All OnPay Reviews

Accounting, 2 - 10 employees

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed July 2022

Our go-to payroll software!

Kevin

Construction, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2020

Everything you need it to be an more

OnPay has worked seamlessly for us. I would highly recommend.

PROS

Very easy to setup and use for a small business. If you need help, support is great to deal with.

CONS

Integrations with quick books are good, but lack some of the features you get with payroll through quickbooks.

Real Estate, 201-500 employees

Reviewed July 2020

Used For a Company of Contractors

Over the years we have very much appreciated the way OnPay listens to us and impliments our suggestions and features that work for our company.

PROS

We like being able to add new contractors and allowing an invitation to go out to the employee to log in and finish their own set up by adding their banking information. We like being able to see a payment history made to the employee. We like the ease of making direct deposit to employees.

CONS

We would rather enter contractors as contractors rather than employees which is easier to set up. Right now we have to add the 1099 Misc payment addon.

Reason for choosing OnPay

We felt our inquires were answered with concern for our needs.

Reasons for switching to OnPay

We wanted a company to do all the heavy lifting for us, and have the ability for employees to have access to their own tax documents that they can download themselves as they need. The cost of not having to mail out 1099 misc forms covers a major portion of the cost of OnPay.

Reviewed January 2020

Going down hill fast

They used to be good. I have been them for 3-4 years Customer service knew what they are doing, there were not glitches, basically hassle free payroll. Starting September or October, we started having issues here and there. First features would get added ( and we start using them ) and then disappear. Taxes are not being filed on time or at all ( I have called them, talked to them on the phone about this multiple times ) . Integrations appear and disappear and i have to keep syncing things. Have to map quickbook chart of accounts again for every payroll item. It's been a NIGHTMARE. It's literally a nightmare. I am looking at other companies and now willing to pay more. The function to upload payroll data comes and disappears right before the payroll and then it takes one day to add it and then again it disappears We have a collection notice from our state because of these guys. Every time, i message them / email them, either they don't respond or when i talk to them on the phone they act like i am a dumb. They are terrible.

PROS

Cheaper price than many but I would rather pay more for a job to get done well.

CONS

on collection notice from state dep of rev because of them Non responsive Customer service ( someone will talk to you but don't get things done ) Customer service not knowledgeable ( gave me wrong information several times ) Glitch y integrations with other platforms ( you can only use WhenIWork ) Glitch y software in general Features appearing and disappearing

Hi there! Thanks for your feedback, and I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had a better experience. Though tax mistakes are uncommon, when a tax notice does happen our Customer Experience team is here to help resolve everything. We'd be happy to look into the issues you mention and make sure everything runs smoothly. We have also expanded our integration offerings, which may be of interest. If you message us your company name or email, we'll reach out to help!

Replied January 2020

Mike

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Reviewed June 2020

Great Payroll Software

I have really enjoyed using this software. It is our companies third payroll software vendor and as long as they continue to operate the way they do it will be our last.

PROS

The fact that you can modify employee information, add/subtract new employees, and make changes all while right in the middle of running a payroll. It is also very valuable that they allow you to run as many payroll instances as you need. For instance if you have an employee that forgot to add to their time sheet you can go back and generate another payroll for that one employee with no additional charges.

CONS

Some of the elements of the software are not intuitive and it is very difficult at times to deal with tax related issues through the software. Customer service is usually really helpful and most questions can be answered through chat.

Simplicity, cost, functionality

Reasons for switching to OnPay

Frustrated with cost, lack of flexibility in how the software can be used, poor customer service, and continually introducing new price increases.

Kenton

Semiconductors, 11-50 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Easy to use and great value

We have had a good experience with OnPay. There are very few issues or errors and, when there are issues, the OnPay team has solved them in an expedient manner. Over the years we have realized significant cost savings due to the ease of use of OnPay. General business or managerial staff can easily run the system instead of paying a service or hiring a payroll professional to manage payroll for larger groups.

PROS

OnPay is easy to use with an intuitive interface. It was a good product for a small company of just a couple people and it has continued to work for us as we approach 20 people. It is also reasonably priced and does not overwhelm users and administrators with too much complexity.

CONS

The thing we like least about OnPay is the way paid time off (PTO) accrual growth is calculated. We grow PTO accrual every year of employment up to 20 years and that requires employees to be moved into new PTO growth categories every three years. We could just choose to do our PTO differently, but we wish OnPay had the PTO growth flexibility to accommodate our preferred methods.

Reasons for switching to OnPay

We were very small and ADP was too difficult for our staff to handle at the time. We also did not want to pay for the payroll service at the time due to the cost.

Amy

Non-Profit Organization Management, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2020

Full function, clear UX, low cost

Overall, it's been very positive. They have what our organization needs at a good price, and are easy to use.

PROS

I chose OnPay because they offered an easy-to-use QSEHRA designation, which our previous provider SurePayroll did not. I am tremendously pleased with OnPay. The page layouts are clear, reasonably intuitive and very easy to set up, and they keep introducing smart upgrades which make tools even easier to find. They also have excellent customer service, by chat, phone, or email.

CONS

It could be clearer to set up PTO/vacation/sick policies. I also don't know why I can't delete double notifications when employees get paid.

Price and ease of use.

Reasons for switching to OnPay

SurePayroll did not have an ability to designate and track QSEHRA payments, and had absolutely maddening customer service.

Myron

Religious Institutions, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2022

The best payroll service available!

We've had state tax issues that OnPay has navigated us through, and every issue we've had, they've quickly replied and resolved the matter.

PROS

OnPay is easy to use, and our employees love how easy they can manage their profiles.

CONS

The only thing we wish that OnPay did was automatically deduct payroll. Other than that, it's an excellent product, with outstanding customer service.

Reason for choosing OnPay

OnPay offered us the most comprehensive package, and they've proven themselves time and again with customer service.

Reasons for switching to OnPay

The lack of customer service, and the extremely high costs.

Accounting, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Beats all the other platforms for Accountants

Overall it has been amazing compared to where we have come from. Patriot, Accountants World, Intuit are nightmares. Even Gusto doesn’t care about their partners like this company. Thank you OnPay. We will be sticking with you as we grow.

PROS

They actually care about doing what they say they will do and professionalism. This is a strong contender for Accounting professionals. In fact, the best experience we have had. There are many out there that will make you pull your hair out. This company has incredible support staff and they really care about their partnerships.

CONS

Wish they would integrate co-branding more into their service for their partners. Wish they would integrate with more time keeping platforms.

Reason for choosing OnPay

Professionalism was top notch and they care about improving their product and they care about their partners!

Reasons for switching to OnPay

Because we needed a platform that wasn’t a nightmare and one that actually followed through on a great product and service.

Joan

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Reviewed July 2020

Time-saver!

Doing payroll now takes minutes instead of hours! The program pays for itself, not only in time saved, but due to less expense from the accounting firm.

PROS

All I have to do is enter the hours, overtime, and any bonuses- - -all the calculations are done automatically. It is a relief not to have to calculate the withholdings, write the checks, figure out how much to pay the state and federal government, then pay it. As our staff grew, I didn't have time to spend on payroll, then had to pay my accountant to double-check everything. OnPay takes care of everything! I am not very computer-savvy, so it was nice to be able to get assistance from their friendly service people. Now I can figure out most things on my own!

CONS

Sometimes new employees miss the part about setting up direct payment into their accounts. It must not be obvious, because about 1 out of 3 will miss it. Getting set up was fairly easy. They took the information from my old system (which was mostly "by hand" and converted it easily. When I didn't understand something, their customer service was able to talk me through it.

Reason for choosing OnPay

OnPay seemed more user-friendly and actually cost less as well.

Alison

Information Services, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2023

Onpay review

PROS

Overall Onpay is a good software for small businesses keep track of payroll, business expenses, and taxes.

CONS

Onpay is affordable for small businesses.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2020

Great Product, Responsive Service

As a small company, OnPay was very easy to set up and reliably delivers for us for onboarding, payroll, etc. They've always been extremely supportive and responsive, and they stepped up their game during COVID by making all of the PPP reporting and application materials available on the front screen.

PROS

OnPay makes it very easy to onboard and serve our staff. The reporting functions are well put together, and provided us with everything we need for banking, finance, etc.

CONS

My only complaint about OnPay is that the UIUX isn't quite as sleek as some of the other competitors, but the ease of use and features are all on target.

The UI was superior.

Reasons for switching to OnPay

They were just too expensive, and not helpful with what we needed to do.

BR

Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2021

New User, happy so far

Excellent.

PROS

The OnPay customer service has been excellent since the first call I had with them. The help transferring our information from a big, clunky payroll platform to getting it to the streamlined & easy to use OnPay platform was seamless. The communication, information, help & kindness shown throughout the process has been a real change from our last experience. The response time is super quick too!

CONS

So far it is not as robust as the last platform so I am missing some features (specifically benefits enrollment). I'm still a new user and am just diving into the reports now.

Reason for choosing OnPay

There was a promotion with Tech Soup.

Reasons for switching to OnPay

The cost and the customer service experience. Each individual person was helpful, but the wait times, the switching from department to department, the lack of clear communications and the feeling of being lost in the ether when I would call for help was really frustrating. We're a small non-profit and ADP Workforce Now's pricing was just too much for us to maintain. It was also really cumbersome to get through and didn't allow for a lot of employee self service without admin intervention.

Alisha

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Reviewed October 2020

Recommended

My overall experience is good. The cost and customer support team make it a no brainer.

PROS

What I like most about the software is the ease ofnavigation. Being able toggle between areas is helpful to verifying information. But I feel that this companies best feature is their customer support department. Every time I have had to call, their representatives are always polite and can fix any of my problems.

CONS

I sometimes have issues with the pair time off or vacation algorithms. This is the feature that as given me more phone time w/ customer support.

Reason for choosing OnPay

At the time of purchase, the cost was the overall consideration.

Silas

Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2021

Onpay is a must for small businesses

PROS

Ease of setup, logical workflow with double checks and warnings, this product pays for itself with its time-savings which allowing me to focus on growing my business rather than writing endless checks.

CONS

There really are no downfalls with Onpay, other than I have not had the need to utilize every tool it provides. But maybe someday as my business grows Im happy knowing OnPay is there if I need more tools.

Reasons for switching to OnPay

It was way expensive and I still had to provide more information than i do now. So i paid more and increased my time burden.

Medical Practice, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed July 2023

Onpay versus Paychex

I have never had an issue with Onpay in over 8 years. Set my reminder towards end month to login and run payroll. Tax paperwork is always there and sent efficiently and on time.Costs is also a great reason to signup to Onpay for payroll purposes

PROS

First off, I was using Paychex for my small business payroll and tax purposes for 5 years initially when I started my PLC. It worked fine and given that my business is small it, I feel that I didn’t require much from the company. However, every year they would raise costs 20%. After 5 years, realize it wasn’t worth it to continue. Searched around and found Onpay. Have been using this service for over 8 years now without any problems. Easy to use, important paperwork always available online and easy to adjust. 99% of the things I need done can be done easily in their online portal. If I have a question, issue, or need help, there is always a tech person online I can chat with in real time. Haven’t had any issues in 8 years and tax paperwork has been correct and direct deposits has never been a problem.

CONS

If you need to be hand held through payroll and monthly deposits, etc…then perhaps use another service like Paychex that assign you a person for help. However, the means almost 10 times the cost for pretty basic things that you can do online without much effort with Onpay. Improvement can be that they send an email to remind you to run payroll towards end of month.

Cost was too high

Amy

Non-Profit Organization Management, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed October 2022

The features we need at a great price

Excellent. Simple to use, clear records and communication, easy integrations.

PROS

OnPay provides all the payroll, tax compliance, and vacation tracking services we need, in an easy to use interface. Our previous payroll company had no way to denote a QSEHRA, and provided poor customer service. OnPay is responsive, helpful, and innovative, especially around many COVID changes and services.

CONS

Sorry that the price is increasing, but I get it.

Price and ease of use

Reasons for switching to OnPay

No ability to document QSEHRA payments.