What are CharityEngine users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using CharityEngine software through verified user reviews

• icon"CharityEngine is a great CRM tool, for me the feature I use most often is query builder to create custom reports of specific parts and types of data."
  • icon"I also very much appreciate being able to write complex queries and then schedule them to send me reports as frequently as I want them."
  • icon"The growth and strength of this platform over the past 8+ year has been amazing."
  • icon"The vendor provided poor training and set-up options for the front-line fundraising team."
  • icon"The product was grossly over-sold by the sales team."
  • icon"Tracking of changes to records is not captured as to who made changes and when which can be a problem."

Browse all CharityEngine Reviews

• Have you used CharityEngine and would like to share your experience with others?

Michelle

Power behind your reporting

Pros

CharityEngine is a great CRM tool, for me the feature I use most often is query builder to create custom reports of specific parts and types of data. I love the functionality available in Query Builder, and since my organization has some pretty complex data structures, CE makes it really easy for me to get exactly the data I need at any given time.

Cons

Sometimes when there are updates to the software, some functionalities are down temporarily, but their team always works swiftly to make sure everything is running smooth!

Reasons for switching to CharityEngine

We needed more everything!

Benjamin

Not just Donor Management

The system not only solves some of the most complex donor management system needs, but in some cases it's working for my association customers to manage membership needs as well. As for associations that have a donor arm, which is where we've done a lot of work, this system is easy to integrate as needed but is a real 360 degree view while also having top notch web forms, marketing automation and other critical items that are huge money and time savers for nonprofits

Pros

For a multi-tenant system, I'm really surprised at the extensibility of the system. Without "customizing" everything, it's really flexible and configurable to meet a lot of different business rules that are unique to my customers. Their data model and ability to query and layer queries is really impressive compared to similar systems in the market.

Cons

Hard to say, I think it may be somewhat difficult to set up if you aren't trained on it like my team is as an integration and implementation firm. We work with many similar systems in the market though and I'd say comparatively, it's easier to set up than most other member and donor management systems. I wish it had some additional functionality like the Association Management Systems (AMS) market has around testing, certification and things like that, we could have consolidated down to fewer systems in the stack for our customers who we implemented it for, but that's not what we bought it for. I'm super pleased with what's there.

Reasons for choosing CharityEngine

After spending months to consider a CRM based approach and all of the additional customizations and other 3rd party systems that would be needed to accomplish our customer's goals, the cost to stand up the system and get up and running was cheaper and faster while the customer felt they did not sacrifice quality or support.

Reasons for switching to CharityEngine

Our customer would say that the functionality was greater and more all-inclusive, and the pricing model is surprisingly creative and flexible for the enterprise level system you get.

Christina

Industry: Broadcast Media

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Connect, Customize and Collaborate

Pros

The tool is feature rich. I find new options that will improve our productivity just about every week. One of my favorite features is their robust import tool. They make is so easy to bring data into the system.

Cons

Charity Engine offers a wide variety of features, but some have not been developed to the level of sophistication we need. The good news is they have an excellent process for submitting and reviewing enhancement requests and so far, all our requests have been submitted for future development.

Reasons for choosing CharityEngine

We chose Charity Engine because of their API capability, donor retention program and they offer the ability to customize just about everything within the tool.

Reasons for switching to CharityEngine

Allegiance did not offer the ability to integrate with other technology platforms which is critical for the long term growth of our organization.

Response from CharityEngine

Thank you for your insightful review. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us.

Rion

Industry: Museums and Institutions

Charity Engine has been one of our best investments

My overall experience has been exceptional. The implementation, support, and onboarding teams of Charity Engine truly go above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction.

Pros

The ease of use and implementation was important to us, and the continued support is the best I have ever worked with.

Cons

I honestly can not think of a single con to this product.

Response from CharityEngine

We at CharityEngine appreciate your generous feedback. Thank you.

Margie

Design seems tailored more to mass mailers than high dollar cultivators

I was brought in to the organization after they had spent 9 months trying to transition to Charity Engine. I found that the data transfer from our old system was not done correctly and it took a lot of time to get that sorted out. It isn't intuitive, and is over complicated. It is hard to find what you are looking for in the navigation.

Pros

Query capability. Online forms. Payment processing.

Cons

We can't use for generating acknowledgement letters because they won't format correctly. We didn't use initially for email communication, but they have improved that feature. It is very clunky to add or update individual records, requiring user to go in and out of many screens and remember to flag things, such as address is preferred, and remember to click a save button. Far too many steps. It doesn't help with grant management. Event management also is not good. It is difficult and time consuming to record activities (meetings, phone calls) that you have had with your donors, and then they are not exportable on reports.

IDK

Reasons for switching to CharityEngine

I don't know - I wasn't here then.

Response from CharityEngine

Margie, thank you for your feedback. It looks like we missed on training here. Many of the issues you've cited, such as properly formatted acknowledgement letters or recording and reporting on activities are core capabilities and we're going to make sure we get you up and running. Better knowledge around how to navigate the platform may also help lead to less clicks to get what you need. I believe our team has already reached out to you for additional help and training and hopefully you are already on a path to a better experience. Thank you for your partnership and for letting CharityEngine be part of the wonderful work you are doing at Center for Education Reform.

Replied September 2020

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Mission Partner

Excellent. We have looked at other fundraising and donor management platforms. While some have cleaner dashboards, no one can match the functionality that Charity Engine has to offer.

Pros

Charity Engine took our fundraising to the next level by magnitudes of scale. It professionalized our messaging and operation, enabling us to attract new supporters, excite current donors, and direct attention to key initiatives at a critical time.

Cons

The customer service provided by Charity Engine staff is exceptional. They are responsive and professional every time I ask them for help. The self-help tutorials are good, but for a very small and lean nonprofit, we just didn't have the time to learn the platform as well as we could have, so we relied on Charity Engine staff and they walked us through it every step of the way. They understood our requirements and worked with us to achieve those goals.

Response from CharityEngine

James, we appreciate being part of taking your fundraising goals to the next level. Thank you so much for your kind words.

Nick

A view from a non-profit Food Bank.

As the donor database manager, I spend each and every day within CharityEngine. Processing donations, tracking pledges, building forms, event management, reporting and more. The overall experience I have had with CharityEngine is hands down some of the best. Each and every feature within CharityEngine continues to inspire individual growth within myself as the opportunities are endless.

Pros

The convenience, and ease of all fundraising streamlines comes within CharityEngine. From simple donation processing, to online forms, event registrations and individualize marketing tools, CharityEngine is the powerhouse software. CharityEngine continues to improve with each and every release bringing more and more improvements for continued growth in the fundraising segments. Managing our major gifts program through CharityEngine has allowed our gift officers to track opportunities, pledges and payments, reporting and all, in real-time.

Cons

Although we integrated CharityEngine just shy of a little over two years ago, it seems like just yesterday! We continue to grow as an organization, and within that growth we continue to grow within CharityEngine. That being said, each and every day I continue to learn more and more that CharityEngine can do. Of course, we run into a hurdle here and there, but fortunately, we have a great support team behind us, and for that fact we really haven’t run into anything we find as a dislike.

Reasons for choosing CharityEngine

Choosing the right platform requires that you ensure you have all that you need within the product. CharityEngine provides just that. The decision was made to convert to CharityEngine for that, and it was the right choice for us!

Reasons for switching to CharityEngine

The switch to CharityEngine was made for growth. At the time, our previous software had not allowed the growth factor that CharityEngine allowed. The online presence was an important move that my organization had prioritized to improve. After reviewing, and testing a number of CRM software's, the decision to move forward with CharityEngine boiled down to the support behind the product. A focused and dedicated support team provides valuable knowledge and potential to continue growing.

Great comprehensive solution!

Pros

- Flexibility and ease of use - Robust functionality that facilitates/addresses all of our fundraising, marketing and donor management needs. - very responsive customer support

Cons

No complaints. This is a great, very cost effective solution.

Reasons for switching to CharityEngine

We needed a more dynamic product to address our unique needs. Blackbaud was the opposite of that for us.

It’s a great tool for managing donors/customers

It allows for direct emailing to donor/customer with specific notes on the file. A complete record of transactions etc. You can set up regular recurring payments. The reporting is great.

Pros

Searching for donors and making changes is easy and intuitive

Cons

It can take some time to load searches. I haven’t been able to get much of a response from customer service on an issue.

Merging with another entity but much prefer Charity Engine

Response from CharityEngine

Thank you for sharing such positive feedback. We pride ourselves on customer support so please reach out at hello@charityengine.net so we can help resolve your need.

Becky

Industry: Food Production

Good product, could use some growth

Pros

The look, and multiple tab usage, I like that you don't have to open a new software to look at multiple things

Cons

user interface, building reports are not easy, training has been almost non existent.

Reasons for switching to CharityEngine

We outgrew Donor Quest and needed more features.

Response from CharityEngine

Becky, thank you for your feedback. We are glad you have already begun to see some of the efficiencies of an integrated platform. We're sorry that you were not able to get the training you had hoped for thus far. We are working to address that with your team and you should soon see the benefits of our unified platform. Training will pay great dividends in terms of eliminating some of your challenges like building reports and will hopefully have you enjoying your new capabilities and features.

Tiffany

Industry: Fund-Raising

Over-promised and still waiting on the delivery

As a user, the system is not as user friendly as other databases, requiring a few hoops to jump through before finding the solution or answer you were looking for. It has the ability to be a robust tool, but not sure it will deliver on the promises made. I am making this review as an individual and not on behalf of my organization.

Pros

Disclaimer: I am making this review as an individual user and not on behalf of my organization. It looks prettier than our old system. That's about as far as I can go at this point. We are three months in and still trying to work with the CE team to resolve issues and set-up some of the features.

Cons

Features were promised, as well as a seamless integration. We asked if there would be interruption for our partners when migrating their donation pages, we were told "no not at all". Teams were missing, fields were mis-coding creating more manual work. Front-line fundraiser dashboards are proving to be cumbersome and still awaiting the final creation. Still haven't figured out a solution for non-monetary gifts such as volunteer hours, gift cards, in-kinds, or poundage.

Reasons for switching to CharityEngine

Our organization outgrew its capabilities.

Response from CharityEngine

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We hear you loud and clear. As I believe you know by now, we are working with your team to get everyone across the organization up to speed, trained and seeing the positive impact gained from our platform. Additional training on the specifics of the platform in relation to your job are clearly warranted. We did promise a lot, as your needs were quite extensive, and we are fully committed to making sure your needs for better operations are met.

Dana

A True Partner

I've worked at start ups and with more mature fundraising programs and the level of transparency I had into our business, especially payment processing is unmatched. The experience with Charity Engine felt more like a partnership than a vendor / client relationship and I believe this contributed to our overall success.

Pros

A monthly giving program can provide a stable source of income for an organization and Charity Engine software was integral to the implementation and ongoing success of our monthly giving program. Our strategy included moving off of our existing online fundraising platform and finding a better option for payment processing. Direct Response Television (DRTV) is a considerable investment and it was the primary acquisition method for our program. We wanted a solution that could charge recurring gifts (monthly, quarterly, annual) and process ACH and credit card donations across all channels and we didn't want to deal with file transfers. Charity Engine worked with us and the software accommodated all of our needs - the donation page integrated seamlessly with the website, we passed through our source code logic and the inbound contact centers could authorize and process transactions in real time (no batch processing) through Charity Engine's open API. What I like most about this experience with Charity Engine software - flexibility. Charity Engine felt like a solution with plenty of functionality I could use right out of the box but that also incorporated features designed specifically to meet my program's needs. Later, with a smaller organization, I found my favorite thing about Charity Engine software - other than the cost (per contact record fee structure) was the intuitive interface that made it easy for a few people to manage events and peer to peer marketing/fundraising.

Cons

As a Charity Engine admin/user at the first organization, we identified a need for user manual/training resources. Also, entering offline donations (literally entering check information) was a pain point, however, offline donation entry is problematic for peer to peer fundraisers/organizations still today - I don't think any software has the perfect solution.

Holly

Industry: Environmental Services

Full time daily user

I am able to keep really good track of the donors I am responsible for, so CharityEngine is a very effective tool for me. It is the primary tool I use on a daily basis, and I am regularly finding ways to produce data and reports from queries that are replacing our old spreadsheet tracking methods.

Pros

I appreciate that I can easily track things I have done, or need to do, with regard to a specific People record. I use the "Activities" module for every donor change (or review) I make. I also very much appreciate being able to write complex queries and then schedule them to send me reports as frequently as I want them.

Cons

There are a few things that could be streamlined, such as when it is time to change the entry in the "Solicitor/Account Manager" field. However, the customer support team takes our concerns and our suggestions seriously, and I have been impressed by the proactive response to recommendations from users.

Reasons for switching to CharityEngine

I don't know - it was before I worked at RT.

Response from CharityEngine

Thank you for you great review and partnership!

Great Partners

Pros

I have implemented CE at two non-profits. And utilized CE as our on-line partner for fundraising with great results. The ease of use, affordability and support services are the keys to this products growth. They are always adjusting the platform and implementing new discoveries - when they discover something that works for one fundraising client they share those across the platform. The growth and strength of this platform over the past 8+ year has been amazing.

Cons

None to report, whenever there is an issue they have amazing response time and great customer support

Deanna

Dashboard of all the necessary, easily use, user friendly, speedy, and efficiency.

Pros

I see better features than I was new with Charity Engine when it was first started at least 2 years ago. Many ways to find contact using email, address, first or last name, address work great. Cut the time of search and avoid duplicate records. Once the record is created, it's easier to create the payment and make it paid. The address is entered, auto address brings up to match the valid address from postal service is a nice one.

Cons

There are a few that I have to hit the 'Back' button which I do not see a feature that I want. Wish there is a feature to help me go forward. Credit card payment on the dashboard is not reliable.

Response from CharityEngine

Deanna, thanks for your review. We will have someone from customer support reach out to you to get more information about credit card payments to make sure we get that issue resolved.

Bridget

Four months in, very little function for our teams

Pros

The promise of the functionality of this software is great. Most reporting used by our team is straight to email, so it is nice to be able to start your day by seeing donor lists to email before you login to the secure site.

Cons

Customer service and product use training: This product was not set to launch for our team, although it seems to have provided great improvements for gift processing. The vendor provided poor training and set-up options for the front-line fundraising team. Four months in, and the most basic functionality that I would have expected on day one (how to view my list of donors in my portfolio) is still not available. I have been through other CRM conversions with much better preparation for the user team to be prepared on Day 1 to use for every function of their job, and that's not what the vendor here is good at doing.

Response from CharityEngine

Bridget, thank you for your candid feedback. A major CRM implementation requires significant training and we missed the mark. Your voice was heard and our client success team has been working with your team to address your concerns. Hopefully that's already being felt. We are committed to setting you up for success.

Carol

Wish We Still Had Our Old, Out-dated CRM Tool

Dismal. Frustrating. Disappointing. And we just came through a global pandemic with the heaviest donation period in our history with a sloppy, non-user friendly tool that doesn't provide the depth of data we need and were told we could anticipate. And now we are headed toward year-end fundraising season with a tool that doesn't allow segmentation of our donor data. We are -- or WERE -- a high performing fundraising team before we got Charity Engine. It's a joke.

Pros

It's got a nice dashboard. But, four months in, we still don't know to navigate the tool, pull reports or find information easily, even when using CE every day.

Cons

The product was grossly over-sold by the sales team. We had an old, outdated CRM that we had out-grown, but I would take it back in a heartbeat because it did so many things that Charity Engine does not do. We were so excited to have a new database, but this CRM is really not a fit for our needs at all. Absolutely NO training available. We are still in "sandbox" mode after four months very poor, slow, unresponsive customer support, not intuitive or user-friendly. Lots of mistakes pulling in new donor data. Wish I had something good to say, but I don't.

Reasons for switching to CharityEngine

We thought we needed a more modern, robust tool -- Charity Engine isn't the answer, for sure. Big mistake.

Response from CharityEngine

Carol, thank you for sharing your experience thus far. Since your review, we have engaged with the team to make sure that all stakeholders are trained on the platform. It's clear that we have not set you up to do the things you need the most in your role and your frustration is completely understandable. Your voice was heard and we are committed to making sure that we address your concerns.

Whitney

Industry: Philanthropy

Needs to be more nimble and adaptic and intuitive

Pros

The layout of records is good and analytics on campaigns is informative.

Cons

Queries are not intuitive and overly complicated. The way data is broken down into silos makes if very difficult to do anything more than the most simple queries easily without jumping through multiple hoops. Tracking of changes to records is not captured as to who made changes and when which can be a problem. I would like to be able to customize my dashboard to see items of importance to me quickly.

Response from CharityEngine

Whitney, thanks for your feedback. Your organization has been doing amazing things with the CharityEngine platform and we need to make sure that great work is making its way to you and the work you do in your role. Your insights have incredible value and we will be reaching out to help you improve your experience using CharityEngine.

Joanne

Charity Engine recommended

easy to learn the system and utilize.

Pros

Activity Organizational tools and lifetime trends of giving for individuals

Cons

Customizing reports can be cumbersome at times

Response from CharityEngine

Joanne, thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate all of these great scores. It's great to read that CharityEngine is working so well for you. Your feedback about more help customizing reports is greatly appreciated by our training team.

digamber

CharityEngine Review

I have seen improvements over the past 2 years but more can be done. I never had big issues, the CE team is always there to support when needed. Support is great. Overall we have been able to get things done in a timely manner.

Pros

I mostly use the online donation, surveys, and emails. All seems fine but definitely needs lots of improvements. Overall the product works.

Cons

UI is slow, does not give you prompt response, UX needs rethinking.

Response from CharityEngine

Thank you for sharing your insights. We'd value hearing more about your experience from the design side.

Catharine

Industry: Philanthropy

New partnership with Charity Engine

We just partnered with CharityEngine. I asked them to do something with a very short time line and they were wonderful- delivered on time and wonderful to work with. Great product.

Pros

Great team, easy-to-use, looks great for donors

Cons

Nothing at this time- so far Charity Engine has delivered as promised.

Response from CharityEngine

It is wonderful to partner with you, as well. Thank you for the kind review.

Susan

We never got to functionality

Wish I could give a rating of the quality and functionality to CE, but we never got that far. The implementation just didn't deliver, and we had to pull the plug before launch. My advice: ask lots of questions, trust but verify.

Pros

It was accessible, intuitive, and promised all the functionality we needed for our social fundraising campaign.

Cons

We didn't kick the tires thoroughly enough on this product: Some of the core functionalities we expected just weren't there at implementation.

CharityEngine