• Pros

• "The software is very easy to use. It easy to map and view data. We use several of their products. The customer support has always been great."

• "I liked the formatting of the site and the ease of use."

• "The software is user friendly and there is ease of use."

• Cons

• "The yearly license process is a bit cumbersome, but we work through it."

• "Newcomers might find the long list of options overwhelming at first, but the software is relatively easy to figure out."

• "Because there is so much in the rejection column, instead of just having the rejection code in one column, it is not that easy to sort by error code."

Browse EDI Power Reader Reviews

Alex from LL Medico USA Inc.

Very useful product

We mostly use the software to read in 277 response files from payers and then distribute that data in Excel format to our A/R staff. But also use it to read in 837's, 835's, etc from time to time rather than looking at the raw files.

Pros

Very easy for myself and staff to use. Helps us tremendously with sending data to staff across the organization in a timely manner. Mostly used to read 277's and distribute the denials to A/R staff.

Cons

Not much to dislike other than I have ran in to a few errors when trying to export data to Excel but their customer support helped right away with that and got it fixed.

Behavioral Health Provider - Ability to quickly review and filter data using EDI Power Reader

Having a human readable format for the files received related to file submission/payments is critical for follow up. The ability to transfer the data from EDI format to Excel is a time saver to work denials and track denials for our agency. This was one of the best decisions for our agency in read and working with our file data.

Pros

How user friendly the system is with EDI data is the #1 reason we use this software. The ability to export and filter is a must for our agency to assist in managing claims data. EDI reader makes this possible in a user friendly manner. The flexibility to read multiple files types within one piece of software related to claims submission/payment is ideal for our agency.

Cons

Renewal process and the need for the certificate can be time consuming for the user. In an ideal world I want IT to handle this and in our situation the user's work station is needed to update the license for the product for the year. I would want this to be seamless and not involve my work station and the downtime for the change.

Beth from Zepf Center

EMS/EDI Power Reader

We purchased it based on what we saw it could do for us, but when it came time to staff utilizing the software, they did not find it easy to use or understand how to make it work to meet our needs so we did not get the benefit out of it that we were hoping for.

Pros

I liked that it could give us information in a human readable format and provide eligibility info.

Cons

It was difficult to understand how to use and the requirements to get it to work to meet our needs.

Reasons for Choosing EDI Power Reader

Christopher from Canyon Vista Medical Center

EDI Power Reader

I have had issues with this software randomly for the past year displaying the remits with shrunken Text and Enlarged text. Customer service was unable to assist me and left me hanging for months never responding to my email in a timely manner. They eventually said that the issue are due to a third party component in Windows and they were unable to do anything further and stopped responding to me which is not good business. When the program works it works great and when it doesn't it's very frustrating.

Pros

I really like this software's format compared to others that I have used. Its easy to read and not cluttered.

Cons

A downfall to this software is that it cannot display more then one denial reason per line on the actual EOB. You have to go into the details report to see the rest of the denial data and some insurance companies have issues with the EOB's we send them stating they are missing required data because of this.

Teresa from Behavioral Health Billing Solutions

Essential tool for anyone doing billing

We run our 837's (billing files) and 835's (payment files) and merge them together with existing denial reviews we have completed for Ohio MCD and it drills down to the data so we can easily determine what needs work. Couldn't and wouldn't work without it.

Pros

The ease of use, export of the files we need, and the opportunities to utilize the data we pull through the reader are the reasons I love the EDI Power Reader. I couldn't do my job without it.

Cons

There is nothing I don't like. Occasionally, I will get an error if I try to run too big of combined files but it is very infrequent and I've learned my lesson.

Christina from Greater Cincinnati Behavioral Health Services

Love this program!

The customer service with the program is amazing as all I have to do is email and I almost always get an immediate response!

Pros

The EDI power reader was one of my best friends at my last job. It was so wonderful that I had to get it installed when I changed companies/positions. I love being able to change the formats of my files and change what columns that I want to see for each file.

Cons

There wasn't really that much that I didn't like about this program. It is for specific functions and it does it well.

Jackie from Health Priority Systems

A Lifesaver!

Reviewing our 837P files to all payers (especially MCOs) prior to submission. Verifying supervising/ordering fields are populated as appropriate. Verifying NPI is appearing correctly on claim. Again, a lifesaver with all of the changes in Ohio on January 1st, 2018 and again on July 1st, 2018.

Pros

Versatile and easy to use. I found the Power Reader to be a lifesaver with the dawn of Ohio BH Redesign as it allowed us to review our files (and make corrections) prior to 837 files being submitted, thereby avoiding time-consuming errors and denials.

Cons

The annual license renewal usually does not go smoothly for me, even when following the directions in the email. It may be my laptop settings, but I usually have to enlist an EMS staff member to help me get the new license applied correctly, and they are very responsive.

Cost Saver

When I know we are sending a clean claim out this generates quick turnaround for payments. This has saves us time and money.

Pros

This allows us to read a claim before it is submitted and correct any errors, this saves us time and money.

Cons

I have had some issues using the Tool Box but I think that is a learning issue not a software issue

PATRICIA from BAYADA HOME HEALTH CARE

GREAT TOOL

EVERY DAY USE IT'S A GREAT TOOL

Pros

EASY ACCESS TO PAYMENTS AND PULL UP REMITS SO WE CAN SEE THE PAYMENTS RECEIVE IN EITHER DISPUTING THEM WITH THE PAYORS

Cons

MORE OPTIONS FOR SORTING AND MAYBE SOME MORE DETAIL ON CHECK NUMBERS

Great software and company. Glad we found them.

We are using it to feed our Business Insight Software for denial reporting. I use it a lot when looking at our claim files and 835 for troubleshooting. We use it to report our HAF for Medicaid on our Financials. I have also used it for processing 834 files to get them in a usable format. I cannot say enough good things about the software!

Pros

Cons

The yearly license process is a bit cumbersome, but we work through it.

Eugene from UMASS-Public Provider Reimbursement

Provider staff

The bottom line for our users is that the reader gives them a quick and efficient method to display transactions, primarily remits (835s) in detail. For m the best effect is that users readily rely on it.

Pros

We enjoy the reader across the revenue offices primarily for its ease of use and functional simplicity in managing the multiple HIPAA transactions. For the users it is efficient and easy to utilize. In addition, from my perspective it is easy to upgrade and install.

Cons

My main 'wish list item' is to enhance the ability to setup/ configure the column/ fields for a transaction by enabling a selection feature that would permit me to not only select a field to display but at that time to be able to number the selected fields that would have the effect of sorting the columns in the display of data based on the selection criteria.

Barb from Chautauqua County Mental Hygiene

Essential Tool

Anytime I have needed help with the Power Reader, the staff at EMS has been quick to respond, friendly and helpful. What I love most is that they are easy to talk to. Very often when working with computer experts they forget that they are talking to people who don't share there technical knowledge. These guys are very good at taking that in to consideration.

Pros

This product is easy to use. When we were sending/receiving 837/835 files directly with the insurance sites we were very dependent on the Power Reader for viewing our files. The ability to sort files and only print the columns we need is a great paper saver. We have since started using a clearinghouse that offers some of the features of the reader however, we still don't feel like we can give it up. The ability to view file information including the loops and segments is essential when trouble shooting errors.

Cons

One thing our clearinghouse offers that this software does not is the ability to convert the 837 file info to a viewable HCFA 1500 image. This is helpful when calling an insurance company's claims department since their reps are often looking at the claim via a billing form template. This way we can both talk "boxes" instead of loops and segments.

Tim from Astrid Medical Services, Inc.

Long time customer

We have been using the software for over ten years, creating customized remittance reports for our clients, and could not be happier. There are other options on the market, but year after year we feel that the EDI Power Reader continue to be the best choice for us.

Pros

The software is extremely powerful in letting you decide which data to display and customize how it is displayed. You can filter to show only the information most relevant for you.

Elizabeth from Rensselaer County Mental Health

Industry: Mental Health Care

A lot of information in a little time!

I'm impressed with how quickly I can access any piece of information in the Reader. This tool is fast, and easy to use. This eliminates the need to write and run timely reports- which only show information after the file is posted. Knowing what's in the file prior to posting is a wonderful tool.

Pros

The ability to easily view file information before it's posted.

Cons

I've asked for the name of the file to print on the page when 'print' is selected. As always, the team was interested in our thoughts and says they will make this upgrade.

Aldo from MERAKEY

Excellent

We are mainly taking care of our 277 files, looking for rejections and generating the reports and send it to the propper parties. It's a very helpful software when it comes to auditing your IN and OUTS.

Pros

Easy to load files, easy to export reports.

Cons

the columns order setup...should be easier to just get a default order by the type of file. and another thing is that they should upgrade to a drag and drop loading mode. my humble opinion, the FILE + OPEN is so old school. Still works, but I think that a DRAG AND DROP the files would make things easier for user and at the same time would make the platform a little bit more user friendly.

Karen from Wingspan

The reader

I would say my overall experience is great. It is user friendly and good options for reporting.

Pros

My job is cash posting and reconciliation. The software is quick and efficient. I can read a file for payment documentation in minutes.

Cons

I think all the features are effective for the purpose. Maybe they could be compatible with other types of files. For example a insurance claim file.

theresa from The Nord Center

edi power reader

I use the EDI Reader everyday. it is easy to use and I like the fact that you can search, sort and get a summary. you can also export information into an excel spreadsheet.

Pros

I can search my 837 or 835. you can just see denials or paid claims. you can pull a summary of your 835.

Cons

there is nothing I do not like about it.

Suzanne from San Luis Valley Health

EDI Power Reader

Pros

This software allows us to convert 835 electronic posting files to PDF's. The PDF's are then uploaded automatically using a script into our document repository. This eliminates printing and manual scanning of each file.

Cons

The PLB segments or pass thru's are difficult to decipher with the power reader. We often go to another website to download a different version of the 835 remit in order to determine if the PLB's are actual take backs or an FYI only.

Marie from St. Vincent's Medical Center

Power Reader is an excellent product!

We have used EDI Power Reader for several years at our facility and it has become an essential toolbox for completing our daily tasks.

Pros

Ease of use, customer support is unmatched, functionality

Cons

I really can't think of any negative input that I could say about this product

Latoya from Child and Family Services

CLINICAL BILLING REIMBURSEMENT COORDINATOR

It is very easy to use and it provides the information I need to effectively complete my job.

Pros

It promptly gives me the information I need to ensure timely and accurate billing

Cons

I have not encountered any cons while using the software.

Wendy from Wingspan CG

Reviewing EDI Power Reader

This product is very helpful in following up with our Medicaid rejections on the 835. It has made that process so much easier.

Pros

I appreciate the product because it is very user friendly, it allows you to sort your report so easily by selecting the column titles you prefer. The rejection codes are easily discernible and the ability to sort by different columns is a good feature.

Michale from Shoreline Software Services

EDI Power Reader Review

We use the Power Reader to validate our own 837 file creations and to verify data coming from our customers. We use it in conjunction with the Export Engine and also to review 999s and 277s coming back.

Pros

It interprets segments even if out of sequence and allows me to export data to spreadsheets or text files for further analysis.

Cons

The segment list with the field name and corresponding loop and segment is in an order that make it hard to find where a field was mapped from. A listing option, to text file or spreadsheet, would be nice.

Jill from The Nord Center

software review

I have had good experiences with the power reader.

Pros

I liked the formatting of the site and the ease of use.

Cons

I don't have any dislikes for this software.

Marian from Holcomb Behavioral Health Systems, Inc

Industry: Mental Health Care

Works well, never a problem

Pros

The software is user friendly and there is ease of use.

Cons

Open with. I like the default mechanism.

tracy from Rescare, Inc

EDI reader review

Pros

Really functional when it comes to reading an 835 file.

Cons

Cannot convert a 999 file into specified sections

sam from Cedargate Technologies

Great Software

This is really good.

Pros

I love the simplicity of this program. The export feature is really helpful when working with others.

Cons

It does struggle with multiple large files.

Reasons for Choosing EDI Power Reader

Ease of use and flexability.

Jayne from Comhar Inc

reader review

We can use this to make sure all our i's are dotted and our T's crossed for formatting, and can easily see when something is wrong with a file.

Pros

Ease of use, tutorials availible to learn more uses for system. We use it for 835's and it puts everything in a very readable easy to understand format.

Cons

There is reallly nothing not liked, except the fact that you have to resubmit every once in a while to continue using.

Chelsea from Behavioral Health Billing Solutions LLC

Can't do my job without it!

Pros

It makes sense out of nonsensical ANSI format and enables manipulation of EDI data in an excel format.

Cons

Only, that it won't export my 824 files, yet!

Parisa from Custer Parkway Preschool LLc

Great functionality

We print and down load many work sheets and labels that requires the Adobe acrobat reader.

Pros

It is almost impossible to run or download anything without this extension on my desk top. Very much needed !

Cons

The only problem is that some time I experience some difficulties using this and i dont know why and i have to ask my IT guy to come and take a look at it.

Tiffany from St. Vincent's Medical Center

EDI Power Reader is so helpful and EMS is a great vendor to work with

The team has been very innovative and responsive when we request enhancements. Nothing feels better than working with a vendor that actually listens to you and quickly puts into play the suggestions you've made. We've had the tool for over 12 years and could not be happier!

Pros

Ease of use and clarity of output are the two best pros for this software.

Cons

None whatsoever. We have been pleased since day 1.

JENNIFER from AC3

Great, effective software

Pros

As an Administrator, the ability to quickly install and train our users are important. It is very user friendly and the filters provide many ways to quickly retrieve the data you are looking for. For our billing team, the ability to quickly find any "denials" from our payers is extremely important. Being able to select multiple files to view at once quickens this process.

Cons

The only "con" would be that there is not a cloud application. Having to install on each machine is not ideal - however the installation process is quick and easy.

Reasons for Switching to EDI Power Reader

Our other software was going out of business

Beth from Holcomb Behavioral Health

EDI for A/R

Pros

I like the ease of seeing information on each claim with the click of the mouse. I also appreciate the ease of exporting to a spreadsheet for full claim tracking.

Cons

If you forget to click on all payers, you only get information on one check included in the 835, not all information from the file

Great Experience

Having the EDI reader has truly helped me do my job better. Task that typically take me hours are minutes now because clear information given by the EDI reader.

Pros

I like that the EDI reader is so organized and user friendly.

Cons

Nothing yet. So far so good. I have not experienced a con yet.

Robyn from Hayes Management Consulting

EMS Power Reader is a great tool for managing EDI Transactions

EMS is a great company, I have had nothing but Positive experiences with my product and the Company.

Pros

Easy to use in almost 3 years have only had two problems and they were resolved quickly by support. I use it on a weekly basis and am happy with my results.

Cons

Nothing, the product delivers what is promised.

Michael from Girling Healthcare

great experience.

Pros

The report features that summarize file information & create remittance advice

Cons

Would like more report features. The ability to extract specific data from the file into a report such as submitter ID, Receiver ID, etc.

Marilyn from PT Home Services of San Antonio, Inc.

Personal Touch Review

It is a great software for me to use and ensure all my claims were processed and sent

Pros

This software is really easy to use, functional, and the visual features are great when looking for the information

Cons

I honestly haven't found anything wrong with the software

Michele from Association for Mental Health and Wellness (formerly Clubhouse of Suffolk)

Very useful

Great application, so helpful.

Pros

Edi power reader makes viewing and exporting 271 files and all other billing files fast and easy to use.

Cons

Exporting features are wonderful. We can export the data into Excel and filter/sort for easy reporting

Rosa from Canyon Vista Medical Center

Easy

I use it daily to review insurance remits.

Pros

I enjoy the fact that everything is easy to fine.

Cons

I have no complains regarding this software.

Melody from BestSelf Behavioral Health

EDI Power Reader

Easy to get a hold of when there is an issue - speedy resolution - friendly and willing to help!

Pros

Ease of use - nothing cumbersome - easy navigation

Cons

none to speak of - never had a problem that could not be resolved

Angie from Uintah Basin Healthcare

We needed to be able to convert our 835's and 837's to an excel format for use with a different product. This tool was affordable and did just what we needed it to.

Pros

This product was really easy to use. The price is great.

Cons

You can load multiple files at once however if once of the files is broken it doesn't tell you which one and you have to weed through your files in small chunks to figure it out.

Maria from Child and Family Services of Erie County

Billing Remittance Software

Great experience

Pros

Downloads fast and able to export detail.

Cons

I wish the headers would have the batch number of claims in it.

Laurie from The Nord Center

Sorting

Pros

I like that you can sort by any column so I can get the information I need .

Cons

Nothing really it does what I need it to do.

Brenda from The Nord Center

EDI Power Reader Review

very easy to work in and break down into my columns I need to work in

Pros

breaking down into denial reasons and codes

Cons

not much I have not found I haven't liked

Cory from MVP

Quick and easy

So easy to use and very helpful

Pros

Able to append all files loaded if you wish

Cons

Nothing at all, can’t think of anything

Satisfied Customer

Denials

Pros

Enables our agency to review files for errors

Cons

There is nothing I don't like about this software

Kristen from Privia Health

Review of EDI Power Reader

Great

Pros

It worked and had great features. It was pretty intuitive.

Cons

We had to pay for it. EZPrint is free and we'll use that now.

James from The Rybar Group

Very positive

Pros

I use the program to convert batches of 835s into single files that can be loaded into a database. When I have support or software issues they respond quickly, sometimes with an update to the program that addresses the issue.

Cons

The recent version allows for certain fields to be much wider, resulting in the creation of the resulting text file being much larger than created in previous versions.

Griselda from Butte County

EDI Power Reader

Pros

Easy to use, all information is very understandable, no issues encountered so far.

Cons

Nothing yet, it has been a positive experience using the software

Sara from Behavioral Health Billing Solutions LLC

EDI Power Reader

It has been a great experience, I have no complaints.

Pros

It is easy to use, easy to understand and navigate through.

Cons

From a convenience stand point, I wish it could read larger file sizes.

Worst EDI reader out there

Thankfully my time using this prouduct was very brief as we were able to change to a different EOB software.

Pros

Nothing.

Cons

I hated everything about this software. It was so difficult to use and lacked functionality and looked like it was from the 80's.

Reasons for Switching to EDI Power Reader

EOB one stopped their software. we had no choice but to switch.