What are Act! users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Act! software through verified user reviews

• icon"The customer support is wonderful if you are a premium member. Whenever Microsoft Windows has an update a lot of my programs need some adjusting."
  • icon"The only thing I liked about ACT was that it stored my contacts. The interface was so clunky that it wasn't good for much else."
  • icon"Integration options are great. Organization of sales leads and next steps."
  • icon"The application is a technical support persons worst nightmare."
  • icon"Sometimes switching between databases causes the software to crash. It has been a problem with most versions we have used."
  • icon"The tech support is horrible and the sales people are misleading (so as to not call them liars)."

Browse all Act! Reviews

• Have you used Act! and would like to share your experience with others?

Fernando

Decent crm

Thomas

Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Love the ease of use for both entering data and retrieving info

I use it to track my clients and prospects and I can tell anyone the last time I made contact, what that was - letter, Email, Phone Call, etc. and it allows me to connect important info to any of my clients, prospects, friends and family.

Pros

The fact that I was able to use the product immediately with no instruction was a great pro. Entering data and retrieving info about a client is easy, and building history of calls, Email messages, letters in a record is great.

Cons

I am not happy with support as all they do is provide a fix when there is a problem, but not direction in how to build reports or use other functionality. I have had to fix the same problem with direction from their service group several times. If I ask for help with reports they tell me I need to find a consultant for that.

A GOOD STABLE BASE FOR CRM ... JUST WISH ENHANCING WAS A LITTLE EASIER

We need ACT, and it is the core of what we do. We would like to see ways that we can add depth and richness to a good platfrom

Pros

I like the fact that a team of 5 can share effectively in real time, I like the ease of changing layouts and adding fields, and with Seamless the ablity to easily prdcue high quality documenation. It's link to outlook and ODBC is good and it is a stable, which being at the core of our business is a good thing

Cons

There are many things I think we could do to be more productive but can't, and we do see fields being changed or lost "by themselves". The web version was a poor version of the Pro, and we haven't been able to make it available when offline, which is a frustration.

Reasons for choosing Act!

Much better value for money, and lower overall overheads meant better for us as a asmall business

Jeremy

Jeremy's Review

Pros

It's easy to keep my tasks managed and know who to contact and when.

Cons

It's only utilized well for task management

Reasons for switching to Act!

I didn't like the way Salesforce was set up. I was able to set up Act! the way I wanted.

Carlos

Super Disappointed

Pros

I liked this software to run my credit repair business. Keep track of letter management and clients. It was easy at first.

Cons

After you purchase your license, in a year or 2 they discontinue the version and you have to pay for the license all over again. I had purchase 3 licenses and wanted to purchase a 4th one and they said I couldn't that I would have to upgrade to the monthly fee version where you pay monthly per license including for the licenses I already had. Now this year they discontinued the licenses I already purchased, they want me to upgrade and pay 550 per license all over again because they have a new version and will not give support nor fixes to the older versions. This is insane. I pay them for a license so they discontinue the product and expect me to purchase all licenses again. ON top of that, it is glitchy, it continue disconnects from Outlook. You call customer support and someone in India answers and they are clue less. Every time Outlook does an update or act updates it completely looses all integration. OH, and they give you 0 customer service, you have to pay for that separately.

Information at our finger tips

So far things have gone well. I feel as we continue to use the product we will be able to use it in more ways and thus expand and be even more successful. It is a beneficial product that we need to learn how to use to its full capacity.

Pros

As a newer user of ACT! I have found it helpful to have a place to capture customer information that I can then easily share with my co-workers. As a small business this gives us the feel of a larger organization, it has helped with our efficiency and effectiveness and has improved customer service. Saving time and being able to capture vital customer information is necessary for our success.

Cons

Took a little time to get use to where everything is and how to properly utilize.

Vincent

ACT CRM, Great Starter CRM.

For many years that I did use act I really enjoyed it was a great tool getting used to working with it was very easy for me. we did a lot of customization to the dashboard added some imagery additional fields it was really awesome. We didn't get to the point to using their marketing campaign products but the email templates were really awesome really awesome

Pros

I really liked the contact management history management email integration and tracking grouping of contacts opportunity groups add opportunity ratings.

Cons

Act is a really great entry level CRM it has some functionality's third party capabilities other products you can purchase from the store but it just doesn't have what it takes to get you over the hill when you get a little bit larger

Reasons for choosing Act!

I chose Act because of my background use with Gold Mine and earlier versions of Act. Act while I used it was a great product for contact management, mail merge templates tracking all of your daily activities and contact interactions.

Reasons for switching to Act!

Quite simply we outgrew Act. Zoho One is an enterprise level platform with 40 different applications. For the same exact price per user we got a lot more product for the price. Act again is a very great entry level CRM if it does what you need to do stay with it there's no reason to switch. we did not have a bad experience with act more their support department, save on occasion when you would call support you'd get the Indian’s overseas and you could barely hear them it's as if they were talking very quietly on purpose.

Van McLean

ACT! for NGOs

I generally find ACT! basic but easy to use. You find there what you need - particularly the database management.

Pros

I have pioneered the purchase of ACT! in my company. Back then, It offers a perpetual license per user which is great as you don't subject yourself to a monthly or annual subscription. I love the fact that ACT! marketing can be customised and very rare that it falls under the promotions tab of the email recipient.

Cons

ACT! can only be linked to a certain version of Outlook which i find not helpful. Not all the licenses we purchased were maximise as they find ACT! a work duplicate particularly on the finance side since only selected accounting software can be integrated in the ACT! system.

Reasons for switching to Act!

ACT! offers a more attractive price as compared to other email marketing platforms

Industry: Medical Devices

Good As A Contact Manager, Not As A 2020 CRM

ACT! was very helpful in moving our business forward at a time where we mainly needed to focus on contact management. Now that I need a true CRM, there are better alternatives for us.

Pros

I used ACT daily for years. It works well as a contact manager and can help track email conversions through an Outlook plugin.

Cons

The program lacks the advanced functionality you would expect with a modern day customer relationship management software. The design is also extremely dated.

Reasons for switching to Act!

HubSpot is more robust and is generally affordable. I would argue that HubSpot does a great job providing value compared to other CRMs on the market

victor

Cheap product for a cheap price - plan on no tech support

Tech support sucks. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] , all the tech and customer support people hide. You will only get a phone call back. if you dont respond, your support ticket gets closed out. Its the year 2021, but you won't get a tech support person's employee id, email address, phone number, etc because ACT!'s policy is to hide them amidst all the versions ACT keeps implementing. Ask what level technichian a support person is and watch them get upset, say they dont like they way you are treating them and they will hang up.

Pros

it was inexpensive. but you get what you pay for.

Cons

No tech support. ACT is always putting out a new version. each new version trips off problems and requires new integrations and updates that they do not tell you about and cause integration issues with all of your other software expecially microsof.

price

ACT was cheaper

Samara

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Good Product

Pros

Good management system. Met out needs for a while.

Cons

Not designed specifically for our industry

Ted

One of the easiest CRMs to learn yet very robust

Pros

I really like the layout and tab system for quickly navigating to relevant data and files attached to the case you are working on. ACT! Was the first CRM I learned to use and it has only gotten better with age.

Cons

I had a little difficulty figuring out how to get the datasets i needed to query properly but that wasn't a problem with their platform, it was a lack of knowledge.

Michelle

Act! through the years

I love Act!, the functionality, the ability to customize, detailed reports. I run my single jobs, AR, AP, reporting, generate documents, calendar, follow up, email all through Act! and have micro control of every document and report. I have several users and the addons are endless.

Pros

I began using Act! 20+ years ago the draw for me was the ability to customize the product for my companies needs. I have run my company's database with this software from start up and I have made it work through the years. In the earlier days I was able to automate functionality to stay ahead of trends and have robust productivity far a head of my competitors. As the years have gone on and the product was sold and resold they have updated and brought general users more but have left lifelong users in the dust for profit.

Cons

Subscription services that cripple my ability to utilize the fully purchased/owned product. I feel that the company sold out for recurring subscriptions. I don't care that they want to go to subscription but I do care that I have my feet held to the fire because of it. Users like myself enabled their progress and continued success.

Reasons for choosing Act!

Act! gave me a starting point and a user friendly interface that I could easily behind the scenes customize. The import and export functions were simple and the ability to create templates and reports that had dynamic functionality was impressive. I could even create macros, easily build queries and set fields to launch other programs upon entry into that field.

Tammy

ACT! for Insurance/Financial Advisors

I love all the features that meet the needs of financial advisors. The customizable fields are beneficial and improve the overall use of the software. It has probably just as many features as other customer relations management programs but cost is substantially less. Very happy with my selection.

Pros

The Act! for Advisors software has been modified to meet the requirements of a financial advisor which includes being able to input information regarding insurance contracts. The new Marketing Automation is an great way to send out Newsletters, etc.

Cons

They have lots of online resources/video's to learn the Marketing Automation. You can also speak to customer service but they recently cut their remote access where you can have customer service work on your computer to help answer/show you how to do things with the marketing automation.

Reasons for choosing Act!

Cost while not sacrificing the overall features.

Reasons for switching to Act!

Salesforce was cost prohibitive.

Angela

Long Time User

Because we have at least 3 people involved in one transaction, the relationship tab helps us tie them together to the transaction. We can toggle back and forth easily without having to search another name. It's quick and efficient. With our customized fields, we can easily see years of history for a client on one page. We have been frustrated over the years by the number of crashes and freezes.Occasionally an import will not import correctly and the data in put into the wrong fields. The support help and support page of the marketing automation is very poor and lacking in depth training on creating/sending eblasts. There are is no advanced level training for the eblasts and drip marketing.

Pros

This is a robust software program. We have added many custom fields that allows us to track a lot of data really dig into for trends and statistics. We love how history is captured a for all the activity we do for and with a client. We rely on the relationship tab heavily as multiple people are involved in a transaction. We are really enjoying the new Marketing Automation. It has a lot of robust features that we are just beginning to tap into. We also like the groups feature. We have hundreds of groups that we can run reports and create statistics from. We can see how many groups a contact is part of which helpful as well. I like the statistics ACT generates from drip marketing. Knowing what emails bounced back or who opted out helps us improve our data.

Cons

When searching for a person, it doesn't give you the option of having similar names - the spelling must be exact. It crashes when we are in the social updates tab. Customer Service: Often the techs are hard to understand. The time we spend on the phone with customer service on average lasts about 1/2 to an hour depending on the issue. That is a big interruption to our workflow in the office. One thing I wish ACT would do is send to 2 emails at once. When sending out an eblast, it pulls from the email field. If there is more than one email address followed by a semicolon, it won't send to both. It bounces back.

Reasons for choosing Act!

We've been using it for more than 15 years and are excited when another new upgrade and improvement is made. Familiarity and loyalty!

Thom

Very versatile

I have been using it non stop since the earliest versions - that should tell you that I am very satisfied with it.

Pros

I have been using ACT for over 25 years and have seen lots of versions. I like its flexibility and that I can put users into multiple groups, It would be impossible to design a program that did everything everybody wanted it to but ACT comes close. I use it for sales, marketing, personal groups I coordinate, keeping track of some of my customers' customers. It can interact with Outlook and Google's calendar if you use either of those programs. I am a Premium member. The bad side to that is it is a little pricey - about $0 a month. The good side is that I always have the most up to date version. The customer support is wonderful if you are a premium member. Whenever Microsoft Windows has an update a lot of my programs need some adjusting. ACT requires the SQL to restart but that is a simple fix. If/when I have had issues I couldn't fix I just made a call and their support team was terrific in helping me. I like the fact that it is cloud based so I can access it on my tablet or cell phone or any computer anywhere. At my office I use the offline version and simply update the sync to the cloud. I have it set to update overnight also. One of the features I like best is the history. It is great to be able to look back to meetings, calls etc to see what I said, did etc. The library of forms is very useful also - create a form, letter - whatever - and you have a pre printed template you can utilize for multiple clients or for just one. It holds tons of contacts also.

Cons

I wish it had more options for the ID/Status cells. The group function sort of does that but not like I need it to. Having 3, 4, 5 or more ID/Status cells would be very useful. Most of my clients fall into more than one category.

Overall expereince

Customer relationship management in a neat little package!

Act has become a valuable database of information for our teams, storing all manner of customer and company information that we can utilise for various means. It is a valuable asset for us and will no doubt continue to be in the future.

Pros

There are multiple benefits to using Act as reported by our users. The Act database allows for a large quantity of information to be stored, meaning we were able to decommission several other systems holding various bits of customer data by merging it into Act. We have found pricing to be competitive on a per-licence basis which suits us as a small team working within a non-profit organisation. Act makes it easy for users to update already stored customer/company information, so we always have up-to-date data for contacting, addresses, etc. Communications to customers/companies are tracked in Act so other members of the department can see who has communicated with who, and what the correspondence was – this is useful if a member of staff is off and another needs to pick up some workload. On the technical side, updates and hotfixes are provided regularly and it is relatively easy to install these during periods of downtime. The UI is easy to navigate, with clearly labelled menus and an in-built help area.

Cons

We have found it somewhat difficult to integrate Act with our current systems and have resorted to manually exporting CSVs with information to import into our systems. This is a legacy process and may have been improved upon however, we haven’t looked into this. We have also had to purchase add-ins to enable certain features such as opportunities tracking, but Act plays well with these add-ons, so this is not too much of an issue for us. From an admin’s perspective, it has proven difficult to set up an automatic installation that works with our MDT deployments, but we roll out images with Act on rarely, so this isn’t too much of an issue. Perhaps in future, updates could be made to the UI to make it look a little less dated and bring it up to clean, modern, standards.

Jonathan

Act! is a flexible tool to track data the way you want to see it.

Act allows us to manage a vast database of over 85,000 contacts and 15,000 companies, as well as over 100,000 Table records between the two, with ease. Any information we need to find or update with these records is as easy as it gets, and makes our customer service team's jobs a relative breeze. There are hiccups here and there, especially with newer features to the program, but there's never been any issues that interrupt work or cause data loss, and the tech support available is very handy at resolving any issues we might have.

Pros

Everything in a Contact or Company record's layout can be customized, moved around, hidden on a per-user basis, and otherwise manipulated however your organization needs it to be. My company makes heavy use of this feature, having multiple team-based layouts that present the most important data to those teams prominently. We also greatly enjoy the software's ability to perform advanced queries on the data that can be saved and re-run with a single click to provide accurate reports and drill down to specific needs in moments.

Cons

There are quite a few features that feel incomplete or at least not fully integrated. For example, the software comes with the ability to create and Mail Merge templated emails that imports information like a contact's name, and the Smart Tasks feature allows you to automatically perform certain tasks including sending an email to a contact, yet for some reason you can't do both - that is, you can't set a Smart Task to perform a Mail Merge to a templated email and send the result, meaning that the automated emails cannot contain information personal to the contact such as their name.

Robert

Value of using Act

See What I liked most.

Pros

Started using Act about 25 years ago. Have added contacts since and used most of the features. Over time the use of certain features such as mass mailings to customer lists have faded, and now occasionally by e-mail. Over time I have come to value how I can locate someone that was a customer years ago, and have a complete record of a transaction, conversation or specific subject we were involved in. You have to learn to use for nearly every phone conversation or piece of correspondence. If you do, you will always be able to revert back to a contact, and who said what when. What correspondence was involved etc. To say nothing about scheduling appointments, and being reminded of birthdays and other important events. Act is the backbone of my business and personal contact information. Invaluable and used every day. I have used over may revisions and Company changes. Sometimes the customer service is better than others. Presently the Customer Service is Excellent. If you are a first time user or considering starting to use it I would recommend you take a course on using it as many of the features are not apparent unless someone shows them to you. A great tool to keep track of what everyone on your team is doing and as they move on a record of what they did and who was involved. A great tool that I rely on daily. Happy to spread the word.

Cons

Many features that I never use, but see how others would. Don't like having to use MS Outlook for e-mail. Would like to access completely by phone, but my database is too big.

Bill

How act is helping me working at 74 as a sales man

I have been using ACT's since 1999 and this year I turned 74 and I'm still selling with the very best of them. I sell power supplies to industry and without ACT there is no way I could compete in the world of sales today without ACT, I put everything and anything that helps me sell more in a very competitive field including emails, quotes, power supply spec, and notes. I see so many people who will not invest in this program or database if they did their sales would be much higher nobody can remember everything but ACT does. In all the years I have used at never a problem of any kind I do keep it on three computers as the backup just in case there's a crash of one of my computers. I backup my database 2 to 3 times a week making sure I have everything when I need it. The thing I like most about ACT when I go to sales meetings I have all my information right in front of me on my laptop and so many people don't. So when I am questioned about any customer I can look in my notes and have the answers I need, without ACT my sales numbers would be much lower. Thanks ACT

Pros

Without ACT I could not compete as well as I do in the sales world for it is changing every day. I need ACT to help track my customers my orders my RFQ's and so many other things without it I wouldn't have a job today. I see so many salespeople who won't invest in ACT who sales numbers could be so much better I tell them about ACT but they don't seem to want to invest in their future and their future sales that could be so much better.

Cons

I cannot find one thing wrong with ACT I have been using it approximately 20 years and never had a problem I cannot say this about other database programs I have had to use when I worked for other companies. Some of them were super complicated took hours of work just to get your data in whereas using ACT it was a breeze putting data in and saving data of all kinds.

Karen

I may be prejudiced but I love this product

I have used Act personally and for my business almost since its inception. Full disclosure: I have written 7 books on the product as well as the training videos for lynda.com/LinkedIn. I also do consulting work for several other CRM products and wrote a book on SugarCRM. For the money, you can't beat Act. Act has all the power of the "bigger" players without the expensive price point. As newer features are added the existing ones remain relatively stable so that an existing user can upgrade without being hit by a huge learning curve. That said, new users of ANY software product, and specifically CRM software, need to realize that training is essential if they want to unleash the full power of Act. And, like with any other software, support and training is not free - especially if your Act version is several years old. Try calling Microsoft the next time you need help with a spreadsheet or can't get Outlook to send your email and you will see exactly what I mean. However, all Act Premium subscriptions do include free technical support. I urge readers to take some of the reviews with a grain of salt. For example, Act is absolutely the easiest product out there when it comes to a mail merge. Try doing this in Salesforce and compare the number of keystrokes it takes to complete a merge. Another reviewer complains that you can't merge to over "50 contacts;" that restriction is meant to keep you spam-compliant and can easily be overcome by using the built in Act E-marketing Tool. Another reviewer complained that it took "days" to download the software; again, this is simply not the norm and one has to wonder what kind of security settings might have been blocking the ability to download software.

Pros

Perfect fit for mid-sized businesses. Great price point. Only truly hybrid solution that allows you to use Act both on your desktop and in a hosted environment.

Josh

ACT is a great software product that allows you to integrate your database and track your clients

ACT is worth the price and worth the training to get educated on it. Unfortunately you need to spend some time figuring out the details, but once you do, it is off to the races and you will love the system every day. It really is a great product.

Pros

This product allows you to integrate the basic and most complicated processes within your business. I love the email link feature, any time I send an email to a client (who has their email in their account profile), the system automatically saves that email in the client profile. You don't have to search for it in your inbox, or click an extra button to push the details over to the profile, it all happens automatically. The icing on the cake, is now that it is in the client profile, other members of my team can see what emails I have communicated to client, and when they were sent. It helps to keep my team all on the same page. This is by far the best Client Database system I have ever used. AMAZING!

Cons

The biggest downside to ACT is there is not a built in funnel email system. You have to select the group or type of clients that you want to email, export that to another database and then send the communications from there. The system will still tag your emails as long as they are sent from your domain, but having to export the list an use an additional software or service to send the mass email notifications is a little frustrating. If they can fix this option, it would make my life a lot easier.

e-marketing, marketing automation

I would pay twice if I will be able to go to previous abilities that ACT has

Pros

Act itself is as a good database software. Compering to previous version synchronized with Swift Page it has a better platform to create a template. There are other things you improve but for our small company we do not use them (like several times of sending same e-mail to one customer)

Cons

In Marketing Automation: - you can not add and SAVE our data base fields in the template - you can not send an e-mail from the template to one person (only to the group) - you can not sent an e-mail to lookup (every time you must create the group from lookup) - may e-mails is getting lost (in our 2 campaigns about 20% e-mails were not delivered) In e-marketing - you can not add and SAVE our data base fields in the template ****** In your previous version of ACT I was able to add fields from my database SAVE them in the template and send them to lookup without a need to create the group. ****** And your customer service ??? I believe you can do better work. For example - I wrote an e-mail to you about month ago - with totally no answers from you.

Response from Swiftpage

Andrew, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the new Act! Marketing Automation. Please email me at mbowers@swiftpage.com and I will escalate your issue. Thanks again.

Replied April 2019

wayne

Industry: Environmental Services

Long time ACT! user, especially happy with V23

Greatly improved and confidence-inspiring in V23. Minimal frustration ACT! is feature-rich, and discovery of additional functionality is fun as well as useful. Many useful/fun feature surprises to be discovered with HELP and excellent videos to get there

Pros

Not easy to learn, but getting much easier. But very powerful for those who would take the time to become familiar with its muscle. It is apparent to me that Swiftpage folks are remarkably skilled and motivated to make ACT! an (THE) industry leader. Significantly greater reliability and freedom from issues. I have seen wonderful improvements in marketing automation with V23 Current functionality of marketing automation was beyond my imagination Technical assistance is quick and has become absolutely first class. I rate a solid 10

Cons

Steep learning curve, but learning the system is greatly eased recently with new videos that are easy to follow and with a narrative voice that is especially understandable Technical help is not available on weekends and after hours.

Reasons for choosing Act!

ACT! is becoming much more powerful, easier to learn and easier to use. SwiftPage is working hard to keep me as a customer. I am especially excited with V23

Fred

ACT! 19 much better than 18

Have been an ACT user for over a decade. Works well, but syncing with Outlook and Gmail has been rough. Version 19 is much better, but still needs some work. It would be nice if ACT provided tech support for the first 90 days without paying all the time. Also would like to see contact photos added as it is in Outlook.

Pros

Organization and logic

Cons

Syncing with Outlook and Gmail can be difficult.

Response from Swiftpage

Hi Fred, Thanks for your review! Did you know it is possible to add a photo to an Act! contact? You can edit your contact layout to include a picture field. Once this has been added, you can display any photo you like within the field. Regarding the Outlook email history attachments, there is an icon that looks like an envelope with a red X which will display in your taskbar if there are some emails which have been sent but not attached to an Act! contact. This is intended to notify you that these histories will be missing and will give you the option of manually choosing a contact to record them to, or creating a new contact from the info provided. If you have any further questions about Act! or are looking for advice, check out our Community Forums: https://community.act.com - Act!

Replied February 2017