• Pros

• "Easy to use. All the information is easy to view from one patient screen."

• "Easy to use and understand. Easy to learn the functions. User friendly and color coded well. Easy to access all patient information with a few clicks. "

• "Very easy to use! I had never worked in a dental office before and was trained to use Open Dental! Reports were very easy to get to for the Doctor!"

• Cons

• "Takes a bit of time to get use too, but what new software doesnt."

• "The accounts were sometimes confusing to read, BUT the customer service was amazing to help us figure it all out!"

• "I wish more graphic interactive modules being added to better demonstrate in clinical mode. Intra communication tools enabled. "

Browse Open Dental Reviews

Katie from Seamless Virtual Solutions

Would Never Recommend Anything Else!

Love it, love it, love it!

Pros

Honestly, can’t say enough! Ease of use, accessibility to all features, ledger is simple/easy to understand, payment allocation is perfect, customization is amazing. Not one thing I DONT LIKE ABOUT!!

Cons

I honestly can’t think of one single thing I don’t like about it. Especially since I’m at an office that uses Dentrix.

Stanislav from Alpha Plus Dental

My Server Crashed and Open Dental came to my rescue!!

So, my physical server just crashed this past Tuesday the 1st of January 2019. The 2 of the 3 hard-drives on the server were corrupted, last one barely had accessible data. The other backup, the "Cloud" back up would not sync, there was an issue with the password that could not be recovered. I was dead in the water. I got on the phone with rep from Open Dental. This guy is top rate IT man, he knows the software, the code, etc. An emergency data recovery team was able to get rep a semi corrupted, semi correct version of my data and he put it all back together for the office. Rep and his team worked hard and now i'm back up and running. I could not have asked for better customer support. By the way, the only way Rep was able to allocate his resources towards my project was an OK from the CEO, so rep was literally on the phone with the CEO and who okay his staffs' time. So the company has an empathetic leader, who allowed the allocation of much of his resources to rebuild my database. I would have lost all my patient's data, the appointments, the amount the they paid me, the existing treatment plans, the previous work done, it would have just been a disaster for my business, literally starting over with nothing. public service announcement: just because you run back ups doesn't mean you shouldn't physically test them to make sure you have access to the data. Back to Open Dental, the CEO and IT team lead by rep and saved my business, I'm extremely grateful. Again, Open Dental is a top notch company with top notch staff!!!!

Pros

Amazingly easy to use and constantly being updated with latest versions, you don't need to wait for a new full release, like some other dental software programs. Open dental techs just update your software with new features when they develop them. The software is free and the monthly IT fee is 110% worth it.

Cons

Its really difficult to find any cons with a software that is personalized. If you do find an issue, the IT team calls you back withing 10mins and there is almost nothing that they can't work out for you by use of screen sharing etc.

Rex from Inspire Business Solutions

Great Software at a Great Price!

Open Dental has been great, and hoping to expand with the software as we open more offices. The features are in depth and offer us the abilty to use technology to stay current with innovations. Playing to use the 3D features and online appointments.

Pros

Open Dental has so many features, and the ability to add features with modules was a key reason we decided to go with them in a new clinic. The ability to network our entire system and not getting hit with expensies for needing multipe license was a strong reason for us to use Open Dental.

Cons

Not cloud based. Hoping that they move to a cloud based system in the near future. The security features of cloud based would really help us to stay HIPPA compliant without having to spend so much time securing data, backups, etc.

kayla from Dental

Open dental is easy to use once you get a hang of it

Pros

I love that I can go to open dental website if I ever have any questions about the software or it’s functions

Cons

It’s not like any other dental softwares on the market. It functions completely different. But I would still recommend

Nathan from Signature Smiles Dentistry

Great Dental Software

Overall, the best software that you can find out there. Highly superior to Dentrix. Things are streamlined with open dental. The support is also very very helpful. They can remote into your computer and fix anything. It is great to even call support to ask questions about learning the features of the software.

Pros

The absolute best dental patient management software out there! I switched from Dentrix to Open Dental...the best decision that I have ever made. Everything is organized and where it should be. The software was created by a dentist, so the layout is more ideal for our dental minds! It is so simple to view patient information. I really like how customizable the software is for my office. We are also to change colors, location of info, and so much more. I really like open dental.

Cons

The software interface is nothing fancy. This is not a huge deal, but there certainly could be some improvement in this area. I am a high tech doctor, and want everything in my office to reflect the same. Open dental is very "basic" in its look.

Robert from Robert M. Hersh DMD

OUTSTANDING; SUPERB; FIRST RATE; TERRIFIC; NUMERO UNO. OPEN DENTAL IS THE BEST!!!

We have been using Open Dental since 2009 and love the program. It is incredibly robust and does everything we need and more. Open Dental enabled us to become a paperless, chartless practice. Customer support is second to none. They are extremely attentive to their customers needs. Updates are continually being released, not just once every year or more. True story. I once called the customer support line. I reached their voice mail and since it was almost closing time I didn't bother to leave a message, I figured I would call back the next day. Well I'm sitting at my desk and the phone rings and I see it is area code 503. So I pick up and the person says, "This is Open Dental. How can we help you? I was blown away. I asked him how he know I called and he said he saw my number on their caller ID. Well, how many companies call you back even when you DIDN'T leave a message? That is how dedicated they are to customer satisfaction. Another time, I had a serious problem after a windows upgrade and couldn't get OD to work. They spent hours remotely working on my machine and escalated it to their top techies. And it was really a problem with Windows not Open Dental that caused the problem. No where else would you get that kind of service. I was so grateful for all their efforts I found a pizza place near them on the internet and ordered several pizzas and had them delivered. I don't know anybody who uses Open Dental who doesn't love the company and the software.

Pros

Extremely customizable. You can create queries and get just about any information you want out of the database. You can be truly paperless and chart-less. It doesn't take long to learn the ins and outs. The software is constantly being improved. They take suggestions and advice from their users and try to implement what the users ask for. They even have a system where you can vote on feature that you and other users post, and the ones with the most votes get the top priority. It is not expensive.

Cons

The are growing so fast I worry that they will lose some of the feeling of being a small, intimate company. So far that hasn't been a problem.

xochitl from Happy Teeth Dental

Great dental software.

You can use this to set up your office in a digital format. From patient forms to monthly reports. It works well with other programs, too.

Pros

It's open source, which I love, therefore, I'm able to change, adjust and add forms, lab slips, charting and much more. Reports are easy and the selection is great. The interface is user friendly and quick to learn. The fees are minimal, if desired to have support, to free. The are certain programs that can be purchased or added for a fee, mobile view, e-claims etc.

Cons

I don't like that only one section can be opened at a time. You can't have the patient chart and the schedule open at the same time.

Response from Open Dental Software

Replied June 2018

Thank you for the great review. Note that you mention that you can only open one section at a time. Some areas do allow this, but for the main windows that do not, simply open multiple instances. I always keep two instances open so that if I am about to check someone out, for instance, yet I want to work on another account or take incoming calls, I can do both at once! (Nathan, CEO Open Dental)

Jennifer from Springbrook Family Dentistry

Love open dental!

Open Dental is one of the least expensive practice management softwares while also being the most thorough. Reports can be modified to your specifications and the software is very easy to use and learn.

Pros

Open dental is one of the most comprehensive practice management softwares for dental available. Everything for each patient is one one screen (unlike many others that have the medical history separate).

Cons

A lot of set up can be involved in order to make autonotes. While this is time consuming it is very worth it and saves time in the long run.

Hannah from Medical Practice

Overall great software

Overall a great software that makes many of the tasks of a dental office more streamlined.

Pros

The vast amount of features allow for keeping as much of what we do in one program as possible. Scheduling is a breeze, keeping logs of communication between staff and patients is simple and easy to find, and its nice to be able to view imaging inside the same program that we enter chart notes.

Cons

The only issue I have with this software is the billing aspect. The way statements are structured with both payment plans and regular account info makes no sense to patients, and confusion over that accounts for a large portion of our calls.

Jennifer from Turnage Family Dentistry

Open Dental

Pros

Easy to use. All the information is easy to view from one patient screen.

Cons

Takes a bit of time to get use too, but what new software doesnt.

Aubri from Pena Adobe Dental Care

Dental Software for Real People

Pros

So easy to use. Easy to learn. All questions can be answered with a simple google search. If not, you can call and the support team will call you right back with an answer. No spending hours on the phone on hold like with some other software companies.

Cons

Nothing, open dental is constantly improving their product.

Open Dental is an amazing piece of software, with excellent support and customization

Much, much less time on hold for support. Much less reason to even call support. This program is incredibly well made, and just works. It's super easy to install, and it integrates with pretty much all of the imaging software that's out there. Make no mistake - you can not go wrong with Open Dental.

Pros

Being that this is an open source program for dental practice management, there are a wide variety of plug-ins and customization that are out there. Also, the support is amazing. Many of our clients use Open Dental, and we support it in our business. When you call for support, they'll remember your name, and there's barely any hold-time when comparing to Schein or Patterson, which can have 30+ minutes of hold time at times. Open Dental has a lot of reports that you can run as well, and it's easier in comparison to some of the competitors. This is by far our favorite dental practice management software, and we use and support all of them. The cost is fair as well. This software has incredible value.

Cons

There's not much I don't like about this software, since it's so easy to install and to use. I would say the biggest con, is that when people are changing software to open dental, there's a bit of a steep learning curve. However, that's true of all dental practice management software.

Katelyn from Good Neighbor Dental

Easy software to use! Very clean layout!

Treatment plans are simple to explain to the patient with the tooth chart! Very easy to use! The first software I ever used while training to be an office manager! Our doctor loved the price of the software!

Cons

Response from Open Dental Software

Replied December 2016

Thank you for your thoughtful review Katelyn. If anyone ever does have issues with our support, our management team, programmers and CEO (me) are available to be escalated to. -Nathan Sparks

December 2014

A from Valleyview Dental Clinic

December 2014

One of the best.

Pro: Open Dental (OD) is one of best dental practice management software (DPMS) with a very affordable cost. One license fee for the whole office instead of the per module, per workstation licensing scheme for other software. Once the initial license fee is paid, additional payments is for updating, not to keep operating the software (some DPMS have an expiry date which forces the user to pay the license fee for another period to keep operating it). Imagine shutting down your office or transferring to another DPMS and having to pay the license fee for the span of years required by law to have the charts available in case of board inquiry or file transfer to another office. OD is updated frequently and has a feedback system to implement the most popular requests. The source code is available so if the company ever shuts down, the software will survive because other developers can assume development. It is also very robust and any glitches are quickly addressed in the next version. It doesn't need the most advanced hardware and can function relatively well will hardware that are 2-3 generations old. It doesn't need a full fledge server and can function in network peer to peer mode with Windows home (i.e. no domain) or in Server/client with different flavors of Windows server/Windows professional or ultimate (i.e. domain mode). Con: no turnkey installation unless one has a secondary service company in the area who is familiar with the software. Familiarity with computer system would ease installation greatly.

Lauren from Best dental help

Open dental

I have enjoed the customization of this tool. The tech support has been better then I have experienced. My favorite aspect is that open dental is open source which makes it very flexible and robust in it's capacity.

Pros

Customization

Cons

So many functions I could use more training

Nancy from Staley Dental Arts

First time Open Dental User

Their support team is great! Always pleasant and very friendly. I have never felt like I was being rushed when I had a problem and needed their help.

Pros

I like the fact that if I don't understand how to use a function, even after reading instructions in their help section, they have never once made me feel like a lesser person.

Cons

not being tech savvy enough to follow the directions for help and end up having to call support for help

Ease of patient care

Open dental has helped keep positive patient experiences, and has helped with the flow of work. I was able to learn how to navigate this software in a week!

Pros

This software keeps patients information mostly in one location. It is easy to navigate compared to other dental software.

Cons

If you are using another software for patients to update their medical history, it does not sync well.

Aubrey from McDonough Center for Family Dentistry

So easy a child could use it

I came into the dental field knowing absolutely nothing about dentistry. Open dental makes it super easy to learn from and to navigate from task to task. We have other offices that use dentrix, and I can not stand trying to use that. Open dental is definitely the best for any dentist office.

Pros

Everything is color coordinated. It's very easy to use that my 2 year old could figure it out. It's like connect the dots but for dental.

Cons

Support some times can be slow in responding to our needs when the systems go down, but it is very rare when this happens and when it does, I completely understand because they always end up fixing it within the 24-48 hour time frame.

Solid and easy to use!

Haven’t had any problems and it runs smooth!

Pros

It’s easy to find my way around. It integrates well w Dexis.

Cons

W this last update there is a pop up that shows up when leaving a pts chart that is annoying.

Ashley from Blackford Dental

Open Dental software is amazing and EASY to use!! Love the software

I love this software and the customer support is friendly and well knowledged.

Pros

Easy to navigate and use. The easiest software to learn for anyone in the dental field. I call Open Dental the "Software for Dummies"

hannah from Blackforddental Management

Open Dental is highly Recommended

Pros

Open Dental is very easy to navigate. I have used other softwares Eaglesoft and Dentrix. Eaglesoft is very similar to Open Dental. Dentrix has a 1 Star rating compared to Open Dental. Open Dental has a up to date look and the features are non comparison to others. You would have to see for yourself. The ease of setting templates to your schedules, adding patients, viewing notes, creating reports, the list can go on and on.

Cons

This could be a server problem but we have a very large company and when connecting remotely from another location the system runs very slow.

August 2016

Kandhappan from Dr Pillai's dental

August 2016

OpenDental is the best software out there

I have been using open dental for almost 12 years now and It comes across as the most configurable and customizable dental software.If someone couldn't figure out how to customise a flexible software could only be attributed to the lack of motivation or ability to put into good use, a strong workhorse

Pros

You name it -Once the modules are customised as per the Practices requirements then it is a breeze Has almost all the features any dentist could ask for and are upgrading on daily basis

Cons

Yes they have some features, which are in the process of being implemented through time

Amber from Chattanooga Dental Studio

We love what OpenDental offers!

We tell people to make the switch to OpenDental all the time!

Pros

Everything—the support is awesome. The software is always adapting to what dentists need in ways that actually benefit them and the program isn’t bloated with a bunch of “features” that aren’t useful.

Cons

I hate to complain because there’s not too much to complain about... but we don’t love that you can’t edit the hours on the schedule to only start at 6 or 7 AM and end at 6 PM. Again... petty.

David from Pier 210 Dental Group

Compared to the other major programs, OD is easy to use, inexpensive and takes very little computer power.

Pros

Ease of use. Almost anyone can use it with minimal training. Very intuitive and well laid out. Works on any computer.

Kayla from BracesBraces

Open dental

Pros

The ease of navigating throughout the program.

Cons

The system does crash if internet service is lost.

Kathy from North American Dental Group

Open dental is a good product

Pros

Cons

Slow at times, and can be glitchy. Some functions have too many steps to get to hat you need to do.

Frank from Excel Dental Group

Very intuitive software in which more options are being added upon new updates. More bangs for buck

Pros

Prompt customer services & technical supports. Very intuitive & regular updates in which more options being added.

Jenny from Blackford Dental

Easy to learn and use

Pros

Able to search multiple offices at one time Easy to learn the software Easy to find the areas of the patient chart that is needed

Cons

Occasionally have issues with getting the appointment area open to find a patient account that is needed

ASHLEY from BLACKFORD DENTAL MGMT

open dental

Open Dental is a very well liked software by all of our employees. It is easy to use, especially when having to train.

Pros

easy to use, very straight to the point, icons show you exactly what you are looking for, everything you need is at the click of a button

Cons

The only issue I have with this software, is that if you have multiple offices you have to look up a patient by each office. There is not 1 search place that will search a patient at all locations.

Pamela from TexSmiles Dental PLLC

By far the best dental managment software

Pros

I love the intuitive nature and ease of use. I've used Dentrix before and it was so cumbersome

Cons

I don't like how support charges you to call them.

I love it, it's very easy to use

Pros

It is a very complete software for any dental office. It is very easy to use, it helps you to organize your day to day in a very efficient way, I recommend it.

Cons

it becomes slow on some occasions, and technical support does not solve the problem quickly, usually takes one or two days

Lee from Brighter.com

Easy to use with manageable reporting

Makes management of dental practice predictable.

Pros

Extraction of data; patient profile is complete. Access is easy to control. Notes capabilities are great for documentation; would be nice if administrative notes were separate from clinical notes. X-rays integrated with the software.

Cons

Some data not extracted in an easy to use format. Need more levels of access to give specific tasks to specific individuals. Use of prompts to complete data fields would be a nice enhancement.

Samina from Dental office

Great

I would recommend open dental to all. Very user friendly.

Cons

I wish it was cloud based and we could accesss the information from any office.

Dominic from Moreton Bay Technology

Nice apps for dental clinic scheduling

Pros

The tooth charting is very important feature that can be stored and also can import the dental x Ray then can full out any time

Cons

I did like this apps because only a windows based i recommend to have web based for this that accessible by online users

Tori from Oak Brook Smiles

open dental review

Pros

the software was very much like dentrix, easy to learn

Cons

you can not customize and integrate other certain software.

June 2016

Justin from Yum Technology, Inc.

June 2016

Converting this week

Pros

Free demo conversion to let you experience the product side by side with your existing software. It runs on Linux so the performance is better and can be tweaked. Support is really helpful. The cost is really low and does not include charges for additional plugins or devices. It is all inclusive. Support drops to really low monthly after 12 months (you can even stop paying after 6 months if you feel like you do not need support any more). This is Open Source software, so all the benefits that come with open source are included.

Cons

No way to put the server in the cloud because the data is sent unencrypted. This is fine on a local network, but makes it impossible to host the server in the cloud (like Amazon).

Illya from Gowanus Dental

Overall excellent experience.

Pros

Ease of use is and ability for new staff to learn on is fantastic. The support is easily accessible and every issue has been resolved quickly.

Cons

There are some graphics that can be updated, but overall I have ad a great experience. I would and have recommended this product.

Kathy from Glen Gallimore DDS

We love Open Dental

We are a single dentist practice that converted in September. The conversion went smooth, the system is very user friendly. Anything that we can't figure out is easily and promptly answered by their support staff. Even on Saturdays and Holidays.

Pros

very user friendly yet has the capability to provide what we need.

Cons

Have not run across anything yet!

Jennifer from Orthontics by Birth, Stewart, & Fletcher

User Friendly Software

Easy to learn for someone who is new to general dentistry. I was able to quickly start using after working with only orthodontic software for 10 years.

Pros

The online tutorials and customer service so far have been excellent for learning this new software in our practice.

Cons

There isn't a lot of room for customization in the different letters. It can be tricky when the form letter isn't exactly what you need.

evelyn from ion dental group

very convenient

Pros

This software is very organized and very easy to use the features are so convenient for reminders on patients management

Cons

too many features to choose from. its better to get trained to use all the features

Response from Open Dental Software

Replied October 2018

Thank you Evelyn! If you ever do have an issue, you can always escalate to management as needed. I appreciate your kind review. Nathan Sparks CEO Open Dental

Dentrix is Better

Pros

I've used Open Dental for almost 6 months now after using Dentrix for almost 3. I think Open Dental has too much functionality which is a good and bad thing. I often get lost when looking for certain things.

Cons

Not the most user friendly dental CRM software available.

September 2016

David from McLean Dental Group

September 2016

Open Dental solves the problem that was Dentrix

I just finished a recent transition from Dentrix. Everything is easier and more straight forward. Thank you OD

Pros

I can customize anything I want. Even the Hygienists love it.

Cons

They seem to be growing very fast. On 2 issues where I was cleaning up a mess made by Dentrix, their customer support gave me inaccurate advise. Both times on a future call I would get a straight answer from another rep. They need to learn when they do not know the answer, and just say so!

Dr. Fady from M&G Family Dentistry

Great product , great price

Very user friendly dental software that can integrate with anyother software with no locks , great price .

Pros

User friendly , great price , easy to use , full integration with other software

Cons

May be they should free initial training in house

Haylie from Flat rate doctors

Confusing dinosaur program

Pros

The drag and drop feature is nice. Note section in appointments

Cons

Overall confusing and not user friendly at all.

lisa from Health, Wellness and Fitness

Open Dental

It would be great to have a mandated educational technician come to the office prior to launching for the dental staff to truly understand the software. It is uncomfortable to be learning it in front of the patient.

Pros

There is some versatility to this software that Eaglesoft and others don't have

Cons

There is a learning curve, especially when you are used to Eaglesoft or Dentrix.

Jennifer from The Dentists at Greenway

Very easy software to learn!

Pros

The icons are very large and it is easy to find what you are looking for. The first time I used it I felt like I had used it several times before!

Cons

I feel that there are too many steps in order to get to things such as the "notes" section. I had to write the steps down at first so I would remember.

Mykola from MK Smile

Don't waste money

Pros

Not bad for small office if you do not plan to grow

Cons

be careful,they change the price without warning and then deceive that they talked about it!

Majida from Yenepoya

An easy to use software.

I found it very interesting, useful and worth . It is apt and can be recommended to colleagues.

Pros

It is simple and can be well understood by dental assistants too.

Cons

The software is pretty good. I don't have any cons to report.

Janis from KRR, DDS

Not user friendly for beginners.

This software is not easy to use or user-friendly, it's a little frustrating if you have to switch screens and remember info from other areas, X-rays are not transferable.

Pros

Software needs updating in X-ray and treatment planing.

Cons

It keeps family groups together for insurance proposes.

R D from R D Fernandes DDS

Open Dental

Pros

This is a service that has help a colleague of mine and now I am waiting fr my opportunity in my region.Patients are referred to the practice.

Cons

The wait to be able to get on the referral list.