Browse Joist Reviews

Khadijah from Virtutious & vailant

Joist was my starter invoice application. It allowed my small business to go to the next level

Pros

I love that joist is easy to use from computer or smart phone on the go is not a problem. Joist is easy to use and understand even for older people who are not use to computers. When a payment is sent I can update my invoice so that I may see how much I have made even can update payment plans and make contracts

Cons

The fee for receiving payments via the app. Sometimes the site and app can be down for maintenance when I really need it

Jason from Expedition heating and air

Joist- the estimating software you've been waiting for

Joist not only acts as a great estimating / quoting software. It functions as a decent crm, tracking customers email views and allowing you to sort them in multiple ways. Financing is built right in, making it a seamless presentation tool. You are also able to take payments. Pictures and documents can be uploaded right to your proposal. Different contracts can also be attached for commercial, residential, new construction etc.

Pros

Joist is simple to set up, use and demonstrate. Estimates can be emailed or texted right to the customers phone.

Cons

Lacks more robust features other offering in the estimate software category have. Not quite a full featured estimate software or crm but a very functional combination of both.

Reasons for Choosing Joist

Markate was and is a close runner up. As our business scales up we will likely love on to markate.

Reasons for Switching to Joist

House call pro was very robust but felt a little top unorganized for the price I was paying. Joist is 1/10th of the price and has many of the same features in an easier to use package.

matthew from M. Brown Heating and Air Conditioning

Works great for invoicing

Pros

The app itself works great. Very helpful to email customer a invoice, estimate or a receipt right on the job

Cons

First- I wish when I look up a Customer Support, it would not only pull up his contact info, but also a history of his jobs/invoices Second- when you have customers pay with cc, joist uses WePay to process. WePay is a joke, zero communication, they went right into my bank acct and stole money simply because a customer clicked a dispute button because he was mad I didn't answer my phone when my sister was in a hospital.GONE and only through chats online have I received a pitiful notice that it will take up to 45 days to return my money, even after it took the blink of an eye to steal it. Crooks! And I will stop using joist just because of this instance. Boot WePay, hire a legit company like PayPal and I'd come back. Until then, I'm looking for new invoice company.

Russell from Island Mowing Co

Industry: Environmental Services

Started using Paypal

Who are a few bumps here and they're doing the years that we use the app but they work through it with us and we were solved it and they improved their app but they really messed up and they start using PayPal PayPal is the worst absolute worst company to deal with the customerservice does not exist you can't speak to a human ever they are a joke and they offer invoicing I don't know why joist would have done this..[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was over the top at his job. He contacted us to see how we were even after we left the app joust

Pros

Easy , quick good looking invoices, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] the emoyee was incredible even after we left because of PayPal. I just wish they offered more than one pay source

Cons

PAYPAL. THEY RUINED THIS APP..customer service was over the top with joust, but with PayPal its nonexistent..they are rude if you get someone almost annoyed..usually they only want you to use community...we hate that

Reasons for Choosing Joist

Easy

Anthony from City Decks New York, LLC

Excellent App Bad Tiered Pricing

Overall I like using the app and customer services has been good, I'm just not pleased with the new pricing experimantation going on

Pros

The app works perfectly and what I like the most is the notifications it provides when my clients open up their email and when they view the estimate.

Cons

I'm not happy with the tiered pricing the company has commenced to implement, I am currently a paid joist pro member and have been happy using the app for its functionality, recently the company has introduced a second tier plan (Joist Elite) that bring more features to the app, some features dont really justify the upgrade however this tiered pricing implemented as a as we go along basis and not from app commencment feels a bit unfair for already paid members who feel left out or feel our current membership wont get any new updates. One can say they can keep stacking tier after tier Joist Gold JOIST ultra etc.. It feels more like a pay for extra features on a subscription based offered than an actual upgrade in tier For that they should have offered one time payment upgrades.

Michael from SOUTHERN RUSTIC

Very useful!

Overall, it's very useful and become an everyday tool for my business!

Pros

With time, as items are added, it becomes very easy to generate a great looking Estimate.

Cons

At first, it's time consuming, adding items slowly.

Reasons for Switching to Joist

For a better looking document presentation.

Rj from MYP

Love Joist but support resolution has difficulty

Professional look and on the spot updates for materials used and labor expended which really increases accuracy. I really really love this product... I just hope I can get the email thing worked out.

Pros

For Free software I can't complain - it does a great job at almost everything. I have several friends that are now using it and love it. I don't use Quick Books but it does have a sync feature if you use QB. It takes a little getting use to when adding Items and clients but once it is set up it is awesome!!

Cons

The only problem I am having is sending email from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A device. I can create invoices but when I send them it acts like it works but doesn't send anything. I have had a ticket open for several weeks with little being done. I can send from my PC and my Phone but not my tablet. It is like it does not send my email request to the Joist server. I believe the problem to be with the APP itself. I am waiting on someone to call me that can look at my account while I am sending email to see what if anything they are getting from my app.

Jerika from Zuckerman's Pest Management

10 out of 10 hands down

We have used Joist and recommended this to many for years! It is one of the best programs I have used for agreements. Integrates photos, multiple addresses, save frequently used items, easy export- the perfect solution for a company on a budget!

Pros

ease of use, price, reliability, functionality

Cons

ONLY complaint is not capturing IP address/digital signature being more secure

Joist was the first software we used for painting estimates

Pros

I liked how it was an estimating software and a CRM all in one. I also loved that I could send out formal Invoices.

Cons

It didn't have any way to have customers pay online which made my job a lot more difficult since I had to chase down payments and wait for checks.

Michael from Moaglee

Remodel Handyman-

I like joist and continue to pay for them as a backup for receipts and invoices.

Pros

The ease of use and ability to make simile changes on the fly.

Cons

Super limited in use. Does not have drop down menus of materials or labor costs in each industry.

Kate from Aubrey Construction

Contractor’s best friend

Love love love this. Cant say enough good things about Joist.

Pros

Absolutely love this program. Use it all the time for estimates. Has an incredible system for estimates, invoices, payment, and overall management.

Cons

Was a little difficult in connecting with quickbooks, but not horrible. Also while I know they have to make money, a few years ago the program was free, now has a pro option on order to access all features.

Nachman from EMC

This is one of the best app finds !

Pros

This program does everything high priced software does, and it absolutely FREE!!! And not only is it not bogged down by ads, the developer has been adding more free stuff at a rapid pace, from taking credit card payments and e-checks directly though the app, to adding features to the quotes and bills themselves. Now, while this software is made for general contractors, i use this for my own art and technology business. And the few times I had questions, emails were returned with in hours!

Cons

To be honest, there really are no cons to this software. It is truly a work of art. You can tell that this app was created by someone who truly "gets it".

Juan Carlos from Clog Pro, Inc

Excellent

Pros

Very user friendly and looks great. Estimates and invoices look very clean and professional. Customers can pay with credit card or electronic check, excellent feature.

Cons

Like all of it. There should be a way to notify and remind customers that they have an unpaid invoice.

Tahsin from Lakeshore Builders Restoration

Easy to use, your business will cruise

It’s been my go to software. Use it at least 1-2 hours a day. Great software for specifiers, estimators and Sales.

Pros

Very easy to use, the layout and interface is fantastic. You can integrate quick book with it. Create estimate within a minute and email it to your customer.

Cons

Can’t add photos of an item. You have to add separate as an upload option but not as an individual item

Myron from R & R Lawns

Fast, clean interface

Pros

The Joist interface is all about speed and ease of use. Even on slow network connections, Joist remained zippy and far less painful to use than other cloud-based systems. Solid set of features, even in the free version.

Cons

We deal with a lot of monthly-invoiced, repeat customers. I wish Joist would add support for customer credits. Some of our customers would send a large check to cover several months, and there is no easy way to make Joist account for this scenario. We ultimately moved to another invoicing platform, but would certainly reconsider Joist if this feature is ever added.

Jose from Intelligent Design Energy

Outstanding tool. A must for all contractors.

I can do estimates and bill clients on the spot. Customer love how they get a quote, invoice and or receipt right-a-way. I like how easy it is to use and how it has a web interface as well as the phone ap.

Pros

The mobile app and web interface are outstanding. It is so easy to generate a quote, invoice clients and record payment. The ability to email or text the invoice to clients is awesome. Custom contracts and phone inclusion allow for a wide range of customization. The ability to export clients is a huge time saver. I love how I can get an email copy of what is sent to the client.

Cons

The function on the mobile app and the web interface are different. I wish it had the ability to export info to excel or other format.

Alan from Construction

Don't Mess with My Money

Do not use this app if you expect to get your payments in a timely manner, despite their "$10,000" limit they will hold funds of much lesser amounts and then dictate what they feel is require on your invoices to get paid. All while holding funds from your fully paid invoices!

Pros

Convenience and phone based with a decent layout, hard to compare as I have only used PC based software

Cons

Not stand alone, seems developers have contant access to all your transactions and can and will dictate when they will release your funds and how you should fill out your invoices.

Great, fast invoicing system

Use Joist for free-lance work and love the speed and ease of use that Joist provides. A great no-fuss invoicing solution without being weighed down by full-blown accounting software features.

Pros

Speed is king with Joist, whether using their web interface or the excellent mobile app. The app is fast and responsive, even when operating on a fairly weak data connection. For quick and dirty invoicing, it's hard to beat the speed and efficiency of Joist.

Cons

For recurring customers that like to pay ahead, I wish there was an account credit feature where you could add a credit to the customer account and then simply apply remaining credit to a new outstanding invoice.

Michelle from Belfay

I would not recommend

my experience has not been positive, more frustrating to try to get this software to do tings it can't than anything else

Pros

Great software tool for the construction industry, does what it needs to to send out basic estimates and invoices to customers

Cons

this software is expensive and doesn't go the extra mile hard to use and understand does not track percentages correctly nor does it show the percentage of billing to the customers

Jaime from Mr. Alligator Renovations LLC

The best business app

excellent.

Pros

Simplicity, easy to use, keep every record.

Cons

When you sign or your customer and you modify the document you have to sign again, and again.......

Matt from Kirkland Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc.

Great Product!

Pros

This has been an excellent product that our company uses for estimates. The best feature is that it is free! The presentation is clean and simple. We love the product and the customer service is great.

Cons

Would love to see a Good, Best, Better format in the future. We would definitely pay for a subscription for that format.

Stephen Olawale from Sunilar Nig.Ltd

A PORTABLE INVOICE APPLICATION

it has helped me to do without my pen, and i have been able to keep records up to date of all invoices

Pros

I was able to start with a trial version then later i purchased a full product because it was helpful for my accounting and all round cost estimation daily, and i also document every payment made daily

Cons

the challenge involves sending invoices has emails, i think the product experience some network or web glitch, and the interface resolution not too good enough, but still manageable

MICHAEL from IE Handyman

Admin

Pros

Great program always works and easy to use.

Cons

Can not find anything wrong very happy.

Greg from Lees familypainting

Don’t bother

Was ok however price was too high and wasn’t going to give that much personal information out to use program

Pros

This product has potential like how it’s laid out pretty easy to use from a business standpoint and has different things you can do

Cons

If your using this app for payments you must give social security number to set up also cost to use program is really high in comparison to other much better products out there shop around

Priscilla from Quality HVAC & Refrigeration, LLC

Josit Review

Pros

That you can access your company information from anywhere. The ability to invoice out in the field.

Cons

I did not like that you can not run credit cards directly thru joist on the spot.

Excellent for a small business owner

This is a good product. The only drawback is that it can't handle scheduling in addition to it's other functions. If I was working by myself, I would probably use it -- the pricing is really good.

Pros

Joist gives you the ability to keep track of customer information, produce invoices onsite, and bill all in the same package.

Cons

It didn't have all of the features I was looking for.

Ken from Samaritan Construction LLC

So simple and free.

Speed and efficiency. It simply makes my life easier.

Pros

The software is web based, in other words it does not reside on your local computer. But it doesn't matter since all you invoices, estimates and bids reside online. This is very simple software to get used to even for busy contractors. My thanks to the developers.

Shawn from Lux Electric

Encrypted to protect you and your customers data

Pros

Professional appearance. The documents made with my customers are official legal binding documents. It saves clients, and line items

Cons

I wish I could set up a saved "notes for customer" section so that I do not have to write up a full contract every time. The headers, and footers are saved.

Micahel from Koolzone Refrigeration /Tradeforcetech

This software simply works.

Pros

The ease of use for this software has been a welcome change to the paper I used to use with spreadsheets etc. this software allows easy business operation.

Cons

No integration with other software when I grow, and speed of use within the app. better attention to quotes pushed to invoice will greatly help.

Emily from ZiworX Inc.

Simple

Joist is super simple and very user friendly. The one struggle is when searching by phone number, address, email. The system will not find the customer of the information you entered. It can only search by name. That makes it difficult at times.

Pros

Easy to navigate Can input pictures in the estimates/invoices

Cons

Can't assign more than one user Can't search a customer by anything other than the name

Kyla from Maids In A Minute

Pretty Good App for Invoicing On The Go

Easy product for creating quick invoices and having clients pay securing.

Pros

This software is easy to use and straght forward. It allows you to easily create invoices from your smart phone or tablet on the go, and have a customer put in their credit card information directly, which keeps their information secure.

Cons

There are limits to the type of invoice you can create, and the invoices can only go to one person (the account manager). There is no way to copy another email address (such as accounting) so management can review what is going on directly.

Eric from EAD Unlimited Inc.

Customer Service is NON EXISTENT

Customer support is non existent. For over a month I have been trying to contact someone. I am ready to get my money out of there and delete this app from my phone.

Pros

It was convenient to use as far as sending estimates.

Cons

The fact that you are unable to get in contact with customer support. I have had documents in review for over 3 weeks. One of my clients made a payment 2 weeks ago and I have been trying to contact someone from Joist to try and get access to my money with no luck! So for over a month I have been trying to get in contact with someone from customer support.

Youba from Haidarabros

Good for contractors

Pros

I like the estimate and invoice feature the most

Cons

would be better if I can import contacts directly from my phonebook

David from Aspen Wood

Paid but Contractor Never Got the Money, May be Fraudulent App

Great at taking your money, very hard at getting the money to the intended group. We're now working with Visa on a chargeback case as the app appears fraudulent.

Pros

As an end user, the experience was great. I received an invoice from a subcontractor for ~$13K. I was quickly able to click and pay, but then...

Cons

A month after I made the payment the subcontractor called us for collections. After a lot of back and forth, it hasn't been resolved. Chatting with their support today their response was "I see the delay and I completely hear you, You could ask the contractor to contact us and we would be able to speak to him and help him with this definitely." Essentially, other payment apps like square are same day or next day payouts. They are now asking that I send joist photos of the job and sign documentation. Is this a payment app or title company? In short, we stepped into a mess with this app.

Elizabeth from Zion Pros

It's okay

We have used a couple different programs for invoicing but Joist is not as all inclusive as others. It is good for estimates and invoicing, but as far as CRM and running reports it is lacking in those areas. It is very user friendly, but just needs a little more in the CRM and reporting areas.

Pros

It was easy to build an estimate and input customer information.

Cons

It is not trackable like other programs we have found.

Cindy from Solution Source

Joist

Pros

Great software for preparing and submitting field estimates while on job site.

Cons

We need the ability to include our contract verbage into the proposal at the time sent for client approval.

Martin from Cinch Construction LLC

Industry: Building Materials

I found what I needed for my startup company with Joist.

I am starting up my construction company and needed a estimator program that would not take a lot of working capitol to get started. The program proves to fit my current need in giving my customers a professional and complete estimate.

Pros

easy to use and maneuver around.

Cons

Needs to have links to tax rates

Kevin from K&R Solid Foundations

They don't give you your money when paid in a timely maner

My experience with the bid creation and invoice is fine. My issue is with the payment processing. I was paid $40,000 and am still waiting to get my money over two weeks later. If I would have just let them mail me a check I would have had the money in my account ten days ago. I am now trying to run a business with no funds to pay anyone. I am working a large job and rely on the construction draws to pay contractors and employees but when this company is holding my payment for what is said to be 18 days total it is devastating.

Pros

It is easy to use to provide a bid or invoice. DO NOT USE IT FOR PAYMENTS!!

Cons

DO NOT USE THIS APP FOR ANY PAYMENTS. IT IS POSSIBLY THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN.

Carrie from Treasure Valley Exteriors

Joist

I really like how it is easy to use and pay invoice.

Pros

I really liked that is was easy to use. Simple to set up pay invoices that were sent. Can save data if want

Cons

Some issues with submitting payment. Not excepting payment that was submitted after the first time..

Andrea from Modern Concepts Designs

Industry: Building Materials

PAyment online

BAD!!!

Pros

I like the estimate and invoice section NOT the online payment part

Cons

I had a client make a payment over 10 days ago over $10000. AND i HAVE STILL NOT RECEIVED IT! There is no phone number on app so you have to go through a "chat" system and basically no excuse just a sorry and it will be deposited on the 3rd which will make it 13 days total. This is unacceptable I have a whole job that has stalled due to this! The last payment my client made took a week and it was $720.00 I will never ever use this app again!

Dimitri from KD Carpentry

Nice Start up

was good for the beginning

Pros

gives you a nice platform for estimating and invoicing simple but professional

Cons

its limited to financial aspect. its not for managing project or tracking.

April 2016

Eric from Division 7 roof consulting

April 2016

This is an easy to use ,on the go software,for today's fluid projects.

Good support,line item estimates,all from your iPad. Print,manage,Go!