Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"Easy to use and very cost effective. I've never actually paid for any of the files I've sent, which has been awesome."
  • icon"Easy, fast, good customer support. Don't know why you are red highlighting this box and not letting me go to the next page."
  • icon"It’s an extremely easy to use file transfer platform. For most people the free account will function for their purposes, and the rates for a higher level of storage are reasonable."
  • icon"It is the biggest pain to get and find. They fact that i have to go hunt it down is insane in a world where it should just be emailed to me."
  • icon"Unless you pay for the upgrade, the files are deleted after a week or so, which has caused problems when the files aren't download right away."
  • icon"Lack of communication, we didn't get any statements/ invoices."

Have you used Hightail and would like to share your experience with others?

All Hightail Reviews

Marianne

Hightail - a business tool I can't live without.

Macylyna

My Review on Hightail

This software has allowed us to securely send large emails.It is easy to use and has a nice user friendly interface.

Pros

One thing that excites me the most about hightail is the security feature it has. With the tool one can protect the file from unwanted third party by having document password that are only accessible by the intended recipient. With the tool one is also able to track email from who, where and when the email was downloaded. Another thing that excites me is the ability to share large files. This is one of the key thing that made us purchase this tool. With it you are able to compress large document and send them easily. The other parties in the receiving end are also able to download it easily and fast.

Cons

I hate that the links shared expires very quickly. The support team is also not interactive.

Josh

Good if using paid plan

I use Hightail every week for delivering assets to clients. The storage side of Hightail is less appealing, in comparison to OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive. I would prefer to exclusively use Hightail for large file sending.

Pros

I really enjoy the simple and fast upload speeds for sending files, which seems to be much faster than other file sending services.

Cons

The file delivery limits make it challenging for sending video assets, which tend to be more than 25GB. Other services are just fine for sending a final deliverable, which are generally <1GB, but to pay a monthly service for file sending, I'd expect there to be an higher cap than 25GB for the Pro version.

June 2022

Good value in file storage and management

Overall this is a great value in fil and project management.

Pros

I like how you can organize projects in various formats to suit the project

Cons

Sometimes, some people can't use the software but that is rare.

Reliable File Sender

This was my go to for high res files and large content to send to outside partners. I no longer use it because IT has proposed a new site.

Pros

This was a minimalist but easy to navigate option for sending larger files that cannot go onto an e-mail via attachment.

Cons

Unfortunately there was a max file size and my company decided they preferred using another option for sending big files. Also, some files would not send, despite receiving confirmation.

Frank

Industry: Law Practice

Reliable Software for Transmission of Large Files

It has been a good and reliable file transfer system

Pros

The software allows for the transfer of large files and groups of files that are too large to send as e-mail attachments. I have found it very reliable.

Cons

It used to be more functional when it was an add-in to Outlook. That no longer works so you have to go to the website, which works, but is more difficult.

Industry: Photography

Hightail makes file transfers easy

Sending files is easy fast and the control I have is great.

Pros

Easily I can send and track files being sent to my clients. I can adjust the time the file is available and get a notification. As to when the files have been downloaded. To me that’s critical.

Cons

I don’t use the project sharing but I should as it adds value.

Brittany

Not much to it.

Over all it does its job. Gives me what I need. My plans.

Pros

Not to much to it I get a bid invite from maybe two General Contractors and I click the documents to have them download.

Cons

Not much to it. No good back ground just simply enough to get what you need done. I only receive bid invites through this system.

Sami

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Customer since 2008

I have been using this tool for 10 years, and have been an early subscriber since the days of yousendit It has changed branding a couple of times but it got better overtime. It is not the only cloud service I use, as I have Dropbox, Skydrive, Box and iCloud accounts. However, the main reason I stick with Hightail is the ability to control access to the files very easily and selectively. In other words, the most critical tool for me is the Express App. Then comes the folder sync, and lastly comes hightail spaces. I know hightail is focusing on boosting hightail spaces and stopped improvements to folders, express and desktop sync, but it would be a mistake to think Hightail Spaces is the reason to stick with this app. As for pricing, I have been grandfathered in an old account on auto renew, so I do not think I would buy Hightail st the current pricing given the competition with the other cloud apps and services.

Pros

Unlimited Storage 25 GB file transfer Password protection Delivery receipts View activity Collaboration with others Set expiry date. Sync folders to desktop Express app Hightail Spaces Perfect tool for desktop collaboration.

Cons

Not intuitive on mobile devices. The tracking app on iPhone and iPad cannot be used to forward files sent earlier from Tracker app, where it used to be possible to do so in yousendit app (the prior brand/software) but hightail rewrote the API and disabled that functionality. While perfect on desktop, on mobile browsers the site does not format correctly within the window and text stays outside viewing area.

Trisha

Stepping Up Provide for Customer Needs

I am teaching classes to students all around the world with Hightail, without ever leaving my desk. No TSA. No hotels. No airport delays. Just high efficiency and productivity.

Pros

When I need to be able to deliver a large file, whether graphic or media, HighTail delivers. Fast. Efficient. Handled. Period.

Cons

When I need to deliver a file to multiple clients, I cannot create a group. I must type in every last email every single time. I have better things to do with my time. There used to be a group option, just like there used to be folder options. I have called. I have written. I have been told "sorry, we can't do that" and "sorry, we don't offer that." Those are not the answers I want. As my clientele grows, Hightail is holding me back. These are simple requests. Either Hightail will prioritize them, or I will be forced to find someone who will. Hope you're listening this time…

Adele

Industry: Business Supplies and Equipment

Excellent Service

I am very happy with it and I have been using it for many years.

Pros

I run a transcription agency and my customers find it very easy to use my uplink, they like that it is a secure service. I like it because lately it has been a very stable platform to use in sending audio files to my colleagues. I also like that it that it shows a record of files having been sent and confirmation of receipt of files.

Cons

I dislike the black background of the website, it is not easy to see, especially on my monitor. It is also a bit muddled. It is difficult to do a search on files having been sent without scrolling down the page. They also used to send out alerts if they had a problem but this has now stopped.

Cheryl

Hightail is superior

great

Pros

I can send large quantities of documents to my client and they do NOT have to sign up for a paid subscription. Super easy to use. I can also send my clients my link where they can easily upload to my account. I also love the easy of use seeing the history and being able to forward previously uploaded files to another person. I have tried dropbox (do not like much) and box (same...do not like much) and find hightail far superior.

Cons

Recently, I have heard feedback from first time hightail users that are my clients that when I send them a link, they are confused with the popups that make it seem like they have to set up an account. I have not verified this but if this is true, then that is definitely a minus.

Reasons for choosing Hightail

Because its original focus was transferring files to and from and their software was optimized for that whereas the other two were more focused on online collaboration so uploads/downloads/history were way more clunky and not user friendly.

Rachel

Industry: Alternative Medicine

Hightail has been supporting my business for years

It solves the problem of sending large audio files to clients, I love it. So simple and easy and no storage my end.

Pros

I love that I can send client audio files ( Readings and recordings of Private Consults) effortlessly via Hightail. It sends me a link that I can send on to clients and use for group recordings multiple times. I love it is so fast and that there is no expiry date.

Cons

It's getting easier for clients to figure out how to download it, some are a bit wary of the technology and I have to repeatedly tell people how to get their file, it maybe could do with clearer instructions for the receiver to download or listen.

Nikki

Satisfied User

Overall easy to use, love it.

Pros

I've been using this software for most of my career. Back when it was yousendit, I find it's a great way to send proofs and get a visual confirmation of receipt and that they are capable of commenting directly onto proofs

Cons

The only complaint I have is that I have a lot of contacts and I can't seem to delete or remove old addresses. That is rather frustrating, but used to it so not a deal breaker. If that was corrected that would be the best!!

Sophia

Safe and Secure

Same Benefits as above, I love love love Hightail

Pros

I love this software because of its ease of use and I can send confidential documents without having to worry about safety. Also, the system itself is Fast and it will store my documents without expiring. I can also send to clients and other personnel in my office who will then be able to mark up documents and leave comments. It is my Favorite Tool!!!

Cons

I honestly have no negative remarks to make:)

Cindy

Love Hightail!

Overall, I've been extremely happy with Hightail. I love that I can upload a series of videos in one place for feedback, and not have to worry about file size. It's fast and easy!

Pros

I'm a video producer and love that I can upload a rough cut, share the link with clients, and solicit feedback all in one place. There are lots of great tools for leaving feedback, such as the ability to draw on the screen.

Cons

Clients are often confused about how to leave feedback at specific points in a video. It doesn't seem to be intuitive that they need to click on the actual screen of the video before typing in their comments. Most just click on the pause button and then type in their comments. As a result, the comments all end up at the beginning of the video, and I have no idea which specific shots they're referring to.

Narrowing of Features and Declining Value

Pros

You can set up a linked folder on your machine that syncs with Hightail. Back in the day (prior to August, 2017) this formed an ideal platform for disseminating content as you could grab download links and include them in your own communications.

Cons

Hightail has recently adopted a typical self-focused millennial mindset of tunnel-visioned genius: focusing on an increasingly narrow range of cool stuff and killing off highly practical features without pausing to think about the spectrum of their users. If the HT people have a favorite way of working, they think that everyone works just like they do. As of the most recent downgrade, it is no longer possible to copy download links for files. If you need to send a business email with multiple download links and other content, you're now out of luck, as the only option is to use Hightail's interface to send an email with one (concealed) link. My needs include the ability to send multiple download links to my dealers and prospective dealers - everything from canned social media content to a range of literature and photos. If, for example, a dealer is setting up a website and needs logos, product shots and text files, I can no longer just send out an email with the links to the files on Hightail. Overnight they have unthinkingly destroyed my once routine means of distributing a huge amount of content to our dealers and prospects across the U.S. In a single, narrow-mined stroke, the value of Hightail to my company has vanished overnight. This was a totally brainless move. I suggest that people look for a better solution.