All Zen Planner Reviews

Reviewed August 2021

Great Features - Not Intuitive

Mike

Cheaper, better, friendlier

I love their service and how much they've helped me. I would like the ACH only option for memberships though!

PROS

The customer service and ease of use, especially that everything you would essentially need is included with ZenPlanner, unlike MindBody or Triib. It's also cheaper because of PaySimple's merchant integration and I don't think most fitness businesses need the add ons that MindBody has and that you would pay for. I think being a good business owner, setting clearly defined roles and tasks for employees, and making sure they do them will lead to more sales than a email/text bot from MindBody.

CONS

I think the client facing side of signing up for memberships could be a little easier, for instance: you can't have a ACH only membership option, you do need an iPad or computer of which to then use ZenPlanner's Front Desk for, but I do know ZenPlanner is teaming up with PaySimple to possibly release a device to use instead of an iPad or computer.

Thanks Paul! We appreciate your feedback and kind words.

Replied May 2019

Brian

Higher Education, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Great Fitness Specific Software

Love it. Never going to leave them.

PROS

Cost for sure, ease of use, the user experience for client is also very simple.

CONS

I can't say there are any other "cons" - If i'm being nit picky they could give a bit more time towards automatic PDF invoices. Some of their invoicing procedures don't have a simple suer experience.

Reasons for switching to Zen Planner

Overpriced, they have change anything about the software in 10 years. Retail experience SUCKS.

Thank you so much for the review Brian, we really appreciate it!

Replied November 2019

Reviewed October 2017

Good for very simple gym businesses, bad for everything else.

PROS

ZP lets us schedule and bill clients in one place. It spits out reasonably useful accounting summaries and can handle some email automations.

CONS

This software is the worst part of my job. Do not be fooled by their slick sales staff: this cannot perform most of the functions advertised. It can, but only in a perfect world where you gym runs exactly as ZP imagines it. In this imaginary perfect world, you'd need a team of administrators working full-time to keep your database up-to-date and functioning. Our gym runs about 250 sessions per week. That's either classes or PT. They're all different. ZP's workout builder does not work for this. We were spending ~3 hours per day inputting workouts. It could not scale. So now we do not track workouts in the software. We see 100 leads per week and run free trials to get them into the gym. ZP's various 'prospect' systems cannot handle this. They are not manipulatable enough to handle the different types of trials we'd like to offer. Doing so, again, would take a team of administrators. We now use a separate sales software for everyone on trial. ZP goes down most days for 1-2 hours. 5-6 days per week. Just no software to run the gym. No attendance tracked, no bills processed, no member questions answered. ZP's calendar never works on the first try. Literally. When I click on a staff member's calender I wait 15sec for the software to reload the full gym calendar with no changes. Then I click the staff member a second time, wait another 15sec, and only then am I rewarded with his/her calendar. With 28 staff this is not working.

I¿m sorry to hear your experience with Zen Planner has been less than ideal. We'd like to offer help to ensure your database is set up efficiently and give you a direct point of contact for the issues you have brought to our attention. Please reach out to our retention expert, Nick Deprez at nick.deprez@zenplanner.com, to get set up as your review is anonymous and we are unable to reach you directly. In response to your note about down time: we diligently track the down time of our software and are currently at 99.87% availability. This would not be possible if we were down at the rate you described. I¿ve passed your feedback about our feature compatibility and sales to our Sales Team to review and ensure we maintain transparency and honesty in our sales process.

Replied October 2017

Jayne

Reviewed May 2019

Great Software, Even Better Customer Support!

If I ever have an issue with the software, or a question on how to do something (like create a custom report) the customer support is always outstanding.

PROS

I have been using Zen for 10 years. The program is so easy to use & I am always finding new things to do with it.

CONS

When creating reports for attendance or payment history for a client, I would love to have our business name show at the header.

Reason for choosing Zen Planner

Zen integrated with our payment processing seamlessly.

Thank you Jayne, we appreciate the kind words!

Replied June 2019

Constantly surprises and improves

PROS

The more I learn about this software (partly due to their fantastic customer help team) the more I love it and the more it gives me back time! I still think I have barely scratched the service In its capabalities and I'm excited to learn more.

CONS

There is a bit of a learning curve but thats the same for all software. The basics at first is all you will need.

Reason for choosing Zen Planner

Recommendation from a friend and I had used the other two previously with other gyms

Thanks Chris, we think our support team is pretty fantastic too!

Replied June 2019

Ricky

Reviewed March 2020

Game changer

Just amazing! I truly have been very excited with this software and I enjoy interacting with it in a daily basis.

PROS

What I liked most about this software was the amount of things that it can do to not only help manage the numbers but keep the clients engaged and happy. I am also always amazed by the competence of the customer support team who I have called several times with questions I thought would be complicated but were not to them! I really appreciate this software and I really think my customers do again. I would recommend to anybody in the martial arts industry!

CONS

I couldn't think of anything in particular that I didn't like but if I had to say something it would be that I wish it would be more engaging with my actual website. The thing is that it probably can, I just don't know how to yet.

Reasons for switching to Zen Planner

Zen Planner just did so much more and they even train you on how to use the product before you could even launch which I found extremely helpful!

Thank you Ricky!

Replied March 2020

Shelly

martial arts use

The customer service has been great in helping us resolve issues and work around systems that aren't quite what we need.

PROS

We like that we can track student count/growth, attendance, belt ranking, finances, and appointments all in one place.

CONS

The calendar is not easy to use and often leads to errors if you don't follow certain steps.

Reason for choosing Zen Planner

ability to track all portions of our martial arts service in one place

Thank you for taking the time to review Zen Planner, Shelly!

Replied May 2019

Abraham

Reviewed November 2019

Next Generation

Choosing Zen Planner to partner with us in growing our business, was one of the best decision we have made to date. Their website design has contributed to 90% of our current clientele. They are a team of professionals representing their brand extremely well.

PROS

1) Ease of use; 2) Customizability; 3) Professional; 4) Excellent customer support.

CONS

1) Features to engage individual athletes.

Reason for choosing Zen Planner

Zen Planner was willing to accommodate us during our founding months, for which we were truly thankful for.

Thank you for the kind words, Abraham! We are happy that our website is helping to grow your business and I will pass along your review to the website design team!

Replied November 2019

Joey

Sports, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2020

Modern Interface with lots of flexibility

The onboarding process was thorough. I did have to be persistent in explaining some needs that were different from what they expected.

PROS

This product can be customized in many ways to meet the specific operation of your business. The interface is slick looking and makes good use of screen real estate. The interface is fast and responsive. The universal search button lets you get to what you need quickly.

CONS

The mobile app features are quite lacking. Although it is customizable in most ways, there are some ways it is not, and when you mention these to support, they can't fathom why you'd want that. There is a feedback option to submit feature requests, and they always reply to them, but it seems the dev cycle is VERY long.

Reasons for switching to Zen Planner

The Perfect mind interface was clunky, and took far too many clicks to get anywhere, and had a very outdated interface, and dealing with their support was very difficult.

Thanks for the good words, Joey!

Replied February 2020

heather

Reviewed January 2022

Would not reccomend

I regret switching to Zenplanner from Mindbody. Constant bugs in the app and website. Disruptive to employees and clients

PROS

I can't think of anything I liked about it at this point.

CONS

The app for customers and employees was awful.

Mindbody Was expensive

Reviewed May 2021

Worst customer service possible

Zen Planner is absolutely the worst. I decided to go with a different program and half way through the porting process we thought it would be simpler to simply stay with Zen Planner. Nope, they never called us back.

PROS

I really didn't like anything about it. It was overly complicated, redundant and the same glitches existed for years.

CONS

It was hard to maintain an idea of what our client base actually was. Some clients were counted twice. We had to check 3 different areas to make sure our billing was going through.

Price.

Reasons for switching to Zen Planner

Mindbody was even more difficult and rarely ever had anyone you could talk to in their customer service. Additionally more expensive.

Justin

Reviewed July 2022

8+ year user

Excellent.

PROS

The service. I don't call in often but if I need help it's always there.

CONS

Changing password info every 3 months is my biggest gripe.

Better overall usability.

Reasons for switching to Zen Planner

It was a much better fit and lower cost.

Alyssa

Reviewed May 2017

Best Customer Service On The Planet

Sanity.

PROS

Zen Planner seamlessly integrates everything we need as a gym. Although there are still key features we would like, what is there works well and allows us to keep all customer data and interactions in one place, which makes our life easier. Perhaps most importantly, best customer service on the planet. No matter how small an issue, they respond immediately. And when we recently had an ENORMOUS problem, that was totally our fault, our rep worked on it over the weekend for us. He saved our sanity, and thousands of dollars. I can't imagine that kind of service anywhere else.

CONS

My only real gripes are things that don't exist and need to. I would like my members to be able to purchase retail items and check-in using their app. Both of these features exist in the staff app, but not the member app. Also, I would like an option to NOT have a gender field at registration. I find the gender binary pointless and it's offensive to our trans and nonconforming clients.

Sports, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2022

My review 10-10-22

I think ZP does a great job with support. That to me is super important!

PROS

Billing and scheduling is made easy through ZP which is my only function right now.

CONS

This is not a email system that is all encompassing so it makes it hard to set up a nurture program. Having it integrated with Mailchimp in a cleaner way would be great. It's not easy to manage.

ZP is better.

Henry

Reviewed October 2022

New Report

Overall, fairly positive experience.

PROS

Great for keeping track of students, Billing and tracking ranking for all students, contact info for all prospects, email to all in database with different filters

CONS

Difficulty of getting proper fields to be in a report. Difficulty working with different age group migration (student moves to new group, conflicts and mistakes happen) Pricing is getting a bit high, gone up 50% in 2 years with no major improvements or features, and during covid, limited and slow response time for customer service, but....higher prices...

Reason for choosing Zen Planner

Pricing and general functionality that covered what I needed. (Billing and tracking ranking for all students, contact info for all prospects, email to all in database with different filters, etc)

Juan Ignacio

Sports, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2019

Best Customer Service I ever experienced

I run all my programs, classes and appointments. I also use it to bill my customers and record all my expenses. It is a perfect solution for a gym of sport facility, we are a fencing club with over 100 active members.

PROS

It covers all my needs, but the best part of it is the Customer Service. They helped me for every step over the implementation and they have always been available over the 3 years I have used the SW to solve all my questions. It is not only about issues but also about functionality questions. They are super friendly and useful.

CONS

The SW is very good, sometimes I would have preferred a few things to be organized differently but it is not a good deal.

Reason for choosing Zen Planner

Better references from similar;ar business to mine.

Thanks for the review, Juan! We'll be sure to pass along your kind words to our customer service team.

Replied September 2019