• Pros

• "I loved the learning curve, from the beginning is clear how to create even relatively complex models. Also the sketch feature is awesome!"

• "I loved the fact that the software is free for private consumers. It is fairly intuitive and easy to work with. All files can also easily be exported to 3D printers or milling machines"

• "Love the ability to work on one project/design live with a team. Great feature that really sets this software apart."

• Cons

• "The leak of some commads, but the development is going fast "

• "It's now gotten more difficult to apply for a startup licence to be able to use the software for free for commercial purposes, but I still think it's worth it."

• "Stability is a but shaky on low end machines, but with cloud saving I never loose work."

Browse Fusion 360 Reviews

David from GIMovile

Excellent 3D CAD design software

I have enjoined using it, I actually was able to finish a prototype design using tool, it saved my day since it allowed me to design an organic piece that I badly needed, that I was not able to design accurately with open source software that I was using at that time.

Pros

- There is a free version for Fusion 360 used for students, startups and teachers. - The modeling tools are really good they allow you to build organic shapes with ease. - The learning curve is not as steep. - It has an amazing support since is owned by Autodesk. - You can create machine code (G-Code) to send it to cut or 3D print. - There are several tutorials online and now is more used in the mechanical design industry.

Cons

The thing I did not like is that is entirely run on the cloud, you have to have an internet connection.

Reasons for Choosing Fusion 360

Because I was able to use it for what i needed and was not crazy expensive and was also fast to design in it

Reasons for Switching to Fusion 360

I needed a solution that could export tool paths as G-Code to run in the router

Joshua from JNM Rise

Industry: Machinery

JNM Rise Inc - Fusion360 Review

This software has been so easy to use from day one! I couldn't be more thrilled with it. Being an SME, it is offered on an annual basis free of charge. My network of engineers are amazed I am able to accomplish what I have using this software when the companies they come from are paying thousands for licensing. I also would like to note that Autodesk offer an incredible specialization to really round out your skills via Coursera.

Pros

This software has been an incredible tool for my business. Being that our principle service is Design and Engineering, Fusion 360 has offered all my team and I could ask for in a software. It has been very intuitive, and regular updates or feedback from the customer service team. In addition, there is a massive online community with video tutorials or guides both created by, or individual users of the Fusion360 software.

Cons

I can honestly say that there has not been an issue since day one of using the software. If I have a need to address, the online community are quick to provide thoughtful responses and guidance allowing me to solve any issues my team and I may have.

Reasons for Choosing Fusion 360

Cost was #1, but the ease of use and recommendations through the online community led me to download Fusion360 and as long as the software maintains its current state and continues with upgrades, I wont be in the market to explore alternatives. I highly recommend this software to anyone looking!!

Reasons for Switching to Fusion 360

When I transferred CAD date to my slicing software for printing, I found that in blend the data did not translate well. With Fusion360, I found that I was able to convert the CAD files immediately to a file type that could be used for slicing, then through that software create G Code for 3D Printing. It was absolutely critical to my company that we find the right software and Fusion360 checked every box!

Best CAD software

It is great software if your design is simple, for complex designing you have to invest more time in it to become an expert.

Pros

It have great UI. It is full featured 3D modelling software can be accessed freely using student version. we can create machine code for 3d printing the designed model. It is best suitable for mechanical industry . Online tutorials can be found so using this is not that difficult.

Cons

It run on cloud so you have to have an internet connection for using this. Learning can be difficult for the beginners. Beside these it is a great software for 3D modelling

Ilgaz from Snipers Design

Overpriced and doesn't properly work

It's bad, i wouldnt recommend. I've started to use it because it was free to makers and small companies, then it got hella expensive and i wouldn't suggest to even touch it.

Pros

Ease of use and UI is elegant to look at.

Cons

Software isnt yet to be finished. Coding itself is bad and people with coding background including myself thinks that this one software is built upon 2 different programming languages that contradict each other. It's clunky and tries to bring you errors instead of trying to understand what you're trying to do and forums are full of self-boasting fans and dwellers which only to bring you that it has a "workaround" and you should be ashamed of yourself to bring the problem on the table. Everything is cloud. What i mean by everything i mean EVERYTHING. You dont have any privacy or any probability to work offline. Render costs you money. Even if youre a paid user. Little things come together and forms you this one big mess ball. Tl:Dr : i wouldnt touch this program ever again after this project ends.

Ryan from Javlyn Process Systems

Industry: Food Production

Steep Learning Curve

For me, this software is just too complex to serve my needs. I only need to use this software on occasion, so I don't think that I'm going to invest the time to learn the complexities of this program. It would be nice if they found a way to offer a limited set of tools in a "beginner mode" to get people going a little faster.

Pros

Fusion 360 is a full featured 3D modeling software that many people can access for free. It is an extremely powerful tool that can get almost anything done that a professional 3D modeler would need. This tool is part of the Autodesk software suite, so it is backed by a large company. That means that you can find tons of on-line forums and tutorials to get things figured out. Additionally, you don't need to be concerned about this software being discontinued or not supported in the near future.

Cons

While this software does offer all of the tools that you might need (and then some!), that comes with a cost. It is very difficult to get started as a newbie. I'm an experienced CAD software user and I still found it very difficult to use this software at first. If you really need all of the power and plan on using the software often, then it may be worth investing the time in learning this software, but if you are a casual user, you might want to look at other alternatives.

Alex from Self - Employed

Very useful software, free for personal/non commercial use

It's a great piece of software for people who want to work on projects that require CAD rendering. It's fairly intuitive to work with and with tutorials someone can easily learn the fundamentals and be working on their project in a few hours.

Pros

Free for non-commercial use. Powerful, intuitive tools. Great for hobbyists, 3d printing, non-commercial projects. Huge body of information and tutorials. cloud based storage

Cons

Has a learning curve, like any 3D rendering or engineering software. Can run into performance hitches occasionally. File management on cloud is occasionally confusing.

Reasons for Switching to Fusion 360

Needed more robust software suite

Dheeraj from RV College of Engineering

Its great Modelling and simulation software for rapid prototyping and iterative projects

Overall a great experience, I mainly use it for product renders and design mock-ups. I've participated at the Michelin Design challenge and was able to innovate with the help of Fusion 360 as student.

Pros

The user interface was much more easy to use as a beginner and over the 2 years as an experienced user. Fusion 360 has multiple avenues from modelling to rendering to CAM/3D printing simulation which is very helpful in not wasting time exporting it to 3D printing software and then modify the design.

Cons

The software seemed to not do a good job with respect to importing files of solidworks format and converting it over cloud. The speed of upload and download of files is quite slow and cloud rendering feature can be made more responsive/interactive.

Reasons for Switching to Fusion 360

Ease of use, much better and neater UI and workspace. Not technically sophisticated. Can model, simulate, motion study and validate manufacturing in a single application.

Marco Luca from ing. Marco Cantavenna

The next big thing

I'm very satisfied to have switched on Fusion360 and I use the simulation features that allows me to made structural calculations using fast cloud computing

Pros

Autodesk made a huge development over the year to create a high level product. There is not a best feature but a lot of good feature that melt together makes a very good software

Cons

The leak of some commads, but the development is going fast

Reasons for Choosing Fusion 360

the price is lower and the development is huge

Reasons for Switching to Fusion 360

Autocad is old and leaks of many commands that now are need to design in a good way.

Kanad from IIT Guwahati

Best 3D Modelling Software

As a hobbyist and educators Fusion 360 provides free licence for it.

Pros

Ease of use. Free 3 Year license for students and educators Fast and easy Model Analysis. Cloud-based Model storage.

Cons

As it is comparatively new software still contains some glitches and crashes or sometimes requires a restarting the computer to get it working.

Reasons for Switching to Fusion 360

Ease of use and somehow better GUI than AutoCAD. Cloud Based model storage and analysis saved a lot of space.

James from Phynx Fiber

Easy to learn, but impossible to master. Everything I need for 3D modeling.

I have used Fusion 360 to create some 3D models of my own, as well as modifying some models provided by others in the huge community of 3D modeling. I'm sure it will take years to master, if I ever come even close, but so far, I have been very impressed.

Pros

This software, although a little daunting at first for a newcomer, was surprisingly easy to learn. Watch some youtube videos to learn the basics, and off you go.

Cons

As mentioned, at first glance, from a beginner perspective, the software is a little overwhelming. But with a little guidance, the basics will be taken care of, and I feel it was easy sailing after jumping in there and trying a few things out.

Reasons for Switching to Fusion 360

I switched from Tinkercad because I needed more robust tools, and the ability to be more precise.

Fusion 360 Review

Easy to use software with very to create drawing and 3d models of easy as well as complex articles.

Pros

Draw in 2 dimensions and then create 3 dimensional objects. Setting up joints to animate the designed piece's functionality and capability. Animation can be created for assembly of an article consisting of various pieces. I learnt this software totally from YOUTUBE support for the product - very easy.

Cons

On the free version, PDF's cannot be created. Understanding the timeline functionality can be difficult in the beginning.

An Excellent Tool for Designing 3d Prints and CAD Prototypes

In the context of Fusion being a tool for novices, it is an excellent tool to start designing in to learn the ins and outs of CAD and 3D modeling.

Pros

Fusion is a hybrid parametric modeling program offered by Autodesk. Fusion is the more entry level offerings in the Autodesk lineup, being simpler to use compared to their other offerings like Maya and 3DSMax, albeit while fulfilling a different role. One of the main benefits of Fusion 360 is that it is free. After then end of the trial you can choose to continue using the software as a hobbyist for free, allowing you to use it so long as you do not monetize the models created in Fusion. Being free, there is plenty of documentation and tutorials available to get started on Fusion and begin using it for CAD design. One of the areas where Fusion shines is for 3d printing, creating suitable printable models with ease. Fusion integrates with many models of 3d printers so that they can be directly printed from the program. For unsupported printers, Fusion can also export 3d printable formats such as .STL files for the printer to use. This is usually preferable anyways, as it allows for more flexibility compared to printing right in Fusion.

Cons

Fusion is a hybrid modeler, combining the features of a direct modeler and parametric modeler to create a more streamlined and easy to use tool overall. This means that some of the more complex parametric modeling tools and functions are missing from Fusion, making it unsuitable for more serious CAD design. While the interface is clean, many functions are often hidden behind too many mouse clicks that can make the program hard to navigate at times. this can be particularly confusing for those unaccustomed to 3D modeling or CAD software.

Jason from JasonAA

Best CAD software for the price

Fusion 360 has made it really easy to prototype designs, as it is much easier to pick up than a lot of other CAD software, like Inventor and Solidworks, and significantly cheaper.

Pros

First of all, it's really easy to use, and it can run on lower-specced machines that can't run other CAD solutions. I also love how it's cross-platform. I switched from Windows to macOS about a year ago, and still have to use Windows for certain software, but I can start a project on my Mac and easily open the same project on a Windows device. And everything is saved to the cloud so it's super easy to keep track of your files and switch between devices. Fusion also has a version history, so you can very easily rollback to older versions of a file, or even just rollback certain modifications to a file. Another benefit of the cloud storage is that I can just send an email with a link to my colleagues and they also have access to the same file that I'm working on, so no more worrying if other people have the correct or most up-to-date version of the file.

Cons

Sometimes Fusion takes a while to launch. Another issue I have is with the pricing of cloud renderings. If you are a student you have unlimited 'cloud credits', but for a hobbyist or business, you have to buy a pack of at least 100 credits for $100, and every time a cloud rendering or simulation is done, you have to pay one of those credits. It doesn't seem like much, but it does add up, and I would personally refrain from using the cloud rendering and simulation services.

Ryan from BYU Crop Biomechanics Lab

The best CAD tool for hobbyists and anyone who wants to make something

I first used Fusion 360 as an undergrad because it was free for students, and later found out that it was also free for hobbyists. I love that approach to software, because I believe anyone should be able to dream something up and make it; Fusion 360 just provides one of the most powerful tools for that development process. I've used it to design robot parts, program machine toolpaths, and modify CAD designs from free libraries for fun. I really enjoy using it.

Pros

Fusion 360 set out to be the best integrated CAD and design software, and it certainly has achieved a lot of its goals. While not as high-powered as top-tier CAD programs, it holds its own and is uniquely designed with the user in mind. I love Fusion 360's cloud-based system; without having to store files locally, I can log in on any machine that has Fusion 360 and access my projects. The interface is clean and easily customized, and the tools are intuitive. There is also an active community that is great at answering questions, and a lot of YouTube tutorials put out by Autodesk and others that fully explore Fusion 360's functionality.

Cons

Because Fusion 360 is constantly being updated and new developments are being added regularly, sometimes you will open it up after a few weeks without using it and the interface will be different. If you're trying out a preview feature, you might not get to keep it if the development team decides to go in a different direction. But this is rare.

A great alternative to the more expensive 3D modeling softwares out there

Pros

The cloud-based rendering is a great feature in Fusion 360 which puts way less strain on your cpu compared to a local render, allowing to continue working uninterrupted. There are a ton of render options for both your model and the background environment, and the final quality of the rendered images is fantastic. I like the cloud-based file sharing option which allows you to collaborate with others on the same project. It's also available for mac operating system as well as windows unlike some of its competitors. Regular updates and improvements that run relative unnoticed in the background, and they are constantly adding cool new features. It takes up very little room on your hard drive as the software is mostly cloud-based.

Cons

Fusion 360 is still a relative newcomer in the 3D modeling software world, and although I think it is a great contender to it's competitors, it is still very glitchy and crashes often. The output file format options are very limited compared to the input file format options.

David from David Castellà Fornós

My first real CAD and CAM experience

I'm using this software with a non-profit license (free) and despite the recent announcement about the functionality cutout (from first October 2020) to 10 active projects, I think it will remain to be my option. The main advantage versus his main competitor (Sketchup) are the fabrication functions. For a maker with an interest in CNC and/or 3D printing, it can be the perfect software.

Pros

Extensive functionality for the makers (CAM, simulation, generative design,...). Possibility to work locally with a good cloud-integrated repository. Good plugin marketplace with free options. Extensive learning materials on Autodesk website (updated) and third-party authors. Flexible payment options with a usable free version.

Cons

You will need an additional GCode sender program if you are doing CNC milling. Some learning curve. Not as good cloud assets library as SketchUp.

CAM funcionality

Martino from Higher Education

Good work Autodesk!!

My overall experience with fusion is very much positive! I use it for every project i need to make and i'm very happy

Pros

With these software Autodesk tried to unify a lot of their softwares and i think they've created something really powerful and accessible. Fusion 360 is very powerful and free for hobbies or small companies. This is incredible!

Cons

Sometimes Fusion can behave strangely but Autodesk launches updates basically every week to fix problem or to add new features.

Christopher from Central Square Technologies, Inc

I use this for prototyping AND teaching children how to design 3D prints!

I've really been able to take my modeling and prototyping and even teaching STEM students to the next level.

Pros

Fantastic ease of use, easy to teach and learn. Everything is in places that makes sense and you can create models based on measurements very easily. The software is designed to go right to 3D printers and even CNC machines. Lot's of options for modeling types/contexts such as parametric and even sculpting primitives. The cloud platform makes it very easy to access your work from other computers/devices.. One of the most useful features for me is the fact it handles threads so well, easy to 3D print and have parts properly screw together. I tested over 30 different modeling software packages before I settled on this. No regrets.

Cons

The only real gripe I have is with the overall model of subscription services, I'd rather pay and own this type of software but I understand I am getting real time patches and updates.

Raitis from Freelance

The most comprehensive software you can get for free

I have been using it in at least 3 different startups I worked at and it never disappointed. Yes, there are some quirks or it's lacking if you expect to find something specialized, but then again - it's a work in progress. Fusion 360 has one of the best and most responsive teams of developers and product designers who actually listen to what people report and ask for on forums and implement those features constantly. As in you don't have to wait for the release sometime next year and hope for the best.

Pros

It has all the features to satisfy you as a beginning or reasonably skilled maker - someone in mechanical engineering or digital manufacturing.

Reasons for Switching to Fusion 360

I switched from the now discontinued Autodesk 123D suite which is incompatible in the feature set it provides. Mainly switched as my skills and requirements grew.

Long from UCR

Great Designs Require a Reliable Software

Thanks to Fusion 360, I have found myself relying on it constantly for virtual design testings. Of course, true testing requires real-world application; however, Fusion 360 has been fairly accurate with its simulated statistics. Ever since high-school, my team and I discovered Fusion 360 and used it for our design testings to which we 3D-printed and used for our Toyota-sponsored hydrogen car. By far one of the most reliable and useful software for prospective designers and engineers. Or you know, if you have a passion for these kind of fields, I recommend giving Fusion 360 a shot.

Pros

As an engineering major, Fusion 360 has become my go-to software when I feel the need to simulate any designs my team produces. It provides a multitude of options when creating designs, such as angular checks, grid-line-based auto adjustment, 360 degrees perspective, and so on. It also has a cloud feature that allows you to store your designs or even share it via email. I also find it particular helpful that you can do design tests such as putting it through a wind-funnel and seeing the air resistance as well as the designs performance in general.

Cons

Although I use this software quite often, I have to say it did take me a little time to figure out what each option did and how to become more fluent with my use of Fusion 360. Thereby, Fusion 360 is not for those that aren't willing to put in the effort and passion in running designs. It takes quite a bit of patience to understand the functionalities overall.

Ryan from ATS

Everything you could want.....and more

This is the only software I choose to use when starting a project. I have used other CAD packages in the past, but Fusion 360 has made everything easier. It's not just my top recommendation for CAD software, it's my only recommendation.

Pros

It has everything you could want in a single CAD/CAM package. You can take an idea from concept, through development, and then to manufacturing without switching programs. The software is very intuitive if you have ever used any other piece of CAD software. It's also very easy to experiment with different tools you may not normally use. With Fusion 360 it allows you to jump into Rendering or even some FEA analysis without having to learn an entirely new piece of software.

Cons

I dont have many. When getting started you may have a little trouble learning how bodies and components affect one another, but once you learn that then everything else is very intuitive.

Kevin from construktiv GmbH

Best choice for Makers

I was able to teach myself 3D CAD, and solve all my basic needs around 3D printing projects, like little accessories, cases or replacement parts for any broken item around the house.

Pros

Fusion 360 is an excellent piece of software for hobbyists and makers, especially considering that it's completely free, even for small businesses. The learning curve is very steep and if you are willing you can create complex designs all by yourself in very short time.

Cons

You need a basic understanding of the working principles of a 3D CAD software and you must be willing to try and learn. It's not as easy as working with primitives like in Tinkercad, but it's of course aimed at another group of people. What should also be noted, is that Fusion 360 is cloud based, so all your designs are stored there, which is convenient, when you access them from different locations but can also be a disadvantage if Autodesk will one day decide to pull the plug on the servers. If you are using an older Mac, be aware that they will soon drop support for macOS below version 10.13.

JOHN from Navy

Industry: Military

3D printing.

I love fusion 360. I use it for all my 3D modeling designing techniques. I find myself wanting to use this more and more with each use. It's honestly the best i have found yet.

Pros

This application blows others like sketchup out of the water. It allows me to create a components so that i can create an entire object within the application rather than creating seperate components and trying to merge them all in a different project/file.

Cons

Fusion 360 can cost a little much if you can't take advantage of its student license.

Zoran from Mikroautomatik

Industry: Research

Must have tool for Hobbyist

I have been using Fusion for more than two years now, previously I have been using Solidworks but for hobbyist it is way to expensive

Pros

Ease of use and plenty of on line courses held by bunch of professionals. As a hobbyist I am using fusion to make models which later will be printed on 3D printer. For fast prototyping must have tool. Free for students and educators - hobbyists

Cons

I have no complaints regarding this software, it is stunning

Great For Everyone

Fusion has provided me an insight into the world of CAD and helped me build up a useful skillset for engineering design

Pros

Versatile in its ability to construct anything, Has materials and structural testing suite and can produce a variety of dependable results (tested against irl results and had a 2% margin of error)

Cons

Takes some time to learn if not trained in previous renditions of the software, quite a few bugs with intercepting elements.

Brandon from Aviation & Aerospace

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Great tool for 3d Printing!

Pros

The feature set of this tool was really great. I regularly design 3d models to print and this has played a key part in my learning. And it was really easy to use. I have used other cad tools in the past so I do have experience but I do think it would easy for anyone to pickup.

Cons

- Lack of simulation tools for 3d printed parts - Hard to do text or sketch on curved surfaces

Brian from University of Utah

Industry: Biotechnology

Fusion 360 is a more Modern and Friendly Solidworks

I enjoy using Fusion 360 for design, the interface and modern design make it pleasant to use.

Pros

The interface is very up to date and easy to get used to. It does not feel like most cad software programs, it is a sort of happy medium between the old interface of products like SolidWorks and AutoCAD and newer simpler products that are made for more lightweight editing. It is easy to manipulate and create objects, and I find myself often working faster in Fusion 360 than when I use SolidWorks.

Cons

It feels like some of the more intense and powerful tools are missing (like structural analysis and finite element modeling), which is likely more a result of the kind of product they are trying to release than slacking on the part of the developers.

Dave from Entrepreneur

New to CAD/CAM, but very easy to learn.

I love it! I learned to use this software by following the training and tutorials from Academy.TitansofCNC.com Prior to using F360, I had used Sketchup and found it very limiting and "toyish". F360 to Sketchup is a like a Mack Truck compared to a Chevy S10, in a different league.

Pros

A lot of tutorials are available for learning the capabilities of this amazing software. Very intuitive and easy to use.

Cons

There are certain steps or procedures that must be followed, but this is more of the machining process than the software. The CAM operations are very intuitive.

Andrew from Big Rapids Public Schools

Not as powerful, but still very useful.

Pros

Really like that you can setup controls to emulate different programs like SolidWorks or Inventor. It is also very easy to setup CAM features and simulate the milling of a part.

Cons

It is very difficult to save projects offline if you are working in an area without internet access.

Cost

Reasons for Switching to Fusion 360

Free education licenses from AutoDesk.

Miguel from Mezu

Finally a 3D CAD/CAM design software cross-platform

I was a user of another software from the same company probably 14 years ago when I was taking a product design degree, and had to stop using it when I transitioned to Mac. It's great now to be able to use it again without having to create virtual machines! It's still the same great product, with a lot of new features

Pros

It's great to have a CAD/CAM software that runs natively on MacOS system. It has been my favourite tool to design, model, assemble and render projects, and all on the same tool. No exports needed or external render engines - it's all I need!

Cons

It can be a bit heavy when processing big fies, and performance-wise it could be improved on a MacOs systems.

Reasons for Switching to Fusion 360

Exclusively because I changed operating system on my machine

Steven from Futurist Playground

Industry: Medical Devices

My current favorite 3D modeling tool for 3D prints

I use Fusion for rapid prototyping of medical devices, furniture, and art. I'm satisfied with the program and like that it is both Cloud Based and has offline capabilities.

Pros

Fusion 360 is pretty easy to use and the drop-downs are intuitive (assuming you're not new to modeling). I like how easy it is to export models to the CNC or 3D Printer.

Cons

I also do video game design and Fusion has NOT made that easy to do at all. It looks like I'll aso be using 3DSMax for awhile until they Fusion becomes a little more friendly to the VR world. It is super easy to accidentally delete previous work if you don't save before closing Fusion (Windows update is the bane of productivity and cause of a lot of lost work).

Ted from State of Nevada

A very rewarding program to learn.

Pros

I like this program as it offers many features that can also be seen in programs such as Solidworks. However, Fusion can be acquired for free while Solidworks can cost quite a bit of money. Fusion also has a builtin CAM software so it can generate G-Code straight from the model that can also be designed in the program. Fusion is primarily a CAD program specifically for 3D design and it does a great job at that as well, the models can be easily designed once you get the hang of the program and models can also be easily exported to STL files for 3D printing later.

Cons

The program has a mild learning curve as the main concept of it is to first, draw out a 2D sketch and then extrude that into a 3D model, and even though it is a great alternative to Solidworks should Solidworks be a bit too expensive. It lacks a few features that Solidworks does have. However, the program is quite easy to learn from online tutorials and general trial and error.

Silvio from Spaziodati

Quick to learn but very complete

I've been using it mainly for 3D printed prototypes from years now and I will definitely keep using it. It is a great product, thanks!

Pros

Cons

Sometimes it slows down or chrashes when working on heavy files or gives login problems once in a while

Aaron from University of Notre Dame

Free for students and a great tool

Overall, I really like Fusion 360. It has been a very valuable tool for my outside hobbies in 3d printing and cnc cutting. It is by far the best software for small makers.

Pros

Although Fusion 360's user interface is very complex, it is fairly simple to navigate around the software. I really like each function is labeled and paired with a small graphic to visually show what will happen with this tool. Another great part of Fusion 360 is that you get a free version if you are a student with an edu email address.

Cons

Due to its complexity, I find myself constantly hunting for the correct tool while trying to build a 3D model.

Brian from Eudora High School

Fusion 360

I really enjoy Fusion 360, it has let me design projects that have helped further the design process in projects

Pros

Cons

There are some lacking functions that would be nice to have, the workspace is hard to manipulate sometimes and I wish it had a slicer built in

matteo from lania geo ltd

Truly astonishing potential

Excellent and life-changing. I can finally work on my ideas with extreme ease, and immediate results !

Pros

easiness ! Coming from Solidworks this program is literally incredible. If you find hard to work on solidworks, fusion is for you. Massive results in a very short time

Cons

actually nothing, it's all perfect. The online update works in a very good way and it solves many problems, but it could be classified for some a security concern

Karli from Cornell University

Industry: Civil Engineering

Biomedical Engineering Projects

Great if your design is more simple, or if you are an expert in this specific software, and you want to collaborate live with a team on a design. However, compared to Autodesk's other products, this one is lower on my recommendation list.

Pros

Cons

It really is not Autodesk's best product. Inventor and AutoCAD are much easier to use. Though this one is able to be collaborated on live with multiple team members, the design features seem mixed up and sometimes limited.

Erik from Jurman Metrics

Industry: Semiconductors

Well Priced Powerful Software

Fusion has allowed us to view and program based on the sldprt and step files supplied by our customers allowing us to stream line production.

Pros

I enjoy the ease of use and the ability to create drawings from the 3d model files that I generate. Being able to view step and sldprt files is a bonus since most of our customers use these file types.

Cons

When drawing in the create mode it can be sometimes be troublesome to get the shapes that you want. You have to sometimes draw extra lines to get things to work.

Reasons for Choosing Fusion 360

Price wise Fusion was less expensive but had all the features we needed to conduct business. It's was also a simplistic and great product

BobCad V 25 didn't offer the ability to view 3d model files

Chad from Jesco Industries

Taken us to the Next Level

Our ability to chech issues before manufacturing in the design phase.

Pros

This has taken us to the next level in design. The ability to share designs with customers is huge along with being able to work through concepts with them.

Cons

At one point in time it was difficult to get quick answers to questions, they have a much better system to keep in touch with customers.

Fusion 360 a mechanical engineering undergraduate perspective

Fusion 360 is a great software for hobbyist. Its a great software for rapid prototyping and product development. Being a cloud based software is the most extreme advantage.

Pros

designing, engineering and manufacturing all included in one platform. includes CAD, CAM,CAE and PCB into single platform can be used for industry and personal uses with industry standard precision cloud based so can work from anywhere can be used in mac and windows students can obtain free license from autodesk

Cons

without prior CAD knowledge can be very hard to use slow internet connection can make the software lag when using cloud complex design can be a challenge to CPU and fan could have more extension to convert and open in other CAD software

Michael from Computer Software

Excellent modeling program for 3D printing and beyond

I have been able to model and adjust many functional parts. I am pleased with how this software flows in a way that more intuitive to me than other software I have used.

Pros

As a beginner, modeling software can be intimidating. I found Fusion 360 to be the most intuitive of all the software I've tried. Clear tutorials are available on YouTube, and I am constantly surprised by its versatility.

Cons

It can be intimidating at first, but, I have learned to appreciate that fact. If your frame of mind is fear of complexity, this software can be tough to use. But if your frame of mind is an appreciation for the possibilities this software can open for you, then you learn to love it quite quickly.

Gabriel Junqueira from Impermitte Impermebilização

From concept to finished product in one software

With a little patience and the help of the huge online community and tutorials, I can design, test and prepare for production (cnc milling or 3d printing) any part or assembly of parts with precision and confidence. It hugely saves on development time and cost.

Pros

The integrated workflow that covers all the steps in product development, from prototyping to final production, is very powerful. I love how I can simulate force to preview material strain and resistance and have a precise idea of the performance of the final part even before I am done designing it.

Cons

It is very feature rich and powerful, which means it is complex and has a long learning curve

Reasons for Switching to Fusion 360

Google sketchup is good for the beginner 3d CAD designer, which also means it is very limited in its possibilities. It was a good starting point but quickly became insufficient.

Oral from MiniFabrikam

Autodesk Fusion 360 CAD review

It somewhat works slowly on my computer even my PC has sufficient hardware and my internet connection speed is high. Especially when you work on it, the network connection is on. The software needs connect to cloud servers at time intervals and that process keeps software slow. If you want to work faster than you should close the network connection.

Pros

It's a parametric software. That means it is possible that after drawing you could easily change previous parameters according to your current needs. Thus you don't need to draw it from scratch.

Cons

I use it for only 3d modelling. So I don't need any rendering, CNC functioning, sheet metal feature, stress analysing etc. That covers a huge place in my PC. Beside the software gets slow.

Aaron from S3 Solutions

Crazy powerful

Fantastic for 3D modeling parts and other functional-type designs. Not so great for artistic modeling, for that, use Blender.

Pros

Clearly the best 3D design software for engineering-type applications. Insanely powerful parametric modeling. Can handle moving pieces like hinges & working parts, clearances, even stress tests to and simulations to identify weak points in a design.

Cons

Learning curve is a bit steep. Also, since it is cloud based and automatically updates every time you open it, it can be frustrating when they make changes to the UI and those changes are thrust upon you with no option to delay or go back to the old layout.

Great for hobbyists and students

Building my own 3D models for printing which can then be shared via online communities.

Pros

As a hobbyist who likes to "tinker" this software is extremely powerful and the discounted licensing makes it available. With the free hobbyist option I would not be able to justify the price for what I'm doing with it. It's also full featured with this license making it top quality and something I would recommend as a learning to industry platform.

Cons

I can be complex for beginners but thankfully there are many online resources and tutorials available to help with specific features and functionality.

Jordane from University of Technology

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Review of Overall Experience

Pros

On being introduced to the application for designing a school robot, it was very easy to utilize the package on basic terms. It offered tutorials as well as different modes of interface from rookie to expert. Thus as i became more familiar with the application, more and more features became available by switching to more comfortable modes. Enjoyed the mouse and keyboard interaction to maneuver 3d objects in space. Enjoyed the x,y and z references as similar to the AUTOCAD application,

Cons

The blue flashing interface with the 3d object troubled my epileptic condition. Thus i had to obtain glasses to continue using the product. The addition of different colour themes to Fusion 360 would make it near to perfect for a student like me.

Excellent software if you are a 3D designer!

We use Fusion to create 3D designs and do 3D printing we love it!

Pros

It is a great tool has all the options that you can need to create your design, you can import other files from other programs etc. If you need a software to create 3D designs look no more Fusion 360 is all you need.

Cons

If your computer is a bit old or outdated software may lag, but this is not really a Fusion 360 issue. Software works great!

Thomas from Town of Stoneham

Absolutely the most complete CAD/CAM package available

Pros

This program is the most powerful product I have ever used for 3D design. It is on par with AutoCADs other offerings and is available free for most users. It is constantly being updated with new features that only make a great program even better.

Cons

The only issue I have with the software is the learning curve. Watch tutorials on YouTube to get up to speed and you won't regret it.

Korban from University of New Mexico

Amazing Software For All Skill Levels

I use Fusion 360 for nearly all of my 3D design and analysis needs. I like that it has so many features packed into a single application. I can design an assembly and then run a thermal, mechanical strength, and fluid analysis on it. It is the perfect software for any skill level.

Pros

Easy to learn, many tutorials, very powerful, great for hobbyists and 3D printing

Cons

Needs to be signed into an Autodesk account to use

Alex from United States Navy

Great for beginners

Use this daily for many things. Great for jumping in and creating stuff.

Pros

Only takes a few minutes to get you started. Much easier than other software. I was able to get going after just a few tutorials.

Cons

There is a learning curve if you havent used any software like this before but it is much easier than others