• Pros

• "I cannot begin to tell you the benefits of this program, I love the ease of use, the flexibility and the amount I can get done in this program. I absolutely love it. "

• "I love this program and the functionality that goes along with it. Being able to manipulate PDF's the way this allows you to do is amazing!"

• "Very simple to use and very intuitive. The buttons are easy to find and it is fairly easy to catch on. "

• Cons

• "It can be cumbersome to learn some of the steps in creating and/or modifying PDFs, but there are tons of training materials available."

• "Glitches every once in a while, but not enough to complain."

• "The greatest strength is also it's greatest weakness. The plethora of options and tools are amazing, but can be confusing to a newer user. "

Browse Bluebeam Revu Reviews

Clarissa from J. Scull Construction Service

Very comprehensive pdf editing software - I'll never go back to Adobe!!!

I spend a lot less time posting changes and as-builts, but with much more professional results. I also love the time it's cut down on creating our punch lists and tracking the completion of those items.

Pros

I love that it can "read" my plans, and help me with my takeoffs. The search function can look for either words or symbols, and is incredibly useful when I'm looking for something specific. The different user type profiles are tailored to show the tools and functions that someone in that role would be more likely to use the most. It's easy to switch between these profiles, even when viewing the same file, so no matter what or how many hats I'm wearing that day, it's easy to find the tools that I need for the job I'm doing. The customizable tool box is great - I can use the existing tools, or create my own! These are handy for posting as-builts, as well as for doing take offs and estimates. I love all the short cut keys!! Instead of using my mouse to select tool options, I can simply use the "G" key to take a "photo" of a certain part of my open file, or "C" to cloud an area. I use these frequently and it really cuts down the time I spend posting changes to our drawings. There are so many tools, functions, and options, that you're sure to find everything you need for seamless and efficient construction drawing management!

Cons

At first, it was a bit overwhelming to use. There are so many tools and menus that it definitely took a little time to learn; however, Bluebeam offers hundreds of short "how-to" videos on many different topics. After watching these, and using the software for a few weeks, it got much easier.

Paul from Pacific West Builders

Should not be an Option - Should be Mandatory

I can't imagine doing my job without access to Bluebeam. I use it that much. For that many different things.

Pros

Bluebeam is so versatile. I can create and/or modify all my RFI's, shop drawings, and detail clarifications from various professional sources - all in one package. I'm surprised at how often I find new ways to make use of the standard tools included with the software.

Cons

Bluebeam does have some issues reading some fonts. Not sure what the deal is, but some pdfs show up looking like a crude binary system.

Reasons for Choosing Bluebeam Revu

Versatility and price. You can't lose with this software. Easy to complex - it can handle it all.

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

Bluebeam is more stable - Adobe would crash on me. Also - a lot more features out of the box.

Joshua from Venture Architecture

Untrustworthy Developer - Dropped the ball

Pros

Brings a lot of features and functionality missing from Acrobat. To my knowledge, no other PDF software is geared towards the A+E market. I wish there was another one out there so that these guys didn't have a monopoly on the market. It has given them a sense of invincibility that has led to stagnation and a lack of genuine support for their customers.

Cons

I've been using Revu for about 8 years, 5 of those on Windows. The last 3 are at my most recent job, and when I found out that Bluebeam had created a Revu for Mac, I was quick to push our company to adopt. I even gave a lunchtime presentation to show everyone some of the really powerful features I had come to know and love from the windows side. Playing with the trial version of 1.0, though, I quickly realized that a ton of features were absent from the windows version. I went ahead and gave the presentation anyway, though and with some convincing, we bought seats for everyone. It became clear within the first week of using the software, though, that it was incredibly slow. So slow as to be unusable. It took several seconds to render every page... considering that we regularly deal with 100+ page architectural sets, this made the program worthless in a lot of cases. What's more we really felt the lack of some features from the windows side, many of which were so basic that it's laughable that Bluebeam decided not to invest in them. You can't crop pdfs for instance. Anyway, when bluebeam for mac 2.0 came out, we bought in thinking that we'd be getting all of the features that we were missing along with performance improvements. Turns out they decided to revamp the UI with almost 0 feature inclusions. The performance of page rendering was significantly improved, which was helpful, although page thumbnails now no longer load.

Because Revu has tools and functionality geared towards the A+E Market

Bluebeam - a complete pdf pack

If tour are typical and Adobe or Foxit user, just try the Bluebeam revu. It owns some unique pdf features you will definitely to love.

Pros

There are so many PDf readers and editors available on the market with restricted features, and Bluebeam covers almost each and every feature. Its user friendly for editing ad commenting on PDF & almost can get accurate values for measuring the distances. Text recognizing mechanism (OCR) almost accurate for every scenario. The inbuilt converter helps us to convert our PDFs to other formats hassle-free.

Cons

I really dont have any cons regarding Bluebeam revu. It's a fantastic and complete tool for all your pdf needs. It's worth the money.

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

Always took some extra time for initial loading and ADOBE bot smooth enough for my day to day pdf need.

Ann from IIG Design

Great program for PDFs

It has been a great program to learn because it has made reviewing PDFs much easier and the online sessions have made collaboration easier with remote workers

Pros

Bluebeam is a very good program with lots of features. I was hesitant to transition to Bluebeam from Abobe Acrobat because it's a different way of working, but once I got used to it, I would not want to go back. It's a great program especially for the design field, such as architects, interior designers, engineers, etc. There are lots of annotation that come in standard that can be used to redline files such as door swings, elevation tags, etc and lower the amount of time that it takes to redline documents. Another thing I really like about Bluebeam is the ability to create sessions which allow multiple people in the same file at the same time and gives the ability to do live markups. This really helps with expediting the review process of documents and allows people to collaborate even while remote

Cons

It's not the most intuitive program and took some time to learn to maneuver it, but once you're used to the program, there are not a lot of negatives

Justin from Old Dominion Insulation

2nd to none

Bluebeam compliments our takeoff program very well. It is very useful for generating individual files out of a large set that are uniquely named by the drawing number and name (or however you wish to name them), which then allows me to import those files into the program without the need for manually typing in the descriptions. Saves an inordinate amount of time at the start of a takeoff for each job.

Pros

There is no PDF program out there to my knowledge that comes anywhere close to this program when it comes to the construction industry. We have been using this program for 6 years now, and the advancements the developers have made have been fantastic. All of our estimators and project managers have at least Bluebeam Revu, some have Extreme. The text recognition for creating page labels/bookmarks is fantastic (has improved greatly over time). The Sets feature is top notch as well, particularly for keeping up with jobs that have numerous revised drawing sets. The takeoff module is quite powerful, although we do not really take advantage of it's full potential as we already had an on-screen takeoff program.

Cons

I honestly have not been a huge fan of the new look in the 2018 version, but that's probably just because I was used to the old look after years of use. Some of our users are overwhelmed with all of the options, buttons, and menus, but that's really just the nature of the beast with a program with so many tools.

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

A new hire had used it at their previous place of employment, and highly recommended it.

Jennifer from Pence Construction

Necessary in the Construction Industry

I have used this software everyday since joining the construction industry. Like every software there are glitches, however the benefits MAJORLY outweigh the pitfalls.

Pros

Every day I am learning about a new feature that makes life even easier in the industry. Love their takoff capabilities, measuring, stamps, and just the general fact that I can view PDFs and manipulate them. I have had VERY few complaints over the many years I have used this software.

Cons

Like all softwares, there are glitches. One bummer is the lack of integration on android phones. There was also an issue with integrating the software with an apple update; this was resolved fairly quickly though.

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

Mainly by need, but once I saw the benefits of Bluebeam, I was quite happy with the switch.

James from AME Consulting Engineers

Must have software for engineering companies

We use Bluebeam on a daily basis for the organization of drawing sets and reports. Bluebeam makes it possible to collaborate on project review with local and remote personnel. Bluebeam makes it possible to help reduce paper waste and to maintain project records for quality controls.

Pros

The robust features of Bluebeam make this essential software for engineering companies. Mark up and organize drawings, compare versions of documents, OCR capabilities, and online collaboration are just some of the many features.

Cons

Sometimes the icons are not as intuitive to me as they should be. Would be nice if Bluebeam would incorporate the Ribbon format that many other programs use.

Reasons for Choosing Bluebeam Revu

Bluebeam is available at a better price point and provides superior capabilities to Adobe PDF markup products.

Danielle from Perry Roofing Contractors

I can't live without Bluebeam

I honestly love Blue beam I was only using Adobe about 5 1/2 years ago and my supervisor made me start using Bluebeam and told me you will learn to love and not be able to use anything else, well he was right.

Pros

I love being able to mark up documents, measure them, sign them all in once place. I use bluebeam every hour of the day and it makes my job easier.

Cons

I don't like when their are updates that are taking place and it causes me to not be able to use some functions or certain features stop working correctly due to the update needed.

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

Needed a program that worked better with plans/specs for our company there are things that bluebeam can do that Adobe can't.

Abhishek from Taylor Smyth Architects

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Makes life much easier for a project manager

Great Its like once you go Bluebeam you never go back. Its my go to software when editing pdf's and reading through reports etc.

Pros

I like its ability to read and navigate and edit PDF's with easy and precision. Bluebeam has thought of everything when it comes to going through a PDF. There are tons of incredible features that help make my life easier.

Cons

It is a bit pricy and its doesn't do much more than edit pdf's (unlike adobe cc suite which edits pdf's in all kinds of ways) There are so many features I havent used 95% of them... so i dont even really know the software that ive been using for almost a year.

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

Bluebeam is easier to use and offers a faster efficient experience

Aditya from Stantec Inc

Best software fo AEC industry

I have been using BlueBeam for more than 3 years. I have worked as a Contractor, Engineer while using BlueBeam. It has been the greatest tool that Construction industry personal can have. Must buy for Engineers and architects. Bluebeam has saved me tonns of time for editing files/documents and reviewing drawings for construction. I am very happy to have this software on my personal computer as well as work computer

Pros

User Interface for Bluebeam is very simple and brilliant. You can clearly see all tools/items that you can use. The ease of access and availability of many editing options very quickly are one of the big time savers.

Cons

Only issue that I ever faced is, Bluebeam takes more space on your computer compared to Adobe Acrobat reader. Sometimes it lags in operation if you are using heavy softwares like AutoCAD,/ Revit at the same time. This probably can be fixed by having better configuration of computer. But software maker should really focus on reducing the software file size after installing.

Reasons for Choosing Bluebeam Revu

Bluebeam has more functions and tools at disposal. Fast customer service. More value for same money.

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

Adobe Acrobat provides less functions and tools compared to Bluebeam. The User Interface for Acrobat is difficult. It is time consuming to use Acrobat and mainly, it is expensive.

Nathan from Bruckelmyer Brothers Construction

The Third Hand

We have designers that draw projects with a different program. Once that project is drawn, it gets sent to all the personal that need to look at it and use it for their specific tasks. BlueBeam makes it so I can get my notes and my measurements fast and easy. For example, when I am with a client making siding selection, I can add the note right on the plan with there Text tab. Simple and easy. When they want to change a window location, neat, crisp lines can be drawn to show were it should go. Bluebeam also helps me daily when I receive PDF documents from vendors or suppliers.

Pros

It is my go-to program to look at and edit PDF's. When one has to measure something, its easy to use and easy to give accurate information to the project managers, vendors, & suppliers. Easy to add notes and clean up PDF's to make them look and say the things you want. Like the fact my toolbox is saved and can be used over and over. While I was filling this out, a sub called and asked a question about a plan. I used Revu to answer the question because its quick and easy to get the information they are looking for.

Cons

Learning the way the Revu works takes time. Once you figure it out, its great though. I had to have someone else that had used Revu before set up my toolbox and headers because trying to do it myself was taking so long. Mostly that is my own fault but getting a program tailored to yourself should not be hard to set up. There is not much I don't like about the this program.

Reasons for Choosing Bluebeam Revu

Bluebeam Revu was being used by another team-member and it was doing everything we needed a PDF program to do. Bought another Revu version and have liked how it has been able to do everything we need it too.

Michael from Linesight

Bluebeam Revu is to construction professionals what Excel is to finacial professionals

More than any other software package, Bluebeam is by far the most valuable to me in my daily work. Thanks Bluebeam!

Pros

I have been using BB Revu PDF software since 2010, when I switched from Adobe Professional. Revu is designed for construction personnel. I use it for reviewing documents and drawings, marking up, sketching, quantity take off, illustrating, presentations, flowchart and Org Chart creations - just almost everything. I convert word documents to PDF for reviewing. I add bookmarks as way-finder through large documents such as Specifications, Reports and Specifications etc. For drawing reviews or study, I compile large packs of PDF drawings into single PDF with drawing numbers visible under Bookmarks. With Revu you can have 2 (or more)drawings opened on your screen, from within the combined pack or separate files, for comparing eg Elevations and Sections or plans or details. Sometimes I use the auto compare feature in comparing updated drawing with an older version where the differences will be highlighted. The Search feature is extremely useful and I use it a lot in finding references in Specifications Codes and Reports etc. The Spaces feature is really good and impresses hugely when included within presentations. Signature feature also excellent. I use the Add Ins for Outlook, Word, Excel and CAD regularly. I find the Help Section and Bluebeam University incredible. The Developers really put themselves in the place of the "normal" user and provide excellent vide demos of all the features.

Cons

File sizes generated in marking up and sketching tend to be quite large. There are ways to reduce the file size but they do not work all the time - sometimes they increase the size.I have tried a few times to engage design consultants in the use of the Studio feature for real-time online collaboration without success. This is however is not the fault of the Studio feature - its just that the designers did not have the software.

Dani from The Hansen Company

Far superior than Adobe for construction

First, let me start by saying I have the Extreme version and create forms and use the JavaScript features frequently. I switched to Revu because Adobe wasn't giving me what I needed and that was software that could automate many of the tasks I was performing at the time. For example, to process one submittal, I had to combine the pages from one file with the submittal cover page, stamp it, add the date and signature of the person approving the submittal, flatten the markups so no one could edit them, and then save them on a network drive. With Revu I was able to click one icon and do all that from inserting the page, stamping/flattening, and prompting me to save on the network. It saved me so much time! I was able to create custom stamps for all our coordinators to use.

Pros

Suited for construction work, not just documents. It lets me do so much so easily. I can overlay drawings and find where things have changed. This works for contracts too. I can overlay the pages and see if the sub revised the document at all. I can easily markup drawings without any CAD experience needed. I can create forms from PDFs.

Cons

It takes a little while to learn the program because many icons are unfamiliar at first. And because it can do so much, there are so many icons. But I was able to customize my layout so it narrowed down my available icons to just the ones I use regularly. It's only a con for the first month of learning the program. Same for creating forms. As you start to work with it, you learn the tricks to making them easily, but at first it can be difficult. Most of the functions are similar to Adobe, but the one that I had to get used to was copying pages from one document to another. I used to open two separate Adobe windows and then click and drag pages from one into another. Revu only has one thumbnail view pane available at a time, so I had to modify my steps by copy and pasting pages from one document into another.

Scott from Premier flooring

Lengthy enjoyable experience with this software.

My overall experience was stellar. To import plans was so easy and other softwares this is not the case. Many other software would take 2-4 additional steps just to import blueprints. Where as Bluebeam is basically one step. The software runs rather fast with hardly resizing delays , I have used similar softwares after acquiring Bluebeam and on the same computer I experienced resizing delays on the similar software, where Bluebeam had no issues.

Pros

The most important part of this software was the complete ease of use. With no experience with estimating software, I was able to jump right in and get to work without any training, videos or someone else to teach me the basics. The original layout and key icons made everything simple but necessary.

Cons

The first major issue I incurred was learning how to compile all of the data at the finish of gathering the take off( sq ft measurements) this portion of the software was slightly less user friendly when it came to compiling the lists of rooms/areas with the details .eventually after some months of use I began to become familiar with the steps of the software sorting the sq feet and labeling the areas

Reasons for Choosing Bluebeam Revu

We chose Bluebeam was the cost of it. At the time we compared this software with Callidus and realized the more bang for the buck was Bluebeam. Once purchased we had excitement due to such ease of learning and within 1-2 days had the majority of the software learned. I would recommend this to anyone looking to take off digital prints.

Charlie from Havtech

Very Good Functionality and Good Overall Performance for the Money

Our estimating team switched to this from planswift and we've had more people get on board who were doing paper takeoff. While there were definitely some pains with transitioning once we got used to the new layout we came to appreciate some of the additional features Revu has to offer. I would say planswift is a bit quicker for doing small quick takeoffs, but when we do larger jobs and especially jobs with breakouts Bluebeam starts to pull ahead. The biggest timesaver (and reason we switched) is that Revu makes it much easier to hand-off from estimating to sales (due to the fact that it uses pdf/excel files and the fact that it has the spaces feature that allows sales to provide more detailed info/schedule products by room). In addition, it is much easier to use than Adobe Acrobat (or any dedicated takeoff software) for quickly making comments/marking up PDF's for customers. Also, have to commend them for making changes based on customer feedback that greatly improved the takeoff process.

Pros

Lots of different functions (construction takeoff/room scheduling, document mark-up/review, document creation) Customization for different users/tasks through profiles Excel export of markups/takeoff Cheaper than alternative takeoff software Easy to share with others (uses .pdf files) Ability to transition from takeoff to room schedule through spaces feature (big time saver for us as we do lots of air device takeoff) Easy to combine/compare revised drawings to old drawings/takeoff.

Cons

Takes a while to get up to speed on compared to other takeoff software (all the features can get overwhelming) Takeoff functions are not as polished/fast to use as some dedicated takeoff software (although the latest update fixed some of this) Certain PDF's can take long to load/render (rare problem, but very difficult to work around when it happens)

Tyler from Lee Lewis Construction, Inc.

BlueBeam is a MUST for Construction!

Pros

I can't say enough good things about this software using it in the construction industry. I have used multiple different PDF editors but nothing comes close to as how good BlueBeam is. There is not much of a learning curve and you can learn the basics very quickly. It goes about as advanced as you would need and can do almost anything. Marking up blueprints is straightforward and easy to do. There are multiple different callout shapes and easily input the tag on it. You can have a favorite toolset on a window for the most frequently used items such as your stamp, signature, check mark, etc... Once you collaborate the blueprint you can measure dimensions, surface, and volume. Bluebeam integrates into most other software such as browsers, Microsoft Excel, and word. It has a quick button in these programs to easily convert it into a PDF inside of Bluebeam. If it does not have integration with the software you can print something and use Bluebeam as a printer to convert it into a PDF inside Bluebeam. You can even set spaces and do punch lists as well. Everyone I work with loves with the product and nobody has a bad thing to say about it.

Cons

The only complaint I have been able to come up with but I'm sure it is user error is that my customized toolbar keeps reverting back to the default. I have locked the toolbar and messed with it but randomly every now goes back. I am unsure why this happens and is pretty frustrating when it does. Other than this no complaints.

Joey from TEESI Engineering

Excellent PDF mark-up software with time-saving features and intuitive UI. Easy to use and learn.

Pros

There are several features that make this software very useful in engineering and project management. When marking-up PDF drawings or diagrams, the ability scale dimensions and measurements within the software is valuable. Many of the features included with the software are familiar to other software commonly used in the industry, and required no special training to use. I jumped right into using Bluebeam without any training or research, the user interface is that intuitive. Combining, converting, extracting, e-signing, and marking up PDF files has become a simple task which saves a tremendous amount of time. The feature to "lock" or "unlock" amendments to documents with the "flatten" feature is a nice touch.

Cons

Sometimes when converting MS Word docs to PDF using Bluebeam creates anomalies or unwanted formatting changes in the converted/output PDF file. This can be irksome for large documents, as QC of hundreds of pages to ensure document was converted to PDF accurately is sometimes necessary. Usually this only occurs with MS Word docs that use MS features that are not commonly used in document formatting or content. Regardless, peace of mind and confidence in formatting conversion would be nice to have, though this issue is also common to other similar software suites.

Chase from Tella Firma Foundations

Industry: Building Materials

Easy to use. Lot of functionality.

Quickly and easily edit PDFs. More powerful and functional than most of the basic PDF applications available. Merge documents from a Windows Explorer window.

Pros

Bluebeam has a lot of buttons and features out-of-the-box. The default layout is intuitive. Quickly and easily add text, highlights, shapes, callouts, and lines to PDFs. The buttons for rotating the page are readily available. Taking snapshots/copies, cropping, and other editing functions are easy. Bluebeam has measurement tools so you can easily get dimensions off of plans. There are tons of keyboard shortcuts and "toolboxes" that allow you to perform repetitive tasks quickly. Customize stamps to create signatures or other repetitive text like "Reviewed By..." or dynamic shop drawing stamps (like "Make Corrections Noted"). Flatten tool allow you to lock your edits into place. Security features are also available. Bluebeam also allows you to merge/staple multiple sheets together and further manipulate pages within a document.

Cons

Bluebeam provides a lot of functionality, but depending on your needs you may be able to use something cheaper and less functional. You should weigh your need for a tool like this. The "Staple" function for combining files within a Windows Explorer window/menu could be a little simpler. It currently brings up a dialogue box that is overly complicated and not intuitive. Other software like Adobe Acrobat allow you to do this much easier with only a few mouse clicks.

Ana from Neenan

Industry: Architecture & Planning

My favorite software for easy collaboration

Overall one of my favorite tools to use daily. This tool makes my job fun and helps me manage my team and project with less stress and difficulty for me.

Pros

This is easy for even the most computer illiterate person to use. I use this on ever team and always have it open on a monitor - every project I have a bluebeam session for. I find that this tool makes my life easier in collaborative review of drawings, markup and sharing of changes and information, directing people to issues or topics for discussion, and using as a tool to sketch together live while in a virtual meeting.

Cons

The marking complete feature could be less clunky. The pen tool could be vastly improved. Having a way to know if someone did not get in to review by a deadline, or enter the session at all, would be helpful. All in all minor things

Sam from Holder Construction Company

Long Time Bluebeam Revu User - Best Day to Day Software I use

Like I said, I could not function on a daily basis without the use of Bluebeam. I have been a daily user for just about 3 years now and I couldn't say enough good things about this software solution and I know it isn't just the Construction Industry that utilizes this software. Anyone can!! Highly Recommend!!

Pros

Bluebeam is not only a construction industry standard now, it is a necessity!! I use this software on a daily basis and could not function without it. Some people look at it as a replacement for Adobe Acrobat as just a simple PDF viewer but it is so much more than that. I use it to dimension drawings with it's calibration tool, you can extract specific pages from large document packages mark them up and send them out, their OCR feature is something that I know our Project Engineers and Project Managers use all the time as well and that is just a start of what it can do. Highly recommend!! Worth every penny!!

Cons

The cons is simply that there is a learning curve to know how to utilize all of the features it offers. I still learn something new everyday and I have been using it for 2-3 years now. They have great training videos on the website that walk you through Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced features that I would highly recommend.

christian from Okland Construction

Bluebeam is an easy to use PDF viewer with tons of features that make it an all around awesome tool

I have found that Bluebeam can do so many things that I almost don't need to use other software. Previously i used a whole slew of programs to complete various tasks similar to what I mention above but with Bluebeam I have discovered that many of these tasks can be completed in Bluebeam eliminating the need to switch between other software as well as saving costs for software that becomes redundant when weighing the uses of Bluebeam.

Pros

I love how versatile this software is I use it daily for almost everything that I do as a project engineer. I use it for creating RFI, reviewing submittals, rough take-offs, viewing and marking up drawings, and much more. For each of these tasks Bluebeam has tools that make the process easy, quick and accurate.

Cons

I have a hard time finding things that I don't like about Bluebeam, one thing that I have found difficult with Bluebeam is while it has many tools and options it is to the point where it is almost too many tools and options. I have been using the software for close to three years now ona daily basis and I still am learning about the tools and how best to use them. The basic principals and working of Bluebeam is still quite simple but getting into their advanced tools and uses does take an investment of time and practice.

Apeksha from REGAL CALIBRE UK LIMITED

There is nothing better than Bluebeam for PDF editing...!!!!

I am using this great software for some designing works. I can simply edit all my designs as per clients requirements and make them perfect with absolute easy.

Pros

There is no doubt that Bluebeam Revu is the best software available at the market today for viewing and editing PDFs. Software is fairly easy to handle and learn. Free versions are available for use. There are so many editing options, tools and functions are available. PDFs can be converted to word files with high accuracy.

Cons

I absolutely have nothing against the bluebeam revu. Files with macro details takes some times to load and zooming. But that is acceptable.

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

More availability of customization.

Fazal from WATG

The best PDF markup tool for the A&E industry

It makes checking drawings and communicating changes a lot easier. The markup tools are much better than any other similar software I've tried.

Pros

I'm constantly amazed by how many features bluebeam has packed in. The markup tools themselves have a lot flexibility. Being able to scale drawings and generate dimensions and areas is a huge plus. Creating new elements and adding them to your tool chest for future use is also a nice feature to have. The OCR tools are fantastic helping us create bookmarks and labels to navigate large PDFs. We also routinely use the hyperlink tool to create linkable details that make navigating a large drawing set even easier. (I believe this feature is available only in the "Extreme" version). There is also an option to take two versions of a document and compare changes between two versions. Beyond that being able to use blue beam sessions to collaborate with your project team on common markups is a great bonus.

Cons

I would really like the software to have the ability to create preset profiles that automatically set defaults for markup styles and colors.

Bianca from WSP

I consider Bluebeam Revu a necessity for my engineering work.

Overall I think Bluebeam Revu is a wonderful program. It is easy to use and difficult to make mistakes that aren't easily fixed. I think it is a necessity for anyone dealing with official documents, editing PDFs, and working in the architectural/construction industry.

Pros

There are so many pros about this program. My favorite tools would be the calibration tool for verifying and editing architectural plans, the stamp and markup tools for approving and commenting on official documents, and the comparison tool for overlaying revised documents to see design changes. I love that Bluebeam Revu is simple yet sophisticated.

Cons

One con is that whenever I lose network connection, my stamp folder loses the path to my stamp folder. It would be helpful if there was a way to save the default stamp folder so when I regain connection it will automatically connect. Another issue is with flattening. It would be nice if there was a password or something users could share with a team in order for everyone in the team to have access to flattening and unflattening. Perhaps there could be a way to choose whether to only have the user who flattened be able to unlock it or to give access to teams.

Great PDF Editor

Pros

Good price, easy to use. I had been using this software for almost two years, and when it was time for me to buy a PDF editor and after testing a couple, I had no doubt to go for this.

Cons

It seems a bit slower to start than acrobat but that didnt stop me from buying it

Reasons for Choosing Bluebeam Revu

Easy to use and low cost

Michael S. from United Conveyor Corporation

PDF Viewer For Engineering

Overall my experience has been very good. This software basically adds a lot of technical components for PDFs. For example, if you want to sign off on documents, or stamp them with approvals, you can do that easily through Bluebeam.

Pros

The number of functions and versatility of Bluebeam is very good. For my engineering job, Bluebeam is a godsend to be able to mark up documents, sign drawings, flatten documents, import/export other files, etc, etc, etc. I used to use Adobe, but functionality-wise, it is no comparison. If you are going to be working with a lot of PDF's and need technical functions, I think Bluebeam is the way to go.

Cons

I just switched to Bluebeam 2018 from 2016 and there seems to be some bugs. It crashed on me today which it never crashed on me in 2016. I'm hoping an updated can get 2018 working as smoothly as 2016. Besides that, the only thing that I didn't like is that just like with other complex softwares, there are so many functions that it is easy for one to feel overwhelmed by the software. There is a learning curve but after repeated use you can't go back.

Deniel from Kiewit

BlueBeam Review

Markups of documents for red lines and revisions. Calculation area/volume/length of certain items in drawings for use in construction planning and estimating

Pros

Excellent document markup interface, accurate measuring tools for estimating, OCR fairly accurate and tracking of markups

Cons

When integrated with InEight Documents, the time for opening and saving documents is extended. No notification when emailing document if the document is too large. When using print to bluebeam, characters and whole words are not transferred to the Bluebeam version of the document.

Easier markups and tracking

Alan from Jacobs Engineering

The software I never knew I needed

I'm speaking of Revu primarily from a project engineer perspective, working with multi-discipline teams located across the country. Anytime we used to receive a submittal or RFI that requires multi-discipline coordination, you could guarantee that it would be weeks before it was returned. The typical workflow was that only one person had the file at a time, a check-out/check-in kind of system. It would work its way down the chain until all disciplines had a chance to review. For example, an elevator submittal would have to go through Arch to ensure finishes/layout, structural to approve supports and angles, mechanical, electrical, and fire protection for power, machinery, equipment, and sprinklers. By the time each person had a moment to review the submittal, a month could have easily gone by. Then came Bluebeam Revu. All of a sudden I had the ability to create these studio sessions...what a godsend. In an industry where lead times are everything, getting submittal/RFIs back quickly is of paramount importance. So we created accounts for all of our team members and now anytime I receive a submittal that requires multi-discipline coordination, I create a Bluebeam Session with the file uploaded to it. I add all the team members that need to review it to the session and sit back and watch the show. We typically schedule a 1-hour review block where all team members hop onto the session and a conference call and we all review the file CONCURRENTLY. The beauty of Bluebeam software is all the included tools for markups and dimensioning which come absolutely FREE in the "reader" version Bluebeam Vu. So while I pay for my Revu license, all my team members get to access the studio session from a reader they can install for free on their personal computers at home. All markups are tracked by Bluebeam and an ID is attached to each markup so that I can identify who wrote what. It's amazing software. What used to take weeks of being stuck in the pipeline, now gets turned around in a day or two. In addition to sessions, I also take advantage of creating sets for my design team and keep track of all revisions using Bluebeam Revu's smart tagging and revision tracking. Add to that Bluebeam's integration with software like ProjectWise, Outlook, and all Autodesk software, and you've got a serious workhorse on your hands. Revu is more than a simple PDF editor, it is an invaluable tool in the design-construction world. It

Jacob from Encore Electric, Inc.

Not just a PDF viewer!

Bluebeam has increased office productivity tenfold over the years I have seen/implemented it. It really can do whatever you think up, you just need to figure out what you want done.

Pros

EVERYTHING! This software is incredible and to say that you can use it to markup PDF's is just scratching the surface. You can use it as an estimating takeoff tool, estimating database, document control system, cloud document storage and more! Really the list goes on and on for the uses of this tool. I have never been so satisfied by any software as much as I am with Bluebeam Revu. You cant go wrong here, and if you ever do mess something up or think you can't do something, their customer support team is top notch, so you'll be saved by their graces! (Shout out to Amanda Wieting for the impeccable support over the years!)

Cons

Honestly the only thing I have ever not liked about Bluebeam Revu was the UI change they made when going to 2018. They changed the colors around and that's the worst thing that has ever happened with this program.

Angelo from Black & McDonald Limited

Solution for all levels of users

Bluebeam is the best PDF software that I have used, it's easy to do basic functions like merge, cut, reduce file size etc. and also has additional functions such as measurement and markups for drawings which we use a lot of in construction.

Pros

Easy to use basic features, lots of extras that may or may not be required. Customizable options boxes and layouts are a nice feature.

Cons

Took a while to customize layout, which options to show/hide. There are a lot of tools (not a bad thing, but overwhelming at first)

Not enough functionality

Baldemar from DPR Construction

Game Changer

Pros

What is there not to like about Bluebeam? I first started using it when I got in the construction industry in June 2016 and I have never used a PDF editing software that is as user friendly as Bluebeam. There is countless things you can use it for and more than anything, it is the editing options and capabilities that this program has what makes it simply unique. Being able to create a session and invite members to join is quite a unique feature too; I am glad my company uses it for basically everything!

Cons

This isn't a negative comment, as I truly don't have anything bad to say about it, but if anything I would say that I would like to have a bit more training on how to use the software as it updates from one version to the other; I wish there was either trainings or instructional videos that would show the users how it is that a new version of Bluebeam compares to the older one. With that said above, it is by far, the best PDF viewer/editor there is out there!

Glenn from Mid City Electric

Great for estimate take offs

Powerful tool to manipulate pdf's. Definitely use Bluebeam Revu as the default pdf tool.

Pros

Tool sets make mark up easy. Bluebeam Revu is the best for viewing and manipulating pdf's.

Cons

Sometimes customization is a little cumbersome. The process to make custom symbols and color them can be confusing. I do not like the way the audit trail for markups does not stay on the sheet you are working on. Continually have to navigate back the part of the audit trail for that sheet. Combining documents sometimes does not work. Adobe Acrobat is better for basic combining.

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

Saw other people using Bluebeam Revu and liked what they were doing with it.

Muhammad from silverwood land

a great program to use for review and PDF editing

so far its been a great Alternative to Adobe or other programs to edit then share with clients, we use it to make notes on PDF files do quick takeoffs and send as built plans

Pros

when i first started using this program i realized how much better it is than adobe reader, it lets you edit draw lines, add text even do takeoffs on the same sheets. as well as the ability to stamp all the sheets with one click!

Cons

price, has a learning curve , fezzes with very large PDF files

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

easier to use and edit files

Cody from Design Collective Inc

Bluebeam Revu - PDF Productivity

Bluebeam Revu is a terrific tool for processing and editing large documents - ie drawing sets, books, etc., but it's not necessary for smaller pdf viewing/reading tasks. Other pdf editng software are now also quick to provide similar tools in their software so Bluebeam is not the only option.

Pros

Revu made giant leaps for editing and processing pdf's when Adobe and other pdf readers had only viewing and basic editing features. When used properly, Bluebeam Revu can make navigating large documents a breeze. With software plugins for Autodesk Revit, sorting and organizing large sets of documents can be automated from the start, saving lots of time. Drawing and marking up documents in Revu are also a serious plus.

Cons

Newer versions of Bluebeam Revu come with tons of editing tools and features in "toolboxes". There are so many tools and toolboxes, there is now certainly a learning curve before using it to its full potential. Also due to the large amount of tools, loading time for large files and for graphics to present on screen have become longer.

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

AEC industry and ability to link to Revit and hyperlink drawing sheets to each other.

Jesse from Reaveley Engineers + Associates

Industry: Civil Engineering

Best PDF editor I have ever used, Period!

The biggest benefit from the software is that it saves me so much time thus allowing me to be more productive and profitable!

Pros

My favorite feature is the ability to set the scale and take measurements of items that are drawn on the PDF sheets. I am an Engineer so this comes in very handy. I also love that I can quickly sketch details to get to my drafter or a contractor who is working on my project. Revu has a tool chest where I can store my most frequently used mark-ups so I dont have to keep redrawing them. This program is super powerful with the ability to insert images, reduce the file size, and create an open session that multiple people can join into and make markups on the same document simultaneously. Lastly, one of the best features are the keyboard hot-keys - just type [L} to draw a line, [C} to draw a cloud, and so on.

Cons

Since there are so many options, it can be daunting to learn at first, but with use and time it becomes more and more intuitive.

Bluebeam

Bluebeam is my favorite takeoff software, and I have used so many over 20 years of estimating.

Pros

Easy to measure lines and areas. Easy to count items. The ability to organize the items into groups and layers is key to the functionality. Layers are able to be turned on and off. Ability to change size and color of various items is also key.

Cons

Not many Cons. Every once in a while the file size will slow the process down. But other than that, nor Cons.

Company budget

Edwin from Summit AEC

Bluebeam Revu is a fantastic product for viewing, editing and extracting information from PDF files

There are too many efficiency gains to list, but the main ones are automation of repetitive tasks, ability to add an "intelligence" layer (almost like a spreadsheet) to PDFs, the ability to collaborate in real time and make edits to existing pdfs. In the Architecture Engineering and Construction world, this product is king.

Pros

The toolbox is underrated, but it completely sets Revu apart from any other pdf viewer/editors available. It is easy to use, easy to distribute, reliable. Editing is also great for minor edits as well as spotting spelling mistakes. Extracting information from sheets is a breeze as well as the OCR feature if you have the Extreme version. Studio sessions which are also underutilized are a real game changer for real time collaboration.

Cons

The latest release saw some radical changes away from a ribbon-type interface into something more traditional. I have found many tools harder to find and am not convinced of any productivity gains as a result of the interface change.

Jeff from Fortune-Johnson General Contractors

Bluebeam Revu for Construction Managers

I think that Bluebeam is the best PDF manager/user tool created since the original Adobe.

Pros

It is easy, powerful, and allows you to be the master of all documentation. PDF to word conversion, drawings tools, measurement tools, scaled take-offs, etc. etc. Very powerful. The creation, modification, and use of the Stamps is another great tool for the contractor. We use Bluebeam to review, mark, and submit 100% of our shop drawings. We then have to digitally stamp each page and being able to change the date and comments in the stamp so quickly is awesome. It integrates well with PROCORE which is an excellent Management Software. The license is transferable between devices so that I can carry my SINGLE license from my work laptop to my home computer very easily by logging in on my license number.

Cons

Cost could be a factor...although I don't pay the bill at my company so I don't have the answer to the license requirements and costs.

Alec from Ledcor Construction

Excellent Product for PDF's

Overall the product is great. Makes it easy to make changes to PDF's and combined various PDF's into one document.

Pros

Product makes it easy to make changes to existing PDF's as well as combine PDF's together to create one document from multiple PDF's.

Cons

I find that the software takes a long time to load onto my machine whenever I go to open it for the first time each day. Once it has been opened once however, it works well for the rest of the day.

Bailey from collaborative studio

Industry: Architecture & Planning

takes PDF making to a new level

bluebeam has made it easy to collaborate among our team members and communicate project related tasks all in one place.

Pros

bluebeam creates/edits PDF's in a re-imagined way. the tools and functionality are limitless. the studio version makes it easy for an entire team to collaborate on one PDF and mark up revisions as needed.

Cons

you must all be working in the same year version of the software to use studio. sometimes when a file is too big, it will slow down the software and become virtually unusable.

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

adobe did not give us the flexibility and customization that we needed

Cristian from MADSEN CONSULTING ENGINEERING

The Best Pdf Software Out There

We use Bluebeam mainly to review and mark up drawings and it does a great job

Pros

It has a lot of great tools to mark up, modify and create pdf files. Its features are almost close to AutoCad, but for pdf files.

Cons

I don't think there is much that needs to be improved, it's an excellent software and it keeps getting better with each version.

Reasons for Choosing Bluebeam Revu

It's the best out there for what we need

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

Better product for our company

Cristian Sebastian from Construction

Excellent Software

I use it everyday, I am an architect and a Project manager por a General Contractor and Bluebeam makes my life easier !

Pros

This software is simply awesome, I can edit, overlay, print, compare, navigate, rotate and do whatever I want in a PDF document, a really powerfull software.

Cons

I think it if the perfect software, it takes a while to get familiar with the menus when the software gets updated but nothing bad.

Bryan from BCS

Bluebeam for ios has made remote sign-off sheets much easier than the Adobe offering

Pros

Bluebeam has a great user interface and works well with our cad drawings the separate management application make it easy for me to resolve printer stalls or flattening failures that may occur

Cons

the cost is always something we look at, but feel that we are able to highly leverage the product for great value

Alicia from Elson Electric Holdings, Inc.

My Saving Grace

I could not do my job without Bluebeam Revu, this software alone has changed how we do business.

Pros

I love the option to customize tools to fit individual needs and the overlay option to see what changes, if any, there are to updated plan sets.

Cons

I think the software could be a bit cheaper, especially as most softwares going operating on the cloud.

Reasons for Choosing Bluebeam Revu

Customer reviews and business integrity

Eric from Durotech

Bluebeam Revu is great for construction

Revu is a staple in my daily work. It provides functionality that surpasses other PDF programs I have used and allows me to work much more effectively.

Pros

This has the ability to handle a wide variety of tasks beyond just manipulating PDFs. It lets you perform takeoffs, document analysis, and more.

Cons

The recent redesign made it more difficult to find the common commands I wanted and seems less intuitive.

Shaylah from Shane Renovations Inc

Expensive but great for editing pdf documents

Bluebeam Revu is great for creating pdf's, marking up existing pdf's, and for gathering material quantities from construction floorplans. We use it to calculate items such as drywall, trim, paint, tile, etc. It is easy to use (especially the previous versions) and gives users the flexibility to create professional documents.

Pros

I use this for renovation projects and editing presentations to show clients that look professional. I also love how easy it is to create documents for social media posts for our business. We love the hatch feature, allowing us to create custom patterns to apply to floorplans and our team uses it for estimating accurate construction material take-offs.

Cons

It is expensive and the pricing is in American so it adds up quick for us Canadians! Also, the newer versions are harder to navigate - so many bells and whistles! Unfortunately, it isn't as compatible with Mac laptops.

Zachary from Gilbane

Bluebeam Review

The software helps take construction documents and edit them to your liking. It is helpful in providing supplemental information to manage our construction products.

Pros

The ease of use and ability to edit and mark up documents to your own liking. The multiple functions that the software has available.

Cons

Sometimes it is a bit difficult to find the toolbars and to place them in the locations that you prefer.

Bryce from BAR Scheduling, LLC

PDF Generation & Manipulation

The ease of use, moderate learning curve, and ease of roll out in a non-enterprise environment is outstanding. the additional tools available standard with the package will allow you to do amazing things so much simpler than with the business standard tool which is Adobe Acrobat Pro. Adobe would have never made it in the market if BB came out first in the market.

Pros

At a minimum, the ability to view/read PDF's is a standard in today's business world, however, if you have to generate, manipulate, add notations/text/notes, search docs, use drawing tools, do simple take-off's, etc. with PDF's, you will find BlueBeam (BB) and its suite of tools a refreshing change and pleasure to work with. This is truly the work horse of the PDF market with a much lower price tag than Adobe. Switch, get past the learning curve, and you will be very pleasantly surprised. You will never turn back to another PDF software.

Cons

inability to maintain current versions without constant repurchasing of licenses. No versions for IOS Mac Books. Stop supporting Mac versions. I think this is a critical error that alienates a decent market share from BB.

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

Initial switch was due to cost but the additional functionality and ease of use was a double bonus.

Bluebeam's Multi-use Capability

Bluebeam is helping us expedite the submittal process and helping us solve problems by allowing us to review multiple drawings simultaneously. This is a program that you take for granted because if one day, we no longer had it, we would be lost for awhile. I highly recommend this product.

Pros

Bluebeam is used daily at my project site and without it, life would be much more difficult. We use it for marking up drawings, submittals, reviewing contracts and determining rough dimensions (Snapping dimensions makes it very easy) for our project. We have templates, stamps, and other features stored on the application that saves time. This program makes it easy to combine files/PDF's and to organize.

Cons

I think that the search option could be refined. Although I cannot provide helpful information on how to accomplish this, I just feel that it could be modified to make things easier. This could also just be me.