Browse Celtx Reviews

Osarumwense from TatafoHQ

A Screenwriting Softwre For Everyone!

Celtx has really helped me to execute a lot of project. It is very easy to use. If you are a beginner screenwriter, i'd recommend you use Celtx. You don't have to worry about formatting, it handles that for you. As a professional screenwriter, Celtx is your sure bet.

Pros

The fact that I am able to collaborate with other Writers to work on the same project is one thing I love most about Celtx. With its cloud feature, it is impossible to lost a file as all works are automatically saved to the cloud. The tips on the blog section is another feature of Celtx i love so much. Those tips help you overcome "Writer's Block". The software is pretty simple to navigate and use. It is available for both PC and Mobile Phone users.

Cons

I really don't have anything negative about Celtx. But they should integrate "TITLE PAGE" feature in the mobile version. Unlike the PC version, mobile phone version don't allow writing "Title Page" in your screenplay.

Response from Celtx

Replied June 2021

Thanks for the love, Osarumwense! We'll be sure to pass along your feedback on adding Title Page functionality to our mobile apps. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us if you have any more feedback you'd like to chat on, please feel free to reach out to our Support Team at support@celtx.com anytime.

So do you wanna write?

Overall, the Celtx program is awesome. Not only does it help me work as a team and manage the production aspects of my scripts and staging. It also has a very organized and easy to use interface. The production tools are absolutely fantastic.

Pros

It doesn't matter if you are a student, an amateur, or a teacher. This program, used even by great screenwriters, is excellent. Celtx helps you to correctly divide the sequences, to space the dialogues, to easily indicate the entrance of the characters, the general objective is that you concentrate on the creativity, and the program takes care of the formatting. Scripts can be shared from within the program to harmonize teamwork, and can also be sent in text (.txt) or pdf format via e-mail. The texts remain stored in the cloud, which makes it great for possible loss of physical devices.

Cons

There are not many cons to this program. Perhaps the most significant one is the price, but this depends on who you are and by this I mean: if what you are looking for is a casual immersion into the world of film writing (among others) perhaps it is not the best option, at least I would take it as an unprofitable investment. Taking into account that its costs range from twenty to thirty dollars. But out of that and some small "bugs" in its mobile version. This program is great, not for nothing it is chosen.

Reasons for Choosing Celtx

Celtx is a product that has been user-friendly from the start. It is an affordable price considering the profitability I give it at a professional level.

Response from Celtx

Replied July 2021

Thanks for the love! So glad to hear that you're enjoying the Script Editor and production management tools. If you have any further feedback you'd like to share with us, our Support Team would love to hear from you. You can reach out to them any time at support@celtx.com.

Script writing and formatting made easy.

It's great for writing. The cloud service is a nice option!

Pros

If you've ever written a script, be it for a film, tv show, comedy skit, short video, etc, you know how import getting the format correct is. It helps actors read, gives space for people to take notes, is clean and familiar, and most import...it's the industry standard. You can try to fake it in basic word processing software, but you will never get it just right. Celtx helps you there immensely. Other features such as the Index Cards, character notes, etc, they really help you when trying to revise your script. It's great for a creative.

Cons

The only issue...Final Draft is still the standard. So if you want to share a work in progress, you might run into some issues with writers and producers who prefer the older ways. Also, if you come from that background, you may need to spend some time brushing up on the new ways to get things done in Celtx.

Response from Celtx

Replied April 2021

Hi there! We appreciate you sending along this feedback. We're always working on improving our products, and we've made some major improvements since 2018! If you get a chance to check out the Online Studio and have some more feedback to share, you can reach out to our Support Team at support@celtx.com.

Miquiel from Myth and Hip Hop

Complete Story Development System

Story Management in one place and having all assets in one place in the cloud.

Pros

I love the following: - the ability to change formats (from novel to screenplay to graphic novel to stage play) - this is the most unbelievable benefit of Celtx - a one-stop shop for story development - the ability to storyboard your story FIRST before writing the screenplay - the addition of graphic novel format - the addition of GEM, to write and develop stories for gamers - the self-reassurance that you get when you purchase the studio edition; now, you are not just JOE, you are JOE STUDIOS! - having all your files in the cloud per project

Cons

Celtx is powerful for teamwork and collaboration, but their focus is NOT on individuals. You can use it for screenwriting and gaming, but the cost to you as an individual is unwarranted because you can't get a stripped-down version, you have to get the same package that entire TEAMS purchase, which can seem unfair to individuals.

Andrew from Bradley Productions

Celtx has been the easiest way to write a film script I have ever come across!

While working at a production company, having access to all the script files and being able to edit and print directly has been incredible. I have not come across another script writing platform that saves as much time and poor formatting as Celtx.

Pros

As a free script writing software, Celtx offers the writer everything they need to create professional looking scripts. With features displaying how long you have typed and how long you have spent thinking, it helps stop writer's block and keeps you motivated to keep writing (which is about the most important part of writing). It is very user friendly by making the complicated-looking script format look very easy. I would recommend Celtx to beginners or experts that have been writing scripts for 20+ years.

Cons

I do not have many bad things to say about Celtx, but it has been difficult to transition between writing offline and transitioning into writing online. I wish that it was easier to take a document from my laptop or phone and update that script when I get internet.

Response from Celtx

Replied April 2021

Hi Andrew thanks for the love! We also appreciate your feedback about Offline Mode. If you're having issues with Offline Mode or would like to chat about how we could improve it, our Support Team would love to hear from you! You can reach out to them at support@celtx.com.

Mercè from Securitas Security Services USA, Inc.

Has more uses than people think

Many, actually the movie script function is the one that I use the less. Thanks to how Celtx is structured and how the texts are written I have discovered many other uses such as writing my personal diary. Instead of writing my personal feelings and thoughts on the diary and briefly describe the day, I write what has happened more or less like a script and also my thoughts on a certain issue inside brackets or things like that. That allows me to make a more accurate picture of my day in all its aspects. Also, it can be used to write song lyrics and cooking recipes, thanks to the how they look at the end.

Pros

It can be used for many more things than only to write scripts. For example, I have used it to store song lyrics by the artists, or cooking recipes, notes, my personal diary, etc. It is very versatile. Plus, it is very easy to use and doesn't consume to much RAM.

Cons

I would say that the worst part is that you cannot add any color or format to the texts, so you are strictly attached to one single "output" that cannot be modified.

Arfa from Zameen.com

The most amazing screenwriting application.

Pros

The software is really easy to use once you get used to the shortcut keys. It's like working magic while writing your screenplay and the output is on point. I can export my screenplay as pdf as well as txt for final draft.

Cons

The formatting options are really low. I can't change font type, font size, and spacing between the sentences.

Response from Celtx

Replied April 2021

Hi Arfa! All our formatting is industry standard, so the ability to change font type, size, and spacing isn't included in our Studio for that reason! If you'd like to chat more about industry standard formatting, our Support Team can send along some more info; you can reach them at support@celtx.com.

Natalie from "Que Tal Miami"​ TV show

Industry: Motion Pictures and Film

My go to screenwriting software

I’ve been using celtx for 8 years now. It’s my go to screenwriting platform. I love that I can erite from my ipad or my iphone at it all syncs.

Pros

Thebautosave feature. While writing on other platforms, I’ve lost so much content to do harddrive crashes and forgetting to save my work while in a hurry.

Cons

There is no celtx app for the ckmputer anymore and everything is online. I miss the days when there was a computer platform

Response from Celtx

Replied April 2021

Hi Natalie! Thanks for sending along your feedback. We have just released a new app called Celtx Screenplay! You can always reach out to our Support Team at support@celtx.com if you have any questions or would like some more info.

Start writing your feature

I really enjoy using this software, due to its simplicity and intuitivness. I also like the storyboard and notes view of getting all your scenes worked out in advance of the actual writing.

Pros

Ease of use within the production environment as well as the collaboration aspect of the software within work groups.

Cons

I don't like the cloud-based aspect of the formatting, because I do a ton of my writing offline I would like my things to live offline as well as online. Not quite positive if its due to versioninig.

Response from Celtx

Replied April 2021

Hi there! We do have some Celtx apps that might suit your needs, if you're looking to write offline. Please reach out to our Support Team at support@celtx.com for more info!

Evelyn from Freelance

Writing on the go

I have write two or three scripts with Celtx, I like it because is an option for students and people that do not have the money to use bigger software and this one is a totally proffesional and affordable option. Also it has acces to do other production files that are so neccesary.

Pros

I love that celtx is a software you can use online, this is great so you don´t miss your files in case you dont have your computer or your information. The panel it has to see all the projects is a great feature that other softwares do not have.

Cons

You need to log in, is not like a software on the computer as other ones.

Response from Celtx

Replied August 2021

Thanks for your review, Evelyn! So glad to hear that you're finding the Studio useful. If you have any more feedback you'd like to share with us, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Support Team at support@celtx.com. They'd love to hear from you!

Great Screenwriting Software

Pros

Celtx in my opinion is sufficiently easier to use than Final Draft (not a knock on Final Draft). Both are great. Celtx is just more user friendly.

Cons

Sometimes the margins are set wrong and the page number won't show when you export to PDF or you print.

César from Ilimitados Marketing Digital

The best software for scriptwriting. The scriptwriter will feel that has a friend.

Pros

It's free and it has versions for windows, mac OS X and Linux. On line with text processor, it counts with spelling checker that autocompletes during the scriptwriting.

Cons

It's needed to be on line for save the project in PDF. And other of the failures that i see is that just is available en english. Any scriptwriter from other language can find it confuse.

Chris from CSz Sacramento/ComedySportz

Excellent, affordable product for creating entertainment

Easy of use, functionality, value.

Pros

Well, it's great that they offer a free version and multiple paid options. The software is easy to use and doesn't bother with a lot of unnecessary "bells and whistles." I feel like the simplicity of the software helps me focus on the content.

Cons

Sometime the interface is annoying, especially when trying to switch between formats, e.g., scene direction vs. dialogue.

Celtx review

Pros

Celtx is pretty intuitive to use and relatively easy to figure out, even for someone doing screenwriting for the first time. Looks professional, so you don't have to waste time on figuring out formatting, and just focus on writing.

Cons

The one issue I've run into is Celtx requiring internet connection to export to pdf.

Nathan from Wheaton College

Not a filmmaker, but still easy to use

Pros

While my brother has used this software a lot, I have helped him with scripts and it is very simple to use and understand even without knowing the correct way to format a script.

Cons

Switching between offline and online can be challenging.

Response from Celtx

Replied April 2021

Hi Nathan! Thanks so much for your review. Glad to hear you find the Studio intuitive to understand and use! If you need some help using Offline Mode, our Support Team is here to help. You can reach them at Support@celtx.com.

The program very friendly. Has all the necessary utilities and does not limit writers.

Pros

It has many functionality. you can do literary script, technical script, storyboard, take into account even the smallest details, such as visual effects

Cons

It has many production design elements that are far from confusing to the writer. You must be connected to the internet to save your project in PDF