• Pros

• "Mural is awesome! The thing I love the most about mural is that it allows os to visualized our work and projects in a virtual space, and many people can access it and work from it at the same time. "

• "Ease of use - almost like having a real whiteboard in the room, easy to access by non-members"

• "I like how user friendly and intuitive it is - the power is in getting multiple people on the platform"

• Cons

• "Drawing tools not optimised for sketching but already improved a lot"

• "I would like to have more templates to use. An open library would be beneficial to adopt this software easier."

• "I dislike helping new users learn how to use it"

Browse Mural Reviews

Daniel from Bedtime for Big Monsters

No other Product Even Comes Close

This tool achieves many problems and is suitable for everyday use, personal use, small groups, and large working groups. Personal Use: visual organization and planning Small Groups: can quickly move ideas into visual representations that make it very easy to share with other people. MURAL's often become the foundation for projects which people come back to time and time again. It is very satisfying to collaborate with colleagues in this way as much of the applications we use day to day are only design for single users. Workshops: MURAL is powerful when put in the hands of a facillitator who can then guide a group of people through experiential learning and discussions which lead to emergent thinking and non-intuitive insights. Visual Documentation: Over the years I have become very proficient as a visual note taker in mural and can listen to speaker or meeting proceed and capture the meeting in a visually engaging way.

Pros

Mural is hands down the most versatile visual communication tool available today. What I love the most is that I can use the tool every day and that its easy enough for most people to get the hang of within a few minutes, allowing anyone to interact in high fidelity.

Cons

The one thing I don't like about Mural is that some people aren't pro users—I wish everyone were =) Also wish that MURALs could be a first class object in GSuite's Drive =)

Andrew from HPE

Industry: Computer Hardware

An excellent team collaboration and brainstorming platform

Despite some of the functionality having an additional learning curve, Mural serves as an excellent way for remote teams (and even teams just wanting a more 'digital' brainstorming experience) to collaborate.

Pros

I love how easy Mural makes the process of visual 'mind-mapping' among remote co-workers. If we want to do an exercise, for example, that requires virtual 'sticky-notes' for brainstorming process improvements, Mural facilitates this process seamlessly.

Cons

Mural does take a little time to get up to speed on using it. You can definitely jump right in on some of the basic features, but to use some of its more advanced features (keyboard shortcuts, for example), it will take some time to learn them.

Reasons for Switching to Mural

Cost - For the limited use that we were planning on using it, Miro's price would not have been justified.

Kalavati from Thoughtworks

Great Platform for Effective Collaboration

Pros

1) Ready to use templates (Business, retro) 2) No need to register 3) Easy to use 4) Helpful customer support

Cons

UI has room for improvisation The current UI looks clutter Need to motivate folks to use Mural

Reasons for Switching to Mural

Trello's UI is best

Good, can be hard to access at the beginning

I use it for workshop facilitation

Pros

Best feature is the outline function which allows you to create steps into the MURAL

Cons

Commands are not intuitive Sticky notes are always the same size shapes can be a bit unflexible

Reasons for Choosing Mural

It was already being used in my organisation.

Noemi from OneHope, Inc

Perfect way to keep people engaged

Overall, mural is an excellent tool for brainstorming, getting work done, and documenting it. It allows us to think creatively and even offers templates/ existing structures for us to do this. The only thing is that people perceive it to be difficult to use at first blush, and they often write it off as too complicated .

Pros

Mural is very intuitive and helps organize thoughts. I love the sticky note features and that you can drag them anywhere, I love that you can zoom in on different parts of the mural and that there are templates, and I love that it allows everyone to create and produce work together in one place , in real time.

Cons

For some reason, people who haven't been on the platform and who are introduced to it have a really hard time onboarding. It seems like the learning curve is really steep for them, and this makes it so that some people are less willing to participate in mural during meetings, and honestly they're intimidated by it. inexperienced mural users often accidentally pick things up and drag them and can mess up work, which makes the experience worse. Internet connectivity issues can also severely affect the use of mural in real time meetings, which has led to some pushback from our team. Those who prefer not to use mural say it's 'too complicated'. Which is really a shame because it 's a great tool, if just overwhelming for newbies.

Ashish from Amazon

One of the best tool for remote collaboration

So far the experience has been smooth and rewarding, You don't need to travel to brainstorm ideas quickly with your remote teams or planning​ a project with teams in multiple locations.

Pros

Gone are are the days when you have to be co-located to run a workshop or collaborate with remote product teams, you can now think and collaborate visually anywhere anytime. I love how it mimics the real world experience of brainstorming, project planning or synthesizing the data, a lot of data. It does it all in real time without the needs of the team to be co-located. If you are new to design thinking, they already have the readily available template which can be used to run a workshop or just brainstorm the ideas. It works better on laptops/desktops but the best on touchscreen​ devices. A dream setup would be giant touch screens in all the locations.

Cons

Downloading the date for offline use takes time, It sends download link on registered email id. Time taken for that email to hit your inbox is not consistent, sometimes you get it within seconds and sometimes it takes minutes.

Özen from Turkish Petroleum Refineries Co.

Industry: Oil & Energy

Makes Online Meetings More Effective

Before Mural, longer online workshops were not effective. Many attendees were losing their focus and the meetings were transforming into inefficient gathering activities. With Mural, we keep all attendees alive and interactive. You can reach working canvas where ever you are and especially voting feature makes easier to get mutual decisions in a democratic environment.

Pros

It allows all participants to work together and collaboratively at the same time. It is easy to use

Divya from Google

Great for Collaboration

Collaboration. It is great for workshops and sprints. The fact that everyone can see and work on it at the same time is great, especially during remote work

Pros

The main value of this software is the collaboration aspect. I love that I can bring people together regardless of their tech fluency and with one icebreaker activity, I can get them to use the main functions they will need for the next few hours. The double click for post-its, the "follow me" function, are great. I love that you can paste a URL and it shows a thumbnail of the article.

Cons

Unless you have certain permissions, it is difficult to change your name. It was random that some people had Avatar names like "Visiting Sheep" and others "Ryan (Visiting Squid)". People were confused why it was not changeable, even though the UI allows you to write before you enter the room. But then it doesn't reflect. It is also difficult to zoom into certain post its if they are outside the main board but on the same screen. Zoom functionality is weird.

Faye from Gobeyond Partners

Drive decision making and engage your audience

Pros

I’ve used Mural for over 2 years now to run remote workshops with groups of up to 15 participants. My clients really love it! The best thing about it in my view is that you can build from independent work to group exercises and discussions and using brainstorming and the voting tool to drive decision making and action. I also like that you can invite people to collaborate with you without them having to pay for membership. I’m the Mural expert at my organisation, I’ve created a short course covering all the things people typically want to know about using the tool all Ng with some best practice tips: [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]

Cons

The only thing that used to bug me about Mural was the fact that you couldn’t identify participants who joined as visitors (one time collaborators appear as anonymous animals). I noticed recently that visitors can now add their name which is really useful.I expect this change came from Mural user feedback, they do seem to develop the features over time.

Heidi from My Creative Pursuits, LLC

Mural - the best virtual whiteboard EVER!

Not only is this a wonderful and functional app, but it's beautiful to use. It's as aesthetically pleasing as it is soothing to my designer's need to get my ideas across and organize them. Whether I use it for my own personal notes, sketching, and planning or as a client based project sharing and brainstorm session, it's invaluable.

Pros

This is the most beautiful software/app that I use. With Mural, you can work on your own, and use it as a place to sketch, gather images, make notes, etc. You can then share that with as many people as you like. You can also have realtime meetings within Mural, sharing ideas, working on the "whiteboard" virtually simultaneously and communicating in a very real and visual way regardless of where the participants are in real life.

Cons

It's a little expensive but honestly it's WELL worth it. I use Mural in place of Skype meetings and Zoom meetings at times now. My clients are impressed with the ability to interact visually with both my ideas and myself and have the ability to express their own ideas, as well.

Gianluca from Dos Design

A great tool with some improvement needed

Mural is a great tool, generally speaking I am happy with it. It misses some feature (sometimes basic ones) that would make our work easier and faster especially in the configuration of new murals and organization of large rooms.

Pros

As a designer I use Mural daily to run co-design workshop with dozens of people. The simplicity of the tool makes it easy to understand and use even for people that are not much into technology. A couple of features I particularly appreciate are the content library (even though should be improved) and the possibility to multiple templates from different companies. Also che call feature looks interesting even though I never used it so far.

Cons

There are things that needs improvement fast. I'll list a few. 1. Rooms should allow to sort murals in alphabetical order and to have a simple list visualization. Also names should not be cut like they are now (the only way to see the full name is via the tooltip) 2. Rooms and archive in my opinion are not enough to organize murals. It would be way better to have rooms and then the possibility to organize murals in folders inside a room. 3. It should be much easier to change the room/mural permissions. We often have sessions with dozens of people but only a few of them should have the possibility to edit. At the moment there is no bulk way to change the view only/edit permission 4. Grouping elements inside a mural should be enhanced. At the moment you cannot have a group of groups and that makes it harder to keep a logical architecture of the elements in a mural 5. At the moment there is no specific feature to create schemes or diagrams. We really would love that. 6. It would be much easier sometimes to have the possibility to specify the object size manually. 7. Content library needs to be improved to be really useful. Elements needs folders for a better organization.

Reasons for Choosing Mural

When we initially purchased Mural we were not aware of other alternatives. Over time we considered Mirò but Mural gave us the impression to be more solid.

Noemi from OneHope, Inc

The Sticky Note of the Future: Great way to collect, organize, and share thoughts

At work, I'm known as the sticky note queen. I always have so many thoughts swirling through my head and need a place to keep them, so I've historically used sticky notes. But sticky notes can only get me so far - they literally don't always stick around, I only have room for so many, my work space feels incredibly cluttered because of them , and there's no easy way to show a relationship between/ amongst the thoughts they represent. I love mural because it's a collective dumping of thoughts onto an online platform. I can create processes, show relationships between thoughts, collect others' thoughts, and organize it all together. It's the sticky note brainstorming tool of the future.

Pros

I love that Mural lets me choose the size of my virtual sticky note, adjust the color, and add text to it, because this helps me organize my thoughts and categorize things as I see fit. I feel I have creative control of how I want to organize my thoughts. I also love the options to use shapes and lines to organize thoughts within a larger framework, which takes the sticky note concept a step further. I also really like the voting mechanism - people can vote on ideas (on sticky notes) and are given a certain amount of votes. Other people can't see these votes until voting has ended, which is a great way to reduce bias and have everyone looking at and choosing from the same ideas. As an organization with lots of remote workers, we use Mural often to collaborate in brainstorming on an online platform. It's our go-to.

Cons

The best way to share with specific people seems to be to send them a link, but in terms of sharing for a wide audience, It's not always straightforward to export the mural itself into a report or another document. I usually have to take a screenshot, which can't always capture everything going on within the mural in question because you have to zoom out so much to capture everything.

Heath from The Jackson Laboratory

Industry: Biotechnology

Nothing else like it!

My organization is new to visual thinking, design thinking and collaborative decision making. Mural has been a powerful driver of cultural change. They are constantly on the leading edge of how you can get more from their model and their platform. If you do any design thinking or want to make decisions transparently and quickly...get Mural now. Its more than whiteboarding - it's about thinking out loud!

Pros

Mural is a powerful collaboration tool that can be mistaken as a "virtual whiteboard". Which it is. But doing any collaborative decision making, doing any kind of design thinking, with remote teams is so much better with Mural than any other collaboration tool (webex, teams, etc).

Cons

Sometimes, for some users, there is a slight learning curve. So make sure for those users who are new to the tool, give them some prep work - create a Playground for them and be very intent on how you lock down the Mural so reduce any confusion they might have.

Reasons for Choosing Mural

Someone suggested some Microsoft whiteboarding tool and others in IT suggested that WebEx is sufficient. Now that they've used Mural they admit how wrong they were and the Mural has changed how they problem solve and collaborate.

The digital whiteboard for the 21st century

Mural has helped our organization up the collaborative and interactive quotient to virtual meetings. It functions similarly to a whiteboard, but in the digital space. No more taking pictures of notes and trying to digitize them later. We just work directly in Mural and can even screenshare to see the space developing and growing in real-time. It helps us organize and align our thoughts as a team, while providing an artifact for later reference.

Pros

Mural is the thing you don't think you need and resist paying for or trying because you just don't need one more digital tool in your life and workflow. Until you experience it and realize you were so wrong. It's the one tool you actually can't live without. The concept is simple: a free space to create with a simple range of options (mostly text boxes and post-it notes). Think of it like a digital whiteboard. Then try to imagine life and meetings without a physical whiteboard. Exactly.

Cons

The range of options for what you can add to a Mural is somewhat limited, but that's a key part of its success. Having too many options would be paralyzing. Once you master the basic controls and options, the sky is the limit for what you can do. Lots of templates are available to help you get started or inspire you with what others have done and the Mural team is always offering support and webinars to help you explore the tool more deeply. One thing that has frustrated new users is getting the hang of controls especially if you are using on a computer (mouse vs trackpad controls are a bit different). But that is easily solved if you can get over your initial discomfort and commit to learning something new.

Nathan from Booz Allen

Digital-first collaboration

MURAL brings the whiteboard and the design studio wall online so that I can collaborate with clients and colleagues around the world. Now my entire workflow is in a digital medium, so I can a lot of efficiency that way.

Pros

I love that I can send anyone a link to a MURAL board and within 5 minutes they're totally comfortable using it. Yet beyond its simple on-boarding experience is a lot of flexibility that supports a wide variety of use cases.

Cons

There are some small interaction details reduce elegance: I'm not crazy about how its arrows/lines connect to notes/shapes. And it's hard to have a consistent typographic hierarchy, because text scales with shapes, and there's no other way to control type size.

Rob from IBM

Mural enables easy digital collaboration from novices to pros

I've been able to grow with mural and explore new worlds of collaboration ... both enhancing face to face workshops and enabling remote collaborators to have equal voices. Support from the mural team to help us explore new ways to effectively collaborate (not just use their software) have been compelling.

Pros

I really appreciate how easy it is to dive in and get started with little complexity or knowledge. Drop some stickies on an empty whiteboard and you're off ... or play with templates, voting, and other advanced features to drive amazing new collaborations that are only possible in the digital world.

Cons

In the past, I have disliked the lack of feature parity between web and mobile versions. That has recently improved.

Michela from Digital Tourism Think Tank

Unique in its kind

In my company we work a lot with design thinking and we create murals for our clients to make them create strategies. This tool has become necessary for our daily work and we could not be happier to be able to create such a good work in so less time, because Mural is so easy to use and intuitive and possibilities are endless.

Pros

Mural is the tool I've always been looking for to visualise concepts and create conceptual maps. But it is not only this, it can be a presentation tool, you can make infographics with it, you can easily and rapidly create artwork that does not need the use of Photoshop or Illustrator. It's the tool everybody should use to present ideas to the customers. What I like most of Mural is the ease of use, the millions of icons you have and can personalise with colour and the fact that you can drag and drop text, links, videos and gifs.

Cons

Few options could be improved to make it even better. For example you cannot decide the size of text therefore when you enlarge text boxes you loose track of the size. There is no option to create simple tables yet, deciding the number of columns and rows. There is no media library so you have to upload every time images instead of choosing from a library or copy and paste them from another mural. Alignment sometimes is not very accurate.

A must have for remote work!

We use mural all the time. We use it to create timelines for projects, to lead design sessions, to discuss evaluations, and to visualize our work very often. We have created our own templates for activities that we use for project managing and design thinking often. Our team loves it, and we are a huge advocate of using it, specially if you work with a team that is remote.

Pros

Cons

It was hard to learn at first. If you are trying to get a team on board with using Mural, or a new member of the team, it can be very challenging to get them to learn. Specially if you are asking them to lead a full design session or activities that need to take place on the Mural. It takes time to get used to it.

Holly from Cummins Inc

making virtual collaboration more collaborative

I work remotely 75% of the time. Mural enables me to continue hands on collaboration, building alignment with my virtual team members almost as effectively as if we were in person. This has changed the way I collaborate virtually. Now, I cannot work without out!

Pros

Cons

Like any software, getting people unfamiliar with it to be comfortable collaborating can take some effort.

Lee from IT

Simple - Visual - Powerful

Mural is the most intuitive and creative ideation software I have come across. No idea can hide if you get your organization on-board. There are low barriers to learning the tool so it is an easy sell.

Pros

It's a virtual design studio on your computing device (yeah I said that).

Cons

There have been occasions where I ran out of canvas on multi-day design events. The new, larger ideation space has largely fixed that.

Frank from Niktar.biz

Several years of XP with Mural

Awesome platform for visual collaboration like eg remote sprint sessions, UX artifacts Personal productivity like eg Moodboards

Pros

Canvas style whiteboard in the cloud with the right tools on-board to collaborate in a visual manner. Mural Community to share ideas

Cons

Drawing tools not optimised for sketching but already improved a lot

Game Changer for Displayed Thinking

Pros

This software amazes. As a displayed thinking practitioner - I have long awaited the day where paper and pen could finally be matched by digital capability. We are at the dawn of that age. Too often these tools output look like something made in Microsoft Paint. Not the case here. It's elegant is display, intuitive in UX and powerful in import (templates) and export (data) . Integration and side by side use with Office 365 suite seems flawless.

Cons

Integration of stylus based writing is needed. Some other competitors offer the ability to transform one's handwriting into functional text which is lacking here. Having a stylus input option to create a "sticky note" and use your own handwriting would be next level for this product.

Michael from Pearson

The new platform for thinking and making, together.

It's transforming the way I work and collaborate

Pros

I love creating, consuming and using templates for remote workshops. It's like doing software design, but with super direct and immediate, authentic feedback.

Cons

I dislike helping new users learn how to use it

Liam from OneHope

A must have for distributed teams!

I have hosted entire multi day design sessions and Sprints with complex activities and it's been amazing.

Pros

It's amazing for facilitating remote meetings and enabling equal participation between people all over the world.

Cons

User management is the stickiest part. You can deactivate people who become inactive so you aren't being billed for them, but Slack has a nice feature that automatically does that and automatically turns them back on. If you deactivate someone, an admin must manually reactivate them upon request. It's a minor admin slowdown, separate from the actual functionality of the collaboration tools.

Amazing tool for arranging complex info

This is a foundational tool for us for capturing any postit note exercise or workshop session.

Pros

This tool allows teams to take the complicated, organically generated, unsorted data that can come out of brainstorming or workshops and arrange it into something meaningful. It creates a standard language for teams to express this info. It's quick to learn and easy to use, and allows for the right type of expression for any info set.

Cons

Administrating a team could be done better. It's too easy to invite more team members than your plan pays for. This is because the button to share a mural to an email address (which adds a team member) is easier to get to than the link to share anonymously. Fortunately there is a 30 day grace period for these mistakes.

Animesh from Allstate

Mural is a must have if you are a product Manager/ designer

It’s a brilliant tool. There hasn’t been an experience with mural that has not gone well. Must have !

Pros

Mural is indeed collaborative ! The fact that you can see what the other person around the world is doing, without sharing screen, is amazing ! Mural is that digital whiteboard with free stickies where you could do anything ! And it comes with so many templates !!

Cons

We cannot talk via mural . I’d need another software or tool to do that! Imagine Mural + slack in one !

Yaxi from Acoustic

Great white boarding tool for virtual collaboration

Mural has been especially great tool to use during user interviews and workshops where you want to engage everyone and get feedback and ideas from every individual in the group.

Pros

Mural has been great especially for brainstorming and collaborative activities during covid and with non co-located teams. It’s an intuitively designed easy to use virtual whiteboarding tool that comes with templates that you can use for exercises that you might want to run. Particularly great for usage for design thinking sessions or activities where you want everyone to participate.

Cons

It does take a few uses to get used to how the tool works and the zooming in and out functionality doesn’t always work as you want it to. It can be hard to know what size sticky notes you should use. But after a few tries it gets pretty easy to use.

Claudia from JP Morgan

Great collaboration tool

Once you use regularly you will find it is a product that is constantly involving and that they are learning from their users and thinking about how they can improve the product. I think it is a tool worth trying.

Pros

Mural is a great tool for agile teams that work remotely, we´ve started using it in this context of COVID-19 and it helps us overcome the challenges of not being able to work and communicate face to face. I love the concept of having the free space to create and share ideas in real time.

Cons

It might take some time to get used to the tool and to understand this is not a replacement for a real whiteboard, this is something different. Some of the people from my team were really exited when interacting at the first time but some of them weren´t so as a leader may be hard to get everyone on board.

Regina from Tyburn Academy

Mural is for great collab!

Pros

Cons

the cost. this is great SW, but hard to make a business case to your company depending on the budget - realtime board is a alternative

Angela from TransUnion

World's best product

The price of the product is indeed affordable enough for any size of company and also a great intuitive for progressive companies of the world.

Pros

With this amazing application I can easily insert photo, videos and different multimedia files into one specific folder to have an easy access to them. Another feature that is my most favorite is its integration power that enables me to integrate with all the useful applications of my interest in a very unique way.

Cons

For me there is no drawback in it only sometimes the updates give useless errors but otherwise everything is perfectly fine.

Michelle from McMaster University

Using Mural as a learning portfolio in education

Pros

We have tried and tested a few different versions of the learning portfolio. Using Mural as a learning portfolio is one of the most effective ways I have found that students can capture their learning and experiences. It is a non-linear way of demonstrating how our learning is multifaceted and interconnected. It allows students to be ultra creative in how they represent and capture their skill acquisition. It is rare that students in science are asked to be creative. Having this creative outlet allows students to express themselves in a different way!

Cons

The zooming in and out can be a bit challenging, but multiple versions get saved in case you wish to go back...

Missy from IBM

Wayfinding is a little weird

Pros

The mural.ly team is constantly garnering feedback in order to improve the product. While mural is a great concept to digitize the whiteboard, the execution is solid with room to improve. Great selection of icons and stickers.

Cons

For my peers, I have observed it requires a higher learning curve in order to understand the controls and wayfinding around the board.

Great for training purposes!

It is a great experience with this tool, I've participated in a lot of trainings and meetings where this tool is used, and sessions always become very proactive among the participants.

Pros

The way we can interact everyone at the same time in one single view. I like the way it can be used for training purposes and keep the collaborative environment, specially for virtual trainings or meetings if you are in a call, the Mural can be used to interact a lot in a visual way.

Cons

The price. Personally I see the price a little bit expensive for a single person (for example, for an entrepeneur), but I think is a company buys a license I think the company will see the price affordable.

Patrick from TriComB2B

It's been particularly handy through 2020's remote work

Especially given the high amounts of remote work happening right now, it's been a very valuable tool to replace our traditional meeting room's whiteboards when we're doing things like planning out wireframes and architecture for our websites and digital tools. It's been a staple in very many meetings that would not have gone so smoothly or collaboratively without Mural. Highly recommended!

Pros

I love the intuitive nature of the tool. The interface is super clean, and it works primarily through simple drag-and-drop. It took me all of a matter of 5 minutes to feel like I knew the tool. Of course, you can then star to dig deeper, left to discover various templates to assist you with various kinds of meetings and board demands.

Cons

There's really not much to not like. The pricing plan is easy to understand, and it is competitive compared to the other tools we looked at. I've also had coworkers and clients with varying levels of technical expertise working in it with no issues. There's even a trial you can sign up for to make sure it is what you are looking for.

Revolutionizes virtual meetings!

Pros

Mural has allowed me (a member of a virtual team) to advance our organization's use of Human-Centered Design techniques without always having to bring the group into an in-person meetings. Because of the savings in cost / time due to virtual work, it more than pays for itself, AND it helps to keep the teams connected and brainstorming together.

Cons

It can take a little while for teams to get used to it and come up to speed on how to use it most effectively.

Monisha from BrandVerity

Great tool for cross-team meetings between engineering/business facing departments

Really instrumental to one of our recent product feature launches (I work for a SaaS company), and definitely helped unite all the teams working on the initiative.

Pros

Especially during Covid-19 remote work, this tool has been really valuable in giving the feel of "whiteboarding" that you would get from in-person meetings, only virtually. It enables everyone to contribute and makes meetings more interactive. In my personal experience, it's been a great way to unite our Customer Success / Product / Developer teams for new feature launch plans so that everyone has visibility into next steps for the project, as well as a means of providing feedback.

Cons

While I really like the zoom-in function (our team used it to "privately" write feedback suggestions in our own "space" by zooming in during a meeting, after which everything was compiled) it can be a little disorienting / easy to zoom too far in and get lost in the sheet. Very very minor suggestion.

Deanna from WCCS

Must Have

Awesome experience! Will definitely keep using it. I wish I had known about it sooner.

Pros

Easy to use, especially after attending their free webinars. Game changer for remote meetings / presenting ideas / getting feedback from colleagues. Great for brainstorming and creating mock-ups.

Cons

A little awkward at first - takes some playing around on your own before being comfortable using it as a team.

Gabrielle from University

Very versatile

We have used this in the recent virtual switch due to COVID, and it has come in incredibly handy. We are able to present student work like we would in person, and have faculty critique it.

Pros

I like that your project can be shared with non-users, and it works well for collaborative student projects. The students can see what their peers are doing, and work together.

Cons

It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you play around with it a bit, it’s not hard at all. The mural team was always standing by if I had questions or needed assistance.

Brittany from LBGMedia

Mural is *the place* for collaboration

I love it. It has always helped my clients in numerous ways.

Pros

For all of my creative brainstormers, Mural is the place to kick off new and existing product development. I love that Mural offers different templates for people to get started from where they are. The templates help those with a learning curve move quicker, and then that SME is able to help the team start using the software and not feel intimidated.

Cons

I can't think of a single thing I dislike about Mural. It's easy, efficient, and has been around for a long time.

Powerful online visual collaboration tool

Mural is a helpful tool to support co-creation, workshops and design thinking sessions when working remotely. We used it more during lockdown in place of face-to-face sessions.

Pros

Relatively easy to use, with a rich feature set and several useful tools to collaborate visually. Interface is fully accessible via browser, which makes it very portable across platforms, and of course mobile apps are also available.

Cons

Not as streamlined or easy to learn as direct competitor Miro, so it requires some facilitated onboarding to new users in order to get the most from its features. Sometimes the web visualization gets stuck or shows blank boards where they should have content, but a quick page refresh generally fixes it.

Very good for workshops

It's very good for hearing ideas of the different members of a team.

Pros

I really like the option of using sticky notes. You can change the size very easily and use different colors.

Cons

The zoom option it's difficult to find, it should be more visible. It's easy to get confused between the add collaborators button and the zoom in button.

Yves Gabriel from IBM

Staying Agile Remotely and Efficiently

We solve problems regarding the process and what is needed for improvements. I realized that having an online agile board really helped out the team in terms of collaboration since we really can't do much and discuss problems we are currently facing due to the pandemic, with Mural it's very easy.

Pros

The templates that are widely available in Mural are very functional and intuitive. Our team was able to adapt to the new normal of working from home thanks to Mural's agile boards/kanban boards to discuss our day to day tasks.

Cons

It can take quite some time to get used to. The sticky notes are a hit or miss sometimes since by default when you put in a note the sizing is very small. The overall symmetry and look of Mural could use some work so that it can be much more organized

Best Journey Mapping Tool Around

Pros

I'm using Mural to map our customer journeys and it was so easy to learn right off the bat. I am so impressed by how intuitive the platform is.

Cons

I wish Mural was cheaper :( but it is worth the investment if you will use it regularly.

Eduardo from New World Symphony

Industry: Music

A promising future for digital collaboration

We've increased usage of it during this time of pandemic, and it's really helped push forward certain projects within our organization. It's been a great addition.

Pros

I love seeing the real time comments and movements from other uses collaborating simultaneously within a workspace. Paired with audio, this really is as close to real time collaboration as one can get

Cons

The mobile and tablet usage of this software is very difficult to use. For instance on mobile there is no landscape viewing, only portrait orientation.

Makes switching to virtual work much easier!

We just started using Mural to replace some of our in-person work sessions that would be more interactive as we are all working from home, but still trying to move the work forward.

Pros

I have to admit, I was really skeptical, but our first work session using Mural was awesome. The time flew by and it really did feel like people were engaged in a longer working session, even though they we were all virtual. The features are pretty intuitive, although we also did not try to do anything super advanced.

Cons

Even though the interface is very similar to PowerPoint and generally user-friendly, there are a few quirks, such as moving a lot of pieces without moving the mural, that are annoying. It would also be great to be able to change your name without creating an account--it is hard to keep track of things when everyone is an animal icon.

Mark from Sheffield Hallam University

Great digital whiteboard and planning app

Trialled it for delivering workshops and training at a university.

Pros

Really easy to use and very powerful features with deep layers of functionality built in. Feels intuitive and powerful.

Cons

Not much against it from what I've seen so far - the licensing just isn't suitable for the application I would need it for.

Great real-time virtual collab space

Collaborative virtual whiteboards so that remote teams can create freeform visual artefacts to get on the same page, though also useful for documentation of sessions even in co-located teams

Pros

I started using Mural when working with a remote team that already made heavy use of it. I found it incredibly simple to start contributing, but also made note of the depth of optional functionality available. I've started using Mural for other projects even with co-located teams, as it means that all of the documentation from a brainstorming meeting is automatically digitised.

Cons

There is at times confusion around the "scale" of any virtual space - at times there have been hilarious disconnects when we are branching out and creating content in different areas of the canvas only to see one person was super zoomed in while another was zoomed out.

Ross from THE PURSUANT GROUP, INC.

Great tool for remote collaboration

Pros

I work with team members around the country. We use Mural to collaborate and brainstorm ideas using "digital note cards". Everyone can participate easily as if we were all standing around the same whiteboard. Pretty cool.

Cons

The price was more than I was expecting. About half our company is remote, so getting licenses for everyone was an out-of-budget expense. It ends up costing about as much as our annual expense to lease our Macbooks. Seems pricey.

Only tried the trial

Never got to try it fully

Pros

Looks great I really liked that there were so many different ways to organize information. I think this would have worked well for all the different people on my team

Cons

My team decided not to use the software because they didn't want to have to try and remember to keep it updated :(

Daniel from World Vision International

Great tool for virtual, large flipchart work

Great for working with large groups on issues that can be broken down into different parts, i.e. on process maps.

Pros

Compared to some other virtual flipcharts, this one allows for big picture work, i.e. you can work across a very large workspace, with different groups working on different corners, and then zooming around.

Cons

Some of the dragging items around was fiddly, and had limited shapes to add to the flipchart.