• Pros

• "Price point, Easy to get started. Easy to use. Drawing line weights always look professional. "

• "Very versatile. What I like best is that it uses standard Architectural scale but it is fairly intuitive. The Pro version lets you output to .dwg or .dwx files and that it very useful. "

• "I like the user friendly interface and the wide assortment of tools."

• Cons

• "The user guide is pretty good, but it would be great if there were a publication like "MacDraft Pro for Dummies" available as a resource. "

• "This version has a few bugs that are annoying but can be worked around. "

• "Some hiccups from the last update that are a bit annoying. And, it can take a bit more time than I like. Despite that I can still arrive at my goal. "

Browse MacDraft Professional Reviews

Nick from Tech Wise Development, Inc.

Great update, more modern features

I routinely import a scan of my designer's hand drawn floorplans and work with them in MacDraft. I can overlay the computer drawn plan and work with it very well.

Pros

I have been using MacDraft for at least 20 years. Over that time, it has become a mature, useful tool for me. Although I have used Autocad before, I find MacDraft so much easier to use and 'Mac-like'. Not all the tools are intuitive, but easy enough to figure out with online help. With the new update to V7, the interface has been cleaned up significantly, and everything is easier to use. I now can do my work in less time, and achieve better looking results. I really appreciate that Microspot continues to update this great piece of software.

Cons

Some of the tools look different than the last version, so there is a bit of a re-learning curve. That's not to say that once learned, the improvements are evident.

Response from Microspot

Replied July 2019

Hi Nick, thank you for the great review! We really appreciate it. Its fantastic to know you are enjoying it and getting on with MacDraft 7. If you need any help refamiliarizing yourself just drop us an email at support@microspot.co.uk Microspot Team

Sisto from qBit SDF

Very useful 2D CAD tool

Generally the graphic interface (UI) of this version is closer to the way other 2D CAD works and for my activity MacDraft 7.x it's ideal.

Pros

The new 7.x version is certainly more user friendly than all previous versions. Better stability. Better speed. All the necessary tools are just a mouse click away.

Cons

However I would like to underline two aspects that I would like to personally change: 1) It would be nice if the actually list of various fonts, showed their real graphic appearance, otherwise for the desired choice, I necessarily to scroll through and view them all and it is a waste of time. 2) For small projects where only one A4 sheet is enough, the one-page scroll on the 27 "screen is too reactive at the touch of the mouse; sometimes it comes out of the visible area and makes it take a little time to bring it back in the working position. Certainly this is useful with worksheets greater than A4 in the landscape version. It would be really useful if the user could activate or deactivate this function directly from the "Preferences" panel.

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

Perhaps because I have been using it for decades (about 34 years), but for me MacDraft is an App which I use like a pencil, without worry and waste time to understand how to use the various tools...

Response from Microspot

Replied July 2019

Hi Sisto, Thank you for the great review! We really appreciate it. You can actually do this with text: 1) Write some text 2) Hit CMD + T to open the font book 3) Click the font book so it is active 4) Select any font 5) Use the up and down arrows to scroll through the fonts and they will update live in the document :) As for the 2nd issue of scrolling, could this be down to the scroll speed of the mouse? You can change that in system preferences OR you could hit the 1:1 tool to better zoom out. I hope you see this response but I will also email you it :) Thanks again Sisto! Microspot Team

Jerry from Lucas and Son Construction

Home plan drawing

I have been a Mac Draft owner since its origin. Other soft ware has advanced much faster than. I regret that I haven't learned to use the CAD programs. It would be really nice to draw a floor plan and then be able to rotate it into a 3D drawing. I expected much more from this upgrade.

Pros

The update makes the program commutable with the new Mac operating system and makes it possible to use older files. The tools are easy to identify and use.

Cons

Very disappointed with the templates. I ordered the entire package with all templates. I expected the templates of architectural features that are used in the drawing of house plans that include plumbing fixtures such as sinks of different sizes, toilets, bath tubs, showers, and appliances. Electrical symbols that depict light fixtures, electrical out lets, bath fans, ceiling fans. Furniture images to depict bed sizes, sofa's, tables, chairs, TV's. Doors that shows the door swing. I would like to down load PDF drawings and then make changes. If that is possible I would like to know how to do this. I would really like to down load a photo of a house and then be able to draw over it to demonstrate alternatives to owners. I guess that I was hoping for more.

Response from Microspot

Replied July 2019

Hi Jerry, Thank you for the review. Let me try and answer some of your concerns: 1) There arent any additional templates in the different packages, all versions get the same templates. However the Symbols (libraries) are whats different, as you have the complete pack there will be lots of the symbols you mention. There are doors, fans, toilets, baths, showers, TVs, chairs etc please get in touch so I can show you where they are :) 2) You can simply drag a PDF into MacDraft and draw over it as an image. Unfortunately you cannot edit the data as it is an image but if they client sending you a PDF can send you a DWG file then you can fully edit that! 3) Again, you can simply drag an image in and draw over the top of it, you can also go File > Import Image. 4) As much as we would love to add 3D elements to MacDraft in the future, MacDraft is purely a 2D CAD software. Unfortunately there isnt a 2D > 3D button :( I hope this helps! Microspot Team

Marcy from MH Brafman Studio

Industry: Fine Art

MacDraft is a Secret Shouldn't Be

I really like this application and have been with it for awhile. I like the combination of precision and intuitive.

Pros

Cons

Some of the tools and windows are a little wonky. Wish I could figure out how to change the font for a whole document. Opening .dwg files from another native application could be more accurate. The Zoom function should be more controllable. Wish .mcd was useable anywhere else. Having to translate and port things an extra layer of work.

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

Price and learning curve. AutoCAD still over my head. Vectorworks too expensive. I have no training in digital design and taught myself MacDraft. It was the first design software I used and got used to it.

Response from Microspot

Replied January 2021

Thanks for the fantastic review Marcy! - Microspot Team

Ivan from Cardinal Allen Catholic High School

MDP 7 - Personal thoughts

I like the program. I want to use it seriously but unfortunately in its present iteration, I cannot. As previously said, I have lots of experience in using lots of CAD software, I would like you to have a rethink of the workflow issues. For reference, please take a look at http://www.ilexsoft.com/highdesign/ The workflow is pretty good but I do get a few issues using it on my macbook air. It looks like they are developing it to be full blown BIM, which I don't need - hence the switch to MDP. Simple, workflow efficient 2D cad with awesome output possibilities is what I need.

Pros

On the whole, it is a good CAD tool with fairly good features which I really want to use as my primary CAD software solution. I like the fact that it can be easily used for 'graphics' and 'page layout' too. I can use it on my Macbook air.

Cons

To be honest, I like the software but your workflow really does need addressing for me to use the software for serious architectural designs. As I have moved from seriously high end CAD programs and use it for small architectural projects as well as the possibility for using it in school for CAD/CAM and presentation. I sooo want to be able to use MDP for all architectural projects but in its present form (I know that you have added lots of features from the previous version), I just cannot use it due to workflow issues. When drawing architectural elements, something which should take just a couple of mouse clicks in other software programs, ends up taking significantly more in MDP. I have logged a lot of this in the forums - your response has been fairly quick but the solutions come across as a long winded 'work around' to achieve a relatively simple task. This is the reason why I am not currently using the program daily or weekly. I want to be able to offset angular lines in just a couple of click with specific dimensions, not just dragging them and relying on grid snaps. The solution given in the forums was painfully long - you could not afford to do it in practice. I want to have the ability to have full customisation of dimensions - leader lines and weights, arrow heads, scale/size of everything. Currently, the tool is too constrained. I want to be able to create symbols at various scales and drag and drop them into a drg and they will be the correct size. I can go on..

Reasons for Switching to MacDraft Professional

As I teach more than I practice architecture, I could not justify the £1000 upgrade cost. With HighDesign 2017 - Some issues with running on my macbook air and they have not upgraded their product for some time.

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Ivan, Thank you for the honest review. We would love to hear more on how we can improve the workflow of MacDraft for you. We will take a look at ilexsoft and try an incorporate improvements in the future. In reference to the library items, we draw them all to scale, so they will appear scaled on different layer scales, you can drag an item in UNscaled by holding the shift key as you drag it in. We hope to hear from you soon! Please get in touch via support@microspot.co.uk Microspot Team

Wayne from Colorado Technology Company

Industry: Broadcast Media

MDFT Pro 7 Upgrade for 10 year+ user...

Overall, I'm pleased with the new Version Pro 7 of MacDraft. It has been my drawing program of choice for more than 10 years and I look forward to getting further along in the new version to fully realize all the improvements. I trust my comments provide some useful feedback. As someone who really tried to learn autoCAD and failed miserably, I am SO GLAD to have your product in my tool bag.

Pros

With the new version 7, I find I like how all the drawing tools are laid out in just a couple of windows so that they are readily available. It appears the new "titling" version is better but I'm still on the steep part of the learning curve getting used to the changes

Cons

1) The new work flow to "Duplicate" a file and then "Save" seems counter intuitive to the former "Save As" function. Not quite sure what the thinking was there !?! 2) It appears that I cannot change the default font color. Titles I create start in sort of a TAN color and then I have to change it to black or whatever... 3) The "Enter" or "Return" button does not exit you out of the title creation phase. Rather it just gives you a carriage return in the title block. In order to get back to the cursor, I have to hit "ESC". Yikes ! ...shades of AutoCAD nightmares !!

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

I initially looked at AutoCAD several years ago because of the prevalence of that product in the construction and design industries. However, most of what I do does not require that sophistication - Boxes, Lines, Titles, color. No 3D. Having always been a Mac User - MacDraft has been the one program that fits best with the way my brain works and how I want to express my ideas.

Response from Microspot

Replied October 2019

Hi Wayne, Thanks for the great review! Let me answer your cons :) 1) 'Duplicate' is a new system feature which removes the save as feature, this was out of our control unfortunately :( 2) Colors are saved in your preferences, choose your colors as normal then go MacDraft > Preferences and choose what you wish to save by default 3) We feel its important to offer the ability to add a carriage return in text boxes, hopefully you get used to hitting Esc Thanks again Wayne and enjoy MacDraft 7!

Art from Twin Pines Enterprises, LLC

Easy to use, versatile, stable, affordable 2-D CAD

I use scale drawings in my workshop, going to the print shop, getting building permits, and sharing with contractors. It's never let me down.

Pros

I've been using MacDraft since the late 1980's. I've used it for everything from designing simple posters to very complex buildings costing 6 figures. Version 7 is a major upgrade with refinements of its interface and individual tools. I'm always nervous when software makes a big version change. The switch to version 7 has been smooth and free of anything but good surprises.

Cons

Some keyboard shortcuts were changed between version 6 and 7. But I see the logic in the changes and I am adapting.

Reasons for Switching to MacDraft Professional

Version 7 is totally 64-bit and will therefore be compatible with the next MacOS update. And I like the new interface.

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Art, Thank you for the glowing review. Its great to know you have stuck with us for coming up 40 Years! We would love to see some of your work, drop us an email at support@microspot.co.uk or find us on Facebook (Microspot Ltd). Thanks again, Microspot Team

Doug from Doug Smith Architect

REVIEW

Slightly frustrated - I am looking for a simple easy to use 2D draughting programme with the functionality of Vectorworks. This doesnt quite make it but it is better than other low-cost software for Mac.

Pros

Reasonable price.. it works OK once you get used to it. Works on Mac.

Cons

1. Problems setting up dwg/dxf imported drawings - setting size and scale. 2. Tools do not stay for repeat use. Need to be reselected each time. 3. Trimming is cumbersome - line by line. Ref 2 above. 4. Some of the tools are a bit cumbersome.

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

MacDraft tools are a easier to use.. But much easier to import dwg/dxf drawings. Din't like the use interface.

Reasons for Switching to MacDraft Professional

MacDraft tools are a bit easier to use, and don't need the 3D capability. But much better import dwg/dxf drawings.

Walter from Self Employed

Thank goodness for MacDraft Professional 7

I am a woodworker, and I make engineering drawings of my projects prior to building them.

Pros

This program has all the easy use features of the original MacDraft of which I was a Beta Test professional in the mid-1980's.

Cons

I did not like the fact that I purchased MacDraft and within a year had to purchase it again due a change in the Mac operating system.

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

I liked the continuity of usage from the "old programs" I learned on. All the same "tricks" work, plus there are additional features.

Imadur Rozan from ITI

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Best CAD software for Mac.. now with Many Improvements!

Basically, architect and artist are similar, when it comes to creating fantastic and beautiful concepts or design, they have to be in a good mood, and good mood can only be achieved if the environment or tools they're using convenience and comfortable. So does with this software, the nice and cartoonist like UI is great and eyes catching, not too complicated but it does a tons of stuff!

Pros

this app is not only the best CAD software for Mac, but it also let you do many and more things beyond conventional 2D drawing like creating realistic and more vibrant looking landscape design, adding colours to the classic 2D floor plans, create exploded axonometric drawing and details, town planning or a large scale project area and mapping, even creating illustration and comics! it's like you can working on the Architectural poster by adding digital drawing or analogy right after working on the plans in a glance.

Cons

despite the software ability that let you create multiple different works, its amazing features and UI interface, the Macdraft is still limited to MacOS devices and unavailable for Windows, Operating system or other platform.. just like the Name after all ("MAC" draft). hopefully the developer will release and make this software available across multiple different operating system and platforms, especially if you have to work using different devices with different operating system.

Michael from Adaptive Terrain Sys. (div. of Soilutions,Inc)

A Charmed Drafting App

Okay, all software, even the *really expensive* stuff, has things that aren't bugs, but which bug you. MacDraft just seems to have fewer of them. Its deficiencies notwithstanding, this thing is my favorite design tool except for pencils. I look forward to using it every day. It's 'craft-based'. Which means, in my (cough cough) rather long experience, I've found that the simpler the tool, and the more craft is involved in its use, the more powerful it actually is. Think of pencils, for example. Or a Japanese carpenter's toolkit: two saws, two planes, a couple hammers and a set of chisels in an old wooden box with a snap line and some ink. Get a bunch of these guys together and they can build a temple, perfectly, really fast. MacDraft can claim some of that in digital terms: It's pretty minimal, but so far there's not much I can't do with it. Each drawing seems fresh because there's nothing standardized in it, it's all stuff Iactually drew and *meant*. And somehow that comes through, that somebody thought about and 'touched' everything in there and consciously put it where it is. I don't know why that comes across, but it seems to, and I think clients notice it, again subliminally maybe -- but a lot of good design is like that.

Pros

About six months ago while searching for a simple drafting app for small projects around the office, to use when I didn't want to fire up CAD, I downloaded a trial version of MacDraft. To my surprise I began using it right away on almost everything — full presentations, maintenance instructions, info manuals, notes, letters that needed a sketch in them, doodles. I haven't looked back. So far no regrets about canceling my subscription design package. Though I still use a 3D modeler and occasionally import images from it, mostly I make perspective sketches inside MacDraft. Its page layout and presentation tools are, I think, brilliant and straightforward. I've been using and contributing to design and modeling software for 35 years, but as it's gotten more sophisticated, it's gotten intrusive, and I'm even a little alarmed at how it influences how we work. MacDraft, though, is just a very competent, clever drawing and illustration app with a suite of good drafting and dimensioning tools. With that you can do almost anything. It's not automated, there are no `workflow` considerations. You can start anywhere and just make what you like. And it has minimal `cognitive overhead`; it doesn't much condition what you design. Which I find tremendously fun and refreshing, like drawing on paper, only you have precision, dimensioning, and you can rearrange everything. I think our clients are more engaged with our presentations now, and they seem more involved, which I like.

Cons

Even with the new 64 bit architecture, MD is boggy if you have imported a lot of photos without trimming them down quite a bit (which you can do inside the app). But still. I think this can be fixed. The new UI is beautiful to behold but, with the absence of floating palettes, you have to move around a lot more now to picking tools, then choosing modifiers on the other side of the screen. If there were programmable shortcut keys, even just five or ten of them, that would make things much easier, and faster. You wouldn't have to look away from the drawing, which helps. It's still a bit unstable. I see other users notice this. It's mandatory to make frequent, serial updates, especially if you did something tricky or the app sputtered for an instant. The following things alarmed me at first (and they should probably be remedied): 1. You cannot trim an arc or a spline. 2. You cannot pull parallel lines off arcs or splines. 3. You can't snap to intersections. 4. You can't batch trim lines. 5. You can't snap to lines, just endpoints. I thought these were deal-breakers at first. They turned out not to be, as most of that functionality can be achieved easily by other means (clever tool set). That said, they *are* deficiencies. These features are commonplaces in drafting apps. They would make the program substantially stronger. I would guess that a lot of potential users run across them, and before they figure out the workarounds, they get discouraged miss out.

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

Honestly, it's the most fun. I think some of it stems from MacDraft's roots in illustration. You can *draw* in it and fool around. It seems to encourage a kind of chance-taking. You know, scribble now, measure later. It's very enjoyable. I look for excuses to use it.

Reasons for Switching to MacDraft Professional

Vectorworks really is quite a marvelous program (I used it on and off since it was MiniCAD), but as it 'grew up' it started (unintentionally, probably; I know how coding goes) making too many decisions for its users. This is a subtle thing, but I'm far from being the only designer who notices it. This is one of the reasons the principles in many preeminent firms keep drafting boards in their offices, sketch a lot, and don't do CAD. It captures a fairly large amount of the user's attention (the dreaded 'cognitive overhead', like having a parrot on your shoulder), and in a certain way (subtle, again), it creates tendencies that subvert the instincts of the designer. I'd already gone back to manual drafting for a lot of the initial work on projects, yet when I turned to VW to create the presentation, I felt cramped and dissociated from what had been so immediate just previously. It made using it somewhat dissociating and something to just 'get through', which is bad for the work. I don't get that when I use MacDraft. It doesn't bother me, and it fact it allows me to check my work and try out things I hadn't maybe seen before. Kind of a reverse-CAD-effect. I actually believe, if you the apparent structure CAD or modeling seems to provide for you, then something went haywire, and you'd be well to go off somewhere with a cup of coffee and a sketchpad for a while. If you wandered off with MacDraft on your laptop, it might come to the same thing, or almost.

Phillip from Phillip D. Johnson Architect

Phil's MacDraft Pro 7 upgrade reactions

I have been able to move from my previous version without much difficulty. Probably because I have kept my work simple.

Pros

The drafting tools and other left side menu items that I use have remained the same. I have not yet tried to make my own library items and hope to do that too because many of the default images are not useful to me. I have found out that I can change the black background to a lighter color by upgrading my OS but I have always been afraid of messing up what I am used to. Someday I'll make that jump. Ability to shade that to a lighter gray would be nice. The page selection allows me to make up a border or a graphic that would open with the page selection. I am looking forward to having that set up on my version. If only I had time to practice all these options. I'm still woking on it but the DWG has proven to be a little problem. As I get used to it I think I will like it as the tool to send out CAD drawings that can be translated to others programs. Presently I need to put it through my 'Vectorworks' to have a DWG that others can work with. I think this is moving to a more professional and respected by others program.

Cons

The side panels previously in menu boxes on the side seem to take a lot of room. I cannot remove them because they are constantly in use. As boxes I could move and rearrange them and omit some of them. I miss that option. I really miss the options to have line options, level option and alignment boxes opened at the same time. Some of the key options are eliminated such as bring to front or to back. An item copied from a PDF or the library land on the page as a much reduced image. Translated from a PDF they land in the upper left corner rather than where I click for them to land. Sometimes this takes too much time to recover them and stretch them to the correct scale. Locating the writing icon on the page is difficult. I would like it to show up a little darker. On the last version the icon would break in where I selected and now it lands at the beginning of the paragraph. The icon is so light I cannot tell where it is located.

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

Talking with others I began to think again that the conversion would take a long time to adjust. The expanded options offered in the MacDraft advertising made this option the most likely.

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Phillip, Thank you for the review! Great to hear you're getting to grips well with MacDraft 7. We fully understand why you might miss the palette system, we are always open to new ideas so if you would like to discuss further how we might better implement the single screen system we would love to hear from you via support@microspot.co.uk. Microspot Team

Ellie from Powerfull Systems

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Much Needed Revamp!

Absolutely love it. I don’t miss the previous versions at all. I have been using MacDraft since 2014, and this new version was definitely needed. Checked all the boxes!

Pros

I am easily able to import and manipulate CAD files. Most of my clients work in CAD and it would be so frustrating with previous versions when the files wouldn’t open or wouldn’t be compatible. It also eliminated any issues exporting my MacDraft files to CAD. Also, having all the tools available is great! When they were on individual palettes, I would frequently “lose” the palette when I was working with multiple monitors.

Cons

Not all items will import, and will just eliminate them from the drawings. There have been one or two instances when the file I was sent was using some feature in CAD that macDraft didn’t have and I was missing a large chunk of the drawing. Also, when I group items together to make one item, and then try to line it up with other items, it still recognizes each individual item instead of recognizing all items as one item. This can be frustrating because I have to make sure I select the exact part of the grouped items. This is minor but not an issue I had with previous versions.

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Ellie, Thank you for such a great review! You refer to CAD throughout your review and I imagine you mean DWG/DXF files. If you have files that you know are missing data, along with an image of what the file SHOULD look like please send them over to support@microspot.co.uk and we can take a look. We majorly improved DWG/DXF support in MacDraft 7 (as you mentioned) but if we can improve it even more then that will benefit everyone! :) P.S. the align functions not recognising groups is a bug which has now been fixed. We will have a free update (7.0.1) going out next week. Microspot Team

Jennifer from J. Designs

Great product for interior design business

Love this product...have been using for about 10 years. Run it on my iMac and MacBook Air. Current 6.2 version is the best to date. I was trained on AutoCad back in school and before opening my own business, used AutoCad at the various firms I worked for. When I started my own business I needed a drawing program, but one that could easily work with an iMac. I was happy to find MacDraft. The transition between AutoCad and MacDraft was pretty seamless, there are differences between the two programs, but if you understand the basics of cad drawing, there should be no issues. I use MacDraft for everything design related...furniture plans, cabinetry elevations in bathrooms and kitchens, designing custom furniture, tile detail. Highly recommend this program. And customer service is great...always able to connect with someone who wants to help.

Pros

Cons

I miss some of the features that are on AutoCad. Dimensioning things can sometimes be a real task. Lining things up, copying small images...I do lots of tile design for bathrooms and kitchens, and getting real detailed and lining things up and be a challenge with this program. I've also found that if I've worked on a document over and over again, which some of my projects take months to create, the document seems to have weird layout issues. Shapes refuse to line up and when I copy and paste, things are completely out of whack. I've learned many things by trial and error on how to manipulate the program, but after all this time using this product, still catch myself trying to do auto cad shortcuts.

Gary from retired

Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

MacDraft Pro continues to improve and add features but is still as simple to use as ever

I've been using MacDraft since v. 1 in 1985. Back then it was as easy to use as Apple's MacDraw but could accurately maintain scaling when moving an image from one drawing to another with each drawing in a different scale. Now, with many more features and capabilities, Mac Draft 6.2 is still extremely easy to use. This new 6.2 release has a variety of GREAT new features but without a doubt, my favorite is the "page centering" feature. In the past when you opened a drawing and dragged out the size of the window you were using, it was almost always a two-step process: you placed the size of the window you wanted on your screen and then you'd move the image where you wanted it in that window which invariably was in the middle of the window. Now, from the first placement of the window to subsequent adjustments, your image is always in the center of the window regardless of whether you are resizing from the right or left side. This centering of your document also provides an extra benefit: the Dead Zone. Not as macabre as it sounds, the Dead Zone is simply a place off to the side of your document where you can place objects that you do not need in your image at the moment but do not wish to delete. So, whether it be furniture, straight lines, or sizing rectangles, simply move them off the document you are working on onto the gray "dead zone," and they will simply just "sit there" waiting to be used or not. And anything off the document will not print. So, such objects are "off" but not forgotten--just there when you need them. Other great new features are custom guides (dragged from the ruler) as well as Smart Snapping of objects where the top, center, and bottom of an object can snap to another object at the same points. The Welcome screen provides a variety of help features but if that's not enough, there is also a new Helper Palette that will provide basic instruction on any of the tools. Besides the Help provided in the Welcome window, there is also a "New" tab with both blank documents and many templates to help you get started in a variety of directions. And yes, there are all of your recent documents for you to continue to work with. Despite all of the many new features (I've only pointed out a few). The overall MacDraft application is still the same MacDraft that longtime users have enjoyed for years. Easy to use with powerful performance.

Pros

Ease of use and powerful capabilities

Cons

Occasional bugs that need to be addressed. (Not as if I've ever seen any software to be bug-free.)

Gordon from Fife Council

MacDraft User

I use it as a tool for visualising and realising projects. So if I were designing a house I can see what it looks like and also work out some of the construction problems as well as making timber cutting lists

Pros

New layout quite logical with one minor detail see below. I like the home library and again wouldn't it be good if when you drew a curved shaped lawn you could fill it in with a grass texture.

Cons

I don't like the select arrow key being moved to the left hand side. Let’s say if you draw a rectangle and colour it in (working on the right side) you then have to go to the left side to the select button. Now this may seem a minor complaint and one I should get used to but I don’t and usually several times during a session I have to undo a lot of rectangles because of this. When the select key was on the right hand side it was second nature. Couldn’t you put another select button on the right hand side? And for goodness sake change the default "hide metric units" to "show metric units" It is a pain when using the measuring tool and it just shows a number. It could be anything The other thing is the angles. It makes sense to me to make it like a compass rose with North at the top ie 0 or 360 degrees and 180 degrees to the bottom.

Response from Microspot

Replied January 2021

Hi Gordon, Thanks for the great review. I understand the issue with moving the tools to the left and attributes to the right although we do have keyboard shortcuts for the tools on the left. If you want to select the arrow tool with the keyboard you can simply hit V or Esc. I hope this helps! - Microspot Team

Arthur from Arthur Reed would artisanA

Elegant improvements

As a professional, I have been using MacDraft from its earliest stages – I’m 70 years old, and I think I started using it when I was in my 30s. It was most helpful then - now, it’s core to my own envisioning of work before us. In any case, the elegance of this latest version fits so intuitively within my “builders mind”. The tool pallets are now organized as a surround to each drawing itself. And they have so much breath and depth of function! The overall result is effortless manipulation of the development of the project itself. MacDraft 7 Professional has been honed to a razor sharp edge, making it so very clean & precise in the visualizing of an emerging design! Part and parcel to all of this is the availability of the team that has developed MacDraft Professional 7 to its current excellence, for and continues to interact so willingly with those of us who use it. Congratulations on a great outcome!

Pros

Each drawing carries ALL drawing tools-And these tools represent the full array needed to fully imagine something under design.

Cons

Because of its radical reworking, the learning curve to become fluent in MacDraft Professional 7 required a substantial investment of energy - energy that was completely restored & rewarded by the new plateau this program has achieved.

Response from Microspot

Replied October 2019

Hi Arthur, Thank you so much for the fantastic review. We try and take all of our customers ideas and improvements on board and build them into future versions and its nice to hear that you appreciate the efforts. If you ever need anything, please dont hesitate to get in touch with us. Microspot Team

Robert from Yes& Holdings LLC

Deceptively Powerful, Easy to Use CAD

Pros

I'm biased because I have been using MacDraft continuously for thirty years, but I believe it is very usable and full-featured for its modest price. The latest version has made substantial improvements to the interface, incorporating clever ways to make commands accessible while still leaving plenty of real estate on the screen for designing. With a little practice, an amateur like me can create very precise drawings and designs, and do so rapidly. Printouts are clean and accurate.

Cons

The latest release (7.0) is a little buggy . I expect that the issues, which are minor annoyances rather than major flaws, will be resolved in the next version; but it is a shame they were not addressed before launch. The interface is not very customizable, so there is no way to hide or move features that I seldom use. But you can't have everything.

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Robert, Thank you for the review :) Its great to hear that you are continuing to enjoy MacDraft! You are right, there were a few bugs in the release version which were brought to our attention from users such as yourself. You'll be glad to know that the upcoming 7.0.1 (free) update address those. Thanks again and keep enjoying MacDraft 7 Microspot Team,

Terry from T.A. Van Auker Woodworks

Long-Term User

Pros

I run a one-man woodshop. Design/build. Free-standing furniture, specialized cabinetwork, like library walls, off-the-wall woodworking projects. You never know what a client might want. No kitchen cabs, no re-modeling. I've been using MacDraft through many iterations, since late 1990. I've always appreciated its intuitive nature, much like Macintosh computers. (Although, Macs aren't quite as intuitive as they used to be, but there you are, what can be done, time marches on).

Cons

Honestly, my only pet peeve regarding MacDraft is this, (very small): When you're drawing a series of very long, thin rectangles; say a series of mullions in glass cabinet doors, routinely one or two of them will be visually miss-matched in width, even though the software assures me that all the widths are the same.

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

I've alway been happy with the software, and have never considered switching. Also, I've done many hundreds of drawing over the years, from simple 3-views for a small humidor, to shop drawings for reproductions of Frank Lloyd Wright furniture and cabinetwork in the restoration of a local Prairie House. I like the fact that newer versions, (up to a point), are capable of bringing up old drawings.

Response from Microspot

Replied December 2020

Hi Terry, Thank you for the fantastic review. If you could send across an example of the visual error you are receiving we would be happy to take a look and see what is going on. You can reach us at support@microspot.co.uk Microspot Team

Mike from Mike Iverson-Design/Build

MacDraft Professional 7

If one were coming at version 7 for the first time, it probably is easier to get used to, than if one has been a MacDraft user for a number of years. I have not enjoyed using version 7 and continue to use my older versions for most of my work.

Pros

I have been a MacDraft user for over 15 years and found it is an easy and comprehensive drafting program to use for my architectural practice. It was easy to learn, inexpensive to maintain, and had excellent graphic quality.

Cons

The version 7 has been difficult to get used to. The revised desktop is drastically different from previous versions and had to be totally relearned. While one used to be able to view all the tool menu bars at the same time on the screen, now one must continually switch between 4 different drop down menus to access alignment tools, layers, and colors and patterns. It is not nearly so convenient. There is little about the new version I find improved, other than the template set-up options for sheet layout.

Response from Microspot

Replied July 2019

Hi Mike, Thank you for the review, I will be getting in touch to see if I can help you out on the latest version. Its a shame you are finding the new layout difficult to use so we would like to help. Microspot Team

Bob from Bench Mark Designs

Old Hand

I have almost 200 houses in the design process at varying stages and without Macdraft I would be a million miles behind by now.

Pros

It's ease of use, very much like using a drawing board select a pen draw a line with it, what can be easier, I design house and find the software suites me just fine, I have been using it since it first launched.

Cons

The present Pro 7 issue is wonderful and most of the initial links have been sorted, I would dearly like to re arrange the side panels and custom them much lieke the top tool bar also make them adjustable in width as the Layer panel has very little room for labels and able to see the scale.

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

It's the best and I have got others on board, builders, developers and architects. Also some clients, as they can take my drawings and move forward with their own versions of the schemes.

Reasons for Switching to MacDraft Professional

Dreams was no longer supported on the newer macs.

Response from Microspot

Replied July 2019

Hi Bob, Thank you for the fantastic review! Its great to hear you say 'very much like using a drawing board select a pen draw a line with it, what can be easier' this is exactly our intention with using MacDraft as a draftsman's table! Microspot Team

Delmar from TRAX Industrial Products

Industry: Plastics

Satisfied new user -

We had been using a very simple drawing software that hadn't been supported for several years. For us, it worked as good as we needed. When it ultimately quick working because of equipment upgrades etc. we were at a loss for a simple drawing program. MacDraft Professional 7 has allowed us to provide the simple drafting projects we need for our customers as well as for our manufacturing team. It's also allowed us to design new equipment and procedures internally. We are amateurs when it comes to drafting programs. If it was too complicated or time consuming, it wouldn't have worked for us. MacDraft Professional 7 is turning into exactly the software we need to support our business.

Pros

Every day I'm learning how to use this software, it's capabilities, and how it can support our manufacturing team and our customers. It's easy to use from the first download and your growth can be as fast as the time spent working with it. It will do everything we need plus.

Cons

I'm yet to find a con for this software. If I had to say something, I'd say that it's more complicated than what we'd been using which has led to more time to learn how to use it.

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

After an initial review of MacDraft Professional 7 and communicating with their Representative, we made the decision to order three licenses for our office. It's turning into the right decision as we continue to learn how the software can make us a better company.

Reasons for Switching to MacDraft Professional

The program we had used for years was discontinued and no longer supported by the company that produced it. Our customer base commonly requires simple drawings.

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Delmar, Thank you for the fantastic review. We really appreciate it. Im not sure what else to say other than if you need anything in the future please do get it touch but it sounds like MacDraft 7 is doing great things at TRAX and we would love to see some of your work! Microspot Team

Michael from Design Collective Group Inc

Long Time MacDraft User and Still Happy

I have been a MacDraft user for at least 15 years... maybe 20. It just gets better for 2-D drawings. I use Chief Architect software for most of the drawings we need to do but using MacDraft for elevations and small details and then importing the drawings as PDFs into Chief Architect makes the work flow much better. I would like to have MacDraft training videos that showcase the new features when they are introduced.

Pros

With the recent upgrades, the system works much more smoothly on my Mac. While I have yet to grasp all the new features in this current version, I try to take one feature every week or so and get familiar with it... adding it to my skill sets.

Cons

There still are some cranky elements... like when doing dimensioning and being able to start a measure and end where it should. And "releasing"a tool still seems to be a bit of an issue... when wanting to go to another tool.

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Michael, Thank you for the great review :) We hope to have new training videos available soon! I recommend turning on 'Object Snap' when using dimensions as this will snap to the points on objects you are trying to measure, it might make it easier for you. Microspot team

Kevin from HZ Electrical Services Ltd

Easy of use of MacDraft 7

The help line and over the phone knowledge of the tech support is second to none. These guys are so helpful and nothing is a issue to them, the best software I have used for years,

Pros

Very easy to get round the tool bar, lines- objects- the list goes on and on, so much easier than Autocad.

Cons

Nothing brilliant software to use with know issues

Reasons for Switching to MacDraft Professional

Autocad was to complex- MacDraft has the same features but so much easier to work with.

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Kevin, Thank you for the glowing review! We really appreciate it, let us know if you need anything and we will be sure to help! Thanks again, Microspot Team

Edward from RedHawk Consulting

Replacing the Old with the New

All in all, I'm ecstatic with Microspot MacDraft, 6.2 and 7, as I am now using modern equipment and technology with the ease of my old, trusted program from way back when - all at an affordable price. AND, when I had questions, I was able to write to England, and invariably the next morning a reply would be waiting for me. AND, when my backup thumb-drive for 7 didn't arrive via international mail after several weeks, they sent me another, which contains both versions 6.2 and 7. Fantastic software and customer service, would highly recommend!

Pros

I originally bought "MacDraft" back in 1996, and installed it on a Macintosh Performa CD. Many years passed, and I used it to design several houses and projects, and became quite proficient with the software, even though I was limited by the hardware involved - small screen, ancient printer , no ability to email, no ability to download to thumb drives - until finally this year, I could no longer find ink for my printer. So, I searched the Internet, and found this program to be affordable, modern, and with nearly the identical menus, tools, and libraries. Now I use it on my IMac, and a Brother Pro Series printer. Fantastic!

Cons

I was initially sent MacDraft Professional 6.2, until the MacDraft Professional 7 release. I actually thought 6.2 was intuitively easier. With the release of 7, some of the tools have been switched to the right side, where before everything was on the left - I don't like the back and forth with the mouse that 7 requires. Also, 6.2 had a light background, whereas the background on 7 is black, which to me makes it a bit more difficult to find the tools I want.

Response from Microspot

Replied July 2019

Hi Edward, Thank you so much for the glowing review. Its great to know you were happy with the 6.2 place holder before the release of version and have continued to enjoy 7! One thing I would like to point out is that if you are on Mac OS 10.14 or higher you can switch between light and dark mode via Apple > System Preferences > General. Microspot Team

DAVID from DY DESIGN

The only drafting program I use for the last 35 years

1. I run my company on it ( dydesign.com) 2. My customers love my speed and presentation.

Pros

1. Use of color on architectural/ presentation/ design - is the best. (I am famous for my colored plans) 2. Speed and easy to change your mine using "command z". 3. Graphic Design, and Architecture on the same format. 4. Communicating with other programs is possible.

Cons

1. Since I started using it ( 35 years ago) its crashing. (6.2 when you try to duplicate) 2. Some CAD is not compatible. (the ones with 3D component ) 3. You cant vectorize fonts. 4. You cant arch text. 5. You cant create shadows like in "ILLUSTRATOR" 6. Library should be bigger . 7. BIG PROBLEM WITH PRINTING. I have to convert to jpg before printing -PAIN IN THE NECK!!

Response from Microspot

Replied August 2017

Hi David, thank you for the glowing review, we really appreciate it! What seems to be your issue with printing? If you can email me at support@microspot.co.uk I would be happy to help you :) it would also be amazing to see a few of your famous coloured plans! Thanks again, Microspot Ltd

John from PSGInc.ca

MacDraft 7 The First Month

Pros

I love MacDraft it is super fast and really like 7 with the autosave Time Machine saving version, but still, need to trust more not a MacDraft issue but a MacOS one :) The new version has excellent DXF and DWG capabilities and is much faster than version 6. Overall it is a great upgrade.

Cons

One significant disadvantage for me is the locked Tool Palettes I cannot mix and match them like in version 6. I can not even put them on a 2nd screen. It misses with my workflows, and it is funny how it bugs me. It right now is the biggest reason I have jump all in on. The other small reason is I can not save to version 6 don’t get me wrought I understand why but I would have preferred it to have happy in 7.3 let us say. To get time to be able to work out all the newness of 7.

Response from Microspot

Replied July 2019

Hi John, Thank you for the great review! We understand your reaction to MacDraft going from floating tool palettes to a single screen app but hopefully you will come to love it in the near future. Microspot Team

André from French Collections, Inc.

ANDRE BERTRAND

Great functionality and support. Thanks to the support staff. IAs Interior Designer I use to insert a lot of photos from Photoshop into my MD drawings because as you khow Photoshop doesn't work at scale. I wish MD will able to open very heavy files like more than 1 G. The 6.2 version is great. And the zoom it's not sticky anymore ! Very important : The Special line tool perpendicular is perfect but the one starting at the center of an existing line or objet is not. The center line cannot be perpendicular even with the alt button. So after drawind the center line, one should go to check the angle with resize window. The center line must be automatily perpendicular like the othet one. Nothing more. The remaining tools are perfects.

Pros

Easy Drawing Easy and practicals Tools

Cons

May be more easier compatibilidad with : Transforming MD files in Autocad in DWG. Transforming MD files in JPEG images like is doing in PDF

Henk from Ir. T.H. Hoogendoorn Msc mech. (Delft) consultant

Henk 123

I use Macdraft for a combination of building layouts *architectural) and the design of building utitlities (HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical etc.). It is a simple to use program.

Pros

Simply to use after a period of training

Cons

Missing the function : SAVE AS and the set up of a printer. In MacDraft Professional 6 it was more clear and better in relation with other computerprograms.

Reasons for Switching to MacDraft Professional

Only on cost base and simplicity

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Henk, Thank you for the review! We really appreciate it :) I just want to point out that Save As is now called 'Duplicate' and still has the same CMD-Shift-S shortcut as before. MacDraft 7 still draws the information from your printer so any printer set up on your machine should appear when you go to print, if it doesnt, please get in touch and im sure we can fix this for you! :) Microspot Team

nicholas from Peak designs

Mac's best weapon

I have used Macdraft for quite some years now and have found it easy to use at a base level if you are just starting and as a perfect tool to show in detail all your projects as you get more confident. I use it for architectural work and have chatted to the company about software and my ideas and they have always been able to help. I doubt if I will change now. As it is a review you will note that it is lacking five stars in the features and functionality bit. That is because when you save under a PDF as many of us have to in order to communicate some of our drawings that way. The renditions as it is made compatable are sometimes not as good as they could be. But it is a small thing but it would make a big improvement.

Pros

ease of use

Cons

PDF quallity

Response from Microspot

Replied March 2017

Thank you for the review Nicholas, we love the title 'Macs Best Weapon' :) A quick note on PDF, File > Export PDF will create a PDF based on the content in the document not the page size. If you want a Print Quality PDF we recommend going File > Print > Save As PDF, hopefully this will help you out in future work. Microspot Team

Jacqueline from Fine Plans

Exceptional Software!

I am an Architect and Designer, I've been using this software for more than 10 years, and I can do from a Simple Drawing to a complete Architectural Drawings, easy to use and Autocad compatible.

Pros

Easy to use Libraries have lots of materials to choose from

Cons

I cannot modify on an Autocad document/file.

Response from Microspot

Replied March 2017

Thanks for the review Jacqueline! We would be more than happy to look into more library items such as those suggested (ADA toilets etc) what really helps us is having somebody in the industry that can help us create particular libraries so if you can drop us an email at support@microspot.co.uk with a longer list of what you would expect we would love to get started on this! As for editing AutoCAD files, MacDraft Professional can open and edit DWG files by going File > Open > Change MacDraft pop up to DWG. I hope this helps in future projects! Microspot Team

Bruce from BrickWall Farms

Industry: Farming

Planning family homes

I’ve used MacDraft Pro since the days when it came on a handful of 3.5” floppy disks. It still works Intuitively. Things like duplicate with smart repeated placement and spacing along a line just WOWs PC world ers.

Pros

My family bought 18 acres of wooded land. We use this sw to draw to scale the whole region and the plans for three houses for us and our two sons’ families.

Cons

Cost. It’s buyable, but takes a lot of thought. Compared to the price of 18 acres and 3 houses, it’s cheap. Specially if it stops us from making even one mistake. I am giving my older son the PC version as a present so he doesn’t come borrow my Mac all the time.

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

I was at work years ago and the guy behind me was buying 3 AutoCAD copies. I hollared over the partition: ask the salesman how long it takes a new engineer to become competent. 3 Months! We had a different project with an New graduate ET engineer who had never used a Mac and in one day was producing D-sized blueprints with boarders and using his library of electronic parts after one day. (True story)

Jerome from Self-employed

Review of MacDraft Professional 7

Using the application to design furniture and built-ins

Pros

I like the ease of use and the fact that it is not cluttered with features not required for 2D drafting.

Cons

1. I would like to be able to close or hide the Libraries tile. It blocks the Parameters tile and I have to scroll down to get to the 'Parameters"of Length and angle, etc. 2. I would like to be able to snap to a predefined distance from an end or a corner of an object. For example, to be able to snap to a location 25%, or 1/3 from an end of a line or corner of a rectangle.

Reasons for Switching to MacDraft Professional

Vectorworks was getting too bloated for my needs and too expensive.

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Jerome, Thank you for the review! You can hide the library tile by dragging it down to the bottom of the right panel, it be there as a small pop up button. As for snapping to a location 25% or 1/3 from the end of a line, it would be great to get more information on this if you could contact us via support@microspot.co.uk :) Microspot Team

John from Pfrommer & Pfrommer

Been using MacDraft for years! New update is great.

I render right into the specification detail that I create and I find that to reflect realistic visuals for client evaluation.

Pros

The update is consistent with features of previous versions. I use it to draft details specifications and than render into those details, occasionally bringing over pdf and jpg , sizing them to drop in!elements from other apps.

Cons

I am not sure that I like the layout sizing as compared with older versions. Maybe I am just not use comfortable with it and that will change as I go forward with projects.

Response from Microspot

Replied August 2017

Hi John, thank you for the great review! hopefully you will get used to the new layout (I presume you mean the centred document) if you prefer the old way you can switch back to it via MacDraft > Preferences > untick the centred document toggle. Thanks again! Microspot Ltd

Nate from Lange Custom Builders, Inc

Easy to use and great customer service!

I use this software to do all the renderings for building our custom cabinetry as well as site planning and revisions for our new homes we build. This software has been great for a variety of tasks.

Pros

MacDraft Pro 7 is by far the easiest update to use, the developers have streamlined numerous functions to allow the user to to be very efficient. I have also been impressed with the support I have received in purchasing, downloading, and navigating the software.

Cons

Setting up the initial startup of the program to open up into the same size window and template that I was us been frustrating. Also I had a couple files not be able to open from one computer to another.

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

I just found it online and instantly felt it could be a huge benefit to our company, tried it and it was a great fit.

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Nate, Thank you for the review, we really appreciate it! The bug where the window size isnt being remembered has been fixed and we will very shortly be releasing a free update (7.0.1) which addresses that along with a few other bugs, tweaks and feature enhancements. Microspot Team

Pat from York North Archaeological Services Inc.

Pat's review

I am an archaeologist working in Ontario Canada. I use your product to map clusters of artifacts across fields and in 1 by 1 m grid across archaeological sites. The maps show artifact distribution across the site both vertically and horizontally, plan view of features and their profiles, use it with Google to show methodology and potential on air photographs and developers maps.

Pros

It is very intuitive. If I can figure it out anyone can.

Cons

I would really like if it was easier to piece plot single artifacts using a single datum and a distance measurement and angle. And it would be great if the north was at the top of the drawing.

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

Less expensive, ease of use, it does what I need to do.

Judy from Fresh Twist Interiors

It's a Good Tool

MacDraft Pro 7 continues to allow my to design whole house solutions from remodeling to decorating. Last year was my first backyard [outdoor living space] project and it delivered, from 1000 miles away, and it was quite useful.

Pros

For me, the critical end use allows me to provide client with preliminary to final concepts and contractors with plans detailed enough for execution. I have become skilled at both floor plan and elevation work and the layers allow for easy duplication, then modification.

Simplicity vs complexity. Specific business / design needs. Cost

Response from Microspot

Replied December 2020

Hi Judy, Thank you for the review! Great to hear you're enjoying MacDraft 7. If you dont mind getting in touch at support@microspot.co.uk we would love to learn about any hiccups you may have experienced. Other than that, continue to use MacDraft and if you have any questions in the future just let us know :) Microspot Team

Thomas from TRC (the Ramos Company

It has replaced 4 software design software programs and is my "Go To"!

It is clearly worth the money. I have used and upgraded the program since the first version and expect to use it until and even after I retire from my company.

Pros

It has a quick "snap to" for faster rendering of design projects. Also, it has the depth to do it all.

Cons

The changes have not always been intuitive and the menu for help does not often respond to my questions.

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

The value and function are perfect.

Reasons for Switching to MacDraft Professional

Just tried it out and it was easy.

Response from Microspot

Replied December 2020

Hi Thomas, Thank you for the great review! Microspot Team

Errol from Oil & Energy

MacDraft Professional 7

I am very please with the new make-over and feel peace of mind knowing that this platform will continue beyond the next OS redesign plus the ability to open and continue to use files that were created several version ago.

Pros

Very pleased with the overall redesign of all features and the fact that it is now 64bit compliant which is important for continuing to utilize this program with future rewrites of OS X. The ease of creating templates surpasses the older version and is easy to implement.

Cons

As a long time user of MacDraft, just like the redesign of any good software, I had a bit of a learning curve to adjust over to the new design - always takes some effort to unlearn habits. It would be nice to have a "Save As" function for creating and modifying similar drawings.

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Errol, Thank you for the great review! I just want to point out that 'save as' is in MacDraft 7 but like alot of modern apps it is now referred to as 'Duplicate' it still has the cmd + shift + S shortcut. Thanks again and enjoy MacDraft 7!

Willem from 4UCableConsulting

MacDraft as a tool for designers

I have designed specialty electric-mechanical cable, the kind used in well logging or oceanographical applications that need strength as well as power delivery and telemetry in a small package. Lay-out and cross section are very important and MacDraft has been instrumental in producing these items quickly and accurately.

Pros

The product has certainly changed since I first started using it some 30 years ago. It is more accurate than the earlier versions and has many more options. Since all of my designs are basically 2-dimensional, this is a very good product to use.

Cons

With all the options and features that are available, use of the program on a 15" portable computer is a bit difficult. You really need a fair amount of screen real estate to be able to work quickly and efficiently.

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

I have used Mac Draft since the mid 1990s and was satisfied with its use. No need to change and lose the potential of going back and reopening old drawings.

Response from Microspot

Replied January 2021

Thanks for the great review Willem! - Microspot Team

Thomas from Spinney Creek Shellfish

Industry: Fishery

President

I use it for design work for our shellfish plant, flow charts for food processing, diagrams for publications, grants. I am a very visual person and have talent in expressing difficult concepts in flow and logic charts. We even have our oyster farm inventory on a Macdraft file that we update daily with changes. I'm the guy who deleted MS Office from all our business computers and went to Google Docs and Sheets because it has all the function I need for 99.9% of what we do without the intolable complexity of Word and Excel. Please keep MacDraft simple for us customers who are to simple minded for Word, Excel, and CAD.

Pros

Frankly, I have been using MacDraft for 30 years because it was easy, not overcomplicated, and I don't like to learn new overly complicated programs. I likely had on of the earliest versions of MacDraft from the earliest days 1990s...

Cons

The biggest problem I have with the software is that it creates progressing errors in measurements when you do some of the more advanced moves. It always has. Example - I will set the grid to 2" and do a layout, then suddenly it is doing 1" then 11/64" and so one after doing a rotation or inserting one of you templates. I wish you would fix that. It has been aggrevating for 30 plus years. I would expect that the new ownership would have resolved that. Also, you have made the dimensioning tool almost unuseable in recent versions. What's that about?

Reasons for Choosing MacDraft Professional

I'm not completely opposed to progress, but resist change just because some software engineer thinks it's cute. By and large your company has kept MacDraft fairly simple and that is why I continue to be a customer I do like the templates and am using them more and more. Just frustrating that the round off keeps generating errors.

Gilles from Densiline

Industry: Environmental Services

A well easy drawing draft

It's easier than previous versions, mixing patterns and colors, and the alignment lines give more speed to build a complex form.

Pros

Easy to switch layers, Easy to make drawings comprehensive for every customers of mine Easy to change when a modification needs.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to twist dwg and mcdraft drawings together,

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Gilles, Thank you for the review. Its great to hear you are enjoying MacDraft 7. If you have any issues combining DWG files with MacDraft files in the future please get in touch and im sure we can help you out :) Thanks again! Microspot Team

David from Footlighters Theater

Excellent 2D Drawing

I've been using MacDraft for years, in its various iterations, primarily to produce blocking diagrams for theatrical performances. The latest version is even more powerful than the earlier ones. Sure, there's a bit of a learning curve, and I know I'm not using even half the power of the app, but it's versatility has won me over. There are plenty of other drawing applications available, but for the combination of features I want, plus a relatively low price, MacDraft takes the cake!

Pros

Ease of use combined with power.

Cons

I can't find any way to set up various preset groups (e.g., line weight x, line color y, line style z), so I have to select each one individually

Gordon from Self Employed

Industry: Building Materials

Full featured and easy to master the basics

As easy to use as MacDraw and earlier versions of MacDraft but many, many more features.

Pros

I am retired. Before I retired I frequently used MacDraw and a much earlier version of MacDraft to make simple dimensioned sketches for product inspection instructions. I was looking for a similar basic application to use for home projects, such as providing information for prospective home improvement contractors to bid on. I found that MacDraft Professional 7, although it was more expensive than what I had in mind, was so full-featured that it was worth the money. I haven't used all the features but what I have are familiar and easy to use.

Cons

The user manual MDFT7-050319PB has quite a few errors and typos. I haven't checked recently to see if it has been updated.

Reasons for Switching to MacDraft Professional

I retired and did not have a drawing/drafting application on my personal computer.

Response from Microspot

Replied January 2021

Hi Gordon, Thank you for the excellent review. I hope you continue using MacDraft throughout what sounds like a well earned retirement! We are aware of the errors in the user guide and are working on a new version. Microspot Team

Jon from Box Designs Inc

Great product for the price

Mostly positive. Many great improvements in the new version making it much less tedious to create accurate drawings.

Pros

Mostly intuitive and simple to use. Clean new design is so much nicer and more user friendly. I especially like the snapping feature in the latest version. It makes it so much easier to align objects. The cost is is low. I have used Mac Draft for years and feel it has been a great asset to use in my custom cabinetry business.

Cons

Two things I like least: 1. I’ve always wished they would improve the zoom functionality. A scroll wheel zoom would be so much faster. MD’s latest version still only uses zoom presets. The whole zoom thing just needs to be a lot more fluid to glance around quickly. I would love to see that changed. 2. The measure tool. Please make it one function for any direction. Choosing between horizontal/ vertical/ diagonal is really clunky.

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Jon, Thank you for the nice review! Great to hear you enjoy the new snapping and alignment features. We have improved zoom in the upcoming 7.0.1 release however you cant scroll to do so as you suggest, although the zoom level has increased. We will definitely look at the dimension tools and see if that is a possibility for a future version. Thank you for the feedback, we really do appreciate it! Microspot Team,

Marc from Pfeiffer Studio

Great for a the occasional woodworder

I'm a woodworker but I also use it for drawing my house projects. I also coach Eagle candidates for the Boy Scouts and it come in handy for showing them dimensions etc. I've using MacDraft since ....?1988? When did the first MacIntosh come out?

Pros

The new features in the side panels make it easy to get to some of the features I use alot. One of the these is resize. I use it all the time and this makes it easy. The whole look and feel has been upgraded.

Cons

I want to have more shortcut keys. command-d for duplicate for instance. I also don't like that you don't offset the dupe like you used to.

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Marc, Thank you for the review! Its great to know you feel the program is easier to use :) As for the keyboard shortcuts, CMD-D does duplicate with offset (there was a bug which has since been fixed in version 7.0.1) and CMD-Shift-D duplicates without offset. What other keyboard shortcuts would you like to see in MacDraft? Microspot Team

John from John Lasiter Lighting Designer

Very Good Value and Functions

Overall an excellent tool which I use extensively nearly every day as a Theatre Lighting Designer. I appreciate the simplicity.

Pros

simplicity

Cons

still some bugs. The app crashes regularly. I have made my own macro which auto saves my files every 5 minutes because the app crashes so often. There are bugs in text handling. Sometimes when I highlight text it dissappears and cannot be read. There is a memory problem whereby if I try to copy a group of object only the top object is duplicated.

Laurie from Freelance

Really like the upgrade to 7

Excellent. I've had a few questions with the software and support has always been fast and friendly. If I was younger or smarter, I'd be drawing in 3D but for what I do, 2D is perfect and Macdraft does that with ease.

Pros

I find Macdraft fast and simple to use. The upgrade has made a big difference. It's cleaner and feels more Professional.

Cons

I'd like to be able to set line weight preferences for dimension tools. This may exist in the program already, but I'm yet to find it. Could be user error!

Response from Microspot

Replied June 2019

Hi Laurie, Thank you for the great review! We appreciate the kind words and are happy you're enjoying version 7. You can set the line weight globally (for all lines including dimensions) via the preferences however it might be easier to do this: 1) Finish your project 2) Edit > Select Special > Dimensions *All dimensions will be selected* 3) Change line weight to what you want This might be your best bet, its very quick to do! Microspot Ltd

Kirk from Pittsburgh Stained Glass Studios

Simple but powerful!

I've been using MacDraft since the very first version which ran on a Mac 512 if I remember correctly. My how things have changed. I use this program almost daily in my business and it easily does 90% of what I need. It would be nice to have a couple of additional features like trim two curves, and trim a curve into a line, but all in all it is a very useful, simple to use tool that makes my life easier, without the huge learning curve of some of the other drafting programs. Having said that, it is not a replacement for those other programs, just another tool in the box.

Pros

Ease of use, intuitive interface.

Cons

Feature limitations

Ellie from TriPhase Technologies

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Great Mac solution for CAD

I have been using MacDraft for the past 5 years or so and it offers everything I need from a CAD program. The only criticism I have is that sometimes the files will crash and corrupt themselves. So if you didn't save it or don't have a backup, you are SOL. This has happened a handful of times to me and is excruciatingly frustrating when it does.

Pros

It offers everything I need from CAD. But I don't use too many complicated features

Cons

It will sometimes corrupt a file and I can no longer open or use the file.