All Dentrix Ascend Reviews

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed April 2020

Good software

Good to fair. I use it at offices when I temp

PROS

I first was introduced to dentrix in dental hygiene school. At the time, It was the only dental software I knew of and felt as though it was pretty easy to use. In hygiene school, you do not use the software to its' best ability because we are limited to what we do w the dental charting, etc. I have used dentrix often during temping and do find it a little confusing, but I seem to manage pretty well with help from staff.

CONS

I am not a big fan of dentrix, I think it can be confusing and non-user friendly at times.

greg

Executive Office, 1,001-5,000 employees

Multi-site infrastructure

support, from both my customer success manager, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], as well as the tech support team have made the experience of converting to Ascend easy to manage

PROS

ability to report, review, and manage all offices without having to be on site.

CONS

there are many of my current feature requests included in the road map, but currently i would like to see a marketing campaign tool.

Reason for choosing Dentrix Ascend

the quality of the R&D and product management team with Ascend

Reasons for switching to Dentrix Ascend

to unite all the locations and consolidate reporting for my support team, while creating the opportunity for centralization

Steve

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Reviewed June 2019

Mixed feelings...

We are a multi-site group practice so going to a cloud EMR just seemed essential. Going with HS made sense b/c of the stability. Some features are really great... and some are major works in progress IMO.... some are just lacking altogether. It seems with the financial backing of HS the software could really be developed faster and with more features and if it did that, would probably completely own and dominate the cloud platforms. Right now, within the community of DDS I'm associated with, I still hear people gripe about Ascend and talk about how the prefer other cloud based sofwares... but we just wanted to go w/ Schein b/c of the long term stability. So we're hoping the features that are lacking will be built in soon - hopefully 6-12 months max. Things like online forms, robust a medical history module, a great lab case manager module, and a referral module seem essential to modern group practices...

PROS

Ascend was the obvious choice for us b/c H.S. is a stable company that isn't going anywhere. though we had heard some really good things about a few other platforms... stability seemed critical. The support has been very good through the facebook group and the support of friday forums, etc... this has felt very good...

CONS

There are some - what I would consider very basic- features that I am surprised they would even launch a platform without. Starting with a robust - AWESOME - medical history form that new patients (and even existing patients) could fill out prior to their visit. This feature should be online and built into the software. From what I can tell, groups that have been on Ascend for years are still doing paper... scan... upload to the D.C. That feels very 2005. Thought Ascend is "new" (7 years?) it still lacks an online medical history form and a robust way of customizing, having it pop up at visits, etc. Dentrix core finally just got this... but it hasn't showed up in Ascend yet. Things like referring procedures in the software.... right now there is no way to track referrals. Things like a lab case manager... these are every day things in a dental office and we are stuck using major work arounds with paper tracking and google docs for lab cases and yes- we're struggling to get a good system going. This seems like after 7 years it should be in the software. I'd like to know some realistic timelines (+/- 3 months?) of when features like this might be coming. it's hard to know if "soon" means in 2-3 years or in 3-6 months. Hopefully some of these very "basic" features will be implemented soon.

MIRZA

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Reviewed September 2019

Analyzing the accounts receivables ,unscheduled treatment plans ,recare patients,patients portions and so on are some most needed and valuable reports from the power reporting.

PROS

The best thing i like in this software is there user friendly functionality which make it so different and valuable to all.

CONS

Sometimes it get froze so we need to refresh the browser to proceed.

Reason for choosing Dentrix Ascend

The features in assend are more user friendly and we get new updates too often as per the customer needs.

Kathy

Reviewed June 2019

Every Update Makes it Better

The best thing so far is being able to utilize Patient Communications, emails and texts make a huge difference with our recare.

PROS

This software is so user friendly. We are readily able to find what we need using the drop downs. When we want to add something to a chart it is clear where to find the chart, or notes, etc. Every time there is an applied update it improves the process and makes sense. Ascend is very in-touch with what we, the users, need.

CONS

There are only a few hiccups we have found but they are small and we have found work-arounds; some verbiage in the texts or emails, but they are all being looked at or addressed.

Reasons for switching to Dentrix Ascend

The cloud based system is more streamlined and updated constantly. We have a smaller office and try to stay on top of all new technology when possible.

Bruce

Reviewed November 2019

Dentix Ascend

We are clearly making better decisions and better financial forecasts with the dashboard. It has made the phrase "work smarter, not harder" a reality for us!

PROS

There are multiple things to like about this software. First and foremost is the ease of use and intuitive flow. The second and for some of us, importantly, the support is immediate, friendly and definitive. Problems are easily solved during our busiest time at the office.

CONS

The end of month statement procedure took more time to generate initially than I thought appropriate. There have been continual improvements to that function.

Reason for choosing Dentrix Ascend

The product had the promise of continual improvement and they have delivered.

Reasons for switching to Dentrix Ascend

cloud based with not much progress from Softdent

Matt

Reviewed May 2021

Getting better with every update

PROS

The cloud based platform makes for a great integration between multiple locations. The interface is practical and laid out well (once your are adjusted to it).

CONS

Many updates are still needed, some of which should have been implemented in the first release of the program. Sometimes the program is 'buggy'/slow (we have very fast internet). There should be more options for customization.

Reason for choosing Dentrix Ascend

It provided the most logical and easy to use interface, it offered a great price since we use Schein as our supplier, and I felt that it would be updated more regularly than other products.

Reasons for switching to Dentrix Ascend

We opened a second office and needed to be able to integrate to a cloud based program.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Getting better

We came from dentrix and i liked the icons across the top to access modules

PROS

Login in from anywhere. Flexibility and always evolving. Didn’t like windows updates

CONS

I would like to customize more, especially medical alerts. I don’t want to be notified unless something major in medical and I don’t want to check don’t ask again

See above

Cloud based, didn’t want to replace server every 7 years

Fonda

Civil Engineering, 11-50 employees

Great Software

Been really good experience.

PROS

ease of use. Clean, uncluttered look. Low learning curve for team members

CONS

Has been slow to implement upgrades in the past.

Ease of use

Reasons for switching to Dentrix Ascend

Needed more simple software and more new options and functionality.

Kristen

Reviewed July 2021

Going to be a great product but still in development beta

Not good and we left and switched to Dentrix

PROS

Cloud based and not a lot of clicking to get through software.

CONS

It just was not ready to handle to the hustle and bustle of the day to day of a busy practice.

Cloud based

Upgrading

Hi Kristen, thank you for sharing your experience; we are sorry to hear it was not a positive one. If you are willing to share with us additional details, we would love the opportunity to give you a better experience. Please email us at HS1SocialMedia@henryschein.com with additional details.

Replied August 2021

Katie

Reviewed November 2018

Better than some, but needs more work

I like that updates are somewhat frequent & it seems as though the developers really are pushing to make it a great system. However, it is apparent that the developers have not spent much time behind the scenes in a dental office. Some of the updates seem incomplete and/or rushed and we end up with more problems than solutions. I am still optimistic and hope that more updates and features are coming in the very near future!

PROS

It is nice to not have to worry about a server with a cloud based system. The imaging is impressive and easy to use. In time & with updates, Dentrix Ascend will be a great program.

CONS

Having to refresh Ascend multiple times throughout the day is stressful. Specifically, when there are changes in the schedule, a user may not see it for 30 minutes or longer because they have not refreshed the page. A cloud based system should always be current. Patient Forms are not something we can use because they can't be customized. Unfortunately, if you choose to use a form, it must go to every patient and you must use the developers content. I really wish the Patient Communications feature were better. I miss not having a way to automatically ask patients for reviews after appointments, it was our best marketing effort & now have no way of doing it. There is no way to send out an email campaign to several patients. An API is so important and it should be a top priority. Not being able to utilize 3rd party software or even customize what we are able to use in Ascend leaves us in an uncomfortable position. There are several aspects of various items missing or incomplete that are common sense in all other practice management software.

Veronica

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Feedback

Overall we switched because we were trying to access all patients from all locations and switching to this software has allowed us to do that.

PROS

I love that we can login with ease from anywhere, it allows us to look at charts and complete tasks from any location. I also love the dashboard, it shows what claims need to be worked on and helps keep the team on track.

CONS

The clinical team has not been happy with the way the chart is and when you are placing the treatment and existing treatment in.

Lane

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Great Patient Management Software

The software has done exactly what we need and they continually are releasing new features that make the software more reliable. I love that it is all cloud based and we don't need a local server.

PROS

One of the most intuitive user interfaces of any dental software that I have seen. Great functionality and reporting tools.

CONS

Like any big brand software, feature requests take quite a while to be implemented, if ever.

Price, User Interface, Features, Support, track record

Veronica

Medical Practice, 51-200 employees

Dentrix Ascend Review

We have used it for several years and have never had any major issues.

PROS

It is very user friendly. If you have any issues with any part of the software you can go to the help center or community forum and find the answers you are looking for.

CONS

Setting up reports are a bit difficult, and entering patient information sometimes doesnt transfer to a family member.

Reason for choosing Dentrix Ascend

Reports are still easier than Curve Hero.

Dorca

Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2019

Keeping it real-

Our team just got onboard with the online booking feature and it seems to reaching those hard to reach recare patients, which is great.

PROS

As a first time dental software user, I am pleased with the interface and ease of navagating through Dentrix Ascend. I love that they are constantly updating and bringing new features to Ascend that are specific requests of most of their customer base. They go above and beyond hearing and addressing our needs as the consumer.

CONS

What areas of improvement I feel are needed, having the ability to change an insurance from primary to secondary and visa versa without using so many clicks and steps. Also having the ability to print detailed receipts for specific collections, more specifically for Flexible Spending and End of year tax statements. Otherwise, perfect system.

Joseph

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2021

A God-Send During the Pandemic!

Very user friendly!

PROS

I couldn't have asked for better timing of the implementation of Dentrix Ascend into my practice. Orientation and conversion went so well! Three months after our launch COVID struck. I was able to maintain contact with my patients to augment emergency care and communications.

CONS

The VoicePerio just didn't meld into the Dentrix Ascend Software. I believe that someday integration will improve.

Cloud-based access.

Esmeralda

Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 employees

Dentrix Survey

Overall it was easy to learn

PROS

It was easy to learn how to use and not having any prior training on it I liked the software.

CONS

there are certain features I wish it had. for example to keep track of NP referrals it the listing is not in there BEFORE the patient sees our provider it will not capture that listing when its put in after the patient was seen its aggravating because some patients don't fill out their paperwork until the day of the appt and it gets so busy crazy that I forget to put in who referred them and by the end of the month if I go back and put in the referral after it wont capture it it on New Patient list and I end up having to manually do a list on my end.

Reason for choosing Dentrix Ascend

I was not here when the software was purchased

Kelsie