Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"Cardboard is a super simple application that does what it sets out to do well. It's easy to use and very clean for people to follow along with."
  • icon"I love the ease of adding cards up on the board and the software. Helps with project management."
  • icon"The simplicity of the boards are fantastic and have caused several others in my company to adopt the product as well."
  • icon"Jira integration is awful, mostly didn't work, and can only have two colors of cards."
  • icon"There was a lot of multi-select drag and dropping of all other cards to fill the extra column rather than it disappearing once empty."
  • icon"Unable to copy/paste content - makes it frustrating."

Have you used CardBoard and would like to share your experience with others?

All CardBoard Reviews

A.j.

Perfection that's seemless

In one work amazing. It was a tremendous help during or Sprite Zero. Thank you for an awesome product.

Pros

The most appealing part of the software was how easy it is to use. Everything is seemless and smooth.

Cons

Only recommend changes I would say is to allow overlapping notes.

Russell

Industry: Security and Investigations

Best I've found so far

Pros

It's open ended with what I can do. I like being able to move the cards anywhere I want, the user journey functionality is a great idea, and it creates a good visual.

Cons

The number one issue is the navigation and use of the software. Moving cards around quickly and moving around the board (especially when sharing my screen) needs a lot of work. If it the use of this software improved, it would be my main story board. I still use a physical board for working sessions because of this.

Response from CardBoard

Feedback allows us the opportunity to see what our customers think, and improve the process! Thank you so much for taking the time to review.

Replied October 2018

A great product if it's the only thing you were using.

I was attempting to bootstrap some existing teams so that they could start doing more end to end thinking about their products as we were designing and building them.

Pros

I liked that it was very easy to use. Almost everything was very click and drag, which made it really easy to onboard new users who were new to story mapping. I also really appreciated that it let me share a story map across multiple locations. I work with teams in SF and Seattle. A physical board is a nice idea but just not possible with the way that we are distributed.

Cons

I had some challenges with user management. I work in a large enterprise so adding users individually was a bit of a pain and it was challenge to move users from regular viewer to user or admin roles on multiple boards. I also found that bulk moves of cards was difficult. If I wanted to pick up several cards and put them between two existing rows that wasn't really possible without spending 8 or 10 minutes rearranging the other cards around it to keep the map coherent. Also our org runs on-prem JIRA and I had no way to connect JIRA and confluence together, which made it nearly impossible to keep the two in sync. This is ultimately why I stopped using the product.

Animesh

Story map layout !

Cardboardit was my favourite online post it notes but then I found Mural :) . It gave me much more than cardboardit. But that said , cardboardit was there when Mural wasn’t and pioneered the way !

Pros

The one thing I really love is the fact that I could map out anything I want ! Any flow and which way. The multiple colours definitely help In segregating . I’ve used it as a Kanban board , for story mapping and even for roadmapping to an extent . Multi talented

Cons

Lack of templates is something that bugs me at times. With a tool like cardboardit people could cod what not and use it for what not . I think it’s capable of much more.

Tahmineh

Industry: Biotechnology

Good if you have a team that work from different places

I did enjoy using this platform. It has been helping our team to plan i the real time and it has been really easy for me because a lot of our directors work from home and my boss travels a lot. We also need to present and see presentation from other companies all around the world which has been done easily with CardBoard

Pros

What I really like about it is ti's simplicity. It helps you to map out your projects and share it conveniently by easily changing the theme and looks.

Cons

Some Functionality can be improved. It totally worked for our needs but some people may find it too simple for complicated projects.

Response from CardBoard

Thank you Tahmineh for the review!

Replied October 2019

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Not quite there yet

Anyone who has read the User Story Mapping book gets why a tool like CardBoard is great for doing/saving story maps. It did install easily and I got started quick enough. In my searching/research, I eventually came across StoriesOnBoard, who also follow the tenets in Patton's book. However, they clearly have the imagination to take it further and built in better tools for managing multiple stories, etc. We ended up choosing SoB, despite the fact that (at the time) they didn't have TFS integration. And while this wasn't a factor in my decision, the CEO himself did a late night (for him, in Europe) walk through demo with me to answer some of my questions.

Pros

I learned about CardBoard from book, User Story Mapping. I so wanted this to be more, but it's a basic implementation of story boarding. It did have TFS integration, which I wanted. I also loved the whole premise of a virtual board for doing story mapping with a remote team.

Cons

I found it to be too basic and not very imaginative in its implementation. Given that we'd want to use it with multiple stories and have one place, I felt it didn't give us the tools to do that.

Jason

simple and fast

I've used this to do live training on storymaps and it's flawless. In a world of bloated tools, this is a gem!

Pros

It's simple and fast. Very easy to create story maps, journeys, and it's easy to slice the map into different chunks.

Cons

I suppose if I had to nitpick, a 'collapse' option for 'epics' would be handy, especially when you get into huge storymaps...although that would take away the free-flowing nature of the interface.

CardBoard Review

I tested a few story mapping tools and CardBoard came out on top in my tests. Just need to get budget approval now and I'll be able to start using it.

Pros

I really like the UI and the ease with which cards can be created and moved around - two of the most important things in story mapping. I wasn't able to convince my Jira admin to set up the integration but from the videos I saw it looks to do exactly what I'm looking for.

Cons

I didn't like trying to rearrange all of the cards when one card in a column pushed out a bunch of others. There was a lot of multi-select drag and dropping of all other cards to fill the extra column rather than it disappearing once empty.

Response from CardBoard

Thank you for your review! Let us know if there are any steps we can take to assist you in the approval process!

Veselin

The easy way to Story Mapping

It's a useful tool which gets the job done. You sign up, and create a board without even thinking about the functions. It's that easy. Especially after they updated the interface. Keep in mind the tool is more in the freeform category - you can place anything anywhere in a grid - it won't require you to put specific things in specific slots. The drawback of it is that while it is comfortable, it can't fully integrate with task/issue tracking tools.

Pros

While working with paper and stickies is the most quick tool to adopt, sometimes a digital one is required, as it provides certain benefits (quick editing; sharing; remote collaboration). I liked that it required zero learning for the basics. I just did the storymaps without a hitch, no wondering how I can do this or that. Of course, it provides some advanced functionality, but for the pure, basic, stickies-on-the-wall, experience, you there isn't a learning curve. Just plug and do.

Cons

The free version is said to work like the GitHub model - all boards are public. Everyone can see them and browse them. So far so good. However, unlike GitHub where you can use one of several ways to get your repository to other people (sharing a link, inviting them, telling them the name of the repo...) I didn't find any of it here. I could not share the free board to my colleagues (even for viewing). There is a workaround with exporting, which can get the job done. I understand this is their business model, but then the site should not describe it working as GitHub's public repos, as it, in practice, differs as an end result.

Makes Collaboration Easy

Great way to organize project/product requirements quickly. Love that it allows multiple people working simultaneously. That's real collaboration!

Pros

It was quick and easy to pull a small group together to teach them story mapping through an exercise. Everyone was able to contribute right away. A few even loved CardBoard so much they kept building on the exercise, and demonstrating the product to colleagues.

Cons

Would like to draw release lines that are snug to the user story cards by allowing the lines to turn vertically while going horizontally to indicate releases. Also, would like a way to keep top row in view when scrolling lower.

Good but with some hiccups

I found the software quite useful for basic storyboarding and brainstorming new projects. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the JIRA integration and the nature of the work I'm doing, it just wasn't useful for anything other than large/complicated projects that need a fair amount of planning and it could only be used in the initial stages. Once I had the list of story "slugs" it was better to manually migrate the list over to JIRA and cease using Cardboard.

Pros

I quite liked the intuitive interface and ease of storyboarding things.

Cons

The JIRA integration left something to be desired. The software did not do a good job of informing me of what it would do when I synced the two. It was also not clear to me that this was not a constant sync. Changes in one product were not automatically migrated over to the other. This was especially problematic because later syncs of the stories and epics caused duplicates of the previously synchronized items to appear because the system did not identify previously sync'd stories.

FA

Good idea, missing features, buggy

- Bad and Good - The central idea of the board is nice - Everything around seems to have been donc in a rush - Management of teams are just a mess - The idea a public boards, not searchable, messy . .. give you just a bad image - Not intuitive (except for the cards management)

Pros

- The idea - The fact that their is not real alternative to the product (not saying it's a good product, just not worst than competition) - Easy to use and simple - The journey feature

Cons

- Buggy - The pricing model - Missing at least a crucial features: descent printing (what do you think teams do with a Story Map) - When you move things cards do not reorganized as expected and we end to have to move many cards across the screen. I should not be forced to think in advance what to enter first to avoid delating and moving things around after.

Response from CardBoard

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Whitney

Cardboard Roadmaps

Great for presenting road maps for the future for people in all levels of companies.

Pros

I liked that there was a free trial for the product. When it comes to project planning, mapping, solutions, and tracking, it's hard to find a program with ALL the bells and whistles so the free trial is helpful. The product can be deployed on mac, windows, apple, and android which is important due to employees having different devices.

Cons

It didn't include a lot of the features that we needed when it comes to project solutions. Also need to make sure you have enough licensing.

Peter

CardBoard

I stumbled upon CardBoard a long time ago (2011) when I wanted an easy way to capture a Story Map. I really liked how easy it was to drop cards, move them around, and add some comments. The Team really enjoyed the look and feel of it. It did what we wanted and nothing more. I'm not a heavy user of it, but when I do need to put together a Story Map, CardBoard is what I turn to.

Pros

The simplicity of the tool, it provided me with what I wanted and did not over complicate it with features I did not need.

Cons

The export to excel option was pretty messy, but then again why export it? What I wanted was a way to capture the full board visually to put into a document or communication, to show the overall Story Map (which I could not get in screen shots) I realize I could provide a link to the board for people to access and see the actual Map, but sometimes you just want a picture of it to support a communication.

Sean

Functional But Not Robust

It was functional, but it felt like there were too many obstacles in the way to be an efficient replacement for index cards and a camera. I can see it being useful for other teams but not for ours.

Pros

The learning curve was short, so picking up CardBoard and using it was fast. Creating cards and laying them out was easy.

Cons

The cards, as displayed, were much too small. In order to even include all of the information that a User Story requires for one side of the card much of the text was hidden. The back was always hidden. The grid layout was much too rigid, I had hoped for the ability to overlap cards. If these features were present they were not obvious. Laying out cards initially was easy, but the UI resisted efforts to move cards very far (especially using a touch interface). If I needed to move a card to a different part of the board it was almost easier to delete and recreate it than move it.

Nice application to help out with team work

Nice application to help out at the start ofthe project. Anytime I had questions, Customer care was super fast and effective. I appreciate this software.

Pros

the updates done overtime. At first we could not copy/paste. Now we can. The way we can add more info to a post-it is nice and allows better communication with the team.

Cons

It does not connect to the application we use to track work with the developper. So really I use cardboard to start the project and walk the wall..but once we are in a sprint I need to use another software to do stories and track progress and work needed.

Satarupa

Great Kanban view board

Overall Cardboard is a great tool to use. They could add more flexibility to use and maybe more sticky variants like various shapes . But over all, we love the integrations and ease of use

Pros

We use Cardboard for our Scrum/ Kanban feature view of backlog and it’s very flexible to use. We also use Pivotal tracker. The integration works like a charm !!

Cons

Better look and feel. Dynamic multi person use at a time. Make it a collaberative tool !

Very nice tool for Story Mapping

I've become interested in product management and read about User Story Mapping technique. Then I googled for a story mapping software and that's how I got to CardBoard. I tried it for a few of my own projects and it worked nice! I was able to create a visual backlog of things I had to do, and track my progress against the backlog. Everything was very transparent and easy to understand, so I highly recommend learning Story Mapping and trying Cardboard to everybody.

Pros

* Very easy to start using it. After you get yourself familiar with the Story Map Concept and sign up for CardBoard, you can start doing the mapping exercise in no-time. * Simple, yet powerful interface. There aren't too many features in the interface (and I'm not saying they are needed), and that makes the UI nice and clean. You won't get lost in tons of unnecessary or rarely used features, everything is at hand and useful.

Cons

The app itself is great, the following points are not criticism, rather ways of further improvement: * Story mapping is not a wide know concept, so some tutorial(s) about story mapping would be great. For example, the competitors storiesonboard offers a "User Story Mapping for beginners" guide. Something like this would be helpful for CardBoard users as well. * UI could benefit from some additions, e.g. to allow to increase the card titles font.

Response from CardBoard

Thank you for the review and suggestions for future improvements.

Replied December 2018

Marlon

Product Team - Priorities

Overall, this has changed my teams approach of how we work with the business! It is a great interactive tool and our business stakeholders love walking through the roadmap and scope in this collaborative tool!

Pros

The software simply and quickly allows us to build the framework (skeleton/backbone) of the business process and how technology supports through through the power of cards. Through this process we able to quickly understand our knowledge gaps. The journey feature also provides focus during deeper discussions.

Cons

Most of the quirks were address in the latest update (biggest being the introduction of colors and new layouts). However, we still struggle with the printing capabilities and how if needed we need to share in a planning session.

Response from CardBoard

Thank you for your review!

Kevin