• Pros

• "The lite version is very easy to install and easy to use and it's free!"

• "I like the ability to sort results by specific columns."

• "Versatility, fast for loading, lighter than SQL Managment Studio"

• Cons

• "Some performance issues. Sometime Hang-up and then closes automatically"

• "With winsql I can not connect directly with jdbc, as is done with the tool in java, should have in winsql the 2 options. Nowadays everyone connects with JDBC, it is a limitation"

• "I wish it were available on Mac OS, but it's not."

Browse WinSQL Reviews

Deepak from FIS

Handy and light weight database administration tool

I started using winsql so as to connect multiple databases like oracle and db2.I required to configure odbc in order to make it work. Overall it was satisfactory to work on it.

Pros

1. Easy to connect to different databases like db2, oracle etc. 2. Easy to get reports and extracts out of databases. 3.Light-weight application

Cons

1. Connection through IP address is not possible. 2 .It is not available for Mac OS 3. Sometimes it hangs and closes automatically during heavy queries.

Danny from EIDL, Ltd.

Awesome Database Tool

I have been using WinSQL for many years, and unlike people, it just gets better with age. I'm a big believer in the product, and it has always performed very well regardless of which DB I'm using. It is a great tool for prototyping, development and production platforms. It has way more features than any of the free DB-specific browser/query tools, and now it even has its own data specific plug-in ODBC drivers. As a developer, having one tool to master and use against a variety of DB products, has saved me many hours over the years that I could put toward other phases of development instead of spending time on DB schema, query, stored procedure building and other issues. As an end-user tool, I have never found anything users liked better than WinSQL. Because of its ease of use, it takes the fear of complexity out of learning to use a query and reporting tool.

Pros

Among the many great features of WinSQL, the one that stands out the most is it ease of use. From setting up a DSN to creating and executing a query, WinSQL makes it so easy that I have been able to quickly train non-IT users how to run their own queries and reports. By enabling users to do so much with the tool, it really reduces the requests and workload for IT. Its ease of use also means new developers have a tool they can use to quickly check DB results from running their development programs in a test mode, or to quickly populate a table with test data to use for testing their program's DB I/O, either using WinSQL's Test Data Generation Wizard, or simply writing a quick INSERT group of records, and doing it manually. It is such a versatile tool with so many great features, it is hard to say which is my favorite. It all depends on what I'm doing in my development work, then whatever WinSQL feature I'm using, becomes my favorite. That is what makes it such an awesome database tool, its breadth of features!

Cons

About the only thing I don't find very useful is the Task Scheduler. That is only because I have always used a different scheduler. So it isn't that I like it the least, it is just the feature I use the least. I can't think of anything I don't like about the tool.

John from Aky

Industry: Broadcast Media

WinSQL is now banned on SAP IQ

It’s a shame we had to ban it. Although very slow to start on a large Datawarehouse, it had a good user interface and searching for objects was better than the tools provided by SAP.

Pros

Easy to use, good catalogue of objects, but this has caused massive problems

Cons

WinSQL on SAP IQ multiplex with 60,000 objects has been causing significant degradation in performance. The background refresh even caused outages on busy days. Since it was banned, we have seen performance gains and stability of the IQ service has improved.

Nathaniel from Montana-Dakota Utilities

Industry: Utilities

WinSQL is a great tool for developing web tools

During the 30 day trial, I was able to use the full version and I could do pretty much anything I needed to, including being able to explore the server stored procedures and find logic problems our vendor had introduced when programming the database. Currently, I still use it daily to pull information and compile reports and am very satisfied with it's performance.

Pros

I like that WinSQL has all the features needed to find information in most databases even if using the free version. I use it to connect to an Informix server while MS SQL server manager will not.

Cons

The restriction to a single server connection in the free version is an annoyance, but I understand it's incentive to purchase the full version.

Shane from Knoxville Teachers Federal Credit Union

Excellent, flexible SQL query tool

This is my go-to SQL query tool, and has been for many years. It does what it says. I do wish there were some better options for interface colors or theming, but it works well without that.

Pros

Very easy to setup to and use just about any database connections you’d need.

Cons

The interface looks a bit dated. If there are any auto-formatting features for sql code I haven’t found them. A mini-map for larger queries would also be helpful.

Response from Synametrics Technologies

Replied March 2019

Auto-formatting feature will be available in the upcoming version 12.

Chris from DSC Logistics

Industry: Warehousing

WinSQL the way to pull your data

Generally use it for adhoc data collection and the base to create user refresh able excel sheets.

Pros

I have medium level SQL skills. WinSQL is easy to use with no extra stuff. WinSQL never slows me down. I like the different tabs and the ability to keep the query on the session.

Cons

Hard to export large data sets (over 200k records)

Response from Synametrics Technologies

Replied March 2019

Chris, WinSQL should be able to export over 200K records. Could you please contact our support so we can investigate why is it not letting you do that.

Kevin from Novant Health

Great tool for quick, on-the-fly analysis

Great tool for its usage as a quick and dirty tool for building and formatting queries on the fly.

Pros

Easy to connect to multiple database platforms; color coding and formatting are very helpful; logging history

Cons

Sometimes it pings the database to pull all tables to help retrieve a table or column name-- can take a while and slow things down; script DDL does not always work

Reasons for Choosing WinSQL

Mainly price and basic features needed

Georgios from IBM Canada Ltd

A handy tool for all uses

Great experience and I recommend this SW to all my colleagues for a daily use.

Pros

It's very easy to use and it doesn't require much of resources. In every use, we can obtain tips. It's very easy to search for WinSQL solutions related to our needs.

Cons

The pro version is the best for all people. The SQL Lite version is perfect for people with a good SQL knowledge.

A simple SQL editor

I have used WinSQL for finding and fixing data errors in ERP systems: eg: Make items with no BOMs, BOMs where components are missing from item master etc.

Pros

Ease of use, and bundled ODBC drivers mean WinSQL is the easiest way to extract data from virtually any database.

Cons

The Free "Lite" version is missing some useful features, but that is what one would expect.

Joe from Sanmina

WinSQL Champs

I have been using WinSQl for about 9 years and it has been a great choice. Each new version come with new innovative features. Keep it up Synametrics!

Pros

The product is affordable and is packed with many advanced features. You can schedule to run, you can create groupings / categories of sql

Cons

Not all data base drivers are supported.

Leon from IBM

Industry: Semiconductors

Queries with WinSQL

We have to constantly extract information form our DB2 databases. WinSQL is a fantastic tool to do so.

Pros

The lite version is very easy to install and easy to use and it's free!

Cons

With the new version, the software ask us frequently to reconnect. Secondly, maybe it's because I don't know how to do it but I'm not able to change the font size. I would also like to be able to remove the yellow area that pops up when you run a request.

Patrick from FM Logistic

Why did I using MySQL

Pros

Connection to each ODBC databases. Possibility to have query results in full page, in table or in text (for multiple select)

Cons

Since last version, it's impossible to do a search on a text result. Impossible to do a direct connection with a database (with IP adress)

Response from Synametrics Technologies

Replied March 2019

You should be able to connect to a database using just the host IP. That information is stored in the ODBC DSN. Contact our support if you need further help regarding this.

Richard from Computer Software

WinSQL Review

I really like the software and have had very few problems with it. It's easy to install, easy to use, pretty fast and reliable.

Pros

Free to use. Easy to use. Reliable and fast.

Cons

On INFORMIX databases, it sorts the tables in the Catalog Details tab by owner. Owner is worthless and this make finding one table time consuming if you have over 1300 tables like we do.

Jay from Contractor

WinSQL - all databases in one place

I have used WinSQL for over 10 years. When I need a tool for querying - I download WinSQL and I'm ready to go.

Pros

If i'm thrown Informix, or MSSQL, or even Access data - I have a single query analyzer/enterprise mgmt tool that lets me connect to any of them.

Cons

I wish it were available on Mac OS, but it's not.

Doug from Discovey, Inc

Been Using it for years

I use it daily for database administration tasks, validation and verification and data extracts to Excel.

Pros

I can use multiple drivers from many different database types

Cons

I haven't really experienced any performance issues or bugs with this software. It has been solid for the 12 years I've used it

Manish from Chubb Asia Pacific

Good Experience

I am quite happy. We deal with 3-4 different types of servers and WinSql comes quite handy

Pros

Ability to connect all types of servers, easy to use, export files easily

Cons

Some performance issues. Sometime Hang-up and then closes automatically

Brian from Stadion Money Management

WIN SQL review

finding data for multiple solutions

Pros

easy to search multiple databases and have multiple queries open.

Cons

troubleshooting database connections and access can be difficult to navigate with the provided error messages

Allan from Quantium Solutions

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Winsql and Me

Scheduling of queries and distribution of basic reports to users

Pros

Winsql offers features over and above that of SSMS to a point where its my preferred querying tool. Its features to create scheduling and email tasks is great and the tool for creating executable queries is a real bonus

Cons

The one thing I can see that it really lacks is error prompting as SSMS has

Herman from Programacion Mecanizada, C.A. - PROMCA

Developer

We are developers and we need to be able to interact with different databases of the market, in many cases it has allowed us to migrate data to carry out our applications on the different entities

Pros

To be able to connect with multiple types of database Good tool for migration between databases

Cons

Response from Synametrics Technologies

Replied March 2019

You can connect to a JDBC datasource if you have a ODBC-JDBC bridge, which is developed by a few third-party companies.

Levi from Ontario Systems, LLC

WinSQL review

Pros

I like the ability to sort results by specific columns.

Cons

I would like the ability to remove columns that I do not want in my results. For example, if it returns nothing.

Luis from Farmacia Chavez

My everyday app

I use it since v6.5 and it's my favourite app for the job

Pros

Versatility, fast for loading, lighter than SQL Managment Studio

Cons

lite features are annoying instead of restrictive

Stephanie from Nielsen Catalina Solutions

Industry: Market Research

Data Storage

I have learned so much about the quality of company data using WinSQL. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this product

Pros

I work with a lot of data, so the vast amount I can store and work with is nice.

Cons

It times out all of the time and some of the user-friendly settings are hard to track down

Wyatt from Infotrax Systems

SQL made simple

I have used this tool for 15-20 years, great product.

Pros

lite software easy to use easy to setup great tool

Cons

I am having ha hard time putting anything here, it just works, you could say its simplicity is a con or a pro.

lynda from Banner Health

WinSQL Easy to use

Pros

Makes writing SQL super easy and getting the reports out of WinSQL is easy too.

Cons

I'm not the best at using the popup window with column names in it.

Aaron from Kaiser Permanente

Pretty good product

Pros

I like how it is very easy to use and learn. As a relatively new employee with limited experience, I did not have a hard time learning how to navigate WinSQL.

Cons

There are a couple of times where my sheets would freeze up and I am unable to access them without closing all my other open sheets.

Divya from IBM

Review for WinSQL

Pros

It is useful to execute the query's and get their corresponding results..

Cons

It frequently asks for WinSQL key and works too slow sometimes

James from University of Pittsburgh at Bradford

A great SQL report writer option

Pros

I really liked the fact that WinSQL takes up very little memory, and it has not issues handling very large datasets. I also like the ability to quickly modify syntax and re-run scripts.

Cons

I wish there was just a few more options for outputs (easier cross-tabs or charts) and perhaps a little more GUI for using the product.

Benjamin from Innovative Software Solutions

WinSQL is great

Pros

WinSQL is the defacto client for our techs and customers to do queries and analyze data.

Cons

Not much to dislike, Price is always a consideration but this ia value.

Sudeep from Information Services

Pros

Can connect to multiple windows and databases.

Cons

User interface is great. And the result space allows to copy the complete data.