• Pros

• "It is open source, easy to install, great to work with and reliable. You can use it very easily in Dockers."

• "MariaDB is perfectly compatible with MySql related applications. It is super fast. Most importantly it is free."

• "It's a great drop-in replacement for MySQL. I have been using in my dev, test and prod sites and never really had any issues other than obvious identified bugs."

• Cons

• "Sometimes the configuration can be quite terse, but it is very well documented, and there is always somebody out there who can help!"

• "The performance could be better. Some queries could run faster."

• "The only con I see is the settings. Just like MySQL, you need to understand how to use the settings to optimize MariaDB, but there is community support. So be ready to study a little."

Browse MariaDB Reviews

Cindy from Webdevelopers911

MariaDB Review

My overall experience with MariaDB has been very favorable. I like the clustering features a lot, and it's built in already, which is awesome since it saves me time. I like that I can export my entire database in to MariaDB, be it a little hard to figure out at first but once you get the hang of it you will do better with it the next time round.

Pros

What I like most about MariaDB is that if you know how to use MySQL then you will definitely know how to use MariaDB! With some added functionality and features it is much faster and it is pretty stable to use. The database is free to use, but lightweight in comparison to my sequel so it's perfect for starter to medium sized projects.

Cons

What I like least about MariaDB is that you will definitely need some guidance at first if you are not already familiar with this kind of software, especially when it comes to things like creating a new cluster. If you do run into a snag though the MariaDB community is very helpful and usually answer quick if you need a few pointers. There are also tons of forums and help guides you can refer to if need be.

Reasons for Choosing MariaDB

Speed. Upgraded features. Fewer crashes.

Reasons for Switching to MariaDB

I made the switch from MySQL because I had heard good feedback about using the branched off Maria Data Base such as improved speed for instance, and personally I found it to be true, MariaDB is a lot faster MySQL.

Rob from Yenlo

MariaDB a good RDBMS

We want to be able to migrate data in our training from a H2 (flat file) database to an RDBMS enviroment that can be shared among multiple servers. Furthermore we want a simple command line where we can use easy commands to create and manipulate data. MariaDB offers all that.

Pros

MariaDB is our personal choice for the RDBMS in our training environment. it is simple to setup on linux as well as windows and is leightweigth yet performant. it starts quickly and does not take up too much space on disk. I use mainly the terminal interface doing simple commands from the mysql command line. I like the fact that it is compatible with mysql (of which it is of course a fork). When i want to have a graphical overview of the databases and tables i use a separate tool called DBeaver to show the ERD and look at the tables. Most of the time we work with a limited number of database records, but also have a complete dataset of all registered vehicles nationally (16+ million records) which is also performing. All within of course our training environment.

Cons

There is nothing I really dislike about it. It performs well, we can use it without incurring cost and it performs and is stable.

See above

Reasons for Switching to MariaDB

At that time MariaDB was bundled with the linux environment

Justin from MIM Software

Great product, but MySQL is still the standard

MariaDB is easy to set up and use, but I worry that its community support isn't where it needs to be in order to be a top contender against MySQL.

Pros

MariaDB has picked up the community-oriented development mindset where MySQL left off since being acquired by Oracle. I've had virtually no problems with stability, and MariaDB seems to be actively developed.

Cons

Unfortunately, the majority of the community still seems to use MySQL, and that will become a problem as MySQL and MariaDB continue to diverge. How many developers will want to support both platforms? It's difficult to say.

Reasons for Switching to MariaDB

Oracle tends to ruin everything it touches, and we didn't want to risk being caught using one of its products if a drop-in replacement was available.

Jonathan from Information Technology and Services

Best way to host your sql database

It is the best and cheapest way to host your SQL database.

Pros

Cons

Theres not much to criticize, because i hadn't had any errors with it in the last years. It just works.

Eljakim from USA Bebras Challenge

MariaDB as a drop in replacement for MySQL just works

We use it to store all of our data.

Pros

It is so much faster than MySQL, especially when we alter the table structure of large tables it just works so much faster. The built in clustering features work quite well as well.

Cons

Starting a cluster is annoying. It's not overly hard, but you have to remember the statements. It would be a lot better if the startup script would say 'cannot attach to cluster, start a new one?' or something similar. Despite the speed, we have had a couple of crashes where we could not startup the server. This has never happened to our MySQL servers, so that was a surprise. It may have been a specific 10.2 version on Ubuntu, because on our 18.04LTS servers this has not happened again. Performance of the cluster when using INSERT IGNORE statements with 100,000s of records that are all duplicates is a lot slower than on MySQL.

Reasons for Choosing MariaDB

We needed a relational database for this product. Postgress and SQL Server have their own group of people that love it. But it would take too much in refactoring to switch to something completely different.

Reasons for Switching to MariaDB

MariaDB came out faster from our tests

Best and easy-to-use database software.

MariaDB is great for business. It has better performance than other database software. Easy to install and host, with varies of configurations.

Pros

It has very similar queue style and command styling to MySQL. But with additional functions. It is easy to adapt to and I can export or import any database in MariaDB software. It also has a lot of storage type which we definitely need it.

Cons

Migration sometimes can be hard especially when you are upgrading the software. But most of the time we can solve it on our own or with the help of the community of MariaDB.

Reasons for Choosing MariaDB

MariaDB can handle a large amount of queue with the best performance of all.

Reasons for Switching to MariaDB

MySQL is good, but I think MariaDB can handle our software better since it requires large queues very often.

Aníbal from Banco Bicentenario, Banco Universal C.A.

Great experience a fast database and without many novelties

Currently I am carrying out a project independently for one of my clients and we have chosen MariaDB as a database, which gives me the advantage of being able to offer a simple and stable service without recharging the price of the licenses, although the time in what I have tried is little. I hope that this software is maintained over time and continues to grow. With MariaDB I have grown personally and professionally

Pros

MariaDB is something new in the market and at the beginning I was not sure about making the migration, but it has been very easy to use and has shown a lot of stability and speed, I really like it to be OpenSource with the software under the GPL license. This reduces many costs which gives a point in favor when choosing it, I like that it has a large community where there are always people willing to help in any problem, its configuration in the servers is quite simple and with very few resources can have the service operational, I like that the hosting providers have added it at no additional cost, which makes me consider it a lot when I'm going to implement a content manager or an electronic commerce system. New tables are an advantage in INFORMATION_SCHEMA

Cons

Although the community has tried to guarantee 100% compatibility with MySQL the reality is that it is not quite true when migrating to MariaDB it is necessary to change some data types that are not available. I did not like that it is necessary to uninstall MySQL on my development servers in order to install MariaDB. This software is fine for small and medium projects but it is limited when you need a robust database and with many long and frequent queries so for large projects it is not a good option.

Héctor from Chunch.es

Better than MySQL

Is a complete, with a great community database with a feature set that grows version after version easy to work with most programming languages and truly open source.

Pros

It is based on MySQL, and has great compatibility with tools based on it, it is OpenSource like MySQL, but the difference is that MariaDB is governed by the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] of MySQL and not Oracle, Oracle is a Closed Source Database company, If someday they decide to remove the plug on MySQL or making it weaker to sell their products there would be no option to MySQL users, but MariaDB exists now.

Cons

It's missing some statistic tools that PostGreSQL already comes with, they can be added but it might be kind of cumbersome, Tools are not as polished as MySQL Workbench, DBeaver is the best one that I tried but have some issues from time to time.

Everyday RDBMS

Being open source you can easily self-host it and you never have to worry about who is looking in your data.

Pros

Cons

Sometimes it's slow on merging upstream from MySQL which becomes pain because you can't use the same feature which already exists in MySQL.

Jishnu from Buildnext

RDBMS at its best.

Pros

1. High Performance and availability 2. Has an active open-source developer community. 3. Robust Transactional Support. 4. Availability of many Storage Engines.

Cons

1. MariaDB is no longer completely compatible with MySQL. Which makes migration a tedious process. 2. Needs improvement in caching. 3. It doesn’t support full outer joins.

Debjit from ALpana Web Solutions

My second best RDBMS software and best opensource software.

I love the idea of open-source so as opensource this is my best DB software. I love the idea of it and similarity with mysql as it is a fork of it. If you already used any SQL software/server before then you can find this pice of software your next best thing. This fast and light feature of it is the dealbreaker. VPS with 512MB ram can run mariaDB with 1000's of users which I cant think with Mysql or any other software. Love to see this awesome pice of software success. For support you always have it sorted by someone before and you just need to search.

Pros

This is an opensource solutions which is a fork of MySql. I love how light it is compared to other softwares. It is reliable, light, much faster alternative. If you know mySQL then it is just the free version of it.

Cons

I ran into some configuration problem when trying to configure it on my VPS server. It doesn't have lots of tutorials like other, but you can always find a way around of it. You cannot get personalize support for this software like others, because it is a comunity based DB software. Less update and bug fixing sometime make word really hard.

MariaDB is fast and stable

It's fast, it's actually free to use even in a cluster, and it works. Hasn't let us down yet!

Pros

It truly is a drop-in replacement for MySQL. Especially when you alter the table structure of an existing table with millions of rows the lock time goes down from 10s of minutes to 10s of seconds. Setting up a Galera cluster is not trivial, especially starting it the first time, but when it's up and running, it works really well.

Cons

Starting up a Galera cluster is annoying. The first node needs a manual start. They need to come up with a better way for non-database-people to easily start it up. Also we get many small Galera log files that sometimes just fill up the inodes on the server; why they don't just keep adding to the same log file is a mystery to us.

Robert from Government Administration

Home Server

overall the product does what it's supposed and doesn't complicate things too much. Using this software with docker has made my entire development environment as near to Plug-n-Play / Set-and-Forget as I can imagine it.

Pros

Stable and quick. I have multiple dev environments that I run for testing and general project development. MariaDB has more up to date releases on arm-type devices and has a much more supported docker container than other databases.

Cons

The only improvement really needs to be general support. SQL syntax is pretty universal but there are some minor quirks that I had to end up fixing with StackOverflow answers after having no luck with the forum.

Miguel Alejandro from Cryanet

Industry: Computer Networking

Very good database engine, so far a drop in replacement for other engine

This is a very simple to use database engine, and the default engine for many Linux distros. It's a fork of Mysql and so far it's fully compatible, the changes at this point are in the back end, it uses different engines, which gives more options for different types of loads.

Pros

Is a medium to lightweight database engine, in resource consumption, fast as long as you set it up correctly. Database backups are simple, but no easy to automate. Uses a very standard SQL language. It's very easy to find libraries for this database in any operative system.

Cons

It does not include a default manager It's all console by default

Martin from Starfighter Software

Powerful, flexible and reliable database platform.

I use MariaDB for a wide range of services, and it has become my 'go-to' database platform. It operates well out of the box, and with some configuration has proven to scale well (through load balanced servers). It integrates well in Linux environments, and I rely on it every day to handle millions of requests.

Pros

I have used MariaDB in small environments, and production environments handling millions of transactions. It has proven very reliable, robust, and I have come to rely on it.

Fast and Easy

We are using it all over the place, when requirements do not push us into one of the big commercial products.

Pros

This is the relational database systems of choice if you need or want to switch MySQL. There is no client reconfigurationnecessary. It is developed by the open source community and it is broadly supported in all environments.

Cons

The shrinking of the idx log files is a bit tedious and needs downtime.

The Preferred Database Solution

MariaDB is easily our preferred data storage solution, and we use it across most of our applications.

Pros

MariaDB is an excellent, free and open source solution for data storage, with a strong tradition of quality and a high level of support.

Cons

The renumbering of versions (skipping from 5.5 to 10.0) has left some confusing documentation and version tracking problems.

Anthony from Blamotech

Very speedy database

My overall experience has been great. I used some general settings for the server type I have, and it is a smooth go from there. No issues at all.

Pros

I've been using MariaDB on CentOS 7 with PHP 7.1, and I have to say that this is running smooth. I have a hard time consuming any resources, or using much processor with this setup.

Haritha from IFS

The Best Free Alternative for MySQL

MariaDB is a comprehensive RDBMS that can successfully replace MySQL, however, it lacks some of the MySQL features.

Pros

MariaDB is a free MySQL clone with improvements such as faster speed and better replication. It requires minimum resources.

Cons

It doesn't have all the MySQL features and it has delayed compatibility with MySQL versions starting from 5.5.

100% free and open source database management

Compatibility with mysql that allows easier use of the application. Open source. Easy to use and safe database management.

Pros

MariaDB is an alternative to MySql totally free and open source Maintains full compatibility with MySQL, allowing migrations from MySql to MariaDB in a clean and smooth manner When complex queries are received and you have to perform temporary tables, they are cached instead of being written to the disk Being a very dynamic community and open to developers, MariaDB guarantees the fastest appearance of patches, which can solve any security problems MariaDB can be used from most existing management systems for MySQL, such as PhpMyAdmin or HeidiSQL, and is compatible with popular applications such as WordPress, Drupal, and others

Cons

The migration of a very tested and reliable system such as MySQL. Although absolute compatibility is guaranteed, and a large stable and powerful system, we must assess whether today a complex system is worth passing to MariaDB

Nigel Masimba from Calmlock Web Design

Did Not Know I Was Using Until I Checked

I actually wasn't aware I was using MariaDB until I checked a few of our websites to verify. In hindsight, I have anecdotal experience of it being a tad faster than another database software we use.

Pros

Fast and stable. Compatible with other database systems. You can import and export database backups from most SQL backups. Compatible with different kinds of servers. You can install it on most operating systems.

Cons

I was unable to set it up on my localhost to run alongside another database system without conflicts.

Daniel from UTEL Universidad

The improved fork of an excellent solution, integrate with a lot of software

Pros

As a fork of another solution you have all the advantages of the old solution but with more actualizations and an improved experience. Easy to connect with a wide variety of DB clients and integrates with a large amount of software- Widely recommended as there are a lot of documentation on the web.

Eranga from Sysco LABS Sri Lanka

Great open source Database

Overall benefits of MariaDB are beyond the description.

Pros

Cons

The biggest con to MariaDB is that debugging tool is not good enough to catch all missing indexes of the database.

Nemanja from FMP Publishing A.B.

I've used MongoDB since 2012. Latest releases are even better. Great piece of software!

Pros

Schema-less design, flexibility, performance and scalability options. I have developed such a system with a help of MongoDB which would never be possible with RDBs.

Cons

Perhaps hardware resource consumption could be somewhat lower (even though it has been designed to work on commodity hardware).

Joshua from Pinetop Brewing Company

Best DB on the Market

I use it for a gaming server where we have tables for items, characters, etc. It's perfect for our use, easy to use, and has never crashed or failed yet.

Pros

More languages supported than MySQL and more functions. I also love that it's open source and totally free.

Cons

It can be difficult to setup for 1st time users, especially the server. But once it's setup, it's easy to use with a client like HeidiSQL.

Reasons for Switching to MariaDB

MariaDB has more functions and is open source.

eyamir from UDO

It is an easy-to-use DBMS, and its functions are very helpful when handling the BD

Pros

The new system tables, which keep statistics that are of great help for the optimization of the Database. Its new ARIA storage engines that replace MyISAM and XtraDB that replaces InnoDB and are fault-proof, and the PBXT engine: which is a transactional storage engine with a lot of new and beautiful features. On the other hand its speed improvement especially in complex queries when using the Aria storage engine, since Aria caches data from temporary tables in memory, which is a performance against the use of the hard drive. In the replication substantial improvements have been introduced, for example the "group commit for the binary log" that accelerates replication up to twice as much. Its ability to handle more than 200.00 connections.

Cons

I really have not got something so far that I do not like the driver. For which I recommend its use

Safe way to store data

Saved client inovices and settlement information.

Pros

We can easily switch to this database with simple steps. It provide better sequrity on data. Retrieve data from table is easy and fast. Easy to handle complex queries.

Cons

It should add more simplicity while implementing culstering on tables. Debugging tool it not good it does not tract all the missing indexes.

Bradley from eVolve Computing, LLC

MariaDB is great!

Pros

It performs everything we need from a relational database.

Cons

The performance could be better. Some queries could run faster.

Manny from Dl Communications

Best Integration Software

The best open source software taking technology to a new level by integrating other software's together.

Pros

Ideal for companies that want to take SQL to the next level. Efficient, secure, ideal for the user's wanting to integrate various application together.

Cons

Open source and hopefully the developers will keep on top of the software for years to come. Integration software works as long as other vendors stay together and keep on collaborating.

Open source

Pros

A fork from mysql, much more updated and well maintained, doesn't require a lot of learning very simple and reliable!

Cons

I hate the option to log in without password after installing new mariadb server, I wish I could set a password before installing, but it doesn't prevent from doing it after the installation it's just extra steps...

Great Database server with open source

I have been maintaining web application data in MariaDB.

Pros

Security features is very good as we get security patches more frequently. Easy to move from other database. It provider better speed performance that MYSQL.

Cons

Maintain the indexing on table is very complex. It provide many features but query performance feature is still missing.

Alexandre from Diebold Nixdorf

Good

MariaDB it's one option available to store data in tables for applications.

Pros

MariaDB it's a great database that provides a very good way to storage data and it's compatible with multiple operating systems.

Cons

Some useful SQL functions it's not available in this database, but it's still a very good way to storage data.

Very good

Very good to use MariaDB, very easy to configure and with a lot of documentation generated by the user community of the tool.

Pros

An option to the MySQL database, as it is more updated than the free version of MySQL, and its license and its compatibility with Linux allows a low cost in production environment.

Cons

Because it is a good open source option, this means support is through the community, and the vendor is not responsible for data loss.

Hunter from IT

Useful Database Server

This works well with Django. It's also useful for other applications that need a database to store information like accounts and their usernames/passwords/addresses and many other details.

Pros

This was easy to set up for use with my Django website. Haven't had any problems while using it related to the database. It was also easy to get in by using sudo when I forgot my password.

Cons

I had some problems where I couldn't actually login as the root user even though I set a password for them. The only way I've been able to is by using sudo.

nice mysql alternative

Pros

MariaDB has better performance, more open development, compatibility with MySQL, supports additional storage engines, and has quicker security releases.

Cons

Might become incompatible in the future. I haven't run into any incompatibilities in my own deployment, but it's worth noting that MariaDB and MySQL have begun to diverge

Jose from 40Q

Amazing

Excellent performance. We work with this DB solution on most of our sites and even if they receive plenty of visit at the same time, there no sights of delays.

Pros

Blading fast. We switched from MySQL DB a few months ago and couldn't be much more happy with this solution.

Ankit from Computer Software/Education Management

Industry: Investment Banking

Backend pillar for your web applications!

Pros

1. Fast querying for faster search results. 2. Strong Security 3. Processing efficiency 4. Integration with 3rd party connectors and Language support

Cons

MySQL queries and MariaDB queries sometimes mismatch the results. There is very less documentation for MariaDB. Also, many traditional hosting services do not support MariaDB.

Paul from Carecode

The better fork of MySQL

Whenever some piece of software only works with mysql and not postgresql, I give mariadb a try first. It has always worked so far.

Pros

When oracle bought mysql, mariadb emerged as a good, more open option. It has all of MySQL's strengths.

Cons

It still doesn't follow standards as well as postgresql. And sacrifices data integrity for speed. Possible to not break compat with mysql

George Williams from AMEENF

Industry: Executive Office

¡Excelente!

Pros

La facilidad y que es gratuito, fantástica app.

Cons

Todo me ha gustado, en realidad no hay nada que no.

Simple and efficient database tool

I've created and deployed project for a client in MariaDB with very less coding time and effort. It integrated seamlessly with PHP.

Pros

Below are certain pros of MariaDB: 1) Handles huge load of data without any issues 2) Easy to administrate 3) Free to use

Cons

Needs lot of improvement in terms of documentation. Creating new addon features like performance management, data visualizations would help.

best DBMS

Pros

Fast and secure, this is what I like the most about MariaDB, the fact it has more updates make it more entreprise-ready.

Nestor from Sites SA de CV

Easy and intuitive, the best way to work and it's free.

Pros

Every great project is backed by a great community. MariaDB is not the exception. The speed of your queries makes it a superior tool. Being based on MySql has the best of both worlds.

Cons

MariaDb not having a GUI is difficult to administer. MariaDb not having a GUI makes the administration a bit difficult. There is little GUI documentation and this makes it difficult to choose the most appropriate for our jobs.

Malith from SLIIT

Cool DB for free

I have used this database for few applications i have created.

Pros

This database works well with a large amount of data and it can execute large SQL queries with ease. And the accuracy and speed is high compared to other databases. Also the security of this database is high.

Cons

The interfaces on MariaDB is not so user friendly and hard to handle. And it is hard to implement relational queries on the MariaDB database.

April 2016

Ferry from A Party and Event Promotion Company

April 2016

Best free DB

I use MariaDB for my website that handles a lot of traffic. Never had any problems, and the best part, it's free! Could have more nifty tools to optimize speed, but that's a matter of knowledge.

Raul from UCI

Improved database server.

Pros

It is a community-developed product, easy to use and install, perfect for medium and large organizations.

Cons

Came from Mysql and shares some of the same source code, best server performance runs over Linux distributions.

jody from freelancer only

overall review

Three months ago I used this database to create a sales application for a company in the city where I live

Pros

what I like about this software is it's safer and colorful in my opinion

Cons

I really like the software because it is open source

Fast and reliable db

Pros

Light, easy to use with standard SQL language.

Cons

It would be great to have a manager instead of a console by default.

Fast database - good features

Pros

Free and fast Database that can handle data well.

Cons

Limitations with MySQL and struggles with large amounts of data.