What are STACK users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using STACK software through verified user reviews

1,248 Reviews

• icon"I like how easy it is to scale to different pages, and is a great product for the price."
  • icon"Easy to use and great customer service. They continue to update their product to stay relevant."
  • icon"I only used Stack for a couple of days, but I really liked the ease of the takeoff tools. It was very user friendly to navigate."
  • icon"That said, these days material costs are increasing every day so a data base which includes material cost would be obsolete almost as soon as it is built."
  • icon"Sometimes we run into problems loading blueprints when more than one user is on the same account."
  • icon"It is so irritating having to use the mouse for the essential functions."

Browse all STACK Reviews

• Have you used STACK and would like to share your experience with others?

ResetShow 1,233 Results

Showing 1 - 25 of 1,233 reviews

Sunshine

Industry: Building Materials

Great product. Customer support right in app and always quick to respond.

Pros

This product is incredibly simple to use, but a very powerful tool. The calendar makes organizing projects by due date easy. You can quickly see what's coming up and space them out when a larger project takes more time. The search function to find past projects is imperative. Doing takeoffs is much easier now. I can export final dwgs and reports so that my sales rep can go back and see exactly what I quoted and where. All the work is saved so I can back and reference it or change it if plans change. The lines and symbols are easy to read and quick to set up. You can dimension the plans when needed and add call outs. The cloud tool is useful for items I have a question about. I can even copy and paste a line several times instead of having to draw it out each time. Being able to add labels to the takeoff is crucial. It makes my quotes much more powerful when I say exactly where I found each product. It also helps if there is a change to the plan later. I can easily remove one section by using the Geometric Report instead of having to dig through all the plans. The ability to use two screens is awesome! When I find a particular detail and have to match it to the plan, it is much easier to have one screen with the detail and one with the plan.

Cons

Some things are not customizable. I can't change the default dimension color or size. But once you set it, it remembers the changes for that page only. I can't rearrange the sheets with the tabs on top. I have to open them in the order I need. So if I find a detail on another sheet, I may have to close some tabs and them reopen them in the order I need. It does integrate with Excel reports, but Excel charges a monthly subscription for that. I am also waiting for the symbol search tool.

Kyle

Industry: Restaurants

April 2022

Our team uses this daily

Its a great tool in our system and we use regularly, with our new addition of ProCore and having these programs linked is huge to make sure we are always working off the most up to date planset without having to do multiple uploads

Pros

Anyone who can operate a computer can get into the program and start doing takeoffs immediately.

Cons

It would really be helpful for there to be a go-back/undo function. I wish there were some more filter options. Most all of these have been listed by our team on the feature requests.

web based & ease of use

Reasons for switching to STACK

To get all our team working off the same web based platform

Jake

Cloud Takeoff

Stack was a significant upgrade to our takeoff process. The speed and being able to natively use it on Mac make this software great. The development team continues to add great features, some of which bring feature parity with competitors, but others are unique and now classified as "can't live without" around our office.

Pros

The ability to log in and pull up all of our project drawings on any computer. The fact that this software is web based is great and makes this platform agnostic. As we are primarily a Mac based office, this is great and does not require virtualization to run windows based software. Stack is also incredibly fast to navigate and bring up projects. Even though our older software was on computer and not web based, it required long waits to open a project and switch between projects. With stack this is almost instantaneous and it allows multiple projects to be open at once in multiple tabs or windows.

Cons

It still lacks some functionality of our previous takeoff software, especially when we first started using it. Much of that functionality has been added since we started using it, and there are a few additional items they currently show as in the pipeline. Once those are released, all of the features we need will be here.

Reasons for choosing STACK

It is web based and can run natively on Mac for that reason.

Reasons for switching to STACK

Planswift was dated, didn't work natively on Mac, had little to no updates of value to us for years, and was slow (loading projects).

Reality vs Perception & Potential

Not any of our problems yet. Not any reason we bought it, has it created a solution for, but I still see how it can and hopefully will over time, and that is why I am still here. Well that and probably because I don't want to admit that maybe we should have waited till they had a finished product with the kinks worked out. while this may cause eye rolls... Put yourselves in our shoes. If a customer purchases up front, 100% of a roof from me because I showed them a picture of a finished roof and told them it was a complete ready to go finished roof, yet only put on 50-75% of it and then said well I will be back next year to finish the rest, sorry about the inconvenience in the mean time. Would that be ethical? No! It would not, yet that is exactly what stack ct did to us and that is what iroof did to us, and that is what roofsnap did to us, and that is what adobe does to us, and, and ,and, and it is wrong. These are not the things employees doing the work decide, it is the work of those in charge and investors. So I don't and won't blame the workers, but I do blame the rest of you. Please consider what I have taken the time to share and please be motivated intrinsically to do better!

Pros

I liked the super awesome sales and teaching staff when they can be reached. the support staff excluding 1 that are available and pretty much only by email do not in any way provide the same level of connection, community, support, or personal touch the others do.

Cons

Since all the soft ware companies we reviewed over the last year follow the same pattern of, promise the moon before we buy, show us what it will look like when its finished, but cannot deliver what they promised when they were courting us, because they sell an incomplete project knowing we roped in for a year, it must be ok right? NO! IT'S NOT OK! I had to promise a kidney to get the [SENSITIVE CONTENT] to purchase this product, I showed the perceived time savings, the better product, and etc. Yet when we bought it I was able to show him anything but a prettier product. Do I think we will get there and do I think its a good program? Yes and Yes but it may be as much because I want to believe it is without the actual proof there to definitely say it is. I just hope I can Convince him to let me renew the subscription next year cause it is going to take me all of a year to learn this system well enough to make it pay. Between how much slower i am at turning out these estimates even though they are better, and how many important and promised functions are either not actually functional or they are at not user friendly without 1 on1 help if they are functional etc.

Reasons for choosing STACK

money and integration with builder trend and excel

Reasons for switching to STACK

I believed this would serve both the commercial and residential departments with 1 product that appeared to be very complete and user friendly. Also because I believed it would drone measure better and it would be faster and more easily integrated into our overall go to approach, and it would scale better. Very little of this ended up being the case so far.

karli

Stack Review

Pros

Being able to complete takeoff in a timely, organized manner compared to previous software.

Cons

The software is not quite fully developed, it would be nice to have the ability to 'UNDO.'

Reasons for switching to STACK

Stack is web based which makes it easier for employees to use it if they are working from home.

Jamaal

April 2022

The efficiency of Stack software as a whole.

Overall it is a great product to work with. When you have more technical drawings, sometimes it's hard to get an accurate count of all square and linear footage. Have to dig thru drawings to find which could take an ample amount of time.

Pros

The features as a whole is very helpful day to day to get proposals done. Helps streamline the process of doing different takeoffs a lot easier when looking at the various complexity of architectural drawings.

Cons

I believe having some more automated features will make the software better. Pulling information from the drawings that aren't in plain sight or written out by the architect would be helpful when performing takeoffs.

Reasons for switching to STACK

To be able to complete more accurate takeoffs, in which would provide more sound proposals for project bidding.

German

April 2022

Great tool for takeoffs and costs estimates

It has been a great experience, and also the team of stack gave me a few lessons to make the start easier.

Pros

One of the most important features of stack is that is a cloud based software, it is also very intuitive and easy to use. The integration of this software in my business is easy, and this is one of the tools that provides confidence to our decisions.

Cons

I think the developers can offer something more to the people or small companies that can not afford the hole software of stack, maybe can have "suites", like other progrmas, that let you work on a specific process.

Reasons for choosing STACK

Because it is cludbase and I like the interface and easy of use.

Reasons for switching to STACK

Because I can save time using this tool in the takeoff process.

Tim

Easy to use Estimating software!

We are bidding more projects then ever and Stack is an important part of the workflow.

Pros

We love stack for our takeoffs. Cloud service is an essential service as we like to open plans from multiple workstations and conference rooms. We also have multiple estimators who frequently work from home. This software is extremely useful for all of those circumstances. The software itself is intuitive and easy to use.

Cons

The only thing that really bothers me is just load speed of plans.

Reasons for choosing STACK

Ultimately, it was ease of deployment and cloud use. We do have one estimator who still uses On Screen Takeoff.

Brian

stack

Pros

the take off system was ease to learn and implement

Cons

the estimate side of the program is taking a long time for me to set up to our Canadian/Manitoba or my standards

Reasons for choosing STACK

like the layout and price for a trial since i was paying this by myself

Joe

We couldn't do what we do without STACK!

Nothing but positive.

Pros

All the takeoff tools available to us allow my team and I to not only perform takeoffs, but do simple shop drawings and sketches. There's always new technology available for no additional charge.

Cons

The only complaint I would ever have would be when OUR internet is slow, something the STACK doesn't control.

Reasons for choosing STACK

Affordable price point, great technologies.

Reasons for switching to STACK

We wanted a cloud based technology for easier access to our project documents and takeoffs.

Charles

Very Good Takeoff Tool

Pros

Extremely user friendly and easy to implement.

Cons

No mobile version, requires clients to create an account to view my takeoff, and requires colleagues to create an account to perform a free takeoff. Then bombards them with marketing emails.

Reasons for switching to STACK

I felt planswift was antiquated and difficult to use.

Catherine

A Happy Customer

Pros

The software is very user friendly to navigate. I especially enjoy the layover feature for change orders. Enjoy having the ability to have multiple screens open for the same project to look at details. I enjoy being able to provide the cost breakdown and manipulate the reporting data as needed. We are able to provide a cost breakdown to accounting for job costing purposes. Being cloud based has also solved storage and backup issues on our local machines.

Cons

Do not like that you can not alter an assembly without it changing that assembly on all of your takeoffs. Also, I do not like that you can not move the sale popup.

Timothy

STACK Review 2022

I am able to share my take-off with our PM's within our company, the Builders and General Conrtractorsr that we contract with and easily explain or troubleshoot each and every project with confidence.

Pros

STACK is critical in every job that we quote and take to contract. I like the quick accessibility and ease of use through all the take-off tools and other components to gather and document pertinent job info.

Cons

Within the reporting feature in STACK I have requested several times if they could create an "option" for the long decimal version (.00000001) to be replaced with only the one-hundredth decimal (.01) like it was several years ago when I first started using STACK. I have to go through each and every line item (sometimes 100+) and change each qty..

Kyle

Pros

For someone familiar with doing takeoffs the old fashioned pen and paper way, pretty intuitive! Easy to upload drawings and get to work.

Cons

The exporting feature has seemed clunky for us. We want to export this into a format our contractors can read, understand and also edit (changing unit pricing eg in excel).

Reasons for choosing STACK

STACK was most straightforward, modern, simplified takeoff software. Best value for price.

Gaby

Simple Construction Estimating Software

Overall, the estimation simulator is a convenient and easy to use software that can be used on a multitude of devices. The option to try out the system for free is an amazing feature since it allows someone trying to find the right software for their company without the hassle of wasting money on programs that don't work.

Pros

This take-off estimator software will make any construction bidding process less confusing and give you accurate estimates that are organized in an easy to read manner. The layout of the estimator are very clear as to where the information is supposed to go and can be brought up with a simple tap of a button. If you need to make changes to the bids, no problem! After making changes the software will give you the new estimations with the new information in just a few seconds. You can upload the software to any company laptop, desktop, or iPad with ease. You can upload all information needed for a bidding process such as mark ups, materials, contractor prices, etc. with accuracy and ease. One last feature is the option to save bids to the Cloud or directly onto a device.

Cons

For a start-up company the software can become a bit pricey depending on which plan you decide to use. There is a free of charge option, but it is very limited compared to the Plus and Pro versions.

Streamline our Estimating

I have zero complaints with the program or customer service.

Pros

As a fire protection estimator it is hard to find a program that allows me to do a design build electronically. I could use a Autocad style program to do the base design, but in our world of fast paced turnaround I simply do not have the time to use a program like Autocad. With StackCT I can use the linear drop function to place our sprinkler heads with proper spacing.

Cons

The autocount symbol function is good, but there are times when I get only a single count instead of hundreds needed. It has gotten better, but if there was a way to edit the background noise for the selection it would be nearly perfect.

Reasons for choosing STACK

I liked the customer service and training that allowed me to quickly learn the program.

Reasons for switching to STACK

Bluebeam does not allow me as an FP estimator to do what I need.

Matt

Simple and Easy to Use!

For very quick masonry estimates, nothing beats this software. For more advanced/detailed prints, as long as you take your time this will work just fine. I haven't seen a friendlier piece of software at an affordable price that gives you want you need without being headache to setup.

Pros

We looked for a very long time for a very simple takeoff program and this is definitely it. We have used this program for the past year and a half to get measurements on masonry and it has not failed us. Our trade does not need super advanced features so this suites us perfectly. If you have a properly scaled PDF then you can hit the ground running for your measurements. Otherwise, determining your own scale is very simple to do and I've even taken pictures of blueprints with my phone to roughly estimate one of our simpler prints in under 10 prints from the camera snapping. Amazing.

Cons

Due to this program being available online only sometimes it can be finicky if you have a poor internet connection or if there is some sort of (extremely rare) maintenance. As stated earlier, we use this for masonry so it does not need advanced features. But as with all estimating, you will still need a basic knowledge of your trade's quirks. If you can't see a wall on an elevation because it is returning into the building then you will need to approximately draw it in under your elevation based off of a foundation plan or floor plan. Not super hard but it just will not do all of the work for you.

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Hi Matt, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Curley Brothers Brick & Masonry and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Replied January 2017

Ray

Takeoffs for Concrete Subcontractor

Its been wonderful. there have been curveballs when beginning to use it but I've been able to figure out ways to fork around them. I do wish that when looking up help online that it was easier to find. I do not care much to talk to people and having the ability to just search my issue is a must.

Pros

I like that I'm able to work with my team on the same server from anywhere I am. The list of projects help us to keep everything together and I like that I can label the projects with my name and what stage they are. the color change to the tab helps me to find the projects I am bidding and ones that I can start on next.

Cons

The assemblies are very basic, I know how to code in java and in excel but the language to make the items for takeoffs are different just enough to aggravate me. I wish there were more mark up functions and that I could close folders to only see one folder of plans and also the ability to sort my open tabs. Another it the ability to open documents in different windows and they both sync without me having to tell it to. I have used on-screen take off and do find this program more user friendly but having used Bluebeam for takeoffs and to review documents, I find this program to be lacking. I like that its a separate program that you download and do not need internet to use. the tools that are available are more programable and you can duplicate you plans to use for more then just a takeoff or mark up.

Stephen

Industry: Shipbuilding

Still LeAfrning Take off portion not all PDF will scale true.

Honestly a learning experience is the best I grt now,

Pros

Just Inputting and using program to enter ships and drawings of ships in for each class of ship we are working on. once more jobs are entered would like to end up witha square foot to S data base so in futur we can ask how many sqare foot pf bilge in the AMR on a WMSL Class ship and wbhat did we charge as an average for painting by square foot. Now have Started to measure 2s square footage but have not seen or understand hoe to correlate that to job. Much less how to enter it and pull it out to make a bid I supose that will come in time. First we are verifying what we have and then there will be more data base building from old and new bids as we go , including machinery and equipment needs to use and the material required. The we should be able ask " the customer want us to paint the forward bulkead in the bosn locke dark ble using xxx paint prepared to SSPC SP10 what will the cost be for bid... hpw much profit can we make and also what is the average marie rate for that.

Cons

AS I explained above new at it and have not yet gotten to the point of being a well trained user of it. Howevr it has bothered me when i set in a PDF print use the stated scale and do noy get a known answer ...>>>>>Just Inputting and using program to enter ships and drawings of ships in for each class of ship we are working on. once more jobs are entered would like to end up witha square foot to S data base so in futur we can ask howmany sqare foot pf bilge in the AMR on a WMSL Class ship and wbhat did we charge as an average for painting by square foot. Now have Started to measure 2s square footage but have not seen or understand hoe to correlate that to job. Much less how to enter it and pull it out to make a bid I supose thst will come in time. First we are verifying what we have and then there will be more data base building from old and new bids as we go , including machinery and equipment needs to use and the material required. The we shold be able ask " the customer want us to paint the fwd bulkead in the bosn locke dark ble using xxx paint prepared to SSPC SP10 what will the cost be for bid... hpw much profit can we make and also what is the average marie rate for that.Workin the marine industry in a land familiar setting.

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Hi Stephen, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of All Star Cleaning & Preservation, Inc. and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Replied May 2017

Stack Implementation into Speacialty Contrctor Business

First it controls the flow of information and the non-flow of paper in the office. This is the biggest plus. Secondly for me I can estimate much quicker once I get set up. Which gives me more time to look into the smaller details and ultimately create a better more accurate proposal.

Pros

Foe years I had thought about utilizing a symbol based estimating take off software because we were moving from paper to the digital world. I randomly found this online about 9 months ago. It is everything I would have done. It makes sense because it stores all your basis of the estimate information electronically and you no lounger have to use paper. The cost of Paper alone pays for the service as I estimate in our business model that each contracts salesman was expending roughly $5,000 per year in document printing. The other benefit for us is that because it is electronically stored we no longer have to go through our offices every three months and disposed of all the paper on projects we did not get. Or God knows you deep six a project and the following week you get a call to review the project for contracting and other than your estimate spread sheet you have no visual layout to look at for reference. So you print it out again and then re lay out the devices and bulk materials.

Cons

For me it actually does everything I want it to do other than integration into actual building of estimates. I know that we have that capability but this a cost intensive project for each contractor. Obviously this is not a deal breaker though and perhaps in the future you could offer templates that are patterned after specific industries which would lower the cost of developing the complete estimating solution.

Reasons for choosing STACK

Again I am not able to comment. For me I saw it and since I was thinking down this path to begin with it was a no brainer.

Peter

A takeoff platform that continues to improve.

We are currently seeing a 15-20% time savings on this new platform. The user interface allows us to onboard new staff much quirker.

Pros

OCR regonition makes searching drawings for keywords a breeze. Custom variables within the estimate module simplifies building an estimate.

Cons

The Stack team continually publishes important Stack Updates monthly; many of the cons I've seen over the last year have been resolved. With that said the lack of an UNDO function is a continual annoyance (I am told this fix is on the roadmap).

Reasons for choosing STACK

Seeing the constant updates from Stack shows me that they are committed to improving the software.

Reasons for switching to STACK

Stack's cloud interface is faster to setup and faster to use. The cloud based setup allows us to hyperlink project takeoffs directly to our CRM; and share that takeoff with colleagues, suppliers and clients.

Alejandro

Very good but needs more features...

Great but could be better

Pros

Easy to use. Friendly for any user. Easy to access from anywhere, no software needed in the office computers.

Cons

I want to be able to duplicate jobs so I can do a new takeoff when I get new drawings without altering the previous takeoff. I also want to be able to move the order of the drawing tabs and change the order as needed.

Reasons for choosing STACK

Other team members decided they liked Stack more

Reasons for switching to STACK

Cheaper option, friendly for new users

Simple and Flexible

Pros

The ability to create involved assemblies of products and simply click to add all the right products for each situation is a serious time saver.

Cons

The product and pricing lists need to be easier to manage and update. We have pricing updates or new products about every quarter. To update that info is a hassle to do it one at a time or having to work through support to get an export then format all the new data then send it back to import it.

Reasons for switching to STACK

With System Surveyor we were limited on the number of items we could have on any given survey. We often exceeded the items allowed.

Jeff

I've tried the rest, Stack is clearly the best.

Over the last 15 years, I've been with 2 companies prior to my current and, at both, I encouraged the Owner to purchase Stack (Cloud Take-off previously). Most were hesitant due to ongoing subscriptions with other platforms but eventually I was able to get, at minimum, the take off program. I haven't tried the estimating version and would try it if I could ever get the time to sit down and populate all the different assemblies, vendor pricing etc. The other issue is purchasing something untried and untested to our company specifically tailored to how we function. I think an extended trial period for that training and tailoring to our needs might be enough to justify the upgrade.

Pros

The greatest feature is the ease of use. They kept it simple for the take-off, genius on the auto-save. Of course, the cloud-based feature. No more bringing home the laptop, cables, plans, specs. Quick uploads and tons of memory for those large jobs.

Cons

Had issues with Silverlight running on MAC in earlier versions. ( wasn't a huge deal and I believe when Stack took over they fixed the bugs). I'd like to see options when drawing a linear measurement to have various dashes or hashes for lines would be helpful. For example, on other platforms I could indicate through-wall cf with a red dotted line while below do a solid line indicating another linear measurement such as expansion joint. You would then be able to visually identify to different terminations on the same linear measurement. Just a suggestion.

Nick

Darn near perfect.

Having used Stack for the better part of two years, I can say it has greatly improved our takeoff speed and provided the ability to accomplish several time consuming tasks quickly. Stack features allow me to achieve a great degree of accuracy, and they seem to constantly improve the product with new tools like the snap feature. In the future we look forward to deploying Stack to an even greater extent to win more work, and generate more revenue!

Pros

First and foremost, I enjoy the takeoff speed and accuracy Stack affords our estimating department. Simply by clicking a link on a plan exchange site, or quickly uploading plans, we can begin a highly detailed accurate takeoff in minutes if not seconds. Likewise, we can complete our takeoff much faster than traditional methods saving valuable time to analyze our bids post takeoff.

Cons

Like any good cost hawk, I would highlight price as my least favorite aspect of Stack Software; though I will say the product represents good value for the price! I would like to see Stack offer the complete product in one package, without the present tiered pricing.

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Hi Nick, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Samuel Dean Sheet Metal and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Replied January 2017