(1,819)

1,819

(1,202)

1,202

• Pros

• "Awesome product super easy to use. Love how I can keep everything everywhere. Well worth the cost. :-)"

• "Very versatile and easy to use! I recommend this to anyone. They kept giving me Gigabytes for installing on new devices."

• "I love that you can access box from wherever you are. I especially like that its synch function happens behind the scenes and it is truly reliable."

• Cons

• "Some clients have enterprise versions of box which look and feel different so that can be a little confusing at the start. Overall, not much to complain about as the use is pretty simple. "

• "not much bad to say. The only CON is the lack of integration with ALL types of OS. Works well with Microsoft but not sure about others."

• "No major complaints but the Android app could be better, like the iOS app."

Browse Box Reviews

Joseric from Maynilad Water Services, Inc.

Industry: Utilities

Box for personal or office digital storage

Box continues to amaze and survive given the steep competition out there. Its main selling point for us is the boost in confidence as regards its super security features and data loss prevention.

Pros

There are many things to love about Box. For one, its Business plans come with unlimited storage! We started out with Free just to try it, then moved to Starter then Business (as we needed more than 10 users on board). It's worth it esp for small to medium-sized businesses looking for a secure place for storage with tons of extra features for both admin and security. The 5GB upload is enough for the big multimedia and other iso/archive files we have. For our admin, the integration with our Active Directory saved us from having to require our users to create/maintain an extra account (user/password) for Box. We are also proud to announce to our team about its security features like SSL, encryption, and even two-factor authentication for the meticulous. Although​ we haven't had the need for the DLP (Data Loss Prevention) that Box advertises, we are happy that this is part of our subscription and gives a little extra boost of confidence with our files. The corporate logo can also be incorporated into the platform to make it personalized according to your company's branding scheme. Box also offers a ton of possible integrations. So far what we use are integrations with Google Suite (e.g., docs), Salesforce (CRM), and MS Office 365. This makes it easy for users​ to create content is our usual platforms and then easily save and manage them in Box.

Cons

We have quite a number of staff who already use other online storage platforms (Dropbox, Google Drive). Note that Non-Box users can only access files as Read-Only... in which case our people really had to be forced to create an account for edit purposes and collaboration.

Sadaf from Alpin Limited

One stop cloud for all your syncing, sharing and collaborating needs

Box is an online cloud-based content management software that is particularly helpful when you need to store, edit and share all your data and documents from one place. We have a business account with Box and have been using the same since more than a year. It is fairly simple to use, with updates coming out once in a while showcasing new features. The software interfaces seamlessly with the office suite (Office 365 or others), therefore allowing users to use it via their computer, and not necessarily through the website or app. However, it does consume tons of storage space on your computer, therefore I'd definitely recommend only syncing the files to be used rather than syncing all folders you're collaborating on. Box is undoubtedly a great tool for virtual teams collaborating from different locations as sharing, uploading and syncing data is simple and stress-free. My team and I literally work through Box all day, and are always on the same page when it comes to our projects, as each one of us can view the other's uploaded documents on Box and continue working on the same. Additionally, managing and filing documents in one secure storage have become uncomplicated. For us, it reduces the chances of repeating the same work and error. of course, error; and also saving precious time not looking for files and folders all over.

Pros

Box allows users to upload all kinds of files of different formats (documents, images, video, drawing packages, zipped folders etc.) to its webpage (or app on phone/tablet) with ease. These uploaded documents can be shared with relevant team members, while also keeping them private from others where necessary. Shareable with the help of the link, Box files are easy to update, one can either edit in the browser itself or download to do the same. It is easy to track the activity of users, like who has viewed, downloaded and edited the files. This is a great tool when collaborating with colleagues through the web as all changes in a particular document/content are updated in real time and everybody working on that project can track changes and updates. I consider Box to be a reliable, simplified and secure software that I am able to utilize abundantly on a daily basis with my team. It is accessible anywhere and everywhere with a stable internet connection. One can simply drag and drop files and folders to Box and it will get uploaded instantly. This works wonders when you are out of office (for example, site or travelling) and your team needs to access the documents you've been working on or vice versa. Also, it is possible to have Box sync (as a standalone app) set up on your computer and aids easy syncing without the need to log in every time.

Cons

When compared to its competitors (Google Drive/OneDrive), Box does look a bit unappealing owing to its price tag. It offers four plans, the most inexpensive one being Standard (for personal use I presume), followed by Business, Business Plus and Enterprise. Small and medium-sized firms can make do with the average priced Business and Business Plus offerings. However, I don't think that I would invest in it if for my personal use. Secondly, for files such as .dwg and .rar do not open as a preview and have to be downloaded for viewing. This poses a problem for me as I have to review large drawing packages and downloading them just for review is quite a hassle. Would love if these little aspects are fixed for the upcoming updates.

The best library app for manuals, documents and eBooks

My first experience with Box, was personal someone shared me some maintenance tips for my bike, and then she opened the app on her smartphone. She showed me the documents that she had found from different vendors and even some others she made, and then she asked me if she could share them with me. In a few seconds I opened my account with box, and I was reading the information that she gathered for months. At that moment it hit me that I could use this app, for my working team.

Pros

One of the biggest challenges that I face every time a new device is released for evaluation, is to gather together all the manuals, specifications, errata, etc. And then share it with all the team. There are many solutions on the cloud to this dilemma. Most of them involve using your computer, but when you want to use your tablet or smartphone, the best solution that I found with box. I can have several shared folders with the different projects I am running, even personal information for fixing my bike, or ar recipe. It's effortless to navigate, read, highlight, and the app runs very smoothly. Most of my documents are in ePub, or in pdf format. I have a huge personal library at my fingertips that I can sort, navigate and read.

Cons

After 30 years of working in front of a monitor computer, I can't work for long periods of time in front of a screen with a white background. I will love that they soon upgrade the app to work with a dark background. Other than that I love this app as it is.

Narasimhan (Nari) from National Energy Technology Laboratory

Industry: Research

Excellent enterprise class cloud storage and workflow integration software

Pros

I used it and introduced it to my research group when I was in grad school few years back. We also ended up getting a larger size account to fit our needs. University purchasing handled the financial side of it, but I'd like to think our recommendations for enteprise scale buys were taken heed. BoxSync when used in conjuction with a box account does a great job of doing automatic backups on the cloud, that also help in access from different computers/collaborators simple. It can handle large file sizes (5 GB file upload limit) for most work, has excellent integration with word processing for online document editing. Note, I have not tried very large single file uploads yet, the largest has been a movie file of 750 MB. Recently they added notes feature which is useful for commenting while sharing files. Mostly it is a very stable and secure cloud backup tool, great for workflow and content management in groups.

Cons

I dont know if they ever had a referral program unlike dropbox. No other major drawbacks as a user. By default, it sends a lot of emails whenever anything is changed in the folders. turning off that feature took a while to figure out for me.

January 2016

Matthew from Videostream

January 2016

Preference really depends on how and when you entered the market

Pros

They concentrated on the enterprise first, which is valid. Therefore security has always been tight, platform support is solid, and enterprise administration is very robust. Shared folders are great in a workplace and make everything very simple to get the right docs to the right people when they need them. Box is definitely an enterprise company, with the support to back up that claim.

Cons

I should start by saying I tried Box, Dropbox, and Drive head-to-head back when everyone was going to cloud-storage and my experience with Box since then has been on and off. I'm still a current user of Drive and Dropbox and I pay for both every month. Our office doesn't need the level of admin support Box provides, which is the only feature that puts it ahead of the competition. Box was just never as feature complete as Dropbox, I don't want a separate cloud storage provider for business and for home use and Box lacked simple tools like automatic photo upload. As well, the web interface lacks and the uploads feel slower and more prone to error when compared to Dropbox. It's improved lately but it's still behind in file viewing support, etc. Also paid users have a max file size!!! Unacceptable if you do any sort of video/graphics work.

Verna from Aerotek

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Box offers the most professional cloud content storage services.

I have rated it 9 on a scale of 10 because it has efficient working ways and high-end security features for long term backup of our files and data. We have choose this tool because it is quite easy to access and implement in the whole organization. We have really improved our working while using this tool because it allows us to save time and money while we can extract most of the benefits from this tool in a reliable way.

Pros

The most beneficial thing about the Box software is that Box has enabled us with easy sharing of files and data which in return have saved us precious time for other activities and we have gained utmost benefit from it in organizing our employees and professionals content. Box has secured all of work and we can easily retrieve our files in the most efficient ways. It also includes some highly efficient tools which and we gained allow us to organize and sort the data in the most easy way.

Cons

But in accordance to our business objectives, it does not fit 100% well cause there are some requirements that has to be fulfilled via other tool to keep us working. So it also needs some improvements from its own end. It also needs to improve its way of organizing the data. We are mostly confused in retrieving the files and folders while looking for specific contents. Box has limited storage capacity for new users. And its additional storage could be bought for high prices which are reluctantly rated at very high price.

Gabriela from Bradesco

Backup to an extremely secure and reliable cloud.

The tool gives me security and peace of mind because I know my files are encrypted and stored in a data center with 99.999% availability and can be accessed from anywhere in the world and from any device.

Pros

Think of a tool that stores files in the cloud in real time and has a super friendly, lightweight and functional interface. Box is an excellent cloud backup tool and is fully encrypted. I really like the software I installed on the PC and Smartphone and the sync with the cloud happens in real time. The offering capacity is great and meets my needs.

Cons

We had no problem with this cloud file backup software. The tool has always been stable and never stopped working. I have nothing bad to say.

Vusal from Baker Hughes

Industry: Oil & Energy

Box review

Overall, it is more than 2 years that I am using box program for sharing, storing and maintaining documents. I have positive experience with Box.

Pros

I am using box in a daily manner and I would like to express 2 main points about Box. Firstly, it is one of the best program for shared service workers since everyone who has access to the folders in box could easily open and download the files that you uploaded. And secondly, you can sync it to the the folder in your computer.

Cons

Once I could not delete a file which I uploaded wrongly since I did not have permission to do it. This could lead to misunderstandings in personal relations. I think at least people could delete what they uploaded themselves and this could be manual solution of human error

Jen from Self

Industry: Graphic Design

Must Use Cloud Storage

I love that all my important business files are backed up here. This is useful in case something every happened to my computer. When I lost my website, I had all my blog posts backed up on Box. It was a lifesaver!

Pros

Even with my user account I have a significant amount of storage. I believe this is due to my length of time and frequency of use of this cloud storage. It's easy to use and organize. I love that you can share and grant rights to certain folders or files with anyone you choose.

Cons

The only con is uploading file size limitation. It would be nice if you could do lager files, like .wav or video.

Reasons for Choosing Box

Larger storage capacity on the free account.

Sofia from BTS

Not for collaborative work

So far, and after using Google Drive, I dont think Box is easy to use.

Pros

It is good if you work on your own and you dont need different people working and updating the same files.

Cons

Very bad when you work collaboratively wirh many people making changes. It is very confusing thebnumber of versions of the same file you might get. There is no way you can see online the changes that are being made by somebody else.

10/10 File Sharing Solution - Internal and External

It has been excellent - the customer service is also fast if there are any outages (very rare) affecting our uploads/syncing. It has saved us numerous amounts of bandwidth and has encouraged our employees to save files to Box for redundancy purposes and not to store items directly on their desktop.

Pros

The ease of use of spinning up Box folders and collaborating among internal employees or external clients/customers. The granular permission settings within each folder allow the administrator ("owner" or "co-owner") help regulate privileges from editing, to downloading, and reading which is a great tool when looking to share with multiple parties at different levels. We stopped sending attachments via e-mail (not secure) and simply use Box now to point toward a Link where the file is located. If you don't have access to the link, you are unable to see the file. Our employees and customers love this feature and it keeps everyone involved and access privileges in check.

Cons

When using Box Drive, it can be a bit slow to sync when creating new folders, or modifying file names, directly on the desktop application (recommend using the Box web site), however, this is extremely minor. we have had many successes using Box and have not even considered exploring any other solutions for over 5 years.

Reasons for Choosing Box

Pricing, overall security, and vendor demonstration

Staci from JTE Marketing

The best cloud storage on the web!

One of the best continual investments we've made with the company. This platform has single-handedly help us acquire new clients and projects, thus increasing the bottom line.

Pros

This is the most robust cloud storage platform on the web. Having been a client for over 10 years, there has been continued improvement to accessibility and security from the company. The ease of accessing files and sharing with others is second to none.

Cons

Absolutely nothing was below par. We love it and continually use it daily. Even the mobile app is fantastic!

Reasons for Choosing Box

Price and overall accessibility.

Jolie from Giant Bicycle, Inc

Industry: Wholesale

Organized and accessible

Box allows us to work collaboratively with teammates all over the world, both inside and outside our organization. The workflow is very smooth and we are able to make live updates to documents we work with regularly. The experience has been very positive and a big improvement over what we were using previously

Pros

Box has great storage capacity and many useful tools for editing and syncing items. It's a very flexible, scalable tool

Cons

We rely on Box so much that on the few occasions that it has gone down temporarily, we have been stuck until it's come back online. The good news is that this has happened only once or twice in 3+ years.

Kalina from National Center for Supercomputing Applications

Very straightforward

I use Box Sync pretty much for two purposes, though perhaps they're not the target use cases the developers had in mind! 1) I use it to send files to myself between computers. I have a desktop and a laptop, and it's a convenient way to share large files between the two. For small files, I often use email, but that has size limits. With Box, I can just upload a file on my laptop, then immediately go to my Desktop and download it. Easy peasy! It's even more convenient than using a flash drive. 2) I use it for sharing collaborative files, i.e. PowerPoint presentations that I'm giving with multiple presenters. It's not perfect, but it's the best way that I've found for keeping large PPTs, with multiple presenters, in sync (when I want to use PowerPoint and not Google Slides). I coordinate with the other people so that only one of us is working at a time, and when the one person is done and their changes are uploaded, the next person can take a turn at making edits. PowerPoint does have "auto-sync" functionality but I've found that using this Box method is even better!

Pros

The software is very straightforward to use. It's a simple interface. In its most basic form, it's just a place you can upload, download, and share files. If you are a (slightly) more advanced user, you can set up "Box Sync" so that a folder on your computer automatically syncs with Box. This is awesome to use as an automatic backup!

Cons

There's not much to dislike, but if I had to nitpick, it takes too menu menus and clicks to do things like (1) delete a file, (2) share a file, and (3) sync a file/folder. These are pretty much the only three things that I ever want to do, but they are hidden behind like 3-4 clicks and menu options.

Reliable, Safe, Cloud Storage

I have been very happy with Box. I have had not issues that I can think of. Box Sync is being phased out [YES!] in favor of Box Drive, which is their new file streaming service. I love how even though with Box Drive, the files are not actually on my computer, they are available instantly as needed. It is the exact same feature, but much better implemented in my opinion than OneDrive Files On-Demand and Google Drive File Stream provide.

Pros

Ease of use. It is simple, whatever is in your Box Drive folder is what is on Box. It is very easy to share files with others. Files are safe, and I would recommend them to anyone.

Cons

Some users have to use a secure DAV connection, and Box severely throttles DAV connections. Moving files around using this takes a lot of time, BUT it does work for now.

Zahra from QZ Consulting

Stable Storage Solution

Its good, overall i have no complaints.

Pros

Its a stable solution. The free plan was good but we moved to Business because that's what we needed it for. So the mobile apps are good, desktop sync is instant and there are no hiccups involving security, privacy, sync, uploads and management

Cons

You can't really move your main folder of storage once it has been set up. I initially wanted it on Drive D, now I wish to move it, but Box doesn't allow it. I will need to uninstall and then reinstall the whole damn thing for the shift to take place. Dropbox didnt have this problem. Yes I use both.

Reasons for Choosing Box

Got free 50GB initially and then onwards it just stuck with us:) OneDrive seemed expensive too, but now we have Office 365 so OneDrive is part of it.

Leonardo from Lets Growth

Great for Content Marketing on Startups!

When we started our business a few years ago, we did not have enough capital to spend on tools or rather we wanted to invest in more important equipment. That is when I got introduced to Box. Their product quality and security are as good as Dropbox. We never had a security breach or lost a file, and since we offer content marketing services, the number of files we upload and download monthly is too many.

Pros

The speed to download and upload every single file

Cons

It is not as good as Dropbox, but if you are starting your business and want to save a good amount of money it is an ideal choice.

Reasons for Choosing Box

When you are starting a business the best tools are not the ones you start with. Nowadays we utilize Box over Dropbox, but at first, we had to go with Box and we don't regret it. Box definitely has an amazing service quality.

Mary from CureSearch for Children's Cancer

Industry: Research

Easy file sharing from desk, laptop, phone...

I love Box and tell everyone I interview about Box. We are a 70% remote group and depend on Box for sharing information and collaborating on projects. Applicants ask, "How do you manage a dispersed work force?" and "How do people maintain a sense of team?" "Box," I say, "is a big component."

Pros

1. Sharing files is simple, no matter who you want to share with and no matter from what device. You can share a document with someone inside or outside of the organization without giving up control of the document. No need for someone outside of the organization to upload any software in order to access the shared document. 2. As an HR professional I find Box to be a great tool for collaborating with hiring managers. I set up a system for resume sorting that allows hiring managers to see just those resumes selected for their review, and allows the manager to move the candidates ahead in the hiring process, or not, as desired. I can then take action based on their actions in Box. It's very efficient. As a small business we do not need expensive, extensive stand-alone software for applicant tracking. Box allows us to record our decision making process 3. Largely intuitive, but in case you need a bit of help, the webinars and how-to videos are very easy to follow. 4. I can access, read and send documents from my phone. Very helpful for those moments at the beach when you realize you forgot to send a document to your boss. It's happened.

Cons

1. I work mostly from an old Mac. I find some of the interface less smooth than from my PC. For example, when I create a Word doc within Box while using my Mac, the Mac defaults to Text Edit instead of Word. I suspect that's user error, though.

Bob from Indiana University

Solid enterprise tool with surprising productivity and innovation gains

I run Box for over 100K users in a large university. Box is built for the enterprise. It has very solid security, good user management and an extremely small support footprint. There are consumer tools that might beat Box on some individual features, but cannot hold a candle to Box when held up to the needs and realities of a large enterprise. Box is platform and vendor agnostic. It has solid mobile apps and 3rd party integrations. The API is strong and improving all the time. Box can be the content layer for both internal and externally-facing applications. We signed on to Box to bring our IP back in from consumer tools. It has largely accomplished that but it has additional surprising results. We've seen some very creative innovations in research collaboration, teaching and administration. The productivity gains have been far greater than expected. Box is a bit of a paradigm shift for users. Those who never ventured into consumer cloud tools such as Dropbox need to learn about basic cloud concepts of where their data is backed up. IT professionals need to get their heads around Box's permission model as well as deal with the loss of direct user management and support. Having said that, the overall support footprint is startling low. We average 5 technical tickets a week on Box for over 100K users. Most of our support time is on training and consulting to help users get the most out of the tools Box provides. The bottom line is that Box has proven to be very solid and flexible. Our users have really taken it and run with it.

Pros

Strong security. Data ownership model. Flexibility of collaboration and sharing options. Platform and vendor agnostic. Good administrative controls. Reasonably good reporting. Reasonably good APIs. Ease of use for end users. It's been great watching the creativity and innovation of the users. They've found ways to do things with Box we never imagined when we signed on.

Cons

The desktop sync is different than and technically inferior to that of Dropbox, the consumer tool most users are familiar with in this space. We anticipate this change when Box for Desktop is released in 2017. We'd also like to see the maximum file size increase. I'd like to see improvements in the administrative reporting. Many users have trouble getting their head around Box's waterfall permission model, particularly IT professionals. It's different than what they are used to. It ads an impediment to the retirement of NFS.

August 2016

Eugene from Samaritan's Purse

August 2016

Box - a secure, collaborative platform for all connected users

I've been been a Box customer for about four years. During that time we've gone from a limited POC to a large scale international rollout. We've found Box to be very responsive both from a support standpoint and in terms of listening to their customers regarding features and needs. The primary reason we initially chose Box was because of the outstanding security framework which was at the core of the initial offering and continues to be a key focus for Box. The management and governance features allowed us to roll it out to a geographically diverse group of employees with the assurance that their data would be secure and would remain secure. Our initial need was to centrally replicate data from an international location. Based on the success of that POC, we've been able to replicate that success in a number of international locations and delay or eliminate the need for physical systems and storage that had previously been a part of our technology deployment.

Pros

Security is still my favorite feature - I have the confidence that our data is secure and will remain secure. Box meets a number of US based and international security regulations and data compliance requirements, Box makes governance and compliance easy. Notifications based on file changes or folder changes have allowed us to create "instant workflows" to quickly move data from a variety of locations in the hands of a number of users. This has allowed us to create a system where data is not only securely stored, but able to be quickly acted upon by a geographically diverse group of staff. Rolling Box seats out to new users is easy, and Box makes a wide variety of training materials available to its users to help them leverage the features.

Cons

There's not much to dislike - the feature set is good and continues to grow. If there is a downside, it is that - like all cloud based solutions - connectivity is required, and that can sometimes be a challenge for my organization is some of the remote international locations where we work.

Nikitah from University of Nebraska

Box

All in all, Box has proven substantially beneficial for the university and for faculty to access materials of a general nature in a more efficient way and though I have not seen the actual numbers myself, I suspect that offloading all of the staff time and energy that went into maintaining and training people to monitored those previous on-campus servers was a price efficient move as well. Equally important in a time of fiscal belt-tightening.

Pros

My university decided to replace its archaic system of various collective departmental, college, and institution drives and servers with Box. It is a thousand times easier to access from a variety of locations, at almost any time, using almost any communicative medium you wish to employ. In the 21st century the modern mobile educational facility and educator lives and dies on the capacity to not just amass data and research and information but also to retrieve and manipulate it at remote locales in a secure, rapid way.

Cons

The biggest challenge is that Box has, like many modern softwares, engineered a number of plug ins. I have found that the reliability and functionality of these varies. for example, the general BoxSync application works perfectly but then there is a Box application for Windows 8 and another for Windows 10 which are "store apps" which are not as good at syncing and it is possible you might have both kinds of applications on your machine and that is rather confusing for the user since they have different interfaces and the syncing between them is not as transparent as one might expect. There is a page of these plugins and their descriptions overlap substantially and so it's not always clear which application you should employ in conjunction with your general Box.

Bryan from Ball State University

I use Box for department and personal document storage through manual uploads, emails, and syncing.

With this product, I can securely save and store my documents. They can be accessed from anywhere. I can share them with colleagues and setup folders with access for multiple users. Through our reporting software, I can easily email documents to Box folders to be uploaded.

Pros

I like the versatility for uploading and downloading files. Files can be uploaded by dragging them into the folder in a web browser. You can also allow them to be uploaded through email. When this is activated, a unique email address is created. Any attachments in emails sent to that address are uploaded to that folder. We use our reporting software to send reports to these folders. Within this folder, uniquely named documents can replace existing ones or be added in addition to the original. Files can also be uploaded through synced folders. I use this to store all of my work documents. Any file in this folder is synced with the online folder. The Box files can easily be accessed from any web browser or through the mobile app. Ours is placed behind our firewall. With the mobile app, you can also create offline versions of documents for easy access without internet access. Downloading can be completed easily though the app or online. Individual files can be downloaded one at a time or en mass as a zip file.

Cons

I am pretty happy with this product. The only thing that I would prefer is the ability to download multiple files at once as separate files instead of being downloaded as a zip file.

Lucas from Samaritan's Purse

July 2016

Enabling mobility, collaboration, and delivering that securely.

There are many services if you are looking for a place to dump data. But what makes Box the best, are all the features that they layer on top of that. Collaboration, sync, edit, Office integration, great mobile apps, policies, preview, workflows, automations, and more. At my company we have been able to leverage many of these features to meet specific needs of our end users that we would not have been able to easily meet with our existing resources or traditional platforms. We have been able to really leverage the platform to enable our users to gather data all over the world on almost any platform and then have staff anywhere else in the world act on that data. This has increased our response time tremendously over traditional platforms like email and FTP. Box can really be a tool in your tool chest that can solve many problems.

Pros

The features I have found to be most helpful over other cloud storage platforms are: 1) Collaboration just not that it exists, but it is easy and user friendly. Allowing data that is necessary to be worked on to be brought to the surface 2) Security focus on compliance, encryption, enterprise grade management 3) 3rd Party Integrations allowing for Box to truly be a platform to be used with other software. 4) Mobile apps, very strong and easy to use

Cons

There are still some management features I would like to see improved, giving more control to IT. There is a good bit here, but could use a bit more.

Scott S. from cloudthynk

What the cloud pros use...

Box is the best of breed cloud system in the EFSS (Gartner) space. The natural progression from startup to unicorn company is: 1. Google Drive (max free space) but applications are worthless for Accountants, 2. OneDrive (comes with O365 but doesn't play well with others like NetSuite and SFDC) and need a SharePoint site managed/integrated to get real value 3. Dropbox (great customer features but doesn't play well with others and lacks unlimited storage) 4. Box --best of breed but not the cheapest

Pros

1. Enterprise Edition with unlimited storage plan costs roughly $35/month. For a mature organization spending a large amount on servers/admins for those servers, this is very affordable. 2. Ability to model sharing between departments is priceless. Literally changes the way an organization behaves with information sharing if configured properly (silo killer). 3. Customer service is second to none. 4. Native integration with other cloud apps that charge additional fees for storage quotas. This includes NetSuite, SFDC and Workfront and many more. 5. MetaSearch on Enterprise allows granular searching. Every time someone has ever used a single word is indexed -- INSIDE the documents stored.

Cons

1. More of a learning curve for users because of more features. 2. More robust administrative functionality also requires more learning. 3. Not the cheapest cloud solution out there - but you get what you pay for.

Box in Easy to Use Efficient File Storage Software

Pros

Box is used by everybody in the company for a very easy to use file storage system. The company is 100+ employees in the construction industry. We store each project in its own specific folder with everything related in this. This makes my life easier by being able to pull up blueprints or files from any device I am on. I work out of 4 different locations and so local storage would not be possible for this. Box is easily integrated onto your desktop for localized access on the computer. Anytime you make a change from your computer it will update the files in the cloud. We have over 20 people that access the files for the project and we are able to assign roles to anybody accessing the files. Some might be only able to open the files and other we can allow editing of the documents. Share large files is as simple as right-clicking and copying a link for the file location. You do not need to go through the web portal in order to share folders or documents. Box is probably one of the best enterprise level cloud storage solutions for a business.

Cons

I wish to allow the administrator to have a log of changes and able to temporarily access deleted files. I sometimes have people make mistakes or changes and it would be useful to see who moved a file or deleted a file. However, it does show you the last user to save a file just not a log of deleted documents. I have also had a worker delete important documents that we were not able to retrieve on an administrator level.

Vin from Sahadi Fine Foods

A very viable cloud platform

I use Box heavily to share folders with clients, and to store/transfer files from outside locations to my local desktops. I've been with the company since the beginning and the platform has proven entirely stable for my business needs.

Pros

First off - let me say that I was a very early adopter of the Box platform, and I was grandfathered in with 25GB free storage. That said, I am not on a paid plan which is why I didn't comment on the pricing. I can say that the pricing is on par with the rest of the industry. I will also stick to commenting on the free version - which lacks some of the paid features. The Box Drive sync client works very well. I have seamless access to my files on all of my devices. I am able to share files and folders with ease. It is a very stable cloud platform in my opinion. As for the paid options - I believe that they work as advertised, and I've watched the platform evolve and mature over time to be a competitive with the other providers. Some of their partnerships are better by far than the others.

Cons

Honestly - from the free version standpoint - the biggest issue I had was when they migrated from the simple sync client to the Box Drive client. That actually proved to be more difficult than it should have. I also lost some features that I had with the sync client - due to me being on the free version.

Box has been an amazing tool for us to use as a way to share files across teams and with partners.

We managed to get more information out to other staff members who were unable to access the old Physical File Server that was located in one specific office. The level of collaboration between teams and offices has increased immensely since the implementation. Our adoption rate and daily usage are some of the highest, compared to some of our other tools.

Pros

The security structure is great and very flexible. You can create various structures for all sorts of use cases. The integrations are also great. With so many partners from Microsoft to Google, we are able to create new ways to stitch our software together. Shoutout to HelloFax for being awesome! Box Notes has been amazing as well. Everyone has users using GDocs, even if you're not officially using it in your organization. This has effectively replaced at least the Document component. We have a group of users that cannot get enough of Box Notes. The new UI plus the training materials are great. Way better than most other competitors. As is the support. They are happy to help in any way possible. We've been recommending Box to other non-profits as a great solution to replacing the outdated File Server.

Cons

The inability to share individual documents to non-registered users for editing. This is probably the #1 driver for some of our users wanting to use GDrive or OneDrive.

A strong and easy to use cloud service

Pros

I use Box on a daily basis and have found it to be a secure and reliable cloud service. One of the features I like most about it is that it also allows for collaboration work too on files such as spreadsheets or documents. I like how easy it is to use for both accessing and uploading files. A simple drag and drop of a file/files and it starts uploading immediately. It's easy to keep files organized as it allows you create folders just as you would on your hard drive. Upload and download speeds are good, although this is dependent on the speed of your internet connection of course. Another feature that I like and feel is worth mentioning is that it's very easy to share files or folders with other people, and lets you customize what level of access they have - download only or can edit, for example. There is also an option to receive an email notification when someone accesses or downloads anything you have shared.

Cons

The only con that I've ever encountered when using Box is that there sometimes seems to be an issue with how it orders you files within a folder if the file names are numbered (for example file names that contain or start with a numerical date).

Victor from Independent Consultant

Industry: Think Tanks

Best cloud / file storage

Pros

I'ved used Box, dropbox, OneDrive, and many other cloud based file storage systems for many years. Box is -- hands down -- the best application for three big reasons. The first is that Box has many built in features for SSO, management, archiving, search, and integrations that are very well suited to large scale enterprise implementations to replace client/server file systems. The second is that Box has amazing integrations (pre-built). Some of my favorites are email based notifications and submit (drop in) files via email. Not that I used them for email itself, but they are great to build automation with. The third is Box's API which is super easy to use.

Cons

The one thing I never liked about Box is that when a corp IT team includes someone to have read access (or other access) to a folder, it always shows up. Box should have user features that allow the user to hide content that is shared with with, but which they don't want or need to see. Clearly one of the huge problems of massive file collections is finding the right data. I think their search, sort, and filter technologies could really use a lot of help here.

Does the job well.

Overall it was a good experience but we ended up cancelling our subscription because of the issue above and are already paying for GSuite which included Unlimited Google Drive Storage and similar capabilities.

Pros

Box is easy to deploy, configure and the user adoptions are easy. Because the software uses the same file structure as Windows and has the Windows Application to make adoption even easier.

Cons

We encountered an issue with the permissions levels where users were able to create and add files to folders in box, but were not able to create the folder. Instead the user had to create the folder outside of box, then drag and drop it in. It didn't make sense when the user had sufficient Read/Write permissions.

Jeff from Rackspace

July 2016

Box.com solves for many enterprise problems

As an Enterprise account administrator for around 6k users, I'm continually impressed with the pace and quality of improvements as well as the huge feature set Box already has. Box provides much more than simple file sharing, it also allows for automation and integration with existing workflows, the creation of new and more efficient processes, and the replacement of several dissimilar products we were using.

Pros

The Box web app and the Box Sync/Box Edit software are intuitive and easy for the new user to pick up quickly. For more experienced users, workflows can be designed and used to increase the efficiency and decrease the problems associated with file servers and other file sharing services. The Box API provides those who are inclined to develop applications a standard, with well documented features and flexibility that securely allow access to content and metadata.

Cons

The desktop applications Box Sync and Box Edit occasionally are impacted by Windows policies (IE permissions generally), which is not the fault of Box, just something to keep in mind when deploying to users. The administrator GUI search function for files is indiscriminate and doesn't allow for more complex searching.

Joseph from Richmond Testing Lab

Box has streamlined our business !! Great file sharing and collaboration software.

Since it's very easy to manage the files s stored on Box through their web interface, I am able to concentrate on other projects in the office. In addition, it has taken the burden off our email server as we no longer need to email large files and only send the link to those files or folders via email.

Pros

Security and Ease of use !! Every file you store with Box is encrypted using AES 256-bit encryption. In addition, the Box user interface makes it easy to share out and collaborate folders with specific permissions. You can easily see which collaborator (customer) has opened a specific file by running a report. Reliable file sharing....We have given all our field technicians access to a wealth of information that would normally have been emailed to them upon request and they are able to access Box directly from their tablets to access this info. This has streamlined our business and has made it easy for us to collaborate our reports with others. We have tried other file sharing sites and Box has worked perfectly for our needs.

Cons

I think the reporting on the back end needs to be improved. Other than that, we have no other complaints.

SARAH from Biotek Labs

Daily tasks made easy!

Quick communication between departments that allow for expedited patient care. The software is easy to use and functions quickly. This software is HIPPA compliant, which allows for a safe environment for us to deal with patient records.

Pros

I love how simple this software is to use. I had to begin using it as a new employee having never seen it before. It only took a few days before I felt like an experienced user. We deal with healthcare patients, and privacy and security are our top priority. This sofware provides a safe networking environment where we can discuss patient information in a HIPPA compliant way. I use Box for everything, and I have never had it crash. The information I need to access is always available. We frequently use the @ feature to signal when another person is mentioned in a task or comment, this allows for quick communication between departments that are sates away. The task feature allows you to set a "due date" which is extremely helpful when we are dealing with time sensitive issues.

Cons

Some of the document views are difficult to maneuver. For example, when there is a comment you wish to delete from a document, the toggle is not visible until you hover over comment name. I would rather have everything visible than to have to discover them by accident.

Nithya from Logica Soft

Excellent for sharing and collaborating with strict permission controls

Pros

For our company, we had been using another software to store files and share them. But we hit a glitch where some files saved by colleagues on their local computers didnt sync as expected and they had lost all their data. We started using box and it was the bat choice we had made. All files synched perfectly and the links helped us share the files easily. The best part of all, is the control I had over who sees the file and how they access it. I set permissions and was able to share it with colleagues who work remotely too.

Cons

It was hard for me to convince the management to initially try this product and thats because they werent aware of its features and usability. This took time to overcome and eventually they had seen how this benefitted the organisation as I started using it for maintaining HR documents where I was able to have links within documents and this created a very good version control for ISO standards. The workflow was also managed efficiently and process documents were streamlined. Seeing this, the company adopted Box for other areas of the business too.

Harry from Tracen Technologies-COMMANDmobile

Box is the best sharing software in the market.

Overall, My experience with this software is great and awesome. I can easily use and manage this software because it always provide the complete security to all of my important documents and files in a better way. It is so easy to store and share the documents and data in a more reliable way. Hence, it is the best sharing software in the market.

Pros

Box business software is so easy to use and it provide the unlimited spaced to store unlimited amount of data and documents in a easier manner. Through this software, I can easily share all of my files and documents in a better and efficient way. The great advantage of this software is that we can save and secure all of our important files and documents with our friends, colleagues and team members. Hence, we can easily access the everything by the Box software.

Cons

For the users, this software faced a lot of problems is that it does not provide the great customer support for its users and sometimes it slow down without any reason. Moreover sometimes it dos not provide the much space to store unlimited amount of data and documents. But I really must say that Box is the best for sharing and storing purpose.

Stephanie from Novartis

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Great file storage for desktop, with a few hiccups

We use Box every day within our organization to back up and sync all of our work files. We also use Box to send large files and folders to clients with the private sharing function

Pros

The web interface for Box is great. Very easy to use and navigate. Managing files from the Android/iOS apps is also very well put together. One of the small features we like the most is the automatic file version numbering when overwriting an existing file on your Box. It's a nice touch that keeps track of how many revisions we've done on any specific file/design. Overall, the download/upload speeds are great, and web application is also fantastic, and the pricing is competitive for the industry.

Cons

I wish I could review the box web application and Box desktop applications separately, because they're vastly different experiences. The Box Desktop Sync (Windows) is often pretty buggy, and refuses to sync files randomly. We've been having a number of connection issues, only to learn that Box has said they won't be supporting this version of the app, and all users have to move to the new Box Drive app. It's all very confusing.

Ken from H2

Enterprise friendly object storage

I liked Box for the most part and consider it a solid alternative to other cloud storage services. The free tier provides a decent amount of storage and it's a good way to familiarize yourself before moving to Enterprise.

Pros

Getting started with Box is quick and easy. The UI is also intuitive on both the web site and mobile application. While most people attributed dropbox to pioneering the world of cloud storage, box was actually started a few years before dropbox launched. If you are familiar with DropBox or any other cloud storage service, box will be easy to pick up. Adding and organizing files is extremely easy to do. Basic functions such as creating a shared link, downloading files, exporting files all work well. You can also preview documents right in the application, whether it is an image file, document, text, etc. Performance was good, uploads and downloads were reasonably quick.

Cons

The lack of in-place editing or viewing of documents pulls box down a few notches. While it integrates with Microsoft Office, all these means is that it will offer a link to the local Office application (mobile or desktop). While it might seem minor, it really its preferable to edit in-place rather than switching back and forth between applications.

Brett from yfficient | Freelance Graphic Art Services for Publishers

Reliable collaboration in the Cloud

I'm a fan! So the pros outweigh the cons, and Box seems to always be active working toward improving their product. I've implemented Box Business/Enterprise for three companies, and users definitely benefited from the collaborative system, even when using only the base features.

Pros

The Box platform works, and does what it says it will do. Live online training is especially helpful for bringing on new users, and there are numerous pre-recorded tutorials and white papers. No excuses for users to not understand how the platform works. System is flexible for businesses needing to meet international security, medical compliance, etc.

Cons

Navigating all admin options can be a little daunting. The default settings are probably 'right' for Enterprise users, but for a small business I had to invest a little time with tech support to get the settings right so that my users couldn't make changes that affected the monthly cost. The Box business (from their sales, support, features) are strongly designed for large customers, not for a freelancer working with clients (examples: minimum 3 users, automated 'Relay' workflows Enterprise only.)

Kandice from ChargeTech

Industry: Consumer Electronics

'Box' for product templates

Pros

At our company, we use the box platform daily!! It is the only place we have that hosts all of our artwork templates that we send to our customers. It is so easy to just share the link for our customers to visit and pick out whatever template matches their product they ordered. They then download the file and are able to have it at their fingertips.

Cons

Once in a great while, we will have a template crash and need to delete it and reupload it but that is the only con.

Molly from UChicago Music Department

Box Cloud Storage Review

Box is great for securely storing and sharing files. I use box every day to store and share student information without fear of hacking.

Pros

Box is a great way to securely store and share files in the cloud. I love that storage is unlimited for non-profits and that files can be shared with people outside your organization as well. It is also much more secure than google drive or dropbox.

Cons

The "box notes" feature is a bit clunky to use, as is the spreadsheet. It is more difficult to edit items directly on box than a google doc. It is also difficult for multiple people to edit a document at once.

Roberto from Coppel SA

Box does what you expect it to do, but not the best option out there.

If you have a business and security is a concern, then Box will be a very good choice. So you better ask yourself the following questions: Is security important to you? It's very important to understand how your users will be working in order to decide if Box is going to be the best option to you.

Pros

Box is one of the most popular tools in Content Management solutions on the cloud. What makes Box one of the biggest? Definitely Security is Box's strength. Additionally I really like the cross - functional team work capability. Overall, a pretty good tool if you want your documents to be synchronized at work, being able to collaborate with your team work and be sure that all your documents are safe.

Cons

The biggest weakness of Box will be the user experience. If you compare Box with its biggest competitors like Dropbox, you will see a huge difference regarding user experience. Box is not so intuitive when I use it in my day to day work. Although Box is already trying to improve this, it's still behind their competitors. Additionally, I will say that Box can improve some user management features as well.

Jason from Utah Valley University

Best File Storage/Sharing Utility That Integrates with Canvas

Integration with Canvas is a huge benefit. Box's security is probably the best for its intended use. Box is also very simple to use. I love how the sync tool just works seamlessly in the background.

Pros

I love its integration with Canvas. It is the best file sharing/storage service that integrates with Canvas. We have Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive integrated with our instance of Canvas as all, and Box stands head and shoulders above those. The security is top-notch and the ease of use is great. Users can access their box content through their Canvas profile page. Teachers can enable Box use at the course level, and share Box content directly in an assignment or information page. The Box preview window is amazing as well. It allows you to preview pretty much any file type. It also has a new Microsoft Office plugin that allows you to work on a file locally on your machine and save it directly to your Box account without storing the file on your machine and syncing it.

Cons

Box doesn't allow its sync tool to be used on beta OS environments like a beta version of macOS. It kind of sucks having to wait for the general release of an operating system just because you're dependent on a file-storage service.

george from 3D Hubs

very good, but only if you pay.

I only occupied a few months ago box and the experience has been very pleasant. Before I used dropbox and I liked it a lot, but box I find it more neat, more formal and I like that. The functions and the operation in general is quite similar in the basics, I upload files, I share the files, I can create different sessions so that more people can access a certain folder, and other functions. So until now I have been able to work very well with BOX and the whole process has been very simple.

Pros

1.- There are a variety of options to choose from according to your needs. You can choose a personal account or a company account. 2.- Within the personal account you have the possibility to create a free account. This account has 10GB of space in the cloud, which is enough space to store thousands of documents, songs, photos and much more. 3.- the prices of the different accounts are quite good and they are within the market price. 4.- The work environment is simple and neat, which gives the impression of being very neat and clean. 5.- You can share your files easily through the link generated by box. You can also configure if this link will be for public or private use. 6.- The speed of upload and download of larger files (over 50mb) is quite fast, although it also depends on the connection you use.

Cons

1. - Like other similar programs, conflicts are created in the files if two or more people try to use the same file at the same time. 2.- there is an important difference between the gartis account and the payment account, since the paid accounts can transfer and unload large files (up to 5GB in the most expensive version, and 2GB in the cheapest), while in the free version is an important limitation, where you can only manipulate files up to 250mb.

Nick from Footsteps Child Care

Box is excellent

Box has been great for our admin team to manage and share files. It has made sharing confidential documents significantly easier.

Pros

Box drive makes the cloud feel native to windows explorer. After setting up box drive I can navigate files the same way I always have, it is barely noticeable that I am using a cloud database instead of my local storage. It is easy to reach all of my files through the browser on any device, as well as the IOS app.

Cons

The sharing can be a bit confusing and some shared files need to be manually synced to appear in the box drive on my computer. The price is a bit high.

Reasons for Choosing Box

We found the security/excryption offered by Box to be superior to dropbox and other cloud systems.

Gregg from ASSOCIATED CHURCH PRESS

Great storage solution for multi-platform teams

Box is an easy to implement storage solution that will have your teams collaborating on documents and sharing information in no time. Reasonable pricing options and backup ensure your documents are safe using this cloud-based system.

Pros

Box is a great addition to our nonprofit's information management workflow. We use Box to handle the distribution of board documents, exchange financial data, collaborate on marketing materials, and collect contributed information such as photos or video. There are a lot of cloud-based storage systems out there, but our selection came down to usability, portability, cross-platform integration and cost. Box is easy to use from installed client software (desktop and mobile apps) as well as from the web.

Cons

One area that I'd like to see Box compete better is on versioning of saved documents. Of course, good document management includes creating new versions of documents as they change, but with multiple users that rule is sometimes ignored. It would be most beneficial to be able to go back to a time and date and retrieve a given document from that period, similar to Apples Time Machine. Not a deal breaker, but a valuable tool if it were available.

Box user at work

Overall, I like Box and it allows me to centrally store and update documents. Despite my frustrations listed above, I believe that the pros definitely outweigh the cons and it continues to provide a significant business value proposition.

Pros

I like that Box's value proposition as a central storage place works well with colleagues who are located near and far. I like that Box allows users to update documents outside of Box, but have those updates appear within the software. The last thing I really like is that Box allows me to drag and drop files into Box from my computer.

Cons

Three things always frustrate me with Box. The first is that Box does not allow multiple users to update documents simultaneously. When this is happening, users are not alerted to the fact that multiple users are in the same document. Second is that Box sync seldom works and, to set it up, is generally confusing. Third thing is that, though Box allows for dragging and dropping files into Box, you can't drag and drop those files from Box into other folders.

Bridgette from Strattix Inc.

Industry: Oil & Energy

Handy for business or personal needs!

Overall - good. Would recommend to small-med businesses or people who have a large amount of files that need organizing.

Pros

It's efficient at what it does. It allows users to safeguard all their documents in one convenient hub. I used Box at work in the oil and gas industry and found it to be useful and fairly easy to use and understand. It's great for people with a lot of data, photos, and large files, as it holds a massive amount of data. The price is affordable and its definitely worth every penny!

Cons

The only thing I have to say that's negative about it is the user-interface in the online portion of the product. I found it to be laggy at times when I had just uploaded and synced a file to my PC Box account, and went online to check if the sync had worked. The user interface itself is fairly archaic and could use a facelift. I also found the online site to be more up to date if others on my team had uploaded files, I would usually see them come through right away online vs on the PC file explorer.

Daniel Mario from SYNCrew

Good tool for storage

The tools are there, but you need to plan ahead and structure things properly or it can become a nightmare. For example,I helped implement this at a friends company and it's better to do some research on how to do things before implementing and use a very defined structure and groups for permissions.

Pros

It's a good way to have a centralized storage for small companies, in general it has a good interface and functionality.

Cons

Be careful how things are implemented, it can become a labyrinth if you start creating folders left and right and sharing individual folders with individual people. I would like better auditing tools, for example a way to see the whole folder structure and files easily (currently there is an export tool for this but the csv files it spits out are huge hard to look at). Having several users collaborating can create a lot of duplicate files and folders. I would like an easy way to add virtual folders, so I can have one physical folder that can be under several others. I believe you can do this through links, but is not very intuitive.

Strong option to share files internally and externally

Great option for a business storing and sharing files, but had some problems with losing files. Not the only option out there. We ended up switching to google drive which has even allowed us to keep files from removed users, but I'm not sure if there is a sync option with google drive.

Pros

It has allowed my company to store thousands of large files and share internally. I like how simple it is to upload and download files (drag and drop, no need to go through a menu), and the speed is faster than google drive. It also allows you the option to sync. I share files internally and externally on a daily basis and like the feature to set accessibility limits depending on level of access.

Cons

Sharing files externally I believe requires a user to register or sign in - a lot of our external partners prefer using google drive or dropbox to share as it is a more seamless experience and requires less technical acumen. The sync feature has also caused some issues - if something was edited/deleted from a user who synced, we lost files. Also, we removed some box accounts due to new budget guidelines which caused us to lose files due to files that we did not know were linked to the removed accounts.

Solid, easy to use, file management

Box has given my organization a good way for teammates across the organization to access and work on the same materials together. I don't believe in my time using Box I have ever had a "panic moment" where something was lost or suddenly disappeared -- something that I can't say about every file management system I've ever participated in.

Pros

I really like the ease and speed of box sync. It takes very little effort and very few steps to access a file, edit it, and save it back to the server. Effectively, you rarely interact with the website or the client at all. It's just like you're accessing and saving files on your desktop, but they get synced back to the server automatically. A huge lifesaver is that it lets you access old versions of your files even after you've saved over them.

Cons

Integration with email software would be an excellent feature. It's possible that this exists by now, but information about it and ease of use is scant. I'd love to be able to easily add and organize documents that come in as email attachments.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 3,539 reviews