What are Trimble Estimation users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Trimble Estimation software through verified user reviews

• icon"Pat, the trainer we had was wonderful. Extremely helpful and will answer any question any time of day, much better than the customer help center."
  • icon"This product offers so many features that are beneficial. Product is fun and easy to use."
  • icon"The Earthwork module does not work easily with CAD files, and some of the automatic features for image files such as the go function do not work properly because they require pristine digital files."
  • icon"Occasionally I have to back out and restart the program, but it could be a user error."
  • icon"The vendors inability to make improvements or even fix bugs or error within the program."

Browse all Trimble Estimation Reviews

• Have you used Trimble Estimation and would like to share your experience with others?

Pedro

Pedro Silva - Bermudez, Longo, Diaz-Masso, LLC

In general we like the product and we hope that it always stays at the forefront of technology for the benefit of all.

Pros

BLDM is one of America’s leading specialty construction companies. We have been 55 years in the market and we are still going. We implemented the software in our Estimating Department more than 20 years ago and since its implementation we have completely trusted it. Given the fact that technology keeps growing , expanding and innovating, we still rely on Viewpoint Software because of its accuracy and feasibility when working on bids, I personally believe that part of our success with the software is based on the full support provided by the technical staff. Always there to help when you need them!

Jim

October 2012

We are a commercial Plumbing Firm specializing in heavy industrial piping, hydronic and water/wastewater treatment plants. We offer in-house design CAD work and dedicated staff. Maxwell is the only estimating software in use at this facility. There are others out there, but thus far, Maxwell appears to be the best value for the dollar. I have worked for two (2) previous plumbing/heating firms, both used Maxwell, although earlier versions. We are currently using Version 9.3.0.2334, Service Pack 3. This was obtained the last time we upgraded - last year, I believe. The upgrade usually goes quickly, a couple hours at most unless issues are encountered. I would have to state that most upgrades have some type of issue that either requires a "patch" or technical support. Customer support is for the most part, excellent - response time(s) could be improved. As with all products, there are some technical support people that are much better than others. I feel that past versions of Maxwell are more concerned w/keeping up with the competition than what the actual users want. My personal opinion is that the Maxwell product is an excellent product for it's purpose - a quick, accurate way to obtain a bid. Just stick with this ideology, and you will be just fine. Trying to make Maxwell into something else is a waste of time and effort. I learned Maxwell some years ago while working for Western Mechanical Service, Inc. - in just a day or two I was up and running. I have trained a number of personnel over the years - the same can be said today. If anything, Maxwell is a little more straightforward and easier to use than back in 2001. For the most part, customer support is excellent. As with any product, there are some support staff that are more knowledgeable than others. There have been issues that have taken more time to address than others - however, if one is willing to work together the problems can be solved. One particular issue that was causing us "section corrupted" errors was solved by virtue of just watching how the program responded and was finally traced to the copying of "takeoff notes"; once this practice was eliminated, the "corruption" issue disappeared. I was instrumental in this discovery and was happy to help in this regard. Since the offering of On-Screen Takeoff, quick, accurate takeoff's can be done w/o hard-copy drawings. There are situations where this is most advantageous, as some projects require a "quick-turn" to achieve the bid in time. Although "phantom" pick points still plague OST, it is still a viable option in these situations or when printas are "unscaled" or hard copy prints are not feasable.

Brandi

To many steps to do a simple task.

We purchased in August and were unable to go to the training until December, they would not even let us download the program until we did the training and they rebill us every August instead of when we were able to start using it. When I called to ask if they could change our billing date to when we were able to start using the program I was told I was basically a liar and that there was no way we were unable to use their program from the beginning time of purchase.

Pros

This program can do a lot...If you have a degree in computer engineering. It is faster than trying to do a take off by hand. Pat, the trainer we had was wonderful ! Extremely helpful and will answer any question any time of day, much better than the customer help center.

Cons

The program is quite pricey, add to that more money for training that is incomplete for the amount of information that is needed to run this program. The sales person we had was nice but extremely pushy. Customer service after purchase is terrible.

Richie

Viewpoint MEP Software

Customer service agent has been a great asset to us in upgrading our software and purchasing other systems. We would highly recommend her as an account manager.

Pros

Our offices have been using Viewpoint MEP estimation for Electrical for quite some time now. We rely on this system to quickly, and accurately complete bids. This software has taken us to the next level, and we have used it for multi-million dollar jobs. Without this software we would not be able to complete the amount of work we do daily at our four locations.

Cons

Issues arise just like with any software, but the support team is quick to respond and prompt at fixing the issue.

Marvin

Is "ViewPoint" for you?

Pros

If you already have their other software then the right option would be to go and get this one. Just like what the sales person will say to you that you can track your rewards(profit), perform correct takeoffs and submit on time. All of those things are true to a certain point.

Cons

The person that does the sales at times can seem pushy and want for you to go ahead and purchase right there and now. That is not the right way on dealing with something like this. Especially when there is a lot of money going into this. The takeoff bids are not at all accurate. At times you have to make the final corrections. Yes, there is a support team that will help you out. The other item about this is that the cost of training is even more money. You either have to go to them or they come to you and there is just not enough time for getting the right amount of training. They should lower the that cost to make it even better.

Jeff

March 2012

We are a mid-sized Plumbing/Mechanical contractor. Our focus, for many years, has been on single and multi-unit residential with some small to mid-size commercial projects. Yearly sales for our organization run in the 5-8 million dollar range. Maxwell Systems Estimation has allowed us to use the skills of our workforce to move up to higher dollar projects. These now comprise of multi story office buildings, schools, medical buildings as well as sewer and water treatment plants. Rut works so much better with the estimation system takeoff. It is a breeze to use, and the reward is that the project manager can effectively manage the project with ease. Estimation has also made the process of bidding the sizes of jobs we do faster and more consistent from job to job, which makes it easier to track costs. Want to know what your material and labor cost are per floor on a project? Estimation can do it! How about by floor - just the sanitary piping? Estimation can do it! I have seldom had any problems but in the rare instances I have, support has been quick to respond as well as very knowledgeable. Also, on the support side, they have a great group of trainers to help you really understand the ins and outs of the program. However, the single greatest thing that made me chose Maxwell Systems Estimation is that it is totally customizable by the user. The database can be configured to suit any situation and the owner of the program can do it all. This customization allows you to even add to an estimate; all those little things that you usually figure out in your head and then tack on to your proposal at the end. This enables the program to do the entire math and takes out the possibility of human error. All you have to do is remember to enter it in. Their ability to do our take off digitally saves us countless hours and reams of paper. I would highly recommend purchasing Maxwell Systems Estimation software.

October 2012

Rossi Electric has been using the electrical Estimation software for the past 13 years. The ease of the software for personal to learn and use aids in doing a takeoff quick and accurate. The electrical Estimation software can be tailor to fit your companies need. This can be achieved by the way the software can be configured from adding items as you go thru your takeoff. Or by the way you can set up the takeoff cards by making your own assemblies and adding them to the many that are already in the software. If you get stuck on how an item can be added or a technical glitch that might pop up, the help desk is there to aid you. They are just a phone call away, and always very happy to help you. The trade show that Maxwell puts on every year is also a great tool to learn about the software and to meet other user. This also helps you to learn more about the software by the way other people use the system. The trade show also allows you to meet and talk with the people who are behind the developing and programming of the software. People like Heather Messick who will sit there and listen to your ideas on how to improve the software. Or on what really doesn’t work well within the software. The ideas you talk about won’t be put off, she works really hard on ides that make sense, and not just poufs them off. All in all Estimation for electrical is a great software to learn and to use. It will make your takeoff’s go smother and faster. The faster you get a bid out the more you can do making your chances better at getting more jobs.

Scott

Excellent Product.

Keep up the good work

Pros

User friendly. Works very well. I log onto it every morning and work with it all day every day. Awesome product. Mary Heinz is FABULOUS

Cons

Have no problems with it. Even if I did have a problem with Viewpoint it would be taken care of promptly and professionally

Hugo

Greatest Estimation Software Company! I highly recommend them!

Pros

The Software just works!! It sounds so simple, I know, but it's true! We had been through 2 other estimation softwares before ViewPoint and they were laggy, badly built and the support stunk! ViewPoint is the complete opposite. The support is fantastic and their trainers come in and actually care that you learn the software and you learn it well. I've never dealt with better trainers or a more knowledgeable group of technical support specialist. These guys are awesome!

Cons

I can't name a single downside about ViewPoint MEP Estimating. You get a lot of bang for your buck! It's not cheap but it's definitely an investment worth making for you and your company!

Jay

October 2012

We're a long time Maxwell Systems Estimation user. Started our partnership with Maxwell in 1993. We decided in early 90's we needed to rethink computerized estimating so started shopping again. Looked at all the major players and decided Maxwell had the best product that would work well with our way of estimating and more imprtantly, felt like Maxwell had a real focus of listening to the customer about what they wanted/needed. Felt like Maxwell would be a real long term partner as computerized estimating matured. So we started down the road with 3 stations doing mechanical piping. Over the years we made many recommendations to Maxwell which they listening to and incorporated. We grew to 6 mechanical piping and 2 sheet metal stations. So over these last almost twenty years, we still view Maxwell as the best product out there. Even now, we still get called by new systems out on the market. But even after looking at them, Maxwell still meets our needs better than anyone else. In this day & age, it's hard to find someone who you're still a partner with after 20 years. Maxwell's commitment to their customers, listening, responding, partnering, having some of the best programmers & trainers around, having quality knowledgeable people to support you, great customer representation with all that ending in a great product has helped us be successful in what we do- win work and make profit.

Doug

October 2012

We are a third generation plumbing company that has struggled through this economy like everyone. Making good financial decisions is key too not only surviving but also, staying on top. Maxwell Estimation has been a big part of that strategy. We were utilizing another takeoff system that wasn’t user friendly and required more training than we felt should be necessary to utilize a system. It seemed to take longer than writing it out by hand. We switched in 2009 to Estimation with the digital takeoff feature. Digital takeoff allowed us to reduce the amount of plans we produced and enabled me to send my digital takeoff to our engineer, client, and suppliers. This one feature has reduced the time necessary to explain our intent and design. Once we installed the system it didn’t take long to get up and running. Very user friendly, and with the benefit of the online video instruction I can enhance my understating of the system at my leisure. For us the system is fairly trouble free but, when I needed help, the support team was there. Occasionally, I receive a call from the support team asking how things are going or if I need additional training and could they set up a training date for me. I update our estimation date base weekly through a separate service that keeps our pricing up to date. Never lagging behind in the market is important. I usually see the updated price before our suppliers get a chance to inform me. In the end, I get a report that is current and more detailed than I ever was without Estimation, right down to nuts and washers.

Frank

October 2015

Long time user of the electrical estimating software

Pros

Viewpoint regularly engages its users to monitor their satisfaction with the product. The support team is willing to assist with any issues that develop and show a true willingness to help. The product is highly specified for the trades and is very comprehensive.

Cons

At times, we would like to be able to an interface with Microsoft products such as Excel. The telecommunications takeoff section needs to be expanded.

William

October 2012

We are using Estimation Logistics Version 4.5.1. I know we should upgrade to 9.x but I haven't been able to find the time in our bid schedule. I suspect we will upgrade soon. This program was in use here when I got here in 2005. The company that I worked for previously also had Estimation Logistics so the transition for me was seamless. We don't use customer support much anymore; I can usually figure out what I need to, but do get stumped occasionally. I will say that customer support was excellent when I was implementing. But I am not as pleased with it as I used to be. In the "old days" the support personnel would talk you through any issues, so you would learn what to do in certain situations when they arose. Now it seems we just go to webex and support fixes the problem while I watch, but afterwards I didn't learn anything. I don't know after all these years if I would be able to do an estimate the old fashioned way with a scale, pencil, and paper. We have come to rely so much on the computer that the old skills atrophy. One final word: for an old dog like me using digital take off on the computer screen is a non starter. People must be getting better quality plans than we are here in the Northeast, because I would never be able to do take off without my paper plans and digitizer board.

Ronnie

September 2015

Viewpoint Estimation Is Electrical Estimating On Steroids.

Pros

This product offers so many features that are beneficial. Product is fun and easy to use. Takes the majority of the human factor out of the bid. Less computing mistakes. Speedy and accurate takeoffs. Easy pricing updates. Viewpoint Customer Support is made up of friendly knowledgeable team members which are eager to assist.

Cons

Really? Hmmm, nothing. Seriously, this product is amazing!

Ian

October 2012

We are a mid-size commercial MEP company. We have seen better days in terms of workload and we have had to try to find ways to stay viable in this ever-changing economy. One way in which we have tried to do that is by saving time across multiple workflows. We had Maxwell Systems Estimation up and running in our electrical department with success and wanted to utilize this resource with mechanical as well. Already we are seeing positive results in terms of time savings and sustainable data being delivered by our new Estimation software. We are using Digital Takeoff and it is amazing how much faster I can produce versus traditional spreadsheet data entry. Implementing this system was a breeze thanks to our Account Manager, Mary Heinz, and the support team. Since then I have learned a lot on my own through the easy-to-use, intuitive interface as well as through short online training sessions that were made available. Customer support has been available when I need them and Mary has gone above and beyond in regards all things Maxwell Systems. It's easy to see already that this solution for our estimating department will save us much in time and money moving forward. I look forward to learning more, and really get this software working for us.

Henry

November 2012

We are a mid size HVAC contractor and have been in business for 30 years. I took over the estimating for the company about 2 years ago after the owner retired. Our focus is mainly in the educational, medical, religous and correctional facilities. With Maxwell System Estimation program I can take off a job in a fraction of the time it use to take. Bids are more accurate because not only is most items a simple point to point take off, it also takes off all the small incidental components automatically, things I would usually overlook in the process. I like being able to seperate labor cost of different aspects of a job in layers because that has helped our company spot problem areas and adjust accordingly. Estimation is definately a powerful, top notch take-off program, but the great support after the sale is the icing on the cake. They have always been quick to respond whenever I needed help with a very knowledgeable staff. And many thanks to our account manager, Mary Heinz, for the frequent check-ups, to make sure all is well and to make sure we are current, or that we are aware of new features available. I would definately recommend Maxwell System Estimation to anyone looking to speed up their estimation process.

Steve

October 2012

We have been using Estimation software for our plumbing & HVAC estimating for almost 20 years. Over the years, Estimation has continued to fine tune the program keeping up with ever changing computer and operating system improvements. Each upgrade to the program has installed seamlessly and we have never lost important information from previously bid projects. New versions are stress-free with a very short learning curve, building on previous versions of the program. We have been very happy with the ease of use, the ability to customize the bidding process for our business, material pricing updates and its multiple data base ability. With options to separate bids by addendum, alternate bid, take-off by floor, building sections and other project disciplines, Estimation gives us the ability to bid and manage more work with less energy and estimators. Every project we bid from small service jobs to multi-million dollar ventures are estimated with our system. After getting the job, multiple reports can be generated for project management, foreman, project buy-out and warehouse material pulls. Without a doubt, I would recommend Estimation to any mechanical contractor, except, of course, to our competitors.

Theresa

October 2012

Daniel’s Electric began using the Estimation Program over 20 years (not sure of the exact date). I have been using the Maxwell Systems Logistics Program for the last 14 years. Currently using Verion 9.4. Logistics is user friendly and fairly easy to learn and operate. Logistics has been easy to customize, with the ability to build our own assemblies or modifying the "pre-built" assemblies making the take-off process easier to adapt to all kind of projects; which has saved me a lot of time in the estimating process. I utilize a digitizer in conjunction with Logistics which increases the accuracy of the takeoff, as well as reducing the time spent on the takeoff. Customer Support has been wonderful; most of my problems have been due to my own “operator errors” and not problems with the Program. I have attended a couple User Conferences and they are very worthwhile to go to. Gave me opportunities to speak directly with the Programmers to get hints & shortcuts as well as learn more about the Program. Also gives a chance to talk to other users and exchange information & ideas. I have recommended the Program to others in my field several times through the years.

Tony

October 2012

I am a mechanical contractor and have been in business for near 30 years. I've done everything the old-school way until last January (2012). It used to take me several weeks to bid a job. Sometimes with great success. Sometimes, I'd miss key items because I'd forget to write them down. Maxwell's system has eliminated the guess work from the equation. Mary Heinz is my account rep and she has kept me up to date with the changes to the software and trying to get me to update as soon as it becomes available. I'd have to give her a rating of 10 out of 10. EXTREMELY HAPPY with the software. All I need to do now is teach my brother how to use it. He can hardly turn on the copier without some help. Anyone purchasing this software, TAKE THE COURSE AS SOON AS YOU GET THE PROGRAM. You will not regret buying this at twice the price. I can now do the typical one week estimate in one day without the mistakes. It has helped my business move forward and win multi-million dollar contracts that I could not get close to before. And YES, I am making money. BUY IT. You will be surprised how easy it is to use and make more money with a truly accurate bid. Thanks, Mary

October 2012

GS Hydro is a supplier of non-welded hydraulic piping systems to the petroleum, marine and industrial sectors. We needed an estimating system that would allow us to build a database of some 8,000 GS Hydro part numbers and provide detailed estimates to our sales group. Prior to installing Maxwell we used an Excel model to estimate item quantities and roll up the cost numbers. We currently use the Mechanical Estimation software with the Digital Takeoff feature. Since we could not take advantage of the data book provided by Maxwell our implementation probably took a little longer than average. However, once the data book was completed the implementation went very well. We selected one GSH employee to attend Maxwell classroom training who in turn passed on the knowledge gained from the Maxwell classroom. The Maxwell customer support has been great, offering prompt answers to our problems. The main benefit we received from Maxwell is the ability to take a customer drawing and plot out the specific lengths of pipe and related products required without having to build a manual bill of material list. This saved us considerable time when building the project estimate.

Craig

October 2012

Taunt Electric started electronic estimating with Trade Service, Estimation bought out Trade Service and we have been there ever since. Starting out with version 5. Estimation has turned the estimating software into what it is today with our version 9.1. the building of assemblies, and able to adapt to the several field we work in, Healthcare, water and wast water treatment, industrial energy generation, plus everday commercial projects. The ease of able to change the scale, the multiplyer for several conduit run or fixtures. We use a digitiser for our take off and links to our computer for count and take off. The use of summary to edit pricing and labor units. The summary can be run with discounts, NECA labor units, quote master for a quick print out for suppliers. Once in bid summary, labor rates, tax markup, quotes, sub-contractors are ath this page plus summary is available. I personnaly enjoy the program and saved us hours of entries for material. We update every week with Trade Service. The one thing users need to be concerned about is " if there is a problem". The help desk has always been there for us, at one time for even on a weekend

Jeff

December 2015

Viewpoint Electrical Estimating

Pros

The structure of the program allows you to easily perform your take-off and is flexible to help you fine tune the estimate once it's complete.

Cons

There's one minor issue when you are using the digital take-off. Sometimes when you're doing take-off on the digital screen, it 'loses' that take-off when you move over to the take-off screen to enter it into the estimate.

Eddie

May 2012

We at Maddux Electric Company Inc. have seen many changes in our industry over the past 32 years. One of the most exciting would be the Technology we have at hand today. When we first started using Estimations in the early 1990s we never thought this type of tool would become something we could not do without. As the industry changed, so did the technology and Maxwell Systems has kept up with that change. They have the most user-friendly products we have seen in the market place, training our estimators has been a snap. With digital takeoff and dual screens our ratio of job takeoffs have increased 2:1, a lot more accurate, more detailed and user friendly for our Project Managers and superintendents. Maxwell Systems complete staff has always been there when an issue was to come up or if we just have an inquiry about how to do something. Also our account Manager, Mary Heinz, is always staying in touch with us to see how they can help us or if there is something they need to look in to that might help the industry. I would highly recommend this system to any Electrical Contractor.

Troy

December 2015

Electrical Estimating software review.

Pros

Very easy to use and very accurate. We depend exclusively on this software to obtain high end jobs.

Cons

Occasionally I have to back out and restart the program, but it could be a user error....

Wally

October 2015

Project Manager/Estimator

Pros

It keeps me organized, my estimates are accurate and it's fast. When I need help Viewpoint is just a phone call away.

Cons

I deal with a lot of vendors daily, Viewpoint is the least of my worries.

Trimble Estimation