ARCHICAD Software Reviews

Find out more:

Find out more:

Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"With the release of ArchiCAD V23 there are a lot of new features that have increased my more flow. The integration of add-ons like TwinMotion and the new an improved coloumns and beams tools."
  • icon"Sometimes I like that archicad is less rigid than Revit. It's easy to create what you want and to get it to look the way it should."
  • icon"So easy to use and even faster, it has also very good graphic result to accomodite the detail of project model."
  • icon"It is difficult to find enough learning material and what already exists is very difficult for understandning for people out of coding world."
  • icon"Archicad will force you to be inaccurate unless you fight it to your last breath. You'll curse Archicad's lack of ortho snaps."

Have you used ARCHICAD and would like to share your experience with others?

All ARCHICAD Reviews

Laurel

Industry: Civil Engineering

August 2022

one of the best in the BIM world

Pros

The sober and uncluttered interface makes it easy to use. Management of several data in the same program. Perfectly adapted for medium-sized companies. File sharing, 3D visualization of prototypes. It is possible to make more elaborate presentations and convince partners and collaborators more easily.

Cons

Limited functionality for non-paying versions. Requires enough time to master the GDL programming language to create parametric objects. Basically, it is difficult to master all the features and sometimes the services of an expert will be required.

Jeffrey

ArchiCAD is awesome!!

The ability to quickly illustrate an idea in 3D and present to a client for complete understanding of the design. Live 3D is virtually flawless in its ability to move about the model and make on-the-fly modifications.

Pros

Ease of TeamWorking ability, able to model as easily in 3D as in 2D and 2D in any elevated manner.

Cons

At first the learning curve was a bit steep and we seemed to have trouble getting work out the door while we were still learning the software, however that was 15 or so years ago and there are more learning and training opportunities available now.

Reasons for choosing ARCHICAD

Price point, ie. was originally not a subscription based product.... No need for custom built, over the top hardware. Not a Autodesk product!

Reasons for switching to ARCHICAD

Other software's tended to not be as stable or well integrated in the actual software, multiple crashes and lost work were common. The stability of ArchiCAD is quite remarkable and we have lost little to no work with the rare occasion when ArchiCAD does have a hiccup.

Stephany

November 2022

Archicad como herramienta de diseño BIM

En general mi experiencia con el software ha sido muy buena

Pros

Me parece un software muy interesante, llevo varios años utilizándolo. La facilidad de coordinar dibujos entre 2D y 3D y la posibilidad de detectar errores al trabajar en ambas vistas a la vez, me parece de sus características más útiles.

Cons

Deria deseable que la biblioteca de objetos fuera más amplia

Powerful piece of software that could rival Revit if Graphisoft could shift their approach

Pros

Sometimes I like that archicad is less rigid than Revit. It's easy to create what you want and to get it to look the way it should. Rendering is a breeze. Some of the tools are beyond intuitive. They function exactly the way they should.

Cons

This is BIM light. You will be piecing together your model using slabs to represent everything under the sun. You will fudge things with solid element operations that will keep you up at night. Archicad will force you to be inaccurate unless you fight it to your last breath. You'll curse Archicad's lack of ortho snaps. The inability to create "blocks" is utterly ridiculous and maddening. There are 20 ways to access every objects setting and it will confuse you to no end for the first year. Instead of fixing problems and consolidating settings, Graphisoft has decided that their mantra is "addition." If something doesn't work right, just add features so that no one notices what they're missing. Instead of giving users what they need, modify the GUI and give them a bunch of useless crap to try to get them to buy the newest version. This is sloppy software development at its finest. It's sad because if they spent a few years cleaning up the beast that they've created, it could be a match for Revit. As is, it's a severely bloated Sketchup pretending to be a BIM package.

Reasons for switching to ARCHICAD

Because I was forced to by changing companies.

Sofia

The best program for modeling in architecture

For my experience its a program that can run smothly in an ordinary PC, also has an amazing backup, the times that I expirience this programg crashing I didnt lose anything. You can model really big proyects and it doesnt have any problem. And last but not least, like every program that can be used for professionals as for students it's amazing that they have a student free version.

Pros

I Love that in first place is a really intuitive software, the first time that you use this program you can see how easy is to find every tool. The other thing that is a really awsome feature in this program is the costumisation of every single thing, you dont have to download almost any object to compleate the 3d, even the simplification of objects is excelent, you can for example place a door with a lot of details or just a realy minimalistic door from the same object. The integration with other apps is amazing, from my experience this is a really important factor for a good 3d modeling software,

Cons

What I like the least of this software after 7 years of using it is the making of the ramps, it's not as customizable as the stairs.

Reasons for switching to ARCHICAD

The other program was very heavy, and couldn't manage big projects in my computer.

February 2022

ARCHICAD is the most mature and stable BIM solution available

Overall, it has been a great experience. There are always stumbling blocks with complex software, but we've done a good job of producing what we need with very tight deadlines.

Pros

Very flexible for designers. We can produce the same deliverables in multiple ways depending on how we need to work.

Cons

Sometimes too flexible, especially for newer users learning the software.

Reasons for switching to ARCHICAD

We switched over 24 years ago and never looked back.

Sadaf

One of the best tools for BIM implementation

As an Architect, I have been able to use ArchiCAD for conceptual designs, detailed drafting, interior layouts as well as generating high-quality elevations, sections and 3D views for all my projects, including presentation drawings. In fact, 3D modelling and rendering have been made simple thanks to ArchiCAD. Visualization, (placing cameras) and gathering documentation are also uncomplicated. Rendering tools are useful and there is no need to get extra plug-ins for performing the same tasks that can be done within the software itself. I consider ArchiCAD to be better than its counterparts, e.g. Revit mainly because it is uncomplicated to use, with the same functionality at an economical investment.

Pros

ArchiCAD is one of the most innovative platforms for BIM available in the market today. It is a powerful software that can cater to the design needs of architects, interior designers as well as landscape and urban planners. One can either import 2D drafts into ArchiCAD and work on the same to prepare a 3D model; or work on ArchiCAD on Plan mode and the software will automatically generate elevations, sections and 3D views. If the building is multi-storey, it is much easier to correct any minor deficiencies in drafting (that can be missed in the plan view) through the 3D viewer, which makes it perfect to use when trying to pinpoint any errors. There is a wonderful feature in AutoCAD called Solibri Model Checker that can accurately analyse the BIM model to accurately locate errors along with any possible faults in design, and identify areas, where the components used, are clashing. As an Architect, I feel that it is a great tool that can be used to estimate the energy requirements of a building. Moreover, there is a plug-in called EcoDesigner STAR that offers features including energy model visualization, thermal zoning and simulations for energy performance. It is one of the better software I have used for 3D modelling and I never think of switching to any other.

Cons

As is with other similar software, ArchiCAD requires a robust system to operate with a high level of RAM especially when rendering. It does tend to slow down the system a bit especially when you are opening a data-rich file. Secondly, there is a steep learning curve with the software, which is easy to overcome with practice. Apart from these two shortcomings, I have no other major concern that would affect my opinion of this otherwise excellent software.

Temesgen

Industry: Civil Engineering

November 2022

Best App for architect

it is a very power full tool to show customers the end product before it is constructed or erected in 3D, 2D, plan, profile, section views ...

Pros

it is very user friendly, easy to learn, has many many built in structures/libraries, it is being contentiously updated ...

Cons

it has some how limited rendering capabilities,

GnimWazou Gaston

October 2022

Mon avis

Pros

Archicad est facile à utiliser, la présentation 3D très impeccable, je recommande fortement

Cons

Je trouve que Archicad offre tout le nécessaire

December 2021

Archicad helps drive our firm to innovate

We first implemented Archicad with version 4.1 and have seen the development of this product help drive our firm to innovate and gradually adopt a robust BIM approach to our entire process that sets us apart from most of our peers. We now believe that Archicad can help us introduce a new paradigm that integrates our subconsultants and the general contractors we work within a single model database that will soon become the standard for delivery of architectural documentation and preconstruction services.

Pros

Ease of use, workflows that increase our productivity and a bias to design in a 3D work environment that simultaneously produces visualization tools, like BIMx viewer, that allows our team and our clients to better understand the design at much earlier stages. We also love how Archicad is set up to favor front loading our labor with the benefit of reducing the total labor and time to final delivery.

Cons

Archicad pushes the envelope that modern hardware can handle. We wish the program and the cloud based services were speedier. We also had problems with excessive crashes in AC 21, 23, and 24.

Reasons for choosing ARCHICAD

Mac platform, 3D design bias that is integrated with 2D output, parameter based data inclusion, designed for architects the way they already worked with sketching on velum and drafting on mylar — only better.

archicad for bim and 3d

used daily in our office, the workflow is set up very well, drawings can be published quickly and with little effort, so it definitely is worth the money.

Pros

from design to detailing we use the software in every design stage with buildings and landscape designs. 3D models and solutions can be achieved quickly and in depth.

Cons

over the years it has become very detailed and comprehensive, sometimes (stairs e.g.) it has become overbloated a bit. very expensive when used together with the yearly subscription and updates.

Reasons for choosing ARCHICAD

better workflow, better on-premise support.

Kanav

Value for Money & Great Software

Day by day i'm started feeling more connected to the software without comprising my design, explaining my design to my clients through this medium (ArhiCAD software) is always makes my confidence level up. It's a good way to start your career. Thank you Graphisoft

Pros

As an Architect it is important to have a good tool with you & i guess ArchiCAD is the first choice. as a young and aspiring architect i always wanted give a meaning to my design, This software help me to get a more practical approach to my work from the beginning of my design, I can work in more details of my project while managing it's 3-D model effortlessly. More control over model while drawing in 2-D is a plus. The more you will use it more will connect with the software.

Cons

not much but the document manager is bit more complicated, it could more user friendly it will make our more easier.

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Archicad makes me a better architect.

I have always been glad that I chose Archicad as the software for my work. Since 1996, the software has evolved into a very powerful set of tools for the practitioner..

Pros

The use of Archicad and its full range of features including the 3-D window provides intuitive and organizational ways to successfully manage project development that consistently yields high quallity documents.

Cons

It is hard to incorporate software improvements into the normal workflow without some guidance on how to incorporate the new features. It is very challenging to develop new expertise rapidly enough to take advantage of improvements.

Prashant

October 2022

One of the best BIM modeling software

The overall experience is just amazing with ArchiCAD. This BIM modeling software increases my productivity and makes my work life easy.

Pros

The Rendering feature is just amazing in ArchiCAD. The output of the render is very accurate with the materials used and is of the best quality. It makes my day-to-day work easy.

Cons

Every feature is amazing in Archicad but the user interface can be a little easier to use. Otherwise, every feature works perfectly.

Industry: Architecture & Planning

pros and cons of features and tools in arcchicad

I like this software alot, I have used it since version 9 and I expect to keep using it.

Pros

Its a pretty easy to use software for making 3D models of our buildinga, and extracting 2D views of sections of the model to make constructyion documents. The 3D views one can generate within the software is very handy, and is sufficient for 90% of what i'd like to achive with a single software package.

Cons

Surface rendering and choices of how to render the model could be improved alot. The Model View Options and Graphic Over-ride tools could be alot easier to understand and employ.

Miroslav