• Pros

• "Mural is awesome! The thing I love the most about mural is that it allows os to visualized our work and projects in a virtual space, and many people can access it and work from it at the same time. "

• "Ease of use - almost like having a real whiteboard in the room, easy to access by non-members"

• "I like how user friendly and intuitive it is - the power is in getting multiple people on the platform"

• Cons

• "Drawing tools not optimised for sketching but already improved a lot"

• "I dislike helping new users learn how to use it"

• "Like any software, getting people unfamiliar with it to be comfortable collaborating can take some effort."

Browse MURAL Reviews

Daniel from Bedtime for Big Monsters

No other Product Even Comes Close

This tool achieves many problems and is suitable for everyday use, personal use, small groups, and large working groups. Personal Use: visual organization and planning Small Groups: can quickly move ideas into visual representations that make it very easy to share with other people. MURAL's often become the foundation for projects which people come back to time and time again. It is very satisfying to collaborate with colleagues in this way as much of the applications we use day to day are only design for single users. Workshops: MURAL is powerful when put in the hands of a facillitator who can then guide a group of people through experiential learning and discussions which lead to emergent thinking and non-intuitive insights. Visual Documentation: Over the years I have become very proficient as a visual note taker in mural and can listen to speaker or meeting proceed and capture the meeting in a visually engaging way.

Pros

Mural is hands down the most versatile visual communication tool available today. What I love the most is that I can use the tool every day and that its easy enough for most people to get the hang of within a few minutes, allowing anyone to interact in high fidelity.

Cons

The one thing I don't like about Mural is that some people aren't pro users—I wish everyone were =) Also wish that MURALs could be a first class object in GSuite's Drive =)

Noemi from OneHope, Inc

The Sticky Note of the Future: Great way to collect, organize, and share thoughts

At work, I'm known as the sticky note queen. I always have so many thoughts swirling through my head and need a place to keep them, so I've historically used sticky notes. But sticky notes can only get me so far - they literally don't always stick around, I only have room for so many, my work space feels incredibly cluttered because of them , and there's no easy way to show a relationship between/ amongst the thoughts they represent. I love mural because it's a collective dumping of thoughts onto an online platform. I can create processes, show relationships between thoughts, collect others' thoughts, and organize it all together. It's the sticky note brainstorming tool of the future.

Pros

I love that Mural lets me choose the size of my virtual sticky note, adjust the color, and add text to it, because this helps me organize my thoughts and categorize things as I see fit. I feel I have creative control of how I want to organize my thoughts. I also love the options to use shapes and lines to organize thoughts within a larger framework, which takes the sticky note concept a step further. I also really like the voting mechanism - people can vote on ideas (on sticky notes) and are given a certain amount of votes. Other people can't see these votes until voting has ended, which is a great way to reduce bias and have everyone looking at and choosing from the same ideas. As an organization with lots of remote workers, we use Mural often to collaborate in brainstorming on an online platform. It's our go-to.

Cons

The best way to share with specific people seems to be to send them a link, but in terms of sharing for a wide audience, It's not always straightforward to export the mural itself into a report or another document. I usually have to take a screenshot, which can't always capture everything going on within the mural in question because you have to zoom out so much to capture everything.

The digital whiteboard for the 21st century

Mural has helped our organization up the collaborative and interactive quotient to virtual meetings. It functions similarly to a whiteboard, but in the digital space. No more taking pictures of notes and trying to digitize them later. We just work directly in Mural and can even screenshare to see the space developing and growing in real-time. It helps us organize and align our thoughts as a team, while providing an artifact for later reference.

Pros

Mural is the thing you don't think you need and resist paying for or trying because you just don't need one more digital tool in your life and workflow. Until you experience it and realize you were so wrong. It's the one tool you actually can't live without. The concept is simple: a free space to create with a simple range of options (mostly text boxes and post-it notes). Think of it like a digital whiteboard. Then try to imagine life and meetings without a physical whiteboard. Exactly.

Cons

The range of options for what you can add to a Mural is somewhat limited, but that's a key part of its success. Having too many options would be paralyzing. Once you master the basic controls and options, the sky is the limit for what you can do. Lots of templates are available to help you get started or inspire you with what others have done and the Mural team is always offering support and webinars to help you explore the tool more deeply. One thing that has frustrated new users is getting the hang of controls especially if you are using on a computer (mouse vs trackpad controls are a bit different). But that is easily solved if you can get over your initial discomfort and commit to learning something new.

Katherine from IBM

Nice try but RTB is still better

It works, it's better than not having a digital whiteboard product if you have remote teams working together, but it's not the best digital whiteboard product out there.

Pros

I like the concept of a digital whiteboard, and the collaboration tools are on the spot.

Cons

No infinite canvas, wayfinding for rooms is awful, not enough customization for layouts and colors of things. Too restrictive sometimes on what you can create(like creating "areas" in Real Time Board).

Heath from The Jackson Laboratory

Industry: Biotechnology

Nothing else like it!

My organization is new to visual thinking, design thinking and collaborative decision making. Mural has been a powerful driver of cultural change. They are constantly on the leading edge of how you can get more from their model and their platform. If you do any design thinking or want to make decisions transparently and quickly...get Mural now. Its more than whiteboarding - it's about thinking out loud!

Pros

Mural is a powerful collaboration tool that can be mistaken as a "virtual whiteboard". Which it is. But doing any collaborative decision making, doing any kind of design thinking, with remote teams is so much better with Mural than any other collaboration tool (webex, teams, etc).

Cons

Sometimes, for some users, there is a slight learning curve. So make sure for those users who are new to the tool, give them some prep work - create a Playground for them and be very intent on how you lock down the Mural so reduce any confusion they might have.

Reasons for Choosing MURAL

Someone suggested some Microsoft whiteboarding tool and others in IT suggested that WebEx is sufficient. Now that they've used Mural they admit how wrong they were and the Mural has changed how they problem solve and collaborate.

Ashish from Amazon

One of the best tool for remote collaboration

So far the experience has been smooth and rewarding, You don't need to travel to brainstorm ideas quickly with your remote teams or planning​ a project with teams in multiple locations.

Pros

Gone are are the days when you have to be co-located to run a workshop or collaborate with remote product teams, you can now think and collaborate visually anywhere anytime. I love how it mimics the real world experience of brainstorming, project planning or synthesizing the data, a lot of data. It does it all in real time without the needs of the team to be co-located. If you are new to design thinking, they already have the readily available template which can be used to run a workshop or just brainstorm the ideas. It works better on laptops/desktops but the best on touchscreen​ devices. A dream setup would be giant touch screens in all the locations.

Cons

Downloading the date for offline use takes time, It sends download link on registered email id. Time taken for that email to hit your inbox is not consistent, sometimes you get it within seconds and sometimes it takes minutes.

Nathan from Booz Allen

Digital-first collaboration

MURAL brings the whiteboard and the design studio wall online so that I can collaborate with clients and colleagues around the world. Now my entire workflow is in a digital medium, so I can a lot of efficiency that way.

Pros

I love that I can send anyone a link to a MURAL board and within 5 minutes they're totally comfortable using it. Yet beyond its simple on-boarding experience is a lot of flexibility that supports a wide variety of use cases.

Cons

There are some small interaction details reduce elegance: I'm not crazy about how its arrows/lines connect to notes/shapes. And it's hard to have a consistent typographic hierarchy, because text scales with shapes, and there's no other way to control type size.

A must have for remote work!

We use mural all the time. We use it to create timelines for projects, to lead design sessions, to discuss evaluations, and to visualize our work very often. We have created our own templates for activities that we use for project managing and design thinking often. Our team loves it, and we are a huge advocate of using it, specially if you work with a team that is remote.

Pros

Cons

It was hard to learn at first. If you are trying to get a team on board with using Mural, or a new member of the team, it can be very challenging to get them to learn. Specially if you are asking them to lead a full design session or activities that need to take place on the Mural. It takes time to get used to it.

Heidi from My Creative Pursuits, LLC

Mural - the best virtual whiteboard EVER!

Not only is this a wonderful and functional app, but it's beautiful to use. It's as aesthetically pleasing as it is soothing to my designer's need to get my ideas across and organize them. Whether I use it for my own personal notes, sketching, and planning or as a client based project sharing and brainstorm session, it's invaluable.

Pros

This is the most beautiful software/app that I use. With Mural, you can work on your own, and use it as a place to sketch, gather images, make notes, etc. You can then share that with as many people as you like. You can also have realtime meetings within Mural, sharing ideas, working on the "whiteboard" virtually simultaneously and communicating in a very real and visual way regardless of where the participants are in real life.

Cons

It's a little expensive but honestly it's WELL worth it. I use Mural in place of Skype meetings and Zoom meetings at times now. My clients are impressed with the ability to interact visually with both my ideas and myself and have the ability to express their own ideas, as well.

Game Changer for Displayed Thinking

Pros

This software amazes. As a displayed thinking practitioner - I have long awaited the day where paper and pen could finally be matched by digital capability. We are at the dawn of that age. Too often these tools output look like something made in Microsoft Paint. Not the case here. It's elegant is display, intuitive in UX and powerful in import (templates) and export (data) . Integration and side by side use with Office 365 suite seems flawless.

Cons

Integration of stylus based writing is needed. Some other competitors offer the ability to transform one's handwriting into functional text which is lacking here. Having a stylus input option to create a "sticky note" and use your own handwriting would be next level for this product.

Rob from IBM

Mural enables easy digital collaboration from novices to pros

I've been able to grow with mural and explore new worlds of collaboration ... both enhancing face to face workshops and enabling remote collaborators to have equal voices. Support from the mural team to help us explore new ways to effectively collaborate (not just use their software) have been compelling.

Pros

I really appreciate how easy it is to dive in and get started with little complexity or knowledge. Drop some stickies on an empty whiteboard and you're off ... or play with templates, voting, and other advanced features to drive amazing new collaborations that are only possible in the digital world.

Cons

In the past, I have disliked the lack of feature parity between web and mobile versions. That has recently improved.

Michela from Digital Tourism Think Tank

Unique in its kind

In my company we work a lot with design thinking and we create murals for our clients to make them create strategies. This tool has become necessary for our daily work and we could not be happier to be able to create such a good work in so less time, because Mural is so easy to use and intuitive and possibilities are endless.

Pros

Mural is the tool I've always been looking for to visualise concepts and create conceptual maps. But it is not only this, it can be a presentation tool, you can make infographics with it, you can easily and rapidly create artwork that does not need the use of Photoshop or Illustrator. It's the tool everybody should use to present ideas to the customers. What I like most of Mural is the ease of use, the millions of icons you have and can personalise with colour and the fact that you can drag and drop text, links, videos and gifs.

Cons

Few options could be improved to make it even better. For example you cannot decide the size of text therefore when you enlarge text boxes you loose track of the size. There is no option to create simple tables yet, deciding the number of columns and rows. There is no media library so you have to upload every time images instead of choosing from a library or copy and paste them from another mural. Alignment sometimes is not very accurate.

Holly from Cummins Inc

making virtual collaboration more collaborative

I work remotely 75% of the time. Mural enables me to continue hands on collaboration, building alignment with my virtual team members almost as effectively as if we were in person. This has changed the way I collaborate virtually. Now, I cannot work without out!

Lee from IT

Simple - Visual - Powerful

Mural is the most intuitive and creative ideation software I have come across. No idea can hide if you get your organization on-board. There are low barriers to learning the tool so it is an easy sell.

Pros

It's a virtual design studio on your computing device (yeah I said that).

Cons

There have been occasions where I ran out of canvas on multi-day design events. The new, larger ideation space has largely fixed that.

Frank from Niktar.biz

Several years of XP with Mural

Awesome platform for visual collaboration like eg remote sprint sessions, UX artifacts Personal productivity like eg Moodboards

Pros

Canvas style whiteboard in the cloud with the right tools on-board to collaborate in a visual manner. Mural Community to share ideas

Cons

Drawing tools not optimised for sketching but already improved a lot

Michael from Pearson

The new platform for thinking and making, together.

It's transforming the way I work and collaborate

Pros

I love creating, consuming and using templates for remote workshops. It's like doing software design, but with super direct and immediate, authentic feedback.

Cons

I dislike helping new users learn how to use it

Liam from OneHope

A must have for distributed teams!

I have hosted entire multi day design sessions and Sprints with complex activities and it's been amazing.

Pros

It's amazing for facilitating remote meetings and enabling equal participation between people all over the world.

Cons

User management is the stickiest part. You can deactivate people who become inactive so you aren't being billed for them, but Slack has a nice feature that automatically does that and automatically turns them back on. If you deactivate someone, an admin must manually reactivate them upon request. It's a minor admin slowdown, separate from the actual functionality of the collaboration tools.

Animesh from Allstate

Mural is a must have if you are a product Manager/ designer

It’s a brilliant tool. There hasn’t been an experience with mural that has not gone well. Must have !

Pros

Mural is indeed collaborative ! The fact that you can see what the other person around the world is doing, without sharing screen, is amazing ! Mural is that digital whiteboard with free stickies where you could do anything ! And it comes with so many templates !!

Cons

We cannot talk via mural . I’d need another software or tool to do that! Imagine Mural + slack in one !

Regina from Tyburn Academy

Mural is for great collab!

Pros

Cons

the cost. this is great SW, but hard to make a business case to your company depending on the budget - realtime board is a alternative

Michelle from McMaster University

Using Mural as a learning portfolio in education

Pros

We have tried and tested a few different versions of the learning portfolio. Using Mural as a learning portfolio is one of the most effective ways I have found that students can capture their learning and experiences. It is a non-linear way of demonstrating how our learning is multifaceted and interconnected. It allows students to be ultra creative in how they represent and capture their skill acquisition. It is rare that students in science are asked to be creative. Having this creative outlet allows students to express themselves in a different way!

Cons

The zooming in and out can be a bit challenging, but multiple versions get saved in case you wish to go back...

Angela from TransUnion

World's best product

The price of the product is indeed affordable enough for any size of company and also a great intuitive for progressive companies of the world.

Pros

With this amazing application I can easily insert photo, videos and different multimedia files into one specific folder to have an easy access to them. Another feature that is my most favorite is its integration power that enables me to integrate with all the useful applications of my interest in a very unique way.

Cons

For me there is no drawback in it only sometimes the updates give useless errors but otherwise everything is perfectly fine.

Missy from IBM

Wayfinding is a little weird

Pros

The mural.ly team is constantly garnering feedback in order to improve the product. While mural is a great concept to digitize the whiteboard, the execution is solid with room to improve. Great selection of icons and stickers.

Cons

For my peers, I have observed it requires a higher learning curve in order to understand the controls and wayfinding around the board.

Revolutionizes virtual meetings!

Pros

Mural has allowed me (a member of a virtual team) to advance our organization's use of Human-Centered Design techniques without always having to bring the group into an in-person meetings. Because of the savings in cost / time due to virtual work, it more than pays for itself, AND it helps to keep the teams connected and brainstorming together.

Cons

It can take a little while for teams to get used to it and come up to speed on how to use it most effectively.

Deanna from WCCS

Must Have

Awesome experience! Will definitely keep using it. I wish I had known about it sooner.

Pros

Easy to use, especially after attending their free webinars. Game changer for remote meetings / presenting ideas / getting feedback from colleagues. Great for brainstorming and creating mock-ups.

Cons

A little awkward at first - takes some playing around on your own before being comfortable using it as a team.

Best Journey Mapping Tool Around

Pros

I'm using Mural to map our customer journeys and it was so easy to learn right off the bat. I am so impressed by how intuitive the platform is.

Cons

I wish Mural was cheaper :( but it is worth the investment if you will use it regularly.

Great tool for recording sticknotes

We use Mural mostly to record real life sticky note sessions. Much more reliable than taking a photo and allows for editing later.

Pros

Quick and easy to plop down squares, write a note, and rearrange them into affinity groups.

Cons

PDF export needs some help, text gets way too small and PDFs are huge. Export method is really wonky, they email you a link? Commenting system needs help, UI is hard to use, text appears too small.

Eduardo from New World Symphony

Industry: Music

A promising future for digital collaboration

We've increased usage of it during this time of pandemic, and it's really helped push forward certain projects within our organization. It's been a great addition.

Pros

I love seeing the real time comments and movements from other uses collaborating simultaneously within a workspace. Paired with audio, this really is as close to real time collaboration as one can get

Cons

The mobile and tablet usage of this software is very difficult to use. For instance on mobile there is no landscape viewing, only portrait orientation.

Great real-time virtual collab space

Collaborative virtual whiteboards so that remote teams can create freeform visual artefacts to get on the same page, though also useful for documentation of sessions even in co-located teams

Pros

I started using Mural when working with a remote team that already made heavy use of it. I found it incredibly simple to start contributing, but also made note of the depth of optional functionality available. I've started using Mural for other projects even with co-located teams, as it means that all of the documentation from a brainstorming meeting is automatically digitised.

Cons

There is at times confusion around the "scale" of any virtual space - at times there have been hilarious disconnects when we are branching out and creating content in different areas of the canvas only to see one person was super zoomed in while another was zoomed out.

Ross from THE PURSUANT GROUP, INC.

Great tool for remote collaboration

Pros

I work with team members around the country. We use Mural to collaborate and brainstorm ideas using "digital note cards". Everyone can participate easily as if we were all standing around the same whiteboard. Pretty cool.

Cons

The price was more than I was expecting. About half our company is remote, so getting licenses for everyone was an out-of-budget expense. It ends up costing about as much as our annual expense to lease our Macbooks. Seems pricey.

Only tried the trial

Never got to try it fully

Pros

Looks great I really liked that there were so many different ways to organize information. I think this would have worked well for all the different people on my team

Cons

My team decided not to use the software because they didn't want to have to try and remember to keep it updated :(

Makes switching to virtual work much easier!

We just started using Mural to replace some of our in-person work sessions that would be more interactive as we are all working from home, but still trying to move the work forward.

Pros

I have to admit, I was really skeptical, but our first work session using Mural was awesome. The time flew by and it really did feel like people were engaged in a longer working session, even though they we were all virtual. The features are pretty intuitive, although we also did not try to do anything super advanced.

Cons

Even though the interface is very similar to PowerPoint and generally user-friendly, there are a few quirks, such as moving a lot of pieces without moving the mural, that are annoying. It would also be great to be able to change your name without creating an account--it is hard to keep track of things when everyone is an animal icon.

Mark from Sheffield Hallam University

Great digital whiteboard and planning app

Trialled it for delivering workshops and training at a university.

Pros

Really easy to use and very powerful features with deep layers of functionality built in. Feels intuitive and powerful.

Cons

Not much against it from what I've seen so far - the licensing just isn't suitable for the application I would need it for.

Aaron from Streamtime

Great tool for creating a whiteboard of sticky notes and sharing it.

Pros

Super super easy to use with nice on boarding that guides you through the setup process. Easy to share info with your team.

Cons

Sometimes it feels a little over engineered and fiddly to do things, most of the functionality is also available in apples "Preview" app for free so its hard to make the leap to a paid account.

Courtney from MindOpen Learning Strategies

Awesome Brainstorming Tool

Mural has made doing virtual workshops a lot easier, and kept them engaging and fun! I like how there are so many visual options like stickers and icons to help people express ideas.

Pros

Mural makes it easy to brainstorm ideas with a big group - the post-it function is my favorite. I also like how you can "follow" the presenter on the board in case you get lost.

Cons

The lack of video integration is kind of annoying. Having to pull up Zoom or another video app at the same time seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

Connor from Allstate

Functional, and Smart

Mural satisfies nearly all of my needs, and is overall a beautiful product.

Pros

Mural really excels in two different areas - functionality and very smart features. They continue to improve their product with new features in a timely basis, while focusing on customer feedback.

Cons

Mural should continue to roll out new features and improve integration with outside apps in order to live in to the price tag.

Tim from Start With Why - Simon Sinek

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Mural empowers remote teams to run world class virtual workshops.

Pros

Mural is surprisingly easy to use compared to any other digital whiteboard I have used. Its sticky-note forward design makes creating and manipulating ideas a breeze. It enabled our team to do an impactful design sprint remotely. I was amazed.

Cons

Overall my experience has been great with Mural. The pricing feels high for its utility, as its not something I use everyday.