All Bluebeam Revu Reviews

Excellent quantity survey tool

Gregg

Reviewed July 2021

Move Over Adobe, Bluebeam is Better

A great alternative to Adobe…much more user friendly and affordable.

PROS

Bluebeam has better features and is easier to use than Adobe. The cost is much less when you consider payments are not indefinite.

CONS

Nothing bad to report. Bluebeam is far superior to Adobe. So far we have not found any flaws in the software.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

Bluebeam works better with our with our other programs and internal system.

Joshua

Civil Engineering, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed September 2023

Amazing PDF reader, better than Adobe Acrobat. Very useful engineering tools

This is the fastest tool when it comes to drawing review, pdf document creation and control, and diagram creation. The tools at your disposal allow you to do many things which other programs do not. I would recommend this software over any other PDF reader.

PROS

Very handy and intuitive engineering tools, you can mark up drawings, get measurements and estimate quantities very easily. The drawings tools are also very useful, allowing for easy creation of clean diagrams. The PDF tools are powerful and I have completely phased out Adobe Acrobat in favour of using Bluebeam.

CONS

The only downside I have come across is the inability to created lines of fixed length, you have to create a measurement and then create a line to match the measurement.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

Adobe is harder to use and not as intuitive or sophisticated when it comes to editing tools as Bluebeam. As a PDF reader Bluebeam loads and displays files much better than Adobe, it optimised well and rarely crashes and doesn't have the same visual bugs than Adobe often has.

Thomas

Construction, 1,001-5,000 employees

Powerful software with limits

PROS

Able to manage and manipulate multiple pieces of construction information. Useful to quickly design markups in a more time efficient manner than autocad

CONS

Runs into software limitations when advanced use occurs

JEFFREY

Construction, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2019

Great software-Terrible customer service

The customer service-technical help is just horrendous. Their 'technicians' are just phone operators, many with very bad attitudes (if I worked for a company with these policies I'd be grumpy too!) but read on... Anything beyond the very basics like opening the program or setting up menus are completely beyond their abilities. To make matters MUCH worse they have no escalation policy at all. Read that again; a SOFTWARE company has zero escalation policy. Who you get, regardless of whether they can actually answer your question, is who you get (I was TOLD this -it's recorded too- by an operator! If they don't know something (most of the time) they put you on hold for 5-10 minutes while they go ask someone who supposedly does. Invariably there is a follow up question (or more likely, they just have the wrong answer) and so they put you on hold for ANOTHER 10 minutes. When you ask to be transferred to the person they obviously keep putting you on hold to ask, you are rebuffed. Ask harder, in fact DEMAND to be connected to a qualified tech often enough and they will revoke your service contract. Read that again, if you complain too much they will FIRE YOU instead of fix their internal problems! Eventually I was able to work out an 'email only' connection to a senior tech who actually HAS the answers, but by revoking my service, they also robbed me of my updates so I can't even benefit from all the work I've put into helping them improve their product.

PROS

It is hands down the most powerful PDF editor available today. As of v. 2018.6 they have fixed MOST of the issues that made it crash (but not quite all) and I can operate this software for an average of 9 hours a day without too much cursing at the screen. Takeoff is WYSIWYG and once you learn the product, very adaptable to whatever way you like to work. Another terrific feature is the 'slipped plans' feature where you can slipp addendum plans together with existing plans and transfer all of your current takeoff without loss. No other takeoff software allows this kind of functionality. The ability to automatically generate 'links' within the drawings (from flags to the correct page indicated by the flag) is also very valuable. Other programs DO provide this, but Bluebeam is much more accurate and faster.

CONS

The exporting function. Only allows limited functionality (.csv .xml .pdf and print) and Nemetschek refuses to work with us to provide access to the API so we can truly integrate the takeoff with our ERP system. It functions but it could be SO much more. The tech help was TERRIBLE! First, they refuse to help unless you grant them remote access to your machine ( I won't). Then they cant actually do their job. See below for a full description;

Reason for choosing Bluebeam Revu

Much more powerful, built specifically for the kind of work I do

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

The company I went to work for did not use OST and asked me to research other options that may be better. The service problem I did not discover until too late.

Amy

Reviewed November 2023

Bluebeam Revu

I was a little hesitant at first when my company switched from Adobe to Bluebeam, but now that I have gotten use to the program I would never want to go back to Adobe.

PROS

It's easy to mark up PDF files. In the construction industry, we make markups on blueprints and submittals. It's also easy for material take-offs with the measuring tools.

CONS

I still haven't been satisfied with all the toolbars and their locations. I have a tool bar on the top, side and bottom and I haven't figured out how to make it so I can just show the tools that I use the most.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

It was a company decision to switch everyone in the office to Bluebeam.

Lap

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2021

Blue beam review

It is my preferred PDF editor and I constantly use it to make edits

PROS

It is very user friendly and very intuitive. The dashboards are set up similar to acad and I can draw pretty well. The editing features are also top notch.

CONS

It is a bit pricey for a PDF editor. You can get adobe versions much cheaper and while it maybe less functional, the adobe programs do work ok.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

Blue beam was more functional and user friendly.

Gloria

Reviewed December 2023

Bluebeam Revu raving results

PROS

Once I learned how to use it there was no going back to Adobe. Blue Beam has management tools that improve review speed and accuracy.

CONS

Thelearning curve if you really want to use the product the correct way.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

The company needed a more functional software for our needs.

HAFIZ USMAN

Civil Engineering, 10,000+ employees

Blie beam for collaboration

I am okay with using it. However not happy with sudden shutdown.

PROS

It’s easy to collaborate and add comments.

CONS

The program cannot handle large files and closes without any notice.

Erin

Construction, 51-200 employees

An essential software

Excellent, really can’t fault it and will continue to use

PROS

It’s an excellent software for so many varying uses! I mainly use it to edit documents.

CONS

It needs a large monitor as the tools take up a lot of room on the screen ideally.

Ashwitha

Government Relations, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed January 2024

Action tool for a Document editor

PROS

You will be notified via emails when you have access to project and the file.

CONS

When the system fails ,I was not able to figure out , and had to reach out to the Bluebeam team for clarity.

Audrey

Civil Engineering, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed May 2022

Such as useful tool

A useful tool I've been using since 2016. The private consulting industry has basically embedded this software into their workflow. Sadly, probably due to its cost, the public sector/client dont tend to use Bluebeam or they have the entry level version without all the features.

PROS

Bluebeam works perfectly with drafting and producing drawings through Civil 3D. It's quick and convenient to use for engineering drawings. One particularly great feature, is the ability to calibrate your own scale and measure quantities to scale. It is a great tool for producing markups and redlines on PDFs to share with the team. Before the pandemic, we occasionally did the markups and comments by hand, now it's exclusively all through PDF markups.

CONS

When they have yearly program version updates, they tend to change the UI around so it takes some time to relearn the Bluebeam features. For the polyline feature, it's annoying having to press enter to finalize the command and save the line drawn (especially if it's not a close polygon). I use this tool daily and it's extremely annoying when I lose my line! I would love it if they made it so a right-click during the command saves and exits so I can complete the entire command with my mouse.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

It's still important to have Adobe Acrobat as well since some (government/official) forms only work properly with Adobe.

Reviewed October 2020

Must have software for engineering companies

We use Bluebeam on a daily basis for the organization of drawing sets and reports. Bluebeam makes it possible to collaborate on project review with local and remote personnel. Bluebeam makes it possible to help reduce paper waste and to maintain project records for quality controls.

PROS

The robust features of Bluebeam make this essential software for engineering companies. Mark up and organize drawings, compare versions of documents, OCR capabilities, and online collaboration are just some of the many features.

CONS

Sometimes the icons are not as intuitive to me as they should be. Would be nice if Bluebeam would incorporate the Ribbon format that many other programs use.

Reason for choosing Bluebeam Revu

Bluebeam is available at a better price point and provides superior capabilities to Adobe PDF markup products.

Aditya

Civil Engineering, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed August 2022

The best software for engineers!

I am very satisfied with the BlueBeam and its capabilities. It makes my work more manageable and accessible.

PROS

BlueBeam supports many different file formats compared to Adobe Reader. It can open Image files and can open Internet browser through it. This makes it one stop solution station for multiple problems. It reduces workload. BlueBeam allows sessions that can be used by multiple organizations and trades and same time. This save project budget and time.

CONS

BlueBeam can not open 2 online sessions at same time. In order to that, you have to exit out of one session to access another. This is time consuming and unnecessary.

Reasons for switching to Bluebeam Revu

Less Cost, more features, ease of deployment

Nathan

Reviewed February 2020

The Third Hand

We have designers that draw projects with a different program. Once that project is drawn, it gets sent to all the personal that need to look at it and use it for their specific tasks. BlueBeam makes it so I can get my notes and my measurements fast and easy. For example, when I am with a client making siding selection, I can add the note right on the plan with there Text tab. Simple and easy. When they want to change a window location, neat, crisp lines can be drawn to show were it should go. Bluebeam also helps me daily when I receive PDF documents from vendors or suppliers.

PROS

It is my go-to program to look at and edit PDF's. When one has to measure something, its easy to use and easy to give accurate information to the project managers, vendors, & suppliers. Easy to add notes and clean up PDF's to make them look and say the things you want. Like the fact my toolbox is saved and can be used over and over. While I was filling this out, a sub called and asked a question about a plan. I used Revu to answer the question because its quick and easy to get the information they are looking for.

CONS

Learning the way the Revu works takes time. Once you figure it out, its great though. I had to have someone else that had used Revu before set up my toolbox and headers because trying to do it myself was taking so long. Mostly that is my own fault but getting a program tailored to yourself should not be hard to set up. There is not much I don't like about the this program.

Reason for choosing Bluebeam Revu

Bluebeam Revu was being used by another team-member and it was doing everything we needed a PDF program to do. Bought another Revu version and have liked how it has been able to do everything we need it too.

Reviewed October 2017

Bluebeam Revu is to construction professionals what Excel is to finacial professionals

More than any other software package, Bluebeam is by far the most valuable to me in my daily work. Thanks Bluebeam!

PROS

I have been using BB Revu PDF software since 2010, when I switched from Adobe Professional. Revu is designed for construction personnel. I use it for reviewing documents and drawings, marking up, sketching, quantity take off, illustrating, presentations, flowchart and Org Chart creations - just almost everything. I convert word documents to PDF for reviewing. I add bookmarks as way-finder through large documents such as Specifications, Reports and Specifications etc. For drawing reviews or study, I compile large packs of PDF drawings into single PDF with drawing numbers visible under Bookmarks. With Revu you can have 2 (or more)drawings opened on your screen, from within the combined pack or separate files, for comparing eg Elevations and Sections or plans or details. Sometimes I use the auto compare feature in comparing updated drawing with an older version where the differences will be highlighted. The Search feature is extremely useful and I use it a lot in finding references in Specifications Codes and Reports etc. The Spaces feature is really good and impresses hugely when included within presentations. Signature feature also excellent. I use the Add Ins for Outlook, Word, Excel and CAD regularly. I find the Help Section and Bluebeam University incredible. The Developers really put themselves in the place of the "normal" user and provide excellent vide demos of all the features.

CONS

File sizes generated in marking up and sketching tend to be quite large. There are ways to reduce the file size but they do not work all the time - sometimes they increase the size.I have tried a few times to engage design consultants in the use of the Studio feature for real-time online collaboration without success. This is however is not the fault of the Studio feature - its just that the designers did not have the software.

Tyler

Reviewed July 2018

BlueBeam is a MUST for Construction!

PROS

I can't say enough good things about this software using it in the construction industry. I have used multiple different PDF editors but nothing comes close to as how good BlueBeam is. There is not much of a learning curve and you can learn the basics very quickly. It goes about as advanced as you would need and can do almost anything. Marking up blueprints is straightforward and easy to do. There are multiple different callout shapes and easily input the tag on it. You can have a favorite toolset on a window for the most frequently used items such as your stamp, signature, check mark, etc... Once you collaborate the blueprint you can measure dimensions, surface, and volume. Bluebeam integrates into most other software such as browsers, Microsoft Excel, and word. It has a quick button in these programs to easily convert it into a PDF inside of Bluebeam. If it does not have integration with the software you can print something and use Bluebeam as a printer to convert it into a PDF inside Bluebeam. You can even set spaces and do punch lists as well. Everyone I work with loves with the product and nobody has a bad thing to say about it.

CONS

The only complaint I have been able to come up with but I'm sure it is user error is that my customized toolbar keeps reverting back to the default. I have locked the toolbar and messed with it but randomly every now goes back. I am unsure why this happens and is pretty frustrating when it does. Other than this no complaints.

Ash

Reviewed June 2022

Easy pdf editing and take off's

Bluebeam Revu is my to go app for pdf viewing, editing and take offs.

PROS

Bluebeam Revu gives you more level of control over pdf's than you can imagine. The number of tools and features are extensive. Take offs and commenting is the least you can expect from Bluebeam.

CONS

Although Bluebeam Revu has a very good take off facility, the labelling could have been better.

Chase

Building Materials, 11-50 employees

Reviewed February 2018

Easy to use. Lot of functionality.

Quickly and easily edit PDFs. More powerful and functional than most of the basic PDF applications available. Merge documents from a Windows Explorer window.

PROS

Bluebeam has a lot of buttons and features out-of-the-box. The default layout is intuitive. Quickly and easily add text, highlights, shapes, callouts, and lines to PDFs. The buttons for rotating the page are readily available. Taking snapshots/copies, cropping, and other editing functions are easy. Bluebeam has measurement tools so you can easily get dimensions off of plans. There are tons of keyboard shortcuts and "toolboxes" that allow you to perform repetitive tasks quickly. Customize stamps to create signatures or other repetitive text like "Reviewed By..." or dynamic shop drawing stamps (like "Make Corrections Noted"). Flatten tool allow you to lock your edits into place. Security features are also available. Bluebeam also allows you to merge/staple multiple sheets together and further manipulate pages within a document.

CONS

Bluebeam provides a lot of functionality, but depending on your needs you may be able to use something cheaper and less functional. You should weigh your need for a tool like this. The "Staple" function for combining files within a Windows Explorer window/menu could be a little simpler. It currently brings up a dialogue box that is overly complicated and not intuitive. Other software like Adobe Acrobat allow you to do this much easier with only a few mouse clicks.

Construction, 5,001-10,000 employees