• Pros

• "The installation is very easy and the migration of previous version information works very well."

• "What I like the most about this program is how easy it is to use. There is a lot to learn but easy to use in the long term. It is simply the best you can use for any aspect."

• "Easy to use, works well on MacBook. Works well for what I need to do on a daily basis as an interior designer.. covers the basics!"

• Cons

• "It has a lot of features and commands. However it does not have all of the commands that the full version has."

• "it has so many features, thats why a little bit hard to get used"

• "Had some issues during initial installation and setup, but nothing that bad."

Browse AutoCAD LT Reviews

Derek from Greystone Environmental Management

Industry: Environmental Services

I use this program all of the time!!!! Highly recommend.

Pros

As an environmental engineer, I work with and create many engineering drawings/figures for municipal client construction and remedial projects and AutoCAD is the most universally used program. It is very simple to use from creating complex multi-layered drawings to simple figures with the ability to drop in pictures (jpegs, gif, etc.) to enhance the project deliverables. I also like the ability to print to a pdf file, which makes it convenient to email deliverables without having to attach all of the different referenced files.

Cons

I don’t have any. It is a less complex program as it doesn’t have the 3D functionality. I would recommend using the AutoCAD LT version as it can be smoother/quicker to operate than the AutoCAD or AutoCAD Architectural versions.

Orlando from Juapi Energy

Industry: Renewables & Environment

It's the standard because it's better

We have saved a lot of time with AutoCAD LT with the constant use of library functions. The speed of the program is great, it's faster than all the other programs we've used in the past.

Pros

AutoCAD LT offers features that other similar alternatives does not offer. It permits to have an extensive library of already drawn items. Instead of copying and pasting from previous drawings, we can draw it once, save it in the library and call on it whenever we like.

Cons

With all great things there is usually a cons list, but for now the only con we've seen is the unfortunate trend of companies "forcing" to purchase an annual subscription to the product. Don't get me wrong, Autodesk offers a permanent licence but at a pretty steep cost. It may eventually be cost-effective, but with all the new features, bug fixes and incompatibility issues that arise with every new release, we are "forced" or lured to take the path of an annual subscription. But we are living in 2020, and like in The Mandalorian: "This is the way!".

Reasons for Choosing AutoCAD LT

While testing AutoCAD LT it proved to us why it was best, it's faster, easier to use and modern-looking.

Reasons for Switching to AutoCAD LT

We needed to find a program that helped us work faster.

Smita from University

Autocad LT Review- Rejuvenating 2D Work

Pros

The most striking aspect of this software is its seamless workflow. With Autocad LT version, you comprehensively get all the required assests to work on 2D Drawings. The ease of navigation and selection is amazing and the interface is extremely intriguing to work with.

Cons

The downside of the product is that it lags after a lot of hatches and annotations are added to it.

Drawing program

It is an application that I can quickly model an easy 2 dimensional object. I can access this model I designed on the web and mobile.

Pros

Provides the opportunity to create 2D drawings with easy-to-use drawing tools; It is software that supports desktop, web and mobile applications. It gives the user the chance to make 2D drawings very quickly.

Cons

It cannot perform 3D modeling and visualization processes. It cannot perform the creation of images (render output) with lighting, materials and visual styles.

Reasons for Switching to AutoCAD LT

Because the models we have made are no longer sufficient in 2D.

Devarapalli from Technical Hub

Autocad LT Extraordinary

Pros

I like it when we exclusively draw 2D objects.

Cons

When we open the software, it took me so long to open. If we want to make 3D objects , it is very difficult. Recently i used to draw a layout of an Machinery Industry. It is better than Autocad i used before.

Reasons for Switching to AutoCAD LT

For example, in autocad if we are trimming or deleting one line we can't see it. it directly deletes the line. But in Autocad LT we can see what line is trimming or deleting. Thanks to Autocad LT Autodesk for providing us the best.

Great way to improve your drafting process!

Pros

The software is easy to use, works very well with multiple open windows.

Cons

I use it daily and I don't have any problem. Totally worth its price.

Reasons for Switching to AutoCAD LT

Autocad files are most compatible with other apps.

Muhammad from Conscious environments

if you just use Autocad for 2D plans just get this

its been positive, only thing it crashes sometimes with hatches and the file is easier to download and install

Pros

It gives me what i need for the right price point rather than having to spend the money on the full Auto CAD. if you work on landscape or just do 2d plans then this works fine. and when you buy a version of LT you get i belive 4 years of upgrades free. so rather than spending a few thousand on somthing you dont need now, you can get LT and keep upgrading till you stop.

Cons

some 3d elements and quick short cuts are not available but it really doesn't effect our daily work flow

Reasons for Choosing AutoCAD LT

its still auto Cad works great i can design color and print as i would im just saving80%

Reasons for Switching to AutoCAD LT

Lower cost and needed more license

Complete solution for 2D designing

The software has all the necessary features for my design work of road networks. Although its a little bit costly, the value for money is acceptable.

Pros

It has basic functionalities like creating polygons and advanced features like creating complex network of nodes. Built-in templates of common accessories make my work very easy. Besides, its detailed help page explains every features very thoroughly.

Cons

I can't create 3D designs from the 2D ones. Besides, it still doesn’t have an android app for design management on-the-go.

Robert from Caztek Engineering

Good for 2D product living in a 3D world

It is the standard for 2D. I don't like designing with it, but rarely have issues. It is intuitive and plays well with other 2D programs for import and export.

Pros

Timeless. I learned how to use this this a lifetime ago and can still use it when I need it every 2 years or so.

Cons

Having used parametric 3D CAD, going back to work with dumb lines is a little jarring. I am used to using relations like midpoint, tangent, etc, and when I edit dimensions these relations are maintained. Editing line lengths, shapes, and positions is more tedious when when you have to deliberately create these relations.

Wahid from Woodford Heating & Energy Ltd

Recommended for Engineers

Pros

One of the most used softwares as a design engineer. A lot to learn but once you do it's very useful. Plenty of key shortcuts.

Cons

The software does require a fairly high spec PC in order to run the more detailed designs more smoothly otherwise the experience is aweful.

For me ... The best Soft !

Pros

AutoCAD develops an arsenal of features to perform 2D sketches, drawings and annotations. To do this, it proposes a revision cloud that summarizes all the new modifications around a drawing. Functions related to scoring, benchmarks and tables are also provided. Also known for its 3D modeling capabilities, AutoCAD is powerful in 3D modeling and photorealistic rendering of solids, surfaces and many meshes. This solution also offers a wide range of 3D visualization and navigation tools to present designs. One of AutoCAD's strengths is its connection to Autodesk 360. This connectivity allows you to synchronize your work online so as not to lose it, but also to simplify a possible change of machine or to share your work for example.

Cons

The subscription cost is quite expensive, but it is the price to pay to use the best software on the market

autocad lt for 2d drawing

Pros

perfect when used as a professional, very comprehensive drawing software. very precise and in depth approach can be achieved. we used it for detailing in 2D, where it is outstanding.

Cons

expensive. there are alternatives that cost far less or are for free. it has no 3d capacities, so it is for no use in the architecture office anymore.

Great Program but some glitches need to be fixed

This is my number one program, I am in the design field, I have used this program for almost everything. Greating banners, files for laser cutting, shop drawings, 3d rendering. etc.

Pros

This program is great for anyone in the design industry. It helps create accurate drawings for architectural purpose, interior design purpose and generally anything that needs measurements. It is easy to use, and the commands are accessed easily by just entering first few letters. EG line command, just type in L and you will see a little box pop up asking you if you are trying to make a line.

Cons

Finding that trying to change the work space to a custom work space causes the CAD to crash. So it would be great to fix that glitch, as every individual works differently on CAD and likes to have certain sets of command tools on there model space.

Perfect 2D drawing package when on a tight budget

Machine parts and plant layouts are completed in a jiffy with this easy to use and quick to learn program. Although 3D packages might offer more of a "wow" factor, often times a 2D package is all one needs.

Pros

AutoCAD LT will give most users all the CAD functionality they need when on a tight budget. Importing PDF images such as maps and blueprints into and being able to draw over them is all that most users will ever need - be warned price and ease come with limitations, this is not a 3D package but isometric build-drawings are generally what manufactures need to build that part or even machine you need.

Cons

Having "seen" the power of 3D, one can be easily influenced to buy up - especially by a commission hungry salesman.

Nicola from McLean Quinlan

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Backbone of our drafting process

We find it a suitable alternative to the full license of AutoCAD and that it meets all of our 2d drawing needs.

Pros

This software meets all of our needs for the drawing aspects of small scale architectural projects. We have been using AutoCAD for years and find the LT meets almost all of our needs at a lower price point than the full version.

Cons

We don’t use cad for 3d drawings but are sometimes given 3D files onto which we add. Although we work in 2d we find that sometimes lines end up locked to different z coordinates when we export the file to other programs and there is no way within other to simply flatten a drawing to avoid this problem.

What CAN'T you do?

I've been using AutoCAD for many years and there are still many things to learn. I don't believe a single person will ever be able to learn all there is for AutoCAD to offer in their lifetime. Once you learn the basics, it is easy to use.

Pros

There's so much you can do on this program. This is mainly a 2D drawing program and in that line of work, the possibilities are endless. It's highly recommended if you are drawing electrical. It works great for home floorplans.

Cons

This is not the AutoCAD capable of drawing in 3D. This is specifically a 2D drawing program. That is the difference between AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT. LT is 2D. This is very important when choosing programs.

Daniele from AW Construction

Industry: Civil Engineering

Autocad is essential for my work.

Pros

I've been working with Autocad for over six years and never thought about changing. It meets all my needs and, when I can't find a solution for a project, I have the answers by searching the Internet. I have experience in 2D projects, but I have already tried 3D tools and found it easy to learn. I have no problems with slowness and crashes, unlike other software I've tested.

Cons

The license is very expensive, which prevents many small companies from purchasing software that, in my opinion, is the best on the market for the preparation of civil engineering projects.

Functional, but hard to use

the product is necessary. i do not particularly like using it, and it is not my first choice for doing my own work. having said that, i do use the product, and i would recommend the product. everyone's mileage varies, and sometimes you just have to use something you don't particularly like because you have no choice.

Pros

it is still the gold standard for the drawing formats that Autodesk invented. sometimes you just have to go back to the original, rather than just using other products that can read the files. as with other products, the clones just aren't 100 percent compatible with the original. i have never found anything that i couldn't read using AutoCAD LT.

Cons

personally, i just find Autodesk products hard to use. i find them counter-intuitive and hard to understand. it's a user interface thing, and they have stuck with the same interface since they came up with their first products. i have a hard enough time getting it to do what i want, that i will use just about anything for day to day work.

Great for Interior Designers, Architects, Engineers and builders

As an interior designer, drawing space planning layout through autocad saves a lot of time compare to drawing it by hand or even with other similar softwares. Not only space planning drawings but up to elevations and construction drawings.

Pros

I like autocad’s accuracy. There are a lot of copy cat softwares trying to duplicate CAD but nothing can beat Autocad software for Architects, Engineers and designers especially for construction drawings.

Cons

I find it too expensive. Good thing they are coming up with yearly subscriptions which is very helpful for small business owners or even freelance designers like me.

Stuart from Architecture Stuart Hatcher

Industry: Architecture & Planning

The industry standard, but expensive

I'm an architect, and I use this software for all my drawings. It's a fluid design and presentation tool that simply works.

Pros

I've been working with AutoCAD LT for many years, and have tried the other standard options (Microstation and Vectorworks). AutoCAD LT is hands down the most accurate, quickest to draw with, and most likely to be compatible with everything else.

Cons

The cost - the change to a subscription model is understandable, but it screws over those of us who invested in perpetual licences with maintenance. It's also still pretty hopeless at references, which make any file irritatingly slow.

Evgenia from NORR Architects and Engineers LTD.

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Excellent stripped down version of Autocad with attractive pricing

It's an excellent piece of software which essentially strips down the standard Autocad version by removing a few features like 3D modelling. It's enough to accomplish most design tasks and the pricing is a lot more attractive.

Pros

It's a weapon of choice for anyone working in the architectural and design fields. It offers a host of excellent tools that allow you to crate accurate drawings for architectural purposes.

Cons

I haven't found any since this version is a lot lighter than the standard Autocad, hence it runs smoother and I'm able to accomplish my tasks a lot faster.

Great value for simpler projects

Much more cost effective way to use AutoCAD than the full suite. Would not work on larger projects but suits our needs perfectly

Pros

Runs faster due to no 3d elements - great if not using Revit or 3d elements like AutoCAD Architecture

Cons

No complaints, UI is like every other AutoCad version and runs much faster. Only would be a negative if you needed 3d components.

Cost

Curt from Lyndon Heath Cabinetry

AutoCAD LT Review

AutoCAD LT has transformed our drafting department. It provides for a nice transition for our clients to see exactly what they are purchasing to purchasing and manufacturing the product.

Pros

AutoCAD LT is a user friendly, all encompassing design software. The ease of use for our draftsmen is great. The design tools for this software are plentiful.

Cons

There is nothing that I like least about this software except that their customer service could be more helpful especially when it comes to billing.

Andy from SDSP

Industry: Food Production

I use this software mostly for P&ID generation and site GAs.

I have been able to make clean and concise P&ID drawings and layout/utilize GA and elevation drawings of my sites.

Pros

Its very powerful. I am amazed how accurately the Snap functions predict the points I want to measure/draw to. Most things are pretty intuitive and the changes between versions haven't been difficult to figure out. The command bar at the bottom has remained so I have always been able to do what I want even if I can't find the icon. I really like the "area" function when working with GA drawings.

Cons

I think the "Help" portion could be better with links to tutorials. I've had to general "Google" some items to find answers. I wish mobile version was easier to use. I wish there was a large library of blocks available without having to download them. The software is expensive although probably worth it.

Jessica from The Pollard Group

Perfect for drafting in 2D, for a fraction of the cost of a full AutoCAD subscription. Love it!

This software is widely used in the drafting industry, so it is easy to send and receive project files between employees/companies.

Pros

This still has everything I need for 2D drafting, without all the extra frills that I'll never use. It's easy to use once you know all the tools/shortcuts/commands, but there are a lot of them.

Cons

The only downside that I can think of is that the software crashes every now and then, which can be aggravating when you are working on a tight deadline.

AutoCAD LT for Interior Designers

AutoCAD LT has allowed me to use all the necessary functions of autocad to perform my daily tasks as an interior designer. While I didn’t learn autocad using LT, I found that it was an extremely easy transition and that it really allows me to do everything I need to do.

Pros

Cons

Freezes occassionally and restoring isn’t as easy as I’d like. I wish it Autosaved!

Daniel from Jordan Aluminum Company

Useful 2-Dimensional Drawing Software for Professionals

Pros

AutoCAD LT is a pretty powerful 2D drawing software (3D is available with the regular AutoCAD). If you're doing layouts and parts designs, this software can handle that with quite a bit of functionality. It's also very compatible - older files can be opened with newer software, and newer software can save files into older formats for others who are not up-to-date. It's also customizable for the user interface - if you liked the old layout of commands, you can change it. If you like to type your command, you can do that, or if you're better with the mouse and the ribbon, those are also options.

Cons

One of AutoCAD LT's great benefits (Backwards compatibility) could also be holding it back - in order to be compatible it can't quite adapt as quick or as fully as you might expect. With a relatively new ribbon layout along with mouse shortcuts, these concerns are partially eliminated, but it's not quite as quick and clean as other, newer Autodesk software (for example, Inventor). Starting up without any experience is a challenge, but this is true for most 2D or 3D design software.

Bradley from Intralox

Most of the Functionality of the full AutoCAD without most of the Applicational Heft

Overall, AutoCAD LT is perfect for my engineering and drafting needs .

Pros

Most of the time, I don't need the full version of AutoCAD in my day-to-day use. 99% of the time, LT works perfectly for what I need it to, and for the other 1%, I've found other ways to do what needed to be done.

Cons

The only issue is when you aren't able to use a function that is in the full version of AutoCAD but not in the Auto CAD LT

Nice Feature Set for Basic Use

Pros

We edit 2D CAD drawings for uploading to a CNC machine. This was a great lower cost solution for getting into CAD. The cost is more than what we wanted to spend, but pricing is competitive. We could not find anything else out there that could edit in the formats we needed and AutoDesk software has been built up so well over the years that it is comparable to Microsoft office on how standard their software is across industries.

Cons

It is still CAD and is something that takes time to learn. Because of the trimmed down features it can have some odd errors where objects are not read/supported, so they can be edited or removed. We have found a workaround of taking what can be edited to a new drawing and that works. Not a major inconvienence, but an unfortunate workaround. The cost is higher than preferred and can’t just be bought outright, but the price is acceptable.

Jacek from A8Architektura

All the CAD needs

We use it as a our second software along Revit. DWG is a popular format used for publishing technical drawing in many fields and sometimes it is required to edit such files. AutoCAD Lt offer less than regular AutoCAD but still enough to fit our needs.

Pros

Has all the features we require and we don't pay for unused ones. As an Autodesk product it is of highest quiality, as expected - interface, tools, compatibility, all work flawlessly.

Cons

Not out main tool because o it inherited problems - 2d drawings and little automation or bim capabilities.

Pete from PLANS 2 PLANKS

Quarter of the cost

I am a dedicated Autodesk AutoCAD user. I started sing R-13 and I still use Autodesk CAD software to this day

Pros

What I like the most about AutoCAD Lt is its cost. A years subscription can be up to twenty five percent of the original program.

Phillip from Mini-Systems Inc

Inexpensive professional drawing tool

Pros

Has most all features you need for drafting. Autocad sets the standard for drafting software. Most everyone accepts their files and is familiar with it.

Cons

If unfamiliar with Autocad, it can take a little time to get it to do what you need. LT has most features as full blown Autocad but have run into a few that it is missing.

Luke from Leman Engineering & Consulting

Industry: Utilities

The Best Outdated Option

It's probably the best tool for drafting and many engineers right now who have a big budget. But its days are short lived, probably won't last much longer as any basic standard. AutoCad needs to completely reshape itself for the modern era and provide more intuitive controls and tools.

Pros

Standard across engineering, drafting, design, and many other technical and artistic digital studios. Minimalist approach at first take but the amount of options and versatility offered is quickly overwhelming/exciting. AutoCad LT offers a vast collection of tools for basic and advanced drawing. Our engineering firm has always used AutoCad and makes good with full 11x17 standard sized drawings for customers and internal designs. We like the relatively simple arrangement of seemingly endless tools, straight forward learning curve for starting out drafting basic stuff, and default options for professional presentations.

Cons

Extremely expensive for overly complicated software lacking any real updates - see changes from Photoshop CS2 - CS6 and any newer software. AutoCad feels awkward, stupid, and completely outdated. It seems to be falling behind because the majority of users are older and don't want changes. However AutoCad cannot last with this and becomes frustrating to use for more extensive drafting. There are no options for speeding up and simplifying multiple pages for one larger project. AutoCad makes everything difficult and puts extra steps into some tools. There are some tools that are way more complicated than they should be. I don't think we will use AutoCad long term. It's way too expensive, too complicated, isn't evolving into an easier to use and better setup engineering tool, and obviously isn't getting any better with age.

Morgan from Naylor Wentworth Lund Architects

The lighter version of AutoCAD

Pros

Most of us don't use all of the tools that AutoCAD has to offer. The 3D portion of it and the rendering capabilities. This was never AutoCADs strong point anyways so AutoCAD lT is a more efficient package. If you are doing simply construction documents this is a cheaper and adequate program to get the job done. Its the tried and true drafting program that everyone in the Architecture and Engineering industry use.

Cons

The only cons are its limited 3D capabilities, which in todays world is pretty necessary. BIM is the way to go and is a much better way to be building nowadays anyways. If you can pony up the extra money, go for Revit.

AutoCad LT

Pros

Cons

The online portion of Autodesk is not easy to turn off and there are functions that I never use that I can not remove. The cloud function should be easier to turn off.

Robert from Yorke and Curtis Inc

Autodesk CAD LT is a great 2D tool

Overlaying MFEP drawings and obtaining dimensions for onsite coordination.

Pros

I have been a CAD user since 2005 but more extensively 2007 when I started working at an architecture firm. I love the xref portion and the ability to layer drawings. I like that users can pay to use on a monthly basis instead of buying license packages etc.

Cons

I wish all AutoCAD LT drawings when in sheet mode had the ability to create a revision history log - which could be turned on/off. Sometimes when the architect/engineer releases new sheets it is hard to keep track of revision history (for guys in the field). The log could contain revision history number and description for 'future' tracking purposes.

Ciprian from PRHP

Affordable solution that will get the job done

got the job done

Pros

Best bang for your money as long as you don't need the 3D and other features from the more expensive editions.

Cons

Somewhat limited functionality which can get frustrating at times. Make sure you go over the features to ensure that it will fit your needs.

Raquel from Gobierno del Distrito Capital - Corporación de Servicios

A 2D awesome software for design

Pros

For people who only likes to work in two dimensions this is the best choice. Another version of Autocad are very heavy and has all that options of 3D and rendering that I never use, but this one is perfect for me. In Autocad LT I can manage a huge range of tools for design any kind of plans, it has also a very easy interphase to work that do not require command line to work, in this version you can use PDF files and Bing maps which is very useful in some cases. The import of PDF files is secure and precise, and has a better objet selection tio improve your work. This is version is what I person like me needs to do plans and excellent designs in two dimensions.

Cons

The software ahs a lot of details, but with some practice you can handle perfectly, this is not a software for people who loves rendering and 3D models, this is for professionals who make plans in two with accuracy and detail.

Simo from Eviko

Industry: Civil Engineering

Easiest way to make drawings

Pros

Product is very cheap compared to the 3D version. It is very easy to use, when you know hotkeys by heart.

Cons

Some hatching issues sometimes. Hatch generator cant understand if lines are connected or not.

A great alternative to AutoCAD full version

Pros

Since this is a light version with lesser capabilities, it makes the software run faster and smoother on low end machines

Cons

Although it is a lighter version, the subscription amount per month is almost at par with the full version.

Seth from NFPS

One of the Best CAD Products Out There

Helps us do CAD and save money as it is cheaper than the full version.

Pros

Love AutoCAD LT. It’s a cheaper alternative to the full blown version, and works great.

Cons

It would be nice to have some of the features in full blown AutoCAD.

Ken from Ken.E.Cad

AutoCAD on the Go

I'm able to edit and create drawings on the go. I currently use a Microsoft Surface Go and I find that having the lite version of the software to be very helpful for me and those who work with me.

Pros

Ease of use and the ability to install it on a tablet.

Cons

Randomly crashes when there is more than one application or other software.

Reasons for Choosing AutoCAD LT

I'm familiar with AutoCAD mechanical layout.

The Perfect Software for 2D Drawing

I am really satisfied with AutoCAD LT's usability and functionality. It is a great software for Engineers and engineering students also.

Pros

This is a software which provides with all the features of 2D drawing. As a building engineer I use this software on a weekly basis for my work. Its ease of use and functionality has resisted myself from choosing any other CAD software over this.

Cons

No cons actually. It would be better if 3D drawing was available in the software. It would lessen the hassle of exporting the project to another 3D rendering software.

Stephane from Goliath Tech Piles Inc

Best 2d program

Fast to draw any concept you have in mind.

highly recommended

he best way to get your Autocad license and transferible, not limited to one personal Computer.

Pros

the best and quick way to getyour licensed Autocad

Cons

you need to log with an account and the account must be active

James from Superhero Strength

I have been using autocad LT for all of my technical drawings

Autocad lt is a simple to use 2d version of autocad that can produce very high quality plans and technical drawings.

Pros

Cons

Sometimes the program may crash or shut down unexpectedly. If the autosave feature is not enabled this can lead to a huge loss in work.

Amer from IPSA

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Auto CAD is very nice software for anything to planning,drawing and designing.

Pros

I like a commands in program and type of program structure.That is very easy to use.

Cons

Program is not related to other design and planning programs.

SEAN from Armstrong Steel

Industry: Building Materials

Powerful CAD Program

Pros

It has more features than any other CAD program we have used.

Cons

Had some issues during initial installation and setup, but nothing that bad.

Marcus from DAI environmental

Industry: Environmental Services

Powerful program

Wonderful!

Pros

The ease of commands and customization layout

Cons

Sometimes runs a little slow. Doesn't handle large PDF external references too well

Mattia from MJS Planning & Design

Industry: Architecture & Planning

The basic requisite for an architectural professional

Pros

It's easy to use, but with a great range of functions and a large options to personalize

Cons

Some differences between AutoCAD (-non LT) makes this program a step back