Browse Bitrise Reviews

Sven from whisp GmbH

Best CI for mobile apps by far

For mobile developers bitrise is a dream come true. With their focus on mobile they take out all the hassle from the setup process so that even users new to CI should find it easy to setup up their app with bitrise. Paired with the many predefined and community-provided steps there are very few use cases which can't be covered by bitrise workflows. And if you happen to hit a roadblock their team will aid via Slack or forum. I have used bitrise on all mobile projects across multiple companies for over three years and never looked back to high maintenance self-hosted solutions like Jenkins. I'll wholeheartedly recommend it to every mobile developer I meet.

Pros

- extremely customizable - supports yaml for configuration - super friendly team overall, very developer friendly specifically - support via Slack and forum - generous free plan and fair and simple plans overall - support open source and contributors - huge steps library which you can use as building blocks for your build workflow - anyone can contribute workflow steps - good documentation - SSH onto build machines for debugging - initial setup just takes a few minutes and is highly automated - lots of free open source apps for monitoring bitrise on desktop and mobile - high availability - hosted in the cloud -> no maintenance - supports iOS and Android native as well as flutter and react native

Cons

- storing the configuration in your repository is a hassle and comes with several drawbacks, unfortunate as this would be my preferred way to do config - workflow management can be cumbersome at times - workflows could be a tad more flexible - webapp sometimes could load faster - API could be more extensive (e.g. they don't have any user login endpoints as of now) - iOS builds could be faster

Reasons for Choosing Bitrise

- out-of-the-box support for both iOS and Android - geared towards mobile - simple to setup, but still very flexible - supportive community and team

Reasons for Switching to Bitrise

Mainly high maintenance efforts.

Kyle from Ends of Invention (Pty) Ltd

Changed our Clients' Businesses

Bitrise totally revolutionised my clients' workflows. We do testing releases daily because the overhead of uploads & App Store/Google Play submission is all but eliminated. Especially for multi-flavour or multi-target projects, it is absolutely indispensable.

Pros

Reliable, mobile-focused build automation: it is easy to set up, highly reliable, provides the technical depth needed for extremely customised builds & is intuitive.

Cons

In some cross-platform projects using Ionic or React Native, it's easy to get to the build time limit & the pricing tiers ratchet up quite a lot when you get to the levels necessary to support that. That being said, the system more than pays for itself every month.

Reasons for Choosing Bitrise

I found other CI products to be insufficiently focused on mobile development, unreliable & cumbersome.

It helped us streamline our DevOps

Pros

The Build Log feature made the team really organized and in the loop about what to build next and which task to prioritize. It's always feels Meta to talk about software helps you build other softwares but I am sure that your DevOps will be streamlined with Bitrise.

Cons

The lack of Deployment Management, API and Approval Workflow.

Adam from Chatwork Inc.

Industry: Program Development

The best CI tool I have ever used

We are automizing all of our mobile services with Bitrise and the process could not have gone smoother. Way easier and more fun than the competitors.

Pros

GUI workflows that have easy to add/setup steps, links with most major services and business chats easily, can set a custom stack for each workflow, the UI/UX is really intuitive and constantly improving.

Cons

The build machines are a little weak but at the price I cannot complain

Reasons for Choosing Bitrise

Because the overall user experience and ease of use was miles ahead at a much better price.

Menno from Curato

Industry: Information Services

Ease of use++

I really enjoy working with Bitrise. It makes my day to day job more fun and a lot more streamlined.

Pros

Bitrise is very easy to setup especially when projects contain a Fastlane configuration. It has a nice style to it and great support for advanced questions turned out to be available at the click of a floating action button.

Cons

Pricing change for organisation's versus developers may be a bit steep for tiny startups.

Reasons for Choosing Bitrise

Ease of use + recommendation from a well respected developer.

A dream for mobile CI/CD

Bitrise has helped us simplify our mobile development process, keeping the builds and deployments to app stores easy without relying on dedicated, on-site hardware.

Pros

Bitrise has completely solved our CI/CD needs for mobile app development, taking any complexity away and replacing it with easy to understand, repeatable pipelines that can be understood by any of the team. It was quick and easy to set up, get people on board and a tool we can now rely on.

Cons

Still a young platform, so things are sometimes a little shaky or slow.

Reasons for Choosing Bitrise

Bitrise's ease of use combined with complete flexibility , letting us simply customize our workflow to our exact needs.

Phanit from Change Financial Ltd.

Easy to setup CI/CD

Overall, I had a great experience with Bitrise. I didn't have CI/CD experience before this, but their UI is very intuitive and I was able to easily hook up Bitrise to my repositories and set up my applications for continuous integration. I was able to add the necessary artifacts and configure the CI/CD. Overall, very positive experience with Bitrise.

Pros

The workflow is easy to set up. Nice live view of the apps being built. I can add multiple apps, and see where your build is in the process. I can modify workflow with intuitive UI. I can easily connect Bitrise to my Bitbucket and Github pages and when I make a commit, I can configure Bitrise to run my tests, make my builds. I save a lot of time to let Bitrise do the work that would take a long time to do manually (including archiving the app).

Cons

Bitrise already has a pretty generous allowance for their free tier (Hobby Plan). It lets your play with Bitrise before committing to a paid plan. Maybe it can give more builds and longer build time on their hobby (free) plan.

Reasons for Choosing Bitrise

Their UI seems most easy to use and set up.

Michael from OLMeRO AG

Quality of Life Improvement...at least at work

Spent a lot if hours (days, weeks, months, ...) with CI just to get it to run. Used Bamboo, Jenkins, CircleCI and right before switch to Bitrise Gitlab CI. Thanks to Fastlane it was getting way easier but not as easy to setup as with Bitrise. Requirement for us was to move it to the cloud and well, that is just about it. Moved now to Bitrise, worked within an hour and now everyones happy. We plan to take more advantage of some of the features offered soon, looking forward to it. For now though, got different workflows running for our branches and no real problems so far. All failed builds were my fault so far :)

Pros

-Tailored to the need of mobile developers. Less hacks necessary. -Fast Support, helpful with Setup as well if needed -Price sounds high but well...not really. You get a lot for that :) -Fast reaction to new beta releases from Apple

Cons

-Did not find it sooner Thats about it. Sure, got some wishes but i am optimistic that those would be handled fast once requested. Not missing anything for daily work.

Chris from Jobber

Amazing replacement for Buddybuild and AppCentre

Excellent experience! We had been looking for an alternative for building our iOS and Android app as we weren't happy with BuddyBuild and AppCentre, and with BuddyBuild dying quite soon, we found bitrise and are very happy with it so far!

Pros

Loved the incredibly easy workflow builder experience, which meant I was able to just choose what things I wanted to happen, and not have to fuss around with a bunch of yaml files and commit every change to see what's happening. Incredibly easy to debug your workflow as well, as you get very verbose information about what's actually going on! Also, very easy to setup a project, as they're smart enough to know what are good sensible defaults are for different types of native projects. This meant that once we imported our project from github, we were up and running in minutes, and just had to tweak some specific functions that we'd like to do!

Cons

Default experience was a bit slow, but after talking to their support, it does seem like there's ways to speed up our builds.

Reasons for Choosing Bitrise

Seemed like the best overall product!

Reasons for Switching to Bitrise

BuddyBuild is being shut down, and we weren't happy with our experience from AppCentre.

Dave from 3Advance

Awesomeness! CI/CD Made Simple

Great overall! Docs are pretty simple to comprehend too!

Pros

How simple it is to wire up your mobile apps with this CI/CD platform. I'm really glad my tech lead introduced us to this platform, especially since we migrated from a platform that wasn't as mobile app friendly. For instance (and coming from an Android-client background), it's simple to run Gradle tasks to automate the builds to the point where it's easy to deploy it to the Play Store. Also, I love how easy it is to integrate UI and unit tests for each build workflow!

Cons

Coming from an Android-client background (and I'm not sure if it's our iOS engineers that could write the scripts better), but the iOS builds usually take two times longer than Android's. I was told particularly that the reason for that was due to it running on "Mac boxes" or something like that, and also because it's the Apple ecosystem after all. Either way, I'd like to see faster builds for iOS, if possible!

Milen from Elders

The most amazing CI/CD platform

As overall, Bitrise is the best platform i've managed to find for mobile CI/CD. 2 years ago, i've got the chance to do a deep research about cloud based CI/CD mobile solutions. I've came across several solutions and personally tried them all. Bitrise was the best one, giving enough flexibility to fit almost all use cases we had. With time it prove that it had a great support and was evolving and following all up to date technologies. Even that it has a little bit longer learning curve, it proves that it is worth it to spend all the time you can to understand and make use of all of its powerful features that it can provide. I can honestly recommend it to anyone with all my hands, legs, hearth .... I've managed to win an internal company competition with ease, about comparing and choosing cloud based CI/CD platforms, which prove to a lot of peoples that this is THE platform for mobile based CI/CD solutions. And even more - it has the capability and flexibility to go beyond mobile. I'm looking forward to see how it will continue to evolve and the short and long future and hope to see it step into other platforms and crash the competition with ease.

Pros

+ the overall flexibility + the rich steps library + the ability to contribute to the steps + the ability to create your own step (haven't done this yet, but will definitely look into it in case i don't find what i need) + the amazing and fast blazing support + the competence of the support + the support for open source projects

Cons

- it requires some effort to initially get into and understand how workflows and steps works - newcomers i've worked with, find learning the platform and understanding how to setup workflows, somehow difficult, but with enough time, they get used to it. I would rather blame the peoples, rather than the tools, because its like you get a powerful sport card, without even knowing how to drive :)

Victor from Bamboo

Best CI tool

Here is a list of issues we could solve with Bitrise: - Releasing new updates without using our machines. The team helped us with code signing and auto sending builds to the App Store Connect. - Automatic builds running on different workflows with custom triggers - Unit testing before merging branches - Automated UI tests with reports

Pros

Bitrise helps us using automated builds with different workflows whether we want to create a new release or run some tests before merging. The scheduled builds allow us to run UI tests nightly which is very useful. They also have excellent customer support :)

Cons

Sometimes it can take a while to get a build running but it's part of the CI integration ;-)

Reasons for Choosing Bitrise

Easy of use, price & customer support

Alexander from ChargePoint

Bitrise: A godsend for iOS CI/CD

With a small development team, our company was looking for ways to increase engineering productivity and CI/CD was a place where a lot of dev cycles were being spent. Bitrise allowed us to offload what could've been a sink of time dealing with security updates, ensuring macOS systems were up late at night for our team in India, etc. It also allowed for us to create new automated workflows easily that would've taken engineering significant amounts of time to achieve (such as Slack command initiated builds on CI/CD & Slack alerting).

Pros

+Open source & detailed documentation that allowed for our engineers to make custom integrations that served our purposes (nightly builds, Slack command triggered marketing screenshot automation, automated localization upload from source, etc.) +Architecture of Bitrise CLI with Bitrise SaaS platform makes it easy for our engineers to reason about what's going on in Bitrise's servers & test proposed workflow changes on their local machines. +Simple, but incredibly detailed tools for iOS provisioning & code signing. Anyone who has had to deal with iOS code signing with Travis & CircleCI knows the struggle.

Cons

-Lack of email notification customization. As a larger org with engineers & management from various departments all wanting to have access to certain builds, certain workflows, etc, we quickly found that many people needed access but didn't want email notifications but there were no controls on the user-level to disable this, just the big app-level controls.

Julio from PushStart

Industry: Computer Games

The more flexible build platform

We've used Bitrise for CI and CD in our team for years.

Pros

Bitrise offers Mac, Linux and custom docker environments. It has various ready to use build steps and a very intuitive editor for your build scripts. The price is very fair when comparing to other solutions

Cons

Managing build and projects might be harder than it should, since there is no API for creating projects.

Shane from GameSheet Inc.

THE Must Have Tool for iOS Dev

Over the weekend, while on vacation, I was able to manage a full release cycle of our iPad app from testing, to staging, to production, all from my iPad. This was made possible entirely by Bitbucket. It's just an awesome product that is a joy to use.

Pros

- Ease of setup - Endlessly configurable workflows - Integration with all the tools we use (GitLab, Slack, ... ) - Always up-to-date stacks for building - Great support team - Helpful documentation and support resources - Great logs for debugging failed builds

Cons

Builds could be a little faster (I think).

Reasons for Switching to Bitrise

Building all our releases locally was a real pain. We often fought with differences in environment depending on who did the coding vs who did the build, there was no transparency to the build process, whoever was releasing had to be at their computer ... etc.

Corey from Under Armour

One of the best mobile continuous integration services out there!

We use Bitrise at Under Armour to consolidate the plethora of build infrastructure we had scattered across all of the different teams. By moving everything to a single platform, we're able to share knowledge and insights to help better each other. We now build products more consistently, and we've increased our productivity levels immensely by not worrying about build system infrastructure.

Pros

Bitrise is super simple to set up. Since it's focused on mobile continuous integration, the tooling and support they have make it really easy to configure workflows and install tooling that's needed for iOS and Android.

Cons

The hobby tier unfortunately is a bit difficult to take advantage of, with how long builds often take with iOS and Android. If the time were increased for free projects by a small amount, this would make it more viable to use for beginning developers (or people just working on tiny things in their spare time).

Lucas from docu Tools

CI for human beings

Pros

Straightforward and beautiful interface

Cons

Logs sometimes take some time to load and the interface gets laggy.

Eric from Heetch

A powerful plug & play CI solution focused on mobile needs

This is AFAIK the best tool out there for mobile CI needs. The rest of our company uses a different solution for the other apps, but Bitrise covers our needs so well that we got no incentive to move to anything else

Pros

Ease of use. you can plug your repo in a couple minutes, then just start defining simple workflows in less than that. It's very solid/reliable, yet with enough flexibility to cover pretty much all your needs.

Cons

I guess the error reporting could get some more love, but you got access to the output of the command and that's what really matters. I'd love to see additional options, like a private maven repo for your artifacts.

Great CI/CD for react-native apps

Works well as CI/CD for react-native apps. Due to high customizability you can use it for your backend as well. We build docker images and deploy to aws thanks to custom bash scripts, as a result we don't have to use multiple CI/CD platforms.

Pros

- highly customizable, you can run any bash script and even use your own docker image for build environment - supports monorepos using selective builds by path - many integrations out of the box

Cons

- Because of high customizability it takes more time to setup then appcenter - iOS automatic codesigning isn't ideal. Autoprovision step didn't regenerate provision profiles when new device was added and it didn't generate development profile when new capability was added causing build to fail. However you can use manual codesigning or fastlane match if you please.

Atsushi from Fuller, Inc.

Simple & customizable CI / CD

Automatic test - Just push PUSH to Github and it will run the test automatically, so the quality has improved without spending time

Pros

Ease of customization - It is possible to add, delete and change steps on GUI - A wealth of standard step functions - I can also prepare your own step by script - Can edit steps on code with yml (Easy to deploy on other projects!)

Cons

Run multiple workflows - I want to execute multiple workflows with one trigger, but the setting is difficult (if the workflow gets longer, it will take longer and it will also be difficult to change the workflow)

Nicolas from DigBang

Bitrise works

Basically I build mobile and react-native apps. I love the "steps workflow" editor and the way we (me and my team) can edit and manage credentials. This is more than a CI.

Pros

Builds app it's super easy, you can manage to connect app center, app store connect, google play store, slack and even more. I found Bitrise super useful in my daily basis.

Cons

The only thing that bothers me about Bitrise is the free trial. Machine are super slow. A single build can take up to 20 minutes, but I use Org Standard and that works like a charm.

Response from Bitrise

Replied May 2019

"This is more than a CI" - Your quote just made the rounds around the office. Thanks! The machines on Org Standard are actually the exact same as the ones on the free trial, but we've upgraded that hardware quite recently. That might explain the difference in experience there. As far as the free hobby plan goes, we're actually looking to make some changes there soon. Happy to hear you're happy, though!

Alexander from Savl GmbH

Bitrise is at least one of the best solutions on the market

We are using Bitrise as remote builder and uploader for iOS installation packages (ipa) and it is quite satisfying. Not sure what can I add as the product is good for needs we have. Just try it to make your own opinion if you have doubts

Pros

It is customizable and relatively easy to use product both as builer for installation packages and as sotfware. It also has intuitive web interface which can be easily accessible from mobile device which is convenient

Cons

That is easy, but not unexpected, the price. We that it is a bit over than it could have been, but Elite package is Elite package, right?)

Pablo Isidoro from Calvium Ltd.

Bitrise and react native

Easy to use CI service for multiple projects

Pros

- Easy to setup thanks to starter workflows - Allows to reuse workflows easily - Good tutorials

Cons

- Lack of stack customisation - Slow compilation times

Reasons for Choosing Bitrise

Combination of price and features

Adrien from Appaloosa

Best tool against iOS build nightmares

Love it

Pros

We chose Bitrise 3 yeas ago for our iOS builds and have never looked back. Maintaining the iOS build stack is a cumbersome task and Bitrise made it some much more simple! They also have a great support, really fast and always to the point. You can choose them without a second thought

Cons

Nothing particular in mind, I am not the onde using it daily now

Jesse from Snap Send Solve

Quick, convenient and user friendly CI/CD

We’re using Bitrise to speed up our build, test and delivery pipeline from much older CI systems. As a developer with a lot of experience with older, significantly gorier systems Bitrise gives me the flexibility to do complex build tasks within an easy to use, testable interface.

Pros

Super clean user interface, out of the box build features that take weeks to implement in older systems. Convenient plugins for iOS and Android, as well as super easy deployment for adhoc and production builds.

Cons

Can’t really fault it yet! Really satisfied with the product so far.

Payman from Bestmile

CI for Mobile apps in a breeze

We have mobile apps on Android and iOS and Bitrise is our solution of CI for: - Running tests (Unit, UI) - Building and deploying apps

Pros

- Bitrise focused on mobile apps. - Bitrise supports iOS and Android - Bitrise has a good customer support - Bitrise provides "free" device testing - Bitrise has tons of steps and addons (such as Fastlane support which we use in almost all our workflows)

Cons

Sometimes the support can take up quite some time. However, it has always been helpful and unblocked me :)

Ognjen from codecentric

Bitrise saves time... bitrise is love

We are doing rapid prototyping and bitrise is building our apps daily so it helps us to have fast feedback cycles with our users.

Pros

Bitrise is just simple to use and its all I ever imagined and wanted from a service like this. Few clicks and you have your builds working and sending slack messages with new builds.

Cons

Can't remember anything important... all problems I had whare easily fixed and we were supported by bitrise in all those problems..

Giacomo from Technogym

Easy to use, highly customizable CI/CD platform for mobile

Bitrise allowed our mobile team to save countless hours by automating mobile builds without spending too much time configuring them.

Pros

Configuring app builds is easy and most common operations require zero configuration. Roles and collaboration are straightforward. The REST APIs allow for useful integration with custom tools.

Cons

Navigating through different views sometimes feels cumbersome and slow when managing multiple apps.

Sean from Majestyk Apps

Best CI for Mobile

Pros

- Has so many off the shelf integrations that most CI’s don’t have - Built specifically for mobile - Hosted solution

Cons

- initial setup can take a bit longer compared to BuddyBuild

They dropped Android support

Kristoffer from Arlefur Mobile

An awesome service that just gets better and better

I was first worried about they being an external 3rd party service provider since we hold our on Git environment behind firewalls. But there where some very neat VPN plugins available so now we don't have to worry about maintaining our own Mac minis anymore. Cheers!

Pros

Bitrise is extremely easy to use. You can get started with some successful builds in no time at all. It's also very easy to do more advanced setups.

Cons

They're really isn't much I don't like about Bitrise. So for the service they have provided have been truly excellent for me. If I must mention something then the console printouts sometimes bugs out when they get really large.

Automate many things is happily to us.

Pros

Simple and easy workflow and steps features.

Cons

I have many workflow but I wrote same steps many times. So I want to define like a variables something.

Response from Bitrise

Replied May 2019

Thanks for the support and happy building!

Paweł from Netguru

Bitrise short review

Pros

Very clear interface and awesome design Ease of use workflow editor Availability for React Native solutions

Cons

Sometimes error-logging isn't as clear as it could be,

Igor from AppSpector

CI I use every day

Pros

- Ease of setup and intuitive UI/UX - Free plans enough for a pet projects - Great support

Cons

Sometimes web interface could be more responsive :) Especially loading long logs.

Great service for automated tests & app builds

We are creating beta builds for each pull request / feature for iOS / Android, and it helps us to speed up testing

Pros

Works very well and stable. Except the setup process everything was great!

Cons

Process of integrating was not always so straightforward, and took each time quite a significant amount of time to set it up, but at the end was worse it

Bit rise

Writing scripts for the Bitrise is pretty convenient.

Pros

This is the second Continuose Integration / Continuous delivery software I had chance to use. Definately better UI than Jenkins.

Cons

From what I heard it's pretty expensive options, but I'm not the one whos dealing with money management, so it could also not be true.

have to

Balázs from Revolution Robotics Foundation

How a CI tool should be

Pros

Very easy to use Free trial Free for small projects Open source offer

Cons

Nothing yet

Reasons for Choosing Bitrise

We didn't want to bother with hosting our own Jenkins or paying for hosting Easier to use Tailored for mobile

Thang from Virta Ltd.

Worth every single penny, highly recommended

Pros

Best customization and managed process. Automate project setup and great UX are big plus.

Cons

Honestly there is nothing to complain about. The whole thing is open source and really easy to extend or implement your own steps.

Yevhenii from 360Learning

Brilliant CI for affordable price

Pros

Easy to start, but still very flexible for advanced use. Stable and reliable.

Cons

UI isn't always fast enough. Strange first screen when site is loaded - not logged in / then logged in after some background checks.

Bitrise

Pros

Ease of use. Set it up and forget about it, knowing it'll continue to do its thing.

Cons

Having to deal with fixes every time Apple change something - not really the softwares fault.

Rudi from Telo Technology Limited

Amazing product

Really good product with a very good design

Pros

The interface is so good and the local bitrise is a really good idea.

Cons

You should consider to have an app for the user controls everything like in the website.

Try new options

samson from Experion Technologies Pvt Ltd

Best CI/CD tool I have ever used

I have about more than 100 applications deployed in Android Playstore. Building each application and deploying them manually was really a huge head ache for me. In times, it was taking almost two weeks to complete my deploying procedure. With the help of Bitrise, my deployment pipeline became super fast. I am using Bitrise in conjunction with Fastlane tool. Now I am deploying all the apps in a single day. Isn't it cool!

Pros

Ready-to-use plugins and user friendly dahsboard.

Cons

Initially the Android Emulator support was not working properly. But the support team really helped me to get a solution for it.

PANAGIOTIS from Blueground

Best CI service out there

The best I had so far with CI services, from software is great and the support team very helpful and responds fast

Pros

It's flexible, configurable it met even our complex scenarios.

Cons

You need sometime to figure out how it works but documentation helps a lot.

Reasons for Switching to Bitrise

It wasn't very flexible and had lots of bugs

Great replacement for Buddybuild

Pros

- Powerful features - Highly configurable - Maintaining complex build setups is much easier

Cons

- Steep learning curve - Occasional service issues

Ravindra from NICKELFOX TECHNOLOGIES PRIVATE LIMITED

Amazing Tool

Pros

1. Easy to setup 2. Availability of many tools

Cons

It's bit slower sometimes otherwise it runs smoothly.

Subham from Circles.life

Good distribution platform

Pros

It's easy to use and has a Good User experience.

Cons

Uploading dsyms should have been seamless.

Boy from Boydroid

Great software, great team!

Pros

The response time of the team is very good! They are always there to help.

Cons

Not much I don't like, but I would have liked to do 2 concurrent builds

Reasons for Switching to Bitrise

It did not work out-of-the-box enough like Bitrise does

Dominik from LeanCode

The most versatile mobile CI/CD platform

I am very satisfied with overall experience with Bitrise. Especially the customer support is superb. Whenever I had any problems I received support within minutes or hours. Also, Bitrise allows us to build multiple type of projects and share some common build steps in text form.

Pros

- ease of use combined with large range of capabilities - great customer support - extended trial period with continuous support - great docs and examples - open source nature

Cons

- costs a bit too high for Poland based company - hard to share common steps between projects and apps

Reasons for Switching to Bitrise

Didn't want to manage CI/CD in-house.

Alvaro from Roboworks

Best mobile app CI

Pros

Easy to use, great customer support and ready-made steps to quickly build your pipelines

Cons

UI could be better although it looks like they are improving regularly so I am sure it will get better and better

Serkan from bulut4

Bitrise Review

Pros

Simple, flexible, compact. we are using 4 mobile application.

Cons

free version low build minutes. ios build time need average 40 minutes.

Lefter from TouchNote

Easy and useful

Pros

Easy to use, I don't have to setup my own Jenkins

Cons

Haven't been working a lot with you guys so I don't have an opinion on this yet.