McCormick Electrical Estimating Software Reviews

McCormick Electrical Estimating Software Reviews

Find out more:

Recommendations

Find out more:

• icon"Ease of use, and simplicity of working through the bidding process."
  • icon"The support can't be beat and ease of use. The ability to accept auto updates from trade service, national pricing service and others to keep pricing up to date."
  • icon"Easy 5 step Bid process with easy to use On screen take off built in. Free upgrades for the first year and significant discounts thereafter."
  • icon"Setting up initially takes a bit of time. Every time they come out with an updated version it has had lots of bugs and problems."
  • icon"Lack of refine feature in Auto-count which Accubid has. This allows for refined search to weed out unwanted fixtures faster.)."
  • icon"I would not change anything about the software. The yearly cost seems expensive but you get what you pay for."

All McCormick Electrical Estimating Reviews

Bill

McCormick Estimating

I have been using an estimating program to help with my Plumbing Estimation since 1990. I had previously used (2) other types of programs before I decided to try the McCormick 4000 Platinum system. I began working for this Plumbing Company in March of this year, and this Company was not using any type of estimating program. Our first order of business was to begin a search for what appears to us to be the best system on the market. We bought the McCormick System in April and I have been using it since the day we received it. Since I have been using estimating take-off systems for around 25 years, the transition to this system was extremely easy and I have not missed a beat. In the 6 + months that I have been using this system I have learned some of the tricks to navigating the system which is very easy.

Pros

Ease of learning how to use this product. They have a very good video tutorials that explain the steps and procedures for how to use this system. Granted, I personally am very familiar with estimating programs, so this transition from the program that I had most recently been using was very easy. I do believe that even if I had not been familiar with estimating programs that the video tutorial, which is very easy to follow, would walk me through how to get set up. McCormick also has a very reliable support system if you have any troubles.

Cons

I have used (3) different systems over the last 25-years and the only issue I have is that there are types of materials that we may may be using occasionally that are not in the system. These are mainly related to some of the systems we get into for the pipefitting side. This applies to all of the systems I have used. I also wish that these systems had more of the site utility materials in their programming. In comparing McCormick to the other systems that I have used, their library of materials is definitely the most complete and the have a fantastic assembly library.

Jas

McCormick Vs. Accubid

After recently aquiring this software for our Company, I couldn't feel more confident with our decision. As with most people, our choice came down to either Accubid or McCormick. Both are great programs but we decided to go with McCormick because it is cheaper and does essentially everything Accubid does. Further we were told that McCormick support is exceptional and so far that has held true. They are extremely fast at helping us, (almost instant) and we have had zero issues that they haven't been able to solve for us in minutes. Since the setup and learning curve of McCormick and Accubid are initially pretty large, we believe that the help and support we are getting from McCormick at no extra cost is exceptional. They truly care about our needs and help us achieve a smooth transition. PS. We are located in Canada and we have no issues with the McCormick system and their database.

Pros

-Exceptional Customer Service -Only need one program to run everything. Whereas you need 3 separate licences and programs with Accubid to get the complete experience. -Cheaper by quite a bit than Accubid if you consider the additional programs you must purchase. (McCormick has built in change order management) -Easy 5 step Bid process with easy to use On screen take off built in. -Free upgrades for the first year and significant discounts thereafter.

Cons

-Operates on a 32-bit system which is outdated so may have difficulty installing on 64 bit system if you are not tech savvy. Easily solved with McCormick support though. -Database is not as extensive as Accubid, but we have to modify assemblies anyway to suit our needs so this wasn't a big concern. -Lack of refine feature in Auto-count which Accubid has. (This allows for refined search to weed out unwanted fixtures faster.) Therefore Accubid autocount is better than McCormick but if you play around with match % and set it closer to 80% we get no issues.

Lars

June 2022

Stay Away! Archaic software that make money by charging people to sign up and to cancel.

They answer right away because they have to in order to keep any customer base. That's a plus. I guess you have to do that when the software literally crashes for no reason and doesn't let you log back in and it can't do the most foundational things. They should have kept it as a desktop software.

Pros

It's fully featured and can do anything you would want from an estimating software. Just expect it to do it slowly, inaccurately, and crash a lot.

Cons

We spent over 20 hours trying to get their IT to work with our suppliers and link with our current system, but they couldn't get there. We paid for trade-services as per their recommendation, but they were never able to link a supplier to get accurate costing for materials. Without accurate costs an estimating software is useless. It is a clunky file management system that uses an archaic approach of a virtual machine to save the files and run the software. It is also susceptible to crashes that sometimes require support to get back in the software. No matter our bandwidth we had troubles getting any type of responsiveness out of the takeoff software and would have been better to do it in excel. We hired an new estimator that swore buy it, so we purchased it for him. We had to buy 10 hours of training and pay an onboarding fee even though we didn't use any of it. After we realized he was terrible at his job (no wonder he loved McCormick) I emailed to cancel. They charged $500 monthly and it was a couple grand to start for one license. Best part is they refused to cancel my subscription unless I paid $2750. A business that stands behind their product wouldn't have these practices.

Reasons for choosing McCormick Electrical Estimating

Because of a recommendation. Don't listen to the recommendations!

Response from Foundation Software

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We set a high standard for ourselves, and we are sorry that your experience did not match your expectations. Although our confidentiality agreement prevents us from discussing contract details, we partnered with your company as best we could. We went above and beyond to provide you with reasonable solutions to rectify your concerns. In addition to our support team working tirelessly to provide guidance with your concern on pricing matters, we offered personalized training to increase your knowledge and confidence in our product which you did not take advantage of. We respect that even though the best of efforts was given, not all partnerships work out therefore both parties amicably agreed to end our partnership on June 6, 2022 per your request. We wish you and your company the best of luck.

Replied September 2022

August 2022

A good solution for small to medium sized electrical bids

After working in Accubid Classic for 7 years, I inherited this software when I moved to a new company about 18 months ago. Overall it is a great tool for estimating, but it does have it's limitations. I think it's a best fit for smaller electrical contractors that do not have to do complex breakdowns in their bids. I do particularly like how easy it is to create assemblies in the database. Where we really struggled is with the roll up portion of the software. In the end, we just used McCormick for takeoff and loaded extension reports into our own Excel spreadsheet to wrap the projects up. While we are keeping the software, we have just moved to Accubid Anywhere, which although its a bit complex at first, will offer a complete solution to our needs.

Pros

Ease of takeoff, Can modify and create assemblies quickly, Muliple assembly and item windows make finding thing easy.

Cons

Roll up tool is limited. Audit trail can be confusing. Moving takeoff to different labels can be cumbersome. Not capable of multiple breakdowns or cost allocations.

Response from Foundation Software

Hi Chris! Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback and are glad that our software has been easy to use for your takeoff and estimating needs. We would like the opportunity to talk and investigate your feedback further and learn more about the software limitations you mentioned. We would be happy to provide you with any additional training to better your experience. One of our team members can reach out to you to provide further assistance!

Replied August 2022

Richard

Owner/User for 38 years

I purchased the DOS Program in 83 License No [SENSITIVE CONTENT] had just bought back the program from En-Data. I re-wrote the database 84-86, expanded the database in the Windows program, I continue to expand and re-fine the program while continuing to use all the DOS commands that the program contains, the DOS program was all keyboard commands and input, no mouse so takeoff is very fast, that background plus windows makes this program 2nd to none. As a freelance estimator my estimate needs to tell a story with little interaction with the client and it delivers every time. I have used the program for jobs as small as a bathroom renovation to a 42 mil data farm with equal ease. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a program that is fast, accurate, and powerful .

Pros

Flexibility, able to create and takeoff assemblies on the fly, ability to count fixtures, devices, etc from the keyboard, create extension reports as needed, multiple bid summaries, unlimited workspace buttons, transfer takeoff directly to MS Project for scheduling, easy pricing updates, ability to extend to MS Excel

Cons

None that I can find maybe tech support might be a little expensive

Sabrina

January 2016

So far, so great!

Pros

While I am still learning my way around the software, my best impression lies with the service of this company. Before I even purchased the product, I was given an unexpected amount of time and attention to have all my questions answered. Currently, if I am having trouble navigating the system, I have found the tech support to be extremely and appropriately responsive. Even the representative who closed the sale on my system remains in contact and available if needed. That is unheard of in my customer service experience and greatly appreciated.

Cons

I have had to perform frequent updates with the system either as technology has changed on my end or theirs. While this is mildly inconvenient, I do feel like I have a product that is always up to date. These updates or issues have always been dealt with promptly and with little effort on my part so it is really not a complaint but an observation.

Probably the best all round software in the industry.

The company is family owned, so you get quick, personal responses to any problems you might encounter. They have been in business since the late 1970's, so they are not strangers to the business. It's not like dealing with some huge, corporate, full of red tape company where the employees don't even know each other. Dealing with support or whatever department has always been a good experience.

Pros

Software learning curve is the easiest of the three major brands I have used. Takeoff speed is by far the fastest, which equates to being able to bid more work with fewer people. That is a huge money saver. Tech support is outstanding. This software is the best I have seen at running seamlessly on large networks, as well as stand alone computers. Plus, they offer less expensive programs to start out with, and then you can upgrade as you go.

Cons

Can't think of anything other than the cost (I'm cheap), but their cost is in line with the rest of the industry.

Dan

Great Electrical Estimating Software

What we have found by using McCormick... 1. Our ability to be more aggressive with our electrical bids. 2. Being able to provide working drawings for design build projects to the field associates and /or Architects. 3. Project managing from start to finish

Pros

What I like the most is, the fact that you can build the project that you are estimating in McCormick, (all devices, boxes, wires, connectors, wire nuts, screws, and etc.), then be able to plot the assemblies on the drawings & do the circuiting on the drawings, and then extend an provide a proposal for the project. The other feature that I like is if we are awarded the project you are able to create working field drawings from the DEP (Design Estimating Pro) and get a material list from the extension.

Cons

nothing really comes to mind, McCormick is easy to use and understand.

Kevin

Electrical Estimating "Partner in Crime"

Pros

I figuratively "partner in crime" due to the nature of being able to land to jobs and dominate my area. Using McCormick has made life so easy in figuring jobs from start to finish. From creating labels, assemblies, and pushing it out in extensions and summaries, I couldn't be more happy with where this program has taken our company. I would highly recommend if you are looking for an easy on screen estimating program McCormick with the DEP screen is unbelievably easy to navigate and work through.

Cons

The only thing I have had trouble with is an occasional crash, but it isn't detrimental as all work done prior to the crash is never lost. So not much of a complaint just and inconvience.

Darin

Productive

McCormick has allowed us to bid more projects since it takes less time to take off a project with DEP.

Pros

Since we have started using DEP to take off projects it has cut the time down on how long we take off a bid. This also allows us to hand the project off to our Project managers so they can see how bid was taken off. My Salesman and the entire support team.

Cons

I don't have to many issues with McCormick. The only issue would be the search feature. Adding notes to the drawings and not being able to point to what the note represents.

Kevin

McCormick Estimating Software 1000 w/ OSE

I can not say enough about the support that is given. I had a issue with the license key when I first got it. One quick call to tech support they had me up and running in minutes. Then after that I talked with my regional sales manager, he could not have been more friendly or helpful. That has not been intrusive either He has checked in a couple of times to make sure everything was going well. Live on screen demo and training was helpful. He did such a good job with that I haven't had that many questions. On one occasion I called to ask a question on something I couldn't figure and asked for "my" guy, he had gone home for the day so I left a voicemail. It wasn't 10-15 minutes later and he was calling me back, after his work hours, now that customer service. The software is well written, easy to use and intuitive. Changes to accommodate your business is easy to do as well. The fact that the On screen estimating is part of the estimating software, if purchased, is great. It's nice to watch counts go directly to the estimating software, rather than importing it. This has been perfect for our small 5-10 man electrical company.

Pros

Cons

The license key, on a thumb drive, did not work when it was shipped . Other than that I haven't ant issues or complaints

Paula

Good Estimating Software

We solved the exportation of the bid into the accounting and project software with the McCormick Estimating Software.

Pros

When we began using McCormick it would interface with Spectrum Construction Software. This was the tip of the scale for us.

Cons

In more recent years it seems to be difficult to get it to interface with Spectrum Construction Software. There have been many improvements in Spectrum and McCormick also. We still use both of these, but have since purchased a go between software for the two.

RANDY

Randy Lee with Lee's Electric Company. 48 year old company. Conest vs McCormick

If McCormick would listen to some of my ideas they would be the number 1 software. Their support is great. The yearly Cost is great. It's just some small cons. Conest support has good people. My executive is one of the best. It's just to expensive. When you pay for an upgrade and there is none it pisses me off. EBM IS THE FAST OF ALL BUT ONLY GOOD FOR SMALL JOBS.

Pros

McCormick is a very speed driven software. Fast take offs. I purchased it long ago but only use it 10 percent of the time. I have been waiting for some upgrades, which will make it complete. Conest has tons of assemblies for every task. But takeoffs are slow and requires total attention of you could make an expensive mistake.

Cons

I don't like the Messaging system. I don't like the things that slow the process down. What good is a fast take off if it slows you don't when trying to get the bids out. Conest software is slow if you use the Sure Count.

Mitch

Making My Estimating Efficient

Excellent I wouldn't want any other software. From the sales department to tech support this company and the software are on point.

Pros

It makes my time worth having it. I can efficiently work in the field and come home and estimate projects. It saves me so much time and wins projects with reasonable margins over the competition. It gives us the edge to compete with any company in our field. Its not just small projects all sizes and shapes and it has allowed us to expand and hire more people.

Cons

The only complain I would have is not being compatible with windows updates in the early stages of owning it. The company was great though and recognized this and the tech support group is second to none.

Scott

Makes bidding easier and faster

Pros

I think the software is easy to use and makes bidding a lot easier and faster saving time in the office bidding projects which allows more time for other tasks.

Cons

Very difficult to print out a detailed price for change orders. I can't delete items on a take off tab and need to enter them aa a negative. Whish there was a free site that linked up for keeping item costs.

Troy