icon"The ease of use with this software is really nice, if your company is like ours, we have companies all over the country."
  • icon"Outstanding performance, highly accessible, easy to use and the pricing is by far the best."
  • icon"I really enjoy it as a user and highly recommend it to all organizations as the best in value for money."
  • icon"I am a multi-disciplinary designer myself, and despite trying (very hard) several times to use Basecamp, I just can't get past how ugly, unintuitive, and clunky the UI is."
  • icon"I just found it boring that you can only view one person's task list at a time, if you have a project with multiple members, it makes it difficult."
  • icon"It is integrated with limited software which restricts to carry out multidimensional projects. It’s pricing is also very high, it restrict its use for small organizations."

Browse all Basecamp Reviews

• Have you used Basecamp and would like to share your experience with others?

Showing 1 - 25 of 13,591 reviews

Troy

Company size: Unspecified

We use it every day!

Vikram

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

August 2022

The Best task allocation and monitoring tool available in the market

In remote workplaces, it becomes very difficult to monitor and track the progress of your peers or teammates. Basecamp has been a saviour as it helps us not only monitor and allocate tasks but also becomes a source of communication for internal teams to get the work done. We recommend Basecamp to any IT company which has multiple projects and resources to handle.

Pros

Basecamp has been a great tool for our team as all the projects and tasks are allocated by the managers and peers on this platform and then it becomes easy for everyone to keep a track of it. Basecamp provides an easy communication via threads that make it very convenient to use. We at Wise IT inc have been using basecamp as a project management and collaboration tool and love how it makes our lives easier. It also has a mobile app which makes it more easier to keep a check on your phone when you are away from work.

Cons

Basecamp does not have video conferencing option yet which has become a very important feature for companies that are working from home. Apart form this, I have never faced any problem using Basecamp.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

Pricing and features are better for Basecamp compared to other alternatives available.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

The interface of Basecamp is easier than Asana. Also in terms of features, Basecamp currently leads the market.

Syamir

Improve project management effectiveness

What i have realize with Basecamp is, we have improve the way my team communicate. We have ditch from using email or other messenger application, and mainly using Basecamp as our communication platform. It is effective because we can quickly pinpoint the subject of our discussion and attaching document to it.

Pros

Tracking for a project progress by team members and keeping a quick communication contact with my colleague is easy to do with Basecamp. Its workflow method to managing many project that are running at the same time is flawless. Separating each team members roles and their responsibilities towards the project only need a single click.

Cons

The feature tools name is quite funny, they use term 'campfire' to indicate messenger board where people gathering for discussion. There are some integration that are not well connected, my integration with google calendar is choppy and some of my calendar event is not properly exported to Basecamp calendar.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Asana is too complicated and expensive for us. Basecamp can do the same with less cost.

Samuel

August 2022

The industry's top organizational and communication tool

With Basecamp, we have been able to finish significant projects while facilitating straightforward communication with staffs and volunteers. It's excellent to work together on original concepts and offer feedback when assignments are turned in.

Pros

Basecamp unifies features like private and public chat, calendars for arranging meetings, task management tools, file sharing and storage, etc. under one roof so you don't have to pay for several tools for distinct functionality. It has every piece of machinery needed to run an entire business. The task creation and tracking are properly planned, and every team, project, and job has its own discussion and sharing scopes similar to a group. All staff members have access to the organization's current statuses, encouraging an open culture. Surveys and feedback gathering might be done using the technology.

Cons

Without the capacity to thread comments, it can be difficult to handle when a task chat deviates from the linear structure that Basecamp was designed for.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

Instead of having to maintain and adjust a tool to suit our needs on a local version, we need a more flexible, dedicated choice. We haven't required to make any changes to Basecamp's process since deploying it; it presently meets our needs.

Maisarah

Involve client in the project

Overall of my experience with this is software pretty good, as i can collaborate project and task with my colleague and client. It really help me manage several running project at the same time and i can keep up with all the project progress without any problem.

Pros

I really like that Basecamp has a portal for client that I can involving my client on the project that we are working together. They can see and view the project process and the project completion progress and also get involve in the idea management to pitching ideas on the project. It keep both parties on top of the project progress.

Cons

This software structures are quite difference from other typical project manager software, which it will takes some time to learning all the feature and differences with this software. On top of that, client also needs to learn to use this software for me to collaborate with them, and not everyone is willing to spend extra hours to learn about this software.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Any.do is more suitable for managing to-do list and some basic task.

Jason

Making project management easier

Overall, Basecamp is a solid product that I use almost daily to manage projects. I haven't had any major issues with the software but would like to be able to easily reference tips and tricks to improve my workflow.

Pros

The ability to collaborate with other people on my team on task management is critical to making sure the work is done on time. Basecamp also allows me to communicate with clients and vendors on project specifics tasks and goals which means less time writing emails and more time getting things accomplished.

Cons

The user interface is a little too bare-bones, and things aren't always intuitive. I would like to see more tips on how to set projects up and manage them properly.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

More clients were using basecamp already.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

I had more clients that were using Basecamp, so it made sense to be on the same platform as them.

Jose

Industry: Machinery

Team Building

For the most part good other than all the alerts and emails

Pros

Being able to track the history of the project

Cons

Too many emails and alerts when trying to focus on other important task

Melanie Latrelle

August 2022

So glad I found Basecamp!!

I've had a great experience with Basecamp. I've collaborated with a number of projects on this tool and it's been essential in managing my projects. Since I'm in the growing phases of my business, I SO glad they have a free feature that allows me to use 3 free projects. Once I reach a level where I have a team and I'm serving more clients, then I can see myself getting the Basecamp paid plan. Thank you for offering such a great product!

Pros

Another designer recommended Basecamp for managing web design projects. This product allows me to keep everything for my client projects in one place! I like being able to collaborate with clients on a timeline and assigning them tasks. The chat feature is very helpful. I like that we can upload all their documents and even link to Google documents. The mobile is very useful for doing business on the go. I can really stay organized with Basecamp and it keeps me accountable with timelines. I love that I can make it client-facing so there is a level of transparency on timelines. I can use this tool to do all communications with clients and not have a string of emails to go through.

Cons

I've been going back and forth with the documents section and if I should use Google Drive to store documents or if I should use Basecamp. People are most familiar with Google Drive, however when I educate and train them on how to use Basecamp, then it will help them be more comfortable with navigating the software. I would like training videos for clients to be able to get an overview of how to get the most of Basecamp while working together. If Basecamp doesn't have a video overview, then this will be something that I can work on.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

Basecamp has an easy to use interface. It allows me to share design mockups, email and live chat with clients (I've used this messaging feature a lot), store documents and keep projects on timeline. I really like the home page dashboard for each project. It's SO clear and easy to understand! Each section is labeled clearly and easy to use.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

It was recommended to my by another designer and she said she used it for everything related to her projects. I was sold when she said she didn't email clients anymore! I was like YES! This is what I need. I get annoyed with the lost email chains and I wanted an all in one tool where I could email the client and also email designs and mockups. Asana didn't do well with emailing images to clients. They were blurry and hard to find on the email.

Kevin

Basecamp for Teams

We have started and completed close to 150 projects in Basecamp; crossing every department in our organization. It has helped us keep people informed, keep tasks on target, and complete projects in a timely and efficient manner. Their help system is very detailed. It seems like most reviewers just can not find it. https://3.basecamp-help.com/ We are very pleased with the product, but we want to see more enhancements coming, and more often. The product desperately needs sublists, priorities, milestones, and very tight integration with Office 365. We would also like to see the use of templates. Anything from planning a canoe trip to launching a new retail store would be very helpful. Overall, it is a great product, but we may outgrow it if enhancements are not added. If some of these features do not come soon, it may drive long-standing customers away from the product.

Pros

We have been using Basecamp for 7 years now. What we liked at first was the simple design and speed at which you can learn the product. You can be up, running and have a project underway in less than 10 minutes. It checked all the boxes initially. Simple to use, ability to create project groups and associated tasks, assign users, and dates, and attach files. In Basecamp 3 they added grouped tasks within the parent list, and the ability to assign multiple people to a single task.

Cons

Basecamp needs sublists, priorities, and milstones. They also need to build a native integration completely into Office 365. Instead of fighting it, embrace Office 365 Sharepoint, Onedrive, and Teams.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

Basecamp was far simpler to use, less expensive, had all the features we needed, and none that we didn't. We just needed a simple to use, and well-thought-out management tool.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Prior to switching the company used a very simple excel list. Excel was too static and not the ideal use of the product.

September 2022

Keep Your Team Organised with Basecamp

Basecamp has proved ideal for keeping track of complicated projects. In particular, the details required for evidence of testing and work progress. It's a simple interface and perhaps could be graphically more pleasing on the eye and perhaps could offer some improved analytics. However, there are plug-in options for third party apps. It's good value for a tight budget and when not wanting to overwhelm the team in terms of interface and menu options.

Pros

The ease at which you can create and project and start adding and assigning tasks. It is intuitive and requires little time to get the team going. At a base level, it makes for very transparent to-do lists for your team, and therefore improved accountability to get things done.

Cons

Graphically Basecamp could improve to catch up with some of its competitors. You have to be careful how much your team indulges in comments because important information can get lost.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

Basecamp offered the best value for funtionality.

Mary Ellen

Basic functionality, hasn't kept pace with competitors

Basecamp has been the foundation of our company's project management and communication systems for the past 9 years, but we're starting to feel like we've outgrown it. Those frustrations combined with the recent leadership missteps have us shopping for an alternative.

Pros

Basecamp is an extremely accessible, cost-effective task management system for simple projects and teams. It's easy to invite people to specific projects without adding to the cost.

Cons

Having to use third-party tools for basic functionality, such as kanban boards and time/points tracking. Lack of common milestone tracking, such Gantt charts.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

At the time, we preferred the simplicity of the UX/UI and the functionality for the price. As a remote-first company, we also appreciated the management philosophy of the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN].

Bethany

Industry: Publishing

My, well, base camp for client communications!

I create an individual Basecamp project for each of my clients to handle communication, deadlines, and file-sharing. Basecamp is the only project management software I've found that really excels at being used in a client-facing manner. I can get clients set up within minutes without confusing or overwhelming them.

Pros

My use of Basecamp is unique in that I personally don't need project management software as much as a client communication interface, and Basecamp is perfect for that! My work requires me to implement deadlines for both my team and my clients, and Basecamp allows me to clearly communicate that entire timeline while keeping all files and communication in one place. It really is a perfect "home base"!

Cons

I'd love to be able to customize which projects we receive updates on! Instead of just choosing email updates or no email updates, it would be great to have a newsfeed of only starred projects or even the ability to designate and filter by role within a project. I also feel that the jump between Basecamp Personal and Basecamp Business is a bit too stark. I'd love to see, say, a Basecamp Entrepreneur option in between aimed at companies that don't need unlimited features and can't afford the $99 monthly price point. Basecamp 2's "10 projects for $20/month" package would be an ideal model!

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

While I preferred the pricing structure of the alternative products, Basecamp can't be beaten in terms of client friendliness.

Eduardo

August 2022

Very easy to use but needs more scalable / powerful features

For the price (99 dlls a month) for unlimited users and projects, Basecamp is probably the best project management tool for the money, but lacks more powerful tools that may annoy more experienced managers.

Pros

Very streamline project / document repository management tool. Can be use for small or big teams to coordinate documentation, meetings and simple tasks. Plus, its navigation is very simple to learn.

Cons

Lacks more powerful tracking tools and better document editing tools; copy-pasted content from a Word document doesn’t copy the formatting correctly, lack of multiple headings or ability to add tables to a document is pretty disappointing.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

Notion is expensive that Confluence. Google Drive as a free tool is difficult to set up with large teams.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Price, for a team of 50+ members, Basecamp is simply better.

Noorhidayu

Basecamp is our department choice

Pros

I love the project progress and the timeline tracking that this software has offered. Since my department work closely with out client on some of the project, the client portal really helping us out in keeping client within the loop and fast update on their end.

Cons

I am not a fan of their dashboard structure along with the name of some of the tools here. It doesn't scream professional, as an example, the discussion board are named "campfire". Other than that, everything else is okay and easy to use.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Trello is too much for us to manage our daily task.

September 2022

Basecamp is good for Project Management and Collaboration.

The overall experience is very good as it is user friendly and easy to use. Tracking the progress is easy which saves time and effort.

Pros

Basecamp is very userfriendly and easy to use. Creating teams and projects is easy and assigning the task is also not so tough. The best thing is being able to track the progress.

Cons

I have been using Basecamp every day for the last two plus years and the only thing that I don't like is the sluggish performance from time to time.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

We had to switch because we wanted to be able to collaborate and do project management within one tool.

Fantastic Project Management Tool

Very positive. We enjoy using the tool and it helps us manage a number of clients at once.

Pros

Basecamp is so easy to use and the team loves it. We appreciate the task lists and notifications to keep everyone on track.

Cons

Not many thanks to criticize. This software was very easy to set up and manage on a day-to-day basis.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

We were using both for a while as they provide similar functionality.

Ivan

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

August 2022

Easy to use and efficient Project management tool.

It has made our job a lot easier the project tracking and planning is a vital element in basecamp. Communication has been very efficient in a real-time basis.

Pros

The user interface is very easy to understand. The home page shows you all the projects and lets you navigate between different projects. You can communicate with every team member easily. You can also tag people if needed. you can unsubscribe yourself from any unnecessary notification. The focus feature is also helpful when you don't want to be distracted

Cons

Some minor lags are fixed with the new updated.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

No communication in real-time, hard to keep track of the project, no focus mode

Aksa

August 2022

The best application I have used so far

Simple and easy-to-use all-in-one project management tool for small teams.

Pros

It helps us in connecting with our team members and sharing important information, ideas and knowledge. Check-ins that keep us reminded when to do and what to do.

Cons

Everything is fantastic. I would love to see the feature of adding team members in between pings so that they can join the same conversation.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Basecamp offers more features and is user friendly

Ben

Works; But Leaves A Lot To Be Desired

Pros

Simple to read once set up Easy to access task lists

Cons

- No Dashboard for projects - The homepage update from a few months ago now forces you to view your projects a certain way and you need to click into another link to view your full list now (can't turn off this feature) - No way of seeing real progress of each project - Can't upload multiple docs or pictures to a project from your phone at a time (have to go 1 by 1)

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

I'm not sure what drove us away from Asana (I wasn't a part of that choice)

Gavin

May 2022

Basecamp gives you a lot of bang for the buck

Pros

Basecamp does almost everything we need to do, with the ability to use the APIs we've managed to extend Basecamp to work with our internal and some external systems. Every single project is tracked and managed via the app, our project hours are recorded against each project using the API and we can report on these for costings at any point. There are more competent project management software packages out there, but all of these charge per user and would be a lot more expensive.

Cons

There's a few small features missing, one of these is project management across multiple projects, we're not able to produce GANNT charts or assign people to projects with working hours to ensure the member of staff isn't overloaded. This is minor overall but would definitely be something great to have.

Mainly due to cost.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Basecamp gave us more flexibility and at a lower cost than Trello.

February 2022

Basecamp is the best tool for simple to do list.

I have left basecamp and went to Teamwork.com, after a while, returned to basecamp. I have left basecamp and went to Monday.com, after a while returned to basecamp. That shouls tell you something.

Pros

I think the simplicity of basecamp is wonderful. Almost everyone can ue basecamp, take a new user and throw them into Monday.com or TeamWork.com and they will get lost and faiil. But with Basecamp, it is so easy and intuitive, everyone succeeds!

Cons

Reporting especially email reporting is very weak. also, printing can be improved greratly.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

i have went back and forth. today, i choose the task manager based upon the project that i am managing.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

i usually swith back and forth due to nature of the project.

Faisal Faruque

December 2021

Basecamp made managing my team members easier than ever!

You can call it the Jack of All Trades. Before using Basecamp I had to use a lot of apps for different purposes. For example, one to-do app, another file-sharing app, another messaging app, and so on. It hampered my productivity. But luckily I found Basecamp and this thing got me covered. Now I can have fewer meetings with my team members and save time to do something productive. The integration with other app made it the real hero. I can automate my tasks on Basecamp by using popular integration services and those work seamlessly with Basecamp.

Pros

I have been using Basecamp for a while now. I am genuinely in love with the overall user interface of this platform. It is very easy to use and intuitive. The free plan of the Basecamp is quite generous and it is enough for most of the users. This is why I love this tool so much. But there are some other features that are really helping me to manage my remote team. I can easily assign tasks with deadlines. The email notification system and the mobile app added to the overall value of this tool. I observed that it loads faster on any device with a slower internet connection. This is why my team members even from countries with slow internet can easily access this tool. Overall, the experience is top-notch and I recommend everyone to use this tool.

Cons

There is nothing that I hate about this product. But I think the amazing developer team behind this tool can bring some improvements to the existing features. The price for the Business Plan is quite affordable for large teams. But if they can bring some affordable paid plan for the individual users it would be so much helpful.

Reasons for switching to Basecamp

Before using Basecamp I used Trello. That was kind of okay for managing a tiny team. But when my team grew, I had to find an alternative with most features. Basecamp is the perfect one for all kinds of project management. File storage and document sharing come in handy at times. Overall, this is a hundred times better than Trello and I am fully satisfied with this.

December 2021

Basecamp for final year university students who doing final year projects.

Overall one of the best software which I was use and its functionality , scope , workability are outstanding. I actually like the main concept of the software and It was give massive support to our project for getting successes in the worst situations like these pandemic periods. I was suggest this software to my other colleagues on the university whose also got trouble with doing their final year projects.

Pros

When me and my final year project group members starting the project, the first problem which we were faced is how we get collaborate with each others on this task. Because university was closed due to pandemic situation and we were limited to our homes. So we do some research on the way to overcome with this problem and we met the Basecamp. First I like the main idea of the software because it will be one of the most useful software in this pandemic situation. Lot of projects were stopped due to this pandemic situation and at that time Basecamp provide a good platform to collaborate the people. And another favourite feature on the software is the chat option. It is very useful to each of our members to get interact with each others and shear their ideas in the occasion. The options like progress tracking ,achievement reach, To do listing are very use full for us to assigned each members for their roles and guide our project to in proper way in the correct time. The client portal of the software is another favourite item of mine because it was very helpful to our lecturers to interact with us and observe our project for supervising us to get successful on our project.

Cons

When get starting with the software we had to get use with it first and it was taken some time because this was a whole new platform to us. So I think it will be better if it has some introduction and guiding tips to get familiars with it. When interacting with our lectures using client portal we felt the important of that short learning curve of the soft wear because they would not like to spend their valuable time to waste such a thing. Some of other software we use couldn't get sync with the basecamp so we wish to have that option on the soft wear. Other than that basecamp is one of the best software in functional wise and also a concept wise.

Mohammed

Preparing and implementing tasks through the cooperation of team members

Basecamp contributed to increasing the ability to follow up on all projects of the organization, as well as save documents and documents related to those projects, and also through notifications of tasks that are sent at the specified times to all members, ensuring that everyone stays in touch with the actual situation of the project and enables the project management to know the points Defects and omissions in production baskets, which gives them flexibility with the ability to enter at the right time.

Pros

Basecamp is a flexible program with a distinctive design, which enables the work team, by integrating jobs, to dispense with many of the tasks they perform, which contributes to saving time and effort and increasing productivity. The team will be able to communicate through Basecamp from anywhere at any time and also via mobile phones. Each team member will be able to list the tasks, their due dates, and the members who contribute to the implementation of the task, which makes the follow-up processes and measurement of achievement rates easy and clear to everyone. The application will provide you with notifications about the assigned tasks that you have to follow. The application provides the ability to download files, documents and videos of a specific activity, and they will be saved for reference at any time. The application enables you to work on several projects at the same time, as you will be able to customize the tasks according to the project you are working on.

Cons

Everything is excellent, Basecamp is easy to use for everyone, it has a unique user interface, which allows you to know all the tasks that you are required to participate in and their due dates. Basecamp has an excellent support team and provides educational aids to everyone that helps with a clear understanding of how the app works. Basecamp provides a very large amount of freedom for users, enabling them to include and modify the list of people to send notifications to, ensuring that those notifications reach the people concerned at the specified times.

I always come back to Basecamp

We have three sites. What Basecamp has provided is the unification of messages and tasks across all sites. It has added transparency that is invaluable to all of our team. We can keep important documents. Onboarding videos and other useful information. No more scraps of paper or post-it notes on peoples desks. It provides real accountability for everyone on the team. So simple to use which means 100% user adoption. Everyone loves Basecamp and we have tried every PM software out there. Basecamp is the best in the business!

Pros

When you first start using basecamp, two things strike you the most. It’s clean super tight interface and the lack of some common functions. I see both of these things as a positive. This might seem odd but you soon realise that the makers at Basecamp are uncompromising in their relentless pursuit of keeping you efficient. No bloat. No complication. These all adds up to adoption by the whole team. Which for me is the most important thing. You can have a perfect project management system, but if no one uses it. It’s useless. Basecamp’s gets everything on the same page.

Cons

I would love the app to give you persistent reminders for tasks! Snooze for 5 mins etc.

Reasons for choosing Basecamp

It had everything we needed and nothing we didn't.

Showing 1 - 25 of 13,591 reviews