Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"Airtable is great, it has really powerful tools for creating tables that you can customize and adapt perfect to any need of your team."
  • icon"A lot of nice built in features to force you to be organized about planning and recording adventures."
  • icon"Templates available for you to kickstart. Powerful spreadsheets with relations, and more awesome features."
  • icon"Airtable shows deleted words with a line crossing the words or sentences which could have been written in error."
  • icon"At first it was so hard to grasp but when you get used to it, you forget about the hardship you had as a first time user."
  • icon"Sometimes it takes a long time to work out what you have done wrong (in my case a misplaced comma)."

Have you used Airtable and would like to share your experience with others?

All Airtable Reviews

1-25 of 1,500 Reviews

Sam

Company size: 501 - 1,000 employees

Beautiful database manager

Marvin

November 2022

Airtable is your software "joker"! It offers almost unlimited functionality.

I am very happy with Airtable, but still very often very overwhelmed by the countless possibilities.

Pros

Airtable is your software "joker". We use Airtable as a multifunctional platform for several use cases - project management, user research, database management and so many more - the software offers just as many functionalities as your creativity allows. In our case, by integrating Airtable with Zapier, Google Sheets, customer.io and some other tools, we have created our own low-code no-code referral system and tracked user referrals in its real-time database. I furthermore heavily use Airtable as a database and survey provider for user interviews.

Cons

The multiple functionalities can be overwhelming. You need to have a clear plan, how your solution should look like when you start building it, as Airtable is not great with "ready to use" functionalities. Of course you can use the free templates, but in most cases you want to use Airtable when you have a specific problem in mind you want to solve. Then, you need to customize the template to create your solution in Airtable. Also when integrating other software via connectors, such as Zapier, the possibilities of miscommunication between the tools rises, which caused me multiple hours bug and problem fixing.

Justin

Industry: Mental Health Care

Flexible yet powerful

Airtable was a great system to start until our needs grew more medical and we needed a HIPPA compliant solution.

Pros

Airtable is a flexible system with many great features to keep your data organized and make changes. The ability to make multiple views makes it easy to see, organize and edit your information.

Cons

Airtable is not HIPPA compliant, which made it unusable for our needs. Also, the mobile app was not reliable.

Reasons for choosing Airtable

The database over spreadsheet was easier to manage and build out for our needs.

Laurène

September 2022

Airtable is very powerful for building internal tool or back-offices, UX could be more user-friendly

We use Airtable in several ways: - Internal ticketing system + reporting (works great) - Custom apps for our customers, synced with our own software (back-office logic is great, end-user UX is not, we should have used a third-party app builder to make it more user-friendly) - CRM extension (good for one-off analytics) - Database for some automations using Make.com (having structured data really helps) We are overall satisfied, we manage to do everything we want and integrate Airtable with our other software. We hope that Airtable Interfaces will get better, along with some improvements in formulas.

Pros

Airtable is very powerful. It makes database logic accessible to non-developer profiles. Being able to view your data in so many different ways is great. Usecases are endless.

Cons

I was disappointed by the inability to create easy-to-use apps for the final user. You can either share the entire database with them - which can be overwhelming - or cherry-pick views you want to share with them - which is impractical, especially because those views aren't editable. This makes Airtable great to build internal tools for tech-savvy teams, but in order to make it usable by other people you'll have to use a third-party app builder (Airtable will then be used as the database / back-office of your app). In addition to that, I sometimes get frustrated with some formulas, especially "datetime" formulas and recursive logic. These can become overly complicated in Airtable.

Reasons for switching to Airtable

Google Sheets was not scalable. We needed structured data, and the ability to analyze it easily.

Kenneth

November 2022

A must-have for a school campus

Keeping all our staff and faculty organized, on the same page, collaborative, and on schedule has made things less stressful overall. And fewer tasks fall through the cracks.

Pros

Tasks and schedules are vital to connect and collaborate across campus. It is easy to create, share, use, and monitor for progress, completion, collaboration, and team work.

Cons

None, as of yet. I have not had any complaints nor cons about Airtable.

Reasons for choosing Airtable

Was introduced to it by a colleague that uses it for personal activities.

One Platform to Rule Them All

I absolutely love it.

Pros

I use Airtable for pretty much everything related to work. It is my central source of truth, and the base of my business operations. Airtable is ridiculously flexible. It can be used for pretty well any type of business. It's like a mix between Google Sheets and Microsoft Access, but in the best way possible. It makes it possible to build complex systems to automate business practices, without knowing how to code.I use Airtable for many hours every day and wouldn't want to work without it. They are improving the product every month, and consistently adding powerful new features.

Cons

Support is a little slow to respond. Luckily, Airtable has a strong community with many people willing to help out through the Community Forum.I wish that the Interface Designer was a bit more flexible from a design perspective. It's still better in my view to use something like Stacker or Glide to allow other people to access your Airtable data. I'm hoping that this will improve, and that I no longer have to rely on outside services for sharing.

Alyson

October 2022

Amazing Endless Features

We used AirTable as an alternative to SalesForce as our CRM. The interface was more friendly and it was easier to customize fields for our specific uses.

Pros

I love that AirTable takes the basic spreadsheet concept and amplifies it in so many useful ways. Their system allows the user to save information and organize it in beautiful dashboards.

Cons

The only trouble with AirTable is that we hit a paywall and once you do that the price is a bit steep for what we wanted to spend. However for personal use the value is incredible for what you can do at the free tier.

User interface, cost

Lauren

Industry: Chemicals

October 2022

Good for a small company

Pros

I like how we can have lots of collaborators on Airtable and how we can send people notifications via email by using the @ symbol in the notes section of the record.

Cons

If you have alot of individual spreadsheets on Airtable (which we do) you can easily get lost in it all. People hide different rows and columns and then you have to arrange the tables again so you can do your work.

Delia

Why I use Airtable to store my data

I run a site called Wikihospitals, and display international health technology services. This data all needs to be linked together, so I can see information like country of origin, founder's details, technology used and medical specialty covered. Airtable was a great discovery for me. I can shared my data easily, embedded it into my website and am now transforming it into a fully fledged directory site.

Pros

Before Airtable, pre formatted databases were costly platforms to subscribe to, and extremely difficult to create from scratch (for the non coder). Airtable is just dead easy to use. It looks like a spreadsheet but behaves like a database. You can import or export data as a CSV file. You can share a link or embed a view into you website using iframe code. It is also lightning fast. You can link any number of different 'sheets' together. You can selecting different types of 'fields' ie numerical, date, multiple select, calculations, upload document etc. You can also display your data in a range of 'views' from maps to calendars to gallery views of pie and bar charts.

Cons

When using the embed code option, it doesn't show that well on a mobile device. Apart from that, it's really the perfect software for people with a large amount of data and no code skills.

Reasons for choosing Airtable

Cost, ease of use, flexibility, attractive front end, speed.

Reasons for switching to Airtable

Stress levels. Other proprietary database platforms still required a developer to set the base up. They are all $40 USA a month or more. For that, they are still clunky. I had difficulty seeing all my data at once, and making quick decisions about it. Airtable is easy to use, fast to set up and affordable.

Jonathan

AirTable is an Advanced Form of Excel

My work team uses airtable as opposed to Excel or Google Sheets to keep shared records, and this has been very helpful to us especially in keeping lots of complex information in one place that we can easily sort through. Because it has more features than a traditional excel sheet, like attaching documents or pictures, it is an easier way to keep track of documents than a traditional Cloud Storage system like Dropbox or Google Drive. It also gives us lots of special "blocks" that we can use (but are still exploring) so we can continue to improve our workflow and data spread.

Pros

I love that this works as an Excel document, but you can also do so much more with it - attach documents, check boxes, drop down options, and so many more things. It has great integrations with other platforms, and is easy to set up for various different functions that Excel could never offer. I also love the extra blocks you can use that give you more options for functions, such as creating pivot tables, sending texts, keeping an organizational chart, and even setting a countdown! It makes me want to explore more ways I can use this to help make our workflow better within my work team.

Cons

It does take a little getting used to at first if you are used to excel. It's not quite a replacement for Excel if you are trying to make a traditional sheet with borders, and it also isn't as easy to highlight select cells and copy/paste them in other places like in an Excel sheet. It also doesn't really support traditional Microsoft formatting which is kind of annoying when you try to copy information in. But seeing as how this is a better system for containing information, its pros outweigh the cons and you can easily use Excel and Airtable at the same time to support your various needs.

Reasons for choosing Airtable

This was a step up from our old method of using a Google sheet to keep information in one place. It hasn't completely replaced Google Docs or Excel, but it has been a great service for us to keep certain records that are harder to keep track of on other less complex platforms.

Adnan

June 2022

All-in-one product for marketing & information management

Pros

We use Airtable as almost anything. If you are familiar with Airtable, you know that it can be anything. Just to name a few: Marketing task management Document and resource listing Forms for recruiting or surveys Content planning CRM Documenting any sort of research Visualising simple data Expense tracking

Cons

Airtable's some of the premium features are not very clear. So sometimes you have to stuck in some free features without knowing that you are already over capacity. However, using this product with free option for about 2-3 years in 2 different company so far. It's great! I also use Airtable for personal stuff like school applications, job hunting, and document/resource listing.

Reasons for choosing Airtable

Airtable is great with free option.

Reasons for switching to Airtable

Excel is useless for task or project management.

Udayan

Google Sheets/Excel on steriods

Overall experience with Airtable has been amazing, I think it's a brilliant product for cross team collaboration and I love the flexibility you get.

Pros

While there are a lot of things that are great about airtable, these are the ones I love the most: 1. Flexibility to do everything from project management, sprint management, and GTMs. 2. Ease of use: This is like using excel sheets so creating a new task project is basically hit enter and start typing. Obviously, the features are 10 times better on airtable. 3. The different kind of views that I can have is also brilliant, the calendar view, kanban view and my favorite.

Cons

I think the only place this tool lacks is in just pure documentation. While you can write long form content here, it doesn't feel natural or intuitive. I really wish they improve the long form text field with rich content formatting and more. One more thing which is a pain is the mobile app. Feels like an MVP but the viable is so low. I can't even add comments via the app. Quite sad.

Reasons for choosing Airtable

Flexibility and better cross team collaboration. (Also Asana's free version is a joke.)

Spencer

Industry: Photography

An organizer's dream database manager

Airtable helps me run my photography business much more effectively. I'm able to track the progress and status of my photography jobs, to assess outstanding details, to have different databases for all my studio lighting equipment, backdrops, cameras, lenses, and miscellaneous tools and assets. I have different tables for different purposes, including tables that are checklists for the gear I need to bring for each kind of shoot. I can easily reference, in a visually-foward way, which lighting modifiers, number of batteries or stands, and which lenses I need to pack for an office headshot job or an in-the-park family portrait session without needing to put much effort into thinking about it. The less I have to think about such details, the more I can focus on my clients and work to do. In more ways than one, Airtable helps make this happen.

Pros

Airtable does what a lot of basic database and spreadsheet manager do, but most robustly with complex features and with more visual pizazz. For visual thinkers and organizers, Airtable makes the average tracking task or information management responsibility both a pleasure and a joy.

Cons

As with any feature-packed professional software, There is a learning curve with mastering where tools are and what all the platform can do. Once you get a hang of the interface and the many customization options, you will be sailing with delight.

Reasons for switching to Airtable

I'm a photographer. I'm a visual person and thinker, and I have a lot of physical equipment. Being able to see images of my gear along with the details for my sessions is so helpful in a way that just reading words in a spreadsheet from another product does.

Nick

Airtable for Non-Profit Management

With Airtable, our non-profit staff of ~25 employees went from chatting server locations of files over GChat to having a central location for event planning; communications and outreach planning and tracking; managing ~50 grants with thousands of individual deliverables per year; and coordinating a participatory research network. With Airtable, you can build a database or project management system without any prior database management or programming experience. You are, of course, limited by your own ability to design a system that works.

Pros

I like the ability to be able to customize a complex database/project management system without having to know any programming. It's familiar to users, because it looks kind of like Sheets or Excel, but the built in functionality makes it easier to use. We really like the chat on individual records, so when we have a conversation, we know exactly what it's about. We also like the ability to dynamically link records and therefore integrate all sorts of event planning and data management.

Cons

We'd like to see an ability to manage user access on a more granular level. We'd also like the ability to link bases.

Reasons for choosing Airtable

Airtable offered more flexibility with how we could customize and set up the environment.

Nica Chesca

September 2022

Tool worth trying

Though it's something I didn't use for long, I still had a good experience using the tool for a couple of months. It's still worth trying just depends on what type of projects you will use it for.

Pros

I like the many features that it has like surveys and different views of your project.

Cons

It can also get so messy at times and difficult to use since it has many functionalities that are not user friendly. Has a steep learning curve compared to others that I've tried before.

Damian

Fully customizable database

We use it to manage almost every single area of our weekly running. Leaders update their group's attendance online, people submit their details and photo online and as mentioned above we use it from COVID-19 health checks and contact tracing.

Pros

When the pandemic hit, within a few weeks, we had a custom-made solution which allowed members to do the health check from home and sign in and out of venues all using a QR code or weblink. We now have a COVID protocol with contact tracing and have been infection free for 5 months thanks to our AirTable App which does health checks from home and contact tracing also.

Cons

As a charity with many volunteers, if we used the paid version, it would be very expensive. We are using the free tier at the moment but will need to upgrade soon.

Reasons for choosing Airtable

It is customizable the the use of controlled vocabulary and ease of linking different tables within bases is really great as we didn't have to teach volunteers how to use it - we just did some online tutorials and we already have 80% adoption rate which is not bad considering some have just gone online during this pandemic!

Jamie

Industry: Facilities Services

Airtable is great at organizing complex data that you need to interact with dynamically

Airtable saves us time, but it also saves us money. We're able to better manage resources when we can see how everything connects. That's what Airtable is great at. We had the data, but we were missing the lenses to put it in perspective. Having a column of dates in a spreadsheet is useful; being able to see those entries distributed on a calendar with a single click is a game-changer.

Pros

We've migrated several of our Operations Office processes to Airtable and couldn't be happier. Not only is Airtable easy to use, it's easy to integrate. It might not do everything we need, but by linking tools, like Zapier, it's so simple to manipulate data and let the data trigger actions in the other software that we use every day. For example, we've built a base to track key distribution for our 210,000 sq. ft. facility. We have a table with records for each of the 858 unique keys in our inventory, which links to a table where we track all of the keys issued to individuals. With filtered views, it's easy to see who has past due keys or which rooms are at the greatest security risk. And because it's all web-based, we don't have to worry about who checks in a key because everyone's base is updated in real time. As a relational database, Airtable lets you establish connections between two complex tables. We can click on a person to see all of the keys they've been issued, or we can click on a key to see all of the people who have it. Not only are our processes more efficient, they're actually more productive. Working from a standard spreadsheet, the type of reporting we're doing now would not be feasible. With Airtable, getting the answer is almost as easy as asking the question, and with the mobile app, I can ask the question wherever I am in the building--or outside of it.

Cons

Airtable has a great feature set as a relational database, particularly for the price and ease of use, but there are some limitations--not enough to cost a star in any one category though. The nine bases we've built so far were all things that we migrated from a spreadsheet system. From that perspective, Airtable is missing the ability to use conditional formatting and it's a little lean on available functions in the formula field. So far I've managed to find workarounds for almost everything, but they're not always the most elegant. Despite these limitations, we recently upgraded to an annual paid plan after six months on the free plan.