All Buildertrend Reviews

Reviewed June 2022

Buildertrend design/construction office review

Jack

Welcome into the 21st Century

9/10, I haven't had any major problems with the software. Theres not too many glitches, and like I said prior if you put the effort into it, it is 100% worth it. No question. Not only that but you have a great support team to back you up, whether you're a techy or not they can really shed some light.

PROS

Phenomenal Software, it should replace everything that a construction company uses. I get that some dont like moving forward to tech, but once you actually put the work into BT to use it, it makes everything so much faster and coordination is top-notch. The fact we can give homeowners access to see whats going on construction wise saves us time and stress. We generally dont need to communicate basic things to them, they can see it for themselves!

CONS

The selections software is still a little bit limited, takes hours of work. Some sort of master template to feed everything would be amazing if it could be implemented in the future. Also the loading glitch, and how I have to "click X" to search another property. Can make going through several properties fast to a chore since it has to refresh so many times.

Jack, thank you so much for your review and feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to do this. And I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to our Product team.

Replied March 2020

Arthur

Arthur's BT experience at TCON Homes

It is helping in changing the culture at TCON Homes. It is a bit hard to explain for construction people that planning is more cost effective than starting smashing walls because you are aggregating value doing physical labour.

PROS

Communication of job progress with subcontractors, client portal, upload photos, variatin and owner invoices.

CONS

There is no taxes *yet. No milestones schedule items, but maybe not needed. Hope one day I can see To-dos on Gantt chart (not as a extra line, but a floating point).

Reason for choosing Buildertrend

BT changed fees plans. Honestly, it was confusing and too expensive to use for few projects per year. We are a small company with 4-6 projects per year focusing on growth to be able to build up to 8-10 per year.

Reasons for switching to Buildertrend

BT gives a framework to operate and TCON needed one. It helped me with my arguments to change the estimate software as well. We got Planswift, now we moved to CostX and it is saving time and helping me to standardise products as their workbooks are really powerful.

Danielle

Used free trial

Reviewed March 2013

We are a boutique custom home builder; each project is unique and personalized. Although I was not involved in the selection of this software, my understanding is that we wanted a program that could be accessed by all the parties involved, handle the scheduling and move us away from paper checklists - ultimately allowing all users to be both informed of changes and to be able to plan for future events without having to directly communicate with each person. As far as scheduling goes this system has failed. It has caused more time consuming questions. My complaint is that you can only link item to item by a (or a couple) predecessor(s) that, ultimately, the program struggles with which item is next in the list if a few of them share the same linked task. Also in a best case scenario, this scheduled list is how you build a house - but in most cases something, whether it be trade related or whether related or inspection related, cause a task to be delayed but the other ones would continue on schedule however the program has linked the start date to the the delayed task and now the whole calender is messed up. Or perhaps the exterior of the house generally starts after framing and roofing but maybe a winter storm makes this impossible so you continue the interior for weeks. Then you try and adjust backwards and because your best case scenario template stated it should commence at framing completion and you delayed that. Thus your left with a domino affect of wrong dates. and a series of emails sent to vendors informing them of the delay that really didn't apply to them. So they change schedules and you are left with no trades to do the interior work that in your mind could and should be fine. I also find that the program doesn't offer enough flexibility in the selection section. It allows me to upload a previously created document to be stored that a homeowner could then log on and download. They then fill out and can't re-upload this document, so they are forced to fax or scan and email back to us. This is neither time effective nor practical. Perhaps it would be better if we were able to create a checklist that was interactive in this section, similar to the change orders where we type out the change and the client could update decisions. In our company we don't limit our clients to three choices of floor plans and two cabinet doors and 4 granite selections, they are free to choose anything they can dream of. As a result we cannot load a document that would apply to all builds. However, I believe the change orders tab is well thought out, easy to use and provides all the options to make it a valuable asset. The warranty section does a great job of tracking and notifying and saving time and assuring that service and warranty items are handled and accepted. The daily log and messaging capabilities that allow us to keep a record of notes or messages in one area logged by date and job site is extremely valuable and a good system. Furthermore, the software as a whole is easy to learn, has a logical and simple layout so even those who are not computer savvy can fumble through without creating errors and won't be too intimidated by the complexity of the software to attempt to use it. Finally, the technical support and training provided is always quick to help resolve an issue or aid in a question. New training is scheduled in a very quick time frame for free and is tailored to the person that requires it. This is handled exceptionally well in a time when often companies forget you exist once the purchase is complete. So, we have decided that we will use BuilderTrend for those things that they excel at and don't use it as a scheduling tool.

Fernando

Real Estate, 51-200 employees

Reviewed February 2024

Buildertrend

My overall experience with Buildertrend was very good. I learned how to use it and integrate my work with Buildertrend.

PROS

What I like the most about Buildertrend is that it helps me organize the projects I manage and that is user friendly and easy to use.

CONS

To be honest, I don’t think there is anything about Buildertrend that I didn’t like.

Kristi

Reviewed July 2023

Essential to The Business

I spend most of my work life in this software. It is essential to my day to day.

PROS

everything is in one spot. lead management, scheduling, invoices, order tracking/po's, to-dos, EVERYTHING

CONS

It's a little pricey but 100% worth it!!

Hi Kristi, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with Buildertrend! We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share it with our team.

Replied July 2023

Bronson

Construction, 51-200 employees

BuilderTrend - Simming Pool Remodeling Company

We have had a great experience overall. The software works great, there is little to no downtime, and the customer service team has always been prompt and nice.

PROS

It is cloud based, so you can access it from any computer or phone. The software is semi-customizable, which has allowed us to label and schedule things how we need them. We absolutely love the scheduling portion and the ability to upload daily logs/pictures from the job site for every job. There are a ton of other features that are really useful, such as the owner payment, job costing, and change order sections. Your overall experience will depend on how well you set up the program initially. If you set it up right, it is a great tool.

CONS

While the program is semi-customizable, it is not completely customizable. There is not much they can do to help if you want a feature more customized other than submit a ticket and hope other people are complaining about the same thing. But, that is to be expected with any mass sold cloud based software.

Reason for choosing Buildertrend

BuilderTrend had a better price point and they were easier to work with during the startup.

Reasons for switching to Buildertrend

We wanted a solutions where we could use smart phones to access job information and upload daily pictures from the jobs.

Jeremy

Thoughts on BuilderTrend from a Remodeling company perspective

Solved the time that it took to email out the schedule to all trades and team now it flows alot better and I answer the phone alot less. Since most of the answers trades and the team are looking for are on BT they can find most of what they need there as long as we input the info they have what they need. BuilderTrend gives me more time and freedom to do what owners of a business should be doing. It was one of the best choices I have made to start using it.

PROS

The scheduling feature is what we use most. Its nice to have all the info to our trades and managers so they are fully aware of the project, can see pictures, and have a full scope of work prior to start date. We use the estimating part of the software as well I do wish the contract section had more detail in it which I think it could if we took some extra time to develop that.

CONS

Very happy now I can have as many job starts as I would like instead of being limited. Little unhappy that I can have only 3 users and have to pay for more than 3. As the owner who does estimates I want access as a user. I also have a designer who does estimates and she needs access. I also have 2 project managers/carpenters that need access to it as well so I will be looking at having to pay for additional users on top of the price increase I have already incurred but making it unlimited job starts. Haven't fully used BT to its full potential but we will at some point. The software is top notch I don't have really any complaints that I can think of at this time.

Reason for choosing Buildertrend

Its more intuitive then some of the other programs we were looking at.

Greg

Real Estate, 2-10 employees

Custom Homes experience with Buildertrend

PROS

Scheduling, Logging, Time clocks, to do's ETC are very easy to use and extremely handy/ useful for use as a construction company for various reasons such as keeping a constant flow of action happening on our building sites and in theory there should be no gaps of time on the building site where nobody is working or unable to work, we believe keeping a consistent flow of action on a building site is possible through buildertrend and with nobody having to go out to site to check whats happening on site 90% of the time

CONS

sub contractors don't generally enjoy singing into our computer system every time they want paid or to confirm theyre gonna take action on a job ETC, this isnt to blame on buildertrend its just we struggle to get our sub contractors to cooperate using our online services,

Reasons for switching to Buildertrend

buildertrend offered the majority of things that we could not get out of co construct, The main difference between the 2 is co construct was not as efficient in getting the work we wanted done compared to buildertrend which has helped us grow our business alot faster

Greg

Reviewed June 2019

Great Organizational tool !

I love being able to track all purchases and labor against the original proposal. It allows you to learn where you are making money, and where you are losing, so you can adjust from one project to the next. In this way, you can fine tune pricing to be as competitive as possible in the marketplace.

PROS

I like the level of customization available in the software, it allows me to detail my proposals, and make them look the way I want, so they stand out from the competition. Also love the financials feature, and the schedule, so the client always knows what the project balance is, and what is happening next.

CONS

To fully utilize the software, there is a lot of data to be entered and updated regularly on a large project, which can take a fair bit of time.

Reason for choosing Buildertrend

I liked the format and tools better in Buildertrend, and was impressed at how responsive the Buildertrend development team was to changes and updates.

Jen

Reviewed June 2019

There are a lot of kinks that need worked out

Job costing has been more accurate than using spreadsheets (As long as people bring me receipts and clock in to the correct job, which has been a challenge). Customer communication has improved, and thus, customer satisfaction has improved.

PROS

I like the sense of security it provides to our customers since they can log in and see how their job is doing.

CONS

It does everything, but it doesn't do everything WELL. For instance, it does time tracking and GPS tracking.... but it only tells us where our guys are when they clock in and out. It doesn't give us a map of where they went the whole time like T-sheets did, so we have no way of knowing if someone went to the job site, clocked in and then left. It sync's to Quickbooks for payroll, but not correctly. It sends over all of the guys time as Regular time. I have to manually input their hours if I want to pay them for their overtime. It has this Buildertrend Flat Rate Code that nobody can edit or delete and it causes a lot of problems for us. The list goes on..... Whenever I ask them if they can help, I'm told, "Well it doesn't have that feature." Then I ask if they can put in a tech request, but they go on telling me how I should do it online, it will be more effective. That's not right. They should be able to put in a tech request for me and have it be just as effective as if I did it online.

Reason for choosing Buildertrend

Unknown. This decision was not made by me.

Reasons for switching to Buildertrend

Unsure. I started working for the company right afterward and never worked with UDA myself.

Diana

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2019

Easy to use and not just for building homes

I would recommend this to other companies. My friend is using it perfectly for her real estate sales and marketing company. They're not even building but I'm finding that this platform is flexible and adaptable like that.

PROS

My favourite bit about this software is that I can add as many users as I like and not incur extra charges like we do for other software. At one point we had over 40 users. It's extremely helpful to us to have this feature because as a small business, we want to grow and it's difficult to do that if we can't include all the people we need in a system due to cost.

CONS

We had issues with the cost codes. There were issues that could only be dealt with through the backend. I wish we had the ability to fix things like that ourselves including uploading a csv into the system.

Reasons for switching to Buildertrend

The other one was too difficult to setup and high cost for including users.

Diana, thank you so much for your review! It's awesome to hear the way you are using it for your business, along with your friend in her business too!

Replied October 2019

Dan

Reviewed June 2019

Buildertrend functionality and compatibility with Residential Renovation Company

Buildertrend has proven to be exactly what we were looking for to track daily functions such as Daily logs, change orders, purchase orders etc. The real time inputting of mobile devices and the function of the mobile app are very thorough and invaluable. The new internal user permissions are a bit more difficult to individualize. Edits affect all users within each label so the only way is to create a new title to edit a single user.

PROS

A great construction management tool. Offers flexibility in formatting of different components within the program. Leads are easily tracked with notifications, summary page is very thorough and useful, job info, templates, scheduling, daily logs, To-Do's, Change Orders, time clock c/w geo-fencing, docs & photos, surveys, estimates, bills & PO's, Budget and owner invoices all flow well and again are customizable to fit individual company needs. Owner view is a great option and allows for owner participation and information flow.

CONS

No tax module is addressed within the system. This adds a lot of steps and confusion to make sure taxes are added independently in QuickBooks Online (QB). It also confuses the customer on their Buildertrend site. We send all invoices out of QB for contract invoices and change order invoices. A big negative. A great management tool but weak on the interface with QB.

Reason for choosing Buildertrend

Very similar platforms. Without previous experience with a program like this we had to make a choice. We had an introduction online and were offered a concession in price and decided to give it a go. Interestingly enough UDA has tackled the tax issue and got it working from what we understand. We are hoping Buildertrend will do the same.

Dan - thank you for your review and feedback! I've passed your feedback along to our Product team.

Replied July 2019

Stephanie

Great Customizable Software

Prior to Buildertrend, we had to use three programs to manage our jobs and purchase orders, now we just use Buildertrend. We are saving time and are able to keep everything in one spot!

PROS

I love that buildertrend is so customizable. The software was able to be tailored for our specific needs while many of the other programs we looked at were not. The purchase order feature has allowed us to streamline and reduce our expense processing time. The app works well for our field operations and sales reps. Tech support and online chat people are very helpful in quickly answering questions.

CONS

Although it's infrequent, we sometimes struggle with internet connections in storm/rural areas and the software does not have an offline mode. I dislike the receive payment feature as you can't record a payment by itself, you do it inside the invoice and although you can receive partial payments, you can record multiple checks in the payment box

Reason for choosing Buildertrend

The software was customizable and was able to alleviate my pain points with our software and allowed us to reduce the number of programs we were using. The staff was very knowledgeable about their product, and designated me a rep who was familiar with construction and our accounting program for integration.

Reasons for switching to Buildertrend

Large job management - scheduling multiple scopes for multiple buildings, purchase order management between people in the field and admin, customizable document/photo folder organization

Trevor

Buildertrend Saves Time and Money

Buildertrend has been great so far and we are happy we chose to use this product. Hopefully as some of these new fixes / integrations get worked out the tool will become even more useful for us!

PROS

Once set up, there are lots of functions within Buildertrend that save us time (and therefore money). We have found our quoting processes has gone from hours or even days down to under an hour. Having a dedicated support person help walk you through set up and questions was amazing and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] (our guy) is incredibly knowledgable and if he doesn't know the answer he finds it out for you.

CONS

The integration with our accounting software, Quickbooks (QB) needs some improvement. It doesn't pass data through correctly nor does data created in QB pass back into Buildertrend very well. So unfortunately trying to get reporting on our true costs on projects still takes manual calculation. The other major drawback is there really isn't a good automatic tax feature (in Canada) so we essentially have to add a line item for each of our taxes. So if we make changes to estimate values, we need to manually update the tax lines as well.

Reason for choosing Buildertrend

Price was actually our deciding factor. Procore looked like it actually had more features / automation that we would use, however the price of Buildertrend compared to procore was going to be quite a bit more.

Trevor, thank you for your honest review and feedback!

Replied March 2020

Dustin

Reviewed December 2020

Buildertrend is not for painters

There training, on boarding and customer support is top notch! When I first started using the software I really liked it but once we got tons of leads and jobs going it became almost unmanageable.

PROS

The client portal is awesome! I wish my current software has one as nice and interactive as BT’s. The dashboard is great as well. I like the daily logs as well, it’s a great little communication tool for project management. Finally the sub portal is fantastic.

CONS

It’s difficult to run reports for lead management and marketing. When setting up the Fanny it is dependent on the previous stage, however if someone is assigned to a stage and it doesn’t get Mark as complete on the day it was supposed to there is no automatic dependency, it’s all manual. So for us when there is 30 projects in different pre, in progress and post production phases, it’s a lot to go in and figure out. If you have less than five projects going then it’s fine.

Reasons for switching to Buildertrend

The customer portal was a very attractive feature and there was zero lead management in the jobber software

Thank you for your honest review and feedback, Dustin!

Replied January 2021

Reviewed June 2019

Game changer for our daily operations

Overall we've had a very positive experience and don't foresee us switching anytime soon.

PROS

Having one place to manage all of our field operations has been a game changer. Especially the iunlimited document & photo storage -allowing us to grant access to all paperwork and details to the field team with just a few clicks. The flexibility of the scheduling platform and ability to connect tasks and create interdependent "living" schedules is great and the ability to have multiple levels of permissions for subs/clients & our team is very comprehensive as well and allows us to customize for the way we use the system. Their customer service is top notch and there is always someone available to chat about an issue and they are on top of any issues with updates and consistently adding valuable features to the platform based on very specific user feedback.

CONS

I think they need more work on the Lead/sales managing side of the platform -we had been using ACT customer management system and would love to have the ability to also manage all client contacts and leads in Buildertrend but it is not nearly as comprehensive although they did just roll out a reports function that will help I think more option for customization would be helpful. Even if they were able to integrate with ACT or the like. I also wish they integrated with more accounting software as we use Sage and it is not supported. Admittedly it is not as common as quickbooks but the lack of integration creates more work for us on the accounting side of things.

Thank you for your kind words and review, Jennifer! We also appreciate your feedback on our integrations and our CRM - I will pass that feedback along to our Product team. Thanks again!

Replied June 2019