Website Toolbox Software Reviews

FrontRunners 2022

• icon"I like that it helps me to create a forum for my teams to share ideas and communicate what they are learning in trainings."
  • icon"It helps the client to not feel that they are the only person dealing with a specific situation and helps them leave their issues behind them. Thanks for this very useful tool."
  • icon"We like how it integrates into our website. Modern interface templates to choose from is a plus."
  • icon"I currently have one client who has changed her name and unfortunately there is no way to change her name on her account."
  • icon"We only use it for a forum - for intercommunication - so the price we pay is high for what we are using."
  • icon"Nearly impossible to filter into other social media sites, which is the main thing all of my users are looking for. It’s extremely difficult to organize topics, people post everywhere."

Browse all Website Toolbox Reviews

• Have you used Website Toolbox and would like to share your experience with others?

cathie

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Use it a lot!

Nickolas

Industry: Publishing

Easy, Attractive, and Terrific Customer Service

Just brilliant. The embeddable forum looks like a natural extension of my site. Customers love being able to keep in touch with each other.

Pros

I have a group of dedicated users who love forums. I searched for an attractive forum that could be embedded directly into my existing site. Even before the free trial was over, I knew that I would be purchasing from Website Toolbox. The options to make attractive forums really appealed to me, and setting up the forum was a snap. One of my users requested a feature (to embed Spotify playlists). I passed that along to the Dev team. I was told it might take 2-3 months, but they would work on it. Surprisingly, they got the feature built that same day! I was stunned!

Cons

My moderators can't seem to delete posts.

Response from Website Toolbox

Thanks for the wonderful comments! A moderator can delete a post by following these instructions: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/support/how-do-i-delete-a-postreply-49 Please make sure the moderator has the "Delete posts" permission for that category. Feel free to contact the support team if you need any assistance with setting that up correctly!

Replied August 2020

Linda

Fantastic online support for a forum that is so Clear and Simple to Set Up and Use

The main benefit is in building an interactive online learning community. Another benefit is that sometimes the discussions can easily be edited into collaboratively written articles.

Pros

This Discussion Forum can easily be organized according to 3 levels (and more if you want to get more complex). This makes it so easy for us to organize discussions that follow our course curriculum. The website toolbox staff provide fantastic online support.

Cons

Although it is possible to create different user groups and run two or more separate discussion forums with the same account - this is cumbersome and stressful. So we have arranged at custom alternative with Website Toolbox.

Reasons for choosing Website Toolbox

The main reason is that Disqus is a public forum that cannot be made confidential (participants are encouraged to share their discussions on social media). We also researched a number of other discussion forum software tools and found them to be incomprehensible and so not useful.

Reasons for switching to Website Toolbox

We still use (and love) the Thinkific Online course platform. It is just that their 2 discussion forum options did not work well at all. One of their options (Disqus) is a public forum that cannot be made confidential (participants are encouraged to share their discussions on social media). The other option was cumbersome and very difficult and frustrating for participants in our course to use.

Kelly

Industry: Sporting Goods

June 2022

Basic Forum

We used the forums for years until they increased the prices by 900%. Once set up the forums pretty much ran themselves with occasional moderation from us. It had been an affordable, convenient service until it wasn't.

Pros

Allowed us to add a forum to our website which would not allow 3rd apps.

Cons

Management of admins and moderators are a bit confusing. Forum control is separate from the account control.

Reasons for choosing Website Toolbox

At the time we implement this service cost was the deciding factor (turned out to be the deciding factor in discontinuing it as well).

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Kelly! To help you achieve your goals, we decided not to increase your forum subscription's cost over the past 18 years that you have been our client even though our pricing plans have increased several times over the years. As we emailed you recently before the increase, to be able to continue to ensure great results for customers like you, your monthly price was modestly increased. It was not increased anywhere near 900%. The pricing plan you're on still represents a 50% discount on the pricing plans we currently have for new clients. I'm sorry that we were not able to keep you on the same pricing that you were paying 18 years ago. Our costs have increased since then, and we've added many new themes and features over the years. This update will allow us to deliver even more value for your subscription. We appreciate your business and are glad that we were able to provide the platform that you could grow your forum on. Your forum does support app integration via Zapier.

Replied July 2022

Nataly

August 2022

Website Toolbox Review

Customer Service has been excellent! Always very responsive and helpful. They have taken suggestions given into consideration and several updates have been made, based on customer feedback. General set up is easy; cost is ok - depending on your needs there are tiers to chose from; available flexibility to set up your company theme, to match your website look or company logo/image

Pros

The ability to set up Topics and Categories for various communication categories is key to us, for its use. The flexibility provided in setting up these various groups allows us to address all areas of communication within the agency, by department, division, topic, area or project. The easy 'chat format', is similar to email and thus a comfortable layout for all to communicate in

Cons

not being able to maintain contacts that have not been active for a longer time period; losing those contracts does not allow us to then communicate with all in the agency via an email blast/main message; also, it is hard to upkeep the database of 'active members' as there is not 'unsubscribe feature' for members.

Reasons for choosing Website Toolbox

at that time it was the best option we found, that addressed the flexibility we needed, for our communication needs and ability to link to our webpage

Tanya

Very strong forum utility with outstanding customer support

We use Website Toolbox as our company's user forum - we contacted them in the midst of a site re-design, requesting assistance with porting *years* of past historical forum posts and user accounts from a crumbling platform crippled by spam users, not expecting that they not only could do this, but facilitated it and lost no data. Customer support with this company is consistently the best I've experienced in 20+ years as a web developer - highly responsive, very knowledgeable, does not drop the ball on issues. Any questions I've had have been answered promptly and thoroughly, any issues have been rectified. Our website is well over 500 pages, with full e-comm and locator functionality - of the four main components I deal with in managing the project, Website Toolbox's user forum is the least costly, least time consuming, highest performing component, hands down.

Pros

Features, ease of use, simplicity of admin console, cost, customer support , ability to customize

Cons

Not applicable - it checks all the boxes in terms of what we need and then some, and far exceeds expectations on customer support.

Reasons for switching to Website Toolbox

Our old site was using an open source older version of Vanilla, and it was crumbling under massive spam user attacks. We were completely re-developing the project and our user forum is a very valuable component, with years of product support information. We chose Website Toolbox due to a solid product and ridiculously good customer support from initial contact through ongoing support.

Response from Website Toolbox

Wow! Thanks for those extremely kind words Tanya! It's reviews like yours that make all of the hard work worth it! :)

Replied July 2019

Laura

HOA Forum

This is probably way more than we need for 72 homeowners, but I think it really speaks to the ability to scale this product to your needs.

Pros

We had to have a forum for our HOA. After I built a squarespace website, I added the forum using Website Toolbox. I can't be happier with how well it works for our community. I love the features and the ability to quickly add and delete users.

Cons

There was a bit of a learning curve. But, there's always someone to quickly help.

Reasons for choosing Website Toolbox

This one had great reviews for playing well with squarespace.

Reasons for switching to Website Toolbox

Listserv is terrible and it lead to people in our community just using it to harass one another and spread gossip. Website Toolbox is a million times better and much more appropriate. I can quickly delete anything that doesn't need to be posted and stop the spread of misinformation immediately.

Karen

February 2022

Fast and User Friendly

Pros

We needed a solution for our member association who had been using a ListServ for 30 years. It had to be easy to manage and support had to be responsive and strong. Website Toolbox nailed it!

Cons

We are still learning all of the features so I'd like to come back to this one after we have fully reviewed the services and features.

Reasons for switching to Website Toolbox

Wanted a more modern and easily administered solution.

Website Toolbox

The overall platform has worked well for what we needed. I did have a period of time that users were unable to login and our forum was inactive for about a month. Besides the few small glitches I have had, it has been a great product and the customer service works hard to solve your issues.

Pros

The customer service is amazing. They're always quick to respond and handle your issues.

Cons

Functionality can, at times, be unstable if you embed into a Wordpress site. You cannot use your theme builder to change the page or the code will be damaged. All design of the page must be handled through Website Toolbox. This may not be an issue for other site builders.

Response from Website Toolbox

Thanks for your wonderful comments! We definitely do strive to have amazing customer support! Thanks for reporting the issue regarding not being able to use the WordPress theme builder without it damaging your embed code. I've escalated that to our Quality Assurance team for investigation. Can you contact our support team regarding this at https://www.websitetoolbox.com/contact so that they can discuss with you if they have any difficulty reproducing the issue? Thanks!

Jeff

Industry: Oil & Energy

Forum

We just use it as a conversation and communication tool.

Pros

Able to have different topics and subjects.

Cons

Not easy to get a list of users so a mass email can be sent.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Jeff, Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad Website Toolbox has been useful for your group. You can email your users through the admin area by going to the Users -> Email section. If you click on the View Email Addresses link, it'll even give you a full list of the email addresses in case you want to use a different email system to email the users. Alternatively, you can download your entire members list in the Content -> Export section of the admin area. You can open it up in a spreadsheet program or even in a database. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding this process.

Jeff

Customer service

I like it.

Pros

I like the ease of use But I have found the cuztomer service to be the best part of websits toolbox.

Cons

The template (theme) I chose is limited. And I do t want to change it but it will not allow me to add links.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Jeff, Thanks for your feedback, and your wonderful comments regarding our customer service and ease of use. You can follow these instructions to add links to the navigation menu of your forum: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/support/adding-a-link-to-the-navigation-menu-616 Please also check out the two new themes called Classic and Material that we've launched over the last few months. We're also in the final stages of launching several new themes called Minimal, Lights Out, and Compact. Next week we'll also be launching the newest and most powerful version of our easy theme editor, which gives you even more control over the appearance of your forum.

Larry

Forum User only

They respond to support requests in a reasonable amount of time. They resolve issues on their end quickly. Communicating with my users has helped smooth a lot of potential issues.

Pros

It was relatively easy to set up and works (mostly) seamlessly. Does very nice job of setting up PayPal subscription accounts for paid forum features. Also tracks when users respond to a post and e-mails me.

Cons

Occasional glitches. Was throwing users out of paid access for a while but customer service fixed that promptly. Sometimes a customer cannot sign in and the issue resolves itself in a day but i can never tell if it was a user error or temporary software glitch. It has a lot of action logging features that I don't have time to play with. Many features are over my head (and available time) to install or implement. You can blame that on my head and lack of time, or on the software not being as user-friendly as it could be. I don't have anything else to compare it to. Access issues for a visually disabled user. Maybe this is beyond anyone's capacity to fix but I have a visually disabled user who is unable to consistently access the forum. Has to do with her text reading software not able to pick up click boxes and the like. I think that a tech would need to sit down with her at her computer to adequately understand the access issue. I suspect this is commonplace.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Larry! Thanks for the 5-star review! I'm glad Website Toolbox has been easy for you to set up and that you're earning money from your forum through our Paid Access feature! If you ever decide that you want to explore the more advanced features a bit more, try our help center for detailed guidance. Even better, just live chat, call, or email us anytime and we'd be glad to walk you through it! Thanks!

Replied December 2018

LOVE Website Toolbox!

Our website forum is integral to our sales. As customers post photos on our forum it encourages others to buy the product. The forum provides a great customer community. It includes members from all around the world.

Pros

The number one thing I love about Website Toolbox is the ease of integrating a forum into my website. The forum sits on their servers so there's no software or maintenance required on my end. In addition their team will work closely with you to ensure your forum looks exactly like your website. Plus the flat monthly fee includes unlimited image storage which is so important to us since we cater to woodworkers and almost every post includes images. Website Toolbox is continually improving and upgrading the software which I love.

Cons

I don't have any negatives. One feature I'd love to see in the future would be a built in translator for foreign language posts and for members from different countries to be able to view the forum in their native language.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi there! Thanks for your awesome 5-star review! There's nothing that makes us happier than seeing "love" in all capital letters! :) Built-in translation of user's posts to another user's current language is a fantastic suggestion. Thanks for that! We will add it in the future. Note that users can see the forum in their own language. The forum automatically detects the language that the user speaks and displays the forum in that language. 12 different languages are supported, and we can add any other language upon request. This is supported in any forum theme created within the last 2 years.

Replied December 2018

Wendy

A True Asset

We all love it! As the Admin, I find it very easy to use and create content for the users. The users all love the ability to chat and get info from each other.

Pros

As a Life Coach, I occasionally run book groups for my clients, when I do I use this software. It has helped my clients be able to learn and grow and change their lives. I write assignments and then each client reads the book and posts their input on the board for the group to read and interact with. It helps the client to not feel that they are the only person dealing with a specific situation and helps them leave their issues behind them. Thanks for this very useful tool!

Cons

I currently have one client who has changed her name and unfortunately there is no way to change her name on her account. We have discovered that in order to begin using her new legal name she must close out her old account and begin a new one, but that would be abandoning all previous posts and content. I wish it was easier to edit personal info so that my client could edit her name and keep her contributions.

Response from Website Toolbox

Hi Wendy! Thanks for your great feedback! I'm so glad that the forum is helping all of your clients. As an admin, you can edit a user's username or their legal full name if they provided that. Here are instructions on how to change the username: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/support/changing-the-username-of-a-user-76 Here are instructions on how to edit a user's profile to change their full name: https://www.websitetoolbox.com/support/editing-members-254 (Users can also do that themselves.) If you're using a custom Single Sign On integration which uses the full name and because of that you aren't able to change that information, please contact our support team and we'll be glad to make the change for you.

Replied August 2019

Petra

Issues with email receiving

Useful but too many issies

Pros

Ease of use and set up. Setting it up and customizing it was easy.

Cons

A large number of people i forum do not reveive emails, and no fix is offered. Fixes are offered only on individual basis when tech support is contacted reg a certain user.

Response from Website Toolbox

Thanks for your review Petra! I'm glad that setting up and customizing the forum was easy for you! We've recently worked to make any email delivery issues very transparent to the user. If the email isn't received due to a returned email from the email provider (full inbox, non-existent email address, etc.) , we show a message to the user informing them of that when they log in to the forum. In the next few weeks, we'll also be making a change that will show a notification in the forum Notifications menu if a user is unsubscribed from any type of email due to the email being returned as spam either because the email provider returned it as spam or the user marked it as spam. This way it'll be super clear why an email wasn't received by a specific user. We're also constantly monitoring email delivery to email providers to ensure that your forum maintains the highest possible email reputation score to ensure successful email delivery.

Replied August 2019

Rick

Great Forums software solution

Allows our clubs to communicate with each other outside our regular meeting locations. Watch club membership can also be controlled through the software from approvals to deletions.

Pros

Website toolbox has been our provider for our Watch Club Forums (350 members) for 7 years and also hosts forums for a local activity club (65 members). Software is easy to setup and functions very well. Company is constantly updating with new features. Downtime has been zero and if you need support they are there quickly and solve issues promptly. Highly recommend this company if you are looking to add forums capabilities to your association or company,

Cons

Major Software changes should be advised before implementation to administrator.

Response from Website Toolbox

Thanks for your review Rick! It's fantastic that your forum has grown to have so many members! We'll continue to provide you with the excellent support, new features, ease of use, and zero downtime that you've come to expect!

Replied October 2019

Neil

Great forum system, great pricing, outstanding support

Pros

Easy to set up, everything works as expected, easy to customise. Customer support was 24x7 via livechat, very helpful and always gave right answer; dev team also implemented an improvement I suggested (ability to upload .ico files as favicons) within days of me suggesting it.

Cons

Threaded replies would be invaluable, also proper @mentions, and proper Tags support.

Reasons for choosing Website Toolbox

Discourse promised a modern system etc etc - but the system is unusable - I'm a tech veteran and could not figure out how to change a theme or a color - baffling, and no help in sight. PlushForums' achilles heel is its editor, which is not WYSIWYG RTF like WSTB, uses BBcode instead (like Markdown), baffling for new users and awkward on small screens, also laborious to add images - Upload image first, then create link to image - like the Dark Ages. Also the pricing model is based on online users, difficult if you can't predict this, whereas WSTB has simpler (and much cheaper) pricing based just on pageviews.

Response from Website Toolbox

Thanks for your excellent feedback Neil! We do have user mentions support already. While we currently have threaded replies by using quotes, we'll be adding even more robust support very soon. Tagging is a great suggestion that's also on our short-term development roadmap.

Replied March 2020