• Pros

• "The ease of use. The software is user friendly and allows my day to day job to be more efficient. "

• "The software is very user friendly, and makes tracking submittals or making logs very easy."

• "It is relatively easy to learn and get around in the system. The graphical nature of the screens help a lot in using it."

• Cons

• "file structure and initial setup for specific projects can be a bit cumbersome. this may be a collaborative effect as much as anything, not sure... "

• "I have found working with the Simplex Team that there are not any Cons regarding the use of VPO. VPO can be as productive as the end user wants it to be."

• "The risk to start the process and to use it for the first month. The best reward was it works great."

Browse VPO Reviews

Brian from Bowen Collins & Associates

Well done Simplex. Great tool to manage small to large projects. Implementation can be customized.

Saving time by using VPO. The automation is great. The system automatically logs the submittals, RFI, Etc is taking the risk off of our teams to keep eyes out for the importance instead of emailing, downloading, logging and resending out these items. The risk of sitting on an important document.

Pros

The best construction management software I have used. It is customizable and offers time savings to log and automate the processes on a project. VPO uses SharePoint, a Microsoft Product as the strong backbone of this tool. The Simplex Company is very personable and great to work with.

Reasons for Switching to VPO

Upgrading to a software product that is based on a reliable backbone You could customize for the forms we like Process to set up new projects is much faster Cost is fixed which is economical, not based on a percentage of the construction project

Brian from El Sol Contracting

VPO for Highway Construction Team

The biggest benefit of using VPO is organization. Our team is able to look back and find anything we had done in the past. It has also saved us time by using the customized forms VPO has tailored for us to meet our clients needs.

Pros

The software is built to be very user friendly and is customizable to fit your company and/or client needs.

Cons

Using the SharePoint app on an iPhone can sometimes be slow but eventually all of the data you need is at your fingertips.

Reasons for Choosing VPO

VPO was able to customize their product while the others could not. VPO was more affordable.

Stevan from SB Thomas & Associates

Good concept but needs improvement

The product lacks some basic functionality that I would have expected to be included given the typical requirements of the construction industry, especially related to the pay applications and submittals. The system is fairly easy to use and seems to be relatively easily adaptable to scale to larger or smaller scale projects. Multiple "templates" can be developed for projects with different requirements such as building construction vs. horizontal work (roads, bridges, etc.) that have significantly different needs which is a big bonus. Overall the product is decent for the price but continual improvements should be provided as is the case with most competing software.

Pros

Flexibility and relative familiarity is a bonus. As this system is Sharepoint based most users can navigate it with relative ease. It allows for modification to meet individual company requirements and is not as rigidly structured as other CM software. Modifications can be made by the administrator if your company has someone with Sharepoint skills that can perform this.

Cons

The product does not receive any updated or expanded features after purchase. It lacks continuing product improvement. Any updates and improvements must be made by the user or require a fee to be developed for you.

Justina from ADOBE

Great Partners!

Our team needed a platform that we could use to provide consistent delivery of capital projects AND the most important aspect was to track the budgets by integrating our SAP data into the tool. Although it has taken a little time to get our partners (GC's, Architects, Other Consultants) to understand the tool and how to use it - it has been worth the investment in time. We now have a tool that both our internal and external partners are familiar with which in turn makes collaboration on a project so much easier. The absolute bonus of using this product is the relationship we have built with the VPO team. They listen to our crazy ideas and find a way to turn them into a reality.

Pros

It was easy to set up and get started. Less than 2 months. Very few IT integration touchpoints, which is what helped to speed up the integration.

Cons

Refresh rate - this is really a Sharepoint issue that gets better with the Modern Page experience.

Reasons for Choosing VPO

We chose to work with this team because they could offer us the flexibility that we needed in a partner. When we told them we wanted to integrate SAP data into Sharepoint and they said of course they could do it - we were sold! This is a company that understands Project Management and Construction Management and what is required from them to make their customers successful. They always continue to innovate, which allows us to the do the same.

Mike from County of Sonoma General Services

Great product!

Pros

The program is very easy to learn & easy to use. Integrates well with other MIcrosoft apps.

Cons

Since I was not in an administrator role on the VPO my range of use was limited.

Reasons for Switching to VPO

Haven’t yet made the switch from Eadoc. Using VPO on a trial basis, provided by our contractor for a project.

Marina from Simplus Management

Valuable Cloud-Based Management Solution

VPO allows me to manage my projects in a streamlined way, providing numerous tools ranging from address books to document tracking to meeting minutes to invoice management. VPO even allows me to directly involve my clients and contractor - making VPO an efficient hub for all parties involved in a project. Being able to track submittals, RFIs, proposals, changes and much more on one simple interface takes the guesswork out of messy e-mail correspondence! With VPO I can efficiently manage my workflows, save time for both myself and my clients and seamlessly share project documents within my office. And, best of all, I can use VPO from home or anywhere with an internet connection!

Pros

VPO has the ability to track every piece of information that I come across during a project. VPO is like my super filing cabinet that keeps me accountable for documents I receive or review and can be an extremely important tool in fighting claims i.e. VPO effectively reduces many risks associated with document control in the construction management field.

Cons

VPO only gives back what you put in. While this is not necessarily a bad thing, having a better knowledge of technology generally defines how effective VPO will be. Those that are "tech-savvy" will have a much easier time adapting to the system than those who are not.

Brianna from KPFF

Awesome software for CM

Workflow of submittals, RFIs, and potential changes is much simpler through VPO and I like having all my documents and reports in a single place for everyone to access.

Pros

This product is the most bang for your buck as far as construction management tools go. It's inexpensive compared to others out there and the best part is it's totally customizable, so it's set up exactly how I want it for maximum ease of use and efficiency on my projects. As a CM group, we need particular workflows and modules for our work that a Contractor or a Developer wouldn't have. It is great to have exactly what I need and want. Other software programs don't have that option and cost a lot more. Also, the support crew is awesome, a shout out to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] because they have been so helpful every step of the way for each specific thing I wanted customized. "No" is never an answer from these guys.

Cons

The only thing that I could possibly complain about is that the setup process up front does take some time. The ability to customize is a double edged sword, because it's really great now that everything is specially tailored for the way I operate, but it did take several set up sessions over a few weeks to get it to that point. The nice thing is that now that I have my template set up how I like it, making new projects is as simple as clicking a few buttons and VPO will create a new project based on my custom project template.

Marlene from Dick Building Company

Construction Use of VPO

Pros

Great place to organize info that makes it accessible for others to use

Cons

It is difficult to delete or move items once you save them.

Company decision

Jeffrey from Nucor Corporation

Industry: Mining & Metals

It's better than nothing . . .

Overall, this platform has helped our organization improve our document control and project management abilities.

Pros

Customer support for VPO is a plus. They are responsive and willing to meet our needs within the construct of the system. The platform serves as a single portal of project information, thus streamlining and improving the overall effectiveness of project management.

Cons

There are limitations to customizing the look and functionality of the system. Mobile interface has opportunity for improvement.

Sean from LGA Partners

The Right-Sized Project Management Software

We use many online project management platforms in our various projects. The VPO interface was intuitive and easy to use, and the support was very helpful.

Pros

The software was easy to use and "right-sized" for the application. Many other project management platforms are enormously complex in order to cover every eventuality or project condition.

Cons

We barely scratched the surface in terms of its functionality, which had more to do with the users and the situation than it did the software itself.

Mark from Morgan Automation Systems Inc.

Life Altering without undue pain and suffering

Morgan has been steadily growing for some time, but recently we have experienced explosive growth. We operate with a small core team that wears many hats at the same time throughout the course of every day. After years of trying to handling everything with a spreadsheet and Emails we realized that it was slow and certain death for all of us. we needed a system that houses all of the pertinent information, tracks issues, tasks, and change orders, actively notifies the team of changes and communicates clearly and concisely.

Pros

I feel that the strongest part of this application is its flexibility and customization. While we are all trying to do the same thing ( execute projects and make money), we all have a different way of getting that done. The bottom line is that success is measured not only in bottom line dollars, but is how hard it is to maintain all of the projects in house, keep a widely diverse and location-ally wide spread team on the same page every minute of every day.

Cons

Flexibility and Customization is a double edged sword. Identifying exactly what you want is difficult when you have never had a system like this. Also learning curve, its hard to learn to do things the easy way when you have had to do them the hard way for so long. the sooner you embrace the system the better it will all go.

Chuck from IEC

Industry: Utilities

Needed it in a hurry

So far we are very pleased with the VPO application. We are reviewing a quote to implement the product internally for our company. I have used other products in this category, but they are no where near as good as VPO. VPO technical support, although virtual, is very responsive.

Pros

Our construction projects were already in progress when our company was hired to perform construction management. Due to a severe time crunch we had to roll out the software as we were customizing it. This is not the normal approach. However, the VPO team was exceptional working with us to get it setup and fully functional in under 2 months. The application will transition to the client when we are finished. The learning curve was easier than expected for our users. The software is comprehensive and very customizable.

Cons

Haven't found anything I would complain about. I will admit that we did not implement all features of the platform. We decided not to use some of the financial features. Some minor issues we have come across are with Microsoft actually (e.g. spell check).

shawn from SCI

Right for use

I was on the front end of this implementation with my company so its evolution over the last 2+ years has been very good in my opinion. Customer service when gremlins show themselves has been on point and the adaptation to or needs for use has been good thus far.

Pros

flexibility in structure and customization, ease of incorporating transfer vehicles such as Harmon.ie, One Note in use is nice.

Reasons for Choosing VPO

this product seemed to be the best option and value for our use at the time of consideration.

Dominick from DeSalvo Enterprises, Inc

VPO provides the user with the ability to have all the project information located in one place with access 24/7

If you are running projects today without a Collaborative Project Management System, you are wasting valuable human resources.

Pros

The biggest pro is the ability of VPO to be customized to work with a company's internal project management and accounting systems, VPO also allows a very good level of security so that people outside the company can only see select information.

Andrew from Eckles Costruction Services

Working with VPO

One convenient site for all of the project files...meaning coordination with critical information is just a matter of logging on and finding the information you need. It clears up missed information through email chains and other past forms of communications.

Pros

After using the software a few times, it was very easy to learn and use. Being an administrator, clients we share our files with had a lot of questions at first. But with understanding the product and having wonderful customer support, VPO has been a great addition to my projects.

Cons

I wish it had a [.pdf] reader (currently Mircosoft Edge), uploader, editor, etc. With being in the construction industry, we deal with many [.pdf] drawings and files.

John from Armand Corporation

Great for Organizing Data and Tracking Progress

VPO has been a major help in keeping track of work orders that are created on a daily basis. It allows the team to see a variety of data with a few clicks as well as keep track of who has the Ball in Court in the work order process

Pros

Extremely helpful in keeping track of work orders and other necessary data tied to the work orders

Cons

Simplification of report creating would be helpful

Brian from University of Pittsburgh

Internet Based - New Product

Keep it simple. In regards to dates - do you ultimately need start and end dates? Or just end dates (because after you end something, you're onto the next phase - correct)? It's an extra step we have to add - and update when schedules slip.

Pros

Could have been linked to my previously created Microsoft account - but for my coworkers and I - a completely different user name was created - simplification is key.

Cons

Every week the software features are changing as they become apparent and applicable. It's internet based and has tendency to be sluggish - when trying to save data via the original procedure. The updated procedure makes it easier to update project data - but selecting cells and moving the window around on the screen are tedious.

Steven from El Sol

Pros

Cons

Occasionally the RFI's would be generated out of sequence, but VPO customer service did correct the issue.

Samantha from Interior Architects

Review of software

Pros

Cons

It would be nice if there was a common link, central base, that allows access to all programs.

Jed from Dick Building Company LLC

VPO Review

Pros

I liked the workflow for RFI's and Submittals.

Cons

Ease of using the directory and adding companies from project to project. No punch list function - would be nice to take picture of deficiency from phone or iPad and download it to VPO hub. Hub would have pre-set locations and responsible subcontractors that are selected when downloading the photo.

Zach from Adobe

Good at some things

My experience with VPO has been great. They always are looking to make things better and make sure we are happy as a customer

Pros

Having software that is customized for us as a company to track our projects with only needed information from our point of view is great!

Cons

User interface can be clunky and not inuitive

annie from Bostwick Design Partnership

Industry: Architecture & Planning

good experience with VPO!

Construction administration was made so much simpler with the owner's request to use VPO. The entire team had access to track work and outstanding tasks which simplified ongoing team meetings. I'd be happy to be a part of another team where VPO was the chosen document control method.

Pros

Simplified document tracking, central repository accessible everyone on the team, easy tracking of to-dos and completed work, email integration

Cons

Mobile access was not as simple as the desktop app.

Richard from Simplus Management Inc.

It is not a difficult software to learn.

Overall this is a great value for the costs and the system much more manageable than the larger systems of this type.

Pros

Cons

The methods for reporting or creating a report is a challenge, but it isn't insurmountable. I have found sometimes it is hard to follow the logic behind the process.

Hunter from McGervey Electric Inc

Very thorough Product

Excellent overall experience, will definitely use going forward.

Pros

The depth of the product make it very useful for most every Project size and complexity.

Cons

Navigating the site can sometimes be challenging.

Don from Cardno

Worth every penny

Pros

Easy to use, navigate, log in to. The search bar is invaluable to me. I love that I can store and sort my documents and grant permission to whoever I want or not grant permission.

Cons

Takes awhile to load but not always an issue. Since I use this program everyday, my response to my questions is that it is on VPO. My client seems to be afraid of going in.

JASVIN from University of Nevada-Las Vegas

Cloud based Exclusive Project management software

Pros

Access of Drawings and Project information for accountable time record and from remote workers to field supervisor, easy to upload work order, customization and track of it, making it life easy.

Cons

Reduce flexibility while using in Different OS, and system itself has repot-making feature which is some of the most redious process to follow.

Dennis from CHM Weatherguard

Growing pains

Pros

The charts and graphs give an overall good summary of current and past conditions.

Cons

Hard to navigate and jump back to a previous screen. Making a lot of changes freezes the system.

Greg from Williamson Shriver Architects

WSA VPO REview

Everything can be handled in one location and we could set it up like our current file structure.

Pros

That everything can be contained within one area and can be access by many with limits access for others.

Cons

Login options. Currently I am a user via someone elses project and also a user for our projects, so i have two different logins. Also, we have a "owner" that will need separate access to multiple projects (not all) , but they won't have the same table option as we have for our proejcts and they may have separate login per project.

William from MacLachlan, Cornelius & Filoni, Inc.

Architect

For what we need ed to use it for it works well.

Pros

I think that it handles the Submittals and RFIs very well. The uploading and attachments for the submittals works well and easily understandable.

Cons

Linking who needs to see the submittals seems to be a bit cumbersome, or at least not readily apparent, particularly if it is someone outside of the team.

Daniel from CHM Weatherguard

4/5

Really good.

Pros

Ease of navigation, speed of uploads, user friendly layout.

Cons

Not able to use special characters in folder titles.

Company decided.

Mitch from Construction

User review

Pros

seems to work fine... not sure what else to say..

Cons

Only Con would be a bit slow some days on updating , when i write a PO or change order

Yvonne from Tri-State Design and Development

Great tool for construction projects

Pros

All involved in a project can see the progression of the work, where there were problems, questions, etc. It is a very useful tool to use when many different entities are involved in the completion of a project.

Cons

Logging into it without having a "ball in your court" is a little tricky at times.

Andrea from Architecture

Great for Connectivity, UI Needs Work

Pros

Easy connectivity across multiple site locations

Cons

A bit cumbersome to use. It's not the most intuitive UI

Ease of use

Pros

Ease of use for team, Excellent e-commerce portal

Cons

The navigation links on top & side confused a bit

Bhupinder from Univerfsity of Pittsburgh

Industry: Commercial Real Estate

VPO review

Pros

VPO gives us information about progress in construction that we did not have earlier. It is easy to use.

Cons

We have come a long way. We still need some information in financial (funded, expanded, committed, balance etc.), change orders so that we can discard JOBS.

Sharon from City of Long Beach

VPO is great--just not on Windows 10

I haven't gone through a project close-out using VPO and I'm curious how all of this documentation will be transmitted to us (the client) for our records.

Pros

It's great to be able to look up all sorts of project documents and not to have to rely on saving attachments from emails. The ball-in-court features are helpful, as are the notifications when something is posted or changes.

Cons

It doesn't work well on Windows 10. Sometimes directories of documents get truncated to just what will fit on a single page, leaving no way to access later documents. Many of the sorting features do not appear to work in Windows 10. Clicking on them doesn't do anything. While many aspects of VPO are intuitive, I did not find editing review comments to be at all obvious. Buttons were not where I expected them to be and someone had to show me where they were so I could add comments.

HANNAH from University of Pittsburgh

VPO has potential to

For software that wants to increase efficiency, there are a lot of small bugs that make it the exact opposite. On a grand scale, I can see this being great, however after the first few interactions I was left more frustrated than impressed. After consulting with a few fellow employees, this seems to be the consensus.

Pros

The accessibility of information is very useful. Though I have not been a user for long, I can see how this would enhance efficiency (when the software is working correctly). Ultimately, it should result in a quicker turn around time.

Cons

The program thus far has not been very user friendly. I, myself, have run into various issues after only using the software for approximately a week. The customer service has been great with addressing our needs, even if not immediately. Simple tasks that would usually take only a few minutes end up taking much longer. For example, copying and pasting multiple emails should take seconds, however with VPO we are restricted to adding emails individually. Another task such as moving documents from one folder to the next was an issue, where VPO would only allow me to move the documents to folders nested within the folder I was trying to extract them from.

Bret from DHP Engineering

Industry: Civil Engineering

Summary

Quick support from staff. I am a user not one who picks actual software. My client is one who picked this software for everyone on the design team to use.

Pros

Option to have access on side or top bar. Ability to create PDF's of responses for filing.

Cons

Bit klunky to learn but once that is done goes well.

Brian from University of Pittsburgh

Industry: Facilities Services

Constantly Changing

I'm not sure i'm solving any problems with it.

Pros

It's constantly reminding me to update passwords when i skip or forget.

Cons

End user, required to use it - It's constantly changing, lacking change notifications (to anticipate or expect variations with each new visit - just guess what's different). Not being able to control size of columns, etc.

Jason from Rose Hills Memorial Park

Good for cost

I am generally happy with it and others can easily find and use through simple storage system.

Pros

I like the online organized storage system

Cons

It can sometimes be a little too simple for my needs.

Melissa from Mel-Rae Inc

VPO easy to use

Overall. . . . this software was pretty simple to use. May need some online videos teaching users some tips

Pros

Easy to use and simple to navigate once I played with it for a while. Would probably become very simple if I used it more.

Cons

I am just not very computer literate so I get frustrated sometimes with software programs I am unfamiliar with and do not use often enough

Cameron from University of Pittsburgh

Amazing Value for the Features

Pros

The user interface has been the best I've used, both functionality and aesthetically.

Cons

Some menus and items take a lot of digging down and multiple clicks to navigate to.

Michelle from University of Pittsburgh

Weekly user of VPO

Pros

It's pretty user friendly and is still a work in progress.

Cons

Partial to box but I understand why the switch was made.

Jennyfer from Rose Hills Memorial Park & Mortuary

VPO Feedback

Pros

That everything can be stored in one place and shared with others

Cons

Functionality and navigation aren't intuitive.

Jason from Hranec

VPO Review

Pros

Website worked well when internet connection was not at a premium.

Cons

Inconvenience of having to use it. Would rather send submittals, RFI's, etc in email format.

greg from Tetra Tech

overall an excellent product

Pros

Its strength is that its very much a focused product on the administration of CM products. we have used other similar products and we prefer VPO.

Cons

Not sure its as ideal for program management (which is why I like it but we have other clients who have chosen other software because they needed a more complicated management tool)

Reasons for Choosing VPO

most straight forward and easy to use.

Jared from Anser Advisory

Quick VPO Review - Construction Management

Pros

It's very flexible, and can be modified to your needs. I have briefly used it as a CM, and I feel like the program we have is very good for what we need it for. The support team is great and they work hard to solve the issue.

Cons

I haven't used it enough to have any cons yet.

Reasons for Switching to VPO

Our previous program was dated, and the company I work for needed new software.

Nicholas from Accel Fire Systems, Inc.

VPO Works

Nice to have all project documentation available in one spot.

Pros

Having everything on your screen at a glance allows for easy access to all project data when you need it.

Cons

Like all project management software, you have to input / upload everything you do if you want it to work best - this means someone has to input everything.......

Stephen from Kinetics

New support ticket - very user-friendly and fast

VPO has proved to be a great team with my Project Controls team. We have developed some complicated tools that are now easy for others to use.

Pros

I liked that I could easily figure out the next step without confusion.

Cons

When it recognizes me, it should auto-fill all the data so I don't have to do it again and again.

Maureen from Lockheed Martin

Partially Compatible

Pros

That it is compatible with SharePoint but not all functionality of sharepoint

Cons

Cannot do some bulk changes - have to don things individually instead of all at once.