Browse STACK Reviews

Sunshine from Worthington Millwork, LLC

Industry: Building Materials

Great product. Customer support right in app and always quick to respond.

Pros

This product is incredibly simple to use, but a very powerful tool. The calendar makes organizing projects by due date easy. You can quickly see what's coming up and space them out when a larger project takes more time. The search function to find past projects is imperative. Doing takeoffs is much easier now. I can export final dwgs and reports so that my sales rep can go back and see exactly what I quoted and where. All the work is saved so I can back and reference it or change it if plans change. The lines and symbols are easy to read and quick to set up. You can dimension the plans when needed and add call outs. The cloud tool is useful for items I have a question about. I can even copy and paste a line several times instead of having to draw it out each time. Being able to add labels to the takeoff is crucial. It makes my quotes much more powerful when I say exactly where I found each product. It also helps if there is a change to the plan later. I can easily remove one section by using the Geometric Report instead of having to dig through all the plans. The ability to use two screens is awesome! When I find a particular detail and have to match it to the plan, it is much easier to have one screen with the detail and one with the plan.

Cons

Some things are not customizable. I can't change the default dimension color or size. But once you set it, it remembers the changes for that page only. I can't rearrange the sheets with the tabs on top. I have to open them in the order I need. So if I find a detail on another sheet, I may have to close some tabs and them reopen them in the order I need. It does integrate with Excel reports, but Excel charges a monthly subscription for that. I am also waiting for the symbol search tool.

Jake from Light-Crete Products & Services, Inc.

Cloud Takeoff

Stack was a significant upgrade to our takeoff process. The speed and being able to natively use it on Mac make this software great. The development team continues to add great features, some of which bring feature parity with competitors, but others are unique and now classified as "can't live without" around our office.

Pros

The ability to log in and pull up all of our project drawings on any computer. The fact that this software is web based is great and makes this platform agnostic. As we are primarily a Mac based office, this is great and does not require virtualization to run windows based software. Stack is also incredibly fast to navigate and bring up projects. Even though our older software was on computer and not web based, it required long waits to open a project and switch between projects. With stack this is almost instantaneous and it allows multiple projects to be open at once in multiple tabs or windows.

Cons

It still lacks some functionality of our previous takeoff software, especially when we first started using it. Much of that functionality has been added since we started using it, and there are a few additional items they currently show as in the pipeline. Once those are released, all of the features we need will be here.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

It is web based and can run natively on Mac for that reason.

Reasons for Switching to STACK

Planswift was dated, didn't work natively on Mac, had little to no updates of value to us for years, and was slow (loading projects).

jerome from orbit builders

Best construction software on the market, Mac friendly

I have had no issues with Stack

Pros

Fast, easy to set up and start using, very user friendly, fast knowledgable customer support

Cons

Is a bit more expensive than similar products, but you can be up and using Stack in less than an hour.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

Works very well on Mac and is very easy to use, fast customer support

August 2016

Lance from Environmental Landworks

August 2016

First Year with Stack CT

Pros

Stack Estimating allows a very flexible approach to take offs and preparing estimates. I've been using this software for just over a year and had previously used another software with other companies. Stack is fairly streamlined, allows multiple options, and organizes your quantities in a way that is very user friendly and easy to manage.

Cons

I find myself frustrated with creating my take off library before starting a project. There are many options, but it would be nice to be able to set some defaults when creating items. For example, when creating a count item, it automatically generates a 'Medium' check mark with 'Medium' line weight. With every count item, I am changing this to 'Small' and 'Small' because the current default obstructs too much of the plan. They have a library that you can set, but every plan has different items so I can only use the library for so much.

Chris from Summit Technology

Simple and Flexible

Pros

The ability to create involved assemblies of products and simply click to add all the right products for each situation is a serious time saver.

Cons

The product and pricing lists need to be easier to manage and update. We have pricing updates or new products about every quarter. To update that info is a hassle to do it one at a time or having to work through support to get an export then format all the new data then send it back to import it.

Reasons for Switching to STACK

With System Surveyor we were limited on the number of items we could have on any given survey. We often exceeded the items allowed.

Tim from The Hayes Comany

Easy to use Estimating software!

We are bidding more projects then ever and Stack is an important part of the workflow.

Pros

We love stack for our takeoffs. Cloud service is an essential service as we like to open plans from multiple workstations and conference rooms. We also have multiple estimators who frequently work from home. This software is extremely useful for all of those circumstances. The software itself is intuitive and easy to use.

Cons

The only thing that really bothers me is just load speed of plans.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

Ultimately, it was ease of deployment and cloud use. We do have one estimator who still uses On Screen Takeoff.

Joe from Sundance Plumbing Co.

We couldn't do what we do without STACK!

Nothing but positive.

Pros

All the takeoff tools available to us allow my team and I to not only perform takeoffs, but do simple shop drawings and sketches. There's always new technology available for no additional charge.

Cons

The only complaint I would ever have would be when OUR internet is slow, something the STACK doesn't control.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

Affordable price point, great technologies.

Reasons for Switching to STACK

We wanted a cloud based technology for easier access to our project documents and takeoffs.

Tyler from Thoutt Bros Inc.

Great bang for the buck estimating software.

Overall I have been very happy with STACK and its team.

Pros

The customer support is top notch with instant and clear replies with real people. The learning curve for creating takeoff's is very user friendly.

Cons

The proposal generation is limited on what you can show or customize with the layout.

Price point

Reasons for Switching to STACK

ProEst was very slow and clunky with long wait times for help.

Paige from caliber Associates

Stack user/lover

Pros

My favorite function Stack provides is that its all online, and takeoffs are saved in real time.

Cons

I do wish that footing takeoffs (3d Linear) could be scaled to fit the footing lines on the plan itself. Also that single takeoff dots for area takeoffs could be deleted after takeoff is finished.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

better customer support & easier access to plans

Reasons for Switching to STACK

Needed a more updated and higher functioning software, with better customer support.

Charles from Lagniappe National Construction, LLC

Very Good Takeoff Tool

Pros

Extremely user friendly and easy to implement.

Cons

No mobile version, requires clients to create an account to view my takeoff, and requires colleagues to create an account to perform a free takeoff. Then bombards them with marketing emails.

Reasons for Switching to STACK

I felt planswift was antiquated and difficult to use.

Joseph from V3 Construction

Joseph Martin Review

I have really enjoyed using Stack. I have used other products for the past 8 years. I enjoy a lot of the features Stack has to offer.

Pros

I really like how it is based on the internet. There is nothing to download. I can work on my projects form anywhere on any computer. Items and assemblies are really well thought out. I don't have to export my quantities to Excel to come up with an item list.

Cons

I wish there were more hotkey functions. I also wish there was a way to designate a length instead of having to try and hit the desired length with the mouse.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

I'm not sure. I was not involved in this decision, but it was probably because of the ease of use and the web based interface.

Reasons for Switching to STACK

I switched companies and they were just starting with Stack.

Alan from Haskins Electric

Game Changing Estimates

Stack has changed the way we estimate and instantly generates accurate material lists for every project!

Pros

The ability to customize my assemblies.

Cons

Stack is still in its infancy. Need ability to see item reports and customize accounting features.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

Ability to customize assemblies and logic built into the application.

Reasons for Switching to STACK

Did not offer the assembly customization and reporting that Stack does. Stack is staying on the cutting edge.

Kyle from Business Services Collective NFP

Pros

For someone familiar with doing takeoffs the old fashioned pen and paper way, pretty intuitive! Easy to upload drawings and get to work.

Cons

The exporting feature has seemed clunky for us. We want to export this into a format our contractors can read, understand and also edit (changing unit pricing eg in excel).

Reasons for Choosing STACK

STACK was most straightforward, modern, simplified takeoff software. Best value for price.

Gaby from McGough Construction

Simple Construction Estimating Software

Overall, the estimation simulator is a convenient and easy to use software that can be used on a multitude of devices. The option to try out the system for free is an amazing feature since it allows someone trying to find the right software for their company without the hassle of wasting money on programs that don't work.

Pros

This take-off estimator software will make any construction bidding process less confusing and give you accurate estimates that are organized in an easy to read manner. The layout of the estimator are very clear as to where the information is supposed to go and can be brought up with a simple tap of a button. If you need to make changes to the bids, no problem! After making changes the software will give you the new estimations with the new information in just a few seconds. You can upload the software to any company laptop, desktop, or iPad with ease. You can upload all information needed for a bidding process such as mark ups, materials, contractor prices, etc. with accuracy and ease. One last feature is the option to save bids to the Cloud or directly onto a device.

Cons

For a start-up company the software can become a bit pricey depending on which plan you decide to use. There is a free of charge option, but it is very limited compared to the Plus and Pro versions.

James from ADT Commercial

Streamline our Estimating

I have zero complaints with the program or customer service.

Pros

As a fire protection estimator it is hard to find a program that allows me to do a design build electronically. I could use a Autocad style program to do the base design, but in our world of fast paced turnaround I simply do not have the time to use a program like Autocad. With StackCT I can use the linear drop function to place our sprinkler heads with proper spacing.

Cons

The autocount symbol function is good, but there are times when I get only a single count instead of hundreds needed. It has gotten better, but if there was a way to edit the background noise for the selection it would be nearly perfect.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

I liked the customer service and training that allowed me to quickly learn the program.

Reasons for Switching to STACK

Bluebeam does not allow me as an FP estimator to do what I need.

David from Anderson Fire Protection

Stack Implementation into Speacialty Contrctor Business

First it controls the flow of information and the non-flow of paper in the office. This is the biggest plus. Secondly for me I can estimate much quicker once I get set up. Which gives me more time to look into the smaller details and ultimately create a better more accurate proposal.

Pros

Foe years I had thought about utilizing a symbol based estimating take off software because we were moving from paper to the digital world. I randomly found this online about 9 months ago. It is everything I would have done. It makes sense because it stores all your basis of the estimate information electronically and you no lounger have to use paper. The cost of Paper alone pays for the service as I estimate in our business model that each contracts salesman was expending roughly $5,000 per year in document printing. The other benefit for us is that because it is electronically stored we no longer have to go through our offices every three months and disposed of all the paper on projects we did not get. Or God knows you deep six a project and the following week you get a call to review the project for contracting and other than your estimate spread sheet you have no visual layout to look at for reference. So you print it out again and then re lay out the devices and bulk materials.

Cons

For me it actually does everything I want it to do other than integration into actual building of estimates. I know that we have that capability but this a cost intensive project for each contractor. Obviously this is not a deal breaker though and perhaps in the future you could offer templates that are patterned after specific industries which would lower the cost of developing the complete estimating solution.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

Again I am not able to comment. For me I saw it and since I was thinking down this path to begin with it was a no brainer.

Matt from Curley Brothers Brick and Masonry

Simple and Easy to Use!

For very quick masonry estimates, nothing beats this software. For more advanced/detailed prints, as long as you take your time this will work just fine. I haven't seen a friendlier piece of software at an affordable price that gives you want you need without being headache to setup.

Pros

We looked for a very long time for a very simple takeoff program and this is definitely it. We have used this program for the past year and a half to get measurements on masonry and it has not failed us. Our trade does not need super advanced features so this suites us perfectly. If you have a properly scaled PDF then you can hit the ground running for your measurements. Otherwise, determining your own scale is very simple to do and I've even taken pictures of blueprints with my phone to roughly estimate one of our simpler prints in under 10 prints from the camera snapping. Amazing.

Cons

Due to this program being available online only sometimes it can be finicky if you have a poor internet connection or if there is some sort of (extremely rare) maintenance. As stated earlier, we use this for masonry so it does not need advanced features. But as with all estimating, you will still need a basic knowledge of your trade's quirks. If you can't see a wall on an elevation because it is returning into the building then you will need to approximately draw it in under your elevation based off of a foundation plan or floor plan. Not super hard but it just will not do all of the work for you.

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Replied January 2017

Hi Matt, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Curley Brothers Brick & Masonry and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Stephen from All Star Cleaning & Preservation, Inc.

Industry: Shipbuilding

Still LeAfrning Take off portion not all PDF will scale true.

Honestly a learning experience is the best I grt now,

Pros

Just Inputting and using program to enter ships and drawings of ships in for each class of ship we are working on. once more jobs are entered would like to end up witha square foot to S data base so in futur we can ask how many sqare foot pf bilge in the AMR on a WMSL Class ship and wbhat did we charge as an average for painting by square foot. Now have Started to measure 2s square footage but have not seen or understand hoe to correlate that to job. Much less how to enter it and pull it out to make a bid I supose that will come in time. First we are verifying what we have and then there will be more data base building from old and new bids as we go , including machinery and equipment needs to use and the material required. The we should be able ask " the customer want us to paint the forward bulkead in the bosn locke dark ble using xxx paint prepared to SSPC SP10 what will the cost be for bid... hpw much profit can we make and also what is the average marie rate for that.

Cons

AS I explained above new at it and have not yet gotten to the point of being a well trained user of it. Howevr it has bothered me when i set in a PDF print use the stated scale and do noy get a known answer ...>>>>>Just Inputting and using program to enter ships and drawings of ships in for each class of ship we are working on. once more jobs are entered would like to end up witha square foot to S data base so in futur we can ask howmany sqare foot pf bilge in the AMR on a WMSL Class ship and wbhat did we charge as an average for painting by square foot. Now have Started to measure 2s square footage but have not seen or understand hoe to correlate that to job. Much less how to enter it and pull it out to make a bid I supose thst will come in time. First we are verifying what we have and then there will be more data base building from old and new bids as we go , including machinery and equipment needs to use and the material required. The we shold be able ask " the customer want us to paint the fwd bulkead in the bosn locke dark ble using xxx paint prepared to SSPC SP10 what will the cost be for bid... hpw much profit can we make and also what is the average marie rate for that.Workin the marine industry in a land familiar setting.

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Replied May 2017

Hi Stephen, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of All Star Cleaning & Preservation, Inc. and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Peter from Ontario Panelization

A takeoff platform that continues to improve.

We are currently seeing a 15-20% time savings on this new platform. The user interface allows us to onboard new staff much quirker.

Pros

OCR regonition makes searching drawings for keywords a breeze. Custom variables within the estimate module simplifies building an estimate.

Cons

The Stack team continually publishes important Stack Updates monthly; many of the cons I've seen over the last year have been resolved. With that said the lack of an UNDO function is a continual annoyance (I am told this fix is on the roadmap).

Reasons for Choosing STACK

Seeing the constant updates from Stack shows me that they are committed to improving the software.

Reasons for Switching to STACK

Stack's cloud interface is faster to setup and faster to use. The cloud based setup allows us to hyperlink project takeoffs directly to our CRM; and share that takeoff with colleagues, suppliers and clients.

Alejandro from Elite Metal Framing

Very good but needs more features...

Great but could be better

Pros

Easy to use. Friendly for any user. Easy to access from anywhere, no software needed in the office computers.

Cons

I want to be able to duplicate jobs so I can do a new takeoff when I get new drawings without altering the previous takeoff. I also want to be able to move the order of the drawing tabs and change the order as needed.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

Other team members decided they liked Stack more

Reasons for Switching to STACK

Cheaper option, friendly for new users

Jeff from QA Roofing, Inc.

I've tried the rest, Stack is clearly the best.

Over the last 15 years, I've been with 2 companies prior to my current and, at both, I encouraged the Owner to purchase Stack (Cloud Take-off previously). Most were hesitant due to ongoing subscriptions with other platforms but eventually I was able to get, at minimum, the take off program. I haven't tried the estimating version and would try it if I could ever get the time to sit down and populate all the different assemblies, vendor pricing etc. The other issue is purchasing something untried and untested to our company specifically tailored to how we function. I think an extended trial period for that training and tailoring to our needs might be enough to justify the upgrade.

Pros

The greatest feature is the ease of use. They kept it simple for the take-off, genius on the auto-save. Of course, the cloud-based feature. No more bringing home the laptop, cables, plans, specs. Quick uploads and tons of memory for those large jobs.

Cons

Had issues with Silverlight running on MAC in earlier versions. ( wasn't a huge deal and I believe when Stack took over they fixed the bugs). I'd like to see options when drawing a linear measurement to have various dashes or hashes for lines would be helpful. For example, on other platforms I could indicate through-wall cf with a red dotted line while below do a solid line indicating another linear measurement such as expansion joint. You would then be able to visually identify to different terminations on the same linear measurement. Just a suggestion.

Nick from Samuel Dean Sheet Metal, Inc.

Darn near perfect.

Having used Stack for the better part of two years, I can say it has greatly improved our takeoff speed and provided the ability to accomplish several time consuming tasks quickly. Stack features allow me to achieve a great degree of accuracy, and they seem to constantly improve the product with new tools like the snap feature. In the future we look forward to deploying Stack to an even greater extent to win more work, and generate more revenue!

Pros

First and foremost, I enjoy the takeoff speed and accuracy Stack affords our estimating department. Simply by clicking a link on a plan exchange site, or quickly uploading plans, we can begin a highly detailed accurate takeoff in minutes if not seconds. Likewise, we can complete our takeoff much faster than traditional methods saving valuable time to analyze our bids post takeoff.

Cons

Like any good cost hawk, I would highlight price as my least favorite aspect of Stack Software; though I will say the product represents good value for the price! I would like to see Stack offer the complete product in one package, without the present tiered pricing.

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Replied January 2017

Hi Nick, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Samuel Dean Sheet Metal and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

John from T-Squared

Job Cost Estimating

I have literally increased my productivity by 1,000% I am doing 10-times more bids and with much greater accurracy, no one questions my take offs.

Pros

The use of pop-ups when you "Mouse-Over" items is very effective, makes things very intuitive, lessens time-to-learn how to use the system.

Cons

Need to have more than 50 characters when naming take-off items, at least 100 characters.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

Stack is cloud-based and has many little features that make it possible for me to communicate facts about a take off like the SHARE button and so many other things, too many to mention...the TEXT BOX, the BOOKMARK and its ability to CROSS-REFERENCE links between sheet numbers.

Reasons for Switching to STACK

Stack support is very responsive and the system itself is very intuitive.

GREGORY from Brush Strokes Quality Painting

Hands down best out there in support and product.

My overall experience has been amazing. This company is great to do business with.

Pros

Cloud based and customer service are the best out there. They are forward thinking and always chasing perfection. They may not catch perfection but they kick excellence in the butt.

Cons

I wish I had cheaper licenses for my estimating department.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

User friendly and customer service.

Reasons for Switching to STACK

Old and cumbersome products.

Reuben from The Edgewood Co., Inc

One of the best available software for estimating

Before I used stack ct, our company used an estimating system known to many; planswift. When we made the switch to stack ct about a year ago, I was suprised we hadn't switched before. The ease of use and ergonomical set up makes this cloud based system great for not only one, but many user to edit all at once. Even better, we upgraded about 2 months ago to the full Stack Pro and are now using the items and assemblies options. I can run a full job and have my estimate in under 30 minutes thanks to this awesome feature. One of the main reasons I will be staying with stack is their level of customer service, no matter what the problem is, or the time you are having the problem, the service is top level and extremely helpful. So far, I have not had one problem they haven't been able to fix. I would highly recommend this great product for any estimators looking to make their job more simple.

Pros

Constant Upgrades, high level of customer service, user friendly and very detailed reports and takeoffs.

Cons

You cannot copy an entire project. Also, you can't download all the plans at once. You are able to export marked up files but if you want to download the entire plans that you have uploaded (in case you deleted the original files) you will have to select each plan to download; very time consuming.

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Replied January 2017

Hi Reuben, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of The Edgewood Co. and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Nick from Werner Lumber Company

Industry: Building Materials

Stack helps us create accurate takeoffs in shorter time frames by allowing us to measure and count faster and more accurately. Since we now only have the basic we still do a lot of hand calculating, however, the measuring portion is done is a much faster more accurate time than could be done by hand.

Pros

My team loves how easy the program is to use and track projects. The measuring and estimating capabilities of this program are fantastic.

Cons

I am displeased with the fact that several years ago we subscribed when the software was in its infancy and the rates seem to continue to take drastic jumps each time we are due for renewal. Additional, we spent countless hours a few years back to put in all the formulas for the assemblies program and after spending all the time to create them, when it was time for renewal if we wanted to keep access to all of "our" formulas we had to pay an additional fee to keep the work we created.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

Originally, we purchased it for the ease of use and pricing, however, the pricing has drastically increased since the original subscription so we may have to reevaluate when renewals are due.

Mark from Phillips' Floor Inc.

Uploads Plans quickly, great features and great customer service.

Pros

For me it has to be the speed at which it allows me to get through a large scale take-off. The way I can customize my labels makes it easy for me to separate areas and alternates for each individual project, and then sort them and pull information from with in those labels easily and quickly.

Cons

Not many Cons, but it would be nice to be able to use my delete key on my key board once I have takeoff highlighted versus highlighting the take off then going over to the menu bar and then taking the cursor down to the delete function. It would also be nice to hold down command/cntrl key and select multiple take offs to copy and or delete. Finally being able to highlight a takeoff area and change what that take-off is with out deleting it and re- drawing it, this would be a huge time saver for me when dealing with addendum and design team changes.

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Replied June 2017

Hi Mark, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Phillips' Floor Inc. and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Jeff from Lakeridge Paving Company

Great Takeoff Tool!

Overall Stack is great and is saving our company time & money! It took a little bit for additional users in our office to get up to speed, but they are cruising right along now. Troy and the guys in support always get back to me promptly. I've been using Stack for about 8 years now and couldn't be happier!

Pros

Cloud Storage, Takeoff Storage, Calendar, Accumulating Units of Measurement, Customer Support, Copy/Paste, Upload Times, Legend, Highlight, Labels, Auto-load from Smartbidnet ITB's, able to view takeoffs from mobile version & able to view other user's takeoffs on our account.

Cons

Going through the plan pages seems cumbersome at times. I wish Stack could go back to the Cloud Takeoff Silverlight version, much better UI. Not being able to reorganize the plan sheet tabs by a left click and drag, have to close each one of them down and then go through the correct page sequence to display in the order you want. Chrome issue of having to multi select every item you want to quickly delete. Not being able to share a takeoff instantly, instead we have to download the plan into a PDF and send the PDF.

Anthony from JHN, Inc. d.b.a. Coustic-Glo

Fantastic! Anyone who can use a computer, can use this software to easily generate measurements.

Generating accurate takeoffs and reports as an estimator, to get accurate pricing on materials for our projects is a main role of my position

Pros

I love how easy STACK is to use. I literally can hop on my computer and generate a takeoff and reports of a pretty complex drawing within minutes. I don't have to calculate anything, as this software does the math for me. Additionally, I haven't had to ever use technical support for STACK because it's always live and working when I am, but there is always a button to talk to a representative present on the screen in case I do run into trouble. Another thing I love, is that it's online browser-based, and I never have to worry about saving anything. It automatically saves wherever I have left off on a project. Speaking of projects, STACK also allows one to organize different projects on it's calendar very easily, and things can also be edited/changed/deleted efficiently. Without STACK my job would be a lot harder, and take a lot longer. I'm not even sure that I've taken advantage of everything that STACK has to offer, but as you can see, I am thrilled for what I use it for. I am fairly new to this application, and career, but as you can see, I love it. I'm sure it has paid for itself many times over.

Cons

Sometimes STACK can lag a bit, but I'm willing to say that it has to do with some of the drawings/prints that I have had to upload there, and not necessarily the fault of the STACK application.

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Replied June 2017

Hi Anthony, We are so glad to hear that you are thrilled with the impact our software is having on your business! We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Be sure to contact us if there is anything you need in the future. We are here for you! Wishing you much continued success!

Joe from CLW Construction Inc

estimating issues

Up until recently my experience was great. Something has to give in the estimating software area. Has to be made easier. You have to be able to change pricing and add materials easier as you are working on your bid. there are times you forget things that you have to add later. As contractors we need to be able to set our profit and loss. Not have percentages pre-filled into Stacks estimating sheets.

Pros

I think the estimating program as far as taking off in general is as easy as it gets. But when you get you your estimating software that's where the problems begin.

Cons

The estimating sheets do not let you change pricing easily unless you have all that set up in your costs already and metal is changing so rapidly as an estimator you need to be able to change numbers on your take-off sheet as you are working on it. Also the cost calculator worked just fine until recently. Now i can't even send excel sheets to the calculator because they don't work. A month ago everything was fine.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

It's easy to use. Well it was, now I'm not sure if we will continue using it.

andy from Beacon Contracting, LLC

Easy to use. Great Product!

Pros

Stack is a great product for doing takeoffs efficiently and at a great price. The features that come with it are great, and they are constantly adding new ones. I love the fact that you get immediate attention from the developers whenever you have a question or comment. The only thing better than their product it the customer service!

Cons

It can be a little buggy when using different browsers. If I remember correctly , I was using Firefox and had problems, they told me to switch to Chrome, and when I started getting comfortable with Chrome I started having issues and they told me to switch to Firefox! I currently use Chrome, and there can occasionally be a little bug here or there (ex. trying to select one of my items to edit - hint: use the multiselect!).

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Replied June 2017

Hi Andy, We are so glad to hear that you are thrilled with the impact our software is having on your business! We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Be sure to contact us if there is anything you need in the future. We are here for you! Wishing you much continued success!

Jason from Blitz Security

From a 'count' only estimating company......

The power of cloud-based software is amazing, a definite game-changer for us. The product has many pro's with just as many could have's. Still using our old software on occasions where we need to price several options, change the structure of the proposal or offer breakup costs.

Pros

Takeoffs are quick, assemblies are easy to put together, it's very quick and easy to change what items and assemblies in a count. The main advantage for us is that we can have multiple people using the software at once.

Cons

Features I'd like to see are: -adding assemblies to an assembly 'item group' -simplify the process of creating an item>creating an assembly>creating a count takeoff -customized icons for takeoff counts -ability to lock (tick box) pricing in a proposal. once locked a new revision will be made if any variations are added -ability to copy a project and make several versions of it, so the older revisions are superseded but still available for reflection -ability to change pricing at the Estimate page for that specific project, without changing global pricing stack-wide -ability to download proposals in more than .pdf. Eg word, excel -ability to manage projects a little better. lots of unused space on the Projects screen. On the left you should have folders that organise my projects into 'Bidding, Bid submitted, Won, Lost etc'

Cloud based

Daniel Frondorf from DG Frondorf and Associates LLC

Stack's ease of use and accuracy have been mains factors in our success at generating numerous takeoffs quickly, efficiently, and accurately.

We like the fact that Stack is web based, enabling us to work in an out of the office, or anywhere we have access to the internet.

Pros

We appreciate the ability of the software to quickly set up new projects and to get started working on them as soon as we receive work orders from our clients; the ability to see the underlying plan sheet on which were working is a hidden benefit - we often find ourselves using Stack as a plan review tool as well as a takeoff tool. The mobility of the view on the screen is most helpful - zooming in and out is especially useful. Our clients appreciate our ability to provide them plan sheets marked up with the takeoffs quantities visibly highlighted and in legend format.

Cons

We are civil estimators, and we frequently have the need to perform earthwork takeoffs from cross sections. Sadly, Stack does not yet have the ability to set dual scales (horizontal and vertical) that allow area takeoffs on cross sectional views. This is a feature improvement we've suggested many times when our product reps call us to check in with us periodically (which we appreciate), so we hope this becomes a new feature in the near future.

Jeremy from Legacy Roofing LLC

Stack has been a valuable asset to our growth in the past year.

We have had an amazing experience with stack, after what was really a short learning period do to its ease of use it allowed us to accomplish more estimates, faster, and with more accuracy. They say the one thing you may never be able to get more of is time, well perhaps software like STACK can change that.

Pros

It is easy to use this is first and foremost because we have staff with different levels of comfort with computers. Next it is still powerful and allows us to get all the information we need for an accurate and confident estimate. With the information you generate in STACK you can do a very accurate estimate versus actual job cost at the end as well to see how you are doing and what areas of your business may need work or training.

Cons

I do still wish we could have Profit and Overhead calculated and even take an estimate to its completion with an estimate writer, however I know these things are being looked at and I hope to see them soon.

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Replied January 2017

Hi Jeremy, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Legacy Roofing and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Bob from KJ Maul Construction

Powerful, especially in the right hands!

We are younger folks in the business who are very familiar with excel and spreadsheet formulas. This program is made for those types of minds. What we have achieved with this program using custom assemblies is remarkable and powerful. This program has elevated our business and shaved thousands off the cost of estimating our projects without sacrificing the accuracy.

Pros

The program is easy to use out of the box/ The real magic is in the custom assemblies. You can create anything you're looking for. At first, these custom assemblies are cumbersome to set up. But once they are set up, taking off a project is almost automated. Add in some nifty features like different scales on the same drawing page, multipliers for different layers, multitool select for deleting and copying... We are very happy with this product for on-screen take-offs. The new excel template recently released is also great.

Cons

Honestly, there's always going to be something an end user wants but most of the things we want are things that are too difficult to apply universally. For example, we would love to see the ability to alter pricing and structure of existing assemblies but the only way to do that is to make it custom. We understand why, because all users draw from these assemblies. What would be nice is to copy groups within a stack assembly.

Tj from TriFormedTops

Stack - Great buy and an affordable price

I have very much enjoyed using Stack. I have mentioned it to other companies that we work with and I speak extremely high of it. It has increased our efficiency as a business and has helped to bring us into the 21st century.

Pros

This product is extremely easy to use. We want from pencil and paper to entirely on Stack in less than a month. It is easy to learn and well organized. The plans/ takeoff tabs are extremely straightforward and highly effective. They are also constantly updating the software and listening to recommendations.

Cons

There are some features in the reports / estimates sections that can be overwhelming but Stack has been updating and changing them constantly to make them easier to use and more efficient. I would like it for the prices in the reports / estimates to stay constant when broken down since in the subsection reports the prices are rounded up in each individual room however in the unit costs they are rounded up from a total amount in the job.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

I don't recall any of the other products. I chose Stack because of the cost and the high reviews I saw online. Once I started my trial and got a chance to work with their awesome team in my tutorial I knew I had made the right purchase.

Chris from Chris Loeffler

Stack

Pros

The functions and takeoff procedures has really helped speed up my takeoff process.

Cons

The web based software sometimes leads to lags/glitches when zooming in and out. If you zoom in and do your take off then zoom out to continue your takeoff it does not start your take off right away, and you have to click twice to initiate the new takeoff.

Reasons for Switching to STACK

This program is easy to modify to make it suitable for your own takeoff methods.

Jason from Gideon's Fleece General Construction

Low learning curve

We've handles jobs from a few thousand to millions and the PMs love our cost break outs

Pros

Stack allowed us to quickly make the switch from more costly and out of date software. It's platform independence means we can access our files from the field anytime. The low learning curve means I can have assistants up and running in a day or two.

Cons

Dependence on Microsoft Excel for reports

Reasons for Switching to STACK

Price, ease of use, platform independence, and best of all, theres nothing to install. All updates are done without me knowing or chewing up my bandwidth and bogging down my computer

Celso from Shine Star Hardwood Flooring

You get what you pay for: clean, sleek and useful platform

I have enjoyed the customer service experience, the frequency with which the platform is often updated. The design is modern, surface is easy to use, very user friendly and not technical at all. After a few hours you can easily learn all the software has to offer.

Pros

The software is easy to get used to, and after a few hours of clicking around one can easily (without further support) learn all the features and how to work them. There are more features that just take-off measuring which is awesome for customers who can take advantage of it. We have other ways to get our estimates sent out but for those contractors who want a unified platform they do a great job.

Cons

The price is a little steep, but we have not found another software that is as easy to use and reliable as stack, so we are okay with paying the price. If their prices keep increasing at each renewal however, we might no longer be able to afford it as a small business.

Lee from The John Boyle Company

Great for take-offs!

CustomerService is truly the best and most responsive! If all you need is take-offs and/or estimating of formal bid projects as a small sub. This is great. If you are looking to hand to someone to take project from ITB to estimate, this will perform well. If you want a software to run project from start to finish or a better way to track the process, results, expect to pair this with a CRM software.

Pros

Take-offs are easy to import, mark-up and change. Worth it for us just for the takeoffs.

Cons

High Cost for additional users. Not a project management software. Estimating gets it partway there but not a good solution to take a project from lead to completion. Estimates and projects not easy to enter unless take-off is done. Sometimes I need to create a quote where a plan is not provided and only field measured. Hence, I do not use for estimating as I don’t want to have some in one place and others in another. Would like to see it integrated with more CRM software services. Would like more options on mark-ups or layers and/or the ability to see/hide mark-ups without losing them.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

Price, ease of use, quality of customer service.

Jonathan from Custom Welding and Fabricating

STACKED REVIEW

Overall my experience with this program has been fantastic. Im one for articulate writing, but there is very little bad i can say about this program on the overall. I use it sometimes 10 hours a day straight.

Pros

This software is the most user friendly software i have used. It does not matter what form the drawings are in. I can scale and take off a scanned set of drawings just as easily as i can with a downloaded set of drawings. I have a few pdf programs downloaded which i can scale to which do not require me to upload anything. However if i can afford the opportunity i always prefer to load the drawings into stacked for scaling and takeoff.

Cons

One of my least favorite features is the "Auto Name" function. This feature tends to need a bit more work. Granted there is the option to manually name each page; which is fine for small projects with just a few sheets. However the larger jobs this is just tedious and time consuming.

Ryan from NT Masonry

Review for STACK

Besides those 2 complaints it's a very functional tool that I spend probably 8-10+ hours on daily.

Pros

The capability to pull any plan up from anywhere as long as I have internet connection. I have used it in several impromptu meetings with clients, Gc's, and our own crew. We aren't tethered to a specific computer source. A search tool in the plans makes finding the finicky details very easy.

Cons

No overlay option for addendum's and no Arch tool which is just time consuming make a ton of little clicks.

Reasons for Switching to STACK

Access to our takeoffs from anywhere. Surface Area Tool.

Jeff from Diversified Wall Systems

The new Stack is great, just missing a couple things from the old version.

I love the new Stack, it works perfectly. The only things it's missing are a couple features from the old version. First, the ability to copy a takeoff. Second, the ability to change a takeoff to something else. Those used to really come in handy, for example, when working on plans for an apartment building or hotel. Say I need the square footage of every floor. Before, I could measure the first floor, copy the measurement, paste it over the second floor, and then change it to Second Floor whatever. My favorite new feature, on the other hand, is the ability to do cutouts. If you're taking off a large area, and there's something you don't want just hanging out in the middle, you no longer have to work around it. You can just cover it, and then cut it out after.

Pros

Simplicity and ease-of-use and the various new features all work great.

Cons

The ability to copy/paste and change takeoffs is missing. That's really the only negative thing I can say.

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Replied January 2017

Hello Jeff, Thanks so much for your recent feedback - we love hearing how much our users enjoy STACK takeoff and estimating software! A member of our team would be happy to help you with the takeoff copy/paste feature. Just give us a call at 1.866.702.6078 at your convenience. Happy New Year!

Christopher from RVA Firestopping, LLC

Review at 2-1/2 years of use by sub-tier subcontractor estimator and manager

Excellent service and utility for this mid-size specialty contractor.

Pros

The ease of onboarding compared to other products. Does not require previous take-off or software expertise.

Cons

That is is in a web browser and that has it's on tricky aspects too it. I hope an app can be developed one day. Also pulling off pdfs is neigh impossible depending on the original file size.

Reasons for Choosing STACK

Cost and ease of onboarding.

Troy from Stovall Construction, Inc.

Efficiency, Accuracy, Ease, and Value for a General Contractor.

Stack Estimating has been a great tool for our estimating efforts as a General Contractor who works extensively with subcontractors and also manages some material acquisitions internally. With Stack, our takeoffs are done quickly to gauge the responsiveness of the sub bids we receive, as well as accurately where we need the added detail and assurance that our own material quantities are correctly captured. Easy to use, our staff has caught on quickly to the intuitive interface. Stack has been responsive to update functionalities and streamline processes when requested. Overall we find the Stack team to be supportive and the software a great value.

Pros

Simple enough to work through takeoffs quickly, strong enough to handle breakdown and summaries, and customized categories and labeling.

Cons

We use Stack largely for takeoffs in conjunction with other software for preparing our final estimates. For those who may want functionality beyond takeoff and basic cost estimates that we utilize in the program, you will need to consult with the staff and evaluate that functionality for your own goals. For how we use it, it works well.

Mourad from Amirco Électrique Inc

My review on the product

very potential software

Pros

Very easy to use - friendly/professional interface - high level of filtering and reporting

Cons

The Undo option should be available. add a folder to save the deleted items for a while in order to retrieve it in case of any deletion by mistake The software is really missing a drawing tool (arrows, circles, squares, etc...)

Price Web-based

Christine from The Wood Floor Company

Incredible time saver

Time saved, enhanced communication with clients, and visual PDF output to ensure accuracy.

Pros

It is so easy to use and makes visualizing our take offs 10000% easier. We can designate different colors for different materials and export to confirm install areas with our clients. Customer service is always very quick and attentive to any questions or issues and the updates have continued to vastly improve over the time we have used the software. This has changed how our business operates at every level!

Cons

In future updates, it would be nice to be able to paint over certain take off areas with patterns to demonstrate what will be installed (wood, tile, etc). This is in no way necessary, but would add tremendous value to how we communicate with our clients.

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Replied June 2017

Hi Christine, Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of The Wood Floor Company and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process. We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Joshua from Rock Solid Excavating

A great program for take-offs, especially if you're new to estimating or take-off software

I'm very happy with the program and have yet to find anything that comes close to competing with their features. The price tag is a little steep compared to some other competitors, but the ease of use, pre-made items and assemblies, and features included with the software are definitely worth it.

Pros

Stack has a very simple learning curve. It's basically a point and click software that allows you to perform take-offs quickly and easily, no matter your experience level. The software also enables you to add pre-loaded or customized items and assemblies to your take-offs so you can create estimates as as you go, saving tons of time on each bid. Perhaps most importantly, their customer service is phenomenal. I have never had a problem getting ahold of a representative, and they usually answer my question or solve my issue within minutes of me reaching out.

Cons

Their estimating/proposal templates could be made more customizable rather than restricting you to only detailed labor and material pricing or unit pricing options, but they offer the ability to transfer any of your reports to Xcel where you can do that yourself, so it really isn't a huge issue.

Halie from Ghelan Tile & Stone

Very easy website to use, use it everyday.

The quickness of knowing the area of a floor plan. Very easy and time saving if I need to turn in a job ASAP.

Pros

I like the simplicity of the software. How Easy it is to upload jobs. How you can filter through pages. My favorite thing is how alike the tools are to other computer programs (photo shop, etc) it makes it easy to learn and teach others.

Cons

I wish it had a wider variety of tools, some actions seem unnecessary. My biggest problem is not being able to open a line again when it is closed. If by accident I double click to close a segment (which is very often) I have to restart the entire measurement instead of an easy action being there, like a back button. Also I wish I could change the scale of a certain area/page instead of having to delete and redo the entire thing, considering some of the measurements on blueprints can be wrong at times.

Andy from Beacon Contracting LLC

Great product, excellent value!

Stack takeoff has been an excellent find for our office, allowing us to do takeoffs quicker while saving money over the other options out there. The customer service is 2nd to none, I wish I could give more than 5 stars! My favorite part of using Stack is that they are constantly updating/improving features and options by listening to feedback from their customers and incorporating what they need/desire. I've never waited more than a few minutes to get a response when I have a question or idea. It is very nice to have that personal experience. I would highly recommend Stack to anybody who wants to speed up their takeoff procedures, or those who are paying more for software that does the same thing Stack is capable of!

Pros

Ease of use, constant updates/features added, value

Cons

There have been a few times (very few) that there is a feature that seems should be simple, but isn't there. They do take suggestions though, so I look forward to seeing these features added in future updates.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,152 reviews