Browse Travis CI Reviews

Ian from Wildfire Systems

CI tool that has a lot of value for the money

I started using Travis initially because I needed a way to have consistent builds of our desktop software (built on Electron). Travis has just the tools I needed to make this happen. Doing local builds of the software was processor intensive, I had to go check the status of the build and I was always changing software on my local machine so sometimes builds would fail because I changed something. Travis has completely containerized build machines so you get the same result every time. We now use it for building all our software. I don't know what we'd do without it.

Pros

* Affordable (it's priced based on users/seats) * Documentation is solid and easy to follow. I've never needed to contact support. There's good online Q&A since Travis has a large user base. * Versatile (whatever software you're building, there's a recipe for it) * Github integration : you get realtime build status RIGHT in Github which is awesome, once you get your system set up, you rarely ever visit Travis again. It just works.

Cons

There's really nothing I didn't like about Travis. Some of the quirks of Electron were the trickiest things to figure out, but that's not Travis's fault. There's a little learning curve when you go from building locally to building remotely with Travis where you need to understand how to set environment variables and retrieve those values in your config/script.

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

We didn't look at other options. Circle CI would have been the likely comparison but I don't think at the time we made the selection there was much online about Circle CI supporting Electron builds. It may have been possible, but the Electron community was definitely more affiliated with Travis CI. We knew we wanted something hosted, so we didn't look at Jenkins (which, I think, requires you to host and manage it yourself).

Tamseel from Linknbit

Travis CI is great automation tool is easy to configure and run.

We have used Travis ci for automation of code building, testing and deployment. Travis CI is one of the top continuous integration and continuous delivery tool available in the market. We usually use Travis CI for medium scale projects because it easy to use, few minutes of configure is needed comparative to Jenkins which require skilled professional to configure it. We have used it for test projects as it is free for public projects. Travis Ci is good for small to medium scale projects, which doesn’t require much of the customization or less complex projects. Travis CI is also good for public and open source projects because it provides free tier for public projects. It’s easy to use, you don’t need any professional skill to set it up.

Pros

Great thing about Travis CI is it’s easy to use, easy to configure and start running it, you can easily integrate GitHub account and whenever you push your code its integrated and tested on Travis CI. Travis CI doesn’t need hosting server to run it unlike Jenkins which require hosting server. For public projects you don’t have to pay, its free to use for you test and open source projects. Testing on different environment, devices, OS is optimized and run synchronously. You don’t have to maintain software updates for Travis CI unlike Jenkins. It is fast for testing code on different environment by having different jobs like you can have separate job for unit testing and separate jobs for integration testing.

Cons

Travis CI doesn’t have that much flexibility respect to customization as compare to Jenkins. Integration with third-party tools is not too much which reduces it flexibility. You code is accessible to Travis CI which is not good for most sensitive projects. You must pay for private projects as comparative to Jenkins which is free for private projects.

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

Travis require less time to configure and it doesn't require hosting server to host it. Online community support is good too.

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

Jenkins require lot of configuration to set it up which require extra time that's why Jenkins is not good for small scale projects. We still use Jenkins for large scale project in that case Jenkins gives lot of flexibility of customization.

Joe from Nord Projects

Great functionality, but unreliable

Pros

Great cross platform support, great interface

Cons

Sporadic failures, patchy reliability. Also the back button doesn't always work on the site?

Ibraheem from Fitogram

why do i need a title?

very happy

Pros

I like that it gives a pride option :D checking previous builds, who issues them and if the failed/passed is very nice. for the most part is is smooth and just does its job.

Cons

finding out why a build failed is sometimes very annoying. scrolling a huge page of logs is not smooth (and maybe some better segmenting options there could be useful) we have a weekly recurring job that fails for linting reasons (but we still need it to run to get sonarQube coverage, idk if this is on us for bad implementation) but then who ever deployed last they get an email saying that the build failed. and we can only opt in or out from the whole thing and not just that type of builds.

Richard from Digital Ticketing Systems Limited

Travis-ing

Pros

It works. Which is always a good thing. Other tools exist, but Travis always seemed the simplest to implement with GitHub.

Cons

Seemingly no reason to change things but reworking the domain. Not exactly sure what the whole point was.

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

Compulsory due to domain name change.

James from LyraPhase

Travis CI: Great overall for over 8 years. Not anymore after travis-ci.COM migration & OSS credits

Overall, Travis CI used to be the best turnkey solution for independent Open Source developers to set up Continuous Integration and Unit Testing pipelines. Thanks to bad actors such as unscrupulous bitcoin miners, this once great free open source community service has been morphed into a paid credit-based system. Lack of customer support responses have pushed independent volunteer open source developers out. We simply cannot afford CI testing when our software is free and open source by design.

Pros

As a long-time user of TravisCI for 8 years, I loved the ease of setting up CI testing pipelines and testing matrices with a single .travis.yml file. It made testing DevOps Chef cookbooks easy and was a great solution that integrated well with test-kitchen.

Cons

When getting a remote VM testing pipeline set up, there are some barriers to ease of debugging. This was primarily due to the lack of live SSH terminal access to poke around at the testing environment to debug job failures. After they added Debug Mode, this became a bit easier. The main problem with Travis-CI was recently introduced with the travis-ci.COM migration. Users were encouraged to migrate projects over to the new website with no way of going back. A new paid credits system was forcibly implemented, with some promise of Open Source credits. All of my projects on TravisCI were free and OSS licensed, so I asked for OSS credits. After a few back and forth emails, I was promised 25k credits. However, after checking in the OSS credits section I still see zero credits listed. It seems that just like that, Travis CI was taken away from OSS users who chose to migrate with no warning about the implications. Travis CI news blog posts explain that this change was made due to some nefarious bitcoin miners abusing their free build systems to mine cryptocurrency. So just like in school where the bad apple ruins it for the rest of the class, now Travis CI has been taken away from small Open Source developers. Please improve your customer support and reinstate OSS credits for independent Open Source developers! Any kind of response or clarity around the application process would be much appreciated!

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

I used to love the ease of setting up a Travis CI pipeline for Open Source projects. Now there are artificial barriers to doing so.

Denis from Yil & Mann GbR

Good product, but very expensive

We are using Travis CI mostly for our products that have a PHP backend and a Angular PWA application. We are prerendering all pages in our CI process which, for some reason got really slow in the last 12-24 month. I dont know if Travis CI is limiting external HTTP requests (which we rely on to get the content to render). For example a project with 500 subpages takes 30minutes to render. We already checked our Backend endpoints and these are not the limiting factor. Running is locally is has a built time for around 5-6 minutes.

Pros

I like the ease of deployments especially with multi-step-deploys of websites where the backend and frontend should be in sync.

Cons

Only thing I need to complain is the pricing. For a small design and development agency like us the price of the "concurrent job"-based plan is way too expensive while our current credit-based plan (which i'm happy that this exist) is very often exceeded due to the nature of our deployments.

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

We are using both currently. Travis CI has advantages in the control of the jobs while our latests test showed us that GitHub Actions is running way faster with our setup (described above)

Nicholas from Tutorbook

Easy-to-use product but support for OSS failing

Pros

I like how easy it is to deploy and get up and running with this software and configuration files, etc (e.g. it's essentially just a commandline which is nice). It was also really nice for all of my open-source projects while travis-ci.org was still running. I could deploy and have builds run without having to worry about money.

Cons

Ever since the move to travis-ci.com, support has been terrible and I've used up all of my free trial credits on my open-source web application's Cypress integration tests (https://github.com/tutorbookapp/tutorbook). I contacted support 5 days ago and still haven't heard back about getting more open-source credits for my account. I seriously miss travis-ci.org (though I completely understand the problems with cryptocurrency mining, etc).

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

I had used TravisCI earlier for building and deployments so I already knew how to use it. I decided to switch back to using TravisCI because CircleCI's configuration just took waaaaay too long to learn and implement correctly.

Francis from Computer Research Institude of Montréal

review

It was amazing until the recent price changes.

Pros

Very easy to setup and many integration examples. Multiple services and environments makes it quick to setup for many testing combinations.

Cons

The pricing has gone up drastically recently and without that much time to adapt. The best way to keep services up and running without getting caught back-and-forth requests of build minutes was to move away from the service.

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

Did not choose it **over** others. Each repo has its own use-case and Travis=CI is employed were applicable and still working. If Travis-CI becomes too troublesome or inconvenient, including money/support wise, our team will move toward other solutions.

Griffith from Sheffield Methods Unit

Industry: Research

Largely self-taught, test driven developer

It's the core, it's the standard, and it does work fairly well. I'm kind of surprised it isn't as straightforwardly automatic to sort from GitHub, and there are some confusing elements to enabling it (and I don't quite understand why it's not more integrated with GitHub actions but maybe I'm wrong on that) but it's the standard, and automating test suits is crucial to good, maintainable code (especially if maintained by a community).

Pros

It's free if your code is open source and lots of other services (like zenodo, netlify etc.) already sort out interoperability, usually a bit sooner than gitlab.

Cons

It might be a lot quicker/better maintained for non-free use, but the options for testing packages in R, for example, are kind of weak and very slow (assuming the examples I've come across are standard). The fact that they only include python2 by default, plus some permission issues means packages using reticulate (for python/R interoperability) have a bit of a pain to get going (and it takes a long time to test). I guess if default options could be better maintained that would be much appreciated.

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

I didn't choose it, my employer did and to work with colleagues this was the only real option.

Jiří from Red Hat Czech, s.r.o.

My OpenSource projects got accustomed to free CI; Travis is no longer that

I feel disappointed by the pricing change

Pros

Established service; Easy to configure; Supports macOS and AArch64 Linux

Cons

Pricing structure for free and Open Source projects

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

It was one of the first services of this kind that was available. Afterwards, I never had a sufficient reason to make a switch.

Lots of features, sometimes build issues, a bit slow

It was a good choice at the time. But I am not sure if there are now better alternatives. I would especially check for a docker based build system.

Pros

Travis has a lot of features which can be setup easily using configuration files. It is free for open source products and not to expensive for company projects.

Cons

Quite often builds are stuck which leads to a huge stop in developments in hour company because we pretty much rely on it. Also the builds starts quite slow.

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

At the time we had other stacks as well which was not supported

Alex from Cisco Systems

Travis CI: One of our sharpest, most reliable, most powerful and transformative tools.

It's a daily productivity driver for our team. Incredibly valuable, reliable, and one of the best tools we have in our development process.

Pros

I pushed hard for my team to build our CI/CD pipeline using Travis. It is just a tremendous tool, and I'm deeply grateful that we have this tool in our toolkit. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] said "If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend the first six of them sharpening my axe." Travis CI is one of the sharpest tools we have, and it's made a massive difference in speeding up our team's productivity. You guys recently gave us the option to upgrade our private Travis CI to include even higher numbers of parallel builds, which made a massive difference to our ability to grow our development team, and to increase the rate at which we build our own software.

Cons

For a while, we were working very hard on our end to try to figure out how to speed up our builds, and had to do quite a bit of work to try to optimize our software architecture to optimize around the limits on build concurrency in Travis. We made some progress on that, but it was slow going, and ultimately you gave us an option to pay for a higher degree of parallelism.

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

Jenkins was very hard for us to instrument from our devops infrastructure, and we struggled to build it into the rapid, reliable, bulletproof kind of tool we needed to build our CI/CD pipeline around. Finally, I advocated for us to move everything to Travis, and to pay to have exactly what we need.

Julian from ReWatt Power Inc

Industry: Renewables & Environment

Good CI

Travis builds, tests and deploys our software to staging and production environments. It is immensely useful, and critical to our software development pipeline.

Pros

Generally very reliable, customizable, extensible. Easy to debug. Is a workhorse.

Cons

Sometimes you'll get builds that won't debug, or builds stuck in the queue forever. This is generally because of some piece of travis infrastructure that has suddenly stopped, but there are no notifications, nor status indications that anything is wrong. Customer service can take the better part of a week to respond, or not at all.

Simpler, cloud hosted.

Adam from University of California Davis

Essential for software development

I am able to conduct a wide variety of tasks from checking compilers, running static analysis, and building documentation.

Pros

Travis-CI was the first CI system I used on my research projects, and to this day Travis-CI still does the heavy lifting on most of my tests during Continuous Integration. It's extremely flexible; I have workflows that run static analysis, security checks, documentation builds, and more. The features and integrations with a number of other systems (GitHub, CodeCov, etc.) make this my go-to CI. I especially appreciate the support for Education customers, other CIs would be quite expensive by comparison.

Cons

Operating systems support can lag. In particular, support for modern C++ compilers can be a bit tricky (it's an old item many of us have raised). The new plans price some organizations (e.g. Boost) out of using it. Support on the MacOS images is not as robust.

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

Travis-CI provides the best pricing tier for Higher Education. I also use AppVeyor and GitHub Actions, but I've worked with Travis-CI for a number of years, so I have more functionality enabled on Travis-CI than the others.

EMANUELE from MX2 SRL

CI / CD in a simple way

I'm very happy about Travis, until now I found always an answer for each need I had

Pros

1. Documentation, maybe the most important value 2. Configuration flexibility in particular GIT SSH custom keys, env variables with sensitive information, build trigger (with inline configuration... very useful for testing configurations), machine SSH encrypted keys, configuration imports, custom scripts 3. Easy integration with GitHub

Cons

Permissions check (it's not so clear understand who can build, who can view build history, who can edit configuration).

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

I already knew TeamCity but there wasn't a cloud version when I choosed Travis. Ionic has a ready to use mobile app configuration and we use it. I never had enough time to setup a Travis configuration build successfully a ionic app.

Eric from LIRIS

Industry: Research

Hard to beat such an offer when in academia

The reproducibility trend is gaining momentum within the academical research community. CI usage, now a must have for software engineering concerns, can easily be stretched to address reproducibility issues and is thus being rapidly adopted.

Pros

- navigating the smooth and complete interface (with a nice github integration) - logs are detailed, thorough and hosted for a long time - jobs don't get to wait for long delays once triggered - great (and generous) customer support - nothing to install on premises

Cons

Every CI offer must face quite technical challenges to address specific/advanced services like dealing with credentials or managing sophisticated job workflows. Travis CI does the job quite nicely on such issues yet the learning curve can be quite steep at first. Yes, Travis CI does offer a thorough documentation, yet getting all the tidbits properly aligned can be a tedious task at first (your mileage may vary).

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

Travis CI is really mature (complete APIs), highly customizable in its usage, reliable and seamlessly hooked-up with github hosted repositories.

Elliott from BPL Marketing

Really simple to use continuous integration.

Pros

We use it to run php unit tests whenever we commit code to a repository. All we have to do is include a file in the root of the project and enable the project in the travis interface. Takes less than 5 minutes to set up fully automated unit testing. Much more easy than setting up your own CI pipeline with the huge amount of different apps that exists. Generous free tier.

Cons

Can be slow at times, documentation can on occasion be more minimal than I would like. As a developer you get used to this though, there are always loads of examples online.

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

Travis works on all major providers.

Pablo from RecargaPay

Functional, but can be better

Honestly I can't say it is better than jenkins. I assume for the compay not having to deal with management and updates is an advantage, but from a user point of view is more or less the same thing. And jenkins blueocean looks way better.

Pros

It works. Does what I expected. Not a fan.

Cons

UI has lots of room for improvemente. As an example Logs screens are annoying, because the scroll hides the header. I only want to scroll the log , not the full screen. When I hover over a build I see a message like 'build #123 passed'. The build number does not tell me anything, it would way better to see the author and the message of the commit, it will save me a click Everywhere you have a commit you should see a tooltip with author/message, not just the link to github

job change

Nathan from USC

Poor customer support

It was great until the pricing model changed and customer service disappeared.

Pros

It's easy to integrate into GitHub and gives students near instant feedback about their code.

Cons

I had a problem with the non-existent customer support. On 1/16 I wrote customer support to get my class organization "blessed" as an educational account. I followed up on 1/26. With no response and credits disappearing, I'll be moving this class and future classes to GitLabs for student work.

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

I heard great things from coworkers.

Nice GitHub Integration

Pros

I like that I can see the live status from GitHub and that the UI is very simple. I can easily find everything. The console output is colorized (it's not in other CI software I've used).

Cons

Sometimes parts of log output is collapsed, which has hidden an error for me before. It took a while, but my team figured it out.

Bruce from EGI Foundation

Powerful, free and easy DevOps

Travis hasn't let me down yet. This services handles more than 90% of our builds.

Pros

Travis does a few things really well: 1. Documentation - the documentation is extensive and complete, and one never has the feeling that there are "hidden features" that only the power users know about. 2. Speed - waiting for more than a few seconds for a build to start is extremely rare. 3. Deploy integrations - builds can be deployed to a set of services easily. This is probably the easiest way to set up continuous deployment if you're on a tight budget.

Cons

The build environment can be somewhat restrictive, forcing one to choose language-specific base images and not giving access to the underlying VM.

Matthew from Laminas Project

Static matrices and changes to OSS terms mean I cannot recommend the product

Our initial years with Travis were successful, and we were quite happy with the product. But over time, the lack of flexibility meant struggling to create and deploy our CI definitions. But the part that killed Travis for us was the change to OSS terms late in 2020. We'd already noticed that our queues would become long, particularly if we had many contributors or maintainers working simultaneously. But with the changes in terms, we quickly ran into a scenario where we ran out of hours by mid-month. This left us with an untenable situation; as an OSS project, we have limited funds, and we would quickly run through those if we purchased a plan. As a result, we are within 1-2 weeks of moving off the platform entirely.

Pros

When we first started using the product, it was one of the few that existed, and it provided us exactly the assurances we needed to have predictable, stable software releases. Idempotent runs made it possible to know exactly when and why something failed.

Cons

Since we produce OSS libraries, it's important for us to test against each language version we support. Unfortunately, there is no way in Travis to dynamically create a matrix based on the library/package definition itself. For instance, we produce PHP libraries, and our package management solution, Composer, allows us to specify in the package the versions we support. Unfortunately, when we change those, we also need to remember to change the Travis definitions to reflect those changes. This becomes a source of error very quickly - Travis may report all is green, but it turns out we haven't added the new PHP version to the matrix, so it's a false sense of assurance. On top of that, it's impossible to succinctly make discrete jobs that do different things. For instance, I don't need to run coding standards checks, static analysis, and documentation linting for every single job in the matrix; I really only need to run these once. But to do that, Travis forces me to define env variables for jobs, and then use conditionals to determine what to run. This makes the CI definitions very convoluted, and, if you have a lot of repositories that need to do the same, hard to distribute when you have changes to make. Other CI systems address this.

Raphael from Ohm Tech

Used to be one of the only good option, not so much more today

We see it here as less and less professional. It started with a lot of time to get new images, the problem of running after 4PM (Berlin time), the cache for ccache that suddenly disappear (which makes us use even more credits, obviously), and we are missing more and more CD. It really feels as if, after Travis was bought, that the board decided to "cash in" money. You even need to pay credits now for OSS? How is that supporting it?

Pros

I liked the ease to setup a new project with it, once you know how to get around the product.

Cons

For sure this new price plan, that was announced a day *after* it was put in place (seriously?). It costs us more than half of the credits to make just one build. The price per minute is just insane. I can have more workers and unlimited build times with Azure DevOps, for about the same amount of money of just the subscription alone (so not counting those Travis add-ons). When the credits are done, then the CI will just block. You need to close and reopen the PR. Problem is that we have other GitHub integrations, so this makes the process really painful.

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

We are actually also using AppVeyor. We didn't choose over Jenkins as it seemed it would still imply too much maintenance time (infrastructure and devop)

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

General maintenance time was too high for our small team.

Jason from Italic Type

Pricing Changes, Botched Rollout

Overall, beyond the pricing switch, I had been very happy with Travis CI. But, after this pricing change without any notice, I have become unhappy with it. At $85/mo to build two projects without any concurrency (it's slow), I'm become less interesting in staying a customer.

Pros

I liked the ease of use getting Travis setup, the caching, and the build matrix.

Cons

I think the concurrency model is terrible. Sometimes when I want to deploy code to staging and production, I have to wait for each PR and commit to build before the push happens. Sometimes this takes 20 minutes for all branches to finish building before a push can happen. Also, I'm very unhappy with the pricing changes roll out. I have been paying for Travis for a couple years now. All of a sudden, my iOS team said they didn't think our builds were working any longer. There were a bunch of builds that didn't go through, saying we didn't have enough credits. Digging in, I realized your pricing model changed. So our builds have not been going through for close to a couple months now. I never received an email that you would be changing the pricing which would then break our builds. This to me is a botched roll out. You should have specifically told me that my iOS builds would stop working. In our dashboard, it just shows that our last build was successful 2 months ago. Not that no more builds were happening. This is unacceptable. So much so, that I am actually now reading the Travis CI to Circle CI migration document. Circle CI seems like a cheaper option for us now.

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

I believe I will be switch back. Travis seems like the expensive option now.

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

Circle CI seemed to be more friendly to my Ruby on Rails projects. When I switched to a Python project, it seemed like more of the open source python tools that I saw were using Travis CI. So I switched to Travis for this new project.

Thomas from PurpleGrocery

Great product - Pricing is insane for someone on a single team

Good experience - got hooked on the free trial, but it's time to move on as its costing an arm & a leg.

Pros

I really like Travis CI, creating .travis.yml files is easy enough & I love the interface for seeing my build progress. That said I'll be moving off of this platform very shortly.

Cons

The cost is insane - Azure DevOps offers pipelines for free, my AWS sites (5 of them) cost less to host than my Travis CI subscription, AWS has a DevOps implementation that is about $15/mo - even if Travis CI was at $20-$25/mo I would consider it as a solution.

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

I was working through a tutorial on AWS & this was offered as the CI / CD solution, since the trial was free I opted for it. Now that my project is in production though this pricing is my highest cost service & needs to be addressed.

Patryk from Computer Software

Recommendation

Pros

It's easy to use and configure and also a nice user experience.

Cons

It's expensive in comparison to other solutions

Dimitrios-Iason from SomewhereWarm

All good -- minor suggestions for improvement.

Pros

The product is easy to use -- even non-technical people in our team are able to have a look at it and understand why a test failed. It is good that it provides much info about each step it runs

Cons

The dev documentation can be improved -- we had some hard time setting up our acceptance test infrastructure as it wasn't clear to us where to set environment variables. Sometimes it takes a long time for Travis to indicate that a GitHub PR is being tested by displaying the orange dot -- not sure if this is a Travis or Github issue, though.

Nicolas from MetaBrainz

Loved Travis in the past, sad to be on my way out.

Between the cons described above, the service degradation I've observed in the past 6 months and your recent organizational and pricing changes (we are an open-source project and directly impacted), I'll be setting up Github actions to run my CI tests from here onwards (this is also about standardizing with other projects in my organization) and will deactivate my travis account.

Pros

It worked really nicely until about 6 months ago ! The previous unlimited open-source plan was generous, and a huge selling point.

Cons

Service has been less than ideal since the decision to move OSS projects travis-ci.org. We have felt this throttling of resources, and it was an indication that things were about tho change for the worse. I was surprised to find that from one day to the next my CI builds weren't being run anymore. Sure enough, you had a banner announcing the change from travis-ci.org to .com , but I didn't understand it would require changes on my side, and I didn't receive an email letting me know that my CI builds would just stop if I didn't manage it. I'll admit my fault in not checking more thoroughly. Moving from .org to .com was not as easy as I would have liked (Why do I need to sign up for a beta? Why is it in beta, and why do you need more decisions from me that I don't have all the information to decide?), but I eventually got there.

Tim from Wolf Software Limited

Wolf Software Travis Review

We have had a very positive result with Travis and we implement it on ALL of out projects from simple link checkers to fill docker build pipelines, it gives us single point of reference and consistency in all of our projects.

Pros

One of the key things was the direct integration with github making the running of jobs seamless to the developers. The wide variety of tools and language support are also very important.

Cons

The config files can be tricky to write when trying to adopt new features.

Chris from Computer software

Fast, free (for OSS) continuous integration testing

Ensuring that the master branch of my projects remains stable and of release quality, by only allowing changes that pass CI to be merged.

Pros

Web interface is fast and responsive. Builds are quite fast. It's free for OSS. Quite good documentation (comprehensive). Supports several environments, including Macs (and now Windows too).

Cons

Not so easy to determine exactly what you need to run (e.g. which packages to install, what to sudo). A simulator/interactive environment for testing would be nice!

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

We are also using Appveyor for Windows builds, because Travis did not support it at the time. However its web interface is much slower, its builds are slow, and documentation is not as good. Circle CI was frustrating to set up, and didn't seem to offer any advantages.

Ramindu from Virtusa Corporation

Effective continuous integration on the cloud

Travis CI helped my teams build continuous integration pipelines running on Github projects extremely easy and rapid.

Pros

Travis CI is the go-to continuous integration tool for open source projects thanks to its tight integration with Github. It provides a great set of tools on the cloud for integrating existing and new Github projects, configuring their build parameters and running builds based on various Github events such as the opening of pull requests which gives an unprecedented level of control to project leads on how code is merged in to projects.

Cons

Travis is a bit complex to integrate with version control platforms other than Github. Configuration to make it work with other platforms such as private GitLab servers can be tricky.

Duncan from Brain Enterprise

Industry: Research

Too Expensive For Individuals ($69/month) - No Option To Buy Private Repo Credits

Overall decent experience with the product. But it seems like when they switched from .org to .com and changed their pricing plans it really threw people for a loop.

Pros

Really easy to use, workflow was easy and UI is nice for debugging. No complaints about the product.

Cons

Too darn expensive. $69/month is too expensive for me and the one-time credit allowance would only get me so far before I have to switch. There needs to be some way to purchase minutes/credits on a pay as you go plan or a monthly allotment on a $5-10 a month plan.

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

I originally chose TravisCI because it was used in an online tutorial. But I feel forced to choose a different product after learning of their available usage plans. I can only afford a $5-10 plan and other companies offer better than that.

James from Activimetrics LLC

Not really sure what I'm doing still

Pros

Travis CI is great when it works. I can develop, pass my local tests, then push to github, etc and Travis CI will make sure that my tests pass on a variety of different virtual machines. That is great. I also like the rainbow flags.

Cons

I am perpetually confused when things break. On the good side there is fairly extensive documentation. However, a lot of times it is still chewing gum and duct tape. Big sticking point is interacting with services like coverage and code quality tools. I also never quite figured out what the deal was when they switched from Travis.org for open source accounts to travis.com. The transition was super janky, and I still have projects that I think are in the old system, despite trying to bulk transfer all of them.

Damien from Mooncard

Works, but deprecated UI

Pros

It does the job with reliability. I have no reason to change.

Cons

The UI has not evolved for years I think. I'm constantly doing the same 10 clicks to do the same things everyday, that I could have done in 1-click with a better UI. There are no insights, no "nice to have". It may work but I have absolutely no attachment to the product and could change without missing anything. In fact, I'll probably rationalize the number of tools we have by switching to Heroku CI or Github Actions, since they do as much as Travis I have no need for another tool.

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

Well known. Easy to configure.

Samwel from Billbored Inc

Travis CI Review

I have only used Travis CI on Github repositories so I am not sure how it works with other code hosting providers. In Github, It works like a charm.

Pros

Travis CI is easy to use, it has a nice and easy user interface that gets you started quickly. Travis CI is well documented which makes onboarding easy. Some of my associates thought that when you have private repositories, you have to pay to use it. I have been using it with my private repositories. If before you had to pay, now things have changed. It would be nice to help support the product though so that development can go on. The servers also require funds to run.

Cons

Everything is perfect as per now. I have not come across any issues.

Stephen from School of Electrical and Information Engineering

Great for Budding Software Engineers

Using Travis CI (educational plan) has helped my students to gain some real-world devops experience. It has allowed me, as an educator, to offer them this experience.

Pros

I use Travis CI in my software engineering class so that my students can build and deploy to cloud-hosted websites. My students find it relatively easy to setup and use. As an educator I have oversight over all of my students' projects. I find the build history particularly useful as I can see how often builds are occurring and whether they are passing or failing. Ideally, projects should be built often and most builds should succeed. Travis CI really helps me to assess these aspects.

Cons

There are no real cons that I can think of.

Travis CI is the Godfather of CI

Pros

For some reason Travis CI seems like the Godfather of CI even though it popped up at the same time as the others. I think this is because they aggressively had a bot add testing to open source projects, and it seemed to work.

Cons

For the price even though Travis CI is great its a little expensive.

Simon from OLY Be

Easy with limit

Globally is good but it's necessary to use two CI software.

Pros

Easy to run and find some example No breaking change

Cons

1 hour limit for iOS build. You must use two software ... Not a lot of new feature

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

iOS build take more than one hour. Just the build ...

Carlo from plusnew

Open Source Software

Pros

I used to like your approach to give back to the open source community.

Cons

That you changed your approach to giving back to the open source community.

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

I'm actually reconsidering to continue using travis.

Oz from FNHW

Travis meets my needs

We use to travis to build our API and deploy it. Various websites as well. Have used the product to integrate with Veracode.

Pros

Travis integrates with github, and slack.

Cons

Sometimes the scripting of yaml files is agonizing.

The long-standing king of open source CI/CD... but will it last?

Pros

Been using Travis-CI for about 8 years now, and it's always reliably hosted my OSS projects.

Cons

Now with new ownership we've been seeing more downtime. Hope they can keep it afloat!

Manuela from Intellisys

Robust platform

I have used it for deployments, software integration, and testing.

Pros

You can deploy and make integrated development environments with this. This facilitates testing and integration of software.

Cons

It is complex to set up. You have to read the documentation that is not too easy to follow. You could get better results following other tutorials.

Tom from self

Not much to say because it does everything I like.

Pros

It does exactly what I need, and gets out of the way.

Cons

I can't think of anything I'd improve. Perhaps a regular install of Python 3.8 and 3.9 without the matrix thing?

M. Serhat from Babbel

One of the pioneers of CI/CD

I would say 'yes' for TravisCI 2 years ago, but nowadays there are better alternatives to this product, such as Github Actions. My overall experience with TravisCI started quite positive but ended negatively because of the unreliable service they are providing at the moment. If you are running a critical business with 0 tolerance to downtime, TravisCI wouldn't be a wise choice nowadays.

Pros

TravisCI did a great job for many years, across different CI/CD tools, by providing a rich feature set and well-documented functionality.

Cons

Unfortunately, TravisCI is not very reliable. It's having constant downtimes for many months. TravisCI announced the deployment API v2 for a long time ago, but never released the stable version. On the other hand, after the recent acquisition of Idera, many talented developers have left the company. Therefore their development speed and shipment of the important features seem to be delayed.

Erik from Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine

Switching to gh-actions

Very pleased with the product

Pros

Works and integrates seemlessly. Love it.

Cons

Pricing model has changed. I understand. We are open source and non-profit so moving away.

Wechuli from Andela

Wonderful CI for Open-Source Projects

Travis CI is a great CI/CD tool that caters to most of my needs if am working for an open-source project.

Pros

- Comprehensive documentation for almost all popular languages and deployment environments - Built-in plugins to cloud providers such as AWS, Google Cloud and Azure - Free for all open-source projects - Fairly easy to use and configure for almost all CI/CD scenarios.

Cons

- It can be tricky to integrate with other online repositories other than GitHub such as Bitbucket. - You need to pay to support private builds.

An awesome tool to handle autmatic testing with Github

overall a great tool for running CI tests automatically.

Pros

Remove the manual work in running tests before merging code. Also it's scalable to multiple branches and developers. And it give viability on how the build is broken if any issues arise.

Cons

1. A bit slow comparing to running the tests on local machine. 2. Have a verbose limitation of 4MB.

Alexey from Computer Software

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Sole developer

Pros

* Easy to use * It was free for opensource

Cons

* The support has not been answering for 2 months * It look like it is not free for opensource now.

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

They have the plan for opensource projects

Michael from U.S. Army Research Lab

Broken promises

Horrible. Broken promises. Unresponsive support. Will not use it, and I will aggressively move anyone I collaborate with off Travis as quickly as possible. Travis breaking the open-source infrastructure has already cost me days if not weeks of additional work.

Pros

Before Travis got bought out and reneged on their promise to support open-source software, it was a cornerstone of my open source work. Alas, in its current form, I wouldn't touch Travis CI with a 10-foot pole. The only reason I still interact with it at all is that one of those projects is specifically for deploying documentation via Travis. As soon as I can move the project in a new direction, I'll be done with Travis for good.

Cons

Travis broke their promise of supporting Open Source with free CI service. I requested OSS credits months ago and got no reply. It's not that the paid tiers are prohibitively expensive. In principle, I might be able to expense CI costs. However, Travis' actions have eroded any and all trust I might have had in them, so I would not do business with them at any level

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

I did not choose Travis CI. I am actively moving from Travis CI to Github Actions for all my open source work