DiscoverText Software Reviews

DiscoverText Software Reviews

Find out more:

Find out more:

• icon"The customer service is absolutely fantastic - very quick, friendly responses that contain very useful information. Go above and beyond the call."
  • icon"As a student using DiscoverText in a class, it was great to get a taste for the software without having to purchase."
  • icon"That's why export function (excel format) is suitable to academic scholars. Basic statistics and graph are also nice because they give insights on the data."
  • icon"It was hard to navigate at times and didn't always feel intuitive."
  • icon"Sometimes I get lost in the platform because there are so many modes to work with."
  • icon"The platform was under threat of no longer getting access to the full stream of the Twitter Firehose that is increasing its costs. It would have been a shame had DiscoverText disappeared."

Browse all DiscoverText Reviews

• Have you used DiscoverText and would like to share your experience with others?

Wasim

Superb cloud-based software tool with powerful text analytics with social media integration.

It allowed me to conduct research that otherwise would not have been possible including both industry and academic projects.

Pros

The ability for those from the social sciences to be able to import and/or retrieve social media data, including historical data from Twitter, and analyse the data in order to answer research questions. This is because other tools may require a computer science background. Consequently, DiscoverText has been used in answering important social science questions leading to peer reviewed outputs. Over the years I have seen many tools appear and slowly wither away, however, DiscoverText has stood the test of time and has been growing in popularity. DiscoverText is not limited to academic uses and has a number of neat uses in the commercial world. A useful feature applicable to the commercial domain is the ability to retrieve and/or import data from Twitter and identify influential Twitter users, with the additional ability to use machine learning to sift influential users into different groups. For example, a football club may be interested to find out whether influential users are fans of the club or whether it is opposition fans causing a storm. To the best of my knowledge, no other tool is capable of doing this with this level of accuracy.

Cons

To be fair this is not a limitation of DiscoverText per se, as this is a restriction from Twitter, but there is a limit to how many units of tweets can be exported per day. This is not a major issue because there are enough features in DiscoverText that you may not necessarily need to export the data. This is particularly true with a recent integration with NodeXL which provides the ability to export directly to a format supported by NodeXL.

Christine

Industry: Environmental Services

A much better way to scrape data than learning how to code an API

I'm a PhD candidate who straddles the Humanities and Social Sciences, so I use DiscoverText as a research tool.

Pros

My review of DiscoverText is a bit limited because I'm really only using it for Twitter. That said, the features are incredible. I know a bit about coding, but the prospect of learning JSON to use Twitter's API was doable but daunting. When I came across DiscoverText I was so pleased to find a way to search, use, and categorize Twitter data that made sense and would save me A LOT of time. I didn't anticipate getting access to so much useful metadata that was easy to navigate and use, so I was pleasantly surprised. The built-in bucket and dataset features are great ways to organize the massive amount of Twitter data that can be collected. The ability to code the data with peers within DiscoverText is also super useful. I really can't exaggerate how many features DiscoverText has that I didn't think I would need but have used to improve the quality of my scholarship.

Cons

The software has many features that I didn't find on my own, so the UI could be improved a bit. That said, the one-on-one tutorial that the founder provides helps mitigate this issue. The tutorial videos are helpful too! You'll just have to be prepared to set aside a few hours to really learn the program.

Response from Texifter

Dear Christine, It is really hard to express how inspirational a review like this is. You have really made our day. We are looking at 2019 trying to decide if this is the year to build v2 of a 9 year old interface. Thanks for embracing buckets & datasets; this was a tough sell to some folks over the years, but they are critical to User success. We are very grateful you took the time to write this generous review. Please write us if we can do anything for you. Thanks, ~Stu

Replied January 2019

Katarina

Great for analyzing social media data- just not offline documents.

Pros

If you need to analyze data from social media and survey monkey- it's a great tool. You can search for content by keywords and the data drops in per the chosen frequency. It breaks down keywords and phrases to a list in order of use- where you can drill into each word or phrase to see where it's used and also toggle between different ways of displaying the results.

Cons

I got the trial version to see if it would suit my purpose; I required a tool to analyze and cluster data from articles and other sources but just couldn't get it to work. If the trial period had been longer than 3 days ( I thought I signed up for 30- it's not very clear) I might have had time to figure it out. Better instructions would have helped. The instructions tell you what the features are, not why you need to use them which is not helpful for novice users.

Response from Texifter

Katarina, Sorry for the confusion about the length of the free trial. It was 30-days for many years and we changed it to 3 only recently. Please send a request to info@texifter.com and I will send you a 6-month license. For details about the features, we suggest you review some of the support materials: https://texifter.zendesk.com/hc/en-us As to why use the tools, perhaps review the tutorials: https://discovertext.com/tutorials/ You might also find some answers as to why use the tools here, in the 200+ academic citations of the tools: https://discovertext.com/publications/ Finally, I am available for 1-1 web trainings: https://calendly.com/discovertext So, I think you may not have fully tried to use all the customer support options. We work very hard to make sure newcomers get comfortable quickly. Stu

Replied September 2018

Hossein

Honestly,I can say DiscoverText makes analyzing social data not only easier, but also more enjoyable

It provides me more opportunities for working on my projects. Using it, I have access to many ways for doing research on social media data which have not before.

Pros

First, it is so easy to learn and use. Moreover, the DiscoverText founders provided some helpful tutorials and educational videos which are so handy and helpful. This software allows users to makes several datasets of one project. This enables a researcher to work on multi-dimentions of a certain project needless to create different ones. Furthermore, you can create a sample of your data very easily by making a dataset. Its buckets are very interesting also. Additionally, you can make some clouds of data by using cloud explorer feature. Finally, Clustering option is great! it makes working on big data easy and shows the main trends in them quickly.

Cons

As I can say, sometimes users may get confused by many links and pages. So, maybe finding what you want becomes difficult and you have to try some ways. Another con, in my point of view, is the obscurity of metadata meanings and algorithms. I cannot understand what some of the means and how they are calculated. Furthermore, I think some of metadata can be presented in some more useful ways. But at all, I should confess the metadata explorer is a great ability!

Response from Texifter

Thanks Hossein for an excellent review. We are preparing a new blog post now with a Metadata Dictionary for Gnip Twitter data. We agree that some of the fields are a bit confusing and we hope this new blog post will make the meaning of some of the fields more transparent.

Morgan

Industry: Research

Discover Text for academic study

Discover text has been an incredible resource to explore crisis communication. The founder is particularly dedicated to his product and has held numerous one on one tutorial sessions for me.

Pros

The advanced filtration tool allows you to sort of metadata tags like the geolocation of a tweet, which is extremely useful for academic work. This software is a great platform for an engineering academic like me to ease into the fields of text analytics and sentiment analysis.

Cons

Like any software there is a learning curve for Discover text. Rely on the vast tutorial library to get through tasks., and sometimes the distinctions between data levels (buckets vs datasets) can be confusing.

Response from Texifter

Morgan, That is a very generous review. You are right that as a founder, the software acquires the status of a family member; almost a beloved child. There was a time "buckets" were on the chopping block (not my idea) and I fought it. Buckets are critical parts of projects. Here is how I explain it to people now: ARCHIVES: Raw text and metadata (static or live feeds updating) that can be manipulated without changing the raw data archive. BUCKETS: Sub-sets of raw data (search, filter, code, cluster, classify and then mix and match techniques to make buckets). DATASETS: Samples for human coding and machine learning. One advantage to this structure is continual LOW-RISK experimentation. Try one pathway, if it works, keep going, if not, try an alternate route informed by previous failures. People often ask: what comes first? Once the data is loaded, that is up to you. There is no A,B, C path the same for all. The platform supports qual, quant, and mixed methods.

Replied February 2019

Gabriela

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

I've been using it for several years for analyzing customer data and Twitter data.

It's easy to create and code a dataset, and it is a particularly useful software to work with a team of coders in the same dataset.

Pros

My favorite feature about this software is the fact that it allows multiple coders to easily work on a coding project. So if you have a lot of data, you can load the data on DiscoverText, set up some codes, and have several people work at the same time with coding. It will provide you with a report of what each coder did for how long etc, and also will allow you to export the results. You can also import data directly from Twitter using the search API. Coders can see the actual tweet when coding, which helps speed up the coding process. You can also export the data to NodeXL in order to generate social graph and calculate social network analysis metrics. For a fee, it is also possible to get access to GNIP and the entire historical archive of tweets. DiscoverText is not limited to Twitter, you can import data from other sources (including SurveyMonkey). As a researcher working with Twitter, for me the most valuable tool is the ability to easily create and code a Twitter dataset.

Cons

Sometimes it will let two coders work on the same item if they access the item at the same time. Not allowing this could speed up the process.

Rubens

Industry: Public Policy

May 2022

Easy to use and powerful display

Very useful and easy to use. It save a lot of time and effort and allow you to get to the analysis easily.

Pros

It is very helpful to get the data from Twitter and sort results without programming. It offers basic stats and charts based on the data retrieved and the opportunity to easily group it according to the researcher interest. Display visually the Tweet as shown in Twitter, allowing to keep the sense of it, but in addition offers all the metadata in a convenient form.

Cons

Some minor UX details (i.e. page after reloading sometimes hide some tabs or does not jump to the top of the data displayed). When filtering data, it doesn't allow to combine some metadata fields (i.e. location declared in bio), so you must filter data step by step.

Response from Texifter

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I agree there are a few display issues that need an update and you are correct to point them out.

Max

It's a great tool to code big or even vast amounts of data in an efficient way. It work very well!

Pros

It is easy to use, very intuitive, it gives you the basic options and functions in a clear design. Through the annotation tool, it is easy to amend the existing coding scheme and hint to anything problematic. This way you can also easily communicate with other users who you work on a project with. I really like the elegance of the program! It works very well for both rather simple (even binary) and truly elaborate and detailed coding schemes.

Cons

the only real problem I encountered was that it can be annoying to jump back to an already coded item (for instance if you realized you made a mistake or want to add an annotation): if you use the "back" function it brings you to the previous numerical item which might not be the one you coded but one someone else is coding at the same time. Then you have to keep clicking "back" until your item reappears. This should be fixed. It is, however, a rare issue.

Response from Texifter

Max, Thanks for this idea and the generous review. It makes perfect sense and we will engineer a solution for that immediately. Stu

Replied June 2018

Sezgi

June 2022

An amazing software for social media & network analysis!

It is great to see how Stu supports academics and researchers, I was able to recommend the tool to colleagues in another University who were also given free and high-capacity licenses. We are hoping to pursue a research project on the markers of parochial empathy observed through Twitter data of users commenting on Syrian refugees in Turkey in the next 6 months using DiscoverText. DiscoverText bonding Temple University`s communication program with Bilkent University`s!

Pros

It is incredibly easy to collect and clean data in different types and formats. I particularly worked with Twitter and newspaper data and found it particularly useful for picking out the pertinent content (e.g. hate and support discourses towards refugees within the context of Turkish users). I was able to download the data to use it with Gephi and come up with invigorating network illustrations. Also nice to be able to label the data on the software and create multiple archives.

Cons

Exporting the data as an excel sheet :( I know I can do it but somehow I need to check the tutorials and my emails to figure out how to do it, could playing around with the design of the option help?

Reasons for choosing DiscoverText

Price, functionality, ease of communication

Response from Texifter

This is a generous review and we are grateful. I would be happy to host a meeting to go over the export features and I will make a note to add a video to the tutorials.

Saadia

June 2022

Excellent for mining twitter data.

Pros

The software is very easy to use. The best feature is that you get to see tweet as the tweets are supposed to look like. An excel sheet takes the charm away. This is why I can spend hours and hours reading the data without losing interest.

Cons

It would be better if the filtering steps were linked. As of now I have to use the folding criteria to narrow things down and look at the count of tweets but I can’t immediately use the same filters for actual sub setting of data

Response from Texifter

That is excellent feedback. We actually do have an advanced multi-factor filter in beta that just needs to be released so this serves as a good reminder to get it out to all users. Under the current system you can filter by one criteria to a bucket then apply a second filter to the items in the bucket, successively "stacking" the filters.

Brittany

DiscoverText is a great tool for collecting, sorting, and analyzing data

Pros

DiscoverText is a great tool for collecting, sorting, and analyzing data. The platform allows for collection of data from various networks, such as Twitter. I mainly use the platform for coding and machine-classification of tweets. The import feature allows for integration between DiscoverText and other interfaces. For a client project, our data was collected from another toolkit and formatted in an Excel CSV. We were able to import the data into DiscoverText and use the platform to code and machine-classify the tweets. When working with multiple coders, the platform enables you to quickly and efficiently measure inter-coder reliability, which is helpful to determine validity of codes and which categories may need re-classification. I also like the export feature, which allows you to export coding/classification reports. The platform produces different visualizations (e.g. pie charts/graphs) of the coding breakdown, or you can export the entire report into another file (such as a CSV). Overall, I've had a great experience using DiscoverText for both in-class and client research projects. I will continue to use the platform for future research projects, especially the coding and machine-classification functionalities!

Cons

When first using the software, it could be a little difficult for a beginning user to identify where all of the features are located and their specific purpose (e.g. exporting reports, buckets, duplicating a dataset). However, the training sessions, video tutorials, and manuals are very insightful and can help immensely with learning of the new features. As with any new platform, it just takes a bit of time to learn all of the features!

Response from Texifter

Thanks very much for this detailed review Brittany. As always, if we can do anything to help, drop us a line or schedule a web meeting. Best, ~Stu

Replied March 2018

Antonia

Industry: Research

Unique tool for academic research with a wide range of features

We are an academic institution using Discovertext to study social media use related to disaster preparedness and response. We’ve used the platform to code, filter, classify and analyze historical Twitter data (about 1.5 million tweets), which has opened new opportunities in academic research of social media use. We have used collaborative coding processes and individual coding, the combination of which makes this platform a unique tool for data analysis. We hope it continues to exist and improve as it provides a great service for research like ours.

Pros

- The software allows to code and machine-classify thousands of tweets per day through its filtering, search and other advanced features. - The fact that is cloud-based makes it very convenient to work collaboratively with very large amounts of data from anywhere. - The metadata and tag cloud features are very useful throughout the whole coding and analysis processes. Customer support is great and normally very timely.

Cons

The software has many extremely useful features, but sometimes it has been hard to keep track of exactly how to use them and where to find them, especially because they are constantly evolving as the developers improve existing features, and add new features and functionalities. It would be helpful to have online User Manual that contains the exact way to use function, what each function does, and how to access them easily.

Response from Texifter

Dear Antonia, It has been a pleasure working with your group and I hope the research continues to bear fruit for you and the team. We are very grateful for this careful and thoughtful review. Regards, ~Stu

Replied April 2019

A perfect tool to explore, collect, search, store, manage, code and classify the Twitter universe.

The ability to work with Twitter data.

Pros

As a social scientist, I lack the computational skills to work with Twitter data. In fact, Im not interested in doing data science, I want to do social science. DiscoverText allows me to collect and analyze large batches of Twitter data. Many of my colleagues spend hours having students copy and paste tweets into the Excel. DiscoverText is a breeze.

Cons

There are a number of different classification algorithms like linear or logistic regression, decision tree, SVM, and random forest. DiscoverText just uses naive bayes. I wish the software allowed for more different types of these algorithms.

Response from Texifter

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We do have a long term road map that calls for exactly what you are asking for. It is my hope that we can launch a new extension of the platform to host other classifiers. We agree that the inclusion of other approaches would represent an exciting next step in the evolution of the platform. We literally aspire to be the iTunes of machine classifiers ;-) So, I promise it will happen some day. For now, the uClassify engine that we license is working great on all languages and in all sorts of projects. ~Stu

Jim

We have been using the software to study twitter conversations on immigration going back to 2013.

Easy data capture

Pros

It's ability to capture tweets and now the capacity to export to NodeXL gives us two tools that we use together to study the content and structure of immigration conversations onTwitter.

Cons

At times navigating the menus is counter-intuitive as is some of the terminology. Archives, buckets, datasets all kind of run into one another.

Response from Texifter

Dear Jim, Thanks for your and the generosity of your Tweets. We really appreciate that! I'd like the opportunity to visit GMU to make the case that archives, buckets, and datasets are essential parts of the text analytics methods we have engineered. Please email info@texifter.com if you would like to host a free workshop. Briefly: - Archives are raw data. - Buckets are subsets of raw data. - Datasets are coded by humans. Most projects proceed from 1 or more archives, to many buckets, to a series of codeable datasets. For example: - Collect 100,000 #metoo tweets - Deduplicate the archive - Create a bucket of seeds and singles - Search the bucket for key terms - Create a new bucket with results - Create a dataset and code it for relevance - Train a relevance classifier - Apply the classifier to new archive samples - Repeat as needed The key point is that raw data is messy in the archives, cleaner in buckets, and fully refined and classified in datasets.

Replied January 2018

Easy and intuitive research tool, great for qualitative research that involves social media data

Quick way to collect and analyse data, also very mobile phones and tablets friendly.

Pros

Well again, DiscoverText is really intuitive to use, I did read and look at some videos before using it but it wasn't necessary. I have used other qualitative analysis software and although they were a little different, I would say that DiscoverText is the easiest to get familiar with, just set up your themes, categories and start coding. Also something to consider in my opinion is the ease to navigate through the website, not overly complicated, nice blue/gray theme that won't feel heavy after hours spent on the PC.

Cons

Only one maybe, if there are a few coders coding at the same time the same project the software can become a little slower.

Response from Texifter

Dear Reviewer, Thanks for this delightful take on the interface. Reading reviews, it is often the case that users underestimate what it might take to overhaul the front end. We would like to, but a bigger company tried in 2013, spent $1M, then gave up, so for now we tinker at the edges to make the experience usable. I think you are absolutely on target about our goal not to overcomplicate coding (labeling, tagging, or annotation to some). Out first open source tool was devoted to recording observations about text with minimal interaction with a mouse (hence the keystroke coding). Since then, many layers of functionality have emerged, but at teh core, it is the interface for displaying text/Tweets, the auto-loading of items to be coded, and the project management/measurement features, that are the kernel of our success. Thanks, Stu

Replied June 2018

Patricia

Industry: Fund-Raising

DiscoverText is unique--it has the best mix of human coding and machine learning I have found.

Combines data collection, human coding, machine coding and then easily exports to other software packages for additional analysis. Saves a huge amount of time.

Pros

The dashboard allows our lab group to see multiple projects at once and keep track of the data feeds so we know how quickly we are collecting data on particular topics. It also has many useful functions like tracking topics over time, data cleaning support, analyzing social media meta-data and exporting data into other tools like NodeXL.

Cons

Most everything is pretty intuitive and support is very fast. My biggest challenge was setting up hierarchical coding schemes, which can be challenging until you create a template that can be reused.

Response from Texifter

Dr. Riley, Thanks for the feedback. We really appreciate it. ~Stu

Replied April 2018