• Pros

• "Being new to estimating this program is easy to use and customer service is top notch ! Great features fpr the price point. "

• "I like the simplicity of the on-screen takeoff. Also, support is good."

• "Able to take the most complicated site and break it down and provide cut/fill quanitities for estimates"

• Cons

• "I have no complaints about Roctek or the software. I have been using it for a couple of years and it works great."

• "Software interface and graphics are dated. Need major update. Maintenance costs are midrange compared to others."

• "Lots of good features. Not as intuitive, so requires expert support to fully maximize the product's utility."

Browse WinEx GRADE Reviews

Maicey from Serres Corporation

GREAT SOFTWARE AMAZING CUSTOMER SUPPORT!

Pros

WinEx master goes above and beyond with all of the features it offers. They are constantly coming out with updates that get better and better each time. They have the best customer support I have ever experienced. They are always available to go over any questions you have no matter how big or small. They go out of their way to help me with all of my questions and they spend as much time as I need going over difficult jobs. If I need something they don't offer (which is rare) they come out with an update with that feature! They far surpass any company I have ever worked with!

Cons

The only thing that I don't love about WinEx is the Summary reports. I find the layout difficult to read and the summary not very efficient.

Andrew from Plocher Construction Co

3+ years experience with this program

Pros

Software is easy to use making civil and utility takeoffs quick and accurate. The vendor is always there to help through any issues or confusion that you may encounter. Once grade lines are inputed, it is easy to make adjustments to get the most accurate takeoff. The shadings and maps are great for understanding the overall scope of the project that is being taken off as well as a great check and balance for the quantity computed. The program has great resources to aid in evaluating the overall scope of whatever project is being taken off.

Cons

I would say the part that I like the least is the lack of ability to import 3D CAD surfaces. Also, I wish there was an easy way to determine structure excavations and backfill. There is a way to manipulate it to get the answer needed, but it takes time, and if the region of interest boundaries are not right around the structure of interest it does not accurately calculate the quantity. I wish you could trace the structure, enter the bottom elevation and excavation slope, and get an answer without having the region of interest boundary where you may think the excavation will stop.

May 2014

Melissa from Precision Excavating & Grading Co.

May 2014

Too many processing errors.

Pros

Line tracking is is a good feature. Data input screens are well-thought-out, and graphics seem to be pretty good.

Cons

Too many processing errors. They just can't seem to get topsoil re-spread to calculate correctly. Software design seems to be a long way off from end user in terms of knowing what kind of info an excavator wants. We are excavators. Keep it simple and stop adding functions that don't work. Many other software packages cost much less with little or no yearly subscription fee.

Brian from Sawcross

Roctek support is awesome!!!!

Excellent

Pros

Support- Roctek employees get 5 stars in my book.

Cons

Takes awhile to master the available options

kirby from CPA Pavement Services INC.

Good product with no regrets

Pros

As a field guy coming into the estimating world and having minimal computer knowledge this was the easiest program to learn and become efficient with as we tried a few of the other top systems. Technical support is outstanding.

Cons

I really have no negative comments to offer. I guess the only thing I could say is the fact of needing a 'key' to run the program can be a pain as far as using it at the office and home and a second key is a little pricey for the added convenience.

Roy E. from Durr Heavy Construction, LLC

Introduction to Roctek

Pros

I primarily have always been involved with clearing and mass earthwork; started out developing cross-sections and doing all calcs' by hand; early 90's introduced and started using Paydirt and thought it was great until I was introduced to Roctek. Been using Roctek for almost year; time of establishing quantities for clearing, earthwork, stormwater, utilites, paving(s) in cut in half. Using Roctek; due to the ease and speed on on screen; provides a tremendous savings on overhead to establish quantities; one is able to have more time to analyze the project prior to bid with the tools of the program.

Cons

Do not have any issues with anything about the program

Travis from T & H Construction

WinEx Grade

My overall experience has been great. The software has allowed us to land more jobs, eliminate mistakes, and grow our profit margins.

Pros

The Support provided by the software engineers

Cons

The time zone difference of main office.

Sue from Poole & Sons Excavating, Inc.

Win Ex Grade

I took over after estimator retired - he used a digitizer board and I prefer the electronic version to do take-offs. It was relatively easy to learn for even a non-engineer.

Pros

My favorite part is being able to use the digitizer on PDF plans instead of paper.

Cons

No remote access. Must have license fob to use at different computers. I work at home and in office and I have to remember to take it and then I can't access file unless I am at that location.

Dr. Gary P. from Seven-D Construction Co.

I purchased Roctek WinEx MASTER for the more difficult Takeoffs

It helped solving some problems that we needed when we are working with Private Developers instead of Public Unit Price Contracts.

Pros

I like that you have many ways of achieving your goal of establishing the necessary Quantities. Visually it helps with the 3-D Viewer and I like that I can print Graphics Forms of the Estimate that I can include with my Bid Proposal. The Technical support is great and they adapt to your style of Bidding. There are a lot of Simple Takeoff Software Programs, but it may not get you the answers that you are looking for in a Quantity Estimating Program. Quantity Estimating Software is evolving and they (Roctek) are evolving with them.

Cons

The Reports aren't fancy looking and you have to manipulate the Data into Spreadsheets to get the information that you need, but at least you have the required information.

Reasons for Choosing WinEx GRADE

I felt I was going to get a more personalized Technical Support with Roctek.

justin from Hendrick Construction Inc.

Roctek

My experience was great! Our rep was very patient and helpful, he even helped me over the weekend to finish a job. I would recommend this software to anyone looking to buy estimating software

Pros

the simplicity and accuracy. it is built pretty well perfect for civil takeoffs

Cons

i haven't ran into anything i do not like about it

Aaron from Musa Excavating Contractors Inc.

Easy ,productive program with top knotch support!

I have worked excavating for 20 years as an equipment operator, foreman ,and site super . When i started my company I soon realized estimating was one of the hardest for me. I tried most takeoff programs and found this to be most user friendly and i could do double the takeoffs utilizing Roctek winex grade.

Pros

Cons

Havent found anything negative yet I feel its a good all around program that i feel cpuld grow with my company .

Ben from Pavecon, Ltd.

July 2011

Pavecon, Ltd. is a site work contractor. We do all things site work including earthwork, asphalt and concrete paving. I needed a software that would do it all. I have been using WinEx Master for almost 2 years. WinEx Master gives me all the options I need to put together a complete site work package. It is by far the best earthwork takeoff software solution I have found. It give users the ability to break up different work areas for earthwork so you can define undercut and back-fill, over-excavation, and topsoil replacement. I have won large earthwork projects that I can confidently say I would not have gotten without the detailed takeoff I was able to do with WinEx Master from ROCTEK. Customer support is also flawless. I am able to contact my support guy immediately at any time. The ROCTEK support staff has helped resolve any issues I have had within minutes. They know their software! They are also very aggressive about updates and improvements. They listen to their customers' ideas and suggestions and have actually implemented some of my ideas into the software, making it more efficient. It took me one afternoon to learn this software; it's very easy to use. Once you purchase the software, you will be set up in an hour and off and running. I highly recommend this software, especially for earthwork takeoff. It truly is awesome. ROCTEK paid for itself within 2 months!

Brad from TW Dirt

August 2016

Great product, easy to learn, accurate and time saving.

Pros

Software was easy to learn and the technical assistance is awesome. I really like that I can call anytime and get help with the program. The tech support is outstanding. They are continually updating the software with new features that are even more helpful and time saving.

Dalton from Avenue Grading

I've had a very smooth experience learning the software.

Customer support has easily been the best feature of the product. I have called in so many times for help and have always received clear, concise instruction. Particularly, I have liked that, for the most part, I have spoken with the same person each time I call in. This makes it so much easier to move forward because you're able to build a report with someone who can watch your progress and give more specific advice rather than speaking with a different person each time and having to explain yourself all over again.

Pros

It is very intuitive. A lot of the processes can be figured out or learned quickly simply by trying to logically approach how you think various aspects of the job site would be entered.

Cons

At this point, I do not have any dislikes about the product. I am new to this type of software so I don't currently have any criticisms.

July 2014

Jerry from Earth Solutions, Inc.

July 2014

WinEX: A fine product that could use a bit more customizable features

Pros

The help desk is quite good. The online tutorials are not as well-thought-out, yet when viewing these and asking additional questions from the support center, an answer can be obtained to any questions you have.

Cons

Customization could easily be a future add-in. Dimensioning areas of the plan would be beneficial. Part of the feature is already available. Overall, there are no areas that I like least of all, but improvements can certainly be made. Ready access to the database, to review the information this program is basing its calculations on, would be most welcome.

Patrick from Bougalis and Sons Co.

Tech support, use it.

This product is great, I've used it to takeoff a hand full of projects already (one massive project) and haven't been using it too long. Without any formal training, I feel confident doing earthwork takeoff and that I will learn the other features of this program. When I ran into problems their tech support resolved my issue and talked me through everything, making sure I understood what was going on and not just fixing it for me and sending me on my way.

Pros

User friendly interface Program functions make sense and are easy to learn, very straight forward Line tracker is great for when importing certain line work isn't possible Tech support is great, they even called to check up on me a few days after I called for support while doing takeoff on a large project to make sure everything was going smoothly No pressure sales pitch, they let the product do the selling. They even gave me an extension to use the trial software to finish a takeoff

Cons

Have not found any yet.

Nick from S&S Paving & Construction, Inc

Roctek Arizona Users Review

Pros

The Tech support is very good from the call in to actually working a takeoff question with a technician

Cons

It is very thorough and I have to catch myself and draw the line between being too anal and getting just what I need for the bid.....

Scott from Ridgeline Site Services

Roctek Review

Customer support is tops! I like the program and I wanted to be successful at using it, but we went back to Agtek.

Pros

Many nice features and simplistic approach. Customer support was awesome-- yet that is kind of the problem-- I spent too much time with them because the program logic was difficult to follow.

Cons

Snap function is horrible. Input of data lines and contours is confusing. Importing drawings is cumbersome. Inability to input annotated lines. Cut-Fill graphics are primitive. Output file summary is displayed with odd logic and on too many sheets. Training videos outdated.

Chris from Terry Estimating Service

WinEx Grade

WinEx Grade is user friendly. I like the on-screen takeoff and being able to download plans to the program without having a hard copy set of plans. The saves time which is very valuable for me and the program is very accurate. The team at Roctek has been great with their support, friendly to work with, and always eager to help. I have estimated for 31 years and have tried several different takeoff systems. For the money, WinEx grade is the best.

Pros

The onscreen takeoff. The ability to use vector files. You get a lot for your money with this program.

Cons

None

February 2015

James from Ahern Contracting, Inc.

February 2015

Good but not great!

Pros

I like the reports and how easy it is to add the materials. Please add a materials database when adding layers.

Cons

Graphics and some features are difficult to use. Yearly maintenance is expensive.

November 2013

Heath from Hutch N Son Construction

November 2013

Outstanding Product

Pros

Our company does a lot of small site work. The takeoff process used to be very time consuming for even a small amount of work. This software is extremely easy to use. It has cut my takeoff time by around 50%. I also know I can trust the quantities generated, and in the event I run into a problem, the technical support is second to none. Using Roctek definitely allows me to spend less time doing takeoffs and more time in the field.

Cons

I've been using WinEx Grade for about 4 months now and can't think of a single negative to this point.

July 2016

Lee from Bosco Contractor Services

July 2016

What I think about WinEx

Pros

There are a couple of things that we love about this product. The ease of operation and great tech support. It makes a great visual aid when taking to clients.

Cons

The thing I don't like the most is not being able to use on multiple computers without moving the key from computer to computer. I understand why the license is the way it is but being able to use on at least two would be so much more handy for our company.

Brett from Marco Group

Excellent Cut Fill Software

Pros

Cons

The fact that we are unable to use it for Site Services and Trenching or placing the foundations is a big factor

Response from Justin

Replied March 2018

Thanks for the kind words Brett! We are able to handle Site services, Trenching, Value Engineering, Sub-Surface Stata, CAD/PDF Linework Imports and much more. We tried to reach out to offer training but could not find you in our customer database. Please call 800-826-7763 for a walk-through or Job Review.

Nicholas from TMG Construction

Roctek is a Superior Product

Roctek via WinEx Master is software equipped to satisfy ALL needs. This is a powerful tool replete with superior reporting, digitizing, and visualization tools. Has many features, so it will not be something you can learn overnight, but the customer service is so outstanding that they will stay with you all night if you needed to learn it fast! Keep up the great work, Roctek Team! Looking forward to seeing how you can possibly top off this software with your new release. The company never ceases to amaze me!

Pros

Business reports are needed to make executive decisions. The reports generated here are for champion decision makers! Too much good info! Add an exceptional takeoff team, and you'll be winning projects in no time!

ROBERT from Priority Grading, LLC

Great customer service!!

I like the fact that I can call and they are always willing to help me with any problem that I have and can appreciate their knowledge and patience whenever I have a question.

Pros

Its fast and for the most part easy to use. It takes some time for me to learn how to use being that I am not that computer savvy. I do love the product and think it is the best out there for what I do.

Court from KGB Construction LLC

July 2011

My name is Court, I own a small excavating business. I was sold on ROCTEK because of the cost, ease of use, and the technical support. I have been very happy with my choice. I really knew nothing about using software to do my takeoffs before WinEx Master. They have been amazing with the support I have received. I have been using it for several months now and have really got the hang of it. I can now bid projects that I couldn't have before, and I know that my calculations are right. This peace of mind has been priceless. I have saved countless hours chasing plans around town and hundreds of dollars in copying plans. I also have been able to bid more work in a shorter period of time. I highly recommend ROCTEK to any earthwork contractor.

Randy from Strider Construction

With training the WinEx software is great to work with.

Donel has been extremely helpful in training sessions.

Pros

Lots of helpful features to create accurate takeoffs. The technical support is is extremely helpful.

Cons

Changing to super high density can take a long period of time. Otherwise, there are no other cons I can think of.

James from Ahern Contracting, Inc.

WINEX MASTER

Been using WinEx Master for about 10 years conducting earthwork and trenching takeoffs.

Pros

Customer Support is Great! Reports are good.

Ryan from The Middlesex Corporation

Middlesex WinEx Review

The product does what it needs to do. It's simple, affordable, accurate, and the tech support is phenomenal. The development team at Roctek is very responsive to suggestions; they want to make sure the product does everything you need it to do and more.

Pros

Cons

Integration between Roctek's other programs RoadEx and SoftScale would be helpful.

Brett from Marco Group

Excellent Cut Fill Software

Pros

Able to calculate cut/fills efficiently and provide accurate quantites. Provides 3d models showing before and after contours

Cons

Lack of ability to do site services accuratly and rock excavation for this. Difficult to import PDF;s and normally end up doing manually

Richard from Richard Heckman

August 2016

Great technical support for great software

Pros

The product does in minutes what used to take me days. The vendor offers great support.

Cons

The product can be a little cumbersome in some applications. The vendor's tech support is great but some times it takes hours to get a tach on the phone.

Chad from Bluewater of South Florida

Industry: Utilities

RocTek is great

Pros

I love the customer service and the constant updates that continually improve the product. It's very easy to use and has excellent graphics to check your work.

Cons

There's no instruction manual with the program. There is no really good help function, so you must call the tech support line if there is a user question.

Trey from Complete Maintenance Solutions

Love the software

Pros

Very easy to use and adapt to after using a couple times. The Roctek (Winex Grade) team is extremely good at what they do and very helpful.

Brian from Berry General Engineering

RocTek International Review

Pros

Ease of use. It's a seamless software program that anyone can pickup in a couple hours.

Cons

The printed reports need a little more work as far as development options

Brian from Navigate Building Solutions

Fantastic Customer Support Staff

Pros

The customer support staff is extremely helpful and very knowledgeably not just of their program but of general site work projects. They go beyond just supporting their software but will help you set up a project. They are very understanding and aware of your time frames for completing your projects and will work with you. I would highly recommend this software.

Cons

I have no cons at this time

Jeff from Sully Construction Company

July 2014

User-friendly and very flexible with excellent reports

Pros

The vendor responds immediately to any questions or concerns and is very helpful in solving takeoff questions. The product is easy to use and provides accurate reports.

Cons

I have no negative comments. This software meets our needs as a general contractor.

Rimi from Freelance architectural design

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Fully flexible site evaluation tool

So far excels at allowing us to develop our site survey information and collate all site data into a unified usable system.

Pros

Excellent file compatibility and ability to use our existing document types without the need for any conversion. Also the ability to digitize site information and quantify it into a usable format with our clients.

Cons

Takes some time to fully understand the interface but once you get the basics it’s allows for so much usability.

June 2011

Shawn from King's Excavation and Dirt Works

June 2011

King's Excavation and Dirt Works does a lot of cut & fill projects in Hawaii. By using ROCTEK's WinEx Master, I cut my time in half. The best part of it is it's accuracy in its cut & fill quantities. Its user-friendly and if you have any questions or run into something you don't know, a customer service rep is always more than happy to assist you. I've been in the excavation business for a while and truthfully think it's one of my best investments yet. Thanks Jim!

Jeff from Holmes Excavation & Concrete Inc.

Overall very good experience

The application specialists were very helpful and patient when we contacted them for help. Having more specialists available would speed up your clients learning curve.

Pros

This program offers a lot for the purchase price. This now gives us confidence in our takeoff quantities,

Cons

We would like to see more training videos available that we can use when we encounter questions. Having the videos means we would not have to call in for support as often.

Jeff from Superior Land Designs, LLC

December 2013

Simple and efficient to use. Great Support in getting versed in use

Pros

It's user-friendly, has quick learning curve, and is easy to use. It does exactly what I need.

Cons

I dont like having to use a USB fob for licensing. It's just something else to keep up with.

June 2014

David from Primus Builders, Inc.

June 2014

Pros

After a brief tutorial, the vendor gave me a working version to further evaluate. It's easy to use; I was up and running in one day.

Cons

The product works great; I have no complaints. The vendor is equally good.

Tracy from JS Stewart Companies

Good product

Pros

The customer service is amazing! The software is also easy to use on a basic level.

Cons

Sometimes, it's difficult to figure out how to do specific tasks.

December 2013

Kathleen from Sunco Site Development, Inc.

WinEx GRADE

Pros

It's a very straightforward program to use. Great customer service, staff are easy to reach and very knowledgeable.

Cons

We would love to see more tutorials on YouTube to walk us through all of its features.

April 2013

Erik from Ke Nui Construction LLC

April 2013

WinEx Master has everything i needed to do accurate and quick earthwork take-offs. The training was intuitive and tech support is very helpful. The software is perfect for determining cut/fill quantities. The 3D view really puts the entire plan into perspective and is also a great way to find any errors.

Yong from United Excavating & Land Development

Great Product and Support

Pros

The support is definitely my favorite part.

Cons

It crashed a lot initially, but problems were resolved with technical support.

Chris from VMG Health

Simple to navigate

Solid program, would endorse.

Pros

The overlying best part about using WinEx is that I was immediately a pro. Very easy program to navigate

Cons

Not super easy to get a hold of customer support but I only needed to ask a question once throughout the first week of using this program.

Alex from Thieneman Construction

ROCTEK Experience

This project is a very user friendly software with all the bells and whistle's. The technical support hotline is perfect when you can get my rep at they can walk you trough it LIVE helps tremendously when you in the heat of the takeoff and time is money.

Pros

Technical support to help through new task's. Ease of use with awesome features and reports. Almost every feature we can image to generate reports for a project either at the design stage or to the build stage.

Cons

I don't have the opportunity to use enough and I get a little rusty.

August 2014

Brian from H & H General Excavating, inc.

2.5

August 2014

H & H General Excavating

Pros

I like the detail of the reports.

Cons

You have to update it yourself, and there seem to be too many hidden functions. We are never made aware of any improvements.

December 2013

Michael from Kukurin Contracting, Inc.

WinEx Master Review

Pros

I like the simplicity of the on-screen takeoff. Also, support is good.

Cons

I don't like the way the software calculates laybacks.

Lance from Army National Guard

December 2013

Use mostly for budget estimates

Pros

Pretty easy to use.

Cons

I probably don't know how to use it to its full extent.