• icon"His work is built on the principle of discussion - for each task, the service creates a separate chat, in which a colleague invites team members. Discussions can be divided into channels."
  • icon"When it comes to the platform itself, my favorite feature is the Integrations that are available in Twist – one in particular: the Team Check-In."
  • icon"Twist is easy to set up and to understand. Channels are open to all team members by default."
  • icon"It's not the easiest tool to grasp an idea on, it takes time to adjust your brain from real time communication to this threaded version."
  • icon"I'm used to Slack and frankly, threads were confusing sometimes."
  • icon"Lack of integration into any other systems (I would rather they focus on integrating with Slack than trying to replace it.) Very poor editing tools. It's really hard to format anything in a post."

Browse all Twist Reviews

• Have you used Twist and would like to share your experience with others?

Yann

Industry: Online Media

An excellent digital tool for asynchronous team communication

Pros

The one thing I'd like to mention, which isn't about a feature itself but more about a company philosophy (or, at least, it appears so), is Twist's emphasis on asynchronous, so on communication that doesn't happen at the same time. When it comes to the platform itself, my favorite feature is the Integrations that are available in Twist – one in particular: the Team Check-In. With the Team Check-In feature, you can create specific automated and recurring posts being published on Twist. This is powerful, especially if you're thinking about hosting a weekly standup meeting with the members of your team, you could use the automated Team Check-In coming into the picture and then have other members interact with something that was shared as part of the Team Check-In Automation.

Cons

I personally think that Twist is a very valuable tool for team communication, especially for the asynchronous. However, there's one feature I feel could be improved: the ability to navigate different threads. Finding a specific word, sentence or piece of advice you shared somewhere on Twist should be something that's found quickly and easily – but, unfortunately, that isn't often the case.

Asynchronous chat

The whole team loved it because now instead of being distracted every time someone sends a message in some channel, people could finally spend time doing productive work and checking their email and Twist notifications when they want.

Pros

Threaded conversations are a killer feature. It's not a Slack-type thread where you can easily get lost, especially when trying to keep up with more than one thread. Twist threads resemble forum where you open or subscribe to topics and participate in meaningful conversations. Another feature I absolutely love is selecting people to notify when creating a new thread. It makes you consider who this message is important to before sending unlike with other messengers where everyone gets notified unless they mute the whole channel.

Cons

When we migrated from Twist alternative that was "noisier" and synchronous, we had a separate channel with real-time status updates from our CI server, uptime notifications, and real-time errors. This was a bit hard to do with Twist since it wasn't meant for that.

Reasons for switching to Twist

We got tired of never-ending notifications and the urge to participate in real-time conversations. It was notification anxiety.

Yannick

Industry: Music

A great solution for (asynchronous) team communication

My experience with Twist has been a good one, and it's a tool I have been using on a weekly basis for a couple of different projects and in some different contexts.

Pros

I had tried different team communication platforms before I stumbled across Twist. The one thing that initially stood out for me was the fact that the emphasis wasn't on team communication, rather on ASYNCHRONOUS team communication. That was huge because, when thinking about it, most of the communication I typically have isn't in real time (unless I'm on a call), so there wouldn't really be any need for all the "sea of notifications" I would receive when using other platforms. In my opinion, Twist may not have all the bell and whistles of other some of its competitors, but it excels at making sure that teams can easily communicate in a centralized place. And it does so through a clean interface and a Channel-Thread-Message concept that, if you're used any team communication platform before, you should be familiar with. The smartphone app is a nice plus to have, and the ability to leverage additional features (I'm a fan of the Team Check-In), as well as other third-party tools like Zoom, Skype, Trello and Google Drive is huge.

Cons

There isn't really much I don't like about Twist, so if I had to really thinking about and mention one thing I'm not crazy about it would be the lack of a native, built-in, audio and video communication feature (like platforms like Slack and Chanty have). True, you can connect Twist to something like Zoom or Skype, but in some cases you might want to be able to talk through audio or video without having to rely on another application.

Wanted a Slack alternative, but couldn't find it here.

Not many. It did help me realize just how ingrained Slack has become in our company, for better or for worse.

Pros

The design is pretty clean, and the app definitely feels focused down to purely communication. The website is pretty clear on its functionality and feature availability across pricing tiers.

Cons

Perhaps I just need to retrain my brain, now that I've been using Slack and Hipchat so much, but I found the overall experience to be pretty confusing. I used Twist to kickstart a project at work and hoped to use that as a way to learn the app and create buy-in across the organization, but after using it I realized it wouldn't replace the functionality Slack provides.

Gabriel

April 2022

Very good to async companies

Pros

I'm a heavy user of Slack but sometimes Slack bothers you too much when you receive too many messages. On Twist, you can easily decide to answer threads later. It's very good if the drives are in this direction because everyone in the company needs to understand that it's a tool for async work and you may not receive an answer right away.

Cons

It's expensive as the number of users grows. It demands a shift of mentality of the whole company so it may be difficult to implement in some companies.

Nicole

Helps with managing projects using Threads

Pros

Twist is one of the best communication tool. It helps with creating new threads for each new projects. We can add different team members to different projects. Managing communication is easier in Twist as it stores all data into the cloud database. All contacts can be stored and personal messages can be sent.

Jeremy

Great communication and chatting application

Pros

Twist is a new product in the market yet but helps a lot with communicating with friends. It has great features like integrating with google documents.

Cons

Helps with sending quick messages. Allow people to join our channels to be part of a discussion. team members can be invited and added to various channels.

Zebo

Fantastic for contractors/freelancers/project managers

Outstanding! I am a very sensitive, focused, sensible, and accommodating contractor with my clients and team members. Twist has helped me to set healthy boundaries with them.

Pros

I love the fact that I am able to focus on my work without getting interrupted by any notifications. I am very disciplined with my time and I get bothered by unexpected notifications or random questions from colleagues. With Twist it requires users to create threads for any topic/questions - it makes the user think though and post an organized question that is though through and tag only people to it is addressed to. I moved from Slack to Twist and I don't regret it. I am super thankful for this platform help me to create a more sensible work environment.

Cons

EMOJIs :) Although I understand that Twist has purposely limited the emoji options for users not to be distracted. But that is the only thing I miss. Perhaps I will get used to it.

Katarzyna

Industry: Writing and Editing

Easy and useful

I like it. It's perfect for companies employing 10-500 people. If there were more, I guess they would need some more functions, or groups, but in my case, it was really good. I just needed contact to my PMs usually. They contacted a few more people, but I think they liked Twist too.

Pros

It's perfect for jobs like mine (copywritting/translating). Communication must be quick and easy. I could notify anyone in my own thread or go to someone else's tread and do the same. It's really crucial, when PMs and editors change for every project. Everyone could see the threads, so if someone needed help, they could find the informations without having to ask anyone. The are private messages too of course, so it's not like you can't send private data.

Cons

I had troubles with mobile app. Some users were added to notifications by deafault and I didn't really know how to cancel it, when I just wanted to notify one of them.

Good team communication tool with additional functionality to be more effective and productive.

Team communication is much cleaner than other alternatives. It's still in it's infancy in terms of development, but they seem to have gotten off on the right foot.

Pros

A clean user interface. Clarity between threads and messages. Easily create teams (groups) or send messages to individuals. Add emojis/reactions to comments/threads/messages. @mentions allow for lightweight notifications and communication. #tags make it easy to find common topics. Decisions and Tasks/Actions make it easy to see action items and be able to look back to see why you did what you did. Guest User accounts allow for collaboration with temporary team members (perhaps someone with another company that you are partnering with). The price is one of the most competitive in the market, especially for the features. Integration with Todoist allows you to take your action items outside of the chat environment into more of a task-oriented environment.

Cons

Twist is a relatively new software solution so the number of integrations is lacking, but the product is supported by a strong company so it is only a matter of time before they build their market share, build new integrations, and attract more 3rd parties to develop their own integrations.

Polo

The calmer option to slack

Pros

Twist lets you follow work topics in a more calm, less real time than other tools. Which might work for your organization, I really liked the ability to create channels where more focused conversations can surge. Since it is not a chat, people tend to be more concise and focused on their messages, which is great.

Miguel

A Twist On Collaborative Communication

I thought that I had seen them all. But something as simple as creating multiple threads within a channel was bright enough to justify the development of yet another tool. It truly does help keep you focused and ignore the noise from the content you seek. Its search features are great with more variables to choose from than one can desire. And it's integration with my favorite To-Do list (ToDoist), this pretty much puts the icing on the cake.

Pros

At first glance, Twist looks very familiar to its competitors. But upon closer examination, it has some significant improvements over them. For starters, it has a very sophisticated search engine that goes beyond basic searches in the threaded conversations. With all the power of its competitors, it keeps much of the noise inherent in collaborative communication tools to a very low minimum. How does Twist keep conversations better organized? It uses channels and threads. Unlike competitors who are setup for a long thread in a channel, Twist lets you create channels with multiple threads to isolate relevant conversations into individual threads. This helps cut down on the noise a little and allows you to keep an eye on the thread with more importance. Another cool feature is its integration to their ToDoist product. You can add conversations as To-Do or Tasks in ToDoist right from Twist. Need to integrate with other applications? This is simple, too. Choose from a hand full of their existing application integrations, or Zapier, which adds hundreds more to the list. Twist is very easy to setup and very easy to use. If you have ever used a collaborative communication tool in the past, you got this.

Cons

Could not find a Con I could speak on behalf of. With a free test account to start with, all the features known to collaborative communication tools, and a few perks that keeps the noise down... Twist truly has not Cons.

November 2022

Project management solution

The user experience is very well thought out. It's simple and effective.

Pros

It can be adapted to any department in the company to collaborate and manage your project efficiently. It organizes the topics in such a way as to ensure progress.

Cons

I would like to have more features like monday.com

Great teamwork product

Pros

I am so enthusiastic about Twist, it's really great. The general idea behind it is that it accomplishes what something like Slack does, but it is designed to not get in the way of work actually getting done. The topic threading is extremely well done, and administering a team through it seems very simple and intuitive, from my experience (I've been using it to organize a 3 person team for a couple of months). Twist has focused their design choices on actual productivity, and makes it easy to get back to conversations on your own schedule, without having to be online 24-7 to make sure you didn't miss anything important in a conversation. The search function, in my somewhat limited experience, is extremely good and useful. It also seems to be more affordable than something like Slack although I am not using the paid version yet (the project I'm using it for is informal and not funded atm), but mostly I just find that using it is much less stressful than other options I've used for team communication.

Cons

While this isn't really a technical problem, Twist still isn't the default communication app, so you can't just use this for anything you want, and you have to try to convert people to using it. In my case, I was setting up a new project and just told everyone we were giving it a try, and the reaction was very positive once they used it, however getting your team to buy into using it could be a problem.

Alan

Helps with collaboration

Pros

Twist helps me with collaborating with my team members for various important discussions. It helps creating channels and discussion panels.

Cons

User interface is easy but sometimes the messages does not deliver immediately. Seems the issue with latest version of Twist.

Stan

Twist helps with internal communication

Pros

Twist has been a good tool for our team to manage internal communications. It helps sending text messages as well as google documents on the chat. We can create threads for projects based on a project name. history for the chat can be maintained easily.

Cons

It has a very clean UI. The mobile app works great and provides email notification everyday for activities.

Mir

Twist helps me sending project information to design team

Great tool for communication (Especially on messaging, chat etc.)

Pros

Twist helps me communicating with our design team. It helps sending quick messages and keeps a history of messages. I can refer back to Twist when i need to see old messages.

Cons

It does not have any issue and works faster. It provides easy to use interface and helps communicating to team members.

Jonathan

YES! Slack but BETTER!

All the benefits of a chat app, none of the confusion and distraction. LOVE IT.

Pros

What I LOVE about Twist is that the conversations are THREADED! Other chat apps like the big one every knows about Slack are like big open real-time chat rooms. It's hard to go back to something that was talked about before or to catch up on a project that was talked about when you weren't logged on (say, if you work different hours than the rest of the team) All these other chat apps act like they're a replacement for email. But they don't quite replace it all. ENTER TWIST. If you've ever used another chat app, like Slack, it's pretty much just like it, EXCEPT inside the channel, there's another layer of organization! So, inside the "Upcoming Live Event" channel, instead of everything in one fat pile, you can have a "food vendors" thread, an "emcee selection" thread, and a "t-shirt designs" thread.

Cons

I really wish the free tier was more generous. It's limited by time (keeps messages for 1 month) instead of number of messages (most recent 10,000 for example) so it ends up pressuring teams to purchase or abandon pretty quickly (which may or may not be a bad thing?)

Matt

Competes well with Slack

Pros

Twist competes with Slack because if the functionality it provides. The thread concept works great for Twist and that is better than Slack,

Cons

The notification system on the phone needs improvement as sometimes we do not get timely notifications.

Alejandro

Not bad for a messaging app for our organization

I like it.

Pros

We use this as a messaging app for our global organization. I like the simpleness that it has. It is a straightforward app, with no flare of other tools... you post messages with links or attachments to channels or groups or private. You can see your entire team and message anybody. So this is very helpful to use for organizations that have teams in different countries.

Cons

The Ui is sometimes complicated. You have your threads and the messages. On the channels there are conversations... so it is complicated just to determine who are you talking too... Also you should use a bit of colors for the messages that are pending to read... something.

Leri