MacDraft Professional Software Reviews

Find out more:

Find out more:

Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"Scaleing was easy, importing Chinese words was great."
  • icon"The UI looks nice and - after some getting used to - the app is quite easy to use."
  • icon"Which I find tremendously fun and refreshing, like drawing on paper, only you have precision, dimensioning, and you can rearrange everything."
  • icon"Problems with writing notes on drawings. Hard to select text and modify that which was written."
  • icon"Extruding lines from objects sometimes distorts and moves the objects. This happens when you extrude from corners."
  • icon"I did contact “ sales” and was told this happened because I had Scales showing - wrong."

Have you used MacDraft Professional and would like to share your experience with others?

All MacDraft Professional Reviews

Excellent 2D Drawing

I've been using MacDraft for years, in its various iterations, primarily to produce blocking diagrams for theatrical performances. The latest version is even more powerful than the earlier ones. Sure, there's a bit of a learning curve, and I know I'm not using even half the power of the app, but it's versatility has won me over. There are plenty of other drawing applications available, but for the combination of features I want, plus a relatively low price, MacDraft takes the cake!

Pros

Ease of use combined with power.

Cons

I can't find any way to set up various preset groups (e.g., line weight x, line color y, line style z), so I have to select each one individually

Jerome

Review of MacDraft Professional 7

Using the application to design furniture and built-ins

Pros

I like the ease of use and the fact that it is not cluttered with features not required for 2D drafting.

Cons

1. I would like to be able to close or hide the Libraries tile. It blocks the Parameters tile and I have to scroll down to get to the 'Parameters"of Length and angle, etc. 2. I would like to be able to snap to a predefined distance from an end or a corner of an object. For example, to be able to snap to a location 25%, or 1/3 from an end of a line or corner of a rectangle.

Reasons for switching to MacDraft Professional

Vectorworks was getting too bloated for my needs and too expensive.

Response from Microspot

Hi Jerome, Thank you for the review! You can hide the library tile by dragging it down to the bottom of the right panel, it be there as a small pop up button. As for snapping to a location 25% or 1/3 from the end of a line, it would be great to get more information on this if you could contact us via support@microspot.co.uk :) Microspot Team

Thomas

Industry: Fishery

President

I use it for design work for our shellfish plant, flow charts for food processing, diagrams for publications, grants. I am a very visual person and have talent in expressing difficult concepts in flow and logic charts. We even have our oyster farm inventory on a Macdraft file that we update daily with changes. I'm the guy who deleted MS Office from all our business computers and went to Google Docs and Sheets because it has all the function I need for 99.9% of what we do without the intolable complexity of Word and Excel. Please keep MacDraft simple for us customers who are to simple minded for Word, Excel, and CAD.

Pros

Frankly, I have been using MacDraft for 30 years because it was easy, not overcomplicated, and I don't like to learn new overly complicated programs. I likely had on of the earliest versions of MacDraft from the earliest days 1990s...

Cons

The biggest problem I have with the software is that it creates progressing errors in measurements when you do some of the more advanced moves. It always has. Example - I will set the grid to 2" and do a layout, then suddenly it is doing 1" then 11/64" and so one after doing a rotation or inserting one of you templates. I wish you would fix that. It has been aggrevating for 30 plus years. I would expect that the new ownership would have resolved that. Also, you have made the dimensioning tool almost unuseable in recent versions. What's that about?

Reasons for choosing MacDraft Professional

I'm not completely opposed to progress, but resist change just because some software engineer thinks it's cute. By and large your company has kept MacDraft fairly simple and that is why I continue to be a customer I do like the templates and am using them more and more. Just frustrating that the round off keeps generating errors.

Walter

Thank goodness for MacDraft Professional 7

I am a woodworker, and I make engineering drawings of my projects prior to building them.

Pros

This program has all the easy use features of the original MacDraft of which I was a Beta Test professional in the mid-1980's.

Cons

I did not like the fact that I purchased MacDraft and within a year had to purchase it again due a change in the Mac operating system.

Reasons for choosing MacDraft Professional

I liked the continuity of usage from the "old programs" I learned on. All the same "tricks" work, plus there are additional features.

A Charmed Drafting App

Okay, all software, even the *really expensive* stuff, has things that aren't bugs, but which bug you. MacDraft just seems to have fewer of them. Its deficiencies notwithstanding, this thing is my favorite design tool except for pencils. I look forward to using it every day. It's 'craft-based'. Which means, in my (cough cough) rather long experience, I've found that the simpler the tool, and the more craft is involved in its use, the more powerful it actually is. Think of pencils, for example. Or a Japanese carpenter's toolkit: two saws, two planes, a couple hammers and a set of chisels in an old wooden box with a snap line and some ink. Get a bunch of these guys together and they can build a temple, perfectly, really fast. MacDraft can claim some of that in digital terms: It's pretty minimal, but so far there's not much I can't do with it. Each drawing seems fresh because there's nothing standardized in it, it's all stuff Iactually drew and *meant*. And somehow that comes through, that somebody thought about and 'touched' everything in there and consciously put it where it is. I don't know why that comes across, but it seems to, and I think clients notice it, again subliminally maybe -- but a lot of good design is like that.

Pros

About six months ago while searching for a simple drafting app for small projects around the office, to use when I didn't want to fire up CAD, I downloaded a trial version of MacDraft. To my surprise I began using it right away on almost everything — full presentations, maintenance instructions, info manuals, notes, letters that needed a sketch in them, doodles. I haven't looked back. So far no regrets about canceling my subscription design package. Though I still use a 3D modeler and occasionally import images from it, mostly I make perspective sketches inside MacDraft. Its page layout and presentation tools are, I think, brilliant and straightforward. I've been using and contributing to design and modeling software for 35 years, but as it's gotten more sophisticated, it's gotten intrusive, and I'm even a little alarmed at how it influences how we work. MacDraft, though, is just a very competent, clever drawing and illustration app with a suite of good drafting and dimensioning tools. With that you can do almost anything. It's not automated, there are no `workflow` considerations. You can start anywhere and just make what you like. And it has minimal `cognitive overhead`; it doesn't much condition what you design. Which I find tremendously fun and refreshing, like drawing on paper, only you have precision, dimensioning, and you can rearrange everything. I think our clients are more engaged with our presentations now, and they seem more involved, which I like.

Cons

Even with the new 64 bit architecture, MD is boggy if you have imported a lot of photos without trimming them down quite a bit (which you can do inside the app). But still. I think this can be fixed. The new UI is beautiful to behold but, with the absence of floating palettes, you have to move around a lot more now to picking tools, then choosing modifiers on the other side of the screen. If there were programmable shortcut keys, even just five or ten of them, that would make things much easier, and faster. You wouldn't have to look away from the drawing, which helps. It's still a bit unstable. I see other users notice this. It's mandatory to make frequent, serial updates, especially if you did something tricky or the app sputtered for an instant. The following things alarmed me at first (and they should probably be remedied): 1. You cannot trim an arc or a spline. 2. You cannot pull parallel lines off arcs or splines. 3. You can't snap to intersections. 4. You can't batch trim lines. 5. You can't snap to lines, just endpoints. I thought these were deal-breakers at first. They turned out not to be, as most of that functionality can be achieved easily by other means (clever tool set). That said, they *are* deficiencies. These features are commonplaces in drafting apps. They would make the program substantially stronger. I would guess that a lot of potential users run across them, and before they figure out the workarounds, they get discouraged miss out.

Reasons for choosing MacDraft Professional

Honestly, it's the most fun. I think some of it stems from MacDraft's roots in illustration. You can *draw* in it and fool around. It seems to encourage a kind of chance-taking. You know, scribble now, measure later. It's very enjoyable. I look for excuses to use it.

Reasons for switching to MacDraft Professional

Vectorworks really is quite a marvelous program (I used it on and off since it was MiniCAD), but as it 'grew up' it started (unintentionally, probably; I know how coding goes) making too many decisions for its users. This is a subtle thing, but I'm far from being the only designer who notices it. This is one of the reasons the principles in many preeminent firms keep drafting boards in their offices, sketch a lot, and don't do CAD. It captures a fairly large amount of the user's attention (the dreaded 'cognitive overhead', like having a parrot on your shoulder), and in a certain way (subtle, again), it creates tendencies that subvert the instincts of the designer. I'd already gone back to manual drafting for a lot of the initial work on projects, yet when I turned to VW to create the presentation, I felt cramped and dissociated from what had been so immediate just previously. It made using it somewhat dissociating and something to just 'get through', which is bad for the work. I don't get that when I use MacDraft. It doesn't bother me, and it fact it allows me to check my work and try out things I hadn't maybe seen before. Kind of a reverse-CAD-effect. I actually believe, if you the apparent structure CAD or modeling seems to provide for you, then something went haywire, and you'd be well to go off somewhere with a cup of coffee and a sketchpad for a while. If you wandered off with MacDraft on your laptop, it might come to the same thing, or almost.

Phillip

Phil's MacDraft Pro 7 upgrade reactions

I have been able to move from my previous version without much difficulty. Probably because I have kept my work simple.

Pros

The drafting tools and other left side menu items that I use have remained the same. I have not yet tried to make my own library items and hope to do that too because many of the default images are not useful to me. I have found out that I can change the black background to a lighter color by upgrading my OS but I have always been afraid of messing up what I am used to. Someday I'll make that jump. Ability to shade that to a lighter gray would be nice. The page selection allows me to make up a border or a graphic that would open with the page selection. I am looking forward to having that set up on my version. If only I had time to practice all these options. I'm still woking on it but the DWG has proven to be a little problem. As I get used to it I think I will like it as the tool to send out CAD drawings that can be translated to others programs. Presently I need to put it through my 'Vectorworks' to have a DWG that others can work with. I think this is moving to a more professional and respected by others program.

Cons

The side panels previously in menu boxes on the side seem to take a lot of room. I cannot remove them because they are constantly in use. As boxes I could move and rearrange them and omit some of them. I miss that option. I really miss the options to have line options, level option and alignment boxes opened at the same time. Some of the key options are eliminated such as bring to front or to back. An item copied from a PDF or the library land on the page as a much reduced image. Translated from a PDF they land in the upper left corner rather than where I click for them to land. Sometimes this takes too much time to recover them and stretch them to the correct scale. Locating the writing icon on the page is difficult. I would like it to show up a little darker. On the last version the icon would break in where I selected and now it lands at the beginning of the paragraph. The icon is so light I cannot tell where it is located.

Reasons for choosing MacDraft Professional

Talking with others I began to think again that the conversion would take a long time to adjust. The expanded options offered in the MacDraft advertising made this option the most likely.

Response from Microspot

Hi Phillip, Thank you for the review! Great to hear you're getting to grips well with MacDraft 7. We fully understand why you might miss the palette system, we are always open to new ideas so if you would like to discuss further how we might better implement the single screen system we would love to hear from you via support@microspot.co.uk. Microspot Team

Ellie

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Much Needed Revamp!

Absolutely love it. I don’t miss the previous versions at all. I have been using MacDraft since 2014, and this new version was definitely needed. Checked all the boxes!

Pros

I am easily able to import and manipulate CAD files. Most of my clients work in CAD and it would be so frustrating with previous versions when the files wouldn’t open or wouldn’t be compatible. It also eliminated any issues exporting my MacDraft files to CAD. Also, having all the tools available is great! When they were on individual palettes, I would frequently “lose” the palette when I was working with multiple monitors.

Cons

Not all items will import, and will just eliminate them from the drawings. There have been one or two instances when the file I was sent was using some feature in CAD that macDraft didn’t have and I was missing a large chunk of the drawing. Also, when I group items together to make one item, and then try to line it up with other items, it still recognizes each individual item instead of recognizing all items as one item. This can be frustrating because I have to make sure I select the exact part of the grouped items. This is minor but not an issue I had with previous versions.

Response from Microspot

Hi Ellie, Thank you for such a great review! You refer to CAD throughout your review and I imagine you mean DWG/DXF files. If you have files that you know are missing data, along with an image of what the file SHOULD look like please send them over to support@microspot.co.uk and we can take a look. We majorly improved DWG/DXF support in MacDraft 7 (as you mentioned) but if we can improve it even more then that will benefit everyone! :) P.S. the align functions not recognising groups is a bug which has now been fixed. We will have a free update (7.0.1) going out next week. Microspot Team

Mike

MacDraft Professional 7

If one were coming at version 7 for the first time, it probably is easier to get used to, than if one has been a MacDraft user for a number of years. I have not enjoyed using version 7 and continue to use my older versions for most of my work.

Pros

I have been a MacDraft user for over 15 years and found it is an easy and comprehensive drafting program to use for my architectural practice. It was easy to learn, inexpensive to maintain, and had excellent graphic quality.

Cons

The version 7 has been difficult to get used to. The revised desktop is drastically different from previous versions and had to be totally relearned. While one used to be able to view all the tool menu bars at the same time on the screen, now one must continually switch between 4 different drop down menus to access alignment tools, layers, and colors and patterns. It is not nearly so convenient. There is little about the new version I find improved, other than the template set-up options for sheet layout.

Response from Microspot

Hi Mike, Thank you for the review, I will be getting in touch to see if I can help you out on the latest version. Its a shame you are finding the new layout difficult to use so we would like to help. Microspot Team

Mac draft for 34 years

I use the program to draw house plans mostly. Also I like to use it to design interior finishes like tile and trims in unique patterns.

Pros

I had many versions of Mac draft. I started recently with version 5 and 6. The latest one version 7 is quite a bit different than the previous versions. I have been able to fine what I need but takes some practice to get work done fast again.

Cons

When converting to Autocad format the program has limitations. So I wish this feature worked better and others with auto Cad could review my work.

Response from Microspot

Thank you for the great review! You havent left a name but if you can contact us with any questions regarding DWG we would be happy to answer them. MacDraft Pro 7 uses the latest DWG file format so there shouldnt be any issues :) Thanks!

MacDraft 7 The First Month

Pros

I love MacDraft it is super fast and really like 7 with the autosave Time Machine saving version, but still, need to trust more not a MacDraft issue but a MacOS one :) The new version has excellent DXF and DWG capabilities and is much faster than version 6. Overall it is a great upgrade.

Cons

One significant disadvantage for me is the locked Tool Palettes I cannot mix and match them like in version 6. I can not even put them on a 2nd screen. It misses with my workflows, and it is funny how it bugs me. It right now is the biggest reason I have jump all in on. The other small reason is I can not save to version 6 don’t get me wrought I understand why but I would have preferred it to have happy in 7.3 let us say. To get time to be able to work out all the newness of 7.

Response from Microspot

Hi John, Thank you for the great review! We understand your reaction to MacDraft going from floating tool palettes to a single screen app but hopefully you will come to love it in the near future. Microspot Team

Henk

Henk 123

I use Macdraft for a combination of building layouts *architectural) and the design of building utitlities (HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical etc.). It is a simple to use program.

Pros

Simply to use after a period of training

Cons

Missing the function : SAVE AS and the set up of a printer. In MacDraft Professional 6 it was more clear and better in relation with other computerprograms.

Reasons for switching to MacDraft Professional

Only on cost base and simplicity

Response from Microspot

Hi Henk, Thank you for the review! We really appreciate it :) I just want to point out that Save As is now called 'Duplicate' and still has the same CMD-Shift-S shortcut as before. MacDraft 7 still draws the information from your printer so any printer set up on your machine should appear when you go to print, if it doesnt, please get in touch and im sure we can fix this for you! :) Microspot Team

Replied June 2019

Been using MacDraft for years! New update is great.

I render right into the specification detail that I create and I find that to reflect realistic visuals for client evaluation.

Pros

The update is consistent with features of previous versions. I use it to draft details specifications and than render into those details, occasionally bringing over pdf and jpg , sizing them to drop in!elements from other apps.

Cons

I am not sure that I like the layout sizing as compared with older versions. Maybe I am just not use comfortable with it and that will change as I go forward with projects.

Response from Microspot

Hi John, thank you for the great review! hopefully you will get used to the new layout (I presume you mean the centred document) if you prefer the old way you can switch back to it via MacDraft > Preferences > untick the centred document toggle. Thanks again! Microspot Ltd

Replied August 2017

Thomas

It has replaced 4 software design software programs and is my "Go To"!

It is clearly worth the money. I have used and upgraded the program since the first version and expect to use it until and even after I retire from my company.

Pros

It has a quick "snap to" for faster rendering of design projects. Also, it has the depth to do it all.

Cons

The changes have not always been intuitive and the menu for help does not often respond to my questions.

Reasons for choosing MacDraft Professional

The value and function are perfect.

Reasons for switching to MacDraft Professional

Just tried it out and it was easy.

Response from Microspot

Hi Thomas, Thank you for the great review! Microspot Team

Replied December 2020

Gordon

Industry: Building Materials

Full featured and easy to master the basics

As easy to use as MacDraw and earlier versions of MacDraft but many, many more features.

Pros

I am retired. Before I retired I frequently used MacDraw and a much earlier version of MacDraft to make simple dimensioned sketches for product inspection instructions. I was looking for a similar basic application to use for home projects, such as providing information for prospective home improvement contractors to bid on. I found that MacDraft Professional 7, although it was more expensive than what I had in mind, was so full-featured that it was worth the money. I haven't used all the features but what I have are familiar and easy to use.

Cons

The user manual MDFT7-050319PB has quite a few errors and typos. I haven't checked recently to see if it has been updated.

Reasons for switching to MacDraft Professional

I retired and did not have a drawing/drafting application on my personal computer.

Response from Microspot

Hi Gordon, Thank you for the excellent review. I hope you continue using MacDraft throughout what sounds like a well earned retirement! We are aware of the errors in the user guide and are working on a new version. Microspot Team

Replied January 2021

Jon

Great product for the price

Mostly positive. Many great improvements in the new version making it much less tedious to create accurate drawings.

Pros

Mostly intuitive and simple to use. Clean new design is so much nicer and more user friendly. I especially like the snapping feature in the latest version. It makes it so much easier to align objects. The cost is is low. I have used Mac Draft for years and feel it has been a great asset to use in my custom cabinetry business.

Cons

Two things I like least: 1. I’ve always wished they would improve the zoom functionality. A scroll wheel zoom would be so much faster. MD’s latest version still only uses zoom presets. The whole zoom thing just needs to be a lot more fluid to glance around quickly. I would love to see that changed. 2. The measure tool. Please make it one function for any direction. Choosing between horizontal/ vertical/ diagonal is really clunky.

Response from Microspot

Hi Jon, Thank you for the nice review! Great to hear you enjoy the new snapping and alignment features. We have improved zoom in the upcoming 7.0.1 release however you cant scroll to do so as you suggest, although the zoom level has increased. We will definitely look at the dimension tools and see if that is a possibility for a future version. Thank you for the feedback, we really do appreciate it! Microspot Team,

Marc

Great for a the occasional woodworder

I'm a woodworker but I also use it for drawing my house projects. I also coach Eagle candidates for the Boy Scouts and it come in handy for showing them dimensions etc. I've using MacDraft since ....?1988? When did the first MacIntosh come out?

Pros

The new features in the side panels make it easy to get to some of the features I use alot. One of the these is resize. I use it all the time and this makes it easy. The whole look and feel has been upgraded.

Cons

I want to have more shortcut keys. command-d for duplicate for instance. I also don't like that you don't offset the dupe like you used to.

Response from Microspot

Hi Marc, Thank you for the review! Its great to know you feel the program is easier to use :) As for the keyboard shortcuts, CMD-D does duplicate with offset (there was a bug which has since been fixed in version 7.0.1) and CMD-Shift-D duplicates without offset. What other keyboa