• Pros

• "Maptitute is a very user friendly, and doesn't take a uni degree to learn to use. It is also powerful enough so I can do some advance analysis, but also easy enough for staff to quickly learn . "

• "This is exceptional software for detailed mapping of almost any kind of data, locally or nationally."

• "Ease of use, bundled data, affordability and pure amazing power."

• Cons

• "The interface is a bit obtuse for a novice GIS user, but at least has remained fairly consistent through the years."

• "The only con I see is you should use a powerful pc for this product, and a big screen to really take advantage of its potential. It may not run well on an older machine. "

• "Can't really think of anything but this is primarily a desktop product. The web offering is not that strong. In fact nobody's is."

Browse Maptitude Reviews

Sheldon Neil from PTQ Consulting

Maptitude's ability to use my data for analysis and visualisation it is phenomenal.

I use Maptitude to conduct drive time analysis and calculate the optimal sequence of serving key locations. This has helped to reduce my dead kilometre cost but also has the added benefit of being able to provide drivers with instructions in the form of left and rights and maps. I use it to extract and analyse demographics for an area I will be serving to understand the makeup of my customers. I create selection sets to apply my analysis on only the set of data I'm interested at that moment. I create heatmaps that shows public transit safety aspects such as accident hot spots, driver abuse from customers etc. One of the interesting case studies I did not long ago was to map all the bus stops we serve and also all public toilets that are within walking distance to the bus stops. This helped my drivers to know where they can have a biological break if they need to during their journey.

Pros

Whenever I need to analyse my data and represent it visually I always go to Maptitude. The software is a GIS that can import, covert and export Google Earth, OpenStreetMap, Esri Shape, MapInfo, GPS, AutoCAD, Excel, Text etc. I've been using Maptitude for more than 13 years and bar TransCad (Caliper Corporations Public Transit Modelling Solution), there is no other GIS software that delivers like this!

Cons

I've compared Maptitude to many other solutions and can honestly say there is no major dislike that I have. If I'm really critical I'd say probably that the Caliper brand name appears on the bottom of the maps I produce (very small), and I'd like to keep secret how I am able to do what I do.

Reasons for Choosing Maptitude

Easy to use and has all the data prepared for me already. Saved me heaps of time.

Response from Caliper

Replied September 2019

Thank you for the feedback on Maptitude mapping software!

Taunya from Kopke & Associates, Inc

Maptitude for Planners

Analysis of demographics, locations, paratransit trip history, etc., to help local governments, committees, and agencies plan and change fixed route patterns, expansion, timing, etc.

Pros

I have been a planning consultant for over 20 years. I highly recommend Maptitude. The learning curve is short - it is the most intuitive but powerful mapping applications I have ever used. Others are fine, they cannot beat the ease of use and functionality of Maptitude. It is easy to create map layers and final presentation maps from scratch with it. And Maptitude comes with map layer data of its own, which is the best I have seen. In addition can import a variety of file types, which is extremely valuable when you are working with local governments using a variety of map formats. This means you can readily combine data from many sources in one map in Maptitude. You will really like working with it.

Cons

I cannot think of a thing I didn't like about it.

Reasons for Choosing Maptitude

Usable with more clients and data sources, ease of for a variety of presentations with a minimal amount of outside graphic presentation.

Reasons for Switching to Maptitude

Because Maptitude is capable of opening and converting a variety of data formats, and the learning curve is great.

Response from Caliper

Replied January 2020

Thank you for the feedback on the #Maptitude mapping software GIS application!

Nick from The Demographer's Workshop

Great value!

Maptitude comes with a wealth of data at an unbelievably inexpensive price. The Australian data, with which I'm most familiar, if bought separately from other sources, would run into the thousands of dollars and I am stunned at the value for money. Please don't think that value for money has compromised functionality or capability! Maptitude has a wealth of analytical features that satisfy my ongoing needs in the area of demographic analysis. Regular in the business/demographic sphere include thematic mapping, route planning, territory design, trade area analysis and location/allocation modelling. A critical area is output and Maptitude has this covered with the ability to produce good quality maps of any size, a wide range of graphics formats and also Kmz/kml output for Google Earth. If there is one criticism, it's that the you can't produce a visual legend for Google Earth and if the exported geographic features have too many points, then they simply won't appear in Google Earth..a point reduction function would be very useful. On the negative side. It is a slightly dated looking package, reminding one of the Windows XP software and it's annoying that you only merge two geographic features at a time, a definite disadvantage if you need to merge data from a variety of sources into one geographic layer. It makes it a bit fiddly. This is not a package just for the professional, full time user. A newbie will find the package relatively easy to learn and the software site comes with a series of tutorials that will allow you to transition from newbie to effective novice relatively easily. That's given us the confidence to recommend Maptitude to non-GIS users such as sales managers, database analysts, franchise managers, advertising planners, retailers and merchandisers. All in all, value for money, good quality output, a wealth of data and functionality and easy to use.

Manfred from PROFIT100 Consulting GmbH

Software + Service + Support sind hervorragend

Pros

Maptitude ist eine sehr gute Lösung für Kunden, die bislang Microsoft MapPoint im Einsatz hatten. Bei auftretenden Fragen oder Problemen hilft Caliper schnell und kompetent. Die HERE Datenbasis ist das non plus ultra.

Cons

Eine intensive Einarbeitung ist notwendig, um alle Features optimal anwenden zu können. Es gibt bislang keine deutsche Sprachversion.

Reasons for Choosing Maptitude

Als Nachfolgesoftware für MapPoint kam nur Maptitude in Betracht.

Reasons for Switching to Maptitude

Microsoft hat 2012 das Programm MapPoint eingestellt und wir suchten für unsere vielen (> 1.000) MapPoint-Kunden ein geeignetes Nachfolgeprodukt.

Raymond from AutoNation

Amazing product at a great value with even better customer service!

I am using the software to Map out where all of our dealership are located throughout the country while mapping out where our competitors are located in order to identify potential acquisition targets. The benefits have been providing invaluable insight to upper management regarding what kinds of opportunities are out there and consequently, giving the company a chance to grow via acquisitions. Moreover, the additional features within Maptitude allows you to identify new areas of growth or new markets to enter given the plethora of demographic data it has embedded within the software. it shows population growth, income levels of population and so so much more. It really provides a high level overview for any user who wants to learn and find out anything about a particular area of the country.

Pros

Maptitude offers a lot of bang for your buck. I did hours of research, looking at different mapping companies before choosing Maptitude and surprisingly, Maptitude is one of the very few companies that allows you to pay a one-time fee only (which is very reasonable given you're getting) and you get lifetime access to the software. Most other companies require you to pay an annual fee which can add up pretty quickly. The mapping software itself is amazing. It is robust, dynamic and does everything you can possibly imagine and then some. It is very user friendly and has a lot of built in features that can help making maps extremely useful as it provides invaluable insights into your data. The best part is after I purchased the product, the amount of customer support I received was fantastic. Every time I had a question, the company would always reply back immediately with a solution. They were very knowledgeable in their product, timely and very helpful. The mapping software is a home run and I could not be happier with the product nor the high level of customer service. Thank you!

Cons

Nothing as of right now. If there are any dislikes, I will be sure to address it to Maptitude first before airing any dirty laundry. More often than not, it is more likely user error that is the cause of any major issues.

Reasons for Switching to Maptitude

Switched because Map Point was old, outdated and no longer being supported. Plus, this product blows Mappoint out of the water in terms of value, functionality and customer service. I have no regrets whatsoever making the switch. Biggest regret was not switching sooner!

Brett from Cardinal Geographics

Maptitude is an excellent geospatial data software package that is aimed at the business user.

The ability to take my Excel data and to look at it spatially to see trends in my data. As a business/economic geography, this software fully meets my mapping needs.

Pros

All of the tools you need to do spatial analysis are included in the software at the base price. No need to pay for costly add-ons or extensions. This includes state, county, MSA, zip code and census tract level line work and data including all 255 Census fields. The user as the ability to do point maps, thematic maps, drive-time rings and advanced spatial and statistical analysis.

Cons

Just some cosmetic tweaks to the legend box, and the ability to do curved flow/desired lines. That aside, I'm a very happy user of the software, as the customer service is top notch.

Bruce from Ownby Research & Consulting, Inc.

Great GIS product

Maptitude is a great program. As a real estate appraiser who primarily values commercial properties, I have found the functions and data provided a great benefit in showing clients what going on in a specific area. Features such exporting data to MS Excel which can be put in my reports.

Pros

Maptitude is easy to learn and use. It has a great deal of data that comes with it which make it easy to create maps showing different trends in specific areas.

Cons

I have really have not found anything negative about the program. it has good documentation and the on-line learning videos are well thought out for learning.

Gary from 4 Star General Contracting Dallas

Maptitude

We are able to graphically analyze or sales data and efforts to better target areas that should produce higher revenue.

Pros

Cons

The learning curve is a little steep and I wish it was a bit more forgiving in the address format, I find that on quite a few addresses I have to modify to fit the software.

Reasons for Choosing Maptitude

This is probably the best mapping software for analytics of sales efforts.

Dan from Telecommunications

Very useful, reasonable price, a little obtuse for novices

We use Maptitude to geocode addresses with fields like county and time zone. Have used it for 10+ years and on the rare occasions we have needed support Caliper responds quickly and solves my problem.

Pros

Maptitude gives us a lot of useful data for a reasonable price. The new 2020 version is noticeably faster on my dataset, what used to take a dozen hours or more now is done in about an hour.

Matt from Great Direct Concepts

Maptitude is best Mapping Solution

We are able to do things with Maptitude that we had not dreamed of doing before (using MapPoint and Territory Mapper). For example, it has been extremely valuable to show our customers the density of their territory by zip code.

Pros

I love the flexibility. Maptitude is an extremely malleable software that can adapt to your specific business. There are so many possibilities, that you can easily create a mapping solution that perfectly meets the need of your business model.

Cons

Because Maptitude has so many possibilities, there is a learning curve with the software. It will take time to set up your maps the way you need them.

Murtaza from Ryerson University

The best value for money for spatial analytics.

Pros

I am more of a spatial analyst than a cartographer. Thus, what attracts me to Maptitude is the ease with which I can perform spatial analysis. Manipulating spatial data by creating spatial overlaps or buffers are just two examples. Once the data are ready, I can easily generate thematic maps, and if needed, run ordinary least squares or binary logit regressions from within Maptitude. In the past, I'd export data as CSV to Stata or R to run regressions. However, with Maptitude, I can test my preliminary hypothesis right there without running the risk of erroneous data translation from one software to another. Given that most if not all spatial data are correlated in space, one may need an estimate for spatial autocorrelation. With Maptitude 2018, I can readily generate Moran's I statistic to test the presence of spatial autocorrelation. The 3D Map feature in Maptitude 2018 is welcome. Now, one can generate a choropleth with two distributions where color may represent one variable and height represents another. As an example see the map at https://twitter.com/search?q=race%20and%20transit%20ridership&src=typd where I have plotted public transit ridership and the percentage of visible minorities in Toronto to highlight that transit ridership is more pronounced in racialized neighbourhoods. Given its strong transportation pedigree, Maptitude remains the best off-the-shelve GIS software for simpler transportation analysis involving networks and facility location.

Cons

Maptitude can be even better if it were to include the following: - The ability to record commands such that point and click exercises automatically generates a script that could be manipulated for repetitive tasks. - The ability to work with Google Maps and other similar APIs. - An integration or coupling with R, Geoda, and Stata

Richard from University of Washington

Maptitude GIS

I am a public health scientist, epidemiologist, who studies the spatial/ geography of disease. This includes dealing with questions concerning disease clusters (e.g. several breast cancer cases in a neighborhood and its location to say, a toxic waste site) , the impact of air quality in some neighborhoods versus others, access to medical care and where people work, etc. When I started using GIS in public health about 20 years ago I started with Maptitude 3.0. I also had access to two other packages, ArcView and MapInfo. I attended a workshop in Iowa that used Maptitude and its cost was less than half of the other brands. (that is still the case) The cost really appealed to my boss and especially since Caliper included census data, rivers, streets, much more whereas the other vendors were charging the proverbial arm and a leg for data. Caliper still does this and includes even more. After a while I started teaching GIS to public health practitioners in my state (WA) and I learned the other packages because sometimes health departments had already bought software but no one knew how to use it. I made up a set of exercises all of which I could do in Maptitude but much to my chagrin about half I could not do in brands X. I taught in summer institutes which were a week long 8 hours/day. I found that by Monday afternoon we were making maps of all kinds and starting to do some really complicated stuff. With the other packages when I taught them it would be Wednesday afternoon before we could tackle the interesting problems. This has not really changed although brands X have improved a lot, but Maptitude has too and remains very easy to use, is stable, and has excellent documentation. You do not have to buy a bunch of extra books to learn how to use it. The PDF manual that comes with it is excellent. You really can teach yourself how to use it even for the most complicated problems. It remains the least expensive, comes with a ton of data, has excellent tech support done by people who get interested in what you are trying to do. But there is one more thing. I have a lot more to do than work (play!) with GIS - which I love to do. Maptitude is logically laid out and designed in a way that the procedures to do this or that stick with me even though sometimes I have to be away from it weeks at a time. Ordinary people can learn to use it; no need to be a GIS wonk. No need to necessarily hire a GIS technician.

Pros

Ease of use, logical sequence of steps for mapping procedures, quick making of several types of thematic maps, well designed procedure for spatial overlay -a critical feature for public health work, integration to Google Maps, routing capability, ease of selecting features, can be connected to ArcMap, 3D maps, buffers, unlimited number of columns and rows in the attribute data (not the case for other GISs- a big deal for public health data which often has 500+ columns) , Caliper's training videos, stability, tech support. Easy to make slides and fancy maps for presentations and publications. It is fast. Geocoding is quite good. I have geocoded a few hundred thousand death certificates in 30 minutes with a very high hit rate, sometimes higher than commercial geocoding companies. Video demos available through the Help menu. Merging, overlay, clipping, the usual GIS functions - straightforward. Provides a connectivity matrix to use for spatial modeling.

Cons

I would like to see more raster map capability, more higher level spatial analysis tools. However there are several open source/access tools which can be integrated with Maptitude to some degree. I would like to see the scripting language changed to Python. The current one is powerful but nothing like Python. The regression package should not be used to model spatial variables if you are interested in a real spatial regression as it does not take into account proximity. But Maptitude does provide a connectivity matrix of several orders which can be used in statistical packages like SAS, Stata, and R.

Len from GeoDataVision LLC

20 year Maptitude user review

The software is the "best bang for the buck" as far as I am concerned and the support from the Caliper tech staff always has been very good. I continue to be amazed at how sophisticated the software is and what we can do with it. After 20 years we are still learning and developing new applications for our bank clients.

Pros

Maptitude is very sophisticated software which nevertheless is easy to use. It also is an incredible value for the cost. Maptitude includes hundreds of demographic variables and no added charge.

Cons

This is difficult question to answer because we like Maptitude so much and we've been using it for more than 20 years. Like most software companies Caliper is always creating new updated versions of its software and for non-technical users like ourselves sometimes we can get a little frustrated learning the new way to do things in the latest versions.

Reasons for Choosing Maptitude

More than 2 decades ago we switched to Maptitude because we recognized it as an incredible value. But I must say it offers incredibly sophisticated analysis (we use "drive time rings" to help banks determine the "practical service area" around their branches for example) that doesn't demand a high level of technical knowledge (we are a small company).

Response from Caliper

Replied August 2019

Thank you for the positive feedback!

Murtaza from Regionomics Inc.

Maptitude: The most affordable resource-rich GIS software

I have been a Maptitude user for over 10 years doing research and teaching the next generation of Spatial Analysts. Maptitude is great value for mone because of the range of spatial analytic tools that come bundled with the main purchase. There is no need to purchase additional expensive add-ins. The software comes bundled with geo-demographic data, street network files, and other data sets primarily focussing on North America and the UK. There are several global data sets available as well. Given that Maptitude is topology-sensitive, it can do spatial analysis that some other GIS cannot. Furthermore, it is very fast with large data sets. Personally, I would like to see two additional features in Maptitude. First, I'd like to see the ability to create a script of the commands being executed so that one could rerun the same analysis by simplifying re-executing the log file on the updated data sets. Second, I'd like to see better integration with the freeware R to extend Maptitude's capabilities. Even without my wishlist, Maptitude packs more functionality than any other desktop GIS know off and at the most affordable price.

Pros

Most affordable. Packed with advanced spatial analytics Comes bundled with geodemographic data

Debbie from Kristen Renee Foundation

Maptitude Makes a Visual Impact

Maptitude maps have been a key component to showing a huge cancer cluster around Fort Detrick with a graphic art picture image. The maps were shown by Senator Muse, D-MD and were instrumental in helping pass legislation for a cancer cluster investigation. When I began using Maptitude I had no clue whatsoever about mapping. I remember my excitement when the first 67 data records popped up on the map. That was a moment of total joy to be able to achieve that since I had no background in mapping - just a strong desire. I also use Maptitude in my current position to show areas of sales for our team.

Pros

The cost of the product as well as ease of use. The ability to visually show graphic locations of what you are trying to say in different formats. Once you have mapped the data, you can then breakdown the map further. The software is adaptable for multiple industries.

Cons

Would like to see more training classes in different parts of the country (Texas would be nice).

Reasons for Choosing Maptitude

I convinced the founder of the non-profit I could create a map showing the cancer victims if he would buy the software for me. We would be able to update our maps and make changes without there being a monthly maintenance fee of $1,500 per month being offered by another company.

Response from Caliper

Replied September 2019

Great to see Maptitude put to such good use!

Arthur from The University of Alabama

Maptitude review

I am a marketing professor. I use Maptitude for introducing the concepts of spatial data to graduate marketing research students. I use Maptitude in my own research. I analyze spatial data for student projects. I use Maptitude in practitioner research in my work with city governments on revitalization and economic development projects.

Pros

Everything. It is seamless, geocodes well, has every feature available in ARCGIS that most users would ever need, saves maps as JPegs if desired, imports and exports data back and forth to and from Excel, allows Dataviews to be edited from other geographic files (counts of point data within areas, distances from points or area centroids, etc.), allows color combinations based on templates or user choices, and even allows users to tap into Census data and upload area data at the block level. In addition, the datasets that Caliper makes available for free for users are amazing, from features of interest, healthcare data, businesses by brand and type, and so on.

Cons

I have been using Maptitude for so long that it is second nature to me, but I would imagine that there is some learning curve in understanding the basic layering features of any GIS package. But I truly prefer it to ARCGIS.

Terry from Key Compliance Services LLC

Maptitude "Mic Drop"

The recipients of my maps are often thrilled with what I create. I love easily whipping up a map and hearing the applause! I would have to say, Maptitude makes for a great mapping experience!

Pros

The most important thing about this software, for me, is that I can make a beautiful map without being a computer expert! I have a very basic knowledge of navigating around my computer. Learning how to use Maptitude was not difficult.

Cons

I know this is very picky, but I use the color palette in my work and I have a hard time finding just the right shade sometimes. The selection is huge but, nevertheless, I have a difficult time choosing. I always think the color selections are too similar. Also, the color is not saturated enough for my taste.

Preston from Business Information Services, LLC

Maptitude is the BEST GIS software going, hands down

We use Maptitude to generate super-colorful and readable maps quickly, using lots of disparate data. It continues to exceed our expectations as to what it can do. It is our best investment--hands down--every year and was our smartest business decision to move away from ESRI ArcView to this product.

Pros

Easy to learn and use, lots of functionality, able to perform nearly any GIS need that you'd have, and the price is just outstanding. It is priced at about half to one-fourth of the competition and has all the functionality.

Cons

Can't think of anything. Been a user for four years and have never had a complaint--me or my staff.

Larry from Databasics

Have used it for 22 years for hundreds of GIS projects

Pros

It is a super-stable, powerful, easy to use, highly productive GIS. The speed at which it can manipulate data and display and label maps is amazing. It makes beautiful, colorful, well-labeled maps and if you really want to customize and automate your app you can use the built in GISDK language which has wonderful development and debugging tools. Their support is great also!

Gabrielle from Northern Arizona University

Industry: Research

A good alternative if you cannot afford ArcGIS

This is a very popular software for a reason. Unless you need to do some heavy programming, Maptitude will do what you need it to.

Pros

This is a very versatile software that is user friendly if you have used ArcGIS before. Despite being more affordable, its capabilities in terms of spatial analyses are just as efficient. Although I have not used it for census data, I have noticed that it has a great database of census data and allows for very good demographic analyses. I also like the themes that come in Maptitude.

Cons

Although there are tutorials and manuals, I do not think they are of the same quality as Arc's. I do think that they could be improved as updates are made with the software. This is especially needed for those who do not have a GIS background and are beginners in mapping and spatial analysis. An "undo" feature would be really useful in this software. File directories can become very cluttered, and so a more seamless file connection and record could be investigated.

Response from Caliper

Replied February 2019

Hi, Gabrielle: Thank you for the positive review! We love to hear feedback and are responding to these requests. For example, we have just launched a new learning portal to assist new users: https://www.caliper.com/learning/ Also, in regards to file directories, Maptitude 2019 is now the only professional GIS to have an Office style single document for your mapping work. No more multiple GIS file creation! Maptitude allows you to save to a compressed workspace file (wrkz) which can also be easily shared. Let us know what you think.

Jim from Chain Store Advisors

Maptitude - The Ultimate Geospatial Productivity Tool for Business

I've used almost every GIS ever made starting in the early 1990's. The big question when approaching an analysis has always been "is the result worth the effort?" The things that slow you down are usually 1)finding and loading data, 2)finding and running procedures that do what's needed, and 3)making maps that tell the story. I've been using Maptitude since it came out in 1995 and it's always been the best tool for all three of these tasks. All of the data needed for most business analysis come with the package. The functionality is extremely robust, especially for the price, including advanced features in their more expensive TransCAD. Maybe the most important strength is the ease of making great looking maps that meet the needs of any presenter or audience (thanks to the powerful automatic labeling features). Maps and tables can be printed directly from Maptitude, but they can also easily be transferred to Excel, Powerpoint, or desktop publishing software. Like all GIS software packages, there is a learning curve for some functions. Joining data is fairly easy but the dialog boxes can get cluttered when multiple joins appear in the drop-down list with truncated descriptions or cryptic labeling such as :1, :2, :3. But the learning curve is MUCH less steep than ArcGIS or MapInfo, and the price difference is very large, especially considering the bundled data and advanced functionality. Bottom line: given Maptitude, Excel, and Powerpoint, the average GIS user can almost always be confident that the effort will be worth the result.

Matt from South Pacific Property Advisors

Affordable, easy to use, but powerful

I work in Real Estate market analysis. Maptitude has many tools for demographic and location analysis. I can pull population data within drive bands, radius, or various other ways. I create awesome visual maps that clients love. I have also done little more complex retail gravity huff model for regional shopping centres.

Pros

I can easily and quickly produce detailed bespoke demographic reports of areas I want and can customise to my company look. Maps look like from professionl map designer.

Cons

Ghe time it takes to convert from shapefiles to compact files for very large cafastral files. But I am talking about hundred of thousand parcels / polygons. It can can a few hours on my regular laptop (Not dedicated his computer)

Mike from Ribbon Demographics

Industry: Market Research

Using Maptitude for Data

We have been able to make our data much more accessible to our clients by attaching our data to the Maptitude mapping program.

Pros

The ability to process large data sets.

Cons

The scaling and naming of streets sometimes makes it difficult to visually find streets. The search engine also does not deal well with misspellings.

Anthony from Blamotech LLC

Great business tool for any marketing company

I would say my overall experience with using this is definitely positive! Marketers you should get it and make it part of your process!

Pros

This system was awesome. I use to use it at a print and mail shop I worked at. We would upload mail lists and select data from the map to target areas for advertising. We also integrated it with custom inhouse software. It was really easy to use as well. If you can use excel, or word, then you can use this. Just awesome!

Matt from South Pacific Property Advisors

User Friendly - making meaningful quality maps within an hour

I have used Maptitude since late 1990s for my real estate consultancy work that covers over a dozen countries on three continents. Some of my work has been in very remote countries, but Maptitude and other open source data I have been able to create spatial maps that have impressed my clients.

Pros

Cons

Really hard question - as I am a big fan of Maptitude.

Mike from MapCruzin

Absolutely the best GIS

I've been using Maptitude since the first beta version came out about 30 years ago. I had a project mapping toxic data points across the nation and maptitude was the only GIS that could handle it and it was, to tell the truth, the only one I could afford. Since then many companies have sent me GIS programs in an attempt to switch but none yet come even close to the power and ease of use of Maptitude. Absolutely the best.

Pros

Ease of use, bundled data, affordability and pure amazing power.

Cons

Nothing to report. Absolutely the best hands down.

Richard from Winwaed Software Technology LLC

February 2015

Affordable and powerful geospatial analysis

With the demise of Microsoft's MapPoint product, we are currently recommending that our users move to Maptitude. Compared to MapPoint, Maptitude is much more powerful and flexible. For example, a common complaint of MapPoint was that it was difficult to customize a map display; whilst with Maptitude, all parts of the map display and data themes are configurable. Maptitude also supports a much wider range of analysis and display tools. From the programming side, the API is also much more flexible. On the downside, this greater functionality does increase the learning curve. Of course this also applies for pretty much all the GIS systems on the market. Caliper have helped by producing a range of online videos and free 'webinar' courses; and provide their own live training courses. Their support is also excellent - some of the best I've seen. There are a number of low cost or free geospatial systems on the market with varying range of functionality. Now that MapPoint is no longer available, Maptitude is the only one that supports affordable driving distance calculations suitable for batch processing. Yes online services like Google and Bing offer this, but they will charge you $100s-$1000s for relatively small numbers of routes.

Federico from Pronto Insurance

Best custom Mapping software

High quality custom maps without the programing background.

Pros

No programing skills and still able to produce custom maps. Maps can be exported to pdf to any custom size

Cons

Customer support can be sometimes very cold. They respond as if the question you ask is not important or obvious.

Ben from Selco

Great but lacking a few features

Pros

easy to use and speedy to map comparable for ease of use to the discontinued MapPoint but offers lots of stronger features. The Video tutorials are a really good resource (they dont cover everythign however)

Cons

Would prefer the ability to print large scale maps with street level detail Leader lines for clustered pins would be handy to help identify places Web offering/sharing zoomable maps not on par with competitors (Maptive) a bias towards US mapping

Response from Caliper

Replied October 2017

Hi, Ben! Maptitude allows you to print large scale maps with street level detail. See "How Do I Use Layouts to Create a Wall Sized Map May 2015" here: http://www.caliper.com/maptitude/tips-and-tricks.htm#collapseMay15 . Our web sharing tools will take a massive leap early next year- stay posted!

July 2015

Rudy from SmartZip Corporation

July 2015

Maptitude Excels

Maptitude Review [Short version] : Maptitude excels in the GIS software landscape due to its ease of use, intuitive GUI (familiar Windows interface first developed by Xerox and Apple in the 1980s), universal cut-copy-paste features (within and outside software, OS complying) and due diligence to database management protocol. It follows strict adherence to topology avoid the geometric pitfalls of shapefile based GIS. Spatial analysis tools are capable of handling very large datasets that are only limited by memory and processor speeds. Unlimited geocoding, complex spatial queries using without programming language knowledge and high quality cartography makes Maptitude a few standard deviations above the industry average and the GIS software to beat. (see longer review at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1VIDFCJR41YV7/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00GDDLNF4 )

Douglas from Montana Team

Easy, powerful, and inexpensive.

A variety of graphic displays of geographic information.

Pros

Not only is Maptitude easy to learn and low cost for a GIS software, it is quite powerful. Many features in Maptitude that might require buying a suite of products produce by other GIS software publishers. And never been stumped by a bug.

Cons

While graphic features are fine, the output is not as elegant or subtle as some of its competitors.

Kirsten from Aricia Limited

Cost-effective GIS for business analysis

Maptitude is excellent for doing geographic analysis projects looking at: where existing customers are and new ones might be (including using the built-in demographic data); identifying hot-spots, patterns and trends that can't be seen in Excel. It is really helpful with network design tasks - which sites are best: centres of gravity; visualising size of flows between distribution centres; allocating volume to different depots. If you're coming to Maptitute from a GIS background, I think you'll be impressed with what you get for your money. If you're coming to it from MapPoint or you haven't used GIS before, then it can take some time and the right head to be able to use the package. Either way, you can ask for a free demo, so you can see what you're getting.

Andre from SLLM Pizza

Maptitude --- amazing and insightful

Program works great. You can easily import or export data to Excel. Very easy to learn and get up and running.

Pros

If you are looking to expand a retail business with new locations, do not try doing it without using Maptitude. Among other things, Maptitude allows you to evaluate potential locations anywhere in the U.S. (also internationally) and examine the demographic profile of customers based on location parameters that you set. In addition, it allows you to map competitor locations and other locations that may be pertinent to your analysis. Basically, it takes the guesswork out of selecting a business location.

Cons

I do not have any cons to add to this review.

Gustavo from Unesp-Bauru

GIS technology for everyone

I have worked with Caliper products for 10 years as a transportation/urban planner and they have always fulfilled my needs. Maptitude/TransCAD software are easy to use, organized and robust: able to cope with large datasets without any problems. The user interface is very clear and easy to understand. The exchange of data and databases across several formats is also very simple and functional. The two-way direct link with Google Earth makes my projects look really interesting. I have adopted Maptitude in my GIS classes and it has been a great success with the students. They get excited in learning the geoprocessing techniques with such a technology that Maptitude provides.

Paul from Lucassen-Consulting

February 2015

Maptitude, my preferred GIS!

I tested several GIS packages, faced with the discontinuation of MapPoint, that I used for over 10 years. Maptitude has become my preferred GIS program, offering so much more in power, flexibility, and ease of use. My overall impression of the software is very positive indeed. Pros: excellent geocoding; yearly updates; huge set of color themes and pushpins; dataview; built in help files, useful add-ins; excellent customer service; stability; data compatibility. Cons: lack of a European map, to date only country packages are available; longer learning curve although this is not really a bad thing but associated with the myriad of useful possibilities.

Heewon from The University of Tennessee

Industry: Research

It is a great software for students with spatial interest.

Maptitude is not only the easiest tool for spatial analysis, but also one of the greatest one for student and business, ether.

Pros

The caliper provide tons of practical data with this program and continuously update the data up to date.

Cons

It's only available for one year. It would be better if customers can use the program and data continuously.

Response from Caliper

Replied August 2018

Hi- Maptitude can definitely be used for more than one year. Contact us and we would be happy to look into your license. It may be a student license, which can definitely be extended.

Kellye from Coast Realty Associates

Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Just What We Needed

Overall the software is great, and customer service is helpful. We got 90% of what we needed for about 3% of the price we would have spent otherwise. I can make maps almost identical to those I previously made with ESRI's products.

Pros

We were looking for a cheap replacement for ESRI Business Analyst, and Maptitude has all of our commonly used features, as well as up to date demographic, traffic, and competition data.

Cons

The drive time rings can only be done in intervals. Making layouts is not as easy as building a map in ArcMap.

Response from Caliper

Replied August 2018

Glad the software is able to meet your needs! We will soon be making the competition data even more comprehensive, and still for the same price!

Murray from University of North Texas

Excellent, user-friendly GIS package

I've been a Maptitude user since the 1990s. I've found the software to be user-friendly and powerful, and if you have followed Caliper for any length of time you will find they are constantly adding useful features. On top of all this, Maptitude also includes an excellent set of country-specific data. Superb value for money, and really even ignoring price this is a powerful package. Five stars from me.

Pros

Power, user-friendliness, included data.

Cons

Still lags behind Esri in terms of user base, but I get the sense that the user base is growing.

May 2016

Sioux from Retired but still a Maptitude User

May 2016

Maptitude is the Best for Ease of Use and Affordability

I have used Maptitude exclusively in my 20+ years in health/hospital planning. It has been indispensable in my work. Mapping data oftentimes tells the story in a way other modes can't do. I was very excited at the prospect of being able to make custom maps efficiently with all the 'virtual' cartographic tools a health planner would need. Maptitude exceeded my expectations in both the product and the quality of support offered. If you know nothing about GIS and its power, and even if you do, the training is worth the money and effort.

Metric from MetricMaps

Maptitude is great GIS software

I've been using maptitude for several years now in health care network analysis---I can't recommend it highly enough for evaluating the adequacy of a health care network--such as relationships from providers to people who need the care. The visual are awesome, and it's fairly easy to learn the software. Customer support is always prompt to fix a problem, and the support in getting help online is great.

Pros

Ease of use, preloaded census data, flexible tools,

Cons

Can't think of any

December 2015

Mark from EBSCO Research, LLC

December 2015

Feature-Rich GIS Software with a Logical User Interface

Maptitude has an incredible number of potential applications. My company purchased it as a major upgrade to the discontinued Microsoft MapPoint. After discovering how much easier it is to accomplish what I did in MapPoint using Maptitude, I am discovering uses for it that were not considered during the time of purchase. I am only scratching the surface of Maptitude's potential applications, and their support team has been incredibly helpful along the way.

Eduardo from Universidad Bolivariana de Venezuela

The best way to analyze the market in the territory

It make my work too much easy and effective

Pros

With a lot of visualization features you can create your own custom sales territory and focus your strategies in a very easy a effective way,

Cons

I could say create more customizable features but still have a lots and it look like they are still working on that every day. Great team

Response from Caliper

Replied June 2018

Thank you for the positive review! We would love to provide you the best Customer Support. Please contact us at the email provided so that we can work on better assisting you.

Saige from Dental Marketing and Management Group L.L.C. (DMMG)

Best Value of GIS

So we needed a product that would allow us to map where our customers are located and be able to analyze demographics. Overall, considering this is a one time buy and not a SaaS, it has excellent value. The ability to overlay your data with demographic information is awesome.

Charlotte from University of New South Wales

Smooth customer service experience

My experience with Caliper was very smooth, the team responded very promptly to our enquiry, and were both accommodating and professional. For a busy research team, their customer service was both helpful and discerning, seamlessly reacting to our situation. Thank you, I look forward to using Maptitude!

Mandi from Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis

Maptitude is an Excellent GIS Software

Maptitude loads quickly and is a user-friendly GIS software with excellent spatial analysis capabilities. My GIS professor prefers it to any other GIS software and is never shy in pointing out where it shines in comparison to the competition. It is much more reasonably priced as well!

Colin from Rochester Insitute of Technology

March 2015

Fast and helpful customer service!

I emailed the sales team with three questions about Maptitude, inquiring as to whether or not it would be useful for my PhD project. In under 10 minutes they replied with helpful answers to my questions. Excellent customer service, and look forward to using their product!

Gabrielle from Butler University

Excellent, prompt customer service

I emailed asking a question about beginning my experience with Caliper, and I was very impressed to receive an extremely prompt, thorough, and helpful reply within less than a half hour! Thank you for your excellent customer service; I really appreciate it!

David from Wingate University

Great customer service!

As a student researcher for the summer, I contacted them about a possible student discount. They have donate a copy for free! Thank you for supporting academics! I'm excited to use this software - Will update after I use the product.

James from Florida State University

Excellent Software

I have had nothing but great experiences in my dealings with Caliper's customer service. When I have a question or request it has never been longer than one business day to get a a reply and generally much less than that.

Ashley from College

Quickest & best service I've received in a long time

I am very impressed with Maptitude's response time and service level. It's rare that a company responds to inquiries so efficiently. The assistance they provided me was amazing!